Official University of Michigan Class of 2010 Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dajimmers said:
I need to get caught up on the stalking/cross-identifying of SDNers that were at second look. I think I'll put the class profile on the wall, FBI-style, and start putting down your SDN names and any other info I've got on you :D . And I love the post count on this thread, truly indicative of the students at UMich. And not in the nerdy, always-online sort of way (though with our required laptops, we always will be :smuggrin: )

Chouster, I'm still up working on final papers too! There's a party going on in my back yard (shared w/ neighbors), but I'm stuck here typing about clean coal technologies. At least my hedgehog is keeping me company...

OK, maybe I qualify for the nerdy, always online classmate :scared:
I'm a nerd, and I don't try to hide it. But I'm also a rebel. :smuggrin: :horns: :cool:

Oh, I really want to see your hedgehog!!!

Members don't see this ad.

WorldDoctor said:
that's it, i can't take it anymore. i don't know who any of you are and i want to know!!! hmmm... how to figure this out... clues anybody?
If you can't figure out who I am, I'm sorry to report that you're brain-dead. There's only one non-trad woman from FL. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all you second looking best friend wolverine types! still deciding where to go *sigh* and i have a question about the schedule at michigan - do most of their days end around 5pm? or is it more variable than that since they have days where your team dissects and others when the other team does? i'm a little fuzzy on that...

i found a sample schedule in the M1/M2 survival guide (on the current students page) but it's from 2-3 years ago. have they changed things since then? one of the huge selling points for cornell right now is that i wouldn't have a ton of scheduled class/small group/lecture time...just want to make sure i have an accurate idea of how the schools really differ in this respect.

thanks!

Does anyone know how soon we can get an official financal aid award letter or do you have to submit the deposit to actually get one? Thanks!

somewhere2010 said:
hey all you second looking best friend wolverine types! still deciding where to go *sigh* and i have a question about the schedule at michigan - do most of their days end around 5pm? or is it more variable than that since they have days where your team dissects and others when the other team does? i'm a little fuzzy on that...

thanks!

Someone, I think it was my host, told me we usually get out around 2-3 pm unless there's a lab. So it looks pretty much like the survival guide schedule.

OrganLibrarian said:
Hey! We rode in the van together and a fun political conversation. And Wenfei - I grew up in Iowa, but I've lived in MN for 5 years, so I guess you and happy are both right. Overall, I'm genuinely corn-fed. :D

Yup, yup -- it was fun. I think I met most of the SDNers... you, dajimmers, QofQuimca, happydays, chinorean, amandil, princess3d, wenfei, chouster, maybe others?

Ashanti Rock said:
Does anyone know how soon we can get an official financal aid award letter or do you have to submit the deposit to actually get one? Thanks!

You have to pay the deposit to get the actual award. For now you will only get an estimate.

almost_there said:
Yup, yup -- it was fun. I think I met most of the SDNers... you, dajimmers, QofQuimca, happydays, chinorean, amandil, princess3d, wenfei, chouster, maybe others?

Hrmmm....I can't figure out who you are. You had dinner with princessd3, so you weren't the Asian dude at my dinner...

Random question: anyone know anything about consolidating med school loans? We can't start doing that yet can we? I know that interest rates are going up as of July this year, but I don't know if it's permissible to take out loans before July, consolidate and lock in a lower interest rate. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

WenfeiX said:
Random question: anyone know anything about consolidating med school loans? We can't start doing that yet can we? I know that interest rates are going up as of July this year, but I don't know if it's permissible to take out loans before July, consolidate and lock in a lower interest rate. I have no idea what I'm talking about. :)

I was listening to NPR a month ago or so and they were talking about the new educational loan interest rates... my impression was that if you already have loans, you can consolidate them, but if you're entering school this fall you're out of luck. But it's definitely worth asking the finaid office!

Chouster said:
Edit: Btw, Im wearing my Michigan Medical School T-shirt from second look weekend right now. Looks niiice :cool:

tragically, I lost my free shirt at Conner's... but I did get a UMMS t-shirt from the AMWA group at the stadium. It is pink and verry cute! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know where to get a UMich Medical school t-shirt online? I'm looking for one for my dad and can't find any...

Hi everyone,
Congratulations on choosing Michigan!

I'm a graduating M4, and I wanted to let you know about the University of Michigan Life Sciences Orchestra. I've tried to get the LSO included in the student activities webpage to no avail. It's a group made up of students, faculty, and staff from the life sciences community, including the medical school, dental school, nursing, social work, and public health. I've been in it for all four years and it has been a great experience. We rehearse on Sunday nights and put on two free concerts per year. We have a concert coming up this Friday May 5 at 8pm at Hill Auditorium for those of you who are in town.

If you are interested in joining, visit the LSO webpage at
http://www.umich.edu/~lsorch/
and fill out the prospective member form.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me.
o2s

orientedtoself said:
Hi everyone,
Congratulations on choosing Michigan!

I'm a graduating M4, and I wanted to let you know about the University of Michigan Life Sciences Orchestra. I've tried to get the LSO included in the student activities webpage to no avail. It's a group made up of students, faculty, and staff from the life sciences community, including the medical school, dental school, nursing, social work, and public health. I've been in it for all four years and it has been a great experience. We rehearse on Sunday nights and put on two free concerts per year. We have a concert coming up this Friday May 5 at 8pm at Hill Auditorium for those of you who are in town.

If you are interested in joining, visit the LSO webpage at
http://www.umich.edu/~lsorch/
and fill out the prospective member form.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me.
o2s
Mr. Ruiz told me about it at Second Look. It sounds like fun, but how good do you have to be to join??? :oops: :smuggrin:

QofQuimica said:
Mr. Ruiz told me about it at Second Look. It sounds like fun, but how good do you have to be to join??? :oops: :smuggrin:
The strings are non-competitive. Everyone who auditioned got in last year. The winds and brass are more competitive, as there are a limited number of spots. I stopped playing the violin my sophomore year of college and didn't touch it again until med school. I don't practice- I count the weekly rehearsal as my practicing. Things come together. Are you in Ann Arbor yet? Come check out the concert. I like going to rehearsal every week and just clearing my mind and playing music for a couple of hours. Also, it's a nice way to meet residents and faculty with similar interests. It is also nice to see that attendings and residents have time to pursue their hobbies.

Orientedtoself, that sounds cool! If school work doesn't overwhelm me, I'll do it! :D

Speaking of school work, I'm not sure where you went for undergrad, but do you think you were well prepared for med school? Have you talked to UM undergrads who have gone on to UMMS about whether or not they feel prepared?

Fireboy said:
anyone know where to get a UMich Medical school t-shirt online? I'm looking for one for my dad and can't find any...

or you can get a really cheap one at steve and barry's if you can handle the fact that it says "michigan medicine" (or at least I think that's what it says...)

I can't believe that in 4 months, a new wave of applicants will start interviewing already. Our circle is almost complete. :wow:

happydays said:
I can't believe that in 4 months, a new wave of applicants will start interviewing already. Our circle is almost complete. :wow:
Try THREE. I had my first one in August....I can't believe we'll be starting med school in just a few more months already. For such a long time, it felt like this day would never come, and then one day....

QofQuimica said:
Try THREE. I had my first one in August....I can't believe we'll be starting med school in just a few more months already. For such a long time, it felt like this day would never come, and then one day....

Q, did you make a decision? How was your Pritzker 2nd look? [Come to UM, you know you want to!]

amandil said:
Q, did you make a decision? How was your Pritzker 2nd look? [Come to UM, you know you want to!]
It was a lot smaller than U Mich; I actually got to meet everyone who was there. :p One funny thing is that for some reason, bowling is an extremely popular second look activity. And for the record, I am a lousy bowler. I'm so glad that I cut a wide swath of horrible bowling all throughout the midwest. :smuggrin:

phatib said:
Has anyone sent in their $200 deposit? I sent mine in 2 weeks ago and still hasn't been cashed. Wondering if they lost it.

ok, so I spent part of tonight freaking out because I couldn't find an acceptance/deposit return form in my UM file folder. But I just realized that they sent us the info via email :rolleyes:

So if you, too, are wondering how to send in your deposit, search your email for one with the subject "Enrollment at University of Michigan - 2006" sent by Ms. Sandy Davis.

OrganLibrarian said:
And happydays, it's BRITNEY Spears, and she's SO preggers again. (loud, vocal sigh at happdays's lack of pop culture panache) i will indoctrinate you further. beware.
Yes, you were right! She is pregnant!

happydays said:

Now she can drive around with a baby on each leg!

QofQuimica said:
It was a lot smaller than U Mich; I actually got to meet everyone who was there. :p One funny thing is that for some reason, bowling is an extremely popular second look activity. And for the record, I am a lousy bowler. I'm so glad that I cut a wide swath of horrible bowling all throughout the midwest. :smuggrin:

come to think of it, i bowled at stanford's admit weekend... madness

amandil said:
ok, so I spent part of tonight freaking out because I couldn't find an acceptance/deposit return form in my UM file folder. But I just realized that they sent us the info via email :rolleyes:

So if you, too, are wondering how to send in your deposit, search your email for one with the subject "Enrollment at University of Michigan - 2006" sent by Ms. Sandy Davis.
Oh yeah... thanks for the reminder. I haven't sent in my $$$ yet, and I'd forgotten about that form! :idea:

By the end of second look weekend I was definitely very excited to get to Ann Arbor (and I still am...) but it hasn't taken me long to settle into a comfortable routine that includes: nothing, a few drinks, a bit more nothing, maybe a run, an encore performance of nothing, did I mention a few drinks? :D

I think this is going to be a good summer!

SailCrazy said:
Oh yeah... thanks for the reminder. I haven't sent in my $$$ yet, and I'd forgotten about that form! :idea:

By the end of second look weekend I was definitely very excited to get to Ann Arbor (and I still am...) but it hasn't taken me long to settle into a comfortable routine that includes: nothing, a few drinks, a bit more nothing, maybe a run, an encore performance of nothing, did I mention a few drinks? :D

I think this is going to be a good summer!
My routine this semester was pretty similar, just substitute drink with TV/computer. It was good for the first week, but then I quickly got bored of it.

Rest does NOT = happiness. At least for me...

WenfeiX said:
Now she can drive around with a baby on each leg!

WenfeiX, I just got raped on the golf course yesterday. I shot a 53 on a par 35. More surprisingly, it was my long game that choked, not the short... sadness :(

Chouster said:
WenfeiX, I just got raped on the golf course yesterday. I shot a 53 on a par 35. More surprisingly, it was my long game that choked, not the short... sadness :(

I, on the other hand, earned myself 2 shiny range tokens because I successfully sandwedged a ball into a crate that was about 40 yards away. Our instructor was so proud. Of course, this was after about 50 attempts. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't even be able to *finish* a 9 hole course before sunset. I really should try to play a round of golf on our course before I move...it's only $25 for students. Maybe some of Tiger's genius will rub off on me. Maybe not.

happydays said:

I have many talents, one of which is divining the futures of our pop tartlets.

I'm beginning to see that bowling and golf are two rite-of-passages that all med students must undertake in order to graduate to full doctors.

happydays said:
I'm beginning to see that bowling and golf are two rite-of-passages that all med students must undertake in order to graduate to full doctors.

actually, when I was at welcome weekend, our driver from the airport said (although I'm guessing as a joke) that they were thinking of starting a "hobbies for doctors" club, which would include things like golf, etc.

I'd be willing to teach the golf part, but I'm not playing in the snow.

Not sure how much of a "doctor's hobby" bowling is, though. Where I'm from, it's more of a blue-collar thing...

kupono3 said:
actually, when I was at welcome weekend, our driver from the airport said (although I'm guessing as a joke) that they were thinking of starting a "hobbies for doctors" club, which would include things like golf, etc.

I'd be willing to teach the golf part, but I'm not playing in the snow.

Not sure how much of a "doctor's hobby" bowling is, though. Where I'm from, it's more of a blue-collar thing...

I only like golf because I get to swing a metal object and whack the crap out of something. :)

I officially got my UMich ID/email account today. And it's...wait for it...wait for [email protected]. ;)

WenfeiX said:
I only like golf because I get to swing a metal object and whack the crap out of something. :)

I officially got my UMich ID/email account today. And it's...wait for it...wait for [email protected]. ;)
FYI: Groupwise (your @med.umich.edu account) goes down a lot. Beware! :smuggrin:

Hey, I've been in Boston for awhile, and am busy w/ family/graduation things right now, but I'll hopefully catch up later and fill you in more, but long story short:

I'll be at Michigan next year! :clap: :clap:

Really looking forward to August and meeting you all again. Take care!

princessd3 said:
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks princess, glad I have an excited audience! :p

If you add about 20 more exclamation marks, you'll get my wife's response. I truly am very excited! I'll be heading back to Ann Arbor on Monday to start looking for housing options, but I plan on being with in walking distance for sure.

I met a few other Michigan/HMS students at the Harvard second-look, and I'm hoping some of them will make this (right) choice as well.

Truthfully, I think the "feel" of Michigan just matches me and my goals better. The students (including all of you) are outstanding, and I am really looking forward to the next four years. Looks like I'll have to do more with a golf ball than get it past the windmill, and may have to break my trombone out of storage, but that gives me something to do next year!

And Sail, I'm with you on the comfortable routine. Looks like Happydays needs some teaching of how it's done :laugh: .

So.... Q, what's the decision? No pressure! We swear!

dajimmers said:
Hey, I've been in Boston for awhile, and am busy w/ family/graduation things right now, but I'll hopefully catch up later and fill you in more, but long story short:

All right! I really think you made the right choice, dajimmers. Tell Mrs. dajimmers congrats for me too. :)

Aite, I withdrew from Duke and I'm headed towards Michigan next year! I'm still sad that the video iPods were a myth...maybe I could get one as a graduation present :D

Chinorean said:
Aite, I withdrew from Duke and I'm headed towards Michigan next year! I'm still sad that the video iPods were a myth...maybe I could get one as a graduation present :D
Hey, they can still happen! If we band together and refuse to show up for orientation until they hand out video iPods (viPods?), they'll have to give in! Right?

dajimmers said:
Hey, they can still happen! If we band together and refuse to show up for orientation until they hand out video iPods (viPods?), they'll have to give in! Right?

you know, I would even be thrilled if UM decided to order them in bulk so that they can resell them to us at cost, for some price lower than the educational store.... How cool would it be to have a UM ipod?? :love:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/imaging/

What websites are people using to find housing? I'm strongly consdering moving out of the white coat ghetto. I know of some apartment complexes around the hospital but, at the same time, I am willing to widen the search for possibly lower rents. Thanks y'all

dajimmers said:

me too! i sent in the money on friday, sending out withdrawal letters now. only thing left to do is buy the football tickets.

go blue!

Chouster said:
What websites are people using to find housing? I'm strongly consdering moving out of the white coat ghetto. I know of some apartment complexes around the hospital but, at the same time, I am willing to widen the search for possibly lower rents. Thanks y'all
I'm browsing through craigslist now, and I'm planning on going on the UofM admitted students site to see if there's anything good in there. The discussion forum on there has some postings by current students too.

I'll be searching throughout the next few days, I'll post any links or complexes or whatever that seem worthwhile.

amandil said:
you know, I would even be thrilled if UM decided to order them in bulk so that they can resell them to us at cost, for some price lower than the educational store.... How cool would it be to have a UM ipod?? :love:

http://www.apple.com/ipod/imaging/
You can get them at the UMich tech store (in the Union basement) for $30 less than retail.