Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
novemberrainne said:
So, how many of you are going to go to U Mich for sure? I just got my video email today, and I'm all about it.
I suppose that theoretically I'm not 100% committed... I haven't sent in my $$$ yet...

I still haven't withdrawn from a few schools that are "equal or higher" in ranking. All things (finances) being equal, there isn't a school out there that I'd choose over Michigan. So for all intents and purposes, I'm a Wolverine! :thumbup: :D

Members don't see this ad.

SailCrazy said:
I suppose that theoretically I'm not 100% committed... I haven't sent in my $$$ yet...

I still haven't withdrawn from a few schools that are "equal or higher" in ranking. All things (finances) being equal, there isn't a school out there that I'd choose over Michigan. So for all intents and purposes, I'm a Wolverine! :thumbup: :D

As always, SailCrazy I'm with you! My dad keeps asking me about it... right now, I don't have many other options, but no place I've interviewed at has been as appealing as Michigan.

Also, after this year's disappointing football season, I'm hoping for 4 more better ones... I wonder if professional/grad students get better seats for student tickets?

My mom keeps checking the med school website, with the stats on interviews/acceptances. I'm so glad I got in with the first group, otherwise I would really be sweating as I watch that percentage of acceptances get higher and higher...

On another note, good luck w/ finals everyone! I had my first one today, it will be nice when Christmas break is here.

Is everyone at the chat tonight? I can't seem to get in, computer problems :( Anyway, can someone please let me know what is going on? By the remote chance someone in the chat sees this could you find out for me:

What's involved in second look weekend? Is it intended for us to be there fore one day or is it a weekend full of activities?

Whatever prerequisite courses I needed to complete would have been stated in the acceptance letter?

Aww man, I am so disappointed. I kept refreshing the page at 7 only to find the chat wouldn't load. I tried about 5 or 6 times, to no avail.

Please fill me in :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I missed the chat as well. No technical difficulties for me, just relatives arriving in town for a quick visit.

For those who were there, what did we miss? It seems like there are always a few interesting tidbits of information to come out of each chat.

Just got my video e-mail! I'm so excited, best day of my life! Go Blue!!!!

Ashanti Rock said:

Wow, Ashanti congrats!!!! I am sooooooo happy for you!

Ashanti Rock said:

Now maybe we could get this thread going again.

Ashanti Rock said:
:D Congrats!!! :clap:

QofQuimica said:
Congrats, Ashanti. :D Out of curiousity, what does your video show? Is it still of the dean sending you the email?

Thanks you guys!

Yeah it's the same video. I remember seeing it on SDN a while back and thinking to myself....I want one! Well I finally got it! I think that I'll be on this high for a while.

Thanks again everyone!

I was going to bump this thread, but after doing that...I realized its been moved to the class threads...my bad.

So I've been accepted to Michigan as well as one other med school so far, but my dad is absolutely OBSESSED with Mich...I'm still waiting to hear back from four other schools, but he won't stop asking me when I'll fill out my financial aid package for michigan...my damn CHRISTMAS CARD from him even said ...

"You'll look GREAT in Maize and Blue. We love you - your parents"

WHEN WILL THIS END?

It's alright though because I'm almost positive I'm moving to Ann Arbor in July anyway!

And congratulations to all the rest of you who've been accepted as well! It's an amazing school and I'm excited to become a part of it.

And Ashanti Rock...you mentioned you work at Mayo? I live in the cities...where did you do undergrad??

Go blue!

OrganLibrarian said:
So I've been accepted to Michigan
I'm almost positive I'm moving to Ann Arbor in July anyway!
It's an amazing school and I'm excited to become a part of it....
Go blue!
Congrats!!! :D :thumbup: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
OrganLibrarian said:
So I've been accepted to Michigan as well as one other med school so far, but my dad is absolutely OBSESSED with Mich...I'm still waiting to hear back from four other schools, but he won't stop asking me when I'll fill out my financial aid package for michigan...my damn CHRISTMAS CARD from him even said ...

"You'll look GREAT in Maize and Blue. We love you - your parents"

WHEN WILL THIS END?

It's alright though because I'm almost positive I'm moving to Ann Arbor in July anyway!

And congratulations to all the rest of you who've been accepted as well! It's an amazing school and I'm excited to become a part of it.

And Ashanti Rock...you mentioned you work at Mayo? I live in the cities...where did you do undergrad??

Go blue!

Congratulations OrganLibrarian :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

I went to UW, crossed the border to take advantage of the reciprocity. the U of MN was just a little too close to home!

Congrats again!

Ashanti

On a different note, is everyone here pretty positive they will be in Ann Arbor next year?

Is anyone going to the welcome weekend or second looks in April?

Ashanti

I know this is very pre-mature, but does anyone know if there is a place on the website where we can find a book list? My sister has a physiology book from an undergrad course taught by a med school prof at Umich. She's trying to decide whether to sell it or give it to me.

If not, what are some recommended physio books for med school?

Thanks everyone!

Hello Michigan students! I've just received my admissions email!

I know that I'll be coming here, so see you all in the fall!

happydays said:
Hello Michigan students! I've just received my admissions email!

I know that I'll be coming here, so see you all in the fall!
Congrats!!! :D :thumbup: :clap:

I'm 100% sure I'll attend UMich. I'm sooo excited that I've already started checking out housing web pages. It looks like the two apartment buildings that are closest to the medical campus- island drive and medical center court- have pretty bad reviews. Has anyone here checked out these apartments in person? Any opinions?

post deleted b/c my apt is no longer available.

BDiesel said:
I know this is very pre-mature, but does anyone know if there is a place on the website where we can find a book list? My sister has a physiology book from an undergrad course taught by a med school prof at Umich. She's trying to decide whether to sell it or give it to me.

If not, what are some recommended physio books for med school?

Thanks everyone!
http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/vitals/booklist.htm

Here you go!

happydays said:

Thanks a ton, happydays! I'm so bad at finding things online.

Where is your apt? I'm assuming you are a current UM student. It's nice that you can stay in the same place.

I've never been in Island Drive or Medical Court Apartments, but I'm guessing there is a reason why the students refer to those buildings as the white coat ghetto.

Its called the white coat ghetto, but its not ghetto at all. I think they are both really great comparable to other housing I have seen.

Congrats everyone that has been admitted!!! :thumbup:

BDiesel said:
Thanks a ton, happydays! I'm so bad at finding things online.

Where is your apt? I'm assuming you are a current UM student. It's nice that you can stay in the same place.

I've never been in Island Drive or Medical Court Apartments, but I'm guessing there is a reason why the students refer to those buildings as the white coat ghetto.
Hi B,

Edit: apt is no longer available.

Hey All,

This thread has been quiet lately, but I'd just like to chime in that IM ATTENDING MICHIGAN NEXT YEAR TOO! WOOHOO! As Elastase so eloquently put it, I got "promoted" from the pre-allopathic forums to the allopathic ones now. I can't wait to meet my future classmates and get down and dirty with the material.

As for the question about the white coat ghetto, it's not that bad at all. Well, Island Drive sucks, but Medical Center Court Apts are at least one step above Island Drive. I live at Med Center Court now (im a second year grad student who will become an mstp fellow in the fall), and overall am very happy with the level of service they give their tenants and the relative quietness of the neighborhood unlike in my undergrad days when I lived on frat row... *shudder*. To conclude, Medical Center court apts give you the best in terms of quality-of-apartments and proximity to the medical campus.

Again, can't wait to meet you all in August! GO BLUE!

Chouster said:
Hey All,

This thread has been quiet lately, but I'd just like to chime in that IM ATTENDING MICHIGAN NEXT YEAR TOO! WOOHOO! As Elastase so eloquently put it, I got "promoted" from the pre-allopathic forums to the allopathic ones now. I can't wait to meet my future classmates and get down and dirty with the material.

As for the question about the white coat ghetto, it's not that bad at all. Well, Island Drive sucks, but Medical Center Court Apts are at least one step above Island Drive. I live at Med Center Court now (im a second year grad student who will become an mstp fellow in the fall), and overall am very happy with the level of service they give their tenants and the relative quietness of the neighborhood unlike in my undergrad days when I lived on frat row... *shudder*. To conclude, Medical Center court apts give you the best in terms of quality-of-apartments and proximity to the medical campus.

Again, can't wait to meet you all in August! GO BLUE!

congrats on your acceptance!
thanks for the info regarding the housing situation. are the leases at med center court apts. may-may or august-august? and how quickly do they usually fill up?

I've looked into the "white coat ghetto," and my main concern is that their bedroom windows are too narrow. That's why I'm staying where I am. Plus, my apts are way cheaper.

Yea the windows in the bedrooms are quite small. I have the smaller room in a 2-bedroom apt so proportion wise, it's not that bad. In terms of the leases, mine is August-to-August and it doesn't fill up as quickly as the front office says it does. People are always moving in and out during those times so don't freak out if they say they've got only 3 left. I delayed my decision to live here for 3 weeks and they still had apts. left. See y'all soon!

P.S. I was told just yesterday that Medical Center Court Apts has recently upgraded its gym. It was kinda small and sad to begin with, but perhaps now it's just... neutral? I haven't seen it myself, but make sure to check it out if you go on a tour here.

Last edited:
BDiesel said:
Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if you can get summer research funding for this summer? I work at LSI right now but I can't get summer funding b/c I will have graduated from U of M undergrad. I'm going to be in AA all summer anyway, so I thought I may as well do what I like and get paid for it.

Do they have many one bedroom apts at Medical Court? I'm looking at getting a place w/ my hubby near school. Which would you say is nicer, Island Drive or Medical Court?

B
Teach for Princeton or Kaplan. Good pay, few hours, and the material isn't too hard. I think this is about $15/hr, ~10hr/wk (night job). And you can work for the new student programs, give tours, free housing for $8/hr, 40 hr/wk (day job). You'll be rolling in the dough in no time (150+320=470/wk, ~2000/month!!).

Hey fellow M0's! I'm a single gal, looking for a (preferably) female roommate for next year - I'd be interested in one of the apt complexes near the med campus. Let me know if you're interested (I'm clean and good at sharing :p ).

Also, could someone quick post that link to the housing website? I looked for it but apparently I'm web challenged. Thanks!

Last edited:
I haven't gotten the email, :confused: but I am planning to attend! :p (~2.5 hour drive for me.)

And I'm also among the "pretty sure" group. :thumbup:
BDiesel said:
Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've all gotten the e-mail about second look weekend. Who is planning on attending? I know I am. I live in AA so it's minimal travel for free food! Of those going, who is pretty sure that they will attend Umich?

It will be nice to meet some of my future potential classmates!

B

BDiesel said:
Hey everyone,

I'm sure you've all gotten the e-mail about second look weekend. Who is planning on attending? I know I am. I live in AA so it's minimal travel for free food! Of those going, who is pretty sure that they will attend Umich?

It will be nice to meet some of my future potential classmates!

B

I didn't get the email either but I followed a link from this thread. I want to say I am quite sure but you just never know.

I think I am too...

Do any of you guys know if Michigan kicks in any money for travel (I know other schools do)? Coming from Boston, I'm not super psyched about shelling out for another ticket, but am planning on going either way. Can't wait to meet all of you. Go Blue!

midwesternguy said:
I think I am too...

Do any of you guys know if Michigan kicks in any money for travel (I know other schools do)? Coming from Boston, I'm not super psyched about shelling out for another ticket, but am planning on going either way. Can't wait to meet all of you. Go Blue!
Hey! From looking at the wall of fame, we interviewed on the same day! Congrats!

See you all during second look!

Anyone still waiting to get the second look weekend email? Also, I can no longer log in to check my admission status, though I was admitted back in December. Anyone else having these problems?

pcarlson05 said:
Anyone still waiting to get the second look weekend email? Also, I can no longer log in to check my admission status, though I was admitted back in December. Anyone else having these problems?

Yeah I didn't get one either but I used the link posted somewhere in this thread and registered.

May I just say that I am super excited to meet you all, Second Look Weekend email or not? It's true. :laugh:

Is anyone else having trouble replying to the threads in the admitted student discussion board? :confused: I noticed that someone has started a thread saying that they can't reply & I've also been unable to add anything to the board... :(

SailCrazy said:
Is anyone else having trouble replying to the threads in the admitted student discussion board? :confused: I noticed that someone has started a thread saying that they can't reply & I've also been unable to add anything to the board... :(

Apparently, you have to submit a reply and wait for it to be approved. That happens whenever one of the administrators visits the site and decides to update it. So your reply is there but you just don't see it for now.

SailCrazy said:

I really wish someone would update it everyday.

princessd3 said:
Apparently, you have to submit a reply and wait for it to be approved. That happens whenever one of the administrators visits the site and decides to update it. So your reply is there but you just don't see it for now.
Great system! :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

I think if you've already registered, you will not get the official invite anymore. That's my guess.

new topic: anyone know any inside information about the med school fraternities, or are you interested in joining? why/why not?

cool, thanks!

OrganLibrarian said:
new topic: anyone know any inside information about the med school fraternities, or are you interested in joining? why/why not?

cool, thanks!
No/probably not. But maybe that's just my own ignorance. Is there anything that joining a fraternity would do for me besides parting me with some of my hard-earned money???

Hey,

I just got the email about second look weekend, but the link doesn't work. Does anyone have a link that works?

Thanks!