Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OrganLibrarian said:
You will always be a crab rangoon to me. ;)
:smuggrin: What a mental picture. What would the rest of you be? I would be something for dessert that has both the words "death" and "chocolate" in it. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

SailCrazy said:
Did most everyone end up signing leases in the white coat ghetto? I'm still up in the air without strong feelings about a place, but I feel like I should probably do something sooner than later. Would you agree? :confused:

I may drive into Ann Arbor tomorrow or Monday to meet with some of the WCG apartment/condo places, check out a few apartments, and maybe (probably?) to sign a lease.

You've got a safe bet with Med Center Court Apts. They're nicer than ghetto Island Drive (not by much, but a tad).

QofQuimica said:
:smuggrin: What a mental picture. What would the rest of you be? I would be something for dessert that has both the words "death" and "chocolate" in it. :thumbup:
Will this do?
death.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
OrganLibrarian said:
I'll be in the ghetto, but I don't know which complex yet (prob Med Center)...

I'll be in a 1 BR in Island Drive for sure.

BDiesel said:
Oh, I got a bunch of new gadgets recently. My parents bought me an iPod video for a graduation present and it's totally sweet! Now I can watch video lectures anywhere I go!
Hey me too!!! :thumbup: It was totally unexpected and I about crapped myself when I opened the package (and I mean to say that in a way that you'll assume that's not a frequent event for me.) :oops:

And of course with all of those lecture videos, it was clearly an educational purchase! :D

:hardy: Happy Birthday OrganLibrarian! :hardy:

... and I'm not sure if this applies, but:

Um! Yah! Yah!, Um! Yah! Yah!
Um! Yah! Yah! Yah!

phatib said:
from the enrollment confirmation email this morning, there's about a 100 people that have accepted... we need more people to go to umich!
I wonder if that email includes the people who sent in their enrollment forms way back in April when they sent us the forms...

Edit: New numbers from the admissions office: 125 deposits have been paid, approximately 125 still unpaid. Next week should be fun!

phatib said:
from the enrollment confirmation email this morning, there's about a 100 people that have accepted... we need more people to go to umich!

leave some space for us waitlisters :p

So... when is everyone planning on moving to Ann Arbor?

It'd be nice to get together with future classmates and party for a couple of weeks before orientation begins :cool:

So, I know we get some info in the M1/M2 Survival Guide, but I thought we could also benefit by tapping other SDNers' knowledge, especially those of you who went to Michigan for undergrad. I propose we keep this post as a mini-thread within the greater Michigan thread; go ahead and add to the typical thread at will, but when you want to add to this post, just reply to the most recent version. List things you'd like to know about to the left, in bold, and others will reply with suggestions to the right, in standard font. I'll start, to show how it goes:

Bars:
Biking Trail:
Bookstores:
Cell Phone Service Providers:
Grocery Stores:
Hiking Trail:
Restaurants: Chinese:
Restaurants: Italian
Sporting Goods Shops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Bars: Arena, Ashleys, Skeeps, Rush St, Arbor Brewing Company (ABC)
Biking Trail: Potowotami, Olsen, Maybury, Pontiac, Highland
Bookstores: Borders, Barnes and Noble, Campus Books
Cell Phone Service Providers: Cingular, Verizon
Grocery Stores: Krogers, Trader Joes, Whole Foods
Hiking Trail: The Arboretum
Restaurants: Chinese: TK-Wu, Champion House,
Restaurants: Italian: Dunno really
Sporting Goods Shops: Dunhams, Champs, Footlocker

Btw, SailCrazy we met earlier today am I right? You'll be very happy in med center court. I assume the guy I met today was Sail, but if not whoops.

phatib said:
I was number 124 when I hand delivered my deposit at 2:30 this afternoon.

Fireboy said:
So... when is everyone planning on moving to Ann Arbor?

It'd be nice to get together with future classmates and party for a couple of weeks before orientation begins :cool:
I'm probably looking at an August 1 move-in date.

I just paid my application fee at Med Center Court today.

Chouster said:
Btw, SailCrazy we met earlier today am I right? You'll be very happy in med center court. I assume the guy I met today was Sail, but if not whoops.
Yep, that was me! :D Thanks for the tips on apartment requests.

BTW, for anyone considering Med Center Court, I'll give you $100 if you list me as referring you. Apparently they give residents (and future residents) a $200 credit when a referral moves in. I'll split it 50/50 with you. $100 for me, $100 for you... And just to sweeten the deal, I can pay you in either cash or drinks! :D PM me if you're going to be moving there.

I don't even know the name of the guy who's apartment we got to tour on second look, but I described him and his apartment enough that the leasing agent did, and he'll be getting $200 bucks courtesy of me. I did write his name down so that I can track him down and tell him that he owes me a few beers! :thumbup:

Is there some reason why most people are choosing Med Center Court apartments? What about the heat being included in the rent for Island Drive Apartments. What wrong with those????

princessd3 said:
Is there some reason why most people are choosing Med Center Court apartments? What about the heat being included in the rent for Island Drive Apartments. What wrong with those????
If I had to give you a one-word answer it would be: DISHWASHER!
If I had three words they would be dishwasher and garbage disposal. :p

Really it depends on what you want. Island Drive is definitely cheaper, but I felt that was also reflected in the quality of the apartments that I saw. (Not the M.C.C. is totally stellar.) Basically, when looking at the Island Drive apartment today I was thinking "well, if I put some decent looking stuff in here, it won't be so bad." At Med Center Court I was thinking "this is a decent apartment, I like it."

I'm getting a 1 bedroom, and there are 3 sizes to choose from at M.C.C. (although if you want one of the 2 or 3 available "jumbos" you probably need to commit within the next week - they only have like 7 in the whole complex.) There seem to be more of the two smaller sizes. (I'm going with the middle size.) There are a few building of the smaller size in the back that have a view of the woods. That looked like a good location to choose if you want a quiet and more scenic spot.

princessd3 said:
Don't worry, I'm sure there will be plenty of people at Island Drive. I'll likely (not absolutely sure yet) be at MCC, but that's because I need as much space as possible and the dishwasher is a huge plus (uhhh, my wife hates dishes, don't tell her, she'll kill me!). Don't worry about Island Drive, I'm sure there will be plenty of people there, you're closer to the school, you've got a pool (I think), and you'll be laughing at us when heating costs double (again) next year. Basically, we're stupid.

phatib said:
missed out on second look, i was wondering if anyone had a chance to stop by and see the frats, specifically phi rho... seems like a convenient location and cheap too. if so, are the living conditions acceptable? thanks
I didn't check out the actual rooms, so someone else will have to get back to you on that, but the students who lived there seemed cool, the cooked meals seemed like an awesome alternative to the microwave dinners many of us will likely utilize, the price is pretty good, and you get a big living area with foosball (I think) and pool (I'm certain). Biggest draw was that they seemed to be a cool group of people, and included some non-medical grad students as well. Oh, and the fact that the nursing school is a block away, and there's a covered tunnel from there straight to the med school. Combine the close tunnel with the cooked meals (and thus fewer trips to the grocery store), and you'd be able to spend less time outside in the rain/snow than any other student.

phatib said:
missed out on second look, i was wondering if anyone had a chance to stop by and see the frats, specifically phi rho... seems like a convenient location and cheap too. if so, are the living conditions acceptable? thanks
Phi Ro was awesome. It's an old house that has been converted into rooms. The students each get their own room. I did see some of them, and each one is different. The biggest ones are alloted on a point system based on seniority and participation in house improvement activities, such as house government. If you lived there, you could also dispense with having a car, which would save a ton of money as well. The cost for room, board, and 3x weekly cleaning service there is actually LESS than the rent in many apartments in the white coat ghetto. They have free laundry there, free furniture for your room (though can buy other furniture if you want it), and utilities are included. Downsides are that you do have to share your bathroom, they have parking but you have to pay for a spot (though you get that spot assigned to you for the entire year and no one else can ever use it), and of course you have less privacy. But my feeling is that the pros way outweigh the cons. Honestly, I don't know why every medical school doesn't do this.

SailCrazy said:
Yep, that was me! :D Thanks for the tips on apartment requests.

BTW, for anyone considering Med Center Court, I'll give you $100 if you list me as referring you. Apparently they give residents (and future residents) a $200 credit when a referral moves in. I'll split it 50/50 with you. $100 for me, $100 for you... And just to sweaten the deal, I can pay you in either cash or drinks! :D PM me if you're going to be moving there.

I don't even know the name of the guy who's apartment we got to tour on second look, but I described him and his apartment enough that the leasing agent did, and he'll be getting $200 bucks courtesy of me. I did write his name down so that I can track him down and tell him that he owes me a few beers! :thumbup:

Hey Sail, what kinda deals did Med Center Court give you? What's your rent for this first year? You can reply here or PM me if you'd like.

Also, for anyone else, what kinda deals was Island Drive giving for newcomers (for single apartments)? Thanks y'all

Bars: Arena, Ashleys, Skeeps, Rush St, Arbor Brewing Company (ABC), Grizzly Peak, Babs Underground, Casey's
Biking Trail: Potowotami, Olsen, Maybury, Pontiac, Highland
Bookstores: Borders, Barnes and Noble, Campus Books, Ulrichs, Michigan Book and Supply
Cell Phone Service Providers: Cingular, Verizon
Grocery Stores: Krogers, Trader Joes, Whole Foods
Hiking Trail: The Arboretum
Restaurants: Chinese: TK-Wu, Champion House, Evergreen
Restaurants: Italian: Gratzi, Palio, the Earle
Sporting Goods Shops: Dunhams, Champs, Footlocker

also check out http://www.arborweb.com/ for a listing of restaurants

phatib said:
chouster, do you know if there any good dance clubs in ann arbor? cuz the clubs in seattle are really kicking! also, does everyone go out after finals?
Studio 4, Cafe Oz, the Cavern Club, and Club Necto are the clubs I know about. I think Necto has a gay night. I have only been to Studio 4, and it was alright- clubbing's not really my scene. o2s

Chouster said:
Hey Sail, what kinda deals did Med Center Court give you? What's your rent for this first year? You can reply here or PM me if you'd like.

Also, for anyone else, what kinda deals was Island Drive giving for newcomers (for single apartments)? Thanks y'all

I signed for a 1 BR in Island Drive, but I took advantage of the 'M&M Special' during 2nd Look Weekend...who knows if those are recurring specials or not. I'm paying $775/month, the application fee (which is usually like $30 or $50) was waived, and I got $300 cash back (KEGGER!!! ;) ).

WenfeiX said:
I signed for a 1 BR in Island Drive, but I took advantage of the 'M&M Special' during 2nd Look Weekend...who knows if those are recurring specials or not. I'm paying $775/month, the application fee (which is usually like $30 or $50) was waived, and I got $300 cash back (KEGGER!!! ;) ).

FRRRIIIICK... that's a lotta dough. I think Im just gonna stay where I'm at.

phatib said:
chouster, do you know if there any good dance clubs in ann arbor? cuz the clubs in seattle are really kicking! also, does everyone go out after finals?

phatib, I dunno what kinda music you like dancing to. If it's techno, you're gonna be hittin up Deeeeetroit (aka "the Dirrty D") a lot. If it's hip hop and top-40, you'll be fine with the ones oriented suggested. Although you'll be paying less cover, don't expect the same urban atmosphere you got in Seattle. There's essentially no dress code (which is nice if you're not really into dressing up when going dancing) but you can if you like. It's cheap cuz it's the college students who are keeping these places from going under, not 20-30 year old business crowd people who can afford to blow the dough. Bottom line: good times for relatively little $$ without hte hassle of having to get all dressed up.

Btw, when I first came to AA, I was addicted to Studio4.. I was there 5 weekends in a row! I think it was the city boy in me trying desperately to hang on to what was familiar to him. Now I barely go to dance clubs, but watch out, you could be the next victim :)

Alright y'all... count me in. Look forward to meeting you in August!

kupono3 said:
Alright y'all... count me in. Look forward to meeting you're in August!

Congrats mayn! I'm sure your relieved to know where you going! :thumbup:

Chouster: your my hero.

kupono3 said:
Alright y'all... count me in. Look forward to meeting you in August!
:clap: :hardy: :clap: Hooray!!! :clap: :hardy: :clap:

Hopefully we'll get a few more confirmed (who are we waiting for anyways?) by tonight...

Has anyone else noticed that the "Entering Class of 2006 Profile" PDF on the admitted students' website has been changing? There seem to be some new additions and there are also some folks who are no longer present. My quick (and likely faulty) math says that there are now 290 people in the PDF.

Elastase said:
Congrats mayn! I'm sure your relieved to know where you going! :thumbup:

Chouster: your my hero.

Likewise Elastase, even though I've been taught to hate cardinal red, you are now going to attend one of the finest medical schools in the world - congrats buddy.

QofQuimica said:
Congrats, Ashanti. :)

BTW, people, where are Sail and happy? I am pretty sure that they don't have finals any more, so what happened to them?
I'm in China right now, and I have limited internet access. I'll just be lurking.

phatib said:
Has anyone not received an official financial aid packet yet or immunization forms etc.?
Nope. I've just received the request for official transcripts & instructions on how to create my UofM uniqname. (Both received today)

happydays said:
I'm in China right now, and I have limited internet access. I'll just be lurking.

Awww...have fun!!!! And stay cool...it gets pretty toasty over there during the summer.

No uniqname for me yet, but I did get the transcript thing (both of them). I talked to financial aid today: don't expect final awards until end of May or early June.

My wife and I went to Ann Arbor (again) today to sign a lease with Med Center Court, but apparently, though they are listed as "pet friendly," this excludes "exotic" (though caged) animals but allows cats and dogs. I hate blanket statements like this; to me dogs and cats are much harder upon an apartment than a caged hedgehog that spends about 10% of its life awake. Unless things change in the next few days, we'll be joining princessd3 at Island Drive.

I also stopped in to the admissions office today: 152 deposits received so far, with ~30 accepted students that they haven't heard from yet.

i got the uniqname thing today and did it immediately, because i'm a combination of very excited about going to u-m and a huge dork...

then, to make myself an even bigger dork, i was able to add it to facebook and actually figure out who some of you all are... mwah ha ha... well, actually, it was mostly sailcrazy, because his picture makes it pretty obvious :laugh:

if it makes you feel any less threatened, i'm very easy to find on there... i'm the only accepted student from oregon state. :)

A caged hedgehog is an exotic (and not premitted) pet?!? That wouldn't have been my guess. Too bad you didn't just say "no" when asked about pets. How would they have ever found out about it?

Thanks for the deposit info. I was curious about that, but figured they had better things to do with their time in the admissions office today so I didn't call to ask how the class was shaping up.

can anyone link me to the instructions for how to create a UM uniquename? i somehow missed that. thanks.

WorldDoctor said:
can anyone link me to the instructions for how to create a UM uniquename? i somehow missed that. thanks.

It can't be done until the IT folks out there e-mail you with what they called (I think) a "one-time identifier," and when they do that, it comes with all the instructions you'll need.

hey guys, even though i'm not going to michigan *sniff sniff* i just wanted to say hi! i know a few of you in "real life" and feel like i do with some of my virtual friends here! anyway i'm sad i won't be going to school with y'all because you're such a great group! but alas, i'm hoping to make it to AA for a football game with my parents this year...i already told ruiz i'd call him if i'm in town!

GO BLUE!!! :love:

kupono3 said:
It can't be done until the IT folks out there e-mail you with what they called (I think) a "one-time identifier," and when they do that, it comes with all the instructions you'll need.

sweet thnx.

so is the class rite now way OVERPACKED...or is it currently standing at 145 students?

cherryman said:
so is the class rite now way OVERPACKED...or is it currently standing at 145 students?
That message is (relatively) old. Check out dajimmers post above for the update as of yesterday.

If it is fair to assume that no more than 50% of the 30 "yet to be heard from" applicants will join the class, then we're not to 170 yet.

It was a really tough decision, but I regret to say that I won't be coming to UMich... <sniff>. I definitely feel more than a little twinge of regret, because it would have been awesome to spend the next four years with you all in Ann Arbor. But good luck! Hopefully our paths will cross again some day soon... :luck:

happydays said:

Oooo I'm in Korea (Seoul) right now...I'm actually sitting at a FedEx Kinko where internet is $3 an hour.

almost_there, I guess I didn't convince you to go to Umich...don't tell me you're off to Duke!?

Has anyone been doing their laptop shopping? The UofM Computer Showcase offers some deals, as well as links to buy Apple, Dell, and IBM direct with a university discount added to existing prices (12% on the Dell that I quickly priced out.) Those links are at the bottom of the left column.

I know that I'm going with PC rather than Mac, but other than that I don't really know what to get. I'm definitely going to go for a little more than the minimum that I really need, but I don't know where to draw the line. Any suggestions for specs on a "very good but not ridiculously expensive" laptop? Where is a good price/performance cutoff for RAM, processor speed, hard drive size? Also, I don't really know what the differences in the types of RAM or Hard Drive (different RPMs, etc) really means.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I just spoke with someone in the financial aid office and learned that the admissions office is supposed to be sending out more detailed information "in the next week" about the availability of loans for our laptop purchase.