Official june/20/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY, TO FOLLOW THE OTHERS: I AM CREATING THE OFFICIAL JUNE/20/2013 MCAT TEST DAY THREAD.

First off: this is my birthday...so whooooooo...
Second,,,am choosing this late test date so that i can creat a gap between my class finals and my test date: taking three classes spring 2013.
Third:::need as much time as possible for this beast...

So, SNDers...please comment...tell us ur plans...study attitude...

Members don't see this ad.

Got a 30 (10VR/10PS/10BS)!!!!!
Went up 7 points since I first took it last August 2012 (3VR/10PS/10BS).

Congrats to everyone who got the score they wanted!

If you need to retake, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!
This test is doable! You just need to come up with your own strategy and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
It's not about IF you get there, it's about WHEN you get there!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

What were you averaging on practice tests? Id retake.

I was averaging 11/9/10 =30

LAst time i got 8/6/9 and this time 12/6/11...i dont know what im doing wrong in verbal! I finished EK with ~70%....argh this is my last chance to take mcat so isigned up for aug 28th. you guys think i can raise it up to at least an 8?

LAst time i got 8/6/9 and this time 12/6/11...i dont know what im doing wrong in verbal! I finished EK with ~70%....argh this is my last chance to take mcat so isigned up for aug 28th. you guys think i can raise it up to at least an 8?

Verbal is the least consistent section. I think if you wrote another MCAT tomorrow you could get an 8. Within 3 days, I can go from a 7 to a 10, or 10 to a 7. It's all a matter of what passages you get and if your mind is focused on test-day. So yes, no doubt you can get 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk about y'all but I'm 2 margaritas deep and have 2 beers sitting in front of me. That's right...2.

WE'RE FREEEEEEEEE

12/10/10 32 total

Oh man people what a relief to finally have scores back! What a crap shoot though. I took the 8 am and despite the horror stories I heard about the 2pm PS I felt defeated after the PS. Felt like I killed the verbal and I was averaging 12-14 on BS!! Really weird distribution for me here but I'm happy. Just above 32 was my average on AAMCs so I'm pleased I could pull it off on the real thing.

I just might get incredibly inebriated tonight

What would you guys say is a competitive MCAT score for top tier schools (with gpa ~3.8)? Or rather, what do you guys think is a score that would at least give me an average chance, assuming everything else is okay?

SEARCH FUNCTION. OR GOOGLE. :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed: :annoyed:

The answer you are looking for is 36.

Hey guys, I hope you're all happy with your scores. As someone who recently took the MCAT I had a question...did anyone actually feel good about any of the sections (most likely Verbal or Bio) and do well? Or did you walk out feeling good but probably got screwed by a bad curve?

I felt great about Bio and I ended up with a 14.

I honestly felt confident about all my sections. I was consistently scoring well on bio and physics (13-14) that if my actual test was tough.. everyone else must have thought it was really really tough and looks like that was true.

I am a retaker so my anxiety from taking it the second time was muuuuuccchhh less then the first time.

What you can try and do is buy the TPR verbal and try out my strat, which is just focus on doing 5 - 6 passages and guessing on what you don't get done. I have found to do better. Granted I have not yet checked and won't until i am off work tomo or tonight but this is just some advice.

Idk about y'all but I'm 2 margaritas deep and have 2 beers sitting in front of me. That's right...2.

WE'RE FREEEEEEEEE

I would totally join you if I didn't have to wake up at 5:30 tomorrow for work. Whoever it was that took today and tomorrow off was a smart cookie.

Oh and for those who asked, puppy is not scared anymore :D ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1374625908.730593.jpg

What you can try and do is buy the TPR verbal and try out my strat, which is just focus on doing 5 - 6 passages and guessing on what you don't get done. I have found to do better. Granted I have not yet checked and won't until i am off work tomo or tonight but this is just some advice.

This has been statistically and anecdotally proven to be relatively ineffective. I can't realistically believe this can get you >=9.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I hope you're all happy with your scores. As someone who recently took the MCAT I had a question...did anyone actually feel good about any of the sections (most likely Verbal or Bio) and do well? Or did you walk out feeling good but probably got screwed by a bad curve?

Felt really confident about verbal and bio but got a 11 VR and 10 BS. Both good scores but I was definitely expecting a little better on BS. I think it may have just been such a big change from the physics section (which I thought I bombed but ended up getting a 10 on) that I thought I did better than I did.

This has been statistically and anecdotally proven to be relatively ineffective. I can't realistically believe this can get you >=9.

+1.

Yea, don't do this.

Here is what I do each on every passage. It is basically what EK recommends and is quite effective and makes very good sense.

1. DO NOT read the questions before you read the passage. You won't remember a single on by the time you get through the passage.

2. Read the passage to yourself in your head. I mouth the words as I read. I find that it greatly helps with detail retention. You'll have plenty of time to read and answer the questions. Reading the passages in this way often means that I don't even need to go back and skim the passage for certain information when answering the questions. In the end, it reduces the total time spent per passage.

3. Feel the tone of the writer. Is he supporting or criticizing the topic being discussed? What is his main point? What evidence does he present to support his position? Do you agree or disagree with his position? Think about these things as you read. The impression that you form as you read is always the one that is intended.

4. When presented with two answers that could technically be considered correct, ALWAYS go with the more general, broader answer. Remember, the VR section is testing your ability to interpret information and derive the main idea from a text, not recall the minute details of what you just read.

Hey guys, can't be happier with my scores. Using the berkely review materials, I made a 32 on the April 26th test 9PS/11V/12BS and decided to retake because I had been averaging a 34.5 on the aamc full lengths and I didn't like the 9 in PS. Studied some more (averaging a 35.5 on practice tests now) and made a 39 on this one 14PS/10V/15BS. So just some encouragement that if you are practice testing higher than your actual score then it might be worth your while to study some more and try again, it was for me.

AAMC 11: 13/11/12
AAMC avg: 34-35
prediction: 11/11/12
actual: 14/10/15

Last edited:
AAMC 11 - 13/8/10
AAMC avg - 32~33
Actual - 14/9/11

So all in all I'm pretty happy, albeit a bit confused about the 9 on verbal, but pretty psyched about the 14 in physical sciences that was my best score ever! For all of you who have not yet checked your scores, fear not the unknown, for it does not change the truth. Or maybe it does, I'm not God.

AAMC average: 32-33
Prediction: 31 - 12/9/10
Actual: 31 - 12/10/9
I'm relieved that I got a 31, but I wish I got at least a 32. I knew that I did poorly on bio when I finished the test, but I didn't think I would get below a 10. Oh well, at least I'm done with this test unless I don't get in anywhere this round. Time to hit the gym hard, get a huge chipotle burrito and then go drink!

So wondering if y'all can say a word or two about study material and what you found as most effective. I have a month to go for this monster and am currently focused on TBR, from first to last page of every book they have.

So wondering if y'all can say a word or two about study material and what you found as most effective. I have a month to go for this monster and am currently focused on TBR, from first to last page of every book they have.

Last month and still on TBR? Doesn't sound promising. Get TPRH passages or Kaplan online content and FLs.

8am, 2nd time test taker

2011 MCAT: 30Q 7/12/11
This time-
AAMC avg: 35 11/12/12
Prediction: 30 7/11/12
Actual: 32 9/10/13

With a 2 point increase in both PS and BS from my last exam in 2011, I am definitely applying this cycle (despite the 2 pt drop in VR, it's fluctuates so much anyway).

PS demolished me, it was brutal! I ran out of time and had to Christmas tree a whole passage, I was still so shaken that I ran out of time for VR too, that never happens to me, it's always been my best section. The PS was so obscure and calculation heavy, it was just too long and too detailed with a lot of 50/50 answers. I'll attribute my 2 point VR drop to being so shaken after that horrible PS section. The VR really felt normal to me, comparable to practice exams. The BS felt pretty comparable as well, and by then I had calmed down.

I used Kaplan materials, as well as notes from past classes for review, and I have the Barron's MCAT flash card set (used it a bit, but not worth it unless flash cards is really how you study best, they are really topics cards). For practice questions, I used EK1001 and McGraw-Hill 500 questions to know by test day. Finally, I used Kaplan FLs and finished up my prep with 4 AAMC FLs, including 11. I only reviewed heavily for about 3 months (I've been out of school for a year) AND during that time, I was working full-time. It can be done!

Congrats to everyone who is moving on and best of luck on your apps! To those who weren't happy with their scores, keep at it and best of luck to you too! I was in your shoes 2 years ago!

Hey guys, can't be happier with my scores. Using the berkely review materials, I made a 32 on the April 26th test 9PS/11V/12BS and decided to retake because I had been averaging a 34.5 on the aamc full lengths and I didn't like the 9 in PS. Studied some more (averaging a 35.5 on practice tests now) and made a 39 on this one 14PS/10V/15BS. So just some encouragement that if you are practice testing higher than your actual score then it might be worth your while to study some more and try again, it was for me.

AAMC 11: 13/11/12
AAMC avg: 34-35
prediction: 11/11/12
actual: 14/10/15

That's an awesome jump! Nice work!

8 am test.

AAMC avg: 29 10/9/10
Prediction: ??? PS felt crazy
Actual: 30 10/10/10

Happy I won't be taking it again! Wish it was a bit higher but the evenness (is that a word?) of my spread makes up for it.

Congrats to everyone else. And good luck to everyone who is retaking!

Last month and still on TBR? Doesn't sound promising. Get TPRH passages or Kaplan online content and FLs.

It depends what that means though, the last month of SN2ed includes the final 1/3 of the TBR passages, which I'm doing alongside TPRH SW for example.

edit: didn't read the full quote, whoops, could still mean reviewing content while doing passages though. Just a thought.

AAMC avg: 33 12/11/10
Prediction: 33 10/12/11
Actual: 35 13/11/11

Pretty damn happy with my score. Thought for sure that PS was going to be my undoing but ended up with a good score.

2pm taker. Thought i bombed the PS like so many others but turned out ok.

aamc avg (3-11) 9.75/7.5/11 28
aamc avg (9-11) 11/8/12 31
aamc 11 10/9/11 30
actual 10/10/11 31

I'm definitely satisfied with my score. Thrilled that i was able to get my VR up. Took aamc 3 for a baseline in early February and scored a 7/6/7 20. Studied for 3-3.5 months. My goal was 30 so I'm very happy. :D

i got.. a 12/8/11

PS and BS are almost exactly my aamc avg. verbal i did a bit worse than i usually do..

i wish i did better but i am also relieved that i didn't actually bomb the test. i took 2 pm and PS, as i've mentioned before, was basically hell.

do u.s. MD schools in the northeast accept/matriculate those with an 8 in verbal? i think i read somewhere that the verbal has to be at least 8 or 9.. would i be a competitive applicant with this mcat score and a 3.9 gpa? (i submitted my primary amcas in mid july, still has not been verified)

2pm taker, second time

1st time - Sept 7 my AAMC avg was 31; actual was 27R (9 PS / 7 VR / 11 BS)
2nd time - June 20 my AAMC avg was 32-33; actual score : 34 (12 PS / 10 VR / 12 BS) =D

Glad to be forever done with this test...

Got a 30 (10VR/10PS/10BS)!!!!!
Went up 7 points since I first took it last August 2012 (3VR/10PS/10BS).

Congrats to everyone who got the score they wanted!

If you need to retake, KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!
This test is doable! You just need to come up with your own strategy and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!
It's not about IF you get there, it's about WHEN you get there!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Hey man just want to say congrats that is a truly amazing improvement in VR... Can't imagine starting from as low as 3 and getting a 10! Congrats!!!

It got me a 10.

Well, you didn't elaborate on what "guessing" entailed lol. I was referring to the commonly brought up strategy of doing 5-6 passages closely, then basically leaving up to the multiple-choice Gods for the last 8-10 questions, which is boneheaded. That was what I was referring to, but you must've had a much more well-thought out "guessing" and timing technique. Each to his own.

It depends what that means though, the last month of SN2ed includes the final 1/3 of the TBR passages, which I'm doing alongside TPRH SW for example.

edit: didn't read the full quote, whoops, could still mean reviewing content while doing passages though. Just a thought.

Yeah d00d he said "focused" and every page so I was like yooooooooooo

AAMC avg 32-33
Actual MCAT: 35 (13PS-9V-13BS)

I took the 8 am exam..and I'm happy with this score since I felt our verbal section was pretty difficult.

It's a an unbalanced score though, what do you guys think? My verbal avg was a 10.5 on practice tests.

AAMC avg 32-33
Actual MCAT: 35 (13PS-9V-13BS)

I took the 8 am exam..and I'm happy with this score since I felt our verbal section was pretty difficult.

It's a an unbalanced score though, what do you guys think? My verbal avg was a 10.5 on practice tests.

Sounds like it's within range of VR variations, though. Schools won't particularly care about it as much as you think. Plus, you're already above your AAMC overall average already, at and that score range getting better only gets harder.

So with my 12/6/14 score, do you think I should retake? I guess the answer ia quite obvious, asuch as I hate the answer haha.

7 weeks until the September 12th date. I don't know. I think I should apply with this score and how for the best. I have a 3.95 cGPA and a 3.94 sGPA with decent ECs (shadowing a family doc, TAing a lab for two semesters, no research. I'm a Florida resident so I'm fortunate to have 6 public MD schools and 1 private MD school. As far as DO goes, I think it is too late for me to start an app and get my professors to send their letters in. Plus I don't think the advising committee at my school will send out the committee letter they did for me for MD

A big congratulations to everyone who scored well, and best of luck to anyone who is retaking.

A few longer thoughts post-score:

AAMC Average: ~38
Real MCAT: 37 (12/11/14)

I felt very badly after the PS section, but as many others have already shown in this thread, post-test impressions are sometimes not very accurate. I also felt unsure about VR, which was generally a strength. I don't think I got below a 12 on any practice tests, so I was surprised by an 11 but still of course very happy. I did feel very positively about the BS section, and was hoping for a 14/15 there.

I studied for about 2.5 weeks before the exam, using Chad's videos, two old editions of PR's Cracking the MCAT and Kaplan's Premier Program, and the AAMC exams. I obviously would not recommend this timeline, but it worked to my strengths and turned out very well in the end. Would I have done better taking a course or doing SN2ed? Maybe. Who knows? I saved a ton of time and money.

To lurkers waiting for their scores: Relax. Barring any extreme circumstances, you likely scored near your AAMC average. To lurkers preparing for their exam: think positively! The MCAT is a challenge, but not one that you can't overcome.

I'm hoping this worked for me.... I did something very similar (although I didn't get to take many of the AAMC tests - money is a bit tight). I took on July 13 and I felt really good about it, but you never know. Anyway, congrats!

Alright. Here is this!

Real Score: 10/12/12
AAMC Average: 10/12/11
AAMC 11 score: 10/10/11
Post test prediction: 8/11/11

Suggestions: don't panic after a tough section. Each section is a clean slate. I think I coulda done better in verbal had I remembered that. Oh, and warm up your brain before physics. And SKIP HARD PASSAGES AND COME BACK TO THEM. That's what killed me.

I was a point up from my average.

hey,

11ps
10vr
15bs

Will the skewed nature of my scores be an issue? Or will the 15 help?
My aamc average was a 38, range 36-41, so content but not thrilled with a 36.

thanks

Score Total: 31
AAMC FL Average: PS 11 VR 11 BS 9
Actual Test: PS 10 VR 11 BS 10

Really happy. This is worth repeating: post-test feelings mean NOTHING. I thought physics was a straight up 7. The first two passages I never completely understood, and that's not counting potential mistakes in other passages. As for verbal, I've gotten 11 on pretty much every practice test I've ever taken lol, so I wasn't surprised. And Bio was completely expected and not that bad. I probably missed a few and the curve/scale was probably rough because I thought it was easy.

TRUST. YOUR. AAMC. AVERAGES.

Already posted my score but I thought I'd share some more.
My AAMC average was around a 32.5. However, this was unbalanced - through aamc 3-7, I was getting 25-27. I dedicated myself to studying, and aamc 8-11 I averaged around a 35. Actual score - 11-10-11.
After the test I was freaking out cause I had to Christmas tree 3 questions in PS and literally 8 or 9 in BS. Needless to say, I was thrilled with an 11 in both sections. My VR however, I was disappointed with. I was averaging 12-13 on my practice test and thought I did the best on VR. Just goes to show how little post test feelings mean.
It seems as though the vast majority of the time your aamc average is a great indicator of your score.
Now to go and cancel my retake!

Um. a scewed score with one section less than 10 would be a problem. not a scewed score of 15 vs 10 (what you got in verbal). you should be celebrating.

Like azngujuonfire above, I'm also wondering if I should retake?

I got 30 (12/7/11) and this is my retake score. Should I take it a 3rd time?? I'm really leaning towards it but I don't want to apply just for kicks. If I retake, I will do Sept 7 or 11 because I still remember quite a bit now....whereas if I wait till Jan, I have a feeling I might slack & forget a lot.

I'm a CA Resident, 3.64 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, ORM, above average ECs.

WAMC below:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14284627#post14284627

Like azngujuonfire above, I'm also wondering if I should retake?

I got 30 (12/7/11) and this is my retake score. Should I take it a 3rd time?? I'm really leaning towards it but I don't want to apply just for kicks. If I retake, I will do Sept 7 or 11 because I still remember quite a bit now....whereas if I wait till Jan, I have a feeling I might slack & forget a lot.

I'm a CA Resident, 3.64 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, ORM, above average ECs.

WAMC below:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=14284627#post14284627

If you remember your content, I would probably just retake on 7 or 11. I think if you practice enough verbal you can improve by a few points. I brought mine from a 7->10 just by doing the EK101 and switching up my strategy.

Hi all, newly registered, though I've been lurking for the past few months while nervously awaiting the test and then anxiously awaiting my score.

I wanted to add my numbers and experience with this beast of a test. As a non trad post bac with a lower cGPA due to general indifference the first time around, I had to do extremely well to have a decent shot at acceptance. I have to say I've been on another plane after seeing my score. I felt pretty good coming out of the test, but I could imagine getting anything from a 30-42. I'm a bit shocked that bio was my best section. On practice tests I had always done best on verbal and I felt really good about it during and after the test.

8 am.
Actual: 40 13/13/14 PS/VR/BS

Diagnostic (with zero focused study, taken on 12/4/2012): 32 10/12/10
AAMC 11 on 5/26 (after a few months of study, but getting serious in April): 34 12/11/11
AAMC 10 on 6/4: 32 11/11/10
AAMC 7 on 6/7: 40 13/15/12
AAMC 8 on 6/12: 37 13/14/10
AAMC 9 on 6/17: 38 13/13/12

So, trust you AAMC averages, even if the actual test feels nothing like it!

I started studying with my college textbooks and abandoned it in early april as it wasn't getting me anywhere. I then started with the wikipremed course, which, although a bit slow, I liked. Concurrently I also used the EK books and EK audio osmosis. I work full time as a baker and have long stretches of working alone, and everyday I put the audio osmosis on repeat. I probably listened to it 10 times all the way through, and some tricky sections even more. I did all the questions in EK that I had time for, focusing on sections that I felt unsure of. I only had time to get through half the wikipremed course, and by the beginning of june started focusing on taking practice tests. I don't know what happened between 6/4 and 6/7 but something clicked and I started to be able to interpret the questions such that even if I was unsure of the material I felt confident of the answer. After that I looked forward to practice tests and treated them like interesting puzzles. So I went into test day with a ridiculous level of confidence, which, regardless of how ready you are, will benefit you during the actual test. You can't let it pysch you out and always remember it's primarily about principles and logic. Also, I don't know if this will help anyone else, but I took advantage of the pre test sections to close my eyes and focus entirely on my breath. Not quite meditation, but as close as I could get given the circumstances.

Anyway, I hope my experience can help out future test takers or retakers. Congrats to all who achieved their goals, and best of luck to those who will retake.