*** Official TUCOM-NV Class of 2009***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I'm starting to look at housing for this August (getting kinda late, I know), and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom or studio, and was just wondering where "most" students live, or if there is any housing in the area that is geared towards students. I know UNLV is not too far away, so there must be some student apartments somewhere. But, thanks in advance for the help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

tazzysoze said:
Hi guys, I'm starting to look at housing for this August (getting kinda late, I know), and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom or studio, and was just wondering where "most" students live, or if there is any housing in the area that is geared towards students. I know UNLV is not too far away, so there must be some student apartments somewhere. But, thanks in advance for the help! :)

If you haven't already, join the Google group! There's tons of info on there already about housing, and it will be easier for us to help you without the anonymity of the forums. :D

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Vegas-Med

...................... so quiet........... so very, very quiet. It gives me time to think about next month and all of the challenges we will be facing at school. …crap

Members don't see this ad :)
Kubed said:
...................... so quiet........... so very, very quiet. It gives me time to think about next month and all of the challenges we will be facing at school. …crap
The calm before the storm.

happy july 4th all :D

see you in about a month :cool:

I just applied to TUCOM-NV...if you guys dont' mind...would all those accepted please share their stats??

It may give me confidence or just shatter it...haha...thanks all.

mizzoudude said:
I just applied to TUCOM-NV...if you guys dont' mind...would all those accepted please share their stats??

It may give me confidence or just shatter it...haha...thanks all.
Hey mizzoudude!!! Happy 4th of July! I graduated from UMSL and have lived in St. Louis for about 18 years. It would definitely be cool to have someone else who has lived in MO before that goes to TUNCOM. I'll be sure to pm you my stats. Feel free to pm me back with any questions you may have. Good luck! :luck:

Hi mizzoudude, SDN has a great stats page that should give you an insight as to accepted students. As an unwritten rule, once you get in... you never talk about your (premed) stats again.

If you research the forums regarding how people are getting into med school, then you will see that your stats are only a small piece of the application. You are not alone in second guessing your chances at getting into med school. If you have made it to the point of applying, then you are already on the right track. Now you can only be yourself and put your best foot forward.

-Good Luck and hope to see you next year!

Well, I suppose I am also busted... not very many TUNCOM 2009 students on the list. :idea:

What I was trying to say was that it is never good to brag, but it also doesn't help when everyone thinks you are an idiot. :laugh:

I was talking to the admissions director at TUCOM-NV today and we were discussing how competitive my application is, etc.

However, he also mentioned that tuition + room and board roughly equaled to a financial aid package of 54K????

So all you graduates are going to have 200K + loans?? How do you plan to pay that off?? I am just curious. Thank you.

mizzoudude said:
However, he also mentioned that tuition + room and board roughly equaled to a financial aid package of 54K????

So all you graduates are going to have 200K + loans?? How do you plan to pay that off?? I am just curious. Thank you.

I’m just guessing here, but have you not looked at many private medical schools? Our tuition of $32,000 a year is a lot but is not as high as it goes. For some real sticker shock, look at the cost of attending a state school as a non-resident. Someone correct me, but I believe Colorado is sitting on top at $60K a year for tuition. Sometimes you can get reclassified for your second year, but often you get sucked into 2+ years of paying as an out of state student.

As for paying it back … ha! I sold my soul to get into med school. They can try and hunt me down.

Members don't see this ad :)
(posted this message at the google site, but thought I'd post it here too, im not sure which one gets used more)

hey everyone,

Was offered an acceptance last week from the waitlist and just
yesterday I called Roger and told him I am planning on coming to Touro
University! So, right now I'm trying to get all the paperwork in and
think about getting a place to stay etc.. etc..

Is there anyone who needs a roommate or is anyone else looking for a
place to stay too? I'd like to stay with other DO students if possible
and preferably in the 2009 class.

I'm pretty easy going and have a wide variety of interests including
(in no particular order), volleyball, yoga/meditation, politics, chess,
camping/hiking, neurofeedback, body surfing, and playing as hard as I
work. :)

Anyway, I looked through the forum and am REALLY looking forward to
meeting everyone. Looks like we have an OUTSTANDING class!!!! Don't
hesitate to give me a call or email, especially regarding the housing
situation:
[email protected]

Travis Snyder (add 'der' on the end to get my email) :)

PS oh and I'm 25 yr old single and currently in Chapel Hill NC.

mizzoudude said:
I was talking to the admissions director at TUCOM-NV today and we were discussing how competitive my application is, etc.

Yes, mizzoudude... we know how much our loans are. Its going to be close to 300K with interest when we are done. How are we going to pay it off? Not to worry, doctors make enough to pay it off within 5-10 years. If you don't like the cost, you could join the military and get them to pay for it. Then you will work for Uncle Sam for 5-10 years.

Or you could rob a bank, but then you could go to prison for 10-20. :laugh:

DrB said:
Yes, mizzoudude... we know how much our loans are. Its going to be close to 300K with interest when we are done. How are we going to pay it off? Not to worry, doctors make enough to pay it off within 5-10 years. If you don't like the cost, you could join the military and get them to pay for it. Then you will work for Uncle Sam for 5-10 years.

Or you could rob a bank, but then you could go to prison for 10-20. :laugh:
You guys are in Vegas... put your tuition on red and let it roll. ;)

cardiotonic said:
Thanks for posting this Med1. I will be a new resident on the 15th!

yea, I sent that link to my parents along with this one
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2004/Aug-16-Mon-2004/news/24529568.html

Pretty sweet. I didn't realize Henderson was the fastest growing US city for 8 years!

OnMyWayThere, well, if you put it on Red TWICE you would have your entire 4 years paid for the cost of 1 year. 'Course, only .25 chance of this working out. Too risky. I think I'll stay away from anything but nickel slots and dollar blackjack. :D or maybe stay away from all it altogether and just focus on school. A novel idea eh?
:laugh:

hey, to everyone who hasn't moved out yet...when are you planning on moving?

me: august 1st, im making the drive :D

1hotaartichoke said:
hey, to everyone who hasn't moved out yet...when are you planning on moving?

me: august 1st, im making the drive :D

Aug 1st, that's far too late. You should come join the cool kids now for some cervezas.

Hello TUNCOM Class of 2009!

This is just an FYI since the booklist has been distributed. Touro's online bookstore and SOMA bookstore use the same distributor - Matthew's Bookstore. Tourobooks through Matthews offers a 5% discount on books whereas SOMA bookstore through Matthews offers anywhere from an 8% - 15% discount on the same titles.

The website for SOMA (for those who are unfamiliar: Student Osteopathic Medical Association) is www.studentdo.com. The SOMA Bookstore link is toward the bottom of the red menu on the left. Check it out! Have a great summer!

Oh, for those of you who are interested in joining SOMA before school starts, you can go onto the website under membership and print out the application and send it to Touro University Nevada - SOMA.

Kubed said:
Aug 1st, that's far too late. You should come join the cool kids now for some cervezas.
too late?! i wanna stick around here as long as i can...who knows when i will get a chance to do the crap im doing again (my next trip to rosarito with the girls won't be until next summer :( )

plus, im going to boston august 27 to the 31st...and then august 1st...i make the drive out. don't worry, i'll catch up with you cool kids then ;)

cardiotonic said:
Thanks for posting this Med1. I will be a new resident on the 15th!

No problem! I am glad you will be here tomorrow! Hopefully, when you unpack, you will stay cool. It is really hot here. Drink lots of water!

Going to the mountain

There’s talk of going to Mt Charleston tomorrow, anyone interested?

Did you go up to Mt Charleston yet?
I might go up there soon. Right now I am just trying to relax and read.
I am still waiting for some of my textbooks to come.

I went up today with my girlfriend and it was nice. It was about 88 and partly cloudy. Hiking plus a BBQ, you can’t go wrong. When ever you guys want to go I’ll come with.

hi fellows,
I will like to introduce myself as well. I was waiting to get off the waitlist at some school in chicago, but it didn't pan out. So, I will definitely be joining you guys in a few weeks. I will appreciate some input on the apartments. I will be looking for a one bedroom apartment, but i have a big dog so please let me know which apartment allows big pets. Also i read the message by dean of TUCOM-Nevada and i look forward to using the gym and playing basketball. Give me a holler.
God bless. :thumbup:
kid.

Hey everyone just wanted to say hi! I just got off the phone with roger and I will be seeing you all in a couple weeks. I also applied to the google group and hope I can get on soon, I really need to find a place! :eek:

See you all soon!

hey nocturn!
congrats on your acceptance! Let me know how the apartment situation is truning out. What's up with this google address that everyone is talking about?
Best wishes,
kid.

kidgorgeous said:
hey nocturn!
congrats on your acceptance! Let me know how the apartment situation is truning out. What's up with this google address that everyone is talking about?
Best wishes,
kid.

I found the link to it on either page 7 or 10 of this thread. I still haven't been accepted into it yet though :(

The apartment situation is turning out to be more of a challenge than I thought. Its hard to try to pick one out when you are in boston lol

Hey Nocturn and kidgorgeous, welcome. I’m not sure who is leading the google group but I’ll post something about your pending memberships. I’m at the allegro apartments, which is 1.5 miles from school and does allow dogs, but they have weight and breed restrictions. I’ll find out what they are and send them to you.

Again, congratulations and welcome to Touro 2009!!!

Congratulations Nocturn and kidgorgeous! My roommate setup our google group. I'll be sure to let him know about the pending memberships. On a side note, I just wanted to encourage you guys to make some quick decisions. I'm not sure exactly what you have or have not done, but I am guessing you still have to (1) apply for financial aid (2) find an apartment/ roommate (3) furnish your apt. (4) order textbooks (5) switch health insurance (6) buy a laptop....etc :eek: :eek: :eek: The google group should help out tremendously with all this, but if you have any questions feel free to pm me. Orientation starts Aug. 8th. See you then!

cardiotonic said:
Congratulations Nocturn and kidgorgeous! My roommate setup our google group. I'll be sure to let him know about the pending memberships. On a side note, I just wanted to encourage you guys to make some quick decisions. I'm not sure exactly what you have or have not done, but I am guessing you still have to (1) apply for financial aid (2) find an apartment/ roommate (3) furnish your apt. (4) order textbooks (5) switch health insurance (6) buy a laptop....etc :eek: :eek: :eek: The google group should help out tremendously with all this, but if you have any questions feel free to pm me. Orientation starts Aug. 8th. See you then!

I finally got into the google site this morning, so thank you :)

Everything is going good so far, not much time left to pull it all together. Found out today I am going to have to buy furniture there, moving it from home would cast me 3x what I paid for it :scared:

Does anyone know any good discount furniture places in or around henderson? Any help with that would be greatly appreciated :D

Nocturn said:
Does anyone know any good discount furniture places in or around henderson? Any help with that would be greatly appreciated :D

6000 people/month move to Clark County, so it is very conducive to moving. There are a ton of furniture and mattress stores within 5-10 minutes of school, so you should have no problem finding what you want. There are a lot of useful stores off of Stephanie and off of Sunset.

................. so close

Hi all!

I was accepted last Wednesday. I was elated! :D I flew down with my wife this past weekend from Seattle to find a place to live. I decided on the Villa Serena complex. Is anyone staying here too? I wanted the Remington Canyon place because it's the closest but they only allows one dog. Villa Serena is about a mile away, which is no a problem to walk in Seattle weather but in Henderson, that might be a problem. Is it walkable??

Oh, hey Travis, I think we were in the same interview group back in mid March. You had to leave a little early to catch your flight right?

Long

allmightylong said:
Hi all!

I was accepted last Wednesday. I was elated! :D I flew down with my wife this past weekend from Seattle to find a place to live. I decided on the Villa Serena complex. Is anyone staying here too? I wanted the Remington Canyon place because it's the closest but they only allows one dog. Villa Serena is about a mile away, which is no a problem to walk in Seattle weather but in Henderson, that might be a problem. Is it walkable??

Oh, hey Travis, I think we were in the same interview group back in mid March. You had to leave a little early to catch your flight right?

Long

Congrats! Join the google group if you haven't already. :D

allmightylong said:
Hi all!

Long

Congrats! Villa Serena is the next closest complex. I probably wouldn't start walking to school from there until the fall...late late September and on. Its doable but give yourselfsome extra time. There are quite a few MS IIs living there as well. If you need books remember SOMA bookstore...there's a posting on here and on the google group as well.

Thanks for the welcome Box and Doc! I think I'll drive the first 2 months or so. I'm awaiting my permission for acceptance into the google group. Oh how I wish for a 48hr day. So much to do. :eek:

Hey guys, show our thread some love before school starts

Hello to all the new unlisted folks! Can't wait to meet you, hope you will join our google site in time to find out about the events this week.

Congrats! :D

-

Last edited:
LADoc84 said:
Hi everyone,

Some of you might recognize me on SDN from my previous s/n "LVDoc." Anyhow, I'm writing this to let you all know that I withdrew from Touro University on Monday - you should have a new classmate, off the waitlist, sometime soon. I was literally days away from going there, and I'm sure DrB knows this, because we've talked, but the decision not to attend was based purely on having a structure of social support nearby (my family and long-time home). You all seem like a wonderful class and I'm sure you'll have a great time at Touro. If anyone wants to ask me any questions, feel free to PM me. I have nothing but good things to say about both schools :). Good luck on August 8th. We started today, so I'm just getting into the groove of orientation. Trying to relive my last few days before it all breaks loose. Take care everyone. Have fun while you still can!

-LADoc84
No worries LADoc84. I hope everything goes well for you. Hey, ask your roommate (OMWT) for a Thursday reminder....he'll know what I mean ;) :D Oh yah, and just to let you guys know what you are missing out on...a group of about 20 of us went to Lake Mead today and did some wakeboarding. :p :cool:......Aug. 8th is going to hit me like a ton of bricks.

-

Last edited:
cardiotonic said:
No worries LADoc84. I hope everything goes well for you. Hey, ask your roommate (OMWT) for a Thursday reminder....he'll know what I mean ;) :D Oh yah, and just to let you guys know what you are missing out on...a group of about 20 of us went to Lake Mead today and did some wakeboarding. :p :cool:......Aug. 8th is going to hit me like a ton of bricks.
I had a feeling LADoc84 was my roommate... I just emailed him asking him if he's LADoc84 when I first saw his message. Wow, you gotta love the anonymity of SDN! I'll send him the Thursday reminder tomorrow! Hey, we're missing out on wake boarding but it's really great down here. We ended up having some really cool classmates who we had drinks with after orientation and living in a beautiful resort type place. It ain't vegas for sure but I'm not sure how long I'd last in Vegas. It's like putting food in a dog's mouth and telling it to spit out the food. :laugh: Enjoy it while it lasts though - I hear it gets tough there too and the "party in vegas" becomes "too busy to eat a decent meal". Just ask ez020983 (not sure what the actual #'s are after ez). He posted some pics of sleepless studying nights on SDN a whlie back. Enjoy it now. We'll always say good things about your school to others...

bump bump bump

Ya, and it’s sooooooooooooooooooooo interesting.

So I'm not the only one not paying attention right now.