Official Njms Class Of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mrgq912 said:
I had my interview just before christmas on Dec. 21st, and was wondering how long it would take to receive a reply from the admissions office? How long did you guy's have to wait to hear back after your interview. I heard of cases were people heard within 2 -3 weeks post interview.

I understand that their is a lunch tomorrow for the accepted students so far. If someone could post back of what they hear, that would be great. I really hope the class is not full, cause NJMS is really my top choice.

I have a feeling that a lot of my friends who applied to NJMS are prolly gonna go elsewhere. That should open up a lot of spots. Most overqualified applicants in NJ apply to it as a backup so I'd imagine there would be a lot of waitlist movement.

Members don't see this ad.

mrgq912 said:
I had my interview just before christmas on Dec. 21st, and was wondering how long it would take to receive a reply from the admissions office? How long did you guy's have to wait to hear back after your interview. I heard of cases were people heard within 2 -3 weeks post interview.

I understand that their is a lunch tomorrow for the accepted students so far. If someone could post back of what they hear, that would be great. I really hope the class is not full, cause NJMS is really my top choice.

well...Public Enemy met wit Dr. H today and he was told that the class was pretty much full for now...and that they are gonna wait to accept anyone soooooo its gonna be a while....

anyone new? i figured ill bump this one cuz there are soo many others like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the bumps DrGuy, otherwise I may not have seen this thread! Anyway, lets try to keep this thread up so other future/potential future NJMSers can post...so when 's the next luncheon, June right? Anyone know what kind of stuff will be talked about at that luncheon? Im guessing maybe more detailed stuff on housing and financial aid...

Blue Scrub said:
thanks for the bumps DrGuy, otherwise I may not have seen this thread! Anyway, lets try to keep this thread up so other future/potential future NJMSers can post...so when 's the next luncheon, June right? Anyone know what kind of stuff will be talked about at that luncheon? Im guessing maybe more detailed stuff on housing and financial aid...

ya...im pretty sure i heard Dr. H say june. Im gonna try to make it...i got a intership at the NIH for the summer...so i gotta see when i can make it back home...and ya its housing day i think. This is also where we can meet the official class of 2009 :thumbup:

man...this semester is going WAY tooooo slow!!!!

tell me about it....well im working right now, but im really getting bored of my job, and it makes me even more eager to start...August seems pretty far as of now but I know the time will fly by... do you have any idea where you want to live? Close by or are you thinking about commuting? Im torn right now, not sure what I want to do....

Blue Scrub said:
tell me about it....well im working right now, but im really getting bored of my job, and it makes me even more eager to start...August seems pretty far as of now but I know the time will fly by... do you have any idea where you want to live? Close by or are you thinking about commuting? Im torn right now, not sure what I want to do....
hahaha...i aint commuting...i live near RWJ, im thinkin of gettin a place close by...my dad has a few friends in the housing authority in newark....hes gonna ask around. Afterall, its only for one year, cuz after that we are gonna get those hot apts. CONNECTED to the school.

drguy22 said:
hahaha...i aint commuting...i live near RWJ, im thinkin of gettin a place close by...my dad has a few friends in the housing authority in newark....hes gonna ask around. Afterall, its only for one year, cuz after that we are gonna get those hot apts. CONNECTED to the school.

As someone who commutes to the school every day for work, I maintain the the drive from the Hoboken/jersey City area is relatively harmless. Easily Under a half-hour - been doing it for 6 months now. I've also been meeting more and more people at this school, and very few seem excited about living in newark. (very few actually live in Newark either) Those that do have told me much about the town. Most see living near by the school as something of a sacrifice. I love NJMS, but after living my nights and weekends in such a vibrant area as Hoboken and spending my work days around NJMS, I'll tell ya that Newark just doesn't have much to offer your average twenty-something-year old. Granted we will be spending a tremendous portion of our time studying in and around NJMS, making it the only place we ever see would drive me at least somewhat stir-crazy.

(I draw my experience from living across the street from Gtown Med school while at the Georgetown SMP. I would spend weeks in essentially the same building - w/ same people. Everything had to do with med school classes - drove me and many like me nearly nuts. I wish I had lived further off from the school... would have been easier to cope.)

Anyhow, I just want to make sure you guys consider the area before you get quite so fixated on living Newark. It will be neccessary to separate ourselves from our work environment from time to time... don't mean to rile you up or anything - just a thought.

dbpatto said:
As someone who commutes to the school every day for work, I maintain the the drive from the Hoboken/jersey City area is relatively harmless. Easily Under a half-hour - been doing it for 6 months now. I've also been meeting more and more people at this school, and very few seem excited about living in newark. (very few actually live in Newark either) Those that do have told me much about the town. Most see living near by the school as something of a sacrifice. I love NJMS, but after living my nights and weekends in such a vibrant area as Hoboken and spending my work days around NJMS, I'll tell ya that Newark just doesn't have much to offer your average twenty-something-year old. Granted we will be spending a tremendous portion of our time studying in and around NJMS, making it the only place we ever see would drive me at least somewhat stir-crazy.

(I draw my experience from living across the street from Gtown Med school while at the Georgetown SMP. I would spend weeks in essentially the same building - w/ same people. Everything had to do with med school classes - drove me and many like me nearly nuts. I wish I had lived further off from the school... would have been easier to cope.)

Anyhow, I just want to make sure you guys consider the area before you get quite so fixated on living Newark. It will be neccessary to separate ourselves from our work environment from time to time... don't mean to rile you up or anything - just a thought.

ur rite...i used to live in JC when i was a kid then moved to middlesex county in 3rd grade....can you give a short listing of towns that are about say 15min away from NJMS? its really only for one year, i cant wait for those dorms.

drguy22 said:
ur rite...i used to live in JC when i was a kid then moved to middlesex county in 3rd grade....can you give a short listing of towns that are about say 15min away from NJMS? its really only for one year, i cant wait for those dorms.

Well I'm better with towns immediately east of Newark, not so much with towns any other directiosn :)

So east of Newark is Bayonne, Union, Hoboken, Jersey City - although Jersey City and Hoboken are the only areas that have that "young professional" type crowd living there - via there proximity to the Path trains no doubt.
North of Newark is kearny
There are tons of places west of Newark though where I'm sure the cost of houseing isn't so high. Like East, South and West Orange - Hillside not too far off. Milburn and Maplewood are pretty nice areas. Not too much to the south of Newark

dbpatto said:
Well I'm better with towns immediately east of Newark, not so much with towns any other directiosn :)

So east of Newark is Bayonne, Union, Hoboken, Jersey City - although Jersey City and Hoboken are the only areas that have that "young professional" type crowd living there - via there proximity to the Path trains no doubt.
North of Newark is kearny
There are tons of places west of Newark though where I'm sure the cost of houseing isn't so high. Like East, South and West Orange - Hillside not too far off. Milburn and Maplewood are pretty nice areas. Not too much to the south of Newark
thnx...btw dbpatto...why dont u have NJMS class of 2009 in ur signature :thumbup: ?

Just to keep this thread alive...

Okay, so I've had two interviews already, made sure to make Dr. H my best bud, and have been calling every three weeks. Anything else anyone else can think of? I figure it's just the wait now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Timmythemic22 said:
Just to keep this thread alive...

Okay, so I've had two interviews already, made sure to make Dr. H my best bud, and have been calling every three weeks. Anything else anyone else can think of? I figure it's just the wait now.

ummm....u got any new letters or recs? any new grades? any new activities? ask Dr. H via email whats going on. I sent him an email last night and he responded within 2 hrs.

Good luck man :luck: im rootin for ya! :thumbup:

Yeah if you can keep in contact with Dr. H via snailmail or email, that would be a huge advantage...I wrote a bunch of letters, as well as emailed him with updates, and he told me later on that it def helped me get in....good luck man, hope to see you in August!! We're all pullin for ya!

drguy22 said:
thnx...btw dbpatto...why dont u have NJMS class of 2009 in ur signature :thumbup: ?

Hrmmm, I tend to have a more subdued sense of enthusiasm for most things, say short of a new girlfriend or something. - that and I'm not 100% sure I'll be attending NJMS. I recently found that several of my former Undergrad classmates go to RWJ - all of whom seem remarkably pleased with their experiences there. So if I hear back from RWJ that I got in, (interviewed several weeks ago) I'll take a serious look back at both the schools. Until then, I will just make the assumption that NJMS is where I'm headed. (And it most likely is of course, but we'll see.)

Both RWJ and NJMS are great schools, so I think anyone who goes to either school will speak favorably of their experiences there...either way, you cant go wrong! :thumbup:

davidthegnome said:
What's up classmates!
welcome!!...one problem...minor one...but...can u pls make ur sig UMDNJ-NJMS c/o 2009:) :D

haha...gladly. i've seen you guys have been talking about living arrangements. so far i have looked in the hoboken/jersey city/weehawken area only to have my jaw drop onto my floor over the cost. any ideas come to the rest of you so far?

congrats Davidthegnome!! when were you accepted to NJMS? Am I just oblivious? Anyway, yeah I've been around the Hoboken/Jersey City area and it is really expensive....i'd like to live in Hoboken but I'd have to look hard for an affordable place....there are also nice places in jersey city, like around grove street...what do you guys think?

Blue Scrub said:
congrats Davidthegnome!! when were you accepted to NJMS? Am I just oblivious? Anyway, yeah I've been around the Hoboken/Jersey City area and it is really expensive....i'd like to live in Hoboken but I'd have to look hard for an affordable place....there are also nice places in jersey city, like around grove street...what do you guys think?

i have found places where the rent is bout 700/month..i dont think its that bad, its one bedroom apt. wat u guys think? Jersey city is kinda borin for me..i used to live there when i was a kid...but ima still lookin into things..june 3rd will help, cuz its housing day.

thanks! i actually got accepted back in oct. but i have been debating between here and drexel until recently. i guess when it came down to it i realized njms is where i would be happiest at and make the most of my med school experience. plus getting instate tuition helps :D ! i'm glad i took the time to make my decision. when njms is under the microscope, and trust me i put it there, you really see how great of a school it is. i saw drguy is doing nih summer research, very cool, anyone else planning anything?

davidthegnome said:
thanks! i actually got accepted back in oct. but i have been debating between here and drexel until recently. i guess when it came down to it i realized njms is where i would be happiest at and make the most of my med school experience. plus getting instate tuition helps :D ! i'm glad i took the time to make my decision. when njms is under the microscope, and trust me i put it there, you really see how great of a school it is. i saw drguy is doing nih summer research, very cool, anyone else planning anything?

Yeah I just got a great feeling from the school, not to mention it is a great state school to go to for academics and clinical training....Im actually planning a trip to Europe for the summer, just the opposite of DrGuy! :D
I figure its a good time to go and site see, relax, before med school starts....I never got the chance to study abroad either so I think its a good time to do it....you said you found places for $700, was that in Hoboken or JC? That's not a bad price at all..

Hey guys, I'm also in the '09 class, yay :)

About housing, I'm pretty sure there is a 'Housing Day' where they hook us up with roomates and tell us where to look for apartments and such, but I haven't heard of the date when this will be taking place. Does anybody know when they are planning on having it? Thanks in advance.

Wassup gents and ladies. Class of 09 here too.

I can answer questions about Hoboken and JC because I just recently leased an apartment in JC near the Exchange place stop on the PATH. I scoped out both areas pretty closely. JC is a pretty big place and theres some nice spots (near the waterfront, downtown near Hamilton Park, and Pavonia) and some crappy places near the Journal Square stop and the Heights section near Hoboken. The best part of both areas is that you can be in the Village or Midtown in less than 15 minutes on the PATH so its basically like going to medical school in Manhattan.

If you want to live on your own, JC is probably more likely and its cheaper the more west you go. You're defineltly going to need a roomate to swing a place in Hoboken but its a great place to live considering how yuppie it is.

Commute time to NJMS is only 20-25 minutes on the 1/9 from JC and Hoboken. On the PATH, Exchange Place, Grove, and JSQ go directlty to Penn at Newark where the shuttle runs during the weekdays to school.

I read that NJMS is purchsing St. Mary's in Hoboken so it might be possible clinical rotation site in addition to University and Hackensack. I think the hospital in JC got punted to Mt. Sinai.

thehomez66 said:
Hey guys, I'm also in the '09 class, yay :)

About housing, I'm pretty sure there is a 'Housing Day' where they hook us up with roomates and tell us where to look for apartments and such, but I haven't heard of the date when this will be taking place. Does anybody know when they are planning on having it? Thanks in advance.
june 3rd.

welcome btw...finally its nice to see our classmates coming out of hiding:) :thumbup: :laugh:

I've posted numerous times about how the commute from NJMS into the Hoboken/JC area isn't so bad, but yesterday was the worst traffic experience I've ever had. Indulge me for a second:

To put this in perspective, according to mapquest, I live approximately 9 miles from NJMS in Hoboken. I take the 1&9 to NJMS in the morning and cut through downtown Newark up Raymond and Market street to the school. NJMS is much closer to the entrance to 280 though, so in the evenings to avoid traffic I take 280 to 580 and back on the 1&9 just before it enters the Holland Tunnel entrance.

OK, so it was warm and raining yesterday morning, then sleet, then heavy snow that didn't seem to be sticking. Once the snow became thick I decided it was time to go home - I left NJMS around 2:30 PM. Want to guess what time I pulled up in front of my apartment in Hoboken?! 8:15 PM!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, I sat on the road for nearly 6 hours yesterday to go less than 10 miles!!!!!!! There were so many accidents that 280 was a parking lot, as was 580 and forget about 1&9... the temperature dropped so quickly that all the precipitation froze immediately by about 3PM. We were driving on literally 2 inches of ice. The radio mentioned hundreds of accidents.

To be fair though, the radio networks that I was listening too, as I sat for hours with nothing to do in my car, mentioned that traffic yesterday was the worst they'd seen in many years, so this is by no means a common occurence. Man was it awful though...

drguy22 said:
june 3rd.

welcome btw...finally its nice to see our classmates coming out of hiding:) :thumbup: :laugh:

and it was a good idea to start this thread, we get to kinda meet eachother before we actually start :thumbup:

dbpatto said:
I've posted numerous times about how the commute from NJMS into the Hoboken/JC area isn't so bad, but yesterday was the worst traffic experience I've ever had. Indulge me for a second:

To put this in perspective, according to mapquest, I live approximately 9 miles from NJMS in Hoboken. I take the 1&9 to NJMS in the morning and cut through downtown Newark up Raymond and Market street to the school. NJMS is much closer to the entrance to 280 though, so in the evenings to avoid traffic I take 280 to 580 and back on the 1&9 just before it enters the Holland Tunnel entrance.

OK, so it was warm and raining yesterday morning, then sleet, then heavy snow that didn't seem to be sticking. Once the snow became thick I decided it was time to go home - I left NJMS around 2:30 PM. Want to guess what time I pulled up in front of my apartment in Hoboken?! 8:15 PM!!!!!!!!!!!

That's right, I sat on the road for nearly 6 hours yesterday to go less than 10 miles!!!!!!! There were so many accidents that 280 was a parking lot, as was 580 and forget about 1&9... the temperature dropped so quickly that all the precipitation froze immediately by about 3PM. We were driving on literally 2 inches of ice. The radio mentioned hundreds of accidents.

To be fair though, the radio networks that I was listening too, as I sat for hours with nothing to do in my car, mentioned that traffic yesterday was the worst they'd seen in many years, so this is by no means a common occurence. Man was it awful though...

and dbpatto, that sounds pretty terrible. My friend actually had a similar experience the other day where it took him 4 hrs to drive 8 miles, pretty rediculous, but as you mentioned not a common occurrance.

And about housing, I don't know if this has been answered yet, but whats wrong with Society Hill? I know the area is bad and all but is it really THAT bad? And if anybody actually lives there what has your experience been like and would you recommend for it or against it? Thanks again

What's up future new classmates! About the housing thing, I think during the next luncheon in June, all the housing stuff will be discussed....I have nothing against Society Hill, I hear its a pretty nice place to live....the only thing is I kind of like having stuff around me, like restaurants, bars, a video rental place, stuff like that, and I hear there's not much around Society Hill....but the good thing is it is just across the street from the school, so its kind of a give and take thing I guess.....Im not sure though, I might end up living there anyway, we'll see....

dbpatto, so you live in Hoboken? Do you live with anyone else? How is the rent? And is it tough to find a place to park your car? that is, unless you have a parking spot or something....just interested since Hoboken is a sweet place to live! :)

Sorry to hear about the 6hr commute, that totally sux....I feel your pain, I dont think I've waited that long to drive 8 miles though :eek:

Blue Scrub said:
What's up future new classmates! About the housing thing, I think during the next luncheon in June, all the housing stuff will be discussed....I have nothing against Society Hill, I hear its a pretty nice place to live....the only thing is I kind of like having stuff around me, like restaurants, bars, a video rental place, stuff like that, and I hear there's not much around Society Hill....but the good thing is it is just across the street from the school, so its kind of a give and take thing I guess.....Im not sure though, I might end up living there anyway, we'll see....

I totally agree with what you said, and its still up in the air for me too. Right now I go to TCNJ and me and my roomates live about 10-15 minutes from the school, probably the farthest commute of all the commuters minus the ones that live at home with their parents, and I love where we live. Its a much nicer area, more things to do, shoping malls, movies, restaruants, etc and that more than makes up for the commute. So I think it might be a better choice to live in hoboken or another neighboring town for those reasons amongst others. Plus I hear Society Hill is quite costly.

Well I have a roommate in Hoboken - we each pay about 900 a month. Incredibly nice apartment though - located way off center from the town up around 10th and Jefferson. Mostly open lots (with luxury apartment buildings all set to go up) surround us, so the parking on the street is no problem. There's a brand new Shoprite only a few blocks away as well. (video store, local retraunts, local bars, etc... are all within a few minutes walking distance.) It was a pretty lucky find actually, especially for hoboken. I'm not sure if I'd keep the apt for next year, but it's just such a greatplace to be. Who knows... If you'd like to know more about the area feel free to PM. I'd be happy to give you the name/number of the company that found the apartment for us.

by the way, anyone who reads on the withdrawl thread that i'm withdrawling form njms please ignore it, its definitely NOT going to happen.

Axe said:
I read that NJMS is purchsing St. Mary's in Hoboken so it might be possible clinical rotation site in addition to University and Hackensack. I think the hospital in JC got punted to Mt. Sinai.

YA!!! i was born at St. Mary's:) its nice to know my med skools gonna buy it! :thumbup:

read this! just came out yesterday!

External Research Awards Climb to Unprecedented Amounts
03/08/2005
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
NJMS has nearly doubled its extramural research awards portfolio within the last five years, with external awards totaling more than $104 million for Fiscal Year 2004. In Fiscal Year 2003, research awards reached $64.9 million, up from $38.2 million in 2002. Such growth in funding is helping to foster research collaborations between individual investigators and departments. In addition, many NJMS clinical researchers are serving as principal investigators for major NIH-funded clinical trials and patient-care initiatives.

Hello all, this is my first time posting on this thread but I am also a class of 2009 incoming freshman. I saw one apt today that is literally one block away from Penn station. Convenient to take the city subway to classes, but I kinda like the idea of living one block away from school. I'm doing an internship this summer at the hospital so I need a place to move in by May 1. I like Society Hill in that its convenient, newly furbished, and includes washer and dryer (no hiking up four blocks to do my laundry). I'm curious as to what other locations you all are considering. I keep checking out the newark housing postings and it seems like the range is about 650-700 for a room. Are there any other sites where ppl post available rooms in society hill or in newark? Thx.

monalisa83 said:
Hello all, this is my first time posting on this thread but I am also a class of 2009 incoming freshman. I saw one apt today that is literally one block away from Penn station. Convenient to take the city subway to classes, but I kinda like the idea of living one block away from school. I'm doing an internship this summer at the hospital so I need a place to move in by May 1. I like Society Hill in that its convenient, newly furbished, and includes washer and dryer (no hiking up four blocks to do my laundry). I'm curious as to what other locations you all are considering. I keep checking out the newark housing postings and it seems like the range is about 650-700 for a room. Are there any other sites where ppl post available rooms in society hill or in newark? Thx.

hahaha..finally a female!...at least thats wat i get from ur name :thumbup: i just use rent.com. Welcome! this should be a fun 4 yrs!

drguy22 said:
hahaha..finally a female!...at least thats wat i get from ur name :thumbup: i just use rent.com. Welcome! this should be a fun 4 yrs!
hey thx alot i'll check it out :)

if you're looking for places in society hill or ironbound, checkout the student housing forum right off the umdnj page. a lot of people post apts available on there, also people looking for roommates.

PublicEnemy said:
if you're looking for places in society hill or ironbound, checkout the student housing forum right off the umdnj page. a lot of people post apts available on there, also people looking for roommates.

Could you possibly hook us up with a link to the forum? couldn't find it after searching around for a while, thanks

PublicEnemy said:

Thanks alot for the links and best of luck to you with the admissions process

monalisa83 said:
Hey thx.. im going to see an apt tonite :) price seems reasonable 1 block from UMDNJ.. we'll see (crossing fingers)

Let us know how things go :thumbup: or :thumbdown:

Yeha so I got there and the ad said the apt was like a block away from UMDNJ.. so Im thinking great.. and the price was so awesome.. as I walk up the block to the street it suddenly became really dark.. and really quiet.. I continued and passed several abandoned buildings ... and felt goosebumps (not just because it was cold).. just didnt get a good vibe.. so I paused and turned around. I called the owner of the apt and told her the first thing that came to mind..."umm this place is too freaky" .. yeah i couldnt think of nething better to say.. :)
oh well.. still hoping for something in Society Hill (crossing fingers).. and to top it off the apt wasnt a block away from UMDNJ... :)

monalisa83 said:
Yeha so I got there and the ad said the apt was like a block away from UMDNJ.. so Im thinking great.. and the price was so awesome.. as I walk up the block to the street it suddenly became really dark.. and really quiet.. I continued and passed several abandoned buildings ... and felt goosebumps (not just because it was cold).. just didnt get a good vibe.. so I paused and turned around. I called the owner of the apt and told her the first thing that came to mind..."umm this place is too freaky" .. yeah i couldnt think of nething better to say.. :)
oh well.. still hoping for something in Society Hill (crossing fingers).. and to top it off the apt wasnt a block away from UMDNJ... :)

lol..ya u gotta be careful...i called the student affairs office today and they told me that they were putting something regarding housing together and will send something out in April....i dont know what though.

I am a 2nd year at njms and I live in hoboken. Its a great place to live, but parking can be bad depending on where you live. There are about 10 people from each class that currently live in Hoboken, the commute is not bad, and there are lots of places to study.

The downside to Hoboken is the price, but if you search around you can find something in the 650-750 range.

Also, regading St. Mary's, even though umdnj hasn't bought it yet, it currently is a site that you can do your third year family med clerkship at (most other sites are private doctors offices...its the only one I know of that is inpatient for family med).

Congrads on your acceptances! njms is a great place :)

Happy613 said:
I am a 2nd year at njms and I live in hoboken. Its a great place to live, but parking can be bad depending on where you live. There are about 10 people from each class that currently live in Hoboken, the commute is not bad, and there are lots of places to study.

The downside to Hoboken is the price, but if you search around you can find something in the 650-750 range.
How did you go about getting up apt in Hoboken? Do you have roomies?

drguy22 said:
lol..ya u gotta be careful...i called the student affairs office today and they told me that they were putting something regarding housing together and will send something out in April....i dont know what though.
Is this the same thing as housing day? Housing Day is in June rite?