Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does the ticket thing go? Can we go in groups? If so maybe we could all go in a group? I want to go but I have no idea who I am going to go with. Don't want to end up sitting by myself.

Members don't see this ad.

You can count on me being at football games, that's for sure.

I'm making this my last post on SDN, because the new generation on the pre-allo forums are boring... so yeah, see y'all in August!

(I'm not quitting Facebook though - and thanks for adding me, princess - and it helped me figure out who a few people on here were :))

To all of those interested in getting a tablet PC for the upcoming year(s):

Since dajimmers can't get a response on the admitted students message board, I decided to get in touch with Mr. Ruiz (to ask about whether or not we also receive electronic copies of the course pakcets). He said he'd get back to me by Monday with the answer, so we should know pretty soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you here who will be here during the summer, let's get a pre-M1 BBQ goin or somethin yea? I know Sail is living in the ghetto (as am I) so I can try to organize something there. If you're interested, PM me with your first name and umich email and I'll try and get something goin for early July. HAIL TO THE VICTORS (i.e. us cuz we made it!)!

Hey Chouster why not make it mid July when the pre-maters are around?

On another note, Did anyone receive their official financial aid package yet?

Hey Princess,

Check your umich email for your financial aid notice. that's where i found mine.

Fireboy said:
Hey Princess,

Check your umich email for your financial aid notice. that's where i found mine.

Hmmm, I didn't get mine yet. Am I the only one?

Has anyone formed a group for football tickets yet? I called the athletic ticket office today and they said that it can all be done online when you sign up for tickets. You can either create a group or join one that is already formed (with the groupname and password.)

If there isn't one yet, I'll create it tomorrow and post the info here and on the admitted student's site.

Go Blue! :thumbup:

SailCrazy said:
Has anyone formed a group for football tickets yet? I called the athletic ticket office today and they said that it can all be done online when you sign up for tickets. You can either create a group or join one that is already formed (with the groupname and password.)

If there isn't one yet, I'll create it tomorrow and post the info here and on the admitted student's site.

Go Blue! :thumbup:
I'll join the group for sure. Please post instructions for how we do this; some of us aren't all that familiar w/ Michigan yet...

Chouster- I agree with Princess, mid-July may be the best (well, I'm selfish, as I'll be moving there July 16). But I may be able to make it earlier too, and I can't really guarantee anything post July 16 anyways, as I've got weddings I'm supposed to be at on the 15 and 22)... But get-togethers pre-orientation of any type would be fun!

Alright, I'm shootin for like July 19th or 20th so all the pre-maters can join in.

Since we're so close to Detroit, maybe we can get Eminem and Kid Rock to come up for the party. Anyone have connections?

princessd3 said:
Hmmm, I didn't get mine yet. Am I the only one?
i haven't gotten mine. for those of you who did, when did you get it?

ahd929 said:
i haven't gotten mine. for those of you who did, when did you get it?

I got mine about two weeks ago. I think they are being processed in the order in which the deposits were received. I think I mailed my deposit back in late March or early April so I may be one of the first. Anyways, it is exactly what they quoted me on the estimate, FWIW.

Members don't see this ad :)
dajimmers said:
I'll join the group for sure. Please post instructions for how we do this; some of us aren't all that familiar w/ Michigan yet...
Do we want our own small M1 group for football games, or is a big med student group the way to go? Apparently there is already a group established for all med students. I'm going to check to see how the seating works within that group. I'm guessing that the M1 would mostly end up together anyway. I'll let you all know what I find out, but we may have our group already. :thumbup:

Labslave said:
To all of those interested in getting a tablet PC for the upcoming year(s):

Since dajimmers can't get a response on the admitted students message board, I decided to get in touch with Mr. Ruiz (to ask about whether or not we also receive electronic copies of the course pakcets). He said he'd get back to me by Monday with the answer, so we should know pretty soon!

Labslave, did Ruiz ever contact you regarding this?? I'm curious to find out how useful a tablet would be...

Some of you have inquired about the feasibility of aquiring a Tablet
PC. Tablet PCs are essentially laptops with some additional features.
As long as they meet the minimum hardware requirements for laptops they
should work fine in our environment.

One thing to note -- if a student wishes to purchase a Tablet through
the Showcase there is currently one model available -- the IBM X41
Tablet. There are only two in stock and the next model has not yet come
out. Therefore students wishing to purchase a Tablet may wish to explore
other options which are listed below. They can also contact us directly
at [email protected] for more information or to answer specific
questions.

Tablet PC information

What is a Tablet PC?
A Tablet PC is a form of laptop that allows the user to write on the
screen with a special stylus (plastic pencil). It runs Windows XP and
it's ability to write on the screen allows the user to annotate,
document, write notes, draw pictures, and collaborate with others in a
manner that is more natural.

Tablet PC's are a fairly new technology, and are being adopted into many areas
including healthcare, sales, manufacturing, and education. There are new
programs coming out all the time that increase the useability of Tablets in the
education arena.

Tablets tend to be a bit pricier than a standard laptop, and they come
in many different configurations. Size, processing power, storage
space, as well as optical drives are often sacrificed to reduce the size of the
device. Each manufacturer has different naming conventions, but
they break down to a Hybrid or a Convertible. A Hybrid can have a
keyboard connected or detached (to put it into Slate mode). A
Convertible has the keyboard always connected and the screen faces
outward when in Slate mode. The benefit of Hybrid over Convertible is
that by being able to remove the keyboard from the screen, the Tablet
can become fairly lightweight. Some Tablets weigh less than 1 pound!

Some Tablets have even been "ruggedized" in order to withstand the shock of
dropping, or the occasional dunk into a river (not recommended!). With the
proper software, such as Microsoft's OneNote 2003, you can take notes in class
and drag and drop PowerPoint and other Office documents into your notes to write
upon them. Other software enables the
instructor to annotate an image, and it gets pushed out to students all
using Tablets & regular laptops.

In the end, a Tablet PC is a laptop with a little extra.

For more information on Tablet PC's, you can find a wealth of information,
opinions, and models at Microsoft's Official Site, as well as several others
listed below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc
http://www.tabletquestions.com
http://www.tabletpcpost.com
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com
http://www.handtops.com

Microsoft maintains a list of many available Tablets here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/evaluation/products.mspx

Apparently there is a group established that is used for first year med students. I called the ticket office earlier today and they said that this was our group. This should cover all that you'll need to know:

Incoming students may order University of Michigan 2006 football season tickets from June 5th-27th. A season ticket is $157 and the 2006 football season t-shirt may be ordered for an additional $10.

To order, visit www.mgoblue.com/ticketoffice (Buy Tickets Online). Click on New Student Football Season Tickets then choose Register Now to set up your online account.

When ordering online, join the seating group named below as you are placing your order to be seated with other Medical students.

Group: MED Password: MED

Complete instructions are available online. For questions call 866/296-6849 or email [email protected].

For some reason it won't let me get tickets...

I always get "The entered account number and PIN did not verify. Please enter again."

ti89 said:
For some reason it won't let me get tickets...

I always get "The entered account number and PIN did not verify. Please enter again."
I had to send an email to the ticket office with my name, ID #, birthdate, hometown, & campus so that they will activate my account. I think many/most of us M0s are not in the system yet.
dajimmers said:
Just a head's up that new student football tickets are supposed to go on sale Monday, June 5 .

I'm definitely getting them. Stupid spouse ticket looks to be $300+, though. Bah.
If I were you I'd check into Smart spouse tickets. Maybe they're cheaper, and I thought your wife was pretty bright when I spoke with her! :laugh:

WenfeiX said:
Does anyone know anything about residency classification applications? My parents are MI residents, but I went to school in CA and stayed out there for my year off, so I put CA as my state of residency on my AMCAS. I think I have to fill out a Resident Classification application and submit it to the Residency Classification Office, but do I need to do anything with the medical school financial aid office?
I believe that they will contact the financial aid office to let them know of your residency classification, and any adjustments that need to be made to tuition are done automatically. You want to get on it right away, however. They claim that the processing time is 8 weeks. :eek:

I called them a little over a week before May 15 to check on my status (that's when I learned of the looong processing time.) I said that my residency status would factor into my med school decision making process so they put a "rush" on my application. It still wasn't done my May 15, but I did have a pretty good idea by then that everything was going to work out as I expected.

Chouster said:
For those of you here who will be here during the summer, let's get a pre-M1 BBQ goin or somethin yea? I know Sail is living in the ghetto (as am I) so I can try to organize something there. If you're interested, PM me with your first name and umich email and I'll try and get something goin for early July. HAIL TO THE VICTORS (i.e. us cuz we made it!)!
dajimmers said:
Chouster- I agree with Princess, mid-July may be the best (well, I'm selfish, as I'll be moving there July 16). But I may be able to make it earlier too, and I can't really guarantee anything post July 16 anyways, as I've got weddings I'm supposed to be at on the 15 and 22)... But get-togethers pre-orientation of any type would be fun!
I'm set for my apartment in Med Center Court, but I don't move in until August 1st. Let me know when the BBQ date is finalized. I'm about 2.5 hours away, and could possibly drive over. :thumbup:

I emailed them and now I can buy tickets!

SailCrazy said:
I'm set for my apartment in Med Center Court, but I don't move in until August 1st. Let me know when the BBQ date is finalized. I'm about 2.5 hours away, and could possibly drive over. :thumbup:

Yep once the date and stuff is finalized I'll def be there!

has anybody heard anything about health insurance yet? i went to mcare's website, but there is no clear info about how or when we are supposed to sign up for gradcare (that's the name of our insurance plan). do we do it through the school or directly with mcare?

i also need to know when it takes effect. it'd be nice if it overlapped with my current coverage, but that will depend on whether it takes effect august 7th, august 14th, or at some other time.

anyone know anything?

i might be up for a pre-orientation bbq. just keep us posted!

SailCrazy said:
I believe that they will contact the financial aid office to let them know of your residency classification, and any adjustments that need to be made to tuition are done automatically. You want to get on it right away, however. They claim that the processing time is 8 weeks. :eek:

I called them a little over a week before May 15 to check on my status (that's when I learned of the looong processing time.) I said that my residency status would factor into my med school decision making process so they put a "rush" on my application. It still wasn't done my May 15, but I did have a pretty good idea by then that everything was going to work out as I expected.

EIGHT WEEKS...gaaaaakkkk. Good to know...thanks so much for the info! I'll call them on Monday and ask them to put a rush on it. :)

Hey is anyone out there still looking for a roommate? I just got accepted off of the waitlist, so I know I'm entering into this search a little late in the game. Paying the rent to live alone is not all that appealing of an option though...

CYSAC06 said:
Hey is anyone out there still looking for a roommate? I just got accepted off of the waitlist, so I know I'm entering into this search a little late in the game. Paying the rent to live alone is not all that appealing of an option though...
Welcome aboard! :thumbup:

There are some posts for people looking for roommates on the admitted students' discussion board

Does anyone know if we'll be able to use the university's gyms in the summer prior to the start of orientation?

If not, perhaps we could ask the medical school to arrange this for us, as it would be really wonderful to have access to a full gym while hanging out in AA.

Hello people,

I just wanna know where everyone is located...im moving in to the apprt.. late july....i have a few questions

has everyone gotten info on how to install their uniqname? has anyone gotten any info on getting white coats (i havent)? has anyone gotten the email about attending the pre-mat program? uhm, and how do we pay tuition???

im down for the bbq and party...man-laws in place and all

cherryman said:
Hello people,

I just wanna know where everyone is located...im moving in to the apprt.. late july....i have a few questions

has everyone gotten info on how to install their uniqname? has anyone gotten any info on getting white coats (i havent)? has anyone gotten the email about attending the pre-mat program? uhm, and how do we pay tuition???

I will be living in the Island Drive Apartments.

I got an email with directions on setting up a uniqname and one-time identifier about a month ago.

If you go to the admitted student website and click on White Coat 2006 you can order your coat and send out invites to four people.

Also on the admitted students website you can fill out the short form for the pre-mat program. It is free.

cherryman said:
uhm, and how do we pay tuition???

Unfortunately Michigan only excepts solid gold bullion and animal furs. Terribly inconvenient, but that's how they do business there.

In all seriousness, if people want to signup for the gradual payment plan (in which you pay over the course of 10 months instead of in one or two lump sums) they have information regarding it on the student billing website. The signup due date is soon, so check it out.

As for apartments... I'm at medical center court... building 1147 i believe. hopefully there will be a critical mass of us there and it'll be a fun place to live.

cherryman said:
Hello people,

I had to call and ask, apparently the IT system was using the email address I had when I applied to UNDERGRAD five years ago, rather than the new one the admissions office was using. I had to call the admissions office to get it straightened out, b/c IT wanted to know my email address for varification, and I had no idea what I was using in high school... Just give 'em a call.

Fireboy said:
Unfortunately Michigan only excepts solid gold bullion and animal furs. Terribly inconvenient, but that's how they do business there.

In all seriousness, if people want to signup for the gradual payment plan (in which you pay over the course of 10 months instead of in one or two lump sums) they have information regarding it on the student billing website. The signup due date is soon, so check it out.

As for apartments... I'm at medical center court... building 1147 i believe. hopefully there will be a critical mass of us there and it'll be a fun place to live.

can u post a link on how to get on that student billing website...u havent paid for the tuition yet rite?

cherryman said:
can u post a link on how to get on that student billing website...u havent paid for the tuition yet rite?
That billing plan is only worth it if you really can't pay all your tuition at once. Otherwise, it's just a lot easier to pay in one lump sum.

Fin. Aid question:

I want to reduce my fed. unsubsidized loan but online it only shows accept/decline. How do I reduce? I am afraid to click on decline. The fin. aid officer said I can reduce online. I'd hate to bother her again. Anyone have any experience with this?

princessd3 said:
Fin. Aid question:

I want to reduce my fed. unsubsidized loan but online it only shows accept/decline. How do I reduce? I am afraid to click on decline. The fin. aid officer said I can reduce online. I'd hate to bother her again. Anyone have any experience with this?
I just looked at the fin aid site, and to reduce your loan amount, you simply enter the amount you want to take out (in each box), and select accept. Afterwards, you can submit it.

Anyone knows anything about "UM Loan - PEET"?

happydays said:
I just looked at the fin aid site, and to reduce your loan amount, you simply enter the amount you want to take out (in each box), and select accept. Afterwards, you can submit it.

Anyone knows anything about "UM Loan - PEET"?

Yeah the box eventually did showed up after I emailed the office. When I was trying to reduce there was no box to type into.

Hi guys. It looks like I'll be joining you people in Michigan next year. I have a question about my financial aid though. They ended up giving me 8500 in subsidized federal loans. I'm from out of state though and the website says that my expected contribution is 0. As a result, I have to find a way to gather up $45,000 or so. Does this seem like a really small amount of aid to anyone else or is it pretty typical? Thanks!

jeffsleepy said:
Hi guys. It looks like I'll be joining you people in Michigan next year. I have a question about my financial aid though. They ended up giving me 8500 in subsidized federal loans. I'm from out of state though and the website says that my expected contribution is 0. As a result, I have to find a way to gather up $45,000 or so. Does this seem like a really small amount of aid to anyone else or is it pretty typical? Thanks!
You're not alone. That's pretty much the same package we all got (with the exception of those with huge grants).

Ok, thanks. That sucks. Now I really wish I didn't cancel all my other applications after I got into Michigan. Maybe I could've gotten a grant or something. Oh well. I'm gonnna go look under the couch cushions for loose change.

Hi Umich people

I went for undergraduate at umich and would be moving out of state for med school. I used to live very closed to school and do have some furnitures for sale. If anyone is interested please PM me. I would be moving out of MI by
the 29 of july. I do have a car for sale too. Thanks
(Sorry if i posted on the wrong thread)

princessd3 said:
Yeah the box eventually did showed up after I emailed the office. When I was trying to reduce there was no box to type into.

i clicked to accept my financial aid, and hit the "submit" button, but now when i go back to that page it still looks the same as it did before. i can hit "submit" a million times and it doesn't change. do you know, did it go through? what does yours look like now?

ahd929 said:
i clicked to accept my financial aid, and hit the "submit" button, but now when i go back to that page it still looks the same as it did before. i can hit "submit" a million times and it doesn't change. do you know, did it go through? what does yours look like now?

Are you saying to made a change and then hit submit? If so go to the main menu and click on the financial aid summary or something like that. See if it has the new amount listed.

I haven't tried this yet, but thought this might be of interest:

To forward your umich.edu email account messages to another preferred email account, please see below.

Follow these directions:

Go to www.directory.umich.edu
type in your uniqname
click the bind button and log in with your uniqname and kerberos password
click on the modify button

go to the email forwarding address text box and type in "your preferred email address"
Save your changes
Click the Unbind button
Log out.

This will forward all your email to the "preferred email" account.

phatib said:
I got the UM Loan - Davis, it had some crazy $3000 finance charge on a loan of $16000 or so. Peet and Davis have same interest rate of 5%.
Yikes! I'll have to ask about this. Thanks!

SailCrazy said:
I haven't tried this yet, but thought this might be of interest:

To forward your umich.edu email account messages to another preferred email account, please see below.

Follow these directions:

Go to www.directory.umich.edu
type in your uniqname
click the bind button and log in with your uniqname and kerberos password
click on the modify button

go to the email forwarding address text box and type in "your preferred email address"
Save your changes
Click the Unbind button
Log out.

This will forward all your email to the "preferred email" account.
You mean, you don't prefer your Umich account? :)

happydays said:
You mean, you don't prefer your Umich account? :)
:laugh: :laugh: I guess it does make me feel better about my annoying hotmail account, but I'm still making the transition to gmail! :thumbup:

princessd3 said:
Are you saying to made a change and then hit submit? If so go to the main menu and click on the financial aid summary or something like that. See if it has the new amount listed.
no, i didn't make a change. i just clicked "submit". what i'm saying is, when i go back there now, it's still giving me a choice to accept or decline, when i think i've already accepted. why is it doing that?

ahd929 said:
no, i didn't make a change. i just clicked "submit". what i'm saying is, when i go back there now, it's still giving me a choice to accept or decline, when i think i've already accepted. why is it doing that?
If I go to "Accept/Decline Financial Aid" I can still submit/alter my aid amounts. But If I go to "View Financial Aid Award Summary," it shows the amounts I've been offered and accepted. Check the award summary to see if it says you've accepted the amounts you entered. I think you may be able to keep changing the amount you want up to the disbursement date or something like that. As long as your values show up in the summary, I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow, leave the country for a month and you miss out on a lot!!! I had 9 pages of UM posts to catch up on :eek:

Reading ti's mad-impressive calculations reminded me of a link I have (I think from some ancient SDN post somewhere) to a Rent vs. Buy online calculator:

http://www.firsthomebuyers.net/rentvsbuycalculator2.htm

...and now after reading all these posts I feel really behind because I STILL don't know where I'm living! Is anyone else still homeless?

ti89 said:
You may break even or make a small profit but not as much as one may think.

For example I talked to someone trying to sell their condo (riverside for 225,000).

They paid about 180,000.

Now the property tax was 3,500 / year
Then association fees ($411 / month)

They bought the place straight with no mortgage and have been there for 3 years.

now cost per year : 3500+411*12 = $8432

So for 3 years = 8432*3 = $25,296

So total cost after 3 years = 25,296+180000= 205,296

This does not count the cost of upgrades to the condo etc such as recarpeting that they had to do or retiling the kitchen.

So say the total cost is 207,000.

Looking at the history for what the places of sold for one should not pay more then 217,000.

That is a profit of 10,000. But they have to pay for all the utilities as well (heat, electricity, gas, cable)
--------------

Now take the case of renting (not exactly work this way as I am assuming a simple case of yearly compounding) and about 4% interest which is reasonable. Plus we will put away say 200,000 in the bank for their case.

200000*1.04 = 208,000 after 1 year
208,000*1.04 = 216,320 after 2 years
216,320*1.04 = 224972 after 3 years

Now we have to take into account renting (without the cost of electricity and cable), but we didn't take into account gas, heat, electricity and cable in the condo either (which is obviously more as more things were unaccounted for).

We will take the case of living in a 2 bedroom (so you pay half) in island drive on the bottom floor if you sign up at the special rate and assume it stays this rate over a 3 year period for even comparison.

Rent per month = 875
Your responsiblity = $437.5

So for 3 years = 437.5*12*3 =15,750

so one has spent $15,750 by renting.

This 15,750 is saved if you own a condo.
----------------------

Now they made 10,000 from the sale + 15,750 from not paying rent = $25,750

Now if the had invested at the 4% they had $224,972 which means they made: 224,972 - 200,000 = $24,972

This one sees the difference between $25,750 and $24,972 is a a net profit of
$822.

Once again when owning you are responsible to pay if something needs fixing or something like a plumbing problem. Also you would be responsible for more utility costs as well. Also, for buying I have not included upgrade costs and if you are taking out a mortgage it is even more thus you would actually lose money.

I know this may seem long and drawn out but it is a very reasonable mathematical calculation (assuming I didn't make any mistake which I may have).

Also, Riverhouse is an old as it was built in the 60's and so was riverside.

Thus there will be costs of repair which comes with the age of the buildings and remodoling.