**Official Maryland Class of 2022 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, so I am currently finishing my first semester of my postbacc masters at George Mason University and I am projected to end with a 3.8-9 semester GPA (taking courses in Biochemistry, Biostat, Histology, and a 1 credit course). Would it be beneficial to send the admissions office an update email especially since I am still waiting to hear back on whether or not I got accepted when i interviewed back in November? If yes, then how soon should I send the email?

Members don't see this ad.

Question, so I am currently finishing my first semester of my postbacc masters at George Mason University and I am projected to end with a 3.8-9 semester GPA (taking courses in Biochemistry, Biostat, Histology, and a 1 credit course). Would it be beneficial to send the admissions office an update email especially since I am still waiting to hear back on whether or not I got accepted when i interviewed back in November? If yes, then how soon should I send the email?
Current D2 here, absolutely yes and ASAP

Just curious how do dental students study? like in undergrad, we had to buy books for all courses, read the chapter material before class and take notes on it, come to class, and study more classnotes. With dental school, where can you find a list of textbooks you need? Are we required to buy textbooks for each courses (I am concerned because I saw online that one semester is around 30 credits -- that is a lot of books!!)
we rarely use text book

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious how do dental students study? like in undergrad, we had to buy books for all courses, read the chapter material before class and take notes on it, come to class, and study more classnotes. With dental school, where can you find a list of textbooks you need? Are we required to buy textbooks for each courses (I am concerned because I saw online that one semester is around 30 credits -- that is a lot of books!!)

We use mediasite and powerpoints. Similar to undergrad, some people make study guides and share them. Most classes have a notes system/group where members take turns annoting the lectures. In regards to Mediasite, our lectures are recorded and you can rewatch at a faster speed. I personally watch on 2-4x depending on the lecturer

You should wait until your grades are finalized and your GPA reflects that. You and all applicants will upload your AADSAS application in the new year with fall grades.

I would send ONE email detailing any changes to your app since you initially applied and emphasis your desire to attend the school. Keep it cool and concise. There is not a major rush. The school goes on break starting Thursday night so there is a very low/unlikely chance anyone will hear back until January.

Have any international students been contacted by the international office?

Received #6 interview for Feb 26th this morning. I am so grateful but it is so late. Do you all think I have a chance since it is so late?

Reactions: 1 users
Received #6 interview for Feb 26th this morning. I am so grateful but it is so late. Do you all think I have a chance since it is so late?
They offered you an interview so of course you have a chance

Just got my invite as well - scheduled for Jan 17. I've interviewed at two other schools and haven't gotten in to either yet, so I'm a little worried. I know it's still early and only the first round of acceptances has been given out, but does anyone have any advice or reasons interviews don't go well? (I thought both of mine were fine, but maybe I was too bubbly or personal? Not interesting enough? Help!)

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they are sending out another round of decisions this week? I know they sent them last week! Congrats to all who were accepted btw!

Does anyone know if they are sending out another round of decisions this week? I know they sent them last week! Congrats to all who were accepted btw!

Probably not since it is so close to the break and school will be closed. Meaning little time to answer questions. They like to give people at least two weeks to think things over

I scheduled it for January 24th. Hopefully! So Blessed to have this opportunity!
How did you get an earlier interview? Im interviewing late in Jan and would love to get in sooner. Think calling and seeing if they have anything earlier would be okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you get an earlier interview? Im interviewing late in Jan and would love to get in sooner. Think calling and seeing if they have anything earlier would be okay?

Hey! Yeah they tentatively gave me Feb 21 via email but I wanted earlier. So I called and the earliest they had was Jan 24th. boom!

Does anyone have the annual expense for all four years?

Trying to decide between Maryland and Penn. I am out of state for both and will be for 4 years. From the breakdown I was given at interviews, Maryland is a bit more pricey than Penn. Anyone in the same boat?

I would recommend looking at the averages amount of debt students actually graduate with vs the overestimated cost they provide you.
UMB Dental grads had 203,267 in 2015, then the average debt hovered around 228k in 2016 and 2017. source: Graduating Debt

In 2015, the average Penn grad finished with 243,548. I am sure it was higher in recent years. source: Debt a looming concern for graduate as well as undergraduate students

I would recommend looking at the averages amount of debt students actually graduate with vs the overestimated cost they provide you.
UMB Dental grads had 203,267 in 2015, then the average debt hovered around 228k in 2016 and 2017. source: Graduating Debt

In 2015, the average Penn grad finished with 243,548. I am sure it was higher in recent years. source: Debt a looming concern for graduate as well as undergraduate students
As much as I want people to come here, i believe that data just provides a skewed number, I don't think this is really a good way to go about it. A lot of people are in different situations. Military scholarships, parents paying for a good chunk of their education/housing, people commuting, etc..

As much as I want people to come here, i believe that data just provides a skewed number, I don't think this is really a good way to go about it. A lot of people are in different situations. Military scholarships, parents paying for a good chunk of their education/housing, people commuting, etc..

All info as to be taken with a grain of salt. I agree with you. I think it says something when the average debt is super high, eg schools where it's clear most people have 350k on average.

Any clue if the AADSAS portal will change to "offer accepted" after they receive our deposit?

Dec 1

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Don't lose faith guys. Seriously. I know 7 people who plan on accepting and I know three people who are declining, because they got HUGE scholarships at our state school, so that's 3 more spots open! I know they begin to accept every two weeks and they don't fill up the class until March, so just be patient. I know someone who got accepted the week after their interview. You've all got a fair chance!

:horns:

Don't lose faith guys. Seriously. I know 7 people who plan on accepting and I know three people who are declining, because they got HUGE scholarships at our state school, so that's 3 more spots open! I know they begin to accept every two weeks and they don't fill up the class until March, so just be patient. I know someone who got accepted the week after their interview. You've all got a fair chance!

:horns:
I hope your right. I’m worried because I don’t have an interview until 1/30, hope that’s not too late. But if they are still interviewing I guess there is a chance...

I hope your right. I’m worried because I don’t have an interview until 1/30, hope that’s not too late. But if they are still interviewing I guess there is a chance...
Don't worry about it, just focus on nailing your interview :) Many of my classmates interviewed mid January and got in

Don't worry about it, just focus on nailing your interview :) Many of my classmates interviewed mid January and got in
Hey thanks, glad to hear that! Here’s to nailing the interview and getting in, best new year present!

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)
2018 means some people on this thread are starting dental school this year

General reminders as people are accepted/decline
1. Join the Class of 2022 facebook group: Log into Facebook | Facebook
2. Passing this along: Maryland ASDA is allowing accepted students and some pre-dentals to come to the ASDA District 3 Annual Meeting with them next weekend. They posted the RSVP to the 2022 group and publicly to their facebook page
3. Be patient and open minded. Many others and I are here to answer questions if they come up

Hello! I have two questions:

1) After mailing your acceptance letter, along with the $1000 deposit (check or receipt), do you get a confirmation email?

2) Silly question- but what are the scrub colors for class of 2022?

Thanks guys!!:)

1. I believe confirmation showed up on my SURFS account after making a UID. You can always send an email to confirm it was received
2. 2022 does not yet have assigned scrub color to my knowledge

1. I believe confirmation showed up on my SURFS account after making a UID. You can always send an email to confirm it was received
Do we make our own UID? If so, how? I dont think I got instructions on how to make one yet.

Info on creating a new user account below. Accepted students will be able to create their account using personal info. Biggest recommendations:
- your UID will generally be your email and you will have it for YEARS to come
- use a simple one: first initial and full last name for example
- avoid using ".", example: first.last

UMB Account Management Site

I didn't get that in my acceptance package. Do you get it after you send the deposit?

Please see my previous post. You can easily create your info using your SSN

Info on creating a new user account below. Accepted students will be able to create their account using personal info. Biggest recommendations:
- your UID will generally be your email and you will have it for YEARS to come
- use a simple one: first initial and full last name for example
- avoid using ".", example: first.last

UMB Account Management Site

Hi!

I just got an email saying my UMB account has been activated and I can access SURFS and such! However.. I haven’t been accepted into the school yet?? I had an interview and everything, but no acceptance letter yet. Very confused could anyone explain? Thanks!

Hi!

I just got an email saying my UMB account has been activated and I can access SURFS and such! However.. I haven’t been accepted into the school yet?? I had an interview and everything, but no acceptance letter yet. Very confused could anyone explain? Thanks!
Just be patient and wait for your acceptance letter ;)

Hi!

I got the same email on Tuesday...haven’t heard anything either. Interviewed in September.

I paid my deposit a week ago but I am unable to create my UMB ID. Is there something else we have to do to create this ID?

Do we make our own UID? If so, how? I dont think I got instructions on how to make one yet.

Thank you!! Sorry but where on the SURFS account did it show up?

Hi!

I got an email the other day to activate my UMB account , which I did but my interview isn't until a little over a week from now. Talk about confusing. But do they do that to everyone they are going to interview?

So I didn’t get any emails regarding surfs whatever. Is that a bad news ?

So I didn’t get any emails regarding surfs whatever. Is that a bad news ?
And I don’t think it means anything. This whole process has been interesting and strange. I had a school call me right before 12/1 to see if I had any questions and could they help me with anything. It sounded real positive but when 12/1 rolled around they denied me. I thought that was pretty rude, especially when they knew who was in by then. . So I don’t get excited one way or the other regardless until I actually hear from the school saying yes or now...we all stand a chance until the end. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.