Official Similar mechanisms/presentation thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transposony

Do or do not, There is no try
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are many question where they give you the presentation followed by the diagnosis and then ask "Which of the following has similar mechanism" as the given condition.
I am starting this thread in the hope that we can bunch together these "similar mechanism" conditions to help us on the test.
I'll start:

Patient is having mucosal bleeding following percutaneous coronary intervention. Abciximab was give during this procedure. Which of the AR disorder has similar mechanism which led to bleeding in this patient?

Members don't see this ad.

6 conditions cause increased bledding time
I'm so tempted in being a grammar Nazi but I won't.

Anyway here's an analogous question:

A 75 yr old man comes to the clinic with epigastric pain that starts 30-40 mins after meals and does not respond to antacids. Th pain is non-radiating and is graded 6/10 in intensity. The patient has lost more than 4.5 kg (10 lb) over the last few months. He has no vomiting, diarrhea, or urinary symptoms. His past medical history is significant for hypertension, hyperlipidemia, coronary artery bypass grafting, and his right-sided carotid endarterectomy. He has smoked a pack of cigarettes daily for 32 years. Upper GI endoscopy shows no abnormalities. The pathophysiology of this patient's condition is most likely analogous to which of the following disease processes?

A. Aortic Dissection
B. Peptic Ulcer Disease
C. Stable Angina
D. Esophageal Spasm
E. Pulmonary Embolism

I'm so tempted in being a grammar Nazi but I won't.

Anyway here's an analogous question:

A 75 yr old man comes to the clinic with epigastric pain that starts 30-40 mins after meals and does not respond to antacids. Th pain is non-radiating and is graded 6/10 in intensity. The patient has lost more than 4.5 kg (10 lb) over the last few months. He has no vomiting, diarrhea, or urinary symptoms. His past medical history is significant for hypertension, hyperlipidemia, coronary artery bypass grafting, and his right-sided carotid endarterectomy. He has smoked a pack of cigarettes daily for 32 years. Upper GI endoscopy shows no abnormalities. The pathophysiology of this patient's condition is most likely analogous to which of the following disease processes?

A. Aortic Dissection
B. Peptic Ulcer Disease
C. Stable Angina
D. Esophageal Spasm
E. Pulmonary Embolism

C. Stable angina.
The vignette makes it abundantly clear that the patient has a lot of risk factors/diseases associated with atheroscerosis. Therefore you have to assume that the celiac/mesenteric (esp. SMA) arteries also are involved --> decreased intenstinal perfusion normally asymptomatic, symptomatic when O2 demand inreases (i.e. food intake) --> Chronic mesenteric ischemia ("intestinal angina").

If the patient was younger/without the aforementioned risk factors - the vignette then would describe Peptic ulcer disease, more specifically Gastric ulcer (weight loss, epigastric pain shortly after meals).

C. Stable angina.
The vignette makes it abundantly clear that the patient has a lot of risk factors/diseases associated with atheroscerosis. Therefore you have to assume that the celiac/mesenteric (esp. SMA) arteries also are involved --> decreased intenstinal perfusion normally asymptomatic, symptomatic when O2 demand inreases (i.e. food intake) --> Chronic mesenteric ischemia ("intestinal angina").

If the patient was younger/without the aforementioned risk factors - the vignette then would describe Peptic ulcer disease, more specifically Gastric ulcer (weight loss, epigastric pain shortly after meals).

Yup that's correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
18 HCCs in noncirrhotic livers in 7 years makes me think it's pretty uncommon. Regardless, I think the point of the question is indirectly testing that you know Hep B integrates into the genome and can cause HCC via disrupting tumor suppressors in the absence of immune mediated damage to hepatocytes.

I think it also upregulates IGF1 and IGF2 to promote growth.

Members don't see this ad :)
History of Antibiotic use associated with C diff infection and which vasculitis?

PAN too?
One of the World explanations says Microscopic Polyangitis is associated with Antibiotic use
That's for Penicillins according to Robbins but could be any antibiotic.
But since you asked in reference to C diff , I was thinking more in terms of a wide spectrum antibiotic like a tetracycline.

Reactions: 1 user
arsenic poisoning and Corynebacterium diphtheriae cause guillain barre like syndrome
Although FA doesn't mention it but CMV infection is the second most common cause of GBS (most common viral cause of GBS).
Now it has been reported that Zika virus can cause GBS.
Other significant, infectious agents in GBS patients include EBV, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, and varicella-zoster virus and acute HIV infection.

Reactions: 1 user
Although FA doesn't mention it but CMV infection is the second most common cause of GBS (most common viral cause of GBS).
Now it has been reported that Zika virus can cause GBS.
Other significant, infectious agents in GBS patients include EBV, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, and varicella-zoster virus and acute HIV infection.

Also Campylobacter Jejuni causes GBS.

No need for snark, just contributing. Not undermining anyone, so try and be a little more respectful. Thanks.
I wasn't being "snarky". Was just pointing out the obvious.
You are most welcome to contribute but try to read the context of a post before commenting.
You clearly lack reading comprehension which will be devastating on the test.
Just trying to help so please don't take it the wrong way.

I wasn't being "snarky". Was just pointing out the obvious.
You are most welcome to contribute but try to read the context of a post before commenting.
You clearly lack reading comprehension which will be devastating on the test.
Just trying to help so please don't take it the wrong way.

CLEARLY. There is nothing "helpful" about the comment directed at me. Grow up if you'd like to talk with the grown ups. FFS.

Here's one I thought of (and cross-referenced just to be certain of accuracy);

Male child w/ recurrent skin infections and chronic wounds/poor wound healing, repeated URI (bacterial as well); delayed cord separation, neutrophilia observed on labs. The protein product associated with this patients primary immunodeficiency normally interacts with a receptor for what infectious agent?

LAD-I and CMV is my guess. The diagnosis is straightforward, and FA does list integrins being the receptor for CMV.

LAD-I and CMV is my guess. The diagnosis is straightforward, and FA does list integrins being the receptor for CMV.

Male child w/ recurrent skin infections and chronic wounds/poor wound healing, repeated URI (bacterial as well); delayed cord separation, neutrophilia observed on labs. The protein product associated with this patients primary immunodeficiency normally interacts with a receptor for what infectious agent?

Take another stab at it, you're very close.

LAD Type 1 is a deficiency in Mac1 (CD18); leukocyte surface Mac1 binds to ICAM-1 on the endothelial cell surface during leukocyte tight adhesion. ICAM-1 is the receptor for Rhinovirus.