Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats ti89! UofMich is your top choice right?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep it is. I just got an email this morning that I'm in. I can't wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats ti89! Aww...I still haven't heard from Umich. I'm in Umich purgatory (the deferred decision list). So close, yet so far away. I've emailed both Dr. Remick and Mr. Ruiz my letter of intent (back in December), I'm thinking of sending them another letter this weekend. I will go to Michigan over

Do you think this would be a good idea? To send another LOI?

ANd, anybody know when in March UMich will look at the deferred decision list again?

thegenius said:
Congrats ti89! Aww...I still haven't heard from Umich. I'm in Umich purgatory (the deferred decision list). So close, yet so far away. I've emailed both Dr. Remick and Mr. Ruiz my letter of intent (back in December), I'm thinking of sending them another letter this weekend. I will go to Michigan over

ANd, anybody know when in March UMich will look at the deferred decision list again?
What can it hurt? They can't put you on double secret probation hold, can they? I say go for it. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
What can it hurt? They can't put you on double secret probation hold, can they? I say go for it. :luck:

OK Quimica, want to know my secret neurosis?

I'm concerned that I'll be begging. I am a candidate who has a better chance than other normally waitlisted candidates for getting in, and I don't want to jepodarize my standing. Maybe I'll can give an example.

This is entirely hypothetical...suppose you and I go to the same high school and we know each other well. You want to go to Prom, and you would love to go with a few people you are attracted to, including me.

As your dates call you and ask you to go to prom, some of them ask with confidence and you are impressed. Then I call you. You are obviously interested in me and want to hear what I say. After I ask you to prom, you say, "i would love to go, let me get back to you in a few days".

At this point I get neurotic. I'm asking myself "Does she really like me? I really want to go to prom with Quimica! I want to go to Quimica more than any other girl in my high school! She is so hot!"

So I call you again and try to impress upon you that you'll have a great time with me, I'm a good dancer, I have great manners, etc. You say again that you are really happy I asked, and when I see you in school you give me a hug and say "I'll get back to you really soon."

Ugh....now I'm going crazy. I can't study at night. I lay in bed thinking about our date. AARRGGGHHHH! What am I going to do!

So I call you again. I say "Quimica, I promise we'll have a good time. We like similar things, we have similar interests. I like chemistry just like you (although not as good as it as you). I'm a good kisser. Can I take you to ice cream in a few days?" I'm trying to pull out all the stops.

Now...Quimica, you are thinking to yourself....John asked me to Prom, he is nice, tall, I like him. Mike also asked me to Prom, he is such a heartthrob, I love his eyes. thegenius asked me to prom too, I really like his personality, he is definitely cute, but his continual pandering is bothersome. Why is he begging? Is this indicative that he'll be weird on Prom night?" You start to think to yourself and you have to get back to John, Mike and me. You end up going with John because you feel more secure with him that he is not going to be overly attentive or get weirded out and that you'll have a fun time with him. (This, despite the fact that I am a better kisser than John.)

I end up going to prom with a girl that I'm not as interested in, and when I see you and John dance on the floor together with your arms around each other, I cannot stop wishing that it was you and me.

thegenius said:
OK Quimica, want to know my secret neurosis?

I'm concerned that I'll be begging. I am a candidate who has a better chance than other normally waitlisted candidates for getting in, and I don't want to jepodarize my standing. Maybe I'll can give an example.

This is entirely hypothetical...suppose you and I go to the same high school and we know each other well. You want to go to Prom, and you would love to go with a few people you are attracted to, including me.

As your dates call you and ask you to go to prom, some of them ask with confidence and you are impressed. Then I call you. You are obviously interested in me and want to hear what I say. After I ask you to prom, you say, "i would love to go, let me get back to you in a few days".

At this point I get neurotic. I'm asking myself "Does she really like me? I really want to go to prom with Quimica! I want to go to Quimica more than any other girl in my high school! She is so hot!"

So I call you again and try to impress upon you that you'll have a great time with me, I'm a good dancer, I have great manners, etc. You say again that you are really happy I asked, and when I see you in school you give me a hug and say "I'll get back to you really soon."

Ugh....now I'm going crazy. I can't study at night. I lay in bed thinking about our date. AARRGGGHHHH! What am I going to do!

So I call you again. I say "Quimica, I promise we'll have a good time. We like similar things, we have similar interests. I like chemistry just like you (although not as good as it as you). I'm a good kisser. Can I take you to ice cream in a few days?" I'm trying to pull out all the stops.

Now...Quimica, you are thinking to yourself....John asked me to Prom, he is nice, tall, I like him. Mike also asked me to Prom, he is such a heartthrob, I love his eyes. thegenius asked me to prom too, I really like his personality, he is definitely cute, but his continual pandering is bothersome. Why is he begging? Is this indicative that he'll be weird on Prom night?" You start to think to yourself and you have to get back to John, Mike and me. You end up going with John because you feel more secure with him that he is not going to be overly attentive or get weirded out and that you'll have a fun time with him. (This, despite the fact that I am a better kisser than John.)

I end up going to prom with a girl that I'm not as interested in, and when I see you and John dance on the floor together with your arms around each other, I cannot stop wishing that it was you and me.
:laugh: You crack me up. I see two major problems with this whole admittedly humorous scenario:

1) I would only have gone to the prom under some serious parental duress. (In other words, they'd have to make me go in spite of my repeated high-volume insistence that I DIDN'T WANT TO GO.)

2) After said screaming match with my mom, wherein she told me that I'd rue it for the rest of my life if I didn't attend the prom, I would grudgingly have put on a ridiculous pink chiffon gown that I felt like a buffoon wearing, gone to the prom with a good friend, and then hoped like hell that I *wouldn't* have to dance with him, much less kiss him. :smuggrin: Which is exactly what happened. We made our required appearance so that I could tell my parents that I had gone without being a liar, and then we went to Denny's to eat some real food and to a movie. All while wearing the stupid pink chiffon prom dress. Ah yes, this is bringing back so many great HS memories. :p :laugh:

Ok, so back to your problem. You know, you don't have to write a suck-up kind of letter. Have you done anything interesting since the last time you wrote? New grades? New EC? And most importantly, has it been a while since you talked to them last? Because to make your scenario a little more realistic, let's say that I, like U Mich, have FIVE THOUSAND guys all vying for my attention. I don't think I even KNOW 5000 people in real life. But I can tell you that it's hard enough for me to learn all of the names of my class of 36 MCAT students. Still, there are a few students whose names I know right off the bat, because they sit in the front of the class, and they pester me with questions during the break and after class. So it's very likely that if John and Mike stay after class every week and keep saying, "Hey, Q, remember me? I need your "help" with chemistry...." then that is going to raise their visibility to me. I'll remember who they are. I'll have a chance to notice their better qualities. Versus poor thegenius, who sits in the back of the room and doesn't ever say a word. I have no idea who he is. I might not even recognize him if he comes up to me outside of class and says, "Hi Q." (Though I'll pretend that I recognize him if he does do this, and hope like h*** that I figure out who he is before he realizes that I have no earthly idea who he is. Happens all the time. :laugh: )

thegenius, these examples are silly. For one thing, I would never go out with a student. :smuggrin: But seriously, you have to remember that you are competing with hundreds of barely known interviewees, not just a couple of other people all of whom U Mich knows well. If you want U Mich to know who you are, you have to make an effort to make yourself visible, constantly. My opinion only; take it for what you think it's worth. :luck:

QofQuimica said:
:laugh: You crack me up. I see two major problems with this whole admittedly humorous scenario:

1) I would only have gone to the prom under some serious parental duress. (In other words, they'd have to make me go in spite of my repeated high-volume insistence that I DIDN'T WANT TO GO.)

2) After said screaming match with my mom, wherein she told me that I'd rue it for the rest of my life if I didn't attend the prom, I would grudgingly have put on a ridiculous pink chiffon gown that I felt like a buffoon wearing, gone to the prom with a good friend, and then hoped like hell that I *wouldn't* have to dance with him, much less kiss him. :smuggrin: Which is exactly what happened. We made our required appearance so that I could tell my parents that I had gone without being a liar, and then we went to Denny's to eat some real food and to a movie. All while wearing the stupid pink chiffon prom dress. Ah yes, this is bringing back so many great HS memories. :p :laugh:

Ok, so back to your problem. You know, you don't have to write a suck-up kind of letter. Have you done anything interesting since the last time you wrote? New grades? New EC? And most importantly, has it been a while since you talked to them last? Because to make your scenario a little more realistic, let's say that I, like U Mich, have FIVE THOUSAND guys all vying for my attention. I don't think I even KNOW 5000 people in real life. But I can tell you that it's hard enough for me to learn all of the names of my class of 36 MCAT students. Still, there are a few students whose names I know right off the bat, because they sit in the front of the class, and they pester me with questions during the break and after class. So it's very likely that if John and Mike stay after class every week and keep saying, "Hey, Q, remember me? I need your "help" with chemistry...." then that is going to raise their visibility to me. I'll remember who they are. I'll have a chance to notice their better qualities. Versus poor thegenius, who sits in the back of the room and doesn't ever say a word. I have no idea who he is. I might not even recognize him if he comes up to me outside of class and says, "Hi Q." (Though I'll pretend that I recognize him if he does do this, and hope like h*** that I figure out who he is before he realizes that I have no earthly idea who he is. Happens all the time. :laugh: )

thegenius, these examples are silly. For one thing, I would never go out with a student. :smuggrin: But seriously, you have to remember that you are competing with hundreds of barely known interviewees, not just a couple of other people all of whom U Mich knows well. If you want U Mich to know who you are, you have to make an effort to make yourself visible, constantly. My opinion only; take it for what you think it's worth. :luck:

I loved your response. You are hilarious. I was smiling through the entire thing. After I posted my response I sat there and thought how ridiculous an exmample I wrote up.

If I took you to prom and you wore a pink chiffon gown I would have given you the most surprising :eek: look ever. Then I would say to myself "I hope she is a better kisser than dresser."

I'm going to write UMich a letter this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a any new ECs, no new grades. Haven't taken a class years. I do have new work, but it's completely irrevelant to med school. Despite this, I'm still going to write them a letter.

thegenius said:
I loved your response. You are hilarious. I was smiling through the entire thing. After I posted my response I sat there and thought how ridiculous an exmample I wrote up.

If I took you to prom and you wore a pink chiffon gown I would have given you the most surprising :eek: look ever. Then I would say to myself "I hope she is a better kisser than dresser."

I'm going to write UMich a letter this weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a any new ECs, no new grades. Haven't taken a class years. I do have new work, but it's completely irrevelant to med school. Despite this, I'm still going to write them a letter.
Luckily my friend had better manners than you. He told me that I looked great. Which, considering the kind of mood I was in that night, was probably an excellent, life- and gonad-preserving move on his part. :laugh: The funny thing is, the dress wasn't the worst part. The worst part was definitely the hair. We were safely in the early nineties, out of that big-hair eighties thing, but still.... :scared:

thegenius said:

Hey,

Thanks. I sent a Letter of intent on Monday after my interview (2/27). I would say it wouldn't hurt ot send another. I sent mine via email to both Ruiz and Dr. Remick as well as faxed it over (2 copies one for both of them) and then sent it by mail also, although I doubt they got the mailed copy from NY by Wed.

I remember they said 3/15 was the last executive committee meeting and they would be looking at all the defered ppl that day also. You will know by 3/15 what the outcome is via the status page around 5pm at the latest they said. There are still spots and they seem pretty sure they would take some ppl from the deferal pile.

Best of luck :luck:

I really hope you hear good news soon

Hey guys, I have a question. I am taking Cal II now just in case I need it for one of the other schools. Say I realize I don't need it by about April (for instance I didn't get in to the schools that needed it) do you think it would be ok to withdraw? Do you thin U Mich would care that I withdrew from Call II?

princessd3 said:
Hey guys, I have a question. I am taking Cal II now just in case I need it for one of the other schools. Say I realize I don't need it by about April (for instance I didn't get in to the schools that needed it) do you think it would be ok to withdraw? Do you thin U Mich would care that I withdrew from Call II?

That might look a little weird - can't you just coast through the class and just pass it? Or get a B?

And are you referring to Calculus II?

Members don't see this ad :)
thegenius said:
That might look a little weird - can't you just coast through the class and just pass it? Or get a B?

And are you referring to Calculus II?

Just coasting through Calculus II is a ton of work. I just can't help but think I might be going through all this for nothing.

princessd3 said:
Just coasting through Calculus II is a ton of work. I just can't help but think I might be going through all this for nothing.

True. You mentioned in a previous post that you think some schools might want this? Is it a hard requirement for some of those schools? Or something to help impress?

I think in the end, it won't be a problem unless a school accepts you contingent on passing this particular class. If that is not the case, you can probably drop it. Admissions will probably notice it if you send them your official transcript but won't say anything. It's not like they are going to call you into their office and rescind their offer to you.

thegenius said:
True. You mentioned in a previous post that you think some schools might want this? Is it a hard requirement for some of those schools? Or something to help impress?

I think in the end, it won't be a problem unless a school accepts you contingent on passing this particular class. If that is not the case, you can probably drop it. Admissions will probably notice it if you send them your official transcript but won't say anything. It's not like they are going to call you into their office and rescind their offer to you.

Yes it is a hard requirement for two schools I am waiting to hear from. Think it's a good idea to email Mr. Ruiz?

thegenius said:

The problem is, most schools DO make your acceptance contingent on your finishing whatever academic pursuits you're currently having. For example, a PhD in organic chemistry is not ordinarily required for medical school matriculation. But if I don't finish my PhD this semester like I said I would, several schools have said that they would rescind their offers. Nothing like a little pressure in a sensitive spot to help ya along through an already stressful time. :cool:

Anyway, princess, I wouldn't withdraw without talking to U Mich first. B/c if the schools all want you to finish your current classes, it's best to just suck it up and do it rather than run the risk of losing your seat.

You can get a C in the class and it wouldn't really matter. I would just finish. Plus Calculus is a great subject! Taylor Series are fun :)

Where are you going, Q? Also, are you going to second look?

I have spend most of the morning composing my letter of interest (complete with references) in hopes of taking Q to the prom. :love:

SailCrazy said:
I have spend most of the morning composing my letter of interest (complete with references) in hopes of taking Q to the prom. :love:
:laugh: :oops: Where the h*** were all of you guys 13 years ago??? Oh my, Mom would be so very proud....and silly me, there I was all relieved about being done with HS forever. Just LOOK at all of the magical, starry-eyed, happy-everafter prom nights I'm missing out on. :smuggrin:

Edit: Obviously, the only solution is to have a U Mich prom for MSIs. :idea:

Post Edit: OMG, did I really just type what I think I just typed??? :wow:

Post Post Edit: Please forgive me; I'm suffering from extreme mental duress. I'll do anything you want; just DON'T MAKE ME WEAR THE PINK CHIFFON!!!

QofQuimica said:
:laugh: :oops: Where the h*** were all of you guys 13 years ago??? Oh my, Mom would be so very proud....and silly me, there I was all relieved about being done with HS forever. Just LOOK at all of the magical, starry-eyed, happy-everafter prom nights I'm missing out on. :smuggrin:

Edit: Obviously, the only solution is to have a U Mich prom for MSIs. :idea:

Post Edit: OMG, did I really just type what I think I just typed??? :wow:

Post Post Edit: Please forgive me; I'm suffering from extreme mental duress. I'll do anything you want; just DON'T MAKE ME WEAR THE PINK CHIFFON!!!
Actually, Mich Med does have an 80's ball, where you can dress up and dance. So I guess the concept is not much different from that of a prom. (I think I know too much about UMich. I pretty much bleed maize an blue.)

Last edited:
BDiesel said:
I would love a med school prom! I was walking past the fancy dress department in Marshall Field's the other day and I really wanted to buy one last poufy princess dress for prom. le sad

And after college, I can no longer fit into my old dresses :(
Evidently, I have some extra prom dates. I'll be glad to pass them along to some of y'all. :smuggrin: ;)

QofQuimica said:
Evidently, I have some extra prom dates. I'll be glad to pass them along to some of y'all. :smuggrin: ;)
Given that there's a high chance you won't even be coming here, I'd say all your "prom" dates are up for grabs. :laugh:

happydays said:
Given that there's a high chance you won't even be coming here, I'd say all your "prom" dates are up for grabs. :laugh:
Ah, but I could certainly still come to the prom regardless of where I end up attending myself, since all of my prospective dates would be U Mich students. :idea:

QofQuimica said:
Ah, but I could certainly still come to the prom regardless of where I end up attending myself, since all of my prospective dates would be U Mich students. :idea:

I'm going to Quimica's prom no matter where she goes.

thegenius said:
I'm going to Quimica's prom no matter where she goes.
But no Mich Med, no 80's ball (which was the "prom" that I was referring to). So if she doesn't go to UMMS, there (probably) won't be a "prom."

Hey guys,

I was accepted back in October, but have been really out of touch with SDN. Now that it looks a lot more like I'm gonna be in AA this fall, I was wondering if there are people in the Austin, TX area who are interested in a get-together of sorts. Never too early to meet classmates!!

Dr IHTFP said:
Hey guys,

I was accepted back in October, but have been really out of touch with SDN. Now that it looks a lot more like I'm gonna be in AA this fall, I was wondering if there are people in the Austin, TX area who are interested in a get-together of sorts. Never too early to meet classmates!!
Are we going to be able to pick you out of the crowd at Second Look by your accent? :p

Stupid question here: The apartments in the white coat ghetto are considered off-campus right? Just want to make sure for FAFSA.

princessd3 said:
Stupid question here: The apartments in the white coat ghetto are considered off-campus right? Just want to make sure for FAFSA.

Ya I figure it would be off campus. There is the fin aid chat tonight where you can ask to double check with them.

happydays said:
Are we going to be able to pick you out of the crowd at Second Look by your accent? :p

not quite. moved to austin after graduating last year. picked up the "gonna" from my wife i guess.

princess,

Pretty much anywhere you live at Umich is off-campus. I think they have some grad on-campus housing, but it's not very close to the med school.

I hope some of you are going to the chat tonight. Unfortunately, I have an exam at that same time. boo. Would someone be willing to post the important/interesting points on here after the chat? It would be much appreciated.

BDiesel said:
princess,

Pretty much anywhere you live at Umich is off-campus. I think they have some grad on-campus housing, but it's not very close to the med school.

I hope some of you are going to the chat tonight. Unfortunately, I have an exam at that same time. boo. Would someone be willing to post the important/interesting points on here after the chat? It would be much appreciated.

Sure, in fact I am kind of embarrassed to say I sometimes copy and paste the chat.

QofQuimica said:
princessd3 said:
Sure, in fact I am kind of embarrassed to say I sometimes copy and paste the chat.
I'd appreciate it, too. I have to work tonight.
Me three. I'll also be working.

Would someone ask how soon we need to have our AMCAS submitted before its starting to be "late." :confused: I'm done with my taxes, but my parents' return isn't done yet. :oops:

SailCrazy said:

Would someone ask how soon we need to have our AMCAS submitted before its starting to be "late." :confused: I'm done with my taxes, but my parents' return isn't done yet. :oops:

You mean FAFSA right?

SailCrazy said:

You can submit your FAFSA before you're done with taxes. I haven't started looking at my taxes yet, and I got it (the FAFSA form) done. You don't need the exact numbers, you just need an estimate from your last year's. The general rule is to get your FAFSA submitted before April, b/c many scholarships (mostly the need-based ones) are on a first come-first serve basis. (However, I'm not sure about the specifics at UM. I got this talk when I was at OSU.)

happydays said:
You can submit your FAFSA before you're done with taxes. I haven't started looking at my taxes yet, and I got it (the FAFSA form) done. You don't need the exact numbers, you just need an estimate from your last year's. The general rule is to get your FAFSA submitted before April, b/c many scholarships (mostly the need-based ones) are on a first come-first serve basis. (However, I'm not sure about the specifics at UM. I got this talk when I was at OSU.)

I don't think U-M want estimates.

princessd3 said:
I don't think U-M want estimates.
Yes, I did mean FAFSA... Glad to humor you all! ;)

I also was of the understanding the Michigan didn't want estimates. Did anyone ask when we needed our FAFSA submitted in order not to be "late"?

Did anyone here inteview the first week of October? I was just looking at the interview picture sheet they gave us and I was wondering who else from that day got in.

princessd3 said:
Did anyone here inteview the first week of October? I was just looking at the interview picture sheet they gave us and I was wondering who else from that day got in.
Where can I get an "interview picture sheet"?

happydays said:
Where is it & what is it?!? :confused:

I don't like the sounds of an "interview picture sheet"... While it might have helped to get me admitted, I knew I'd regret sending in that shot of me in the speedo.

happydays said:

They gave them out at the end of the day. Basically a pile and you could pick one up.

I thought that was a great/cool touch on Michigans part, especially since I met a lot of cool people the day of my interview. :thumbup:

So, I'm not sure that this is true...but I've heard that MAYBE Michigan is giving out free video IPODs to the first year class to watch lectures on? I hope I don't cause a riot in here, but its a rumor that I have heard from someone else admitted to the entering class.