Official Tufts class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
silas2642 said:
Are you instate there? If you are, and you don't have an incredibly compelling reason to come to TUSM, I'd go to Downstate.

Um...but why?

Members don't see this ad.

sentrosi said:
Um...but why?

Money, if money is a factor for you. If tuition costs are not a problem, then I would go to TUSM, but if you're instate at Downstate, that could save you a ton of money over the course of four years. However, if you think that you would be completely miserable there and wouldn't do well for whatever reason (away from family, bad location, hate the curriculum), then I would choose Tufts. See you next year?

BrodieDurden said:
You'll set it up during orientation in the last week of August.

bah. my friends at other schools already have orders for white coats, lists of stuff to buy, email accounts, orientation calendars.... i wanna get excited to start but they're just not giving me anything to go on.

how many people showed up for that summer thingie?

Members don't see this ad :)
isobel said:
bah. my friends at other schools already have orders for white coats, lists of stuff to buy, email accounts, orientation calendars.... i wanna get excited to start but they're just not giving me anything to go on.

how many people showed up for that summer thingie?

I thought that we would be receiving orientation packets sometime the end of July; was i wrong? It just doesn't make sense to not give us info on orientation until the first day of orientation, especially since our white coat ceremony is like the second or third week of classes. You'd think they'd need more time to order the coats.

silas2642 said:
I thought that we would be receiving orientation packets sometime the end of July; was i wrong? It just doesn't make sense to not give us info on orientation until the first day of orientation, especially since our white coat ceremony is like the second or third week of classes. You'd think they'd need more time to order the coats.

i believe we are supposed to get some orientation info this month but my complaint is that tufts seems to be slower than other schools at sending this stuff out. everyday when i check my mail, i hope there's some new and exciting info about starting school. instead, all i find are fin aid statements and tuition bills.

You have to be fitted for white coat here, so there's nothing to do ahead of time on that. A lot of orientation from what I understand will be introductions to the school, training on bloodborne pathogens, getting your IDs, library/e-mail training, etc. (that's some of what we did on the first day of the summer program). If you want to know a detailed schedule, presuming one is even available, I'd contact TUSM, they have been nothing but friendly and exceptionally helpful and supportive.

Again, if you have specific questions, I can see what I can find out.

Chris

I'm a Cali resident. So I don't have state residency (though I think it only takes 1 year to obtain it). Money is a big factor. But I think TUSM is a better school and my undergrad was at MIT (so, I like Boston and think I would be happier there). At my Tufts interview, one of the first years told me that he chose TUSM even though he knew it would be a lot more debt because he felt that Tufts would be the place he could learn best and be happiest.

In any case, I'm still deciding, but leaning toward Tufts.

If you liked the school, then I would definitely go to Tufts. Personally, I loved the place when I interviewed there (I am in love with Boston); everyone was so nice and I had a really good feeling about the place when I left.

When I visited/interviewed, our tour guide, mincing no words, said that a lot of people would be just as good off at their state schools. And he really seemed to like Tufts. Money unfortunately is a huge issue now, and Tufts is the most expensive school in the country (anybody waiting for them to finally give an answer why?). Although I wasn't really interested in going into primary care anyway, now I'm relatively certain that I won't be able to do it for financial reasons, among other things.

On the other hand, if you want to go into a high-paying, competitive specialty Tufts might work out much better for you than most state schools. I've Googled various competitive residency programs and the ones that list where their residents went to med school mainly had people from the high-power prestige schools.

My understanding is that the quality difference among medical schools is tighter than other graduate schools, such as law school. Also, there is a large core of knowledge (USMLE subjects) which is transmitted to students, and that information doesn't change from school to school--how it is taught, presented, etc., how the student is supported, that does change from school to school. It's not as if you will be taught less anatomy and physiology at a state school relative to a private institution.

Yes, cost is a big issue, but if we do not enter medicine for the money aspect (we'd be foolish if we did given the sacrifices of time and family required of ourselves and of our families), then the cost of attendance--which is a borrowing against future earnings--well, it is hard to get exorcised about that if that wasn't our goal in the first place.

Lastly, the cost of attendance to go to Tufts relative to other private schools is not way out of line. Yes, it is the most expensive (I compiled below using 2005 tuition+fees numbers from US News + World Reports), but look at the top 30 and the tight spread among them:

Tufts 43579
Vermont 43487
Temple 41885
Columbia 41873
GW 41553
St Louis 41092
NYMC 40276
BU 39960
Einstein 39800
WUSTL 39720
Georget 39699
Albany 39637
Duke 39537
Penn 39467
CWRU 39384
Rush 39024
Harvard 38776
Stanford 38431
Jefferson 38316
NYU 38175
VCU 38166
Drexel 37890
Yale 37655
Pitts 37608
Brown 37453
Sinai 37050
Dartm. 36850
UMDNJ 36474
Vanderb. 36001
Hopkins 35965

I'd suggest letting the quality of the school--as you measure it in your comfort level--have more of a bearing on your choice than cost alone.

the aamc puts out these numbers.

i can't really speak to the difference between the quality of education between schools, but tufts will give you a quality education.

that said, the only suggestion i make is don't do this whole....well, drexel is $4K cheaper than tufts. $4K x4years= 16K= a new corolla. if you choose to go into a higher paying specialty out of tufts that you otherwise wouldn't be able to get into, you'll have made up your 16K and thensome.

emtji said:

i can't really speak to the difference between the quality of education between schools, but tufts will give you a quality education.

that said, the only suggestion i make is don't do this whole....well, drexel is $4K cheaper than tufts. $4K x4years= 16K= a new corolla. if you choose to go into a higher paying specialty out of tufts that you otherwise wouldn't be able to get into, you'll have made up your 16K and thensome.

Thanks for the tip on AAMC, I didn't know they had that data, too. Here's the link for anyone interested:

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/select.cfm?year_of_study=2006

Wow, there's something to make one's blood boil a little more. (referring to the AAMC page) It's one thing to be the most expensive by say $100, but we're a good $2500-$3000 more than even the second-most expensive school!

Look, I know a school can charge whatever it wants. But it should have to justify why. Especially when it comes to medical school, where a lot of people only get into one school and have no choice to go anywhere cheaper. Knowing how random the admissions decisions are everywhere, simple luck can mean paying $25,000 less over 4 years, just in principal costs. With interest it's more like 40-50K.

Members don't see this ad :)
So our future renal physiology professor is actually my neighbor (something i didn't even know when i was applying!), and i asked him why TUSM was so expensive. He said that in no way does the tuition reflect the professors' salaries but that it was mainly a reflection of the low endowment that Tufts receives. He said that he didn't know the exact reason as to why this was the case, but that it is a problem at TUSM, and as a result, the tuition needs to compensate for that.

so anyway, I don't know how accurate this information is, but since he is a professor there, i thought i'd pass on his words to you guys. hope this helps!

emtji said:

Aye. I'm not doing that. $4K a year is a lot but not enough such as to DEFINE my choice of schools. That's why I'm strongly considering TUSM still. If it was cost alone, I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

Just based on tuition, fees, and health insurance conts, the difference is over $80K (that is if I get instate residency and pay less after one year).

Hi all.. If you're still looking for housing, well I am too. I'm starting with TUSM this fall (class of 2010). my e-mail is [email protected]

Thanks!

So our future renal physiology professor is actually my neighbor (something i didn't even know when i was applying!), and i asked him why TUSM was so expensive. He said that in no way does the tuition reflect the professors' salaries but that it was mainly a reflection of the low endowment that Tufts receives. He said that he didn't know the exact reason as to why this was the case, but that it is a problem at TUSM, and as a result, the tuition needs to compensate for that.

Yeah, that's where being in the same city as Harvard screws us over. The big-time philanthropists who might have lots of dough but not necessarily lots of knowledge about medical research tend to throw their money at the most famous name.

FYI according to some science publication Tufts is ranked 6th in the country out of all med schools for the impact of its research. Not bad considering we're somewhere in the 40's in terms of NIH dollars received. Just imagine what we could do with big-name money. Any rich people out there listening?

tenaciousB said:
Any rich people out there listening?
Rich people on a student doctor forum? I think not.

Using the "T", how would I go from Logan Airport to Brookline?

thanks

It's a little bit of a hassle, but:

1) Take free shuttle bus from Logan Airport Terminal to Logan MBTA terminal.

2) Take Blue Line subway INBOUND (fare is $1.25) to Government Center.

3) Switch (i.e., stay in station, do not pay another fare) to Green Line B, C, D, or E lines (OUTBOUND not toward Lechmere). It depends on where in Brookline you are going as to which, B, C, D, or E you should take.

Total trip time, during reasonably peak times, less than 1 hr.

About the MBTA...

Fare is $1.25 for mostly all parts of the T, except some really distant parts on the Red Line and distant parts of the Green Line coming inbound, but those won't affect you hardly ever. Fare is an entrance fare, not an exit one. Once you pay, you can ride around and switch to your heart's content. As long as you stay in the station, no need to pay another fare.

Switching is free, and all lines (Green, Red, Blue, Orange, Silver) intersect with at least one other one and they converge near each other in the center of the city. It's important to know what this center is because lines are labeled OUTBOUND and INBOUND relative to this center. So, if you are on one side of the city and you want to get to the other, you are take the INBOUND train which passes through the center and then goes outbound, but where you got on is what matters. Lines are also labeled by their terminal stops, so, for example, the Orange Line goes from Oak Grove on one side of the city to Forest Hills on the other. Since you could go outbound in either direction from the center, you want to take OUTBOUND/Oak Grove or OUTBOUND/Forest Hills.

chris.russo said:
About the MBTA...

Fare is $1.25 for mostly all parts of the T, except some really distant parts on the Red Line and distant parts of the Green Line coming inbound, but those won't affect you hardly ever. Fare is an entrance fare, not an exit one. Once you pay, you can ride around and switch to your heart's content. As long as you stay in the station, no need to pay another fare.

Switching is free, and all lines (Green, Red, Blue, Orange, Silver) intersect with at least one other one and they converge near each other in the center of the city. It's important to know what this center is because lines are labeled OUTBOUND and INBOUND relative to this center. So, if you are on one side of the city and you want to get to the other, you are take the INBOUND train which passes through the center and then goes outbound, but where you got on is what matters. Lines are also labeled by their terminal stops, so, for example, the Orange Line goes from Oak Grove on one side of the city to Forest Hills on the other. Since you could go outbound in either direction from the center, you want to take OUTBOUND/Oak Grove or OUTBOUND/Forest Hills.

thanks alot. I really appreciate it.

Did anyone receive new mailings (orientation etc..)? Besides a tuition bill I haven't received anything.
I'm flying into Boston this week...
I've been preoccupied with other things during the last couple of weeks (see CNN) and I was hoping to at least have airplane reading material regarding the upcoming academic year to take my mind off the war.

usrael said:
Did anyone receive new mailings (orientation etc..)? Besides a tuition bill I haven't received anything.
I'm flying into Boston this week...
I've been preoccupied with other things during the last couple of weeks (see CNN) and I was hoping to at least have airplane reading material regarding the upcoming academic year to take my mind off the war.

Nope; haven't received an orientation packet or anything. Just the tuition bill, a note from the bursar's office stating that it's been paid, and immunization/insurance stuff.

Alright. Trying to do some catch up. What stuff has Tufts asked you guys to fill out yet. I keep asking the office but the just tell me that it will be sent to me.

But it's getting close and I know that if I get health clearance stuff, I'll have to bug my doctor to sneak me into his schedule even now. I found an immunization form an a meningococcal form online. Is that it?

Also, the finaid office is dragging on getting my award letter generated even though I filled out my finaid application while still on hold in the spring before the priority filing date. Not really sure how the hell I'm supposed to pay the tuition bill that is the only thing they have sent promptly.

sentrosi said:
Alright. Trying to do some catch up. What stuff has Tufts asked you guys to fill out yet. I keep asking the office but the just tell me that it will be sent to me.

But it's getting close and I know that if I get health clearance stuff, I'll have to bug my doctor to sneak me into his schedule even now. I found an immunization form an a meningococcal form online. Is that it?

Also, the finaid office is dragging on getting my award letter generated even though I filled out my finaid application while still on hold in the spring before the priority filing date. Not really sure how the hell I'm supposed to pay the tuition bill that is the only thing they have sent promptly.

there was that meningococcal waiver form that you found and then this one too. i think that was it for immunizations. there was no health exam necessary other than these 2 forms (one you found and one below).
http://www.tufts.edu/saha/images/ImmunFrm06.pdf

they also sent the Tufts Health Plan enrollment form which is online here
http://www.tufts.edu/saha/forms.html
although the real one was that kind that makes copies as you write.

there was also the sign up for T passes in case you want to pay for all 4 fall passes at once. can't find it online. (due 8/1?)

i think that's about it.

isobel said:
there was that meningococcal waiver form that you found and then this one too. i think that was it for immunizations. there was no health exam necessary other than these 2 forms (one you found and one below).
http://www.tufts.edu/saha/images/ImmunFrm06.pdf

they also sent the Tufts Health Plan enrollment form which is online here
http://www.tufts.edu/saha/forms.html
although the real one was that kind that makes copies as you write.

there was also the sign up for T passes in case you want to pay for all 4 fall passes at once. can't find it online. (due 8/1?)

i think that's about it.

I know there are some people who want to get together with others pre-orientation, but can't make it tonight (myself included). I have been in touch with a handful of people who can't make it tonight who are interested in getting together some other time (one guy offered to have a BBQ at his house). anyway, send a PM through SDN with your e-mail if you are interested, and i will put together an e-mail to get something else together. for those who go tonight, enjoy!

I visited Tufts today and just wanted to let you know that the orientation packets were all stacked to be shipped out.

During my visit to tufts I grabbed my orientation packet, and it's a good thing I did...it was on its way to be shipped overseas.
The only thing i wanted to call to your attention is a decision you need to make regarding PBL. This should give you a head-start, especially considering the first come, first-serve aspect.

Regarding PBL (Problem Based Learning Program)

I qoute:

"Over the past several years some of our faculty have been finding it difficult to arrange time to serve as facilitators during the Friday 1-3pm time period. Therefore, we have asked for students to volunteer to attend PBL sessions on Thursdays from 4:15pm-6:15pm. Students who sign up for the Thursdays sessions would then have Friday afternoons free (except for Friday, Sept. 8th).

If you are interested in changing PBL session day from Friday to Thursday or if you have any questions regarding this memo, please call Donna or Kasia at 617-636-2400. The space in theses alternative groups is limited and will be assigned on a first come, first-serve basis".

PLEASE NOTE:
-Students in combined degree programs must make sure they don't have conflicts on Thursday 4:15pm-6:15pm.
-First PBL for all students is Friday, Sept 8th
-Attendance at PBL is mandatory.

yah, i got my packet today in the mail. lots of random info.

but holy bajeebus, i had no idea those opthalmoscopes were so expensive.

There are two ways to get a discounted T-pass.

#1) Go to the Bursar's Office (first floor of Posner, up the ramp) during the last 4 days of the month and get MBTA pass for the next month.

#2) Pay in advance for September through December passes at the same monthly rate as #1. Deadline is 8/4 and forms are available in the Bursar's Office.

A couple of things:
--Since #2 only works for September through December, if you want an August T-Pass, you need to go with option #1 for August.
--Payment is by cash or check
--Since the month-by-month is the same price as the four month pass monthly rate, why bother with the pre-pay? These are the advantages I was told by the Bursar's Office:
#1) You don't have to remember to pay every month
#2) MBTA prices might increase, so you would be locked in
#3) Whereas in #1 you have to go the last 4 days of the month, in #2, they'll hold your pass for you.

I'd just as soon go month-to-month since I don't know if I would get a pass for December (short month and all).

Chris

Thanks for that MBTA form thing. I was wondering how I'd be able to do it from across the country.

*waits for my Orientation packet*

So, I called this morning and signed up for the PBL session on Thursdays. Anyone else?

I don't think I will. Thursdays would be a really long day with the 2 hr interviewing class beforehand.

As opposed to staying until 6 on a given day, I'd rather leave at 3 pm on a Friday. Of course, I'm local, so I'm not likely to need to get a head start on driving for a weekend trip!

Chris

What lender are you guys using out of the three recommended lenders Tufts has (T.H.E., MedLoans, Tuft's own)? And why?

I'm thinking THE or MedLoans...but the benefits are pretty convoluded.

As far as lenders, I used THE. My boyfriend did some elaborate spreadsheet and it seemed to be the best (for me). However, I agree that it is completely convoluted.

Also, I signed up for Thursday PBL. Hopefully that will work with the MPH program or else I will have to switch back. I just want to be done as early as possible on Fridays.

See you all in three weeks!

miss bean said:
As far as lenders, I used THE. My boyfriend did some elaborate spreadsheet and it seemed to be the best (for me). However, I agree that it is completely convoluted.

Also, I signed up for Thursday PBL. Hopefully that will work with the MPH program or else I will have to switch back. I just want to be done as early as possible on Fridays.

See you all in three weeks!

haha...i had my dad do an intricate spreadsheet and found that the tufts loan offered the best rates and rebates. have someone actually punch through the numbers and do it right. granted, between THE and tufts, the difference was small. medloans offered a much crappier deal. don't fall for their advertising.

i picked THE... i don't remember exactly why now tho. i think i did the numbers and it came out a tiny bit better. although this stuff is so confusing that we seem to be coming up with different numbers.

Does anyone know if opthalmascopes/otoscopes are really mandatory? Is anyone buying theirs before school starts? I think I'm going to hold off until I find out whether or not we really need them or can sneak by without... so expensive.

silas2642 said:
Does anyone know if opthalmascopes/otoscopes are really mandatory? Is anyone buying theirs before school starts? I think I'm going to hold off until I find out whether or not we really need them or can sneak by without... so expensive.

I'm definitely waiting for school to start to see if its really needed. On a similar note, does anyone know if we get a second year student as a "mentor"? So we can find out which books we really need to purchase and which ones will just collect dust.

markss22411 said:
I'm definitely waiting for school to start to see if its really needed. On a similar note, does anyone know if we get a second year student as a "mentor"? So we can find out which books we really need to purchase and which ones will just collect dust.

We do receive a second year "mentor" who we meet during orientation... if you haven't received your packet (I have, but have only had time to glance at it), we do have lunch with the second years during orientation week and I think we're assigned a preceptor to help guide us through what we do and do not need. We also received a list of "required" and "recommended" texts, but I'm holding off until school starts to see if I actually need them.

silas2642 said:
We do receive a second year "mentor" who we meet during orientation... if you haven't received your packet (I have, but have only had time to glance at it), we do have lunch with the second years during orientation week and I think we're assigned a preceptor to help guide us through what we do and do not need. We also received a list of "required" and "recommended" texts, but I'm holding off until school starts to see if I actually need them.

i was happy to see my old biostats book on the list. :) for small miracles.

Yeah. My dad keeps wanting me to go on Amazon to buy books. But I really think I should just wait and see what I really need once I get there. Same with the other stuff like the scopes.

All the second years all really cool and enjoy answering questions. They'll tell you which classes you need the books for and the ones where the syllabus is more than enough. The syllabus for mol bio is terrible because they want people to go to lectures while the syllabus for biochem is two inches thick. A few of 'em also said they used the interviewing lecture time to get ready for pbl.

Also, I am pretty sure that ophthalmoscopes, reflex hammers and stethoscopes are mandatory for the physical diagnosis class. The BP cuff is optional. This is just what the second year teaching the physical diagnosis class for the summer program said. Maybe ebay?

We've been told this summer from students:

1) steth - yes
2) reflex hammers - yes, and their cheap
3) opth. and oto. - no
4) BP cuff

1) Get a good one but not top of the line. This should last you and it is important.

2) These are trivial expenses so don't worry.

3) We will be told we absolutely need them at the beginning of school. But, you don't. You will use it maybe once or twice. It was also suggested to get a handheld one, smaller and more compact. Odds are the hospital rooms in the clinic will have these instruments so no need to buy them or you can borrow them. If you find you need it 3rd year, you can still get in on the 1st year discount.

4) No way is it needed.

Again, this a general consensus of what we've heard.

Chris

BrodieDurden said:
All the second years all really cool and enjoy answering questions. They'll tell you which classes you need the books for and the ones where the syllabus is more than enough. The syllabus for mol bio is terrible because they want people to go to lectures while the syllabus for biochem is two inches thick. A few of 'em also said they used the interviewing lecture time to get ready for pbl.

Also, I am pretty sure that ophthalmoscopes, reflex hammers and stethoscopes are mandatory for the physical diagnosis class. The BP cuff is optional. This is just what the second year teaching the physical diagnosis class for the summer program said. Maybe ebay?
You're from San Diego? How's your housing situation?

Finding housing has been hard since I'm not in town and haven't been in town.

Cell phones: I've looked into all 3 major providers. I'm in the market for a primary wireless (no landline). Seems like Cingular with their rollover minutes and 7% Tufts discount (discount on total bill -not confirmed yet) is the way to go. I just question their Boston coverage/reception.
Does anyone have experience with Cingular or other Boston providers?
Has anyone purchased plans via Amazon? (phones are free for 2 year plans vs. ~100-150$ in Cingular stores for same plan).

Any insight is welcome!

Thanks...seeya soon.