OIS/OBC/COT info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I just found the answer to my question, one of the 2nd year students here at school said this:

"On average we ran 2-3 days a week at COT[last summer], not that much. There were two days during our whole time there where we had to run a set distance, which was 3 miles, the rest of the time we ran for a set amount of time, usually around 20 minutes."

All of the running is pretty much at your own pace. It's almost always a self-paced run for 20-25 minutes. One of the days we did intervals where you jog a quarter lap then spring a quarter lap. We continued this for 1.5 miles. One day you will do a 5K run which doesn't count toward anything individually, but the 5K times will factor in toward honor flight. After the run, you will do 50 pushups and 50 situps, but they are staggered so you do 10 pushups then 10 situps, 5 times each. One day of PT will be a "core-training" day where you do a pretty intense workout of maxing out pushups in 1 min., wide-stance pushups, diamond pushups, situps, alternating situps (working obliques), planks, and the Tom Cruise exercise from Mission Impossible where you lay on your stomach and hold up your hands and legs and move in a swimming motion.

Overall the PT isn't too bad, the worst is getting acclimated to the heat/humidity.

If you fail your PFB at the beginning, you can't participate in the assault course and will be told to work on specific areas where you had problems. The PFA (physical fitness assessment) is the second to last Monday and if you fail it, nothing really happens as far as I could tell. One individual failed both PFB and PFA and they failed the last written test and they still graduated.

Members don't see this ad.

"If you fail your PFB at the beginning, you can't participate in the assault course and will be told to work on specific areas where you had problems."

Actually if you fail your PFB in the beginning, you will be given a chance to do a retake PFB in one week. I know one week seems short, but there were people who went up 5 points in their PT test a week later.

I am currently attending ODS (week 3 out of 5!) and I think the best things to prepare in advance are:

1. Learn the rank, insignia and collar devices of the Navy and Marines (if you're really bored learn Army and AF but they don't care about them here). Be sure you can accurately describe it, so like a W1 collar device is a "gold bar with two blue breaks" not "a gold bar with two blue boxes". A few people had these OCS books that their recruiter gave them with all of that info; if you can get 'em I'd do it.
2. Get in shape; be able to perform at the "satisfactory medium" level and you will be fine. No girl pushups allowed.
3. Learn how to do your hair within regs if you're a girl. If you have frizzy hair, buy some gel that will hold it down (no fly-aways). If you're a guy, they'll make you cut it if they don't like it.
4. If you can, practice making the hospital corners on the bed because I was freaking out about it for room inspections.
5. Don't volunteer for leadership positions unless they are really simple because otherwise you've got a lot of extra responsibility that can be a pain in the ass. On the one hand, it's good leadership experience but on the other hand, it sucks.

Otherwise don't worry about pre-learning the other "memorization" stuff they do because it's really easy to catch on. The rank/insignia stuff was the most stressful because it just took a while to learn the enlisted stuff (at least for me) so a headstart seems like a good idea.

They have a gear closet here with a lot of cleaning/laundry stuff so I'd hold off on anything until you got here because if they don't have it (or there's not a lot of it) you can buy it at the NEX. Some people (myself included) bought their own iron here at the NEX for like $7 and I think it's been useful. And buy some nail clippers or little scissors for the little IP's (the little strings that come out on the uniform).

Members don't see this ad :)
And buy some nail clippers or little scissors for the little IP's (the little strings that come out on the uniform).

Just a little tip from a friendly neighborhood NCO...those pesky strings are easily and efficiently burnt off with a lighter. Not that a nail clipper won't do the trick, but those strings have a tendancy of showing up again after you wash your uniform, and sometimes it helps to carry a lighter because if you're in a hurry in the morning, sometimes you don't catch them all before leaving, and who likes to walk around with little strings hanging off your uniform all day?

zephyrhills123, I am going to be attending ODS July 26 to Aug 28. What is the atmosphere like? Is it like basic training (boot camp) which I attended 16 years ago with the Army or is it a little more relaxed atmosphere? Also, what is the daily schedule like, I still have things to get done for my overseas duty station and my hospital credentialing, will I have some time during business hours to get this taken care of?
Thanks

zephyrhills123, I am going to be attending ODS July 26 to Aug 28. What is the atmosphere like? Is it like basic training (boot camp) which I attended 16 years ago with the Army or is it a little more relaxed atmosphere? Also, what is the daily schedule like, I still have things to get done for my overseas duty station and my hospital credentialing, will I have some time during business hours to get this taken care of?
Thanks

The prior enlisted here think it is more relaxed than basic training (although none are from the Army); it's probably because they know what to do already and the lectures are essentially an introduction to the Navy system. It's hard to give a general schedule because it is always getting more relaxed each week. Classes are from 1300-1730, starting that Friday of the first week. If you have to do something during the day, you'll probably be allowed to skip that period of time but I wouldn't bank on being able to do so until at least the second week (also, no on-base liberty until the second weekend).

The first week was the most intense; on that Tuesday the chiefs run around waking you up by yelling and kicking on doors. They are constantly with you and yelling at you (this week is probably the closest to basic training), you won't have any free time at all and you'll probably be too exhausted anyway. If you get Chief Maioriello, you'll be proficient at flutter kicks and pushups because they are his favorite punishment, lol. The second week is slightly better (filled with classes) but I wouldn't bank on being able to do the things you need to do. By the third week, Chief was barely there (maybe saw him for a total of an hour every day) and people were allowed to do the things they needed to get done (it probably has a lot to do with your LCPO, but I think they are flexible with stuff like that).

Otherwise PT is at 0500 and breakfast is around 0600 and dinner around 1730. In the third week we were granted on-base weeknight liberty but before that you weren't allowed to leave King Hall even if you had nothing to do. No off-base liberty until the third weekend, and we were told we would have overnight privileges this upcoming (fourth) weekend and be allowed to wear civilian clothes. As per usual, if we piss him off he can revoke it though.

Thanks zephyrhills123, I am planning to arrange my own travel to the local airport. I am traveling from Tampa, I called the training command in Newport and they weren't sure. Did you arrange your own travel to Newport?

Thanks zephyrhills123, I am planning to arrange my own travel to the local airport. I am traveling from Tampa, I called the training command in Newport and they weren't sure. Did you arrange your own travel to Newport?

I didn't; when I filled out the orders, they arranged the flights and sent the itinerary to me. You can also view it on NROWS... if you're going on the 26th, it should probably be on there if you haven't gotten it emailed to you already. Try calling a woman named Shirley (I believe that's her name) and she can help you out with it. I don't have her number but it's probably on those fast facts emails they send out.

The prior enlisted here think it is more relaxed than basic training (although none are from the Army); it's probably because they know what to do already and the lectures are essentially an introduction to the Navy system. It's hard to give a general schedule because it is always getting more relaxed each week. Classes are from 1300-1730, starting that Friday of the first week. If you have to do something during the day, you'll probably be allowed to skip that period of time but I wouldn't bank on being able to do so until at least the second week (also, no on-base liberty until the second weekend).

The first week was the most intense; on that Tuesday the chiefs run around waking you up by yelling and kicking on doors. They are constantly with you and yelling at you (this week is probably the closest to basic training), you won't have any free time at all and you'll probably be too exhausted anyway. If you get Chief Maioriello, you'll be proficient at flutter kicks and pushups because they are his favorite punishment, lol. The second week is slightly better (filled with classes) but I wouldn't bank on being able to do the things you need to do. By the third week, Chief was barely there (maybe saw him for a total of an hour every day) and people were allowed to do the things they needed to get done (it probably has a lot to do with your LCPO, but I think they are flexible with stuff like that).

Otherwise PT is at 0500 and breakfast is around 0600 and dinner around 1730. In the third week we were granted on-base weeknight liberty but before that you weren't allowed to leave King Hall even if you had nothing to do. No off-base liberty until the third weekend, and we were told we would have overnight privileges this upcoming (fourth) weekend and be allowed to wear civilian clothes. As per usual, if we piss him off he can revoke it though.
Man, Army was a summer camp compared to some of these stories of Navy and Air Force. Things were a little more strict in the field but on base we stayed in a hotel (BOQ). Wouldn't know the difference until you walk outside. After class each night was free to do with as we wish. Usually didn't go out on the town until the weekend tho since class and the occasional PT was fairly early.

Man, Army was a summer camp compared to some of these stories of Navy and Air Force. Things were a little more strict in the field but on base we stayed in a hotel (BOQ). Wouldn't know the difference until you walk outside. After class each night was free to do with as we wish. Usually didn't go out on the town until the weekend tho since class and the occasional PT was fairly early.

Man, that's crazy... I'm jealous! :caution:

I'm currently at COT if anyone wants more recent info.

it's definitely a lot stricter than some on here have described. however, part of it could be the fact that our class is over 300 people.

living accomodations are nice and it's not that hard. it's just exhausting because you're going from 0430 to 2200 every day. it's more of an exercise to see how far they can push you until you break (mentally). if you look at it as such, you'll be fine. just follow the rules and don't complain. and above all, keep a straight face when they're yelling at you. :laugh:

Hi Jolie,

Did you get your uniforms and have everything sewed on before you left for COT. I was up visitng my permanent duty station and purchased most things. Would like to hear whatever advice you have. I'll be attending COT 8/25.

no, i did not purchase my uniforms in advance. I didn't have any problems getting my sizes or anything and they budget a good deal of time for AAFES. the first day EVERYONE went to AAFES regardless of if they had uniforms or not.

COT is really not that bad. the first 2 days are the worst. get through that and you'll be ok. it's mostly a mindgame to see how much stress you can take.

don't stay up too late getting stuff done. i didn't. i value my sleep and would go to bed at around 10 every night. i still managed to score mid 90s on everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
no, i did not purchase my uniforms in advance. I didn't have any problems getting my sizes or anything and they budget a good deal of time for AAFES. the first day EVERYONE went to AAFES regardless of if they had uniforms or not.

COT is really not that bad. the first 2 days are the worst. get through that and you'll be ok. it's mostly a mindgame to see how much stress you can take.

don't stay up too late getting stuff done. i didn't. i value my sleep and would go to bed at around 10 every night. i still managed to score mid 90s on everything.

My biggest concern is the food, I just dont understand how they can feed you junk food for a month....it is one thing to feed bad food, but a completely different issue to feed you things that are fundamentally unhealthy and not give you any other option

If COT runs at all similar to ODS, I can say that the quality of the food will not be a concern. By the second week, I was starving well before every meal, and the focus was on stuffing my face as quickly as I could with whatever relatively low-fat options I had. Even then, I was running a calorie deficit and ended up losing as much weight as I had hoped to lose, while eating more than I normally would.

Junk food? The food at COT was good Southern cooking.

I heard they were given things like lucky charms and fruit loops for cereal, nutrigrain bars, ect. The only fruit they got was in syrup, ect. ect. and that there were very few options for quality protein or veggies. I'm not picky, give me some protein and some steam veggies and I'm fine, but I will simply get ill if fed junk

I heard they were given things like lucky charms and fruit loops for cereal, nutrigrain bars, ect. The only fruit they got was in syrup, ect. ect. and that there were very few options for quality protein or veggies. I'm not picky, give me some protein and some steam veggies and I'm fine, but I will simply get ill if fed junk

there's plenty to choose from...I think after the first week the only mandatory meal is lunch so you can do as you please

there's plenty to choose from...I think after the first week the only mandatory meal is lunch so you can do as you please

umm.. . no. until week 4, you have to eat every meal in the DFAC (dining facility). even when you get 1st class privileges at the end, you still have to eat breakfast and lunch there Monday through Saturday.

LauraDO is right on with the food. It sucks. The only reprieve is that there is a salad bar and they do sell some apples, oranges, bananas, and yogurt. I never ate at the salad bar because it took too long to load up my plate and would cause me to have to sit with people in other flights. Pretty much anything you get in the hot line is unhealthy.

umm.. . no. until week 4, you have to eat every meal in the DFAC (dining facility). even when you get 1st class privileges at the end, you still have to eat breakfast and lunch there Monday through Saturday.

LauraDO is right on with the food. It sucks. The only reprieve is that there is a salad bar and they do sell some apples, oranges, bananas, and yogurt. I never ate at the salad bar because it took too long to load up my plate and would cause me to have to sit with people in other flights. Pretty much anything you get in the hot line is unhealthy.

Ok nice tone......anyway things may have changed since I went through sorry for the misinformation....our class did not follow the progression of class status as laid out in the manual. After week one things were a lot more relaxed but that was summer of 2006.

well #$%@# looks like I am starving.....Honestly this has got me really stressed out. I'm not trying to be difficult or anything but if I try to eat that junk I WILL get sick. I'm an athlete and have had a healthy diet my whole life, I also don't have any excess weight to lose (in fact I constantly work to gain) so just not eat anything but bananas and apples from the salad bar just wont cut it

Any suggestions of what I might do? Doctors notes of some kind? beg and plead? Anything?

Honestly this has got me really stressed out. I'm not trying to be difficult or anything but if I try to eat that junk I WILL get sick. I'm an athlete and have had a healthy diet my whole life, I also don't have any excess weight to lose (in fact I constantly work to gain) so just not eat anything but bananas and apples from the salad bar just wont cut it
Out of curiosity, how are you planning on dealing with deployment or assignments where you don't have any choice but MREs or whatever they happen to serve? I respect your healthy lifestyle, but I would think that in the service you won't always find yourself with the diet you're accustomed to.

Out of curiosity, how are you planning on dealing with deployment or assignments where you don't have any choice but MREs or whatever they happen to serve? I respect your healthy lifestyle, but I would think that in the service you won't always find yourself with the diet you're accustomed to.

No, I do understand this, but frankly I would rather eat MREs than fruit loops, at least I could pick out some quality protein from the MRE's I can't say I would get anything of any value from fruitloops :(

In a training environment, you're going to expend far more calories than you normally would, even as an athelete. You'll be uncomfortable and mildly dehydrated. You will be provided with the MREs, and you'll eat a small amount of it, which will give you a fair amount of calories in a small quantity of food. This isn't junk food.

You'll be fine. It may not taste great, but it will stay down.

Of course, like the rest of us, you'll probably be constipated for a few days.

I know that is why I am so concerned, I lose weight very easily as it is and I don't want to take any chances, the MRE's might work, I guess I hadn't thought about that option, I also wonder if maybe I could bring a small refridgerator for my room to keep some items like hard boiled eggs, chicken breasts ect. so I can get more protein in. The protein is really what I am worried about, as long as I have protein I can live, but by the sounds of it they really didn't get much

So at COT unless the rules have changed you are allowed to keep food in your dorm room provided it is kept in a closed container (they don't want bug problems). I don't think there was a mini fridge in there so it has to be non-perishables. There are no room inspections so nobody will give you crap about it. They don't serve health food there but your flight commander should help you out if you ask. I highly doubt you are alone in this. Be prepared to adapt, as it is expected of you and above all be professional about it and you'll be much more likely to get some help. You only have to stick it out until you meals aren't required should be less than 4 weeks....heck your only there what 5 right? I can double check with a friend who just finished and find out for you when meals are no longer required events....will post here as soon as she responds.

So at COT unless the rules have changed you are allowed to keep food in your dorm room provided it is kept in a closed container (they don't want bug problems). I don't think there was a mini fridge in there so it has to be non-perishables. There are no room inspections so nobody will give you crap about it. They don't serve health food there but your flight commander should help you out if you ask. I highly doubt you are alone in this. Be prepared to adapt, as it is expected of you and above all be professional about it and you'll be much more likely to get some help. You only have to stick it out until you meals aren't required should be less than 4 weeks....heck your only there what 5 right? I can double check with a friend who just finished and find out for you when meals are no longer required events....will post here as soon as she responds.

Thank you I appreciate anything you find out

Thank you I appreciate anything you find out

OK here's the deal...

"...but looking back, it was pretty fast! In regards to privileges- Week 3 for off campus? Then Week 4 for off base? I can't really remember very well, because we earned them as a class, then a few people took advantage of it and messed up a bit, so it was taken away, then given back- a little bit of a blur."

So that makes two weeks for meals required. Once you have off campus privileges you can go to the commissary, and anywhere on base as soon as you get done with class. I think our class was along the same lines.....recalling flight dinners and weekends at Buffalo wild wings. You will have fun though getting to know the people in your flight...

OK here's the deal...

"...but looking back, it was pretty fast! In regards to privileges- Week 3 for off campus? Then Week 4 for off base? I can't really remember very well, because we earned them as a class, then a few people took advantage of it and messed up a bit, so it was taken away, then given back- a little bit of a blur."

So that makes two weeks for meals required. Once you have off campus privileges you can go to the commissary, and anywhere on base as soon as you get done with class. I think our class was along the same lines.....recalling flight dinners and weekends at Buffalo wild wings. You will have fun though getting to know the people in your flight...

Thanks for this, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

Ok nice tone......anyway things may have changed since I went through sorry for the misinformation....our class did not follow the progression of class status as laid out in the manual. After week one things were a lot more relaxed but that was summer of 2006.

sorry for the shortness. i was sleep deprived. feeling much better now.

as for my class, we were required to eat at the DFAC for breakfast and lunch regardless of privileges Mon-Sat. Only as first class (the last few days) were we allowed to eat dinner elsewhere. my class was very limited and they were very strict as we were such a large group (300). we were not allowed to go back to the dorms at any point during the day without asking our flight commander.

maybe it's different in smaller classes, but they certainly cracked the whip for us.

for LauraDO, there is a wide variety of food. a lot of it is crap, but you should be able to find something that will work for you. however, this might mean eating the same thing for breakfast, lunch, etc. every single day.

When I asked, back in the spring of this year, I was told that 2009 dates probably wouldn't be available until late 2008 or early 2009.

Any word on 2009 OIS dates??

Email sent out the the Navy HPSPers:

Dear HPSP Participant Class of 2011 & 2012,

All officers must attend Officer Development School (ODS) prior to reporting on active duty. ODS is a five week course held in Newport Rhode Island. It is a mandatory AT for participants in the HPSP/FAP programs. Please schedule your ODS training if you have not already attended. The dates for ODS in 2009 are:
moz-screenshot-6.jpg
moz-screenshot-7.jpg
ODS.jpg

Seats are limited, so the earlier you apply for a seat, the better your chances of getting the desired date. Some students have already reserved their seats.

Once you decide on a date that works for your schedule, please contact me, at [email protected] and let them know which date you want. A seat will be reserved for you if available. If a seat is not available, you will be put on the waiting list.

Please ensure that you have a current Annual Verification Form and HIV on file with the Accessions Medical Section. You must have had an HIV test within 2 years of your ODS start date and your Annual Verification Form must be dated within 1 year of your ODS start date. For questions about your HIV and annual verification status, contact Accessions Medical Section at [email protected]. Please use the subject line of “Annual Verification Status.”

Once you have been notified that you have a seat in the desired ODS class, you must apply for orders through the Navy Reserve Order Writing System (NROWS). Instructions for NROWS are located under my signature block and on the Accessions Website. Once you have entered your request for orders, an Accessions Order Writer will process your orders and arrange your travel. Your orders will be available on line in NROWS about a week before your travel. Your orders will include electronic airline tickets.

If you have additional questions, please contact me.

Jon F. Green
NROWS Coordinator
Navy Medicine Manpower, Personnel, Training, & Education Command (NAVMED MPT&E)
8901 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20889-5611
Comm: (301) 319-4538, DSN 285-4538
Fax: (301) 295-1811
.E-Mail: .[email protected].

I'm a fan of how I never got the above email, and I'm part of the c/o 2011. I was told in Oct when I inquired as to ODS dates that they wouldn't be finalized until the early part of the year (as there was some conflicting information about that dates at the time of my inquiry). Now, according to the FastFacts, the only class I could attend this summer is full with a significant wait list. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to complete ODS now (as this is my summer between 2nd and 3rd). Oh well.

I'm a fan of how I never got the above email, and I'm part of the c/o 2011. I was told in Oct when I inquired as to ODS dates that they wouldn't be finalized until the early part of the year (as there was some conflicting information about that dates at the time of my inquiry). Now, according to the FastFacts, the only class I could attend this summer is full with a significant wait list. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to complete ODS now (as this is my summer between 2nd and 3rd). Oh well.
the right hand never talks to the left hand in all military branches it seems...at least I can vouch for the army on that one! Sounds like the navy is the same way too

I read through this particular topic, don't know if I missed..and excuse me if I did, but if I just signed onto HPSP, do I do the COT before med school starts, or can I choose between which summers to do it?

Is the 45 days reporting to AD every summer from here on after(which is what I read on the HPSP testimony), or do I only have to attend one of these my entire four years(which is what my recruiter mentioned)?

Blahhh...why so much confusion:confused:

Ok after research, I found the answer to my question. Just wanted to verify if I had the correct information. So there are 4 AD tours, which one of them is the COT training right?

COT training is usually done the summer before med school.

The second AD is done during the first summer after first year of med school.

The third and Fourth AD tours are done as clinical rotations during the third and fourth year at Naval Base Clinic for Navy HPSP students? And these CAN serve as audition rotations? Assuming your speciality meets the requirements needed by the Navy and assuming no GMO tour right(which I heard is very unlikely especially in the Navy)?

Thank you for the clarifications.

COT is for Air Force only. Navy uses OIS. Call your recruiter to sign you up for the right class. Your ADT's in 3rd/4th year are done in military hospitals in the specialty of your choice---given that there are enough spots. And yes, these tours are audition rotations.

I'm currently at COT if anyone wants more recent info.

it's definitely a lot stricter than some on here have described. however, part of it could be the fact that our class is over 300 people.

living accomodations are nice and it's not that hard. it's just exhausting because you're going from 0430 to 2200 every day. it's more of an exercise to see how far they can push you until you break (mentally). if you look at it as such, you'll be fine. just follow the rules and don't complain. and above all, keep a straight face when they're yelling at you. :laugh:

How about a summary of your time there (start to finish) to let all us going what we "might" expect.... course everyone has a different experience....

If we go running on our own time on base, do we have to wear the PT uniform, or do we wear our own workout clothes? How does that work with regular clothes also? Also, should we report in khakis or nice pants or is jeans ok? I'm hoping to join the May COT class, so I have awhile, but I'm trying to wrap my head around how all this works.

The rules will most likely be laid out for you once you show up. But generally speaking, as long as you're not on leave (either on-base or off-base), you are expected to be in uniform. This will probably apply to any PT you do on your own if you're not on leave.

Most of your classmates won't have any uniforms when they show up, and there's no need to show up in uniform.

Does anyone know what the dates are for FY 2010 Navy ODS classes? Particularly interested in the classes this fall/winter.

Thanks.