Official Tufts class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
silas2642 said:
How did you like Dartmouth? I had an interview invite there, but declined. I just thought that it wouldn't be a good fit for me-- it's in the middle of nowhere, ivy league, limited clinical exposure. I'm pretty happy about my decision to go to Tufts; I honestly can't picture myself going anywhere else.

To all other accepted applicants: start posting, the lack of activity on this page is really getting embarassing!!
yeah there isn't much to talk about though right now. can't do much about housing with the housing link still not having gone up yet.

why does Tufts do it's final round of acceptances so close to the May 15th deadline? doesn't leave much time to make a decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there fellow Tufts DMD/MD students,

It is great to see such great enthusiasm already for this upcoming August. I too share the same excitement for meeting all of you, living in Boston, and learning some amazing things over the next 4 years. I've lived in California my entire life anyone else from the West Coast? How far of a commute is Cambridge to downtown (b/c I found a reasonably priced, nice 3 bdrm there)? I see that Tufts estimated the cost of living per month at $1650 with rent at $1000. Anyone find that kind of expensive? I'm interested to hear what the average rent of current Tufts students. Be in touch!

jewelsnottools said:
Hi there fellow Tufts DMD/MD students,

It is great to see such great enthusiasm already for this upcoming August. I too share the same excitement for meeting all of you, living in Boston, and learning some amazing things over the next 4 years. I've lived in California my entire life anyone else from the West Coast? How far of a commute is Cambridge to downtown (b/c I found a reasonably priced, nice 3 bdrm there)? I see that Tufts estimated the cost of living per month at $1650 with rent at $1000. Anyone find that kind of expensive? I'm interested to hear what the average rent of current Tufts students. Be in touch!
yeah $1000 a month kind of sucks, but that's basically what i'm paying in Philly. $650 in living expense is definitely reasonable considering you won't have nearly as much free time to spend it in. personally, i'm looking for a roommate or 2, so i can knock that price down to around $900 a month.

Members don't see this ad :)
dum dee dum. anything interesting going on here? when are those links supposed to go up?

how soon after you finished submitting the institutional forms, did you guys get your fin aid reports?

PhillyMD2006 said:
dum dee dum. anything interesting going on here? when are those links supposed to go up?

how soon after you finished submitting the institutional forms, did you guys get your fin aid reports?

I think I'm complete, but has anyone else received their financial aid yet? Did you guys get anything?

does anyone know the deal with the pre-matriculation summer program? i.e. when it starts, how long it runs, what is the class schedule like? essentially, is it worth it?

PhillyMD2006 said:
does anyone know the deal with the pre-matriculation summer program? i.e. when it starts, how long it runs, what is the class schedule like? essentially, is it worth it?

I don't know... how long have you been out of school PhillyMD? If it's been awhile since your last class, you might want to email emily condon about it. I'm not all that interested in it because it's one of my last, if not my last, free summer in which I'll have the opportunity to sit around and do absolutely nothing. Plus, I'm coming directly from undergrad... so I'm hoping I'll be okay.

silas2642 said:
I don't know... how long have you been out of school PhillyMD? If it's been awhile since your last class, you might want to email emily condon about it. I'm not all that interested in it because it's one of my last, if not my last, free summer in which I'll have the opportunity to sit around and do absolutely nothing. Plus, I'm coming directly from undergrad... so I'm hoping I'll be okay.
out of school for 2 years. i'm not really worried about jumping back into the rigors of the academic world b/c i've been doing a fair amount of scientific reading/writing at my research position. i am, however, curious if by taking a course or two, we can lighten our load as 1st years. i'll be the 1st to admit that i am one of the worst managers of time, so taking 1 less class 1st year is something i could benefit from greatly.

Hey guys, I hear a lot of chat about looking for places along the orange line. Don't feel that has to be the case. You can live anywhere on the green line (i.e. Brookline, which is great) because the Boylston T-stop is onlya 4 min walk to NEMC/Tufts. I wouldn't want anyone to think they had to compromise for something less because they didn't know this.

PhillyMD2006 said:
out of school for 2 years. i'm not really worried about jumping back into the rigors of the academic world b/c i've been doing a fair amount of scientific reading/writing at my research position. i am, however, curious if by taking a course or two, we can lighten our load as 1st years. i'll be the 1st to admit that i am one of the worst managers of time, so taking 1 less class 1st year is something i could benefit from greatly.

not worth it. it's manageable. you can place out of biochem, but the test you have to take is hard. same with with molecular bio. take the classes and you'll be better for it.

What are you guys doing for computers? Are you buying new ones this summer, waiting until school starts to see what we need/get group deals, taking your old ones... I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about going with an IBM thinkpad, but I'm not sure.

Hey all,
So looks like Tufts for me. I have changed my mind about a thousand times. My family is in Wisconsin, I was accepted to MCW and UW-Madison, both waaaay cheaper, but I love Boston, lived there for years, and love Tufts. So in conclusion, if I can just keep myself from looking at the price tag, and don't get off the waitlist at Harvard, I'll be seeing you next year!
btw, anyone know when we hear about FinAid?

lexy10 said:
Hey all,
So looks like Tufts for me. I have changed my mind about a thousand times. My family is in Wisconsin, I was accepted to MCW and UW-Madison, both waaaay cheaper, but I love Boston, lived there for years, and love Tufts. So in conclusion, if I can just keep myself from looking at the price tag, and don't get off the waitlist at Harvard, I'll be seeing you next year!
btw, anyone know when we hear about FinAid?

I think it depends on when you sent your packet in. I forgot to sign my tax return (oops) and so I probably won't be getting mine back until the end of May. Ouch.

Members don't see this ad :)
The PSP will begin on Tuesday, July 10th to Friday, August 18th , 2006
in the Sackler Building. The PSP is housed on the Health Sciences
Campus for six weeks in the Posner Hall Dormitory. Students are able to
move into Posner Hall on Sunday, July 9th, the Resident Assistant will
be there to greet you. Additional information is sent out in early
June.

The PSP offers you exposure to your first semester courses as well as a
three-week clinical experience with a mentor. It is an excellent
opportunity to facilitate your move to Boston and become familiar with
the Medical School, networking, coursework and the city. Your courses
will include:

Physiology
Molecular Biology
Physical Diagnosis
Immunology
Histology
Biochemistry
Anatomy

In addition to coursework, students have workshops that includes
financial aid, stress management, social activities and tips for a
successful first year from upper classmen, use of computer services and
social activities with upperclassmen. Lockers are assigned and the
photo ID is taken. Also ample opportunity is given to settle in the Boston
area.

E-mail Colleen Romain [[email protected]] if anyone wants any more info.

Are you thinking about doing the pre-matriculation program, PhillyMD? It sounds good, but then this is one of our last summer's of freedom!! I kind of wanted to spend the summer doing... well, nothing.

silas2642 said:
Are you thinking about doing the pre-matriculation program, PhillyMD? It sounds good, but then this is one of our last summer's of freedom!! I kind of wanted to spend the summer doing... well, nothing.
thinking about it. i generally get bored if something's not occupying my time, so 2 months off before it could be enough for me. plus, since the grades are counted, if you get tired of it, i'm sure you can drop and/or coast.

silas2642 said:
What are you guys doing for computers? Are you buying new ones this summer, waiting until school starts to see what we need/get group deals, taking your old ones... I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking about going with an IBM thinkpad, but I'm not sure.

The new operating system will be Windows Vista, like Xp, it will dominate for the next four years after it is released (likely) , it will suck to buy a computer before it comes out since it will have so many demands on hardware and won't be fun to upgrade with laptops that might need beefier video cards, etc, to run it well. It should be out dec/jan. So I'm def waiting until then to buy my next Thinkpad (it's the most reliable I have used). If you feel you can't wait, simply ungrade your hard drive for $100 to give you that new computer feel until Vista/new technologies come out.

Hope that was some help.

bostonguy said:
The new operating system will be Windows Vista, like Xp, it will dominate for the next four years after it is released (likely) , it will suck to buy a computer before it comes out since it will have so many demands on hardware and won't be fun to upgrade with laptops that might need beefier video cards, etc, to run it well. It should be out dec/jan. So I'm def waiting until then to buy my next Thinkpad (it's the most reliable I have used). If you feel you can't wait, simply ungrade your hard drive for $100 to give you that new computer feel until Vista/new technologies come out.

Hope that was some help.
bostonguy, is it true that the new laptops/desktops will basically be sold with a sticker that says "Vista compatible"? meaning that you will be able to upgrade to the newer OS without much problem?

also, anyone have the link to the page for accepted students?

bostonguy said:

Hope that was some help.

Yes, very helpful. Thanks for the heads up... will definitely wait until December to get a new computer.

PhillyMD2006 said:
bostonguy, is it true that the new laptops/desktops will basically be sold with a sticker that says "Vista compatible"? meaning that you will be able to upgrade to the newer OS without much problem?

also, anyone have the link to the page for accepted students?

I have not heard about that, but it sounds like something computer manufacturers would do. However, it will be a big change so the upgrade will be a giant headache and the new visual look to the operating system will require a big video card so I picture that future laptops will all be forced to have better video cards. More importantly, the new operating system will allow for new hardware features like an external display that will come with future laptops (i.e. you will be able to check your email etc., quick from the outside of the laptop while it is off or asleep, very cool if you are on the go)

PhillyMD2006 and others: just out of curiosity, where else have you guys received acceptances from and what made you choose Tufts over other schools?

Hey guys, I am curious to learn about the options for Tufts students to use athletic gyms? I am a squash player, know Tufts does not own courts in Chinatown, that is interested to workout a few times a week at minimum! I am waiting for a decision, yet I want to begin to think about life beyond the classroom prior to choosing a medical school. Hopefully, there are people in the "know." Thanks guys, and good luck with your Tufts decision.

PolarBear04 said:
Hey guys, I am curious to learn about the options for Tufts students to use athletic gyms? I am a squash player, know Tufts does not own courts in Chinatown, that is interested to workout a few times a week at minimum! I am waiting for a decision, yet I want to begin to think about life beyond the classroom prior to choosing a medical school. Hopefully, there are people in the "know." Thanks guys, and good luck with your Tufts decision.

There are DEFINITELY ways to avoid paying $1000/month for an apartment. If youre willing to have a roommate or two, and commute on the T or bus, you can definitely find an apartment in the $600-900 range. Some great areas to consider are Cambridge (on the red line), Jamaica Plain (on the orange line), and Brookline or Allston/Brighton (on the green line). I live in Brighton now and it's very affordable.

Hey everyone...

I've been waiting to here from tufts for the past 6 months so I'm not sure if I'm getting in or not.

Anyway, I've been living in somerville for almost 5 years... you can find apartments with roomate for as little as $500 a month if you want to walk to the T or take a bus. My rent is $750 (with 1 roomate) and I'm right in Davis square near the redline. I might stick with the apartment if I decide to go to tufts.

If anyone has any questions about boston just let me know and I'll try to help out...

Hello -

I am posting an avilable bedroom in an apartment in boston (males only please). It is a very nice 3 bedroom near the BU main campus. You would be living with 2 males - one will be a second year med student at BU and the other will be in the Medical Science masters program at BU. To get to class you will walk 5 minutes to catch the T at either the St. paul stop on the C line or the pleasant st. stop on the B line. I live there now and work at tufts hospital and it takes me 30 mins to go from door to door. You will also be 5 mins walk from plenty of shops (including trader joe's) and restaurants. The bedroom is on the small side with a walk in closet and the aparmtent is large and on a nice quiet street and 5 mins walk to the T (subway). The price is $650/month starting Aug 1. PM me if interested.....

moose

Has anyone received their financial aid package yet?!?

LMK2010 said:

Yup. I almost cried since I found out that I'm going to be eating nothing but Ramen noodles and saltine crackers for the next 20 years.

ok, kinda silly question i think but i just want to be sure.

i still haven't gotten my fin aid package because my parent won't be submitting this year's tax info until like early next week (i thought tufts might be willing to base it on last year's info but i guess not...). i can't go looking for loans until i get that fin aid package, right? because for the stafford loans i need to know if i'm getting any aid, right?

1. When do we fill out the housing forms?
2. How much do they charge per month to live at Posner Hall?

'tufts twenty ten' kinda rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

i wonder what the tufts jumbos are best known for.

PhillyMD2006 said:
1. When do we fill out the housing forms?
2. How much do they charge per month to live at Posner Hall?

I keep checking the selected applicants site... they say they will post something in the summer of 2006 regarding Posner.

Does anyone know what goes on at orientation?? fun stuff?

LMK2010 said:
Does anyone know what goes on at orientation?? fun stuff?

during the tour on the interview day, the current first years made it seem like there were housekeeping things during the day and then social events at night. i dont remember what the events were but the students said they were fun and worth attending. i dont remember if they said the day time activities were fun or worth attending.

LMK2010 said:

yes, lots of loans.

recently accepted here. is it still possible to apply for a dual-degree program? i've been going back and forth, and putting it off (obviously), but people have been talking it up and i'm interested.

PhillyMD2006 said:

I didn't actually participate in the pre-matriculation program, but you aren't really getting ahead of the game by completing classes. Instead, you're really getting a bunch of mini-courses to increase your exposure to the classes, but you don't actually receive any credit for the courses. I believe the program started in the first week of July last year and ran through the second week in August.

One of the benefits of the program, however, is that you do get a head start in meeting people and making friends. Some of my classmates who participated in the pre-matriculation program are incredibly close friends, and may not have had the opportunity to get to know each other otherwise.

I believe that you can still apply for a dual degree program even after acceptance to the MD program. If you're really on the fence, please think long and hard about this.

I wanted to do a dual degree program, but wasn't sure if I could handle the additional course work and I've been kicking myself in the a$$ ever since.

Contact the Admissions office and they'll be able to connect you with the appropriate people for the various programs if you have any questions.

oneaat said:
recently accepted here. is it still possible to apply for a dual-degree program? i've been going back and forth, and putting it off (obviously), but people have been talking it up and i'm interested.

if anyone else was wondering, the answer was yes. :)

bsylvia, so you did NOT do the dual degree program? How do you like Tufts, what's the workload like? Would you go again if given the opportunity?

silas2642 said:
Come on, guys, I know there are acceptances out there! Tell me if you're going to be my classmate next year!

I just checked the calender for 2006- 2007 and noticed that the White Coat Ceremony is scheduled for Sept 9. Should I be inviting my parents to attend?

thanks

Does anyone remember seeing an example of a daily schedule for a first year? I looked in the folder from the interview but I didnt see one, even though I vaguely remember seeing it somewhere. Classes start at 8AM, right?

Also, does anyone remember mention of a parking garage that students can use?

Im trying to figure out how Im gunna get to school every morning!

LMK2010 said:
Does anyone remember seeing an example of a daily schedule for a first year? I looked in the folder from the interview but I didnt see one, even though I vaguely remember seeing it somewhere. Classes start at 8AM, right?

I just wanted to add myself to the class of 2010 list.

I remember the daily schedule being on the powerpoint presentation that is given during the interview day....I'm not sure if it's available on the Tufts website or not. The only thing I liked was there was scheduled time off around exams.

And I don't think there's a student parking garage. I think the T is the preferred way to travel.

markss22411 said:
And I don't think there's a student parking garage. I think the T is the preferred way to travel.

There's a parking garage directly across from the main entrance to NEMC; for students it's, I think $4.50 per day. For non-students it's about $7 for a few hours if it's validated by a hospital dept. There's generally room to park there, but traffic around the time classes begin and end is horrific.

LMK2010 said:

if you go on TUSK as a guest (http://tusk.tufts.edu/home) you can click on the schedule link which is near the drop down menus for each year. you can go all the way back to august 2005 (the orientation week is marked from 8-7 every day if i remember correctly). the schedule is pretty great. you can click on the block you're interested in and it will bring up pertinent information. anyways, in the beginning it looks like first years start at 8 and then after a while it shifts to 9.

as far as parking, if you go to the same site that the bursars office is on, there some stuff about t passes, parking, etc i think.

psulli4 said:
if you go on TUSK as a guest (http://tusk.tufts.edu/home) you can click on the schedule link which is near the drop down menus for each year. you can go all the way back to august 2005 (the orientation week is marked from 8-7 every day if i remember correctly). the schedule is pretty great. you can click on the block you're interested in and it will bring up pertinent information. anyways, in the beginning it looks like first years start at 8 and then after a while it shifts to 9.

as far as parking, if you go to the same site that the bursars office is on, there some stuff about t passes, parking, etc i think.

That is very helpful. Thank you!!

psulli4 said:

ooo, there's "study" time in there. and class sometimes randomly doesn't start til late or gets out at noon. those little variations are gonna break things up nicely.

silas2642 said:
bsylvia, so you did NOT do the dual degree program? How do you like Tufts, what's the workload like? Would you go again if given the opportunity?

That's what I was trying to say -- I regret not doing the dual degree program. The work load (MD degree only) is certainly manageable. I was on the fence about doing the MD/MPH program, and would certainly apply if given the opportunity.

I know that my friends who are dual degree students get a little more stressed out with the extra classes, but they all seem to be doing fine (academically and emotionally).

has anyone received or submitted any forms regarding student housing for the upcoming year?