OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
At COT, are we offered the 2,500 dollar interest free loan when we first arrive?

I read further back in this thread that such a loan is offered at OBLC to help cover the cost of uniforms and lodging. Wondering if its offered at COT. Thanks.
The $2500 cash advance is for USUHS folks beginning active duty. Not available for HPSP.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I was offered that, but you can get this military star credit card that has no interest on up to a certain amount for uniforms.

I had to get it because my credit card was turned off because they assumed the $1000 I was charging for uniforms was a fraudulent purchase on an assumed stolen card. :rolleyes:

Lol, nice. What's the limit on the military star card? Or is it dependent on the individuals credit?

The $2500 cash advance is for USUHS folks beginning active duty. Not available for HPSP.

Well then that'll work perfectly for me. So it is offered at COT, not just OBLC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, nice. What's the limit on the military star card? Or is it dependent on the individuals credit?
$500 zero interest credit for military clothing, then another interest-accruing limit you can spend on anything based on your credit score (mine was $3700 with an avg credit score). It's also an easy card to get approved for if you're looking to build your credit like I was. Generally excepted everywhere except the commissary on any Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine base.

For OBLC, how many pairs of ACUs did you need? The list of the site says 2 to 4, just wonder FPE what was best.

I would get three. I wouldnt go more....rumor mill is that we are going to be switching to the Multicam Camo in the near future. If you have three years or so to go before you go Active I would only get three and save money to use for the Multicam Camo when you go active.

who uses Multicam now?
They're rolling out Multicam as the uniform for those going to Afghanistan. They don't have it scheduled for stateside wear, though I could see it going in that direction in the coming years.

What are the closest hotels to ODS? Tried to google map it but it doesn't like the address they give for ODS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What are the closest hotels to ODS? Tried to google map it but it doesn't like the address they give for ODS. Any help is greatly appreciated.

how early are you getting there? if you haven't figured this out already, they told me I could check into the regular lodging that we'll be using for the whole 5 weeks on Saturday (June 12)

Members don't see this ad :)
how early are you getting there? if you haven't figured this out already, they told me I could check into the regular lodging that we'll be using for the whole 5 weeks on Saturday (June 12)

Did whoever told you we could check in on Saturday tell you anything about how late we could arrive?

I just got my travel arranged today after quite the hassle of finding out who to talk to, and they have scheduled my flights so that I arrive at 11:00pm Saturday... I am hoping I will still be able to check in that late!

Thanks so much and I'll see you Saturday or Sunday!

Did whoever told you we could check in on Saturday tell you anything about how late we could arrive?

I just got my travel arranged today after quite the hassle of finding out who to talk to, and they have scheduled my flights so that I arrive at 11:00pm Saturday... I am hoping I will still be able to check in that late!

Thanks so much and I'll see you Saturday or Sunday!

I don't remember if I got in that late, but I definitely got in late Saturday. It's no big deal - about half the company was there when I got there. The quarterdeck is staffed all night long (that's where you check in). You may have to take a taxi from the airport though, because the shuttle doesn't run that late - try to find other people coming in at the airport to carpool with. I flew by myself, but about 6 of us found each other trying to find a taxi, so we shared a van.

Looking forward to seeing everyone when OBC starts tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a giant cluster f*** getting from the airport to the base.

What is the typical progression into the different "privilege phases" at COT (like week 2 become third class, week three or four become second class, etc.)?

What is the typical progression into the different "privilege phases" at COT (like week 2 become third class, week three or four become second class, etc.)?
We weren't 2nd class until week 3, but my class was particularly bad. People were wearing civvies around the OTS complex randomly in week 2. Definitely pissed me off.

Last edited:
Just finished on Friday and our class wasnt too bad...but dont plan on being 3rd class until the 3rd weekend. 2nd class for the 4th...really the only time you can go out, then 1st class Wed-Friday of the last week so you can see family in town.
Based on my experience, I really doubt it will change for the coming class. Their reasons for withholding privileges were small things and when they would promote us it would be for getting one thing right. For example, it took us so long to get to 3rd class because people werent cupping their hands and the staff was seeing people talking in formation. Then despite a number of screwups in week 4 we still got bumped to second class because we did great at standardizing our hydration packs at LRC.
Good luck though and bring everything youll need for the first 2 weeks with you because you probably wont get a chance to go to the BX or commissary until then

Just finished on Friday and our class wasnt too bad...but dont plan on being 3rd class until the 3rd weekend. 2nd class for the 4th...really the only time you can go out, then 1st class Wed-Friday of the last week so you can see family in town.
Based on my experience, I really doubt it will change for the coming class. Their reasons for withholding privileges were small things and when they would promote us it would be for getting one thing right. For example, it took us so long to get to 3rd class because people werent cupping their hands and the staff was seeing people talking in formation. Then despite a number of screwups in week 4 we still got bumped to second class because we did great at standardizing our hydration packs at LRC.
Good luck though and bring everything youll need for the first 2 weeks with you because you probably wont get a chance to go to the BX or commissary until then

What squadron/flight were you in?

I was looking on the Navy officer training command website about ODS and they posted a list of required items to bring. It says 8 white shirts, 8 pairs of briefs, 10 white socks, 5 black socks, etc.
Do we really need to bring all that stuff or would you recommend just buying it there? Any other recommendations of items you would bring with you that made your life easier?
Thanks

The ever unimpressive Guardian squadron. Lima flight. With one of your future WSU classmates. You?

haha Lima won honor flight for 10-05 last week. Guardians aren't doing so shabby. :)

the gwiffindors on the other hand... PU :p

Yep! Slowly but surely. When are you going? I'm in the 11-04 class

Yep! Slowly but surely. When are you going? I'm in the 11-04 class

I'll be in 11-04, too! I feel like we need a Facebook or something, but I didn't want to start one without finding at least one other person first!

Nice! Yea im down for starting one, hopefully it'll come in handy before we go, if not I'm sure it will after.

So I received a call today regarding my orders for OBLC this summer. I had been calling around the Army HPSP office for a few days now regarding my status. According to the phone call I had received a seat, which is great because I wanted to complete this before starting med school so that I could take a vacation between MS1 and MS2. Even though he said I had a seat I thought it may be a good idea to edge on the side of caution and wait for my actual orders in the mail.

I would check my AKO email, but I haven't been able to get this stupid thing to work for about 4 months now considering it has never been "approved by my sponsor". Despite numerous attempts to contact the Army help desk, and get this fixed it's never been fixed.

Anyway my concern is the ticket to get down to San Antonio for the summer. I don't want to wait to long or not get reimbursed for my ticket. Should I just wait for my physical orders in the mail? Or should I go ahead and purchase a ticket to arrive June 12th? Uniform and miscellaneous other items should be alright considering my recruiter said he'd spend a few hours making sure I got all the right uniform items.

Any insight would be very helpful thank you.

So I received a call today regarding my orders for OBLC this summer. I had been calling around the Army HPSP office for a few days now regarding my status. According to the phone call I had received a seat, which is great because I wanted to complete this before starting med school so that I could take a vacation between MS1 and MS2. Even though he said I had a seat I thought it may be a good idea to edge on the side of caution and wait for my actual orders in the mail.

I would check my AKO email, but I haven't been able to get this stupid thing to work for about 4 months now considering it has never been "approved by my sponsor". Despite numerous attempts to contact the Army help desk, and get this fixed it's never been fixed.

Anyway my concern is the ticket to get down to San Antonio for the summer. I don't want to wait to long or not get reimbursed for my ticket. Should I just wait for my physical orders in the mail? Or should I go ahead and purchase a ticket to arrive June 12th? Uniform and miscellaneous other items should be alright considering my recruiter said he'd spend a few hours making sure I got all the right uniform items.

Any insight would be very helpful thank you.

Never, NEVER purchase a ticket for ADT while you are in HPSP. Once your orders have been cut, you need to contact Carlson Travel (the ONLY authorized travel agent) to arrange your travel. The phone number to contact Carlson can be found on the MODS website.

While I'm at it, do not allow Carlson to book you a flight on any day prior to the start and finish listed on your orders. Your orders are very specific and state that "Travel must be performed within the 45 days". Carlson books travel for everyone, not just HPSP. Most orders (other than HPSP) allow for reporting to and from "on or about" a certain date. Your ADT orders do not.

Good to know. Thank you, and I will wait until I receive my orders to contact him.

No, that's not the same as orders. My recruiter (Air Force) told me to expect my orders 2-3 weeks prior to departure.

Does reservation in the course count as orders? I received an email saying I had a reservation for OBLC. Time to call Carlson?

On another note is there any advantage to having top marks in the fitness tests?

yes, this I would like to know. I run/lift/workout on a regular basis and it would be nice to know if theres even a point at trying to ace the fitness test. Lately I've modified by workout routine so I can do well on it, but it would still be nice to know if its even needed

yes, this I would like to know. I run/lift/workout on a regular basis and it would be nice to know if theres even a point at trying to ace the fitness test. Lately I've modified by workout routine so I can do well on it, but it would still be nice to know if its even needed

The people I have talked to have all said that as long as you pass, I don't remember how many pts you need, we will all be lumped together. If you don't pass, then you have remedial for all of BOLC.

If you pass, free ice cream and cigars I believe.

I'll be in 11-04, too! I feel like we need a Facebook or something, but I didn't want to start one without finding at least one other person first!

I just finished COT 11-03 and requested to join your FB group.

I'd be happy to pass along whatever info you'd like. Our 11-03 FB group was a big help for those of us in it.

I just finished COT 11-03 and requested to join your FB group.

I'd be happy to pass along whatever info you'd like. Our 11-03 FB group was a big help for those of us in it.
Thanks! You have been added, and I look forward to picking your brain over the next few days!

Does anyone have a packing list for Army OBLC?

The website for the school is offline & I've got orders soon. Also information on what personal supply is permitted (personal TA-50, ect.)

Thanks,

T.D. Ritch de Herrera, M.D.

Planning on applying for HPSP, but am worried about COT.

1. I'm out of shape, but I can fix that. I'm starting to work out more to get back into shape before COT. What do the workouts consist of in the AMs?

2. I'm scared of heights and worried about the ropes course. Did anyone have someone in their class who was scared of heights? How did they get through it? Any suggestions for me?

3. How often do you get to call home nowadays?

4. I tend to cry when I am screamed at. May be pathetic, yes, but that's the way I am. How much yelling will actually happen at COT?

I've read a lot of the posts but it seems that all of them that talk about what COT is really like are all 5+ years old. Has anything changed?

Last edited:
Planning on applying for HPSP, but am worried about COT/ODS (haven't decided between Air Force & Army, yet).

1. I'm out of shape, but I can fix that. I'm starting to work out more to get back into shape before COT/ODS. What do the workouts consist of in the AMs?

2. I'm scared of heights and worried about the ropes course. Did anyone have someone in their class who was scared of heights? How did they get through it? Any suggestions for me?

4. I tend to cry when I am screamed at. May be pathetic, yes, but that's the way I am. How much yelling will actually happen at COT/ODS?

I've read a lot of the posts but it seems that all of them that talk about what COT or ODS is really like are all 5+ years old. Anything changed

This is COT (AF) specific:

1. The workouts consist of running, push-ups, sit-ups and things of that nature (leg kicks and whatever else). If you can pass the PT test, you will be fine. You are in a large group anyway so it's not like you are being stared at constantly. You can tell that some people have more trouble than others, but I never saw anyone get called out as long as they looked like they were trying. Put in the effort, and you will be ok. Again, be able to pass the PT test and then don't worry about it.

2. We had someone afraid of heights. They gave it a try and pretty much froze up right away. They try and make you do it, but they are also ok with you giving up early if you at least try. While they do yell sometimes (see 4), they will not yell at you for being afraid of heights.

3. You can usually call or email any time at night. You aren't supposed to have your cell phone, but after dinner, you are usually back in the dorms doing stuff. You always pretty much have something to be doing, but you can take some time to call or email people.

4. At COT, we actually had a fair amount of yelling. Pretty much the second we stepped off the bus. Yelling goes down as the weeks progress. But yes, you will be yelled at. Most of the time, the yelling will be more generalized and not directed at you specifically (unless you mess up quite a bit, and yes, we did have those people). I'll admit, it can get pretty intimidating in the moment. In the long run, if you just keep your cool and correct your mistake, it's no big deal at all. Do expect to get yelled at, try not to react much to it because any reaction may cause them to yell more.

Overall, they try and stress you out. You are up at 4:30 every morning, they yell at you for mistakes, and you have very little free time. This all relaxes as time goes on, and you get into a groove. You just have to be able to hang in there for a bit, and it ends up being a pretty cool experience.

Hope that helps.

If they yell at you, try not to take them too seriously. It's not OCS. You're not competing for a spot. You've already made the cut and are a commissioned officer. They might play silly games pretending it's boot camp for teenage high school grad recruits, but ultimately, if you're there, you're done proving yourself to the military.

Honestly, don't sweat it. You'd have to do something truly outrageous and be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay outside the box to run afoul of the system at that point.

I did the Navy version forever ago, and it was 70% bull****, 20% useful, and 10% enjoyable. Focus on the 10%, the other 90% will pass. :)

Thank you everyone who posted here. I was panicking a little about being able to survive the ODS in the Navy or the COT in the AF.

One quick question though: Which one is more professional? The AF's COT or the Navy's ODS?

Thank you everyone who posted here. I was panicking a little about being able to survive the ODS in the Navy or the COT in the AF.

One quick question though: Which one is more professional? The AF's COT or the Navy's ODS?

What do you mean by professional? Are you asking which has less yelling?

Planning on applying for HPSP, but am worried about COT.

1. I'm out of shape, but I can fix that. I'm starting to work out more to get back into shape before COT. What do the workouts consist of in the AMs?

4. I tend to cry when I am screamed at. May be pathetic, yes, but that's the way I am. How much yelling will actually happen at COT?

I've read a lot of the posts but it seems that all of them that talk about what COT is really like are all 5+ years old. Has anything changed?

One thing never changes -- the whole situation of entry training / field training / basic training is meant to induce stress and prepare you for an austere environment. Showing effort and following the rules will make up for any real or perceived lack of ability. Crying is not pathetic, it is a natural response to the perception of being out of control, so I wouldn't worry about that. You will be asking for more yelling, however, if you make it obvious that you don't care about the Air Force and it's silly training rules that the instructors bleed Blue for. Plus, after the 4 weeks are up, you get to go back to being a rockstar med student getting free money from Uncle Sam without any headaches... for 4 more years anyway...

What do you mean by professional? Are you asking which has less yelling?

nothing funnier than an enlisted training instructor being forced to salute you before ripping you a new one. I wonder if anybody ever tried not returning the salute... how long before he/she gets sick of holding the salute and blows a gasket?

nothing funnier than an enlisted training instructor being forced to salute you before ripping you a new one. I wonder if anybody ever tried not returning the salute... how long before he/she gets sick of holding the salute and blows a gasket?

Believe me, nothing good can come of playing these games with the enlisted instructors at these courses, or any course for that matter.

If they try to go all Hartman Full Metal Jacket on you, take it in stride and not too seriously. After all, this isn't OCS ... you're already commissioned, you're not really being evaluated, and they can't really hurt you. If they're not being genuinely abusive or inappropriate, just play along and go with it.

Passive aggressive games with them will get the attention of the people who are really in charge, people who do outrank you, and they can give you more trouble than it's worth.