Official "Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mary Jane Watson said:
Yup, it's very random. I still haven't heard from UNC, Maryland, Wake, FL-Jax, VCU and Georgetown. But I got interviews at Cinci, Indy, Vandy and Carolinas. Go figure. Whatever - I'm happy. :D It seems like everyone has a great list and a lot to choose from. I'm looking at this as a chance to meet a lot of people and catch up with old friends, see places I've never been and just enjoy. I wish everyone a great and safe interview season.

:luck: MJ

don't give up on Wake MJ. Our PD is definately still wading through the apps. I think he said there were over 500 for our 10 spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Added a couple......of rejections (OHSU, JHU)
Added UC-Davis, Hennepin EM/IM
Waitlist @ MCW

YTD:
UNC
Duke
Hennepin (EM and EM/IM)
Maryland (EM and EM/IM)
GW
Georgetown
Vandy
Cinci
Northwestern
UChicago
Pitt
Indiana
New Mexico
UC Davis

Cancelled:
Maine
Maricopa

Rejected:
OHSU
Johns Hopkins

Waitlist:
MCW

MedDeac said:
don't give up on Wake MJ. Our PD is definately still wading through the apps. I think he said there were over 500 for our 10 spots.

Well, if it happens, it happens. Wake has a great program, so I'd love to check it out in person. So, we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just figured I would chime in here for a data point. Step 1- 242. Good grades in basic science, all H or NH third year, have my name on 2 paper, one of which was with Legacy Health System in Portland, Oregon. I lived in Oregon for 12 years prior to med school. Even still, no love from OHSU. I'm pretty bummed about it.

I think it is pretty much been shown on this site that there is certainly an element of randomness in all of this.
I got wait listed for UC irvine today.
Which is strange cause I have a New Mexico and a Utah interview. Ectopic, I think you got UC irvine like 2 weeks ago and have since given them the boot. And yet you got the boot from these two programs.
I still have not heard from Hennepin EM, However I got an EM/IM interview from them today.
I also just heard from MCW that I am waitlisted there too. I think everybody and their dog has an interview there. Maybe it is just my perception. Anyway in the mean time I have also gotten the boot from a bunch of places.

Interviews:
Boston Med
Brown
Case Western
Mt Sinai
Beth Isreal NYC
New Mexico
U of Rochester
UCONN
Utah
Henry Ford
UC irvine (waitlisted)
MCW (waitlisted)
Allegany (em/im)
UIC(em/im)
Hennepin(em/im)
Henry Ford(em/im)
LIJ(em/im)
Maryland(em/im)
SUNY(em/im)

Rejected- Highland, Duke, UCSD, OHSU, Maine

Still waiting (however probably not happening)
Denver, U of Arizona, Stanford, Yale, Resurrection, Christ, U of Chicago, Beth Isreal (bean town), U of Pitt, UNC, Hennepin

For those of you interested
Step 1- 233 Step2 CS- passed, Step 2 CK- have not taken
Research in undergrad (no pubs)
good volunteer work
3rd year all HP except 1 pass
4th year 1 Honors (EM) 2 HP
(nothing special)

Later
Lukin

Ah, there's that bitter feeling of rejection I remember so well from applying to medical school...

Rejection - Beth Israel Deaconess

Whatever, I just applied out of appreciation for House of God.

Has anyone heard from UMass yet? I never see their name anywhere on this forum.

Onward with the +pad+ of the day. Got the Smack down from Emory :thumbdown: Perhaps my last name being at the end of the alphabet bought me an extra day :laugh: Also rejected from Hennepin! New developments... Got UMDNJ and Gtown :thumbup: :) I got a little personal note from the PD in my email which I thought was very nice!

As to the randomness of this process.. It doesnt cease to amaze me. I get interviews at places I would have never imagined yet I get rejected from places I shouldnt. Obviously when you compare lists on this site things make eve less sense! In the end we will all get good solid programs from the lists I have seen posted but it still seems weird.

1) Wright State
2) Ohio State U
3) St Vincent
4) Resurrection - Interviewed on 11/7
5) Cook County - Will interview 11/16
6) MCW
7) Eastern Va
8) Johns Hopkins
9) Gtown
10) Michigan
11) Wash U in STL
12) UT-Houston
13) MCG
14) Boston Medical
15) BIDMC

Cancelled/Threw away $$ (39) - Einstein - Philly, Temple, LSUHC, UAB, Albany, Arkansas, ECU - Brody, Texas A&M - Scott and White, York-PA, SUNY-Syracuse, Allegheny, Ole Miss, Penn State Hershey, UPENN, Case Western/Metrohealth, LSU-NO, PITT, Buffalo, MLK, ORMC, St John, Wayne State - Sinai Grace, Grand Rapids -Spectrum, Lincoln, LIJ, North Shore U, Mayo, MSU Kalamazoo, Illinois Peoria, William Beaumont, Baystate, Henry Ford, UC-Irvine, Wayne State - Detroit Medical Center, UConn, Yale, UC-Davis, Missouri, KC - Truman, UMDNJ,

Gulp... Thankfully it turns out these arent on my short list...

Rejected (13) - Highland, Duke, New Mexico, Maine, Cincy, UCSD, Utah, NW, Oregon and Loma Linda, Hennepin, Regions, Emory :mad: ! Looks like the west coast started beating me down and now the rest of the US is piling on! :)

Only 1 major program I am waiting to hear from! U Arizona :eek: Interview me.. please...+pad+

Question-

If you're put on a "waitlist", is it worth interviewing there? Does this mean that they are just 'sort of ' interested in you? I'm deciding whether to spend $400 to go to an interview with a program I love but who waitlisted me. Do I even have a shot there? Can one make a big enough impression during an interview to be bumped up high enough on a ranklist if the program's initial impression is that you're "waitlist" material?

Love to hear some thoughts on this

Snacker said:
Question-

If you're put on a "waitlist", is it worth interviewing there? Does this mean that they are just 'sort of ' interested in you? I'm deciding whether to spend $400 to go to an interview with a program I love but who waitlisted me. Do I even have a shot there? Can one make a big enough impression during an interview to be bumped up high enough on a ranklist if the program's initial impression is that you're "waitlist" material?

Love to hear some thoughts on this

I don't mean to be the "thread police", but I think you ought to post this as a new post. Not just to avoid a thread jack, but I also think you'll get alot more responses and I'd really like to know the answer too!

CS

Just adding a few from the last several days...
Carolinas, Brown, and a rejection (go figure) from BI Harvard. I think that randomness could be applied there.

:love: Total...
Indiana
Cincinnati
Hennepin
Michagin
Duke
Wake
Carolinas
South Carolina
Utah
Harvard/MGH
Brown
Vanderbilt

Rejection: UCSD :thumbdown: , Highland :thumbdown: , and BI/HAEMR :thumbdown:

Still waiting to hear :confused: from UCLA, Emory, Denver, UNC, and OHSU
Back to the MICU....

Daily update: Offered and declined UF-Jacksonville. Too late and not high enough up on my list!

Still waiting on Carolinas.... +pity+

YTD:
1) UT-Houston
2) Texas A&M / Scott & White
3) Texas Tech / El Paso
4) Vanderbilt
5) UTSW
6) LSU-Shreveport
7) Duke
8) Louisville, KY
9) Wake Forest
10) South Carolina
11) USF-Tampa

Cancelled/Declined:
12) UM-Kansas City / Truman
13) LSU / Baton Rouge
14) ECU / Greenville, NC
15) Emory
16) Arkansas
17) Charity/NO :barf:
18) MCG-Augusta
19) Kentucky-Lexington
20) UF-Jacksonville

Rejected:
None yet

Still waiting on:
Carolinas, UF-Gainesville, Orlando, UNC-Chapel Hill

Ill just edit my original post..But I got the old heave ho from Regions.. MN is too cold anyhow. 1st it was just the west coast that was hating on me.. Now the rest of the country is joining in beating me down :smuggrin: :barf: +pissed+ Honestly though if I get U of AZ I am happy and I doubt I will change my list much after that!

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding Northwestern

Interviewed/will interview:

Christ
Cook County
Resurrection
U of Chicago
Northwestern
Ohio State
Grand Rapids
Medical College of Wisconsin
MSU Kalamazoo
Indiana
Washington University (St. Louis)
U of Michigan

Cancelled/Declined:

Beaumont
Medical College of Georgia
U Iowa
U Kentucky
Mayo
Hennepin
Washington U
LSU Shreveport
LSU Baton Rouge
Synergy
UNC
Case Western
Palmetto-Richland
U of Illinois at Peoria
Emory

Rejected:

Duke
Cincinnati

Finally got my coveted UC-Davis interview :love: I was literally in the middle of writing them an email to see what was up when I got a phone call from them.

New List:

Vandy
Hennepin
Carolinas
U Pitt
Emory
UC-Davis
OHSU
Wash U
Christ
Indy
Wake Forest
Tampa
MCW
Christiana
Grand Rapids
Kalamazoo
St. John
Detroit Receiving

Declined:
Cook County
LSU-NO
Boston Med Cntr
U Maryland
Henry Ford
Sinai Grace
Albany
Rochester NY
Case Western
Drexel
U Penn
UTSW

REJECTED: Cincy
Waitlist: Brown
Still No Word: Buffalo, Hopkins, UIC, Denver, UConn

Now the tuff part...where to cancel to downsize the list.

Good and bad news today. Adding Orlando, rejected by BIDMC.

ECU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Vandy
Wash U
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Christiana
UPenn
UVa
UMaryland
VCU
MCG
Jacksonville
Orlando
Palmetto

Rejected: Maine, OHSU, Emory, BIDMC

Still haven't heard from UConn, Denver, UNC, Carolinas. Every day of no rejection from Carolinas or Chapel Hill is a good day, sort of.

today is definitely BIDMC rejection day.....honestly the harvards and maine were the ones i threw on there but figured i'd get rejected from so it's all good. someone asked about umass....i heard from them today. i don't know when they started accepting though. hope that helps. my thinking is if you haven't been rejected, you could hear from progams all the way thru to the end of december as people cancel previously set up interviews (as i may have to b/c everything is turning into a logistical nightmare).

Yeah, i've definately declined/cancelled a few for purely logistical reasons. I can't justify spending $500-600 travelling somewhere that doesn't have a great chance of matching me anyway.

Med

Well I guess I wasn't 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on their list, but Albany offered one today. I'm also noticing that all the love except UT-Houston are from places near home...hummmmmmmmm interesting.

Total:
St. Barnabas, Bronx (Osteo)
Albert Einstein, Philly
SUNY Buffalo
Morristown NJ[/QUOTE]
SUNY Upstate
Wright State
Akron General
UT- Houston
Suny Downstate
Maryland EM/Peds
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Rochester
Albany Med

Rejection: Northwestern

MedDeac said:
Yeah, i've definately declined/cancelled a few for purely logistical reasons. I can't justify spending $500-600 travelling somewhere that doesn't have a great chance of matching me anyway.

Med

I think the general goal is to do interviews at places that would be in your top 10-12. I dont see value in interviewing somewhere you dont want to be, whether that is for purely geographic reasons or not.

Onward with the +pad+ of the day. A REAL slow day. The only new development... Got UCLA-Harbor :confused: I thought the Cali programs wouldnt love me but lo and behold. It is my 3rd one. Sadly as hard as I heard it is to get those interviews I got the boot from Emory and still no love from U Az. I would trade UC-Irvine, Davis and UCLA-Harbor for Emory and U Az. The complete randomness continues. I interviewed with Cook today and I was 100% impressed. Their grads do incredibly well and the faculty ROCKS.

1) Wright State
2) Ohio State U
3) St Vincent
5) Cook County - Interviewed on 11/16
6) MCW
7) Eastern Va
8) Johns Hopkins
9) Gtown
10) Michigan
11) Wash U in STL
12) UT-Houston
13) MCG
14) Boston Medical
15) BIDMC

Cancelled/Threw away $$ (40) - Einstein - Philly, Temple, LSUHC, UAB, Albany, Arkansas, ECU - Brody, Texas A&M - Scott and White, York-PA, SUNY-Syracuse, Allegheny, Ole Miss, Penn State Hershey, UPENN, Case Western/Metrohealth, LSU-NO, PITT, Buffalo, MLK, ORMC, St John, Wayne State - Sinai Grace, Grand Rapids -Spectrum, Lincoln, LIJ, North Shore U, Mayo, MSU Kalamazoo, Illinois Peoria, William Beaumont, Baystate, Henry Ford, UC-Irvine, Wayne State - Detroit Medical Center, UConn, Yale, UC-Davis, Missouri, KC - Truman, UMDNJ, UCLA-Harbor

Rejected (13) - Highland, Duke, New Mexico, Maine, Cincy, UCSD, Utah, NW, Oregon and Loma Linda, Hennepin, Regions, Emory :mad: ! Looks like the west coast started beating me down and now the rest of the US is piling on! :)

Only 1 major program I am waiting to hear from! U Arizona :eek: Interview me.. please... I guess I will hear on Friday but I have a feeling and some inside info that it doesnt look good :( Maybe with some persistance I can make it happen! +pad+

Got UF-Jax yesterday. Also got a "your app is still being reviewed" by Wake today.

YTD
UAB
Christiana
Orlando
USF
Emory
Vandy
Cincinnati
Lousiville
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
GWU
UF-Jax
MCG
ECU
Duke
Carolinas
LSU-NO

Declined/cancelled
UTSW
UT-Houston
UVA
EVMS
Ole Miss
South Carolina

Okay, so a 279 on step 2 better get you 21/21 interviews...I mean that puts it a little better perspective. Holy crap!

Congrats...

I got the thing from Wake too. I thought it would be a rejection. I guess not.. but I know it is coming soon enough! I think the writing is on the wall for me. But since I have other interviews I prefer more it is a moot point.

Got the same email from Wake. Can only hope for the best. :) At least they said by friday, so should know in 2 days -- not too bad.

emmd2b said:
Okay, so a 279 on step 2 better get you 21/21 interviews...I mean that puts it a little better perspective. Holy crap!

Congrats...

I don't know what to say. For some reason, I do well on tests given by the NBME.

Got Umass this morning. I will update later. I know, I know you are all on pins and needles waiting for me to update. :)

Adding Wake Forest. :D

Cook County received and declined yesterday. Not much new love coming in...

Total:
BIDMC
BWH/MGH
Boston Medical
Louisville
Johns Hopkins
UMD
George Washington
VCU
Wake Forest
Duke
Vandy
Emory
MCG
UAB

Declined:
USC, Northwestern, Cook Co., Georgetown, UVa, UTSW

Rejected:
None

Waiting:
EVMC, UNC-CH

Not much of an update, but here's the current schedule:

1. St. John (Detroit) - DONE 27 Oct
2. St. Vincent (Toledo) - DONE 8 Nov
3. Akron General - DONE 15 Nov
4. Ohio State - DONE 16 Nov
5. Wayne State (Detroit) - 21 Nov
6. Wright State (Dayton) - 30 Nov
7. MSU (Kalamazoo) - 6 Dec
8. Synergy (Saginaw) - 8 Dec
9. USF (Tampa) - 14 Dec
10. Orlando - 15 Dec
11. SUMMA (Akron) - 4 Jan
12. Spectrum (Grand Rapids) - 11 Jan
13. MCW - 18 Jan

Declined/Canceled: Kentucky, Henry Ford, Sinai-Grace
Not scheduled but offered: Wm Beaumont
Not heard a THING: Buffalo :confused: , Indiana, MSU (Lansing)

Called EVMS today. Glad I did. They had my app sitting around waiting for the deans letter that's been up since Nov. 1. SNAFU. :rolleyes:

MedDeac said:
Called EVMS today. Glad I did. They had my app sitting around waiting for the deans letter that's been up since Nov. 1. SNAFU. :rolleyes:
It was the whole EVMC thing a few posts up. We're really sensitive here. (That's a joke. We hardly ever cry.)

Adding Wake Forest today.

UAB
Christiana
Orlando
USF
Emory
Vandy
Cincinnati
Lousiville
Indiana
Johns Hopkins
GWU
UF-Jax
MCG
ECU
Duke
Carolinas
LSU-NO
Wake Forest

Declined/cancelled
UTSW
UT-Houston
UVA
EVMS
Ole Miss
South Carolina

Unfortunately, since all the Carolina schools contacted me at different times, I may have to make two trips. Oh well, at least it's tax deductible (yeah :thumbup: ).

Mary Jane Watson said:
Oh well, at least it's tax deductible (yeah :thumbup: ).

Are you sure about that? I was told that only if you are already in the profession, and are looking for work in that profession, then you can count interviewing as a tax deduction. So when going as a resident to interview, it IS, but when going as a student, it is NOT. I am not sure, but this is what I heard.

turtle said:
Are you sure about that? I was told that only if you are already in the profession, and are looking for work in that profession, then you can count interviewing as a tax deduction.

Correct.

So when going as a resident to interview, it IS, but when going as a student, it is NOT. I am not sure, but this is what I heard.

Unsure about this one.

turtle said:
Are you sure about that? I was told that only if you are already in the profession, and are looking for work in that profession, then you can count interviewing as a tax deduction. So when going as a resident to interview, it IS, but when going as a student, it is NOT. I am not sure, but this is what I heard.

As a non-medical student with a personal interest in watching the ER residence process, I can say that this is absolutely true. You can only deduct expenses when you are already in the trade or business. If you're looking for work in a new trade or business, you can't deduct those expenses.

In any event, how many of you are really going to be making enough money for it to matter? If you spend several thousand dollars this year, what income will those deductions offset, especially once you add in education tax credits?

Don't mean to be the thread police, but lets keep this thread to interviews offered -- maybe start a new thread for the other. :)

Onward with the +pad+ of the day. Man this is getting old! So I tried to schedule Houston but apparently all the slots are full so I am waiting on one of you good kind folks to drop that (soon please :) ). Got the Smack down from Maricopa :thumbdown: Kinda SUCKS! New developments... Got UMass and Drexel :thumbup: :) This is starting to wear me down a little and the old checking my email q2seconds is done. I am just ready to get my interview on and get on to match day!

1) Wright State
2) Ohio State U
3) St Vincent
5) Cook County - Interviewed on 11/16
6) MCW
7) Eastern Va
8) Johns Hopkins
9) Gtown
10) Michigan
11) Wash U in STL
12) UT-Houston
13) MCG
14) Boston Medical
15) BIDMC

Cancelled/Threw away $$ (42) - Einstein - Philly, Temple, LSUHC, UAB, Albany, Arkansas, ECU - Brody, Texas A&M - Scott and White, York-PA, SUNY-Syracuse, Allegheny, Ole Miss, Penn State Hershey, UPENN, Case Western/Metrohealth, LSU-NO, PITT, Buffalo, MLK, ORMC, St John, Wayne State - Sinai Grace, Grand Rapids -Spectrum, Lincoln, LIJ, North Shore U, Mayo, MSU Kalamazoo, Illinois Peoria, William Beaumont, Baystate, Henry Ford, UC-Irvine, Wayne State - Detroit Medical Center, UConn, Yale, UC-Davis, Missouri, KC - Truman, UMDNJ, UCLA Harbor, UMass, and Drexel

Rejected (14) - Highland, Duke, New Mexico, Maine, Cincy, UCSD, Utah, NW, Oregon and Loma Linda, Hennepin, Regions, Emory, Maricopa, the copa cabana!

Only 1 major program I am waiting to hear from! U Arizona :eek: Interview me.. please...+pad+

ErGirl said:
Don't mean to be the thread police, but lets keep this thread to interviews offered -- maybe start a new thread for the other. :)

That's right... you can't be the thread police cause I already am... :laugh:

uncwalley said:
It was the whole EVMC thing a few posts up. We're really sensitive here. (That's a joke. We hardly ever cry.)

maybe if i'd had interview materials in my hand I wouldn't have messed it up. ;) Seriously, my S.O. and I would really like to interview there. I keep hearing Norfolk is a pretty sweet place to live.

CS_22 said:
That's right... you can't be the thread police cause I already am... :laugh:

I am checking on the above with my uncle who is a CPA... any more info on it and I will start a new thread. Discussion here closed. ;)

So, quick update --- Got love from Denver yesterday!! :love: But -- got my first rejection today--UNC Chapel Hill - apparently they had over 750 applications for their 8 spots. What losers!!!! j/k :( Oh well -the rejections were bound to come at some point!!!!

ErGirl said:
So, quick update --- Got love from Denver yesterday!! :love: But -- got my first rejection today--UNC Chapel Hill - apparently they had over 750 applications for their 8 spots. What losers!!!! j/k :( Oh well -the rejections were bound to come at some point!!!!

UNC-CH can also kiss mine. So close to having no rejections I could taste it. ;) Shows what I know... here I was planning on UNC being sort of a middle tier option. Am I missing something about those guys? :confused:

UNC will have to kiss mine first. Where's the loyalty?

ECU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Vandy
Wash U
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Christiana
UPenn
UVa
UMaryland
VCU
MCG
Jacksonville
Orlando
Palmetto

Rejected: Maine, OHSU, Emory, BIDMC, UNC

Come'on Carolinas. Mama wants me to come home.

MedDeac said:
UNC-CH can also kiss mine. So close to having no rejections I could taste it. ;) Shows what I know... here I was planning on UNC being sort of a middle tier option. Am I missing something about those guys? :confused:

I think it's called having Dr. Tintinalli on faculty/chair -- but I'm with you -- it wasn't at the top of my list by a long shot.

uncwalley said:
UNC will have to kiss mine first. Where's the loyalty?

ECU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Vandy
Wash U
Duke
Johns Hopkins
Christiana
UPenn
UVa
UMaryland
VCU
MCG
Jacksonville
Orlando
Palmetto

Rejected: Maine, OHSU, Emory, BIDMC, UNC

Come'on Carolinas. Mama wants me to come home.

It seems to be Chapel Hill rejection day. Ah, well.................misery loves company. :laugh:

First rejection for me too - UNC-CH. Oh well, was probably going to decline them anyways.

Still waiting on Carolinas....

YTD:
1) UT-Houston
2) Texas A&M / Scott & White
3) Texas Tech / El Paso
4) Vanderbilt
5) UTSW
6) LSU-Shreveport
7) Duke
8) Louisville, KY
9) Wake Forest
10) South Carolina
11) USF-Tampa

Cancelled/Declined:
12) UM-Kansas City / Truman
13) LSU / Baton Rouge
14) ECU / Greenville, NC
15) Emory
16) Arkansas
17) Charity/NO
18) MCG-Augusta
19) Kentucky-Lexington
20) UF-Jacksonville

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill

Still waiting on:
Carolinas, UF-Gainesville, Orlando

Adding Wake Forest today...

YTD:

1. Wake Forest
2. Carolinas
3. Vandy
4. OSU
5. SUMMA
6. UPitt
7. Allegheny
8. Indiana
9. Kalamazoo
10. Beaumont
11. Grand Rapids
12. Saginaw
13. Christ
14. Resurrection
15. Peoria
16. MCW
17. Regions
18. Hennepin

Waitlist
1) UNC

Never heard from
1) Akron General

That's it! The waiting is over (unless you count Akron)....

My first post in this thread:

YTD:
Indiana U
EVMS
UC Davis
Cleveland Metrohealth
U of Maryland
Wash U in St. Louis
UPenn
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pitt