Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy613 said:
I am a 2nd year at njms and I live in hoboken. Its a great place to live, but parking can be bad depending on where you live. There are about 10 people from each class that currently live in Hoboken, the commute is not bad, and there are lots of places to study.

The downside to Hoboken is the price, but if you search around you can find something in the 650-750 range.

Also, regading St. Mary's, even though umdnj hasn't bought it yet, it currently is a site that you can do your third year family med clerkship at (most other sites are private doctors offices...its the only one I know of that is inpatient for family med).

Congrads on your acceptances! njms is a great place :)

That's cool, Hoboken looks like a nice place to live.....where are some good places to study in Hobo? Finding something in the 650-750 range would be nice, but are those places like really crappy or can you find a decent place for that?

Members don't see this ad.

Blue Scrub said:
That's cool, Hoboken looks like a nice place to live.....where are some good places to study in Hobo? Finding something in the 650-750 range would be nice, but are those places like really crappy or can you find a decent place for that?

i looked at forest hills apts yesterday in newark...studio goes from 630/month...its a nice place i think...bout 10-15 min away.

Blue Scrub said:

I used Craigslists. I searched room shares (which means your own room just in an apartment with someone else).

It might take a while but you can definitley find something. I got a great deal, 700 a month, a brownstone with four other roomates (none go to med school, but all are in their low to mid twenties).

I have a friend in my class who also lives in Hoboken and pays 625. While these are not standard rates, they are around if search long enough.
:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy613 said:
I used Craigslists. I searched room shares (which means your own room just in an apartment with someone else).

It might take a while but you can definitley find something. I got a great deal, 700 a month, a brownstone with four other roomates (none go to med school, but all are in their low to mid twenties).

I have a friend in my class who also lives in Hoboken and pays 625. While these are not standard rates, they are around if search long enough.
:D

Cool, thanks Happy! Two of my friends recently moved to Hoboken and they also used Craigslist....So when is everyone going to start looking for a place to live?? I know there is the luncheon in June where they will discuss everything about housing, but are any of you guys going to start looking before the luncheon? Will all the good deals and places be gone after the luncheon?

Time to jump in here for the MS-I opinion on things.

The housing sitation of the 1st year class is very diverse. Many live in the suburbs (Hoboken, Nutley, Bloomfield, Montclair, etc). Biggest complaints:

1. Parking--it sucks big time. Since they started building the new apartment complex, we lost the "dirt lot" next to the Norfolk St. garage and about 100 spaces with it. Parking is an absolute nightmare if you get to school any later than 10AM.

2. Commute--Rush hour commute on 280, 1&9 and especially the GSP after the Union toll plaza coming North is an absolute nightmare. Learn the back roads, I have been told.

I live in Society Hill and lucked out on a sweet deal with rent that is $75-100 less/month for a larger apartment with a private bathroom, closer proximity to school, and more amenities than many other students. I agree with the previous comment that approximately 1/3 of the MS-I class lives in Society Hill.

As for the "need to get out of the school environment/have to have things to do around where I live" argument, I find most of that to be a non-issue. Most students own or have access to a car and travelling out of Newark to do things isn't a big deal. Most of the time the "class activities" involve lots of students leaving their suburban neighborhoods and going to NYC or Hoboken or another bar in a different suburb.

Also, forget about trying to take the PATH to school. Newark City Subway from Newark Penn is a decent option, but at night it runs infrequently. Forget about commuting on the Morris & Essex line to Broad St. It's an incredibly sketchy station. Keep in mind when selecting housing that you will have many late nights at school studying. How much of your schedule do you want public transportation to be a part of? We have a student who commutes from Manhattan, so it is definitely doable, but for the average student I would recommend against that

DrOctopus said:

The housing sitation of the 1st year class is very diverse. Many live in the suburbs (Hoboken, Nutley, Bloomfield, Montclair, etc). Biggest complaints:

1. Parking--it sucks big time. Since they started building the new apartment complex, we lost the "dirt lot" next to the Norfolk St. garage and about 100 spaces with it. Parking is an absolute nightmare if you get to school any later than 10AM.

2. Commute--Rush hour commute on 280, 1&9 and especially the GSP after the Union toll plaza coming North is an absolute nightmare. Learn the back roads, I have been told.

I live in Society Hill and lucked out on a sweet deal with rent that is $75-100 less/month for a larger apartment with a private bathroom, closer proximity to school, and more amenities than many other students. I agree with the previous comment that approximately 1/3 of the MS-I class lives in Society Hill.

As for the "need to get out of the school environment/have to have things to do around where I live" argument, I find most of that to be a non-issue. Most students own or have access to a car and travelling out of Newark to do things isn't a big deal. Most of the time the "class activities" involve lots of students leaving their suburban neighborhoods and going to NYC or Hoboken or another bar in a different suburb.

Also, forget about trying to take the PATH to school. Newark City Subway from Newark Penn is a decent option, but at night it runs infrequently. Forget about commuting on the Morris & Essex line to Broad St. It's an incredibly sketchy station. Keep in mind when selecting housing that you will have many late nights at school studying. How much of your schedule do you want public transportation to be a part of? We have a student who commutes from Manhattan, so it is definitely doable, but for the average student I would recommend against that

i saw apts at forest hills apts 650 for a studio. bout 4 miles from campus....as per mapquest. i like the place..its only for one year.

DrOctopus said:

Great advice DrOctopus but could you or anyone else please comment on the issue of saftey and security at Society Hill. Is it as dangerous as people say? Have you heard of any robberies or cars being broken into etc? Thanks again for your help

Great post Dr. Octopus, really helpful....I have a question about Society Hill: Are all the apts there 2-bedrooms? Or are there studios, 1-bedroom, 3- or 4-bedroom apts there as well?

Society Hill is really 3 separate complexes. Society Hill I is down S. Orange Ave. a little bit. Society Hill II is between 13th Ave. and W. Market Street (probably where the apartment near the "abandoned buildings" was). Society Hill III (the newest) is between Warren St. and W. Market. [These are not exact locations because I am not really familiar with the other two complexes. Most of the people who live in the complexs are well to do, professional students, or families. I haven't heard of anyone's apartment being broken into, but that being said, my room has an exterior door and there are 4 locks on it. I have heard a story about a girl who's car was broken into and another student who was robbed on campus. Both perpetrators were caught very shortly after the incidents.

The thing about Newark is that it's a city, not the greatest city, but certainly not the worst. That doesn't mean you should be out walking alone in the middle of the night, but it also doesn't mean that people are getting robbed or jumped every time you walk outside. As long as you're smart about things, you should be fine.

Today, Thursday, was MATCH DAY!

NJMS had a great match. You may be interested in some highlights. This was one of our best matches ever.

16 students matched to Emergency Medicine (including those matching to NJMS' new program)
13 to orthopedics!!!!!
22 to pediatrics
9 to radiology
12 to anesthesiology

Some of the programs other than those at NJMS included, to name a few, Duke, Children's Hospital in Philadelphia, Brown, Cornell, Jackson Memorial, Emory, NYU, Columbia, Mt Sinai (NY), Penn, Baylor, Hopkins, UCSF, Mass General.....etc. etc...

In addition 16 students participated in early match ... all 16 matched to great programs!
7 in ophthalmology
3 in urology
1 in otolaryngology
2 in neurosurgery
2 in neurology
1 in child neurology

The details by state and program will be available soon.

Best wishes,

George F. Heinrich, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions and Special Programs

Yeah, I got that email too...but I'm on the waiting list. Kinda like showing someone a delicious steak and telling them that they can't taste it. :(

Axe said:
Today, Thursday, was MATCH DAY!

NJMS had a great match. You may be interested in some highlights. This was one of our best matches ever.

16 students matched to Emergency Medicine (including those matching to NJMS' new program)
13 to orthopedics!!!!!
22 to pediatrics
9 to radiology
12 to anesthesiology

Some of the programs other than those at NJMS included, to name a few, Duke, Children's Hospital in Philadelphia, Brown, Cornell, Jackson Memorial, Emory, NYU, Columbia, Mt Sinai (NY), Penn, Baylor, Hopkins, UCSF, Mass General.....etc. etc...

In addition 16 students participated in early match ... all 16 matched to great programs!
7 in ophthalmology
3 in urology
1 in otolaryngology
2 in neurosurgery
2 in neurology
1 in child neurology

The details by state and program will be available soon.

Best wishes,

George F. Heinrich, M.D.
Associate Dean for Admissions and Special Programs

not to bad huh?

Blue Scrub said:
Great post Dr. Octopus, really helpful....I have a question about Society Hill: Are all the apts there 2-bedrooms? Or are there studios, 1-bedroom, 3- or 4-bedroom apts there as well?

there are no studio nor 1 bedroom "apts" in society hill - though the term condos have been tossed around in describing these homes, they have a townhome condo setup. Some homes are completely town home style so you dont have anyone above you OR under you. Some "condos" are two stories with a neighber either above you or below you (depending on which one you pick).

safety is always a concern but as long as you dont walk home in the middle of the night by yourself with your headphones on, its not as bad. I'm not saying its completely safe but use common sense when you are in such a city. As for society hill, their security vehicles patrol quite often. They dont just say they patrol - they actually have sensors stationed at various parts of the area and they scan the sensors to confirm that those locations have been visited. During the snow storms that we've had, they have been great at plowing our streets AND driveways AND our doorsteps.

some parts of the hill are easier to walk to from but others arent so close - so just look at the various parts of SH and decide.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey did u guys get the packet of health forms? i got it yesterday...man its gonna be a pain gettin all tat done.

When are we supposed to hear back about financial aid offers?

drguy22 said:
hey did u guys get the packet of health forms? i got it yesterday...man its gonna be a pain gettin all tat done.

Yea man, i got mine yesterday and the first thing i thought was damn this is going to be a _______ to complete

Axe said:
When are we supposed to hear back about financial aid offers?

I'm not sure but thats a good question and you might find an answer to it online at the umdnj site, but if i hear anything i'll def post it up

thehomez66 said:
Yea man, i got mine yesterday and the first thing i thought was damn this is going to be a _______ to complete

I'm not sure but thats a good question and you might find an answer to it online at the umdnj site, but if i hear anything i'll def post it up

i also got the parents day invite today....

umm bout finacial aid....i heard mid april cuz im complete already for bout 4 weeks now.

It's going to be tough for me to get the med stuff done by May 30. I wish they had told us sooner. It's hard to get appointments at my doc.

How do we check financial aid status stuff? drguy, you say you're complete 4 weeks now... what does that mean? Is there a way to check?

UDbiochem said:
It's going to be tough for me to get the med stuff done by May 30. I wish they had told us sooner. It's hard to get appointments at my doc.

How do we check financial aid status stuff? drguy, you say you're complete 4 weeks now... what does that mean? Is there a way to check?

ya i have 5/30 deadline too....but im goin to da NIH May 20, and i wont be back till august 5th...ill have to figure sumthin out...cuz they want that damn PPD test 3 months b4 school starts.

Well, by complete i mean that my fafsa is there, i filled out the UMDNJ financial aid form, and sent in supporting docs. You can check by calling the financial aid number and ask em.

so UD, since u posted here...u joinin us in august? :thumbup: :laugh:

99% sure that I will be coming to NJMS. :thumbup: I'm still waiting to hear from Penn, probaby will hear tomorrow or early this week. But it is extremely likely that early this week I will post on this thread with a wholehearted YAHOO and a joyful "I'm coming to NJMS too!"

drguy22 said:
ya i have 5/30 deadline too....but im goin to da NIH May 20, and i wont be back till august 5th...ill have to figure sumthin out...cuz they want that damn PPD test 3 months b4 school starts.

Well, by complete i mean that my fafsa is there, i filled out the UMDNJ financial aid form, and sent in supporting docs. You can check by calling the financial aid number and ask em.

so UD, since u posted here...u joinin us in august? :thumbup: :laugh:

UDbiochem said:
99% sure that I will be coming to NJMS. :thumbup: I'm still waiting to hear from Penn, probaby will hear tomorrow or early this week. But it is extremely likely that early this week I will post on this thread with a wholehearted YAHOO and a joyful "I'm coming to NJMS too!"
:cool:

drguy22 said:
i also got the parents day invite today....

umm bout finacial aid....i heard mid april cuz im complete already for bout 4 weeks now.

Yup just got that parents thing too last week....my parents said they're going too, so that's cool they'll get to see the school... Random question, but does anyone know what the deal is with the White Coat Ceremony? Is just family invited, or can friends or anyone come as well?

Blue Scrub said:
Yup just got that parents thing too last week....my parents said they're going too, so that's cool they'll get to see the school... Random question, but does anyone know what the deal is with the White Coat Ceremony? Is just family invited, or can friends or anyone come as well?

family and friends :cool:

drguy22 said:
family and friends :cool:

Sweet! Yeah I got the physical forms as well....and I tried to call for an appt today, but for some reason, my doctor's office was closed today :confused: I'll try calling tomorrow.....hey DrGuy, have you sent in official transcripts yet to NJMS? Maybe I should do that soon, i hate all those horror stories about transcripts being lost in the mail or your school taking forever to send them out

Blue Scrub said:
Sweet! Yeah I got the physical forms as well....and I tried to call for an appt today, but for some reason, my doctor's office was closed today :confused: I'll try calling tomorrow.....hey DrGuy, have you sent in official transcripts yet to NJMS? Maybe I should do that soon, i hate all those horror stories about transcripts being lost in the mail or your school taking forever to send them out

i graduate in may...so thats when ill send out the final transcript. but they have a partial one though. i sent it when i applied to the BA/MD.

Blue Scrub said:

I didn't know had to send in our final official transcript :eek: good think you guys mentioned it, but like drguy said, is it ok if i send mine in after graduation as well, or is that too late?

just ask for a copy sent post grad. many registrar offices offer that service for applicants to grad school. by the way, the closer august gets the longer it seems to take.

Anyone know how long we have to self-fund until the financial aid kicks in?

WHAT'S UP GUYS?!!!

Waitlisted at Penn, will be attending NJMS in August! I'm very excited about it, I got such a good vibe from the school!!!

It's going to be tight for me to get the physical stuff done before May 30th... so much paperwork!

Axe said:
Anyone know how long we have to self-fund until the financial aid kicks in?

most people wont get their checks until mid august so you need to cover the first few weeks of august on your own

UDbiochem said:
WHAT'S UP GUYS?!!!

Waitlisted at Penn, will be attending NJMS in August! I'm very excited about it, I got such a good vibe from the school!!!

It's going to be tight for me to get the physical stuff done before May 30th... so much paperwork!

finally! welcome!! :thumbup: :cool:

UDbiochem said:
WHAT'S UP GUYS?!!!

Congrats and welcome!! One question: What will happen if you get off the waitlist at Penn?

Blue Scrub said:
Congrats and welcome!! One question: What will happen if you get off the waitlist at Penn?

If Penn took me off the waitlist really soon and offered me money (not going to happen), I'd consider it. But I've gotten nothing but love from NJMS and very little love from Penn. Lately I've really felt I wasn't cut out for the ivy league anyway. And I know some cool people who are probably going to NJMS too.

But yeah... 99.9999999999% sure going to NJMS! I want to start planning my life next year and stuff soon.

So all you NJMSers, do you think it'd be reasonable to live at home first year? Would commuting be soo horrible if I commuted from Bergen County for a while? I'm trying to save money and it's possible I might try to live at home for a little while.

commuting from home can be done in your first year - if your commute is longer than 30minutes non-traffic, i wouldnt recommend it.

also with commuting you need to manage your schedule very tightly - you lose a lot of time commuting and you can't afford to lose studying time by adding some unscheduled relaxation every so often.

UDbiochem said:
If Penn took me off the waitlist really soon and offered me money (not going to happen), I'd consider it. But I've gotten nothing but love from NJMS and very little love from Penn. Lately I've really felt I wasn't cut out for the ivy league anyway. And I know some cool people who are probably going to NJMS too.

But yeah... 99.9999999999% sure going to NJMS! I want to start planning my life next year and stuff soon.

So all you NJMSers, do you think it'd be reasonable to live at home first year? Would commuting be soo horrible if I commuted from Bergen County for a while? I'm trying to save money and it's possible I might try to live at home for a little while.

Welcome, and about commutting, I wouldn't recommend it, just like 4ever said, it takes alot of time out of your day and its just a hastle that can add more unneeded stress to your life. Also, you won't get the same experience out of med school if you lived at home, the same goes for college. And if funds are tight, hopefully FAFSA will help you out and pay for your housing. But either way welcome classmate :)

UDbiochem said:

That's a pretty good percentage! :) As far as saving yourself some money, I think it would be fine to commute as long as the commute doesn't kill you (more than 30-45 min), and as long as it doesnt affect your studying...otherwise we all know the perks that come with living at home...

Blue Scrub said:
That's a pretty good percentage! :) As far as saving yourself some money, I think it would be fine to commute as long as the commute doesn't kill you (more than 30-45 min), and as long as it doesnt affect your studying...otherwise we all know the perks that come with living at home...

It's probably a 20-30 minute drive, not too bad. I figure if I can save a little the first year, I should. If I meet an awesome roommate at housing day, this might change. :) I'll consider all my options.

I'm really truly psyched to be in this class, you all. August, come fast!!

UDbiochem said:
It's probably a 20-30 minute drive, not too bad. I figure if I can save a little the first year, I should. If I meet an awesome roommate at housing day, this might change. :) I'll consider all my options.

I'm really truly psyched to be in this class, you all. August, come fast!!

I hopefully am speaking for everyone when I say, "We're psyched to be your classmates!! :) " But yeah, I'm totally excited for August to come, I have no doubts you guys and the rest of our classmates will make for a great next 4 years!! But before we start, let's have some fun this summer!! Whatever you're doing this summer, make time to relax and enjoy everything before we start....i cant wait guys!!

4 Ever or to any other NJMSers,

Is there any books and supplies that are must haves for the first semester and stuff we can safely punt or avoid buying. I want to see if I can pick up stuff for cheap.

Man when is NJMS going to throw us a bone and send us some practical info. Glossy marketing brochures aimed at the premders dont count :laugh:.

Axe said:

Is there any books and supplies that are must haves for the first semester and stuff we can safely punt or avoid buying. I want to see if I can pick up stuff for cheap.
ya id like to know too....

btw another email from Dr. H today....

ummm..also anyone know when NJMS starts to send scholarship info out...I want one :)

I figure they'll give us financial aid news soon... since some people probably are trying to choose schools.

I got a letter telling me I had something missing yesterday, so I'm assuming they're doing reviews soon.

UDbiochem said:
I figure they'll give us financial aid news soon... since some people probably are trying to choose schools.

I got a letter telling me I had something missing yesterday, so I'm assuming they're doing reviews soon.

cool...i hope they do it soon..i really wanna know if I got a scholarship.... :luck:

drguy22 said:
cool...i hope they do it soon..i really wanna know if I got a scholarship.... :luck:

A scholarship would be nice surprise.... :) Do you know how much scholaraship aid they give out? I doubt I'd get one, just curious.

UDbiochem said:
A scholarship would be nice surprise.... :) Do you know how much scholaraship aid they give out? I doubt I'd get one, just curious.
i know for a fact that there are 10 full rides PLUS ~$1200 stipend/month....thats the humanistic one...im sure that there are others though.

drguy22 said:
i know for a fact that there are 10 full rides PLUS ~$1200 stipend/month....thats the humanistic one...im sure that there are others though.

WHOA..... good luck and congrats to the people who get those!

from what i know, most of those scholarships are based on academic performace - so GPA and MCAT are big. Break into the 35+ range and you'll have a good shot for one. There arent really any other big scholarships from the school to be given out

Axe said:

Man when is NJMS going to throw us a bone and send us some practical info. Glossy marketing brochures aimed at the premders dont count :laugh:.

The 3 big books that you can't avoid are :

- Moore's clinical anatomy
- Netters Anatomy Atlas (there are others but this is everyones favorite - combined with lab time, you can do really well on practicals with this)
- Grant's Dissector

every year AMSA bribes new members by giving away netters by joining their organization. Both the membership and the book cost the same so if you really want to be AMSA, you get the added benefit. For others, they choose to just buy the book and have nothing to do with the organization

during the luncheons they also usually give away a free Netter's or two for anyone who's birthday falls on that day or around that day

so if you want, you can hold off on the netters

Aside from that, there are plenty other anatomy books that can put a dent in your wallet if you go book happy. I unfortunately spent more than i should have on books and i believe i have a total of about 8 anatomy related books in my library. Combined with 3 biochem/genetics books and thats easily over 500dollars. most of my books sit collecting dust. my suggestion is to RESIST THE URGE TO BUY NUMEROUS BOOKS - THERE ARE BOOK SALES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR WHERE YOU CAN BUY THE BOOKS FOR MUCH CHEAPER!!!

if you really WANT to buy a book, get Moore's anatomy to satisfy your itch.

as for MGM class, i personally think u dont need ANY books besides some pre-test and a BRS book to complement. the class is heavily based off from the slides presented in class

you can ask about the Physician's core class at a later time

4 Ever said:
The 3 big books that you can't avoid are :

- Moore's clinical anatomy
- Netters Anatomy Atlas (there are others but this is everyones favorite - combined with lab time, you can do really well on practicals with this)
- Grant's Dissector

every year AMSA bribes new members by giving away netters by joining their organization. Both the membership and the book cost the same so if you really want to be AMSA, you get the added benefit. For others, they choose to just buy the book and have nothing to do with the organization

during the luncheons they also usually give away a free Netter's or two for anyone who's birthday falls on that day or around that day

so if you want, you can hold off on the netters

Aside from that, there are plenty other anatomy books that can put a dent in your wallet if you go book happy. I unfortunately spent more than i should have on books and i believe i have a total of about 8 anatomy related books in my library. Combined with 3 biochem/genetics books and thats easily over 500dollars. most of my books sit collecting dust. my suggestion is to RESIST THE URGE TO BUY NUMEROUS BOOKS - THERE ARE BOOK SALES AT THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR WHERE YOU CAN BUY THE BOOKS FOR MUCH CHEAPER!!!

if you really WANT to buy a book, get Moore's anatomy to satisfy your itch.

as for MGM class, i personally think u dont need ANY books besides some pre-test and a BRS book to complement. the class is heavily based off from the slides presented in class

you can ask about the Physician's core class at a later time

Very helpful post, thanks a lot 4ever :thumbup:

And I had a quick off topic question, does anybody know if NJMS has a student gym? or will the student gym be built under the new housing complex they are putting up for next year? Thanks

thehomez66 said:
Very helpful post, thanks a lot 4ever :thumbup:

And I had a quick off topic question, does anybody know if NJMS has a student gym? or will the student gym be built under the new housing complex they are putting up for next year? Thanks
there will a be a fitness facility in the new housing complex :)