Official Tufts class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the two have already been accepted, and for the more to come after the adcom meets 12/13.

Members don't see this ad.

Come on, guys, I know there are acceptances out there! Tell me if you're going to be my classmate next year!

silas2642 said:
Come on, guys, I know there are acceptances out there! Tell me if you're going to be my classmate next year![/QUOTE

Count me in!

Members don't see this ad :)
All right!! Where are you from? Are def going here? I think I am, it was my top choice... I have other interviews but I think I'm going to cancel them now because I have no money. I am so excited to be in Boston next year!!!

silas2642 said:
All right!! Where are you from? Are def going here? I think I am, it was my top choice... I have other interviews but I think I'm going to cancel them now because I have no money. I am so excited to be in Boston next year!!!

I got accepted!!! My sister goes to Tufts Dental and I would love to be near family, plus I love Boston....I am not sure on Tufts though because of the price....it scares me!!

Opallife said:
I got accepted!!! My sister goes to Tufts Dental and I would love to be near family, plus I love Boston....I am not sure on Tufts though because of the price....it scares me!!

It scares me too, but since I don't have a state school I figured I was already pretty much screwed financially no matter where I went. So why not Tufts?!! I love Boston, the students are nice and laid back, the faculty seems to really be concerned about their students, and the match list is great. Plus, it's near home, which was probably one of the biggest selling points for me. Hope to see you there next year! But if I were you, and got into a state school (is UMiami state-funded) I would go there because the price is so much better.

silas2642 said:

I am from Massachusetts and currently working in Boston at Harvard Med. You? It is pretty likely that I will be attending Tufts in the fall. Tufts and Umass are tied for number one in my book, but I might be tempted to stray by super cheap tuition (that is if I am accepted). If not, I will see you in the fall!!!!!!!

MedChef said:
I am from Massachusetts and currently working in Boston at Harvard Med. You? It is pretty likely that I will be attending Tufts in the fall. Tufts and Umass are tied for number one in my book, but I might be tempted to stray by super cheap tuition (that is if I am accepted). If not, I will see you in the fall!!!!!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's Tufts for me... I didn't have a lot of money to throw around this application cycle; only returned secondaries to like 5 or 6 schools. Of them Tufts was my top choice, mostly because it's in Boston, a city that I absolutely love. If you go, make sure you pm me so we can meet up sometime at orientation!! Good luck at UMass-- awesome school from what I hear.

What are you guys doing for housing next year? I'm thinking about living in the dorms, but I've heard they're awful. I think I could stand it considering how expensive housing can be. If the whole dorm thing doesn't work out, is there anyone else interested in a roomate for next year?

Hey guys,

I'll be joining y'all (all 3 of you..) come Aug.
Regarding housing...
I'm looking into cambridge (central sq.) and Brookline areas.
Anyone know how I would be able to take advantage of the Medford (Tufts undergrad) free sports facilities from these two locations (using public transportation/bike)?
The alternative is pricy city facilities that are not really my forte...

Thanks.

silas2642 said:
What are you guys doing for housing next year? I'm thinking about living in the dorms, but I've heard they're awful. I think I could stand it considering how expensive housing can be. If the whole dorm thing doesn't work out, is there anyone else interested in a roomate for next year?

I am going to look into Cambridge, Jamaica Plain (JP), and Malden to start. They key is to either be on the orange line so you can get off around the corner at NEMC or the rather fast red line (it is a short walk from South Station or Downtown Crossing). The green line is pretty slow. Also, rent is cheaper in JP and you get more space for your money. I am going to avoid the dorms. My tour guides also said that they were awful and not much cheaper than some apartments.

usreal said:
Hey guys,

I'll be joining y'all (all 3 of you..) come Aug.
Regarding housing...
I'm looking into cambridge (central sq.) and Brookline areas.
Anyone know how I would be able to take advantage of the Medford (Tufts undergrad) free sports facilities from these two locations (using public transportation/bike)?
The alternative is pricy city facilities that are not really my forte...

Thanks.

If you want to be able to get to the Medord campus easily you're gonna want to live near the red line, so around Central Square would be perfect (but more expensive, of course). From the Davis Square T stop it's about a 10/15 minute walk to the undergrad campus, but Tufts does have a shuttle that runs frequently from Davis Square to campus. Living in Brookline means that if you took the T you'd have to first go inbound to Park and then back out on the red line to Davis, which is a pretty long trip. I'm sure there's a bus that takes a more direct route, but it can suck to have to wait outside for a bus during the winter.

Most of the Tufts med\biomedical students I know have given up on trying to go all the way out to Medford to get a workout, and they instead have memberships at the Y downtown. I think there's a Tufts discount they take advantage of.

Hope that helps.

In terms of cheap places to live, Jamaica Plains is the way to go. I've heard that it actually has a nice neighborhoody feel to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
razen_x said:
If you want to be able to get to the Medord campus easily you're gonna want to live near the red line, so around Central Square would be perfect (but more expensive, of course). From the Davis Square T stop it's about a 10/15 minute walk to the undergrad campus, but Tufts does have a shuttle that runs frequently from Davis Square to campus. Living in Brookline means that if you took the T you'd have to first go inbound to Park and then back out on the red line to Davis, which is a pretty long trip. I'm sure there's a bus that takes a more direct route, but it can suck to have to wait outside for a bus during the winter.

Most of the Tufts med\biomedical students I know have given up on trying to go all the way out to Medford to get a workout, and they instead have memberships at the Y downtown. I think there's a Tufts discount they take advantage of.

Hope that helps.

In terms of cheap places to live, Jamaica Plains is the way to go. I've heard that it actually has a nice neighborhoody feel to it.

Thank you! I might save the Medford trips for Sundays :)

Just out of curiosity, have you guys checked out the interview feedback for Tufts lately? There was this guy who was saying their students have terrible board scores and that we ought to go somewhere else. Does anyone know if this is true about the board scores? I mean, I know that any medical school has its lovers and haters...

This entire process just makes me a little nervous. I know that Tufts is the best fit for me, but it's still a little weird choosing where you're going to be for the next four years of your life based on brochures and a one day interview at the place.

silas2642 said:
Just out of curiosity, have you guys checked out the interview feedback for Tufts lately? There was this guy who was saying their students have terrible board scores and that we ought to go somewhere else. Does anyone know if this is true about the board scores? I mean, I know that any medical school has its lovers and haters...

This entire process just makes me a little nervous. I know that Tufts is the best fit for me, but it's still a little weird choosing where you're going to be for the next four years of your life based on brochures and a one day interview at the place.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Here is the link to their match list. I found it pretty impressive compared to other schools' lists.
http://www.tufts.edu/med/medissue/archives/april2004/sacklerb/2004_TUSM_Match_List.pdf

What is the USMLE step 1 prep like? I like BU's prep b/c it starts half-way through second year in the Biology of disease course.

I KNOW a new batch of acceptances just went out, so you guys better start posting!! All the other med schools are making us look really bad.

Hey guys,

got my acceptance today for the md/mba program...ive been fortunate enough to get a few acceptances, at this point (unless maybe a couple of state schools), i'm deciding between this program and mt. sinai...mt. sinai has been my first choice the whole way through, but i was really impressed with tufts as well, and being accepted to the dual degree program is a bit enticing...as applicants who are pretty set on tufts, do you have any thoughts about why tufts might be a better choice? thanks

ILLmatic said:
Hey guys,

got my acceptance today for the md/mba program...ive been fortunate enough to get a few acceptances, at this point (unless maybe a couple of state schools), i'm deciding between this program and mt. sinai...mt. sinai has been my first choice the whole way through, but i was really impressed with tufts as well, and being accepted to the dual degree program is a bit enticing...as applicants who are pretty set on tufts, do you have any thoughts about why tufts might be a better choice? thanks

i think the tufts MD program is where im headed right now. ive been accepted to a couple of other schools, but wasnt that keen on any of them. I am also applying for the MBA dual degree, but definitely not at Tufts. DId you know that the MBA program isnt accredited? I found this out at my interview. Northwestern is my top choice (waitlisted), but otherwise it looks like its Tufts for me and MBA elsewhere!

If you go for an MBA elsewhere, do you think you will be able to do it in a year? I think you may need to spend two years in an MBA program? Plus, it is going to be more challenging then just applying to a dual program.

pnasty said:
i think the tufts MD program is where im headed right now. ive been accepted to a couple of other schools, but wasnt that keen on any of them. I am also applying for the MBA dual degree, but definitely not at Tufts. DId you know that the MBA program isnt accredited? I found this out at my interview. Northwestern is my top choice (waitlisted), but otherwise it looks like its Tufts for me and MBA elsewhere!

ILLmatic said:
Hey guys,

Rough decision, but I guess it's a pretty good position to be in. They're both excellent schools, so I guess it comes down to where would you rather live?

PolarBear04 said:
If you go for an MBA elsewhere, do you think you will be able to do it in a year? I think you may need to spend two years in an MBA program? Plus, it is going to be more challenging then just applying to a dual program.

Yeah it will probably be tougher to get into and may take longer, im not sure...but ultimately the difference between an accredited and non-accredited school is enormous. It's even worse than the stigma of going to med school outside the US.

Last edited:
stimmed said:
Business school accredation isn't nearly as important as medical school accrediation, especially in the context of a dual degree. Many online MBA's are "accredited." The Tufts MD/MBA program was the pioneering MD/MBA program in the US (and world) - the first of its kind. It's 10 years old now. It is not accredited because it is very young (despite being the "first" to combine both degrees into a program), and because it combines classes from several other ACCREDITED MBA programs: Northeastern's, Brandeis', and the option to take classes at BU's as well. Contracts with these others schools and the perfection of the program is still underway and subject to change. Most md/mba's involve taking md classes, then mba classes, and then a year where you squeeze in both schools' classes without having the business and medical schools actually interact to any large degree. Tufts is one of the few truly integrated md/mba's, with classes taylored towards the medical school experience and eventual careers as physicians.

Unless you're planning on being hired by Pfizer after you finish med school, the word, "accrediation" holds very little importance, and even then, MD/MBA is what they'll notice, not "unaccredited" mba. I'm a md/mba at tufts, and we attend seminars in which top pharm companies come to lecture about whatever the topic of the day happens to be. They also try to recruit us in these meetings because of the degree.

So don't worry, the MBA is respected and worth it. This is especially true in light of the fact that you are MD/mba's, not just mba's, and that you're taking classes from accredited schools anyway. The dual degree IS your accredation. You'll learn to manage healthcare organizations, become entrepreneurs in the healthcare sector, invest capital you make as a doctor, and run your own practice. You'll also have the flexibility to choose other courses from northeastern or BU if you feel you don't need more training in a particular subject in the curriculum.

The order of importance for MD/MBA's in terms of the experience from business school follows: connections, real-world experience, and lastly degree. You'll get all three in spades at Tufts.

i appreciate the time you took to discuss this, and I think hearing from a student who posts positively is great for the program. however, there have been Tufts students (Especially in the interview feedback section) who advise to avoid tufts dual degree program. He or she explicitly says that they people who have come to recruit from the school told him that the non-accreditation was frowned upon.......have you come across this at all? it's hard for me to believe that the mba is well recognized even though its not accredited and tufts doesn't have a bus school

Last edited:
Hi.
Is Tufts going to have a 2nd look weekend?

Hello all,

I'm still debating between Brown and Tufts at this point. But I really liked the fact that Tufts is right in the center of Boston, which is my favorite city. The students and faculty were so nice and laid back.Brown has its advantages also and their campus is beautiful. it's going to be tough to pick between both. I wish I had a magic crystal ball to make the choice for me. :p does anybody know when is the second look program at Tufts? also is anybody planning on attending the summer program? I would hate to spend my summer before med school in classes but I wouldn't want to be at a disadvantage either...crystal ball where are thou?... :laugh:

Hi! I'm a first year at Tufts Dental right now. I was looking for a roommate for next year. I am currently renting a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment. It is on the 22nd floor with a view of the Boston Harbor. It is 3 stops from the dental school on the Orange Line (takes about 5 minutes) or about a 10-12 minute walk. The T stop is right next to the building. If you are interested, please email me at [email protected]. Thank you!

hey all, I just found out that Tufts won't have a second look program. But you can arrange to sit on a class with a volunteer student and visit "campus" on your own. I'll probably do that. Does anybody remember if Tufts has all lectures or some PBL as well?

doctoresse said:
hey all, I just found out that Tufts won't have a second look program. But you can arrange to sit on a class with a volunteer student and visit "campus" on your own. I'll probably do that. Does anybody remember if Tufts has all lectures or some PBL as well?

Hi guys,
I'm sitting in a few classes this Thursday. It was really easy to set up through the admissions office. The student you end up shadowing can give you the details. Their schedule varies week to week. For this week it looks like most of the classes are on Tu/Wed/Thu with lectures in the morning 9-12pm and a lab on Thu, and PBL/Clinical Cases small group meetings anywhere between 1-6pm.

If you're interested in the class schedule for the current med students, you can acess it by going to tusk.tufts.edu and signing in as a guest.

Since apparently there is no 2nd look weekend, does that mean that there isn't an opportunity to meet other students who are potentially looking for roommates? Or is that a separate event closer to the start of school?

I think that they will have an event to meet other students, I know they have a summer program for anybody interested.

doctoresse said:
I think that they will have an event to meet other students, I know they have a summer program for anybody interested.
Any idea when that is? And is the summer program worth it?

PhillyMD2006 said:
Any idea when that is? And is the summer program worth it?

I don't know when it begins, but I guess it's worth it if you've been out of school for awhile.

PhillyMD2006: you've been accepted to Tufts, right? Is it definitely Tufts if you don't get off the Columbia waitlist?

silas2642 said:
I don't know when it begins, but I guess it's worth it if you've been out of school for awhile.

PhillyMD2006: you've been accepted to Tufts, right? Is it definitely Tufts if you don't get off the Columbia waitlist?
That's the plan.

PhillyMD2006 said:
That's the plan.
Very sweet. Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for housing next year? Have you started looking into it yet?

silas2642 said:
Very sweet. Just out of curiosity, what are you doing for housing next year? Have you started looking into it yet?
That is the question. Fotunately, I have a friend who is a 1st year now, so he is of some help to me. His general advice was to live somewhere along the Orange line. So basically I'm going to try and restrict my search to somewhere within a couple block radius of a T stop. Should lead to a never-ending search on Craigslist. Although, I'm not making any commitments until I consult the Housing Coordinator they hire.

Silas, what's your deal?

PhillyMD2006 said:
That is the question. Fotunately, I have a friend who is a 1st year now, so he is of some help to me. His general advice was to live somewhere along the Orange line. So basically I'm going to try and restrict my search to somewhere within a couple block radius of a T stop. Should lead to a never-ending search on Craigslist. Although, I'm not making any commitments until I consult the Housing Coordinator they hire.

Silas, what's your deal?

Tufts was my first choice right from the start. I didn't have a lot of money for applications, so I didn't apply to many schools-- returned only six secondaries. I live in an area where TUSM students rotate through and I've had the chance to meet a few of them; I thought they were great. I had a fabulous time on my interview day, I'm completely in love with Boston (GO SOX!!), and so once I got my acceptance in December I dropped all the other schools.

The only thing about living in an apartment is the roomate issue... if you end up getting a roomate that you completely incompatible with, your first year may very well be a living hell. I've heard the dorms suck, but I think that I could deal with that for a year until I could meet some of our classmates and set something a little more appealing up later on. Where are you from, anyway? UPenn? I'm just taking a wild guess. Congratulations, btw, on your success; I hope Columbia works out for you because it sounds like you really want to go there. If not, can't wait to meet you come late August.

Hi everyone,

I'm a current third year (M'07). The dual degree is questionable....the general mantra on MBA programs is it's not worth doing unless it's at one of the top few programs in the country (harvard, penn, mit, etc). I tend to be skeptical of dual degrees, but tufts has its share. The only dual programs i'd consider are the MD/MPH or the MD/MALD, though I'm in neither program.

As for the board scores.... we do quite well. And I know for a fact that a good portion of our class does pretty well (240+). That said, if you're a lazy idiot, you could have the best education in the world and fail. PM if you have any questions.

Oh, and for housing, there's a rising first year every summer who becomes the housing coordinator for incoming students. That person will have a list of available apartments (courtesy of classmates and graduating seniors).

silas2642 said:
Tufts was my first choice right from the start. I didn't have a lot of money for applications, so I didn't apply to many schools-- returned only six secondaries. I live in an area where TUSM students rotate through and I've had the chance to meet a few of them; I thought they were great. I had a fabulous time on my interview day, I'm completely in love with Boston (GO SOX!!), and so once I got my acceptance in December I dropped all the other schools.

The only thing about living in an apartment is the roomate issue... if you end up getting a roomate that you completely incompatible with, your first year may very well be a living hell. I've heard the dorms suck, but I think that I could deal with that for a year until I could meet some of our classmates and set something a little more appealing up later on. Where are you from, anyway? UPenn? I'm just taking a wild guess. Congratulations, btw, on your success; I hope Columbia works out for you because it sounds like you really want to go there. If not, can't wait to meet you come late August.
Glad to hear Silas. I look forward to meeting you.

When I applied, I narrowed it down to 3 cities I wanted to be in: Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. So yes, while I would love to be in Boston starting this fall, New York, being closer to friends and family, has an edge in my mind.

Penn. You?

emtji said:
Hi everyone,

I'm a current third year (M'07). The dual degree is questionable....the general mantra on MBA programs is it's not worth doing unless it's at one of the top few programs in the country (harvard, penn, mit, etc).

I'm a first year md/mba.

True for lone mba's. False for dual degree md/mba's. It is very easy to be hired as a tufts md/mba, which (along with making connections) is the only reason for that "mantra." At a recent video conference with md/mba alumni, of 8 that attended, 3 were solely in business. One works on wallstreet, one is a hedgefund manager, and one is a venture capitalist. Moreover, Tufts has the largest md/mba class of 16, making for many more direct contacts than the average 3-5 at other schools.

emtji said:
I tend to be skeptical of dual degrees, but tufts has its share.

The medical school community has not shared your skepticism. Since Tufts' founding program ten years ago, a third to half of the country has followed suite, creating their own md/mba programs.

emtji said:
The only dual programs i'd consider are the MD/MPH or the MD/MALD, though I'm in neither program.

I have a few MD/MPH friends, most of whom are dissatisfied with the program. However, i speak only for them; perhaps it is only these few that dislike it.

I'm quite satisfied with the md/mba program.

PhillyMD2006 said:
Glad to hear Silas. I look forward to meeting you.

When I applied, I narrowed it down to 3 cities I wanted to be in: Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. So yes, while I would love to be in Boston starting this fall, New York, being closer to friends and family, has an edge in my mind.

Penn. You?

My state school.

fair enough.
The MD/MBA makes sense if you'll use it. It's not worth it for the extra feather in your cap.

cleansocks said:
I'm a first year md/mba.

True for lone mba's. False for dual degree md/mba's. It is very easy to be hired as a tufts md/mba, which (along with making connections) is the only reason for that "mantra." At a recent video conference with md/mba alumni, of 8 that attended, 3 were solely in business. One works on wallstreet, one is a hedgefund manager, and one is a venture capitalist. Moreover, Tufts has the largest md/mba class of 16, making for many more direct contacts than the average 3-5 at other schools.

The medical school community has not shared your skepticism. Since Tufts' founding program ten years ago, a third to half of the country has followed suite, creating their own md/mba programs.

I have a few MD/MPH friends, most of whom are dissatisfied with the program. However, i speak only for them; perhaps it is only these few that dislike it.

I'm quite satisfied with the md/mba program.

I'm not from Boston so I'm going off a limited working knowledge of the area, but the areas I'm going to be looking in for an apartment are Copley Sq, Prudential, Symphony, Northeastern, and then along the Orange Line around the Back Bay, Mass Ave, and Ruggles T stops. Obviously, cost will be a factor so I'm going to be looking at 2 and 3 (and maybe 4) bedroom places. Are these good areas to be looking in? What kind of prices can I expect to pay? Craigslist is pretty useful, but pictures and descriptions can often be quite deceiving.

PhillyMD2006 said:
I'm not from Boston so I'm going off a limited working knowledge of the area, but the areas I'm going to be looking in for an apartment are Copley Sq, Prudential, Symphony, Northeastern, and then along the Orange Line around the Back Bay, Mass Ave, and Ruggles T stops. Obviously, cost will be a factor so I'm going to be looking at 2 and 3 (and maybe 4) bedroom places. Are these good areas to be looking in? What kind of prices can I expect to pay? Craigslist is pretty useful, but pictures and descriptions can often be quite deceiving.

People live everywhere. Look along the red and orange line and in the areas you mentioned. They're all typical places for Tufts kids. I don't know much about prices, but they will vary significantly depending on where you decide to stay. Back Bay will be the most expensive. The other areas will be better. I'd wait until the summer to get a place, so that you have the assistance of the university.

It got awfully quiet in here. When are the 3rd round of acceptances supposed to go out?

Anyway, I posted in the Pre-Allopathic Forum about Boston housing in general, and it looks like Copley Square/Prudential is the place to look (Back Bay if you can afford it).

It is definitely looking like Tufts for me. I am still on the wait-list at Dartmouth, and I think i would be torn if I got in, but Boston has great clinical opportunities/connections and there is something psychologically gratifiying about going to a school that has wonted you there from the beginning (maybe this is just me). :rolleyes:

I will be up in Boston for Passover this weekend, and will be sitting in on some classes on Friday. Anyone else planning to do that? I am also going to look for housing. Right now, I am thinking about the South End, but also possibly Cambridge because i have two big dogs.

I am really getting excited for school and to meet you all.

miss bean said:
It is definitely looking like Tufts for me. I am still on the wait-list at Dartmouth, and I think i would be torn if I got in, but Boston has great clinical opportunities/connections and there is something psychologically gratifiying about going to a school that has wonted you there from the beginning (maybe this is just me). :rolleyes:

I will be up in Boston for Passover this weekend, and will be sitting in on some classes on Friday. Anyone else planning to do that? I am also going to look for housing. Right now, I am thinking about the South End, but also possibly Cambridge because i have two big dogs.

I am really getting excited for school and to meet you all.

How did you like Dartmouth? I had an interview invite there, but declined. I just thought that it wouldn't be a good fit for me-- it's in the middle of nowhere, ivy league, limited clinical exposure. I'm pretty happy about my decision to go to Tufts; I honestly can't picture myself going anywhere else.

To all other accepted applicants: start posting, the lack of activity on this page is really getting embarassing!!