Official Tufts class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
sentrosi said:
You're from San Diego? How's your housing situation?

Finding housing has been hard since I'm not in town and haven't been in town.

Yeah, I'm from SD but I've been in Boston for about a month now. I got lucky and found a second year that was looking for roomates. I'm all moved in now and live in JP with Mr. Chris Russo.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a new phone and I went with Verizon. It is supposed to have the best coverage in the Boston area and I think most people use it as well. Free minutes when calling other verizon wireless people...the deal wasn't too bad. Chris what would you suggest?

BrodieDurden said:
I just got a new phone and I went with Verizon. It is supposed to have the best coverage in the Boston area and I think most people use it as well. Free minutes when calling other verizon wireless people...the deal wasn't too bad. Chris what would you suggest?

i've had verizon in boston for 3 years now, no problem. almost everyone uses verizon or cingular. my boyfriend used att before and verizon definitely had better coverage. now that att and cingular are one, the coverage is about the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
isobel said:
i've had verizon in boston for 3 years now, no problem. almost everyone uses verizon or cingular. my boyfriend used att before and verizon definitely had better coverage. now that att and cingular are one, the coverage is about the same.

hi isobel,
I started comparing Verizon and Cingular. The main difference is the technology they use. Cingular has a chip (GSM) while Verizon doesn't. The chip allows me to use the phone overseas, where I plan to be for some breaks.
The plans are pretty much the same (basic 40$ 450 anytime minutes..Free nights and weekends). However, Cingular rolls-over your unused minutes and has a modest 7% student discount on the monthly bill. Verizon has no perks I'm aware of.
If the coverage is the same, isn't this a no-brainer?

Is anyone else living in Posner next year? Any idea how much cable is per month?

So what are you guys doing with your last two weeks of freedom?

silas2642 said:
Is anyone else living in Posner next year? Any idea how much cable is per month?

So what are you guys doing with your last two weeks of freedom?

Is anyone up for another get together before orientation? Something like Sissy K's dollar drafts on Wed. nights or the new human body exhibit at the MOS?

bostonguy said:
Is anyone up for another get together before orientation? Something like Sissy K's dollar drafts on Wed. nights or the new human body exhibit at the MOS?

the exhibit sounds great. you might actually need a drink after that, so perhaps wed. evening makes sense.

usrael said:
hi isobel,
I started comparing Verizon and Cingular. The main difference is the technology they use. Cingular has a chip (GSM) while Verizon doesn't. The chip allows me to use the phone overseas, where I plan to be for some breaks.
The plans are pretty much the same (basic 40$ 450 anytime minutes..Free nights and weekends). However, Cingular rolls-over your unused minutes and has a modest 7% student discount on the monthly bill. Verizon has no perks I'm aware of.
If the coverage is the same, isn't this a no-brainer?

well, i don't recall particularly endorsing one. and i haven't been a student in years so i wouldn't know about any discount. and i never come anywhere near using my 450 minutes so rollover means nothing to me.

all i said was that in the past, verizon was the way to go for coverage and that now, they are about the same. in your case, it does seem to be a no brainer to go with cingular.

usrael said:
the exhibit sounds great. you might actually need a drink after that, so perhaps wed. evening makes sense.

So would this wed (9th) or the 16th be better for most people. I imagine wed night would be good since the MOS shouldn't be busy then and the faneuil hall area would also not be that far away then. Let me know if you're interested.

I have T-Mobile and don't have any problems either. Coverage might even be better than when I had Cingular/AT&T.

Cingular is the best for Boston, and you should be able to get yourself a good deal (letstalk.com is the best for that).

I had AT&T and they grandfathered me in to Cingular, but then I needed new phones and to do so would cost a new contracts without the great terms I had negotiated with AT&T. So, I have switched to T-Mobile for a year to get their free phones (one is a PDA-phone, so I figured, I'll just switch back after my year's contract is up and I'll have a PDA to use for school, etc.). Cingular seems to have better coverage

Also, about Body Worlds....last show is at 5:45 pm and I think it is pretty expensive. It's not part of the museum, sort of like a separate show at the museum, so you need tickets beforehand, too.

Maybe this is something we organize as an orientation activity, I don't know what the evenings are like, and TUSM might just subsidize a bit of the cost, too.

one more thing about verizon, every two years, they give you a $100 credit toward a new phone. cingular may have a similar deal but i have not checked.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Cingular although I last updated my phone over a year ago. Back then they "discounted" the phone depending on how long a contract you wanted to sign new, or renew if you already had their service. For example with no contract they might charge you 150-200 for a decent phone but w/ a 2-year contract/extension that same phone was under $50. A 1-year contract would make it cost somewhere in between.

Also, going to another subject--does anybody here have a couch or somewhere I could sleep for orientation and/or the first week of class? I have to take a September lease because there was next to nothing decent available for August. I'll help with the rent and utilities and even share with cleaning. Let me know if you're interested. Thank you.

Thanks guys. I went with Verizon at the end.

Hey Everyone,

I decided to live in Posner the first year because I was too lazy to search for affordable housing in Boston :)

We've heard great advice from emtji and others about what equipment to buy. Anyone have a comment about what textbooks we need? Epidemiology, immunology, mol bio, PBL, and nutrition have "recommended" books but nothing required. I'd rather buy my books early so I can get a better deal, but only if I need them.

Steve

ChubbyElephant said:
Hey Everyone,

I decided to live in Posner the first year because I was too lazy to search for affordable housing in Boston :)

We've heard great advice from emtji and others about what equipment to buy. Anyone have a comment about what textbooks we need? Epidemiology, immunology, mol bio, PBL, and nutrition have "recommended" books but nothing required. I'd rather buy my books early so I can get a better deal, but only if I need them.

Steve

yay! i'm appreciated! :)
as for textbooks, I'd hold off on buying any books too early. it's very individual, but i bought very few books through 1st and 2nd year. the syllabi tend to be great for most things...
you will need a netter's atlas (available free if you sign up for one of those student organizations and sign up for a credit card)
you'll need a moore's Anatomy. i bought a rosen's atlas. not terribly useful, but it looks nice on my shelf.
you may need a histology atlas- i had wheater's, but you could easily get by with what tufts has on the web. (actually, it's probably preferable to use tufts material)
for 2nd year, a good micro review book (made ridic simple), the recommended neuro book (nolte, human brain) and the hem/onc is probably worth your while.

your anatomy group will need a netter's to get stuff on in anatomy. either way, don't buy books now.

i'll probably be selling my used books at some point when y'all come. holla! :)

emtji said:
yay! i'm appreciated! :)
as for textbooks, I'd hold off on buying any books too early. it's very individual, but i bought very few books through 1st and 2nd year. the syllabi tend to be great for most things...
you will need a netter's atlas (available free if you sign up for one of those student organizations and sign up for a credit card)
you'll need a moore's Anatomy. i bought a rosen's atlas. not terribly useful, but it looks nice on my shelf.
you may need a histology atlas- i had wheater's, but you could easily get by with what tufts has on the web. (actually, it's probably preferable to use tufts material)
for 2nd year, a good micro review book (made ridic simple), the recommended neuro book (nolte, human brain) and the hem/onc is probably worth your while.

your anatomy group will need a netter's to get stuff on in anatomy. either way, don't buy books now.

i'll probably be selling my used books at some point when y'all come. holla! :)

How bad are the prices in the bookstore?

silas2642 said:
How bad are the prices in the bookstore?

pretty bad. better than most other brick and mortar bookstores, but your best bet is used books from other students (ample supply) or online. i ordered more of my books online, on the few occasions i bought books. the hours are my main issue with the bookstore- it closes at like 4 or 4:30 daily and isn't open on weekends. for clinical rotations, unless you're at nemc and can escape, this renders the bookstore unusable. VERY frustrating. I bought a book at the Harvard Med Coop a couple of years ago. the selection at either bookstore is excellent. tons of junk to blow a few bucks on. :)

So for those of you who are living in Posner next year... do you know if we need to buy our own pots, pans, irons, etc. ? I'm not sure if I should pick this stuff up while I'm at home and near a Wal-mart or wait until I get there.

hey, i sent in my health insurance enrollment forms a long time ago but i haven't heard anything back. did any of you get some sort of confirmation or cards or anything?

isobel said:
hey, i sent in my health insurance enrollment forms a long time ago but i haven't heard anything back. did any of you get some sort of confirmation or cards or anything?

I haven't heard anything yet.

Where do we show up on Monday? I couldn't find any document that told us what building we were supposed to go to.

tenaciousB said:
Where do we show up on Monday? I couldn't find any document that told us what building we were supposed to go to.

they're starting it all off at 830-9am in the sackler building at 145 harrison ave. the schedule says they'll hand out packets in the lobby with some breakfast refreshments.

Anyone here still need housing? I found an apartment in Somerville. One of the guys is moving out, so there's a room open.

sentrosi said:
Anyone here still need housing? I found an apartment in Somerville. One of the guys is moving out, so there's a room open.

I'm still looking for a roommate too actually. My place is in Bay Village, really close to school, and it's a pretty nice apartment. PM me for details.

Two quick questions. There's no dress code for orientation, is there? And does anyone know when the first interviewing and doctor/patient relationship class is, since we need to dress professionally for that? Thanks.

sentrosi said:
Yeah. I was wondering about if Orientation had a dress code or not too.

Interviewing is the one where we need to dress professionally for the first class right?
Thats on Thurs of the first week of classes:
http://tusk.tufts.edu/hsdb45/schedule/Medical/816/2006-08-27

there's no dress code for orientation. a bunch of ppl did get dressed up on the first day last year but there is no need to. it's a really very casual week. and yup, you do need to dress professionally for interviewing, which is thursday afternoons.

sentrosi said:
Yeah. I was wondering about if Orientation had a dress code or not too.

Interviewing is the one where we need to dress professionally for the first class right?
Thats on Thurs of the first week of classes:
http://tusk.tufts.edu/hsdb45/schedule/Medical/816/2006-08-27

No dress code for Orientation.

Here are the Objectives of the Interviewing class:
Students will develop the skills necessary to elicit and communicate the patient\'s chief complaint, history of present illness, patient\'s life story and experience of their illness.

Students will demonstrate successful strategies for inquiring about and dealing with the very private and emotionally charged issues in peoples lives that affect their health.

Students will begin to appreciate the importance of the emotional aspects of the patient\'s life, their experience of being sick and of the doctor-patient relationship in providing care to patients.

chris.russo said:
No dress code for Orientation.

Also, I think you have the wrong idea about what "Interviewing" is. It is a lecture/conference class. Maybe there is the opportunity to go into the clinic, not sure, but that's not the point of the class. It's to prepare us for when we do:

Students will develop the skills necessary to elicit and communicate the patient\'s chief complaint, history of present illness, patient\'s life story and experience of their illness.

Students will demonstrate successful strategies for inquiring about and dealing with the very private and emotionally charged issues in peoples lives that affect their health.

Students will begin to appreciate the importance of the emotional aspects of the patient\'s life, their experience of being sick and of the doctor-patient relationship in providing care to patients.
Err...you're talking to markss22411 right? Cause I didn't mention an idea of what the class is. Anyway, your idea of the class is also pretty much my idea of the class too.

Well. I guess I'll see you guys soon.

sentrosi said:
Err...you're talking to markss22411 right? Cause I didn't mention an idea of what the class is. Anyway, your idea of the class is also pretty much my idea of the class too.

Well. I guess I'll see you guys soon.

Don't know who markss is. Someone posted above about the dress code, and I just posted the objectives from the class on the TUSK website.

Yes, soon!

Looking forward to meeting everybody tomorrow --- even if the orientation schedule does look a bit uninspired!

nowayisthisname said:
Looking forward to meeting everybody tomorrow --- even if the orientation schedule does look a bit uninspired!

hey, im a second year and just to respond to the interviewing course objectives - its an hour lecture every thursday and then following that, everyone goes into the hospital to interview patients for the rest of the afternoon. that's why you need to dress professionally.