***Official UNECOM Class of 2009!!!***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah, though 500 is a lot more than the 100 some places ask for. not asking for the whole 1500 up front is kinda nice. for me 60 more days will be plenty of time, maybe not to gracioualy give up another 1k, but at least to know my entire app situation and be set on where im going next year. haha, im desperately trying to see the positive in this situation. i loved unecom, but i have my interview at my state school this friday, and supposedly they'll tell me monday.

i have the check signed and sealed in an envelope with a stamp on it, but im waiting a couple more days.

its impossible for me to worry though. im so unbelievably not stressed about my other interview or any decisions. im already in at such a great school. you guys all seem cool.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey hey everyone!

I hope you are chillin and doing well. I just got into UNECOM a few days back and I just discovered this thread, pretty awesome!! anyone have aim? hit me up babyjordan429...anyways hope to see ya'll at orientation...I can't wait to move up there. the campus is awesome, the ppl are super friendly, and residency opportunities are great I've heard....

Farhan

Congrats and welcome to the club..

Where you from.. since you say up there.. and Maine is very much on top of the US... Except AL. What Univ and program did you go to.
BA

Members don't see this ad :)
the next time med students are in the anatomy lab to do Gross Anatomy here at UNE, it's going to be YOU GUYS!!! We're done!! :) Congrates to all the new accepted people!

jonb12997 said:
the next time med students are in the anatomy lab to do Gross Anatomy here at UNE, it's going to be YOU GUYS!!! We're done!! :) Congrates to all the new accepted people!

Thanks Jonb... you must be relieved. BTW is there a special table that is better than all the rest.. that I should be aiming for next Aug. One with a nice view ... closest to exit etc.. eheheheh.

Also anyone who knows... last year you guys got your UNE email before you started. Do you remember when you can get that... and how.

Thanks
BAir

Hi, about lab tables...you ain't got no choice in the matter. But really
there's no difference. It's a wonderful, up-to-date lab, so you'll be in
good hands.

My advice about anatomy lab...be nice to your partners, even if you
don't like them or there not your first choice of people to be spending
hours on end with. Bite your tongue - you'll be better off in the end.
You'll be anxious and eager the first weeks and you'll have a hard time
sharing the dissection. Just relax - there's plenty of time and you'll
learn everything you need to know.

About studying ahead...everybody last year told us to not study before
we got here. You definitely don't need to -- you'll have plenty of time
to learn everything if you dedicate yourself to it. HOWEVER, I don't think
it would hurt to buy some anatomy flashcards and start learning your
muscles and bones. You're gonna need to know that stuff for ever and
ever. So you might as well commit it to long term memory now. Plus it's
kinda cool and an enjoyable thing to learn.

Good luck!

Allison

babyjordan429 said:
Hey hey everyone!

I hope you are chillin and doing well. I just got into UNECOM a few days back and I just discovered this thread, pretty awesome!! anyone have aim? hit me up babyjordan429...anyways hope to see ya'll at orientation...I can't wait to move up there. the campus is awesome, the ppl are super friendly, and residency opportunities are great I've heard....

Farhan

Hey Congrats!! UNECOM is awesome, I completely agree. I'm moving all the way to Maine, aren't I ?! That pretty much makes a statement. can't wait to meet you all ...all 115 of us c/o 2009 at orientation this August! :) counting down the days...

How long are the classes @UNECOM? 8-5pm or less per day? Can someone send me a link to class schedules. I'm curious. Thanks! :)

UNE2009LMD said:
Hey Congrats!! UNECOM is awesome, I completely agree. I'm moving all the way to Maine, aren't I ?! That pretty much makes a statement. can't wait to meet you all ...all 115 of us c/o 2009 at orientation this August! :) counting down the days...

I think Maine should be fun!! I'm from Florida so it'll be a slight change of scenery :) hahha should be interesting though....can't wait to meet ya'll. its gonna be kool looking for housing and what not and buying beds and microwaves. I think I'm just going to get there, find a place, and get some furniture. I'm bringing my xbox just in case any one else plays...oh and I play a lot of basketball too just in case any else out there shares the passion....

babyjordan429 said:
I'm bringing my xbox just in case any one else plays...

Xbox? What's that? oh wait a minute, that's that new game console that I used to play before I started med school... haha! :laugh: just kidding well... then again ;)

did someone say swoosh? :laugh: oh...and does that hardwood up there have enough room for girls too...hehe ;)

microbe hunter said:
When we went on the tour, we saw the student center had NCAA hardwood that no one even seems to use. I haven't played in a while, but I'm thinking of getting back into it up there. :thumbup:

docmz said:
did someone say swoosh? :laugh: oh...and does that hardwood up there have enough room for girls too...hehe ;)

i always thought hardwood was for girls..

oh we're talking about basketball, thats fun too.

public enemy it is sad that you decided to go to NJ.. but we understand.. .NOTTT

I told name UNE and NMDNJ can be sister schools.. hehehe

Members don't see this ad :)
bill, sorry we won't get to be classmates. but yeah, its cool by me for UMDNJ and UNECOM to be sister schools. it was actually a tougher decision than i thought. i really liked unceom and would have no problem going there.

me, you and nate still gotta go to montreal though.

oh by the way, happy birthday!

:rolleyes:
PublicEnemy said:
bill, sorry we won't get to be classmates. but yeah, its cool by me for UMDNJ and UNECOM to be sister schools. it was actually a tougher decision than i thought. i really liked unceom and would have no problem going there.

me, you and nate still gotta go to montreal though.

oh by the way, happy birthday!
:cool: :D

Thanks MAN! I am having fun on my 27th birthday. Lots of good things to be happy for. UNECOM being one of them, excellent health being another. We will visit Montreal NO PROBLEM. YOU PICK ME UP ON THE DRIVE NORTH.

happpppppppppppppppppppy birthday
are you over the hill yet? :p

hehe

docbill said:
:rolleyes:
:cool: :D

Thanks MAN! I am having fun on my 27th birthday. Lots of good things to be happy for. UNECOM being one of them, excellent health being another. We will visit Montreal NO PROBLEM. YOU PICK ME UP ON THE DRIVE NORTH.

docmz said:
happpppppppppppppppppppy birthday
are you over the hill yet? :p

hehe

Thanks... I actually feel better now then I did between 12 to 25yrs.
I can't wait to 30. Little gray hair... little wrincles.... hmmm.. next stop retirement.

Are you a young one Michelle?

Well, it's official... Maine here I come. Anyone else moving from warm beautiful Florida to cold beautiful Maine? Also, around when are you all going to start looking for a place to live? I was thinking about April or so, but I'm not sure if that will be too late. Are you guys going to utilize the links on the website? What other resources are you going to use? Any feedback is welcome!
Thanks and best of luck to everyone (my future study partners).
UNECOM 2009... Yea! I'm gonna be a doctor when I grow up! :)

if 22 is a young one then yes...i am under the hill. :)

docbill said:
I can't wait to 30. Little gray hair... little wrincles.... hmmm.. next stop retirement.

Yes... 22 for ladies equals much greater maturaty than men. hhehehehe.

momo7430 said:
Well, it's official... Maine here I come. Anyone else moving from warm beautiful Florida to cold beautiful Maine? Also, around when are you all going to start looking for a place to live? I was thinking about April or so, but I'm not sure if that will be too late. Are you guys going to utilize the links on the website? What other resources are you going to use? Any feedback is welcome!

congrats MOMO.. UNECOM is going to be different from Florida.. but then again, I prefer all the seasons.

I am not sure when I will make it to maine for Apartment search etc... but hopefuly I will make one visit in Feb and another in May. Unless someone organizes a big get together.

BA

docbill said:
congrats MOMO.. UNECOM is going to be different from Florida.. but then again, I prefer all the seasons.

I am not sure when I will make it to maine for Apartment search etc... but hopefuly I will make one visit in Feb and another in May. Unless someone organizes a big get together.

BA

What's up MoMO...congrats on getting in...yeah, I'm moving from Orlando FL all the way to Maine. I've heard form a lot of people that places to live don't really open up till right before the semester so no point in looking right now. Might as well wait till summer time and then it shouldn't be bad at all. What part of FL are you from...where did you go to school? Maine should be fun, can't wait to meet everyone!! babyjordan429 if anyone uses AIM or AOL...

Farhan

HEY~! 30 does not equal gray hairs or wrinkles!
So.. what are we going to do in Montreal? I will drive no problem and we will pick you up on the way.

docbill said:

I figure it is about time for introductions because it is official...I will be attending UNE next year and I couldn't be happier. It's lovely to hear from others that are excited as well. New England has been my home for almost 6 years so this move will not be shocking. Anyone interested in getting together?

jonb12997 said:
you can only get about 1 hour farther north before you hit the canadian border... I grew up in Wilmington (right near Lake Placid) up in the mountains. Syracuse is pretty familar... that's where my dad grew up so we go visit my grandparents (and have to drive through watertown)... (btw, the hospital in watertown is one of our rotations sites)...

Cool.... I'm a UNE hopeful (shooting for class of 2010) from Plattsburgh. How have you enjoyed your experiences at UNE so far? (Not to put you on the spot - just curious).

momo7430 said:

Awesome! A handful of Florida people!! :) I am from Florida too and am a little weary about the cold weather. Right now, it's cold in FL and I keep thinking to myself "Maine's cold will be worse. just great." But hey, Maine is definitely beautiful and the UNECOM campus is awesome; people are awesome, facilities are amazing. So what's a little shiver and teeth chatter? No problemo. We can all go skiing after a huge exam, right? :) Can't wait to meet you all Class of '09! have a good one!

Nate said:
HEY~! 30 does not equal gray hairs or wrinkles!
So.. what are we going to do in Montreal? I will drive no problem and we will pick you up on the way.

Hey Nate,
Let say first holiday in October. That way we will be half way finished first half. We should get a sign up sheet.

BTW.. 30 is not old... I have 3 more years to get there. :sleep:

brody17 said:
I figure it is about time for introductions because it is official...I will be attending UNE next year and I couldn't be happier. It's lovely to hear from others that are excited as well. New England has been my home for almost 6 years so this move will not be shocking. Anyone interested in getting together?

Congrats for getting in to UNE.

We should definitely organize a get together? Let wait till the new year and maybe get some of the present students to join in.. give us some information etc..

All the best to other applicants waiting.
BA

Ho Ho Ho! Just wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!! undefined:love: Only, 2 more days at work then it is HOME I GO!!! (not that watertown is far from syracuse, but staring at the walls of this lab makes it seem like years away) :p

docbill said:
Congrats for getting in to UNE.

We should definitely organize a get together? Let wait till the new year and maybe get some of the present students to join in.. give us some information etc..

All the best to other applicants waiting.
BA

I don't know who you've been talking to but myself and most classmates secured our housing much earlier. I waited until the first week of May and only got a good place(or actually the place that met all my preferred criteria) because someone else had just backed out on it. I know that my current landlord wants a commitment from us as to whether we are returning next year by early January. That being said, both of us UNECOM 2008ers intend to stay in the house. An important consideration in looking for housing is UNECOM's academic year. Yes, I live in a beach house but I paid a premium for August and even then couldn't get into my apartment until Aug 14th. I actually had a better situation than some classmates that didn't get in until September. In addition, I will be moving out for the summer at the end of May. That's not a big deal for me because I knew up front that I had "vacation" plans for San Antonio and Fort Sam. I will likely be moving to a smaller apartment that my landlord rents as a year round rental because our schedule for next year starts Aug 3rd and ends June 30. You first years will be done a month earlier. Other housing misc., living on Hills Beach is great. I can work out, study, and otherwise focus on being the best student I can be without the distractions of noisy neighbors, etc. I can ride my bike to school(I drove maybe 7 days all semester and most of those were due to preceptorships) and am even close enough to go home for lunch. On the other hand, the closest grocery store(and bars) are a 15 minute drive into town. So you plan ahead and there is the Sea Star convenience store at the end of Hills Beach. Good luck.
PS- I was so happy to see the class of 2009 thread. It encourages me that the school has faith that we too shall succeed. School is both what I expected and nothing like I expected but it's awesome and there's no place I rather be.(Although DisneyWorld's awfully nice to visit.)

Hey everyone, in case you're interested, I found on the UNE website that your White Coat Ceremony is scheduled for October 6, 2005. A little over 7 more months! hope everyone had a good Christmas and has a happy new years! :)

jonb12997 said:
Hey everyone, in case you're interested, I found on the UNE website that your White Coat Ceremony is scheduled for October 6, 2005. A little over 7 more months! hope everyone had a good Christmas and has a happy new years! :)

That is great! I can't wait! :)

Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. With New Year's right around the corner I'm wondering where I'm going to live next Fall.

So I'm wondering...how soon should I start looking? Right now, I'm under the impression that housing doesn't become available closer to the start of the semester. And getting housing usually isn't a problem...is that the case or should I start looking right away?

Also, are there apartment complexes by the school? I've heard people rent out their houses and convert those into apartments. Really, an apartment complex with like a gym and a good "sometimes quiet" community is what I'm looking for...any suggestions?

Oh, I know I'm going to have to turn in a whole bunch of stuff to UNECOM towards february, but does anyone know what all that stuff is so I can get a headstart on collecting all the information....I know it includes immunization records, but thats all I know...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...can't wait to see you all next year!! Happy 2005 everyone!!

Farhan :laugh:

babyjordan429 said:
Hey guys,

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. With New Year's right around the corner I'm wondering where I'm going to live next Fall.

So I'm wondering...how soon should I start looking? Right now, I'm under the impression that housing doesn't become available closer to the start of the semester. And getting housing usually isn't a problem...is that the case or should I start looking right away?

Also, are there apartment complexes by the school? I've heard people rent out their houses and convert those into apartments. Really, an apartment complex with like a gym and a good "sometimes quiet" community is what I'm looking for...any suggestions?

Oh, I know I'm going to have to turn in a whole bunch of stuff to UNECOM towards february, but does anyone know what all that stuff is so I can get a headstart on collecting all the information....I know it includes immunization records, but thats all I know...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...can't wait to see you all next year!! Happy 2005 everyone!!

Farhan :laugh:

Hi Farhan,

I know most students live on the street where the school is. These are normally summer houses, but rented to students from Sep to May. There are others that live further from the University and drive. I guess people like Jon and Mcandy can provide better information.

I though only the second deposit has to be in by feb. I heard nothing about immunizations or any other documents required. Did you get something in the mail or was it off the website.

Don't stress out about it... I am sure we will figure it out.
BA

Hey BA,

Thanks for getting back to me sooo quick. Yeah can't wait to start looking for housing. Its gonna be fun :)

Anyways, I just heard from a friend at another school that they require a whole bunch of stuff like immunization records, etc. I didn't get that off the UNECOM website or anything so don't quote me on that. Who is Jon and Mcandy? Current students or part of our class? Let me know when you get a chance.

Peace :D

Farhan

docbill said:
Hi Farhan,

I know most students live on the street where the school is. These are normally summer houses, but rented to students from Sep to May. There are others that live further from the University and drive. I guess people like Jon and Mcandy can provide better information.

I though only the second deposit has to be in by feb. I heard nothing about immunizations or any other documents required. Did you get something in the mail or was it off the website.

Don't stress out about it... I am sure we will figure it out.
BA

babyjordan429 said:
Hey BA,

Thanks for getting back to me sooo quick. Yeah can't wait to start looking for housing. Its gonna be fun :)

Anyways, I just heard from a friend at another school that they require a whole bunch of stuff like immunization records, etc. I didn't get that off the UNECOM website or anything so don't quote me on that. Who is Jon and Mcandy? Current students or part of our class? Let me know when you get a chance.

Peace :D

Farhan

JonB and McCandy and others contributed to this thread.. they are MS1 I believe, and they went through all of this last year. The class of 2008 have been very helpful... just as other people in upper years have been.

Re: housing I assume most of 2nd years will be moving away for their rotations.. and that means there will be enough spaces available for the new incoming year. Go to the UNE website and log on to pipeline and you can get more information about groups and I beleive eventuatly someone will strat a class of 2009 page.

Re: Amunizations.. I think we have to show that before begining class.

BA (Bill,,, aka docbill. heheh)

Anyone want Gmail accounts.
I figure I would offer them to UNECOM students first
you can PM me.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

jonb12997 said:

bill,

i can't log onto pipeline. could you??
thanks
me

docmz said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

docmz said:
bill,

i can't log onto pipeline. could you??
thanks
me

Mich, I just logged on.. it is working fine.
Did you log on before or is this your first time.

You have two defferent logins

UNE PRN is for accademic stuff... registration/transcripts etc...

where as the pipeline is a different one.

I believe you have to creat both if you are new. For pipeline use the same temperary password.. I think it was date of birth. Anyway do UNE PRN one first and do the same for pipeline.

OOOHHH! I feel like an international man of mystery rather than a rapidly greying stressed out med student who is dreading the arrival of monday. Happy New Year all.

Immunizations need to be done before you can start your preceptors (2 or 2rd week of class). They will send you info soon I am sure. More than likely you will need to get some titers for shots you had when you were a kid. Make sure your tetanus is good and that you have had a TB test. You can get this stuff done while at school but it sucks giving up your hour of freedom at lunch to become a pin cushion. It is also more expensive through school. Speaking of which I would urge you all to investigate the SOMA insurance (they will send you a packet soon too) or an outside carrier. The UNE insurance is not very good and $$$$.

Dont buy books until you get our evaluation. Alot of "required books" are collecting dust in my classmates closets.

Housing. Don't sweat it. Current MS2 students will leave and spots will open. There are plenty of year round places off the beach (biddo, saco, kennebunk etc) and there are year round places to be had on the beach as well ( although a little more challenging to acquire). I got my place in june. It is ocean view, year round, oil heat, 3 bedroom, laundry, deck. I pay 460/mo to shre it with one roomie. A good friend was accpeted here the friday before classes started and he got a year round place on hills beach. CHeckout the UNE site that was posted previously here that will steer you in the direction of realtors. Also if you guys start a website for your class and have a housing wanted area I will be certain to make my classmates aware as many of us live with MS2 now and their spots will be vacant on july 1. It is the way to go as our schedules are very different, inhouse advice is nice, and hey, they already own the textbooks. There are still places empty and advertised at school on the bulletin board and the apartment above me (2 bedroom year round, ocean view is empty for the year.) That said, alot of people get places that require them to couch surf or hotel dwell. It doesnt seem to be more stressful, but I won't claim to be an expert on that topic.

Alright, I am disapearing until classes start. Enjoy your freedom while you can! :luck:

ps Dont forget your FAFSA (jan. 1-mar 1??)

Thanks Andy...

BTW.. I will be the first to post in the new year.. and not allow this thread to fall to the bottom of the page.

Do you guys notice how we have like 10pages already... wow... that is how I got most of my post.. hehehe.

How many people do we have so far... I know we lost a few to NY and NJ but I hope we get more soon.

Did anyone else succeed in logging on to pipeline.
BA
OUT

Sometime around May, UNECOM usually sends out a fat packet of paperwork, one item of which is an immunization form and a physical for your doc. All the shots/titers you need have a slot on this form to be filled in, so if you fill out the form it'll become obvious what you need. Just get it done before you come to school - Don't even waste a lunch during first year worrying about something that is easily remedied ahead of time. (Unless, of course, you are accepted 2-3 weeks before school and don't have the luxury of time).

www.mainetoday.com has some rental info. UNE used to have a housing website, horribly out of date but some of the landlords listed rent several places or might know someone you can call if their place is rented. There is a Biddeford newspaper website also, I think it is www.journaltribune.com. If none of those turn up leads, sometimes current students will send out an email to their whole class for you asking about housing opportunities that are opening up. I remember getting a few emails like that when I was a second year (but I wasn't moving, so I couldn't be of assistance :( ). Good luck, and feel free to PM me with questions about 3rd and 4th year ifyou have any. 1st and 2nd year are totally different now, so I wouldn't know how to answer!

Is there an apt complex/townhouse etc. where most UNECOM students live? I prefer to live in a place surrounded by my classmates rather than a random apt where I know no one. If so, please let me know. :)

are you guys going to go with the roomate thing or try to make it on your own for the first year? is it finiacially possible to live on your own if you plan to live off of loans?

UNE2009LMD said:
Is there an apt complex/townhouse etc. where most UNECOM students live? I prefer to live in a place surrounded by my classmates rather than a random apt where I know no one. If so, please let me know. :)

APARTMENTS FOR RENT_____________________________

208 Park Ave Portland
2 Apartments available:
1st floor: 1.5 BR (ideal for a couple), 5 rooms $750/bo+util.
3rd floor: 2 BR plus loft space, multiple skylights $900/bo + util. (short term lease for 3rd floor – until end of June)
4-5 blocks from Maine Med
Intown
Parking available
W/D hook up (will have house washer&dryer )
Sunny
Wood Floors
Extra storage available
Yard
Both available January or February for short or long term

Intown, great location
Parking available
Sunny
Wood floors
Available Feb 1

Call Darcy Thomas (207) 332-6684
Or email [email protected]