Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fireboy said:
So when is everyone moving to Ann Arbor?

Are people mainly living in Med Center Court and Island Drive?

I'm showing up in AA on July 12th and will be living in Med Center Court if anyone wants to get together for some M0 hang outs or partying. :D

I'm moving in August 1st to Island Drive, but I'm living at home with my parents now in Troy, which is only an hour away, so I'm definitely up for hanging out and exploring AA before school starts! :)

Chouster and anyone else who plays golf...I got my first set of (super cheapo) golf clubs last month and I want to use them! We should go to the driving range and try to hit the ball-collecting cart. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Fireboy said:
So when is everyone moving to Ann Arbor?

My sister and I are moving in on the 3rd... we'll be staying in Huron Towers (about a mile down Fuller Rd.) I'm sure this forum will be jumping with M0 events by then :)

Members don't see this ad :)
amandil said:
My sister and I are moving in on the 3rd... we'll be staying in Huron Towers (about a mile down Fuller Rd.) I'm sure this forum will be jumping with M0 events by then :)

Is your sister going to be a med student too? That'd be so cool!

WenfeiX said:

Hey Wenfei, I think I met you at 2nd Look...are you the one with the cousin who's also coming to UMich?

Anyways, my student mentors say we don't need to buy textbooks because the teachers hand out coursepacks that cover all the material we're learning. Did anyone else hear anything along those lines?

Chinorean said:
Hey Wenfei, I think I met you at 2nd Look...are you the one with the cousin who's also coming to UMich?

Anyways, my student mentors say we don't need to buy textbooks because the teachers hand out coursepacks that cover all the material we're learning. Did anyone else hear anything along those lines?

All of the books that are "required" on our list really aren't. But according to my friends at Mich, there are a few books that you do sort of need. We'll find out about the ones that are helpful when we get there, so it's not worth getting anything beforehand.

(We will need Netter's for sure, though)

Chinorean said:

Hmmmm...we may have met, but I don't think I'm who you think I am...all my cousins live in China. :)

what's so funny kev?

If any of you are tigers fans out there, go www.mlb.com and vote for Justin Verlander as the AL's last all-star. Today's the last day (I think)

Hi UMMS class of 2010! Looks like I'm 46 pages late joining this SDN thing... well I'm here now! There's really no purpose to this post besides my burning desire to be cool and post something so you guys know I exist. I can't wait to meet everyone in August! I did undergrad at UM so if you have any questions or what not, let me know and I'll try to be helpful :)

WenfeiX said:
Hmmmm...we may have met, but I don't think I'm who you think I am...all my cousins live in China. :)

Ah...must be someone else then. I should consult the pdf file I guess.

How stoked is everyone for the CHALLENGE! Up to 12 feet off the air or something. I hope it doesn't involve deep pits with spikes sticking out.

I admit that for two seconds I got freaked out about the challenge form that was like, "Please sign below to release us from responsibility in case you should DIE."

Apparently it's small-time stuff though.

I think it would be GREAT if they made us do a ropes course or something in the middle of the year. It sure beats jogging to work that stress out. :rolleyes:

Oh, I also hear we get to meet our small groups then! I'm definitely excited, but kind of apprehensive, since I've been out of school for a couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chinorean said:
How stoked is everyone for the CHALLENGE! Up to 12 feet off the air or something. I hope it doesn't involve deep pits with spikes sticking out.

Or eating worms! :barf: Thank god it's a UM challenge and not Fear Factor.

Actually, since I'm really scared of heights I have a lingering fear that we'll have to climb some really tall tree... I'll be the one clinging for dear life, a mere 5 feet off the ground... :laugh:

WenfeiX said:

yup, we'll both be M0s. I suppose I could try for anonymity but I think the pdf makes it impossible :rolleyes:

amandil said:
yup, we'll both be M0s. I suppose I could try for anonymity but I think the pdf makes it impossible :rolleyes:

Heehee, I'm sure your parents are so proud! Well, I'm sure all of our parents are proud. :)

For those of you living in Island Drive, I called the office yesterday since I hadn't heard anything from them in awhile, and the manager said they were busy getting all the July people moved in/out. We August people should be expecting a phone call sometime next week with our apartment assignment so that we can set things up with the electric company.

Does anyone else watch 'So You Think You Can Dance' on FOX? I'm addicted...

artisthands8 said:
Hi UMMS class of 2010! Looks like I'm 46 pages late joining this SDN thing... well I'm here now! There's really no purpose to this post besides my burning desire to be cool and post something so you guys know I exist. I can't wait to meet everyone in August! I did undergrad at UM so if you have any questions or what not, let me know and I'll try to be helpful :)
Welcome to the thread! I'll be moving to Ann Arbor in a little over a week now- very excited! So, why "artisthands?"

Ugggghhhh. My family loves it, but I can't stand it. At least it is better than that weird "American Talent" or whatever show.

Can't wait for CHALLENGE. And if we get our small groups- that would be great. I think I'm more concerned that my coat isn't going to fit than worried about school starting up again...

Hi :)

Are any of you planning to use a Mac laptop instead of a PC? ( I dread the thought of abandoning my Mac). Anyone know any specific complications with using them?

Chopianista said:

Are any of you planning to use a Mac laptop instead of a PC? ( I dread the thought of abandoning my Mac). Anyone know any specific complications with using them?

I forgot where I heard this, but I believe that the software that allows you to view the video lectures at increased speed runs only on PC. However, you can probably use one of those virtual pc programs for mac if you do encounter occassional difficulties.

ok so after a hectic two/three weeks, i've decided to stay at michigan. (GO BLUE!!!!) anyone up for dominick's later tonight? (8pm) PM me! :)

biffcool said:
ok so after a hectic two/three weeks, i've decided to stay at michigan. (GO BLUE!!!!) anyone up for dominick's later tonight? (8pm) PM me! :)

AWESOME!!!! You definitely made the right decision *^_-*

amandil said:
Are you two rooming together, or just living in the same place?

Chopianista said:

Yes!! I just purchased one of the Macbooks - I spoke with a few people, and you should be able to download bootcamp off of the apple website and load windows xp pro onto your mac and use windows programs just as you would on a PC, without reduced speed. You'll need to restart your computer to use the Mac operating system, but if at the time, you're only using your computer for Windows-based med school programs, that shouldn't be too much of a hassle. The lure of a Mac was too much for me and I had to give in. Hope this helps! :)

SailCrazy said:
Are you two rooming together, or just living in the same place?

Rooming together! I haven't seen it yet, but by the floorplans we're going to have a kick@ss apt...

amandil said:
Rooming together! I haven't seen it yet, but by the floorplans we're going to have a kick@ss apt...

Also by the floorplans, it appears the walls are really short ;)

dajimmers said:
Welcome to the thread! I'll be moving to Ann Arbor in a little over a week now- very excited! So, why "artisthands?"

thanks! and haha the username made a lot more sense in its original context. i used to paint a lot back in high school so I made it my aim screenname. Unfortunately i haven't made time for art in a while, but i might as well relish in the past :)
__
Hey is anyone here planning on living at Phi Chi?

I'm ready for this month to be over. July is moving too slow. I decided to become a doctor almost two years ago, and I'm done with all of the tests, pre-requisites, applications, interviews, 2nd looks, and 2nd guessing my decisions. I'm tired of going to a function and everyone asking me when I'll be moving, or when school starts. I'm tired of family members inviting themselves to my white coat ceremony. I'm tired of checking my email every few hours to see if there are any other emails from michigan. I can't wait for school to start. I guess I'll start looking for boxes so I can start packing today.

amandil said:
I checked them out and I think you'll be quite happy. Depending on which tower and which side you're on, you could end up with a pretty great view as well. I know of at least one other classmate living there, and I'm sure you aren't the only ones.

When I was looking there were no one-bedroom places available, so that pretty much ruled it out for me. The buildings have a good feel to them, its more of a young professional atmosphere than a student atmosphere (I know that there is a mix of students, professors, and other non-university folks living there.)

richthig said:
I'm ready for this month to be over. July is moving too slow. I decided to become a doctor almost two years ago, and I'm done with all of the tests, pre-requisites, applications, interviews, 2nd looks, and 2nd guessing my decisions. I'm tired of going to a function and everyone asking me when I'll be moving, or when school starts. I'm tired of family members inviting themselves to my white coat ceremony. I'm tired of checking my email every few hours to see if there are any other emails from michigan. I can't wait for school to start. I guess I'll start looking for boxes so I can start packing today.

I SECOND THIS FEELING! I'm so ready to start. Although, not so ready to start packing :laugh:

Speaking of the white coat ceremony, though... my family is singularly unexcited about it, so I still have all 4 of my invites (my sister invited my parents). I haven't filled out my white coat form yet, so I can still invite 4 parties. Anyone want them? First come, first served... let me know how many you want and the names/addresses.

richthig said:
I understand what you're saying, but that's definitely not me right now. I'm trying to fit in as much fun as possible, and would gladly push the start of classes back another month if possible. Between sailing, camping, music festivals, & trying to hang out with friends while I still have the chance, I feel like this summer is flying by! :eek:

I know that its going to be great to move in, start to hang out with our classmates, and get into our busy student schedule. I'll be pretty psyched once I get to Ann Arbor, but I'm in no real hurry to get there. That said... I am really psyched to see all of you soon! :D

Shameless plug:

If any of you like tshirts from threadless.com, I submitted a bunch of slogans for the typetee section under the handle lurkingsmirk.

They are:

Nice car, I can hear the ice caps melting

Killin' time by saving lives

Bambi was a boy????

Internet friends: imaginary friends for adults.

So yea, if you could vote for them...that would be awesome...

Link: http://www.threadless.com/profile/110928/lurkingsmirk/slogans

amandil said:
I SECOND THIS FEELING! I'm so ready to start. Although, not so ready to start packing :laugh:

Speaking of the white coat ceremony, though... my family is singularly unexcited about it, so I still have all 4 of my invites (my sister invited my parents). I haven't filled out my white coat form yet, so I can still invite 4 parties. Anyone want them? First come, first served... let me know how many you want and the names/addresses.

Yes, I'm at an all-time low in terms of morale and motivation in lab. July can't pass by quickly enough.

Okay... so I've arrived in Ann Arbor and moved into Medical Center Court (although my things are still travelling cross country, so the apartment is totally empty)...

Is anyone else in AA yet? If so, pm me and we can get together for some crazy M0 partying. :D

amandil said:
Or eating worms! :barf: Thank god it's a UM challenge and not Fear Factor.

Actually, since I'm really scared of heights I have a lingering fear that we'll have to climb some really tall tree... I'll be the one clinging for dear life, a mere 5 feet off the ground... :laugh:

I hope she's not on my team.

=P

WenfeiX said:
Heehee, I'm sure your parents are so proud! Well, I'm sure all of our parents are proud. :)

For those of you living in Island Drive, I called the office yesterday since I hadn't heard anything from them in awhile, and the manager said they were busy getting all the July people moved in/out. We August people should be expecting a phone call sometime next week with our apartment assignment so that we can set things up with the electric company.

You might also want to setup an appointment with Comcast (if you want cable internet).

Fireboy said:
Okay... so I've arrived in Ann Arbor and moved into Medical Center Court (although my things are still travelling cross country, so the apartment is totally empty)...

Is anyone else in AA yet? If so, pm me and we can get together for some crazy M0 partying. :D

I'm new to AA too. I hear there's some kind of big art fair next week.

http://www.artfair.org/

OOOooo... Free T-shirt if we volunteer.

WenfeiX said:
Do ya'll have recommendations on banks in Ann Arbor (free checking, no minimum balance, etc.)?

My friends recommended TCF. There's a $25 referral program and you get a free UM sweatshirt.

So make sure you give them my name: S-C-R-U-B-S-X.

=]

richthig said:
Found another one. smaller screen though

Acer TravelMate C200 TMC204TMi 2.0GHz Intel Pentium M
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition - 100 GB Hard Drive - 1 GB RAM - DVD-RW, DVD+RW Drive - 12.1 in Screen

Price: $1,090.00

I think this is what I will get.

http://electrodomi.com/product_info.php?products_id=52

I'm considering the Fujitsu T4210 or the Asus R1F (not out yet).

Fujitsu: http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/default.asp?newsID=513

Asus:
- Pics: http://forum.tabletpcreviewspot.com/showthread.php?t=1942
- Some specs: http://www.coreduonews.com/2006/05/25/asus-r1f-tablet-pc-approved-by-fcc/

ScrubsX said:
My friends recommended TCF. There's a $25 referral program and you get a free UM sweatshirt.

So make sure you give them my name: S-C-R-U-B-S-X.

=]

Awww dammit...I only got a crappy 3-piece cooler set. I knew I should've held out for something cooler (no pun intended). The teller said she would've given me a slip for a different prize. Oh well.

I already put down RollingStone as my referrer...sorry. :)

ScrubsX said:

=P

J.D., is that you?? I recognized the =]

Anyways, if it was a BOGGLE challenge I bet you'd want her on your team...

ScrubsX said:

=P

oh please, you pray every night I'm on your team :laugh:

Chinorean said:
J.D., is that you?? I recognized the =]

Anyways, if it was a BOGGLE challenge I bet you'd want her on your team...

=P

Aww Dean Allen Lichter is leaving the medical school for a better position (CEO of American Society of Clinical Oncology) :( He's stepping down as of July 31st and leaving the University on Sep 30th. I wonder who will be donning us with the white coats now.

Chouster said:
Aww Dean Allen Lichter is leaving the medical school for a better position (CEO of American Society of Clinical Oncology) :( He's stepping down as of July 31st and leaving the University on Sep 30th. I wonder who will be donning us with the white coats now.
i just read that. i gotta say, i'm a little bummed.

Chouster said:

grr, this is the second time that the dean of the school that i will be attending has stepped down from his office. i wonder who the interim dean will be...

biffcool said:
grr, this is the second time that the dean of the school that i will be attending has stepped down from his office. i wonder who the interim dean will be...

Seems wherever biffcool goes, Deans leave.... hm... ;)

ScrubsX said:
I'm new to AA too. I hear there's some kind of big art fair next week.

http://www.artfair.org/

OOOooo... Free T-shirt if we volunteer.

Hey- who's already in A^2 and interested in going to the artfair? There's some pretty neat stuff and it's a fun place to hang out. It goes from Wednesday-Saturday next week. I'll be bumming around campus Thursday and Friday. Let me know if you're interested! :)

artisthands8 said:
Hey- who's already in A^2 and interested in going to the artfair? There's some pretty neat stuff and it's a fun place to hang out. It goes from Wednesday-Saturday next week. I'll be bumming around campus Thursday and Friday. Let me know if you're interested! :)

Hey I'll be around and definetely go for a bit (as I have for the last 4 years). PM me or email me

biffcool said:

James Woolliscroft will be the interm dean from what I heard.