**Official Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder when we will hear about scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

I was also placed on the alternate list as of yesterday morning

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people get accepted to the D.5 program and any other information about it?
About 10 ppl are given the D.5 offer and it gives students a chance to prove themselves and show they can handle the program.

FAQ - VCU School of Dentistry (from the link):
Miscellaneous
What is the D.5 program?
The D.5 program was initiated approximately 20 years ago for students who had made an application to dental school, but were not successful in gaining admission. Some of these applicants showed great potential toward being a dentist. However, certain factors, such as lower GPA, weaker DAT scores, many years without taking college courses and other factors, negated them from being a viable candidate.

This program was created to have these applicants take certain selected science courses from the freshman curriculum to have them prove their ability to succeed in professional school courses. Four science courses – Mammalian Physiology, Neuroanatomy, Microscopic Anatomy and Infection and Immunology – were selected. The strict requirement for success is a mandatory minimum grade of B in each course.

If this is achieved, the prospective student would have a greater potential of being accepted into the following year’s freshman class and they would also be exempt from these four courses. However, if a grade of lower than B was achieved in any of these courses, they would not be considered for entrance into the new freshman class. The students selected for the D.5 program usually have strong science backgrounds, excellent interpersonal skills and dental experiences.

The director of admissions and the admissions committee select a very limited number of D.5 candidates from the pool of interviewed applicants.

I was also placed on the alternate list, but I’ve decided to actually not pursue dentistry any more, so good luck to you all!

did anyone call about the total amount of applicants that are in the alternate list?

did anybody from alternate list hear back today?
No, I feel like they could tell ppl tomorrow since today is the last day for ppl to confirm their acceptance. However, they can tell us after the deposit comes thru at Feb 28th

About 10 ppl are given the D.5 offer and it gives students a chance to prove themselves and show they can handle the program.

The upside as well is that a D.5 student doesn't have to take these courses in their first year, which leads to a much lighter load and ability to maintain high grades (and rank).

Reactions: 1 users
I was also placed on the alternate list, but I’ve decided to actually not pursue dentistry any more, so good luck to you all!
The upside as well is that a D.5 student doesn't have to take these courses in their first year, which leads to a much lighter load and ability to maintain high grades (and rank).
do you happen to know how likely it is for alternate listed candidates to get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
is the class size for vcu only 95 ppl?
around 100. they pick less than 100 to account for international dentists that join later on. and 1 or 2 ppl drop out for various reasons

Alrighty well how about you SDNers let me know in June how many of the 12 claiming to have spots got in and we will compare notes then

Alrighty well how about you SDNers let me know in June how many of the 12 claiming to have spots got in and we will compare notes then
I really hope you’re right! How many of those on the alternate list typically get in? Are the chances good?

What would i gain by telling you its less than 5? Why would I care how many spots there are? Try to help people out with info and they don't want it lol. Good luck everyone.

What would i gain by telling you its less than 5? Why would I care how many spots there are? Try to help people out with info and they don't want it lol. Good luck everyone.
I believe you. Do you happen to know when they’ll contact you if there are seats open?? Will it be after the deposit day or before?

do you happen to know how likely it is for alternate listed candidates to get in?
Someone mentioned that OOS students have higher chance compared to IS students. So, I guess it depends.....
I believe you. Thank you for sharing.

I did accept the offer to VCU and plan on putting down the deposit tomorrow evening!

Reactions: 1 users
PM me if you’re a female and looking for a roommate for the fall!!

Anybody know of any decent apartments within walking distance of the school?

Hello,

Do you have any idea when waitlisted students are going to be offered a seat?

Deposits are due this wed. We should hear back afterwards.

Anyone from the alternate list hear anything today?

Still haven’t heard something since I got the “alternate list” email... really hope the ball gets rolling for the wait list

Any idea when they will announce who got off alternate list ?

Anyone planning on emailing the committee asking when's the next batch of acceptances?

Anyone planning on emailing the committee asking when's the next batch of acceptances?

I don’t think there’s another batch of acceptances. The class is full so people will get accepted off the alternate list as people drop their seat in the class

I don’t think there’s another batch of acceptances. The class is full so people will get accepted off the alternate list as people drop their seat in the class
Sorry that's what I meant because the deposit was due last week, yet I don't think VCU has given out the seats that were turned down. In the past, they would inform the alternate if they got accepted a day or two after the deposit deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
is it possible we'd have to wait into the summer to hear back?

is it possible we'd have to wait into the summer to hear back?
It works that whenever a seat opens up, they will pick someone from the alternate list. It can go up to July

terrific. and im pretty sure there's more than 3ppl on the alternate list, bc there might have been ppl waitlisted back in december.

Sorry that's what I meant because the deposit was due last week, yet I don't think VCU has given out the seats that were turned down. In the past, they would inform the alternate if they got accepted a day or two after the deposit deadline.
terrific. and im pretty sure there's more than 3ppl on the alternate list, bc there might have been ppl waitlisted back in december.
I was under the impression that they only accepted people on December 1st and saved the waitlists and rejections for mid-February.

How likely is it for students to drop their seats at this point? I understand that all I can do is just wait, but I want to know my chances...

I'm pretty confident a handful of ppl have turned down their seat already based on posts made on this thread. Its more a matter of the school working slowly towards accounting all the filled seats and deposits. Once they figure that stuff out, they'll look at waitlist ppl. How long that will take, nobody knows...

I was pretty sure they would give out more offers this week to alternate list candidates, but of course everything will be a mystery until it is all said and done.

I was pretty sure they would give out more offers this week to alternate list candidates, but of course everything will be a mystery until it is all said and done.
I really hope you're right. This waiting is killing me

I'm pretty confident a handful of ppl have turned down their seat already based on posts made on this thread. Its more a matter of the school working slowly towards accounting all the filled seats and deposits. Once they figure that stuff out, they'll look at waitlist ppl. How long that will take, nobody knows...
Thanks. That's good to know. Hopefully, everyone will have some good news coming their way very soon.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.