Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pedahrjahn said:
did everyone get the email labelled : IMPORTANT - Complete UM Forms Now

i sent these forms a long time ago...are they reminding me because they haven't received it yet?

I got the email as well...

I called the office two days ago and confirmed that they've received all my forms. So I think it's just a general mass-email announcement.

Members don't see this ad.

pedahrjahn said:
did everyone get the email labelled : IMPORTANT - Complete UM Forms Now

i sent these forms a long time ago...are they reminding me because they haven't received it yet?
I got that too it was even personalized (said "dear dajimmers") . They should have mine too. Guess we'll find out @ orientation.

BB Q@ Med Center Court @ noon tomorrow! Bring swimsuits-we can go to Island Drive's pool if its' hot,

Edit: Who-hoo! 50 pages!

SailCrazy said:
Where did you find a copy of our schedule? Is it online somewhere?

Not sure if anyone answered this but the schedule can be found through Wolverine Access. Go to Student Business or something like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
dajimmers said:
I got that too it was even personalized (said "dear dajimmers") . They should have mine too. Guess we'll find out @ orientation.

BB Q@ Med Center Court @ noon tomorrow! Bring swimsuits-we can go to Island Drive's pool if its' hot,

Edit: Who-hoo! 50 pages!

Why'd she have to personalize it? Geez, I thought I was the only one who got that email. Just a week ago I called and they had my stuff.

princessd3 said:
Not sure if anyone answered this but the schedule can be found through Wolverine Access. Go to Student Business or something like that.

!!!! You're right! https://wolverineaccess.umich.edu/

It's under "Student Business" then "View Class Schedule."

I swear I tried this before calling the office... maybe it was activated recently?? :confused:

but... it says all my lectures are at 1:00 am. very, very odd. :p

amandil said:

I swear I tried this before calling the office... maybe it was activated recently?? :confused:

Oh that's awesome. We can go clubbing before class starts. ;)

ahhh....pool party again anytime soon? tomorrow or the day after? lemme know..

Hello...had anyone on this chosen U of M over stanford? why? i just got off their waitlist and now have to make a difficult decision. any help would be welcome!
Thank you

Hot diggety dog! A schedule! All my wildest dreams have come true.

Hmmm...Michigan over Stanford, eh? Well, I thought the students and faculty at Mich were a lot more down-to-earth. Stanford was really high on itself and I didn't like that. But, and that's a big but, it's a beautiful place, and there's a lot of room to do your own thing there. In fact, they really encourage you to do your own thing. They're both excellent schools.

Bars: Arena, Ashleys, Skeeps, Rush St, Arbor Brewing Company (ABC), Grizzly Peak, Babs Underground, Casey's
Banks: TCF
Biking Trail: Potowotami, Olsen, Maybury, Pontiac, Highland
Bookstores: Borders, Barnes and Noble, Campus Books, Ulrichs, Michigan Book and Supply
Cell Phone Service Providers: Cingular, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint
Grocery Stores: Krogers, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, Meijier, Hiller's, Busch's
Hiking Trail: The Arboretum
Hair Cuts: Master Cuts (Briarwood Mall)
Restaurants: Chinese: TK-Wu, Champion House, Evergreen http://www.arborweb.com/, Great Lakes, Hong Hua (but it's a bit far), Kai Garden (downtown, almost as good as Great Lakes)
Restaurants: Italian: Gratzi, Palio, the Earle
Sporting Goods Shops: Dunhams, Champs, Footlocker

amandil said:

The one on Wolverineaccess isn't very helpful. The real, daily schedule will become available to us on our ctools site when school starts.

pedahrjahn said:
ahhh....pool party again anytime soon? tomorrow or the day after? lemme know..
I'll be at Island Drive's pool every day likely. Nice way to cool off. I usually go once mid-afternoon, and sometimes at 9. No one's ever there at 9 for some reason, but I like it. Let me know if anyone's heading down there some time. I'm at 1014-105 Island Drive.

Also, wouldn't mind playing some tennis sometime. Or pretending I know how to toss a frisbee...

Edit: A few photos from the BBQ

IMG_3441.jpg

TinyFish said:
Re: phone service, I've been to AA with good reception for T-Mobile, too. Heck, I get better T-mobile reception in Ann Arbor than I do in NYC. :rolleyes:
I haven't lived in Ann Arbor, but have always had good coverage from Verizon while there.

Members don't see this ad :)
bisinger said:
Hello...had anyone on this chosen U of M over stanford? why? i just got off their waitlist and now have to make a difficult decision. any help would be welcome!
Thank you
Gotta go with your gut feeling. They're both great places to be. You do realise, of course, that none of us will be at Stanford? :eek: Do you really want to go through med school without us?

P.S. If you're in-state, I'm obligated to tell you to get the hell out to Palo Alto... I have a friend who'll gladly take your spot! :D

Baloo588 said:
Hey all,

I decided to add the excel file of my class schedule this fall. Do not ask how I got it. Lets say that I got some contacts. Hush hushh. :laugh: This is 90 percent complete for first week and 70 percent for the month of september. Be aware, do not show this to anyone but yourself. I hope this help settles your anxiousness. Enjoy your last week of summer 2006!!!! Go out, chill, do something crazy and whatnot! See you during orientation week!

I'm pretty sure Baloo is Robert Ruiz in disguise. ;)

Thanks for the info!

bisinger said:
Thank you

thought i would check sdn for the first time in a few months now that i'm in ann arbor, then realized I forgot my account password... so yeah, i'm an idiot.

but, to answer that, i chose between those two, and am very happy with how i decided. my main things were:

(a) lots of tight people at UM (not to say Stanford people were bad, but a class that small can be tough... at Stanford's Admit Weekend, they even admitted that classes getting along together was a real hit-miss phenomenon)
(b) better clinical focus in 3rd and 4th years... Stanford hospitals weren't all that great
(c) Ann Arbor >>>>> Palo Alto

but there'd be good reasons to choose Stanford too (weather, research, SF).

chances are you already decided, but congrats on having the decision to make!

Hey Everyone,

I am finally moved in to ann arbor as well - I'm living up at Barclay condos (north of plymouth rd) a little ways from campus. If anyone feels like talking or maybe hanging out, shoot me an IM on yahoo or aol (DrinkSKYY).

unrelated: are we all in agreement that we should not be buying books of that rather long and expensive-looking list just yet?

DrinkSKYY said:
unrelated: are we all in agreement that we should not be buying books of that rather long and expensive-looking list just yet?
I sure don't plan on buying any yet... Hopefully we can get some more M2 input at orientation about them too.

Baloo588 said:
Hey all,

I decided to add the excel file of my class schedule this fall. Do not ask how I got it. Lets say that I got some contacts. Hush hushh. :laugh: This is 90 percent complete for first week and 70 percent for the month of september. Be aware, do not show this to anyone but yourself. I hope this help settles your anxiousness. Enjoy your last week of summer 2006!!!! Go out, chill, do something crazy and whatnot! See you during orientation week!
Thanks! You're awesome!

dajimmers said:
I sure don't plan on buying any yet... Hopefully we can get some more M2 input at orientation about them too.

Yeah during premat the M2s went over every book and told us whether they were must haves or not. I am sure there will be more student panels during orientation. For now just wait.

dajimmers said:
DrinkSKYY said:
I already have a Netter's, which is the only book that I've heard we really need to have. So I'm with you, no book purchases until I know they're absolutely necessary. :thumbup:

amandil said:
Has anyone selected their MCare primary care physician yet? How do you find the list of available PCPs? I went to the website to change my PCP, but wasn't sure how to actually find one first...

https://www.mcare.org/onlineservices/changepcp.cfm
Just do a search here:
http://provdir.mcare.med.umich.edu/directory/applicationspecific/search.asp

Choose "GradCare" for the product/plan, "PCP" for the Specialty, Ann Arbor for location, and anything else you may want to choose.

Last edited:
Cool thread. I aspire to continue my education as a Wolverine, lol

Does anyone with football tickets for this season already know that they won't be make it to the home opener over Labor Day Weekend (9/2 vs. Vanderbilt)? If so, would I be able to buy your ticket from you?

Also, our tickets say 'Student I.D. or Validation Sticker required for admission'...are they strict with checking IDs? And what's a validation sticker?

WenfeiX said:
Also, our tickets say 'Student I.D. or Validation Sticker required for admission'...are they strict with checking IDs? And what's a validation sticker?
i believe they are strict about checking mcards. to validate your ticket for someone else to use, you have to go to the ticket office and pay a fee that brings the price of the ticket up to face value (i.e. the difference between a student ticket and a regular ticket - i think around $27). then, they put a sticker on it and anyone can use it.

you need an mcard to validate a ticket, by the way, so you can't expect the person you sell it to to be able to validate it themselves.

I know this is a ways down the road, but does anyone know if they won't be using their Northwestern ticket for football (homecoming weekend)? I can pay face value (or higher, whatever you're asking) and would be much obliged! :) Thanks!

For the Family Day events on Sunday are we not required to go, or are we not supposed to go? I wasn't planning on attending and have the idea that it is intended just for the families, not for M1s. Is that right?

SailCrazy said:
For the Family Day events on Sunday are we not required to go, or are we not supposed to go? I wasn't planning on attending and have the idea that it is intended just for the families, not for M1s. Is that right?

It's my understanding that we M1s are not supposed to go at all to the Family Day events. If anyone has heard otherwise, pipe up! :)

SailCrazy said:

I don't plan on going, nor has anyone else that I've talked to about it. I'm sure that we'll get plenty of free food and tours in the next few weeks, anyway.

Also, good running into/meeting you the other day. We'll need to hit up Ashley's again when Rogue has Dead Guy Ale on tap (or any other time, for that matter). But Kell's Irish Lager is also pretty good.

Is it still cool to post in here even thoug we've officially started as M1s? Oh well, here's a pic of me being 'coated' tonight: (I have some other ceremony pictures too if people want them...)

coating.jpg

dajimmers said:
Is it still cool to post in here even thoug we've officially started as M1s? Oh well, here's a pic of me being 'coated' tonight: (I have some other ceremony pictures too if people want them...)

coating.jpg
I think we should stop this thread come 10/15, when the new class is admitted. That's the only appropriate thing to do.