*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nvshelat said:
How much is the fee to join?

Thanks for the info!

Hey All....

The fee to join SOMA is $60-65. Most of the bigger clubs - AMSA, AMA, etc. are around the same price. NYCOM clubs are usually $5-40 to join. Additionally, the one book I would recommend everyone get prior to the start of OMM is OMT Review by Robert Savarese. They have it in the NYCOM bookstore. You will need it to get through OMM and the boards. One word of advice - don't bring it with you to OMM lab!! Some profs. in the OMM department are not fans of the book - they feel as though it is taking the easy way out. It is a very concise, yet comprehensive review book that makes OMM and your life a whole lot easier!! ;) Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I am here to help you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Sweepea8137 said:
Hey All....

The fee to join SOMA is $60-65. Most of the bigger clubs - AMSA, AMA, etc. are around the same price. NYCOM clubs are usually $5-40 to join. Additionally, the one book I would recommend everyone get prior to the start of OMM is OMT Review by Robert Savarese. They have it in the NYCOM bookstore. You will need it to get through OMM and the boards. One word of advice - don't bring it with you to OMM lab!! Some profs. in the OMM department are not fans of the book - they feel as though it is taking the easy way out. It is a very concise, yet comprehensive review book that makes OMM and your life a whole lot easier!! ;) Any other questions, please feel free to ask. I am here to help you guys.

Yeah, the Savarese book is where it is at. Dr Gilliar disagrees with Digiovanna a lot.

You dont have to go to the AOA convention, and unless you have designs on a national soma position, you won't miss anything except a big coctail party (which is really for the people who run the AOA, not the students) and some people selling OMM tables. If you have to take time off to go to a conference, pick one related to a specialty you are interested in (like the American Association of Family Practitioners national), or one of the other student conferences like AMSA, PHR ect. You'll get a lot more out of it.

Oh and get used feeling out of the loop about your education :sleep: . Join SGA or cultivate a friendship with one of the deans if you want to know about stuff before it happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does NYCOM acutally pay for tickets or hotels for the AOA?

endAIDScom said:
You dont have to go to the AOA convention, and unless you have designs on a national soma position, you won't miss anything except a big drunken party (which is really for the people who run the AOA, not the students) and some people selling OMM tables.

HunterGatherer said:

are you kidding? :laugh:

Just replying to someone's message earlier:

Club Fair is scheduled to date on August 25th. Don't forget to bring $$$ or checks that day!!!

SOMA's membership is $60. Membership includes a FREE Netter's Atlas. No need to buy one before hand! Membership also includes: Membership packet, other little freebies and discounts to certain places.

Any other questions, feel free to ask .. :D

HunterGatherer said:

I thought they paid for hotel last year but I might be wrong.

Hey guys, what type of printer would you recommend getting, a Laser Printer (more expensive, yet faster and needs fewer cartridge changes) or an InkJet?

...It does not matter what kind of printer you have or how many mb of ram your laptop has, or whether your notebooks are wide ruled...nor does it matter what you wear the first day of orientation. Financial Aid will work itself out! It always does, (after scaring the hell out of you first) or else none of us would be here.

Please take my advice and do something exciting with the time you have left before classes start, something you've never done before but always wanted to do. Go for a road trip. Go to Vegas. Go skydiving. Go on a date for cryin' out loud. In a month or so, your free time will drop to nearly ziltch, as you'll be spending the greater part of the next six months getting Kumar-ized, Hu-smacked, Gillia-fied, Freidman-ated, and Stepp-ed on. Pretty soon you'll be telling the entering class of 2011 to take it easy and enjoy their summers. :cool:

just chillax. It's all good. :cool:

I agree with Dies here. As another 2009 rep I can will say just try and relax. Enjoy your last week or so of freedom and do something fun. All the above named professors will make you miserable. Buy all of your books as you need them so you are not stuck with things you will not use. For the love of god just relax!!

hi everyone

a new orientation handbook was posted this morning.... but it looks like all the same stuff. just wanted to let everyone know
hope your enjoying your last 13 days!!!!!!!!!

Cthulu said:
I agree with Dies here. As another 2009 rep I can will say just try and relax. Enjoy your last week or so of freedom and do something fun. All the above named professors will make you miserable. Buy all of your books as you need them so you are not stuck with things you will not use. For the love of god just relax!!

If free time were a tangible commodity, I'd rob these guys. (at gunpoint) Because I'm just that gangsta.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the Convocation in November vs. the Convocation in May and then the Hooding Ceremony....

Hey NYCOMers,

So I have a bit of a situation. Orientation is coming up and I'm sure all of you are ready and all that but I was on the waitlist and I just received the phone call late last week and received my packet in the mail this evening. I see the immunization form and the transcript request and all that and I can do that all tomorrow and not have a problem but what I have been having a problem with is the living situation. I've been scouring craigslist and I finally got access to the web board and was sorely disappointed with the list available there and I was wondering if anyone over there knows of any availabilities this late in the game. I just bought my plane tickets and I'm set to arrive on Saturday, Aug 19th from Los Angeles. I've been calling the few listings I've been able to find on craigslist and whatnot, but I can't shake the feeling that the person on the other end isn't taking me seriously as I can't meet and greet right away.

Well about me, 24m Korean, lived in California most of my life. Graduated Berkeley winter 04. Pretty laid-back and easy to get along with. Would prefer to have my own room, but hey beggars can't be choosers huh? Basically it's going to be pretty chaotic for me when I get out there and I'd appreciate any help or information. My email is [email protected]

Thanks and look forward to meeting everyone in a couple weeks.

Ju

To the 2nd years out there....how much money should we bring to orientation for clubs and whatever else there is? Also, is there anything that is required for the first day of class?

Looks like they posted new versions of the handbook, housing, and book lists. Not sure how much has changed. See you soon.

jujubee02 said:
Hey NYCOMers,

So I have a bit of a situation. Orientation is coming up and I'm sure all of you are ready and all that but I was on the waitlist and I just received the phone call late last week and received my packet in the mail this evening. I see the immunization form and the transcript request and all that and I can do that all tomorrow and not have a problem but what I have been having a problem with is the living situation. I've been scouring craigslist and I finally got access to the web board and was sorely disappointed with the list available there and I was wondering if anyone over there knows of any availabilities this late in the game. I just bought my plane tickets and I'm set to arrive on Saturday, Aug 19th from Los Angeles. I've been calling the few listings I've been able to find on craigslist and whatnot, but I can't shake the feeling that the person on the other end isn't taking me seriously as I can't meet and greet right away.

Well about me, 24m Korean, lived in California most of my life. Graduated Berkeley winter 04. Pretty laid-back and easy to get along with. Would prefer to have my own room, but hey beggars can't be choosers huh? Basically it's going to be pretty chaotic for me when I get out there and I'd appreciate any help or information. My email is [email protected]

Thanks and look forward to meeting everyone in a couple weeks.

Ju

Hi All:

Like Jujubee I just got accepted recently. I'm from Jersey so I don't have to travel cross country but I still need a place to rest my weary head since I am not planning to commute. If you need a nice, quiet roommate or know someone who does, please contact me ASAP.

See you soon!

leo56 said:
Looks like they posted new versions of the handbook, housing, and book lists. Not sure how much has changed. See you soon.

There's also something about ID cards and parking, but it's not labeled as new. We can go on the 18th to get that stuff done.

JasonUD said:
To the 2nd years out there....how much money should we bring to orientation for clubs and whatever else there is? Also, is there anything that is required for the first day of class?

Bring $100 or so. Less if your not going to join SOMA or AMSA.

Bring an ipod and maybe a pillow to orientation. Lot of waiting around.

Oh god, and if any of you new DPCrs are on here, could you stop posting your sappy life stories to the email list? We love ya all, but you'll have plenty of time to flirt in person later, and you'll find out really quickly that our email accounts are small and fill up easily when your posting uncompressed myspace pictures. :laugh:

endAIDScom said:
Bring $100 or so. Less if your not going to join SOMA or AMSA.

Bring an ipod and maybe a pillow to orientation. Lot of waiting around.

Oh god, and if any of you new DPCrs are on here, could you stop posting your sappy life stories to the email list? We love ya all, but you'll have plenty of time to flirt in person later, and you'll find out really quickly that our email accounts are small and fill up easily when your posting uncompressed myspace pictures. :laugh:

Hey - do you find that most of your fellow DPC-ers have a certain specialty/field of medicine in mind? For instance, are most of your classmates looking towards FP? Or is it mixed?

nvshelat said:
Hey - do you find that most of your fellow DPC-ers have a certain specialty/field of medicine in mind? For instance, are most of your classmates looking towards FP? Or is it mixed?

Most people dont know what they want to do. I have yet to meet anyone who wanted to do FP from day one though. Everyone wants to specialize, but the unfortunate reality is that at least half the class is going to do FP, (and a lot of those folks are going to spend a year floating in the purgatory of rotating internship before they even get an FP slot). I think a lot of folks get their realities checked by the end of second year. A lot of gunner friends friends of mine who last year were saying they wanted to do surgery (to which nycom matches like 1 or 2 graduates a year) are now saying ER (still ultra competitive with only like 20 matches last year). Its going to be even harder for folks entering in class of 2012 or later, because then we will be competing with (the soon to open) Touro Harlem for residency spots.

If you know what you want to do, get in line to become president of the club and start taking any opprotunity to build relationships with residency directors at the place you want to match to.

I don't find any difference between the aspirations or abilties of DPC vs traditional cirriculum students though.

Personally I think I want to do ER, but im not sure I'll make the cut, and I dont for sure that I will like it. I'm trying to cover my bases for a decent medicine residency in either case.

if anyone has got a chance to look at the schedule they put up, does that pretty much mean that we're learning about one subject straight for a few weeks or so, then getting a final, then moving on?

endAIDScom said:
lot of gunner friends friends of mine who last year were saying they wanted to do surgery (to which nycom matches like 1 or 2 graduates a year)
More like 20

Its going to be even harder for folks entering in class of 2012 or later, because then we will be competing with (the soon to open) Touro Harlem for residency spots.
Yea, it's the touro harlem kids we need to be worry about. Come on.

If you know what you want to do, get in line to become president of the club and start taking any opprotunity to build relationships with residency directors at the place you want to match to.
Yes you can start practicing getting your nose very brown. Alternatively, you can study hard and wow people with your great knowledge, sharp wit, and mad skills.

hey guys.. this just seemed really insane to me so i wanted to know what you guys are doing about the books.. the book list that was put up for the first course has a ton of books on it.. do we really need to buy all those books just for 1 course?? i mean i calculated how much itd be on half.com and it came out to around $1,000! so what are the rest of you doing.. just waiting until we actually get there or what?

if any 2nd years could comment on this, thatd also be helpful.. thanks in advance!

The lecture curriculum is Systems based (heme, cardiovascular, respiratory, etc.) meaning we will cover one system for 4-12 weeks and go over each subject (biochem, pathology,physiology,etc) for that system. long blocks should have more than 1 exam.

Don't buy all of the books. Wait until orientation and you will be able to talk to 2nd years on what's good.

This reality check comes from a combination of things like personal board scores?

endAIDScom said:
I think a lot of folks get their realities checked by the end of second year. A lot of gunner friends friends of mine who last year were saying they wanted to do surgery (to which nycom matches like 1 or 2 graduates a year) are now saying ER (still ultra competitive with only like 20 matches last year).

Hi Guys....

I actually bought all of the required books prior to the start of first year. You will find yourself buying more books as the year progresses. These are mostly review books - BRS, High Yield, etc. You will find that the required texts for each respective block are different - some might not actually be on the list you were given. As for the ones I would definitely get now - Bates Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (used a lot in DPR and good for ICC), Moore & Dalley Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry (you don't have a lot of biochem, but the book is a good reference), Costanzo Physiology - not Costanzo BRS (again, not too much physio in the first few blocks, but a good reference nonetheless), OMT Review by Robert Savarese (a must have), Color Atlas of Anatomy (awesome for anatomy practicals) and Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (corny, but will help you remember things that you normally wouldn't). Don't buy Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy - you get it for free when you join SOMA at the club fair during the first week of orientation.

Additionally, I was always a textbook reader in undergrad. It worked for me and I did well. However, in medical school, there is little time to read four 40 page assignments during the week when you are trying to do your pre-reading and reviewing. I bought all the required texts because I would always have them there should I need to look anything up for further understanding. It turns out that almost all of the books I bought for first year are also required for this year....so I lucked out. You will find that notes are the primary source for EXAM QUESTIONS. The majority are all directly from the notes!!

With regard to System Exams - you typically have one cumulative exam per system. The exception is Neurology. The Neuro block, unlike all the others, is about 12 weeks long - Jan. to Mar. During the 12 week block, you will have three exams.

One more thing....for Pathology, bring your laptops to class. The prof. will throw a slide up on the screen and start talking about it. You can download the PPT from the academic webpage onto your computer and take notes directly on the PPT.

I hope this helps....any other questions, feel free to PM. I'm here to help!! If any other 2nd years have anything else to add, please do!! :D

Sweepea8137 said:
Hi Guys....

I actually bought all of the required books prior to the start of first year. You will find yourself buying more books as the year progresses. These are mostly review books - BRS, High Yield, etc. You will find that the required texts for each respective block are different - some might not actually be on the list you were given. As for the ones I would definitely get now - Bates Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (used a lot in DPR and good for ICC), Moore & Dalley Clinically Oriented Anatomy, Lippincott's Illustrated Review of Biochemistry (you don't have a lot of biochem, but the book is a good reference), Costanzo Physiology - not Costanzo BRS (again, not too much physio in the first few blocks, but a good reference nonetheless), OMT Review by Robert Savarese (a must have), Color Atlas of Anatomy (awesome for anatomy practicals) and Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (corny, but will help you remember things that you normally wouldn't). Don't buy Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy - you get it for free when you join SOMA at the club fair during the first week of orientation.

Additionally, I was always a textbook reader in undergrad. It worked for me and I did well. However, in medical school, there is little time to read four 40 page assignments during the week when you are trying to do your pre-reading and reviewing. I bought all the required texts because I would always have them there should I need to look anything up for further understanding. It turns out that almost all of the books I bought for first year are also required for this year....so I lucked out. You will find that notes are the primary source for EXAM QUESTIONS. The majority are all directly from the notes!!

With regard to System Exams - you typically have one cumulative exam per system. The exception is Neurology. The Neuro block, unlike all the others, is about 12 weeks long - Jan. to Mar. During the 12 week block, you will have three exams.

One more thing....for Pathology, bring your laptops to class. The prof. will throw a slide up on the screen and start talking about it. You can download the PPT from the academic webpage onto your computer and take notes directly on the PPT.

I hope this helps....any other questions, feel free to PM. I'm here to help!! If any other 2nd years have anything else to add, please do!! :D
Out of all these books you purchased, were any of them available online (through the library resources) ?

Are most of the Pathology lectures streamed?

Can you use regular Adobe PowerPoint to write notes on the ppt? Thanks.

Sweepea8137 said:

HunterGatherer said:
Are most of the Pathology lectures streamed?

Can you use regular Adobe PowerPoint to write notes on the ppt? Thanks.

Hi....

All of the Path lectures are streamed. Our Path prof. is excellent!! He does a great job of teaching as well as reviewing key concepts. If you use Microsoft PPT, there is a space for notes under the actual slide - you might have to move the bottom border of the screen up to see it. What I used to do was take notes in this space and then print out the entire PPT lecture in outline format. In doing so, I would have the slide at the top center of the page with my notes underneath. It was a great way to study because the prof's notes are not annotated and there is no way to identify what the slide is unless you go to lecture or stream it to hear what the prof. says about it.

Also, I use Barnes and Noble.com to get all of my textbooks. I also coughed up the $25 to become a member. I save 10% on every single one of my purchases and I get special deals on all of my textbooks. I have saved more than $1000 on books by buying through BN.com. I have yet to have a problem with them!!

Any questions, feel free!! :D

Sweepea8137 said:
hmmmm.....well what if some of us don't have a laptop?? I mean, don't professors leave PPT print out of the slides that we can pick up hard copies of before class to write on?

Courtesy Shannon...

Our approximate schedule is as follows:
Mon. Wed. 9-2
Tues. Thurs. 8-5
Fri. 9-1230

Hey everyone. The first day of class is coming up quick and I'm psyched!! I'm going to try and set up a weekly soccer game at the NYCOM fields. I'm thinking about doing it on Sunday morning around 10:30-11. Any one out the interested? Let me know so i can jusge how many folks we have.

A buddy of mine just told me he heard a NYCOM commercial on the radio this weekend! Has anyone else heard this? I usually listen to satellite radio, so I wouldn't know.

PlasticMan said:
A buddy of mine just told me he heard a NYCOM commercial on the radio this weekend! Has anyone else heard this? I usually listen to satellite radio, so I wouldn't know.

I haven't heard it but my Dad did. He was like "Jay, I just heard a commercial for an osteopathic school through NYIT! Why didn't you apply there?" And I said, "Dad, are you serious? That is where I'm going." It was pretty funny.

Evilcaterpillar said:
Hey everyone. The first day of class is coming up quick and I'm psyched!! I'm going to try and set up a weekly soccer game at the NYCOM fields. I'm thinking about doing it on Sunday morning around 10:30-11. Any one out the interested? Let me know so i can jusge how many folks we have.
I'm definitely interested in something like that. I was actually wondering if that had already been arranged by other students.

PlasticMan said:
I heard it maybe twice while driving in the car. It was definitely a surprise. I'm sure it will increase applications for the next entering class.

JasonUD said:
Courtesy Shannon...

Our approximate schedule is as follows:
Mon. Wed. 9-2
Tues. Thurs. 8-5
Fri. 9-1230

Does this schedule make sense? where did it come from?

The 2nd year on here posted a diff schedule.

Nice to start at 9am not 8am though.

And good to have 3 afternoons off, i thought we only had 1 off, friday.

PlasticMan said:

Yeah I heard it twice once on Z100 and another time on HOT 97, I was like huh??

Ski2Doc said:
Does this schedule make sense? where did it come from?

The 2nd year on here posted a diff schedule.

Nice to start at 9am not 8am though.

And good to have 3 afternoons off, i thought we only had 1 off, friday.

She got this from Taryn Croot, associate dean of admissions.

Answering some questions:

The fair for the clubs will be Friday August 25th. Bring a checkbook because sometimes you end up joining all the clubs. Some clubs are like 5-10 bucks while SOMA is 60. Join SOMA! Free netters! Don't buy Netter's Atlas yet!

Books: You definately should wait! On August 23rd will be Big Brother/ Big Sister Luncheon and you guys will have an opportunity to have a second year student answer all of your questions.

Soccer/Sports: There are intramurals at NYIT that NYCOM students are allowed to join. I played BB, Soccer, Flag Football, and Volleyball.

AOA Convention: Held in Vegas this year. NYCOM SGA will pay for the hotel. You provide transportation. There will prob be a mandatory event that you must go or else you forfeit your hotel deposit money (i think it was a $100)

Class/Lab: Your OMM/Anatomy will be Mon/Weds .. occasionally Fri.
Our schedule last year was like: MWF 8-12 (sometimes 9-12). T-THU 8-5 (sometimes 8-3 or 8-4) For my class, labs are held Tues/Thurs

Any other questions, ask or PM me .. =) good luck next week. Can't wait to meet all of you. :D

I have a very general question, might even be an easy one haha. Do we mail the NYCOM Insurance enrollment form before we go to orientation? Or do we hold on to it until the Insurance information session we have during orientation? I hope I am not really late with this or something. I was at training until the beginning of this month and have been running around since. Thanks in advance! :)

Icarus22 said:
I have a very general question, might even be an easy one haha. Do we mail the NYCOM Insurance enrollment form before we go to orientation? Or do we hold on to it until the Insurance information session we have during orientation? I hope I am not really late with this or something. I was at training until the beginning of this month and have been running around since. Thanks in advance! :)

I called the insurance company to ask this question, and the rep told me to fill it out as thoroughly as possible and bring it to orientation. We are required to enroll or decline within the first two weeks; I am assuming it will be retroactive to the first day of classes. You're not too late!!

fireclash said:
I'm definitely interested in something like that. I was actually wondering if that had already been arranged by other students.

Sweet! I'm sure there are a bunch of other students that already play or are willing to play. I just threw the idea up there so we can get the ball rolling. If You know anyone who is down to play at least once a week let them know. I think I may send out a mass email and put up some fliers on campus to get a larger group together. At least we'll have something to do rather than stick our faces in the books all day long.

Just curious, is anyone interested in a NYCOM 2010 fantasy football league?

I'd be willing to organize it and we can set up an online draft for one weekend day or weekday night during orientation.

We'd need either 8,10, or 12 teams and I'd like to keep it free since we're all up to our necks in debt already.

FoxSports runs a pretty good fantasy system and it's free for everyone to sign up. Is anyone interested? Message me with your e-mail addresses and I can try to set it up.

Since the last few posts have been sports-themed, I was wondering if anyone else is a triathlete? It would be great to get some people together for cycling, swimming, running, etc.

See you next week!

I'd be interested! I don't know too much about soccer, but I'm a decent athlete and I'm a quick study :)

Evilcaterpillar said:
Sweet! I'm sure there are a bunch of other students that already play or are willing to play. I just threw the idea up there so we can get the ball rolling. If You know anyone who is down to play at least once a week let them know. I think I may send out a mass email and put up some fliers on campus to get a larger group together. At least we'll have something to do rather than stick our faces in the books all day long.

jmv10 said:
I called the insurance company to ask this question, and the rep told me to fill it out as thoroughly as possible and bring it to orientation. We are required to enroll or decline within the first two weeks; I am assuming it will be retroactive to the first day of classes. You're not too late!!

Ahh ok excellent! I'll fill it out and bring it in. Thanks a lot for the info! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.