*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if you guys at NYCOM have a professor named Brian Beatty in the anatomy department?

Yeah he's new I think....

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the input about Pharm books -- one more question!

Best/most comprehensive/clear/most useful etc. medical dictionary to buy? I am already checking some out to see the differences but there are quite a few out there, so I was wondering if any 1st or 2nd years had any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks!

thanks for the input about Pharm books -- one more question!

Best/most comprehensive/clear/most useful etc. medical dictionary to buy? I am already checking some out to see the differences but there are quite a few out there, so I was wondering if any 1st or 2nd years had any thoughts or recommendations. Thanks!

that big fat ugly textbook, the black one i think its goodmans and gilliars? is avail online under statref. via nycom library

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know if the BLS thing is really till five, and do we need the book b/c if we do then I'm dead.....

since we have so many Class of 2009 lurkers on this thread --

help us first years out with how to handle pharm! After that crazy NSAIDS/Opioids/etc. lecture yesterday, I'm definitely going to need to attack this subject with more than just class notes and self-made flashcards and review books. I just got Lippincott's Pharmacology review -- what else is recommended??

You asking me for pharm help? I STILL SUCK AT PHARM especially with Hutak although this year we have Marcus and he is better than Hutak since Hutak just has laundry lists about each damn drug.

My advice: 1. First memorize the names in a class by making mneumonics. 2. Then memorize the mechanism and common side effects. 3. After that read the rest of the info about the drug but conc. on 1 and 2 (not really 3). An hour before the test you conc. on the third one and forget it half an hour later. After the test you forget everything you learned (so I suck at pharm). I hate all pharm books except "pharm made ridiculouly simple simple" since it is the only memorizable one.

Best medical dictionary is Mosbey's medical dictionary for health professionals since it is the easiest worded and has the most pictures I think.

Anybody know if the BLS thing is really till five, and do we need the book b/c if we do then I'm dead.....
Some friends had it this past weekend; they said they were out by 1:00pm both days. They also said you don't need the book. :)

Hey NYCOM'ers,

This is Steve Menard from UNECOM 2010. A few of us in our class were browsing your forum and noticed that your anatomy course seems much different from ours. We have anatomy strarting on the first day of school and it is fast and furious. We have only 10 weeks to learn it all, along with other courses. Would you all be kind enough to fill me in on what you have experienced and how your courses are run? I would be greatful and would be using your repsonse to educate and stimulate conversation amongst my classmates. If you would like, you can post under the UNECOM 2010 forum.

Also, if there are any other things, problems or great ideas that have worked for your class pertaining to curriculm etc., I would love to hear about it. I would be more than willing to return the favor any time. Good luck all...

Steve M.

how long after getting accepted do you get to decide?

So does anyone else smell cover up? Not that i care. **** happens, stuff gets misplaced, why the big fuss about it today. It is sad that the woman didnt get the ashes though.

Nycom is definately at fault, they should have checked on the delivery. Its a person and not just a package you send for delivery, you would think they would have safeguards in place. scands said NOW they have them. bs, should have always had them and this wouldnt have happened. like they say, always document, including delivery confirmation!

Also about posting the complex q's. Again their fault, they should make the exam different. "cant talk about it after", freedom of speech, buddy. wake up. you cant protect your info its your fault!

whatever, needed a break from studying, now back to path.

So does anyone else smell cover up? Not that i care. **** happens, stuff gets misplaced, why the big fuss about it today. It is sad that the woman didnt get the ashes though.

Nycom is definately at fault, they should have checked on the delivery. Its a person and not just a package you send for delivery, you would think they would have safeguards in place. scands said NOW they have them. bs, should have always had them and this wouldnt have happened. like they say, always document, including delivery confirmation!

Also about posting the complex q's. Again their fault, they should make the exam different. "cant talk about it after", freedom of speech, buddy. wake up. you cant protect your info its your fault!

whatever, needed a break from studying, now back to path.

When did Scandalis speak about this (was I ditching school that day?). I might smell a cover up but I won't say anything bec. I don't want Scandalis to get mad ... I think he is watching us :eek: :eek: .

he spoke yesterday, even if ppl watch you, this is an anonymous forum so dont worry.
btw it is nice that the school is establishing this scholarship thing for the woman s husband, thats pretty honarable.

I hope they saved the tracking number of that shipment.

Its kinda hard to just misplace a body, thats the issue.

NYCOM should have at least made a phone call to the family to inform them that the body was being shipped to be cremated.
The lack of communication for 3 years is why this is now an issue, and once the media picked it up it had to be addressed.

Well, I gotta get back to scrubbing the marker off my feet from OMM lab...

Not that i care. **** happens, stuff gets misplaced, why the big fuss about it today. It is sad that the woman didnt get the ashes though..

Members don't see this ad :)
When did Scandalis speak about this (was I ditching school that day?). I might smell a cover up but I won't say anything bec. I don't want Scandalis to get mad ... I think he is watching us :eek: :eek: .
He spoke thursday @ 12pm.

Their old protocol was to contract pickup, dropoff for cremation, and pickup/dropoff of remains of body to the family. NYCOM eneded their responsibility when the body was picked up. Now they are working with a different company and take full responsibility and verify all the steps of devlivery of remains.

NYCOM has records that show the body was given to this contracted company many years ago and satisfied the recent investigation by the DA. The contracted company does not have records indicating they picked up this body. Dr. Scandalis says that NYCOM ended their relationship with this company about 4-5 years ago because they were unhappy with their ability to keep proper records.

I hope they saved the tracking number of that shipment.

Its kinda hard to just misplace a body, thats the issue.

NYCOM should have at least made a phone call to the family to inform them that the body was being shipped to be cremated.
The lack of communication for 3 years is why this is now an issue, and once the media picked it up it had to be addressed.

Well, I gotta get back to scrubbing the marker off my feet from OMM lab...

Nah he just colored my feet in, dragged me across the exam table and checked my L4 nerve until it no longer fired. Overall OMM today felt more like abuse :laugh:

However, I probably shouldn't wash my feet until after the practical :laugh:

It wasn't anything like this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2S_UOHlueY

Not so anonymous since now I know who Dave C is. Did Dr. Van Arsdale imply that there was nothing sexy about your feet? LOL!

He did what I expected him to do. Punt, fumble and call us unprofessional. Of course he blamed someone else. This is a $250,000 settlement NYIT does not need.

How did u guys study for Dr. Simon's stuff, I'm trying to read the Rheumatic Primer and his notes buts its a little hard to comprehend.

For all my fellow streamers out there, contrary to what most of our class as well as the 2nd years are telling us, attendance is NOT required for rheumatology lectures. That is the official statement coming from the pre-clinical education department. If you have any doubts, you can contact Dr. Claire Bryant. I just wanted to clear up all the hear-say. :)

He did what I expected him to do. Punt, fumble and call us unprofessional. Of course he blamed someone else. This is a $250,000 settlement NYIT does not need.

That is a very unprofessional thing to say.

For all my fellow streamers out there, contrary to what most of our class as well as the 2nd years are telling us, attendance is NOT required for rheumatology lectures. That is the official statement coming from the pre-clinical education department. If you have any doubts, you can contact Dr. Claire Bryant. I just wanted to clear up all the hear-say. :)

No one is going to hunt you down if you don't show up to class. But Simon will randomly call out names from his class list, and if you are not present, you will get publically humiliated on streaming video.

"It's IgA mediated."

No one is going to hunt you down if you don't show up to class. But Simon will randomly call out names from his class list, and if you are not present, you will get publically humiliated on streaming video.

"It's IgA mediated."
Awesome, a celebrity among streamers. :D

I streamed Dr Williams and Dr Dixon's 2009 lecture that we will do friday. Feels good.

I cant believe you are ahead, i am always a few lectures behind. i have watched some of last years, but am too nervous that they will say something different this year, and it will pop up on the test.

Anyways is the primer any good? i find that i really need to understand something to learn it, cant just memorize random bullsh*t. And i didnt find Simon's lectures too explanatory. i had too many questions in my head. Harrisons is way too long though, so i wanted some opinions on the primer.

BTW, the 3D anatomy site rocks, you can even quiz yourself. back to rheumo.

Thanks.

I'm behind also. I missed a couple of lectures and still need to stream those. I only listened to the friday lectures so I could spend all day Thursday/friday doing Pathology and biochem.

I think MSK was the last block for the 2009 class. I compared the powerpoints between 2009 and 2010 before streaming and it's the same thing.

when i go over rheum tomorrow i'm going to make a final decision on reading the primer. The Path, Rheum, and biochem all tie in so well I may just use Robbins MSK chapter. So far a 2nd year told me to stick to the rheum notes and skip the Primer text.

are you talking about the Primal Scream anatomy website?

I cant believe you are ahead, i am always a few lectures behind. i have watched some of last years, but am too nervous that they will say something different this year, and it will pop up on the test.

Anyways is the primer any good? i find that i really need to understand something to learn it, cant just memorize random bullsh*t. And i didnt find Simon's lectures too explanatory. i had too many questions in my head. Harrisons is way too long though, so i wanted some opinions on the primer.

BTW, the 3D anatomy site rocks, you can even quiz yourself. back to rheumo.

Thanks.

if you guys want to get a sense of proper studying early, open up the robbins question book. You should have done ch 1-2 during fundamentals, but if not, do them a couple of times over now that you have some more path under your belt. Then scour the book and do all the MSK questions and chapters. Ditto other relevant subjects, and ditto your next system, whatever it is. It probably won't affect your score on the next NYCOM test, as it takes away from memorizing your powerpoints, but start making your peace with this intellectual gambit early (now)... or else.

Wow they still don't have any of yesterday's vids posted yet. :mad:

if you guys want to get a sense of proper studying early, open up the robbins question book. You should have done ch 1-2 during fundamentals, but if not, do them a couple of times over now that you have some more path under your belt. Then scour the book and do all the MSK questions and chapters. Ditto other relevant subjects, and ditto your next system, whatever it is. It probably won't affect your score on the next NYCOM test, as it takes away from memorizing your powerpoints, but start making your peace with this intellectual gambit early (now)... or else.
Can you specify what you mean by "robbins question book" ? I have the large Robbins. Do you mean the "review of pathology" ?

I am contacting you on behalf of the Osteopathic Caucus of the American Medical Association Medical Student Section (AMA-MSS). We would like to invite your university to join the AMA-MSS to help promote Osteopathic Medicine to the allopathic medical students. Each medical school is allowed one delegate to vote within the Student Section HOD and as an osteopathic medical school it is important that your voices be heard in that forum. I encourage you and your classmates to take advantage of this opportunity and start your own AMA-MSS Chapter. So far there are 12 osteopathic schools that participate in the AMA-MSS in addition to AOA/SOMA and AMSA. The AMA-MSS encompasses ALL medical students (osteopathic and allopathic) and all resolutions that are passed in the AMA-MSS are “osteopathic friendly”. As an osteopathic student in the AOA and the AMA I have twice as many opportunities available compared to the average osteopathic or allopathic medical student and I have a voice in two very distinguished medical organizations. The allopathic medical students are both curious and receptive towards osteopathic medicine - what better way is there to teach them about our principles and profession than working beside them?
If you are interested in hearing more about the great opportunities the AMA-MSS has to offer osteopathic students or would like help starting your own chapter please don’t hesitate to contact me. (If you know of someone else from your university who would be interested please forward this email on to them.)

I look forward to working with you in the future!

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine AMA-MSS Chapter
AMA-MSS Osteopathic Caucus Promotions Chair

Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology, Second Edition
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Saunders; 2 edition (November 18, 2004)
ISBN: 0721601944

This book is all questions. The detailed answers are supposed to an excellent source for learning.

stream the lectures from 2009. I was at yesterday's lecture and wanted to see how far Dr. Tiger got in the 2009 lecture and listened to the last 10 minutes. It seems like the same thing.

Wow they still don't have any of yesterday's vids posted yet. :mad:

Robbins and Cotran Review of Pathology, Second Edition
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Saunders; 2 edition (November 18, 2004)
ISBN: 0721601944

This book is all questions. The detailed answers are supposed to an excellent source for learning.

stream the lectures from 2009. I was at yesterday's lecture and wanted to see how far Dr. Tiger got in the 2009 lecture and listened to the last 10 minutes. It seems like the same thing.
Thanks, HG.

are you talking about the Primal Scream anatomy website?

yes, on the OVID link, its pretty cool, but you have to play with it alot. Also the system conks out on me sometimes, i get alot of error messages, or it doesnt load.

When you say study path, you mean the rheumo stuff right? did i miss s/t?

Wow, SDN. I remember this site. The countless days of checking the message boards 12 times an hour to see if anyone got into NYCOM. Jeeze, those were the days. Yup, I wish we still had time to log onto here and mess around 12 times an hour. Anyone else miss having a life outside of school?? Haha, yeah...so do I. I remember when I took up golf the begining of the summer...I got pretty good at it. Then, a few days into Fundamentals, I went out and bought a new set of clubs. They've been used once, and now live in the back of my car. Its a pitty, but I feel cool when I drive people to moe's or somewhere to get food during lunch and they see them, sitting there, nice and sparkely new. Do you guys remember movies?? Yeah, those were cool too! I remember they used to have these large auditoriums, like Williams really, but they called them theaters. Then, you'd pay $10.25 for a ticket, and aother $37.50 for an extra-large popcorn and soda (because hey, it's only $.03 more to upgrade the size 18-fold) and you'd sit in a big room with sticky floors and watch the show. Yeah, those were the days. Good old normalcy...Back to Rheum...

when i said Path I meant the 2 days of lecture by Dr. Williams
when I said rheum I meant the lectures by Dr. Tiger and Dr. Simon.

There's a lot of overlap there.

yes, on the OVID link, its pretty cool, but you have to play with it alot. Also the system conks out on me sometimes, i get alot of error messages, or it doesnt load.

When you say study path, you mean the rheumo stuff right? did i miss s/t?

Cheers mates,
who can tell me where to find last year's exams, they're supposed to be posted somewhere on nycom's site, no?

Anybody know what percentage of accepted students are out-of-state or out of the northeast region, i am from Michigan do i have a chance? also when do they start interviewing out-of-state/out-of-region students and also do i have to be complete at NYCOM in order to get an interview invite?

Anybody know what percentage of accepted students are out-of-state or out of the northeast region, i am from Michigan do i have a chance? also when do they start interviewing out-of-state/out-of-region students and also do i have to be complete at NYCOM in order to get an interview invite?
You are offered an interview invite based solely on your primary application. You are then told you need to have your LOR to them by the time of your interview and you bring the secondary application with you to your interview.

I don't know if you have a shot, but I do know NYCOM has been getting increasingly competitive. They told us they had around 4500 applicants last year! Getting your application to them early and going to the open house would be the best things you could do at this point to increase your chances.

Hey guys, so anyone upset at wasted omm lab time?

Without having the powerpoints the lecture was a TOTAL waste of time, you have to stream it anyways.

How difficult is it to have the power points ready on time??? I am feeling that we are getting half a*sed lectures, like they are preparing them the night before or something. What other explanation can there be.

This already happened a few times, and ppl have complained but to no avail. If the administratin doesnt give a crap about OMM, why should we, huh?

Very pissed off. A week before the exam **** like this shouldnt happen.

You guys think the anatomy mock on wednesday will be helpful?

Hey guys, so anyone upset at wasted omm lab time?

Without having the powerpoints the lecture was a TOTAL waste of time, you have to stream it anyways.

How difficult is it to have the power points ready on time??? I am feeling that we are getting half a*sed lectures, like they are preparing them the night before or something. What other explanation can there be.

This already happened a few times, and ppl have complained but to no avail. If the administratin doesnt give a crap about OMM, why should we, huh?

Very pissed off. A week before the exam **** like this shouldnt happen.

You guys think the anatomy mock on wednesday will be helpful?
What time is this mock exam ?

When streaming videos in windows media player I sometimes click the speed toggle (1x 1.4x 2x 5x) and it streams faster which is great. Sometimes it just goes into fast forward mode and I can't see/hear the stream. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong when it goes into fast forward mode? I have WM 10 in full mode.

Are you using the play speed settings and controlling the speed with the slider?

Right click on the "minimize button" of windows media player then go to: View -> Enhancements -> Play Speed Settings

If you don't get picture or sound which happens a lot I've noticed when the lecture stops for a break and then restarts. Click the slider back that controls where you are watching the video and the sound will come back on. For OMM a lot of the times the video isn't recorded correctly and you will get a black screen with sound. For lecture I've noticed the sound comes back on if you just move the slider back slightly if you stop getting sound.

So when I stream, the picture is always in psychadelic colors and I can't see it through them. Any idea how to mess with WMP to adjust the color on playback? I went to the tech people, who, unsurprisingly, were little help.

Institute of technology my ass.

thanks.

Are you using the play speed settings and controlling the speed with the slider?

Right click on the "minimize button" of windows media player then go to: View -> Enhancements -> Play Speed Settings

If you don't get picture or sound which happens a lot I've noticed when the lecture stops for a break and then restarts. Click the slider back that controls where you are watching the video and the sound will come back on. For OMM a lot of the times the video isn't recorded correctly and you will get a black screen with sound. For lecture I've noticed the sound comes back on if you just move the slider back slightly if you stop getting sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.