*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
gobiggreen said:
Just curious, is anyone interested in a NYCOM 2010 fantasy football league?

I'd be willing to organize it and we can set up an online draft for one weekend day or weekday night during orientation.

We'd need either 8,10, or 12 teams and I'd like to keep it free since we're all up to our necks in debt already.

FoxSports runs a pretty good fantasy system and it's free for everyone to sign up. Is anyone interested? Message me with your e-mail addresses and I can try to set it up.

I'm down!! I'll send you a PM

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what classes are in the first section (Fundamentals)? In the book list it looks like anatomy is part of this first course. Why did I think that anatomy was 2nd, 3rd, 4th semesters at nycom?

Thanks!

hey everyone, Ronald Portanova emailed me to say that I was accepted to the DPC and he sent a letter but I never got it! I'm definitely joining, but I'm wondering if anyone minds sending me the info in the packet? I really want to look it over before o-week starts, so email me anytime at [email protected] if you don't mind scanning the pages for me. THANKS!!!!!!

cheers,
Sangeetha

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw some first yr NYCOM guys in the bookstore today (Friday) around 12 and gave some advice. Were any of those SDN members?

yanky5 said:
I saw some first yr NYCOM guys in the bookstore today (Friday) around 12 and gave some advice. Were any of those SDN members?

No idea yanky. I got an Id without an ID holder. Are IDs supposed to be displayed at all times on campus?

Oh man classes start on tuesday. Schedule is up. :barf:

I want to send a shout out to my A1 lab peeps! :cool:

HunterGatherer said:
No idea yanky. I got an Id without an ID holder. Are IDs supposed to be displayed at all times on campus?

Oh man classes start on tuesday. Schedule is up. :barf:

I want to send a shout out to my A1 lab peeps! :cool:

did i have to get over there before monday? i just pulled into town from my road trip move, and it ain't gonna happen...

i take is there will be time for ID's, parking permits, etc., then? and that the schedule and stuff will be available hard copy monday (my furniture, including printer, doesn't get here til mid-week)? ugh. i'm so not ready for this. so NOT in the mood. but south dakota was gorgeous.

see you all monday...

noonday said:
did i have to get over there before monday? i just pulled into town from my road trip move, and it ain't gonna happen...

i take is there will be time for ID's, parking permits, etc., then? and that the schedule and stuff will be available hard copy monday (my furniture, including printer, doesn't get here til mid-week)? ugh. i'm so not ready for this. so NOT in the mood. but south dakota was gorgeous.

see you all monday...

today they had IDs and parking permits to save time on Monday. No need to be there today. Class list shows 300 people so plan for long lines like was posted earlier.

Welcome to NY.

HunterGatherer said:
today they had IDs and parking permits to save time on Monday. No need to be there today. Class list shows 300 people so plan for long lines like was posted earlier.

Welcome to NY.

thanks, and thank you. NY and i seemed to be in that sizing each other up askew glancing with hackles up. i'm sure it will pass. off to see snakes on a plane!

So DPCers are with everyone else for the first 5 weeks? What about that "grand rounds" thing we have on the 22nd? when will that be? :confused:

ID's and parking permits was moved from the security building to the Riland building basement (NYCOM 1) today. Odds are with the large class size it will still be in that building considering it’s a class size of ~300 which will create a very large line all the way outside the security building.

I only saw around 5 or so first year students today around 2pm when I got my ID so it took no time at all to get.

HunterGatherer said:
Any indication of the DPC schedule? I did not want to apply because I have no idea what the schedule is like. Thanks.

Similar number of hours to lecture based, (a few more during fundamentals) but slightly fewer tests overall, and more changes on short notice. I heard that they had 100 something canidates though and had all the slots filled
already.

As far as ID's, security sends a memo every 6 months about theft and suddenly all the administrators act like they really expect you to wear your ID's but it always wears off after a couple days. The only person I have ever seen wearing the ID regularly is Dr Teitelbaum, who sets a good example in all things. Tests in lecture based are the only place you will ever really need them, though sometimes they are helpful for getting in less used entrances.

-D

hey guys. enjoy the last weekend before school starts :) if there are any other DPCers that have a clue as to whats goin on out there (schedule, lab groups, etc etc), let me know. they caught me with my pants down...pants have been down all summer actually...

see everybody soon!

HunterGatherer said:
Officially they are, but no one ever wears there ID in NYCOM and no one checks it. The only time they look at your ID is on an exam day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Jeger, assitant dean of clinical education admitted some terrifying numbers at the end of our "careers in medicine" lecture this week (on 8-16-06 around minute 50:00) --> for the class of 2007 (who are now 3d years),

70-90 students FAILED the step 1 boards (COMLEX) on their first try. This is 30% of the class! :eek:

An additional 30-40 STILL FAILED COMLEX on subsuquent trials. :eek:

It is rumored that 5-10 of these never managed to pass COMLEX and were held back in second year. :scared:

You need to start taking responsibility for your board prep from the start.

endAIDScom said:
Dr Jeger, assitant dean of clinical education admitted some terrifying numbers at the end of our "careers in medicine" lecture this week (on 8-16-06 around minute 50:00) --> for the class of 2007 (who are now 3d years),

70-90 students FAILED the step 1 boards (COMLEX) on their first try. This is 30% of the class! :eek:

An additional 30-40 STILL FAILED COMLEX on subsuquent trials. :eek:

It is rumored that 5-10 of these never managed to pass COMLEX and were held back in second year. :scared:

You need to start taking responsibility for your board prep now, because though there have been substantial improvments to the curricula between their class and yours, you apparently can't count on our school to do so. :mad:

Are you telling me you JUST found that out? Most of us have known that since the beginning-middle of last year. What kind of bubble are they keeping you in?

:laugh:

Seriously, there's no need to scare the incoming class.

Hey everyone,
I know there's no dress code at NYCOM, but what do students generally wear everyday? Is it like semi-formal (dress shirts?) or very casual (jeans/shorts/t-shirt).. somewhere in between maybe? Also, what about tomorrow for orientation. What are you guys wearing?

knicks0819 said:
Hey everyone,
I know there's no dress code at NYCOM, but what do students generally wear everyday? Is it like semi-formal (dress shirts?) or very casual (jeans/shorts/t-shirt).. somewhere in between maybe? Also, what about tomorrow for orientation. What are you guys wearing?

It don't matter. Just don't outdress me.

I'm planning on wearing jeans and a polo shirt tomorrow for orientation. I think we will be moving around all day and should wear something reasonably comfortable.

knicks0819 said:
what about tomorrow for orientation. What are you guys wearing?

shorts and a tee-shirt most likely, i'll see what i feel like when i wake up.

good luck and see everyone tomorrow!

If I remember correctly I believe today is orientation for you 1st years. Good luck and hopefully see you all when I apply in the near future.

http://meet.nyit.edu/

I created my email account and can access that but how do we get into the NYCOM webboard? When I go there it says it is closed to new students. sorry if this was addressed in orientation today but I thought there was a webboard where students from all classes could post. Thanks!

HunterGatherer said:
http://meet.nyit.edu/

I created my email account and can access that but how do we get into the NYCOM webboard? When I go there it says it is closed to new students. sorry if this was addressed in orientation today but I thought there was a webboard where students from all classes could post. Thanks!
I got the impression that it is still closed to everyone for maintenance. Everything else works just fine.

Yeah, everything works except for the message board.
Just got my email up and running.

so i'm trying to watch the videos from today's lecture except none of the links are working...

is this happening for anyone else?

I'm currently streaming lectures from the class of 2009 Fundamentals page. audio got choppy a few times but it is fine now.

ComicBookHero20 said:
so i'm trying to watch the videos from today's lecture except none of the links are working...

is this happening for anyone else?

HunterGatherer said:
I'm currently streaming lectures from the class of 2009 Fundamentals page. audio got choppy a few times but it is fine now.

how do you get to that page?

Don't forget to stop by the SOMA TABLE TOMMORROW during the CLUB FAIR

SOMA's membership is $60 for 4 YEARS. Membership includes a FREE Netter's Atlas (The bookstore sells it for $75).

LOTS OF FREE GOODIES!!! :D

Membership also includes: Membership packet & Discounts to local vendors like Maggie Moos, Starbucks, Abeetza Pizza .. and lots more! ;)

Any other questions, feel free to ask .. see you all tomm!

hey guys,

i'm selling a pharm book: basic & clinical pharmacology, 9th edition by katzung (basically new) - $40 (selling for $52 on amazon)

pm me if you're interested~

best of luck this year to all of you! :)

-rachel

Options--->Appearance
sort messages=Oldest Last
Show XXX messages per page

Took me a few days to realize that my default settings needed to be changed after not seeing any new emails for a few days.

Default is to copy sent emails. we only have a laughable 20MB of space.

anyone know anything about Mollie?

anyone know anything about Mollie?

Yea, it's 100% off-limits to first-years.

Any first-years caught entering it, peeking into it, or loitering its entrance will be thrown in the nycom dungeon for 3 days without food or water.

hey guys, i'm sure everyone is busy with classes, but just a quick ?

i'm a grad student at NYIT (nycom 2007 hopeful!) and got an invitation for convocation 2006 presented by the health sciences at NYIT and NYCOM. figured you guys might know exactly what's going that day?

apparently i HAVE to go, so maybe i'll see some of you there ;) i thought it might be your white coat ceremony, but wasnt sure.

sasha

hey guys, i'm sure everyone is busy with classes, but just a quick ?

i'm a grad student at NYIT (nycom 2007 hopeful!) and got an invitation for convocation 2006 presented by the health sciences at NYIT and NYCOM. figured you guys might know exactly what's going that day?

apparently i HAVE to go, so maybe i'll see some of you there ;) i thought it might be your white coat ceremony, but wasnt sure.

sasha

Sorry can't help you out -- unfortunately they tell us nothing -- or they tell us things very s l o w l y -- yup that includes even stuff about our own classes/needs !

Our real white coat ceremony is at the end of our second year, so that will be in 2008. The Convocation on Sept 13th is kinda like our installation ceremony or something..... where we have to wear our borrowed white coats and bring our families..... Of course this big event is scheduled for a Wednesday, at 5pm. Makes perfect sense, I mean who isn't free during work hours on a weekday? :idea:

Anyway i am not sure why you are required to go but maybe we'll see you there!! Sorry we can't be of more help :)

Does anyone know if NYCOM/NYIT has any sort of MMA club at all? (meaning like boxing/wrestling/kickboxing/submission grappling,etc.) If not, I'm looking into starting one up. I talked to someone in the NYIT gym today over there about doing some wrestling in the basketball gym there, but he said their insurance doesn't cover it and they don't have any mats. Now after I left, I'm wondering if we could just do it outside. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on what sports we can play outside on the fields or lawns? Are students allowed to organize and play whatever sports they want there with their friends? Or are all those lawns and fields only for official use? Otherwise, I guess we could always do it in a local park :)

An MMA club sounds awesome. I've been doing Muay Thai Kickboxing for a long time now. But I would really like to learn BBJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu).

Hands down the best way to stay in shape. Haven't trained in a while though due to work & school :oops:

An MMA club sounds awesome. I've been doing Muay Thai Kickboxing for a long time now. But I would really like to learn BBJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu).

Hands down the best way to stay in shape. Haven't trained in a while though due to work & school :oops:
I'm trying to figure out starting one now. We may train outdoors or we may resort to training in my garage or basement on mats, LOL. No way am I paying Derek Panza $199/month to train, when I'll prolly only have time to train once or twice per week. It's funny he is so expensive, when a regular gym nearby is so cheap ($10/month for NYCOM students). Details will ensue; stay tuned...

I have trained in Muay-thai and no-gi grappling, so I'm definitely down for sparring/rolling with ya. I'm not spectacular or anything, but I'll roll with ya and teach ya what I know if you wanna get some basic grappling. If you trained Muay-thai for a long time, I'd be happy to get pointers from you as well :cool:

I'm trying to figure out starting one now. We may train outdoors or we may resort to training in my garage or basement on mats, LOL. No way am I paying Derek Panza $199/month to train, when I'll prolly only have time to train once or twice per week. It's funny he is so expensive, when a regular gym nearby is so cheap ($10/month for NYCOM students). Details will ensue; stay tuned...

I have trained in Muay-thai and no-gi grappling, so I'm definitely down for sparring/rolling with ya. I'm not spectacular or anything, but I'll roll with ya and teach ya what I know if you wanna get some basic grappling. If you trained Muay-thai for a long time, I'd be happy to get pointers from you as well :cool:

I'd def be interested in something like this

I'd def be interested in something like this
Wow, I'm surprised I'm finding people interested so easily. Are you guys interested in training hardcore, like trying to get a group discount to Panza or do you wanna just roll and spar? I guess when I get in contact with all the people interested, we'll figure out what we're gonna do.

Wow, I'm surprised I'm finding people interested so easily. Are you guys interested in training hardcore, like trying to get a group discount to Panza or do you wanna just roll and spar? I guess when I get in contact with all the people interested, we'll figure out what we're gonna do.

well i'm interested but i have no experience, so i guess you can say i'm interested in learning

PlasticMan - I quit my old gym and ended up buying all the equipment I pretty much needed (heavy bag, speedbag, kick and focus pads). So $199 a month is more than what I would want to spend. Maybe NYCOM's new gym will have mats to practice on. I'm pretty sure the old gym did.

PlasticMan - I quit my old gym and ended up buying all the equipment I pretty much needed (heavy bag, speedbag, kick and focus pads). So $199 a month is more than what I would want to spend. Maybe NYCOM's new gym will have mats to practice on. I'm pretty sure the old gym did.

Exactly, I'm not paying that much either. Utterly ridiculous. Perhaps the NYCOM gym will have mats.

Or start a NYCOM MMA club and have them buy us mats & gear :)

And if we hurt each other we always have OMM lab :D

hey guys... welcome to nycom and congratulations!! I'm glad to see some fellow mma-ers looking to roll around. dont bother asking the faculty or anyone because they will definitely say no.

My name is Mike and I'm a 2nd year at NYCOM. As a matter of fact last year me and another student gathered a group together and started grappling session every tuesday at 6:30pm. the gym had some jigg-saw puzzle mats that were good for rolling around.

the only problem that occured was that newbie's wanted to come and learn bjj and therefore it turned into a teaching session....whichhh we don't have time for. sometimes they would show up and other times they wouldn't and they'd be lost the next time they came.

eventually we just allowed only people who knew how to grapple or who were dead serious about learning. by all means teach if you want but i'm just telling you what happened with me.

anyway the gym will not open until late october or november so if you wanna get together and roll around outside or something let me know. I'll gather some 2nd years to do it too.
I'll send you a PM with my contact info.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.