Official june/20/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY, TO FOLLOW THE OTHERS: I AM CREATING THE OFFICIAL JUNE/20/2013 MCAT TEST DAY THREAD.

First off: this is my birthday...so whooooooo...
Second,,,am choosing this late test date so that i can creat a gap between my class finals and my test date: taking three classes spring 2013.
Third:::need as much time as possible for this beast...

So, SNDers...please comment...tell us ur plans...study attitude...

Members don't see this ad.

Average AAMC practice: 34 (~P10/ V11/ B13)
Actual: 35 (P11/V13/B11)

Don't know how I pulled off that verbal, but I'm not complaining! Now just waiting for AMCAS to verify.

just got home, committed to reading through this whole forum before I check my scores. We waited together so far, I'll wait through the rest with you, SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Practice AAMC average: PS - 10 VR - 9 BS - 8 Total - 27
AAMC 11: 8 / 9 / 8 - 25

Actual: PS - 10 VR - 9 BS - 11 Total - 30

Beyond thrilled with this. I never scored a 10 or higher in BS on my practice exams.

Glad I don't have to see any more whining about how hard PS was ;)

Last edited:
Okay I started work at 2:30 and checked my score around 3:30 and idk how I got through the last hour without flipping things

I got an extremely unbalanced 32 with a breakdown of 12/06/14.

I just cannot retake it this cycle, and a 6 in VR is probably a auto reject isn't it? I feel sick to my stomach...

just got home, committed to reading through this whole forum before I check my scores. We waited together so far, I'll wait through the rest with you, SDN.

Aw, the pre-med bond. Good luck! I've been doing the same thing since I can't check until 7. Seriously, congrats to everyone, seems like you all have great scores!!

Already posted my score earlier but here's more info...

10/9/11 for a 30 and my AAMC average was a 31. I was a 2 pm taker and had to randomly guess on 5 questions at the end because I was running out of time in the physicial science section. So thankful for a 10 in that section. So overall I scored pretty much in line with my practice averages. Even though I thought the real PS section was 10x harder than any of the practice tests.

Dear all,

This is my first post on SDN, but I've been reading for the past three months, especially when I needed that adrenaline rush to get motivated to study in the lull after finals :). Very grateful for all the constructive advice I've found on here.

I think I was on the tight end of things during my prep (especially compared to some of you!) because I didn't start taking the AAMC practice exams until a week and a half before june 20th, but I completed all but one, and each as if it were the real deal. Though I found the test day PS section difficult as well, I felt these practice exams were a good approximation of the real exam, both in difficulty and score. However, I cannot say they are the best way to practice because I haven't tried the practice full-length exams from any other prep company.

For those who are interested, I averaged a 37.4 on the practice exams (range 35 to 41), about 14/11/13. On June 20th, I scored a 38 (13/12/13). I prepped religiously with examkrackers, as I had recently taken most of the courses, and only used princeton review to fill in gaps for details. Berkeley Review seemed very detailed and nitpicky, which I think is constructive, but I felt that its focus was slightly off the mark in terms of reading into how the exam is written, so it wasn't a good use of the little time I had. Then again, maybe that's what it takes to get above 38 :).

Best of luck to those studying and applying now!

AAMC Average 36
Real thing: 33 (Verbal 11 Physical sciences 10 Biological 12)

I thought for sure I got a 15 on Verbal and a 8 on the physical sciences. Kind of bummed given how well I was doing on the AAMCs

What do yall think?

AAMC Average: 31 ... 9-11/8-10/11-13
Prediction Post Test: 30 ... 9/9/12
Actual Test: 31 ... 11/10/10

Overall I'm happy that I got over 30. Excited that I scored on the top end of PS/VR (especially with that PS section), but can't help feeling a little disappointed since I usually got a 12 in BS.

Real Score: 11/10/8
AAMC Average: 9/10/8
AAMC 11 score: 10/10/9
Post test prediction: 8/10/8

I was a 2 pm test taker. So stoked, this makes me competitive for osteopathic, & gives me hope at my state schools (South Carolina) and a few other MD programs. Lots of luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Created an account just to write this post. I, like many others, came out of PS shaken to the core. It's all a blur, but I remember a moment of accepting my fate of a retake during that section, no question about it. I literally recall guessing on almost the entirety of 2-3 passages. I'm usually a bit anxious during PS since it's the first section, but on test day, I thought I had an unjustified, full out panic attack. Never felt that way on a PS section, and I did every AAMC. I was sure my absolute MAX would be an 8 considering the amount of pure guessing I did at the end just to fill in answers. Luckily I pulled it together for the next two sections and felt pretty confident, but I was depressed at the thought of a retake after studying/throwing away my social life for 6 months. By the time I was ready to look at my score, I had convinced myself that I would 100% be applying next year after a retake.

AAMC Average: 32 (Sorry, don't have the breakdowns, but very similar to actual)
Actual: 10/10/12 for a 32 :thumbup:
I'm shocked, thrilled, relieved, ready for champagne.

I've perused SDN before, and frankly found myself shaking my head a lot of the time. But after this test I checked this thread probably every single day. The past month would have been absolute misery had I not read the struggles, encouragement, hilarity, etc. on this thread. This was truly therapy for me. So from the bottom of my heart I want to thank and CONGRATULATE everyone, regardless of your score, for making it through/helping me make it through these past few months.

I felt obligated to post this, in case anyone from a later administration feels a similar way and sees this. If you think you failed, no, if you KNOW you failed, do not give up hope! I laughed at everyone who said my AAMC average would be close to my real score even after my test day failure, but lo and behold.

tl;dr if you guess on three passages you can miraculously still get a 10 in the section

Total: 30

Extremely happy to have gotten a 30, as I told myself I'd take a gap year and retake the MCAT if I didn't. And considering the only practice tests I took were an Examkrackers free test (10/6/8 = 24) for my baseline, and AAMC 3 (12/9/9 = 30) about two weeks before the actual test, I'm feeling pretty good.

Felt unprepared going in, felt like PS and VR were made for me (8am) and thought I got my butt kicked by BS, ended up super surprised at my distribution.

Congrats to those who are pleased with their score, and good luck for those who are planning on retaking.

Last edited:
10/9/11 Total: 30

Extremely happy to have gotten a 30, as I told myself I'd take a gap year and retake the MCAT if I didn't. And considering the only practice tests I took were an Examkrackers free test (10/6/8 = 24) for my baseline, and AAMC 3 (12/9/9 = 30) about two weeks before the actual test, I'm feeling pretty good.

Felt unprepared going in, felt like PS and VR were made for me (8am) and thought I got my butt kicked by BS, so completely shocked by my distribution.

Congrats to those who are pleased with their score, and good luck for those who are planning on retaking.

Haha funny I was in 8 AM and thought PS and VR killed me but BS was really easy. Got a 35 also (12, 10, 13).

Last edited:
AAMC range:27-31
Actual test: 30, 11PS, 7VR, 12BS

I am an international student and I do not know if my score is good enough to get me into a school :( should I withdraw my application? Or I might still have some chances?

This post is dedicated to all the people who went in thinking they bombed a section.

I thought I got an 8 on PS. No joke, I seriously thought I got probably half the section wrong. I thought I did really well on the other two, but was afraid that since it was easy I would be curved down. I was praying for a 30 or 31!

Average: 35 11/12/12
Actual: 35 10/11/14

Your post test feelings mean NOTHING. For every time you choked on a question or panicked, hundreds of other students did the same. Trust in your averages. I spent the week after the exam looking through all the other MCAT threads looking for posts like the one I'm writing now. Here's another one for people like me.

Congrats to everyone who scored what they wanted!

+1. I wish someone had posted this for previous tests. I thought I completely bombed PS and got a 14.

Didn't do this before:

AAMC 3-7 Range: 33-35
AAMC 8-11 Range: 37-39
Post Test Prediction: 28-38 (Yeah I had know clue)
Actual: 36 (14/11/11)

Congrats to all that did well! And to all else, good luck in the future and I hope everyone finds what they're looking for! :luck:

I was averaging 32-33. My VR avg was probably 8 or 9 at the best. I am TERRIBLE at Verbal (Reading kicked my butt in ACT) but English is my second language so Idk. I still submitted my primary for 14 MD Schools. Just debating on whether to apply for DO schools. Whats your plan?

if english is your second language, you are more than OK in my opinion haha. I'm actually not applying until the next cycle, but I really don't want to do a retake. I have a few years of heavy genetics research and will have a ton of work experience, clinical hours and volunteering by the time I apply, so I'lm hoping my ECs will be enough to make up for my score..only time will tell

Well I'm pretty upset. I got a 30 (12/7/11), AAMC avg was ~32/33.
Range on AAMC was 30-38, most were around 32 though.
AAMC 11: 32 (11/10/11)
AAMC10: 33 (12/10/11)
AAMC 9: 32 (13/9/10)
AAMC 7: 31 (11/9/11)
AAMC 8: 38 (14/11/13) <---I found it too easy. Took it as confidence booster 3 days before.
AAMC 5: 30 (10/9/11)
AAMC 4: Took VR only 2 days before, got a 9 on it.
PS range: 10-14, Avg ~12
VR range: 9-11, Avg ~9.5
BS range: 10-13, Avg ~11.5

I don't get the VR....I actually thought I did well on it this time. With my gpa of 3.65, Im wondering which schools will screen out with a VR of 7? I am NOT ESL, and I'm ORM :(

I'm a retaker, so this had bigger weight of course. I want to retake but for family reasons, I can't retake again. Financial & other personal reasons. Also, I have no idea HOW to increase my VR....so lost. I had a tutor, increased my AAMC VR avg to 9ish, thought I would get that on June 20. :mad:

39 - 14/12/13 Here.

Avg on AAMC FLs was about a 38, so everything seems to have worked out :). Congrats to everyone who did well, and to those who didn't, don't give up! This was my 2nd attempt, 7 pt improvement.

retaking:
average on aamc was 33, NEVER LOWER THAN 30, never higher than 36, on 11 i got a 34
actual: 24 THE. WORST. THING. THAT. HAS. HAPPENED. IN. MY LIFE.
I knew I got scurred on the first section and was defeated but I hoped I could pull through... alas...I got mentally blocked for all the rest of the sections....scored 8 8 8. pathetic. considering DO but I know I can get well over a 30 so I will be retaking and applying to in-state.
I really don't know what happened. I know I was freaking out that day but I am a great test-taker. I just want to crawl into a corner and die...but I can't because I need to remember everything before aug test :(
--also, I took aamc test like actual tests, no rests, no cheats. It got me to be sooo misled

Last edited:
Took the 8am test. The scores are in the order of PS/VR/BS:

Real Score: 28 11/7/10
AAMC Average: 30.875 11.125/7.875/11.875; range: 29-33 9-12/6-9/11-13
AAMC 11 score: 32 12/8/12
Post test prediction: 32

I am definitely on planning to do a retake sometime in 2014, maybe sometime between April and June. I need major help with verbal.

I guess luck wasn't on my side. :( Time to hit the MCAT books again.

UPDATE: Scored a 33 (13 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS) on the 5/17/2014 exam!!! Hope is not lost.

Last edited:
I saw that everyone is getting the score they expected, so my post will probably be negative :(
I got a 28, 5 in VR, 13 in PS, 10 in BS...
I prepared for this from 5/12/13 after my finals ended...
English is my second language... I literally guessed all questions on one of the passages in VR...
I am feeling lost and frustrated.

Is there any suggested practice strategy for bumping up my VR score? I usually have to mumble out loud as I read a passage because I can't grasp the meaning if I just "read" in silence..

I register for 8/28/13 and want to apply for this cycle....

I'm really grateful for any advice. Thank you. Good luck to everyone!

I saw that everyone is getting the score they expected, so my post will probably be negative :(
I got a 28, 5 in VR, 13 in PS, 10 in BS...
I prepared for this from 5/12/13 after my finals ended...
English is my second language... I literally guessed all questions on one of the passages in VR...
I am feeling lost and frustrated.

Is there any suggested practice strategy for bumping up my VR score? I usually have to mumble out loud as I read a passage because I can't grasp the meaning if I just "read" in silence..

I register for 8/28/13 and want to apply for this cycle....

I'm really grateful for any advice. Thank you. Good luck to everyone!

Because of the time constrain, I didn't do any AAMC official exams or any full-length simulation at home. I only had enough time to read through everything they will test on the mcat on Berkeley review, not to mention doing any passage.....

10/9/11 Total: 30

Felt unprepared going in, felt like PS and VR were made for me (8am) and thought I got my butt kicked by BS, so completely shocked by my distribution.

I felt the same way going in and coming out. Apparently my score represents exactly how I felt, 34: 12,11,11 (based on my practice test scores which had a 32 average from 4 tests with a 31-33 range). Verbal and PS helped me and BS was the lowest I had gotten, hoped for a set of 12's, but I can't complain. Time to go paste in the personal statement and submit...Good luck to all.

First Time Poster here....been lurking for past month.

First Attempt 1/26/2013 .... PS 7 VR 10 BS 9 for a 26 overall

Thought I was ready, guess I wasn't. Had to change up study techniques, etc..

2nd Attempt
6/20/2013 (2 P.M.) 12 PS 10 VR 10 BS for 32
Honestly shocked at PS score.....came out like everybody else feeling destroyed and guessed on a lot of questions. Was really relieved when scores came out. Not the best overall but more than happy considering how I felt post exam.

Reading this forum has helped me cope with the wait of the last month so thank you guys for that and congrats on your scores! For those who didn't score as well as they'd like, keep pushing and you will get there soon. I was never a good test taker and really I believe that the mcat does reward those who keep working and pushing themselves to do better.

I am horrified. I avg a 35 on aamc prac tests and 33-37 on kaplan. i ran out of time majorly on PS on real thing had to christmas tree whole last passage .... but was hopeful after hearing how bad it was... but i was pretty sure id have to retake since blindly guessing on a whole passage that might have been an easy one could kill me. idk what to do. i got a 30. i got a 29 on my diagnostic with 0 studying. i got lower on PS on real thing that diagnostic. i got 9/11/10. im most shocked about bio. i got 13s on the last 5 aamcs. i ran out of time here too and guessed on last 3 qs. idk what to do... i normally get 10/12/13. but i dont wanna retake and be 2 months farther back in cycle.... but its disappointing to study 6 months for 8 or so hours a day and drop 5 pts from avg. idk if i should retake tho because my PS and VR werent that far off from my avg. but my bio was 3 pts. but idt going from a 30 to 32 is worth a 2 month delay. and i cant know ill get a 34 etc on retake. what do i do. 3.85 sgpa. amazing resume. great LOR. everyone was expecting at least a 33 from me..... so sad. really wanted to go to school in Ny, but thats obv dead dream. am applying to 5 yr md/ma ethics programs. i have extensive work in ethics. do u think with my resume and gpa i should retake or just hope for the best. my score could improve a lot on retake if bio went back up to avg but if it doesnt i prob wouldnt improve that much..... :( cant believe this.

retaking:
average on aamc was 33, NEVER LOWER THAN 30, never higher than 36, on 11 i got a 34
actual: 24 THE. WORST. THING. THAT. HAS. HAPPENED. IN. MY LIFE.
I knew I got scurred on the first section and was defeated but I hoped I could pull through... alas...I got mentally blocked for all the rest of the sections....scored 8 8 8. pathetic. considering DO but I know I can get well over a 30 so I will be retaking and applying to in-state.
I really don't know what happened. I know I was freaking out that day but I am a great test-taker. I just want to crawl into a corner and die...but I can't because I need to remember everything before aug test :(
--also, I took aamc test like actual tests, no rests, no cheats. It got me to be sooo misled

I'm really sorry about this. I don't have any advice, I just really feel for you. Good luck on your August test.

Hey Y'all!
Last Month Lurker here.
Pleased but not thrilled with my score.

2pm

Real Score: 10/10/11 Composite 31
AAMC Average: 10/10/12 32
AAMC 11 score: 7/10/11 28
Post test prediction: 8/10-12/11-13 30-32

I am VERY happy with a 10 in PS because of the difficulty of it, but a little disappointed at only a 10 and 11 in VR and BS. I was doing better in my BS sections on my practice tests scoring 11 12 and 13s. I thought I killed BS on the test and was dreaming of a higher VR. In the end I am thankful because with my 3.69 GPA 3.68 sGPA and reasonably good EC's it can still get me into my state school (UofUtah) and maybe some mid to low tier MD schools. I am glad I am competitive at DO schools too.

Thanks to all the posters who made me laugh this past month as I lurked for therapy.

Hope everyone knows that this silly test is not as important as we all let it be these past few months/years. I have an ER doctor friend who retook 3 times, finished with a 29, got accepted and is now a happily working fellow in Salt Lake. His opinion of this test was that it says very little about who you are and how good a doctor you will be. He is an excellent physician.

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I already posted my score earlier, but here's more info.

Average AAMC score: 29 (range: 26-33). Last practice score was 29.
AAMC 11 Score: 26 (yes, I know horrible)
Predicted Score: VR/BS/BS 9/10/10
Actual score: VR/BS/PS 10/13/13 (36) This doesn't seem real at all

2pm taker here. I wished I had better advice for others (less than two months prep), but I'd say practice taking exams so that you'd feel confident with the exam. I ran out of time for the PS section (b/c it was soooo difficult) and I told myself to stop lingering on difficult questions for the VR and BS.

AAMC average: 34
Prediction: 8 13 12
Actual: 10 13 11 for a 34

I thought I bombed the PS section too, was really upset about it. Thought it could have been as low as a 6 or 7 so am really happy with how things turned out. Again just another example of how post test feelings can often be inaccurate.

So I've been a long time lurker here. I kind of want to discuss my score a bit. Last year when I wrote the mcat I ended up scoring a 28 (9 10 9). This time around I wanted to score around a 32. My AAMC practice average was around 31. I ended up getting horribly sick the day before (fever chills, mind numbing sinus pain). Now I expected my score to be not up to my usual standards, but I did not expect to score of 23 ( 8 6 9). I'm feeling hysterical and deflated. :( I already booked a retake for August 22nd. Anyone have any tips? There was no point in voiding since the schools I'm looking at do not care about multiple attempts

Last edited:
Got 12/9/11. Gonna retake because the whole reason I did this one was to improve my 11/9/12 from last year which didn't happen. I'm pretty surprised at my physics score since I guessed a huge chunk of the questions, but I wish that sort of luck carried on to verbal.

Aug. 22nd let's goooo.

I got a 10 in VR, 9 PS, 13 BS total 32.

My average scores were
VR 9-10
PS 9-12
BS 10-12

I am worried about my 9 in PS. Should I retake this exam? Does this 9 Bring me down? Thank you so much for your advise. I do appreciate it!

8am test taker here
Average AAMC score: ~34 (on 3,8,9,10,11) Range 31-38
AAMC 11 Score: 31 PS/VR/BS Taken the day before sitting the exam. Such a blow to my confidence
Predicted Score: PS/VR/BS 11/11/12
Actual score: PS/VR/BS 13/11/12 (36) My highest score on PS so far. I am so happy. Thinking of applying to some more schools :)

Cheers to everyone from my holiday in Ireland
:luck:

So I've been a long time lurker here. I kind of want to discuss my score a bit. Last year when I wrote the mcat I ended up scoring a 28 (9 10 9). This time around I wanted to score around a 32. My AAMC practice average was around 31. I ended up getting horribly sick the day before (fever chills, mind numbing sinus pain). Now I expected my score to be not up to my usual standards, but I did not expect to score of 23 ( 8 6 9). I'm feeling hysterical and deflated. :( I already booked a retake for August 22nd. Anyone have any tips? There was no point in voiding since the schools I'm looking at do not care about multiple attempts

I'd retake if I were you. MCAT is probably the most important factor on your application.

What would you guys say is a competitive MCAT score for top tier schools (with gpa ~3.8)? Or rather, what do you guys think is a score that would at least give me an average chance, assuming everything else is okay?

My final prediction:
PS: 8
VR: 10 or 11
BS: 11

Really praying my VR and BS are higher than that because I'm almost positive my PS is at least that low.... sad because even on my first practice test my lowest score was an 8 =( I took 2pm

Guys I am SO excited right now I can't even...!!!
Here is my final score:
PS: 10
VR: 11
BS: 10
Total: 31

AAHFAISJFSAFLSAK I can't believe it! I had never scored above a 29 on a practice test!! For all of you out there like me- you CAN do it! Don't get discouraged because you think a particular section was hard. I was moping around this forum all month saying I had definitely bombed PS, and lo and behold got a 10! For those who are counting, I got a 27 on AAMC 11 and here are my avg. scores:
PS: 9 (range 8-11)
VR: 10 (range 8-11)
BS: 10 (range 9-10)

For some reason on my practice tests they never came together to pass a 30, but like most people do, I peaked on test day! Just the adrenaline and focus and the thought in my head "this is real!" pushed me to my best and it will for you too! Don't lose hope!

And now to finally start the secondaries I have been putting off :)

Hey guys, I hope you're all happy with your scores. As someone who recently took the MCAT I had a question...did anyone actually feel good about any of the sections (most likely Verbal or Bio) and do well? Or did you walk out feeling good but probably got screwed by a bad curve?

Hey guys, I hope you're all happy with your scores. As someone who recently took the MCAT I had a question...did anyone actually feel good about any of the sections (most likely Verbal or Bio) and do well? Or did you walk out feeling good but probably got screwed by a bad curve?

I felt pretty good about verbal and bio... Got 12 on both

Felt confident on verbal, got 13 on it.

Guys I am SO excited right now I can't even...!!!
Here is my final score:
PS: 10
VR: 11
BS: 10
Total: 31

AAHFAISJFSAFLSAK I can't believe it! I had never scored above a 29 on a practice test!! For all of you out there like me- you CAN do it! Don't get discouraged because you think a particular section was hard. I was moping around this forum all month saying I had definitely bombed PS, and lo and behold got a 10! For those who are counting, I got a 27 on AAMC 11 and here are my avg. scores:
PS: 9 (range 8-11)
VR: 10 (range 8-11)
BS: 10 (range 9-10)

For some reason on my practice tests they never came together to pass a 30, but like most people do, I peaked on test day! Just the adrenaline and focus and the thought in my head "this is real!" pushed me to my best and it will for you too! Don't lose hope!

And now to finally start the secondaries I have been putting off :)

Congrats!!

I felt good about my BS (hoping for a 14 or 15) but got 12...:scared:

Been following this thread for awhile now so I guess I should post my results.

I took the 2 pm and along with many others, I seriously thought about voiding after the PS section and the other two sections were a blur after that.

my AAMC FL (8-11) average was 31. usually get 11 PS/ 9 VR/ 11 BS
prediction was 7 PS/9 VR/10 BS for a 26
Actual: 10 PS/9 VR/11 BS for a 30

I'm completely happy with this score and my advice to others that are about to take the test is to try your best to forget your post test feelings. Trust in your averages.

Good luck to all and congrats to everyone who is happy with their results!