Official "Interviews Offered" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey when did most of you guys start getting your interviews? Which tend to be the hardest ones to get?

Members don't see this ad.

ArtGod said:
Hey when did most of you guys start getting your interviews? Which tend to be the hardest ones to get?

Take a look at who rejected me.. :) :laugh:

Seriously IMO the programs that are the hardest to get, i.e. most competitive tend to be most along the west coast, then in the midwest, Cincy, Indiana, Southeast: Emory and Vandy, in the northeast I really dont know. I think to some degree it depends on where you are coming from. It can be hard for an east coast person to get west coast interviews if you havent rotated out there or have some tie to the west coast you can demonstrate.

Waitlisted at UVa and Indiana. Asked to not be on their waitlist. Rejected from NYU/Bellevue. Nothing else new. I might end up cancelling my Ohio/Detroit interviews later today. Gonna depend on a few things.. :thumbup: That would be super sweet IMO!

1) Wright State
2) Ohio State U
3) St Vincent - Will interview on 12/13
4) Resurrection - Interviewed on 11/7
5) Cook County - Interviewed on 11/16
6) MCW
7) Eastern Va
8) Johns Hopkins
9) Gtown
10) Michigan
11) Wash U in STL
12) UT-Houston
13) MCG
14) Boston Medical
15) BIDMC
16) Denver?(what to do?)

Cancelled/Threw away $$ (48) - Einstein - Philly, Temple, LSUHC, UAB, Albany, Arkansas, ECU - Brody, Texas A&M - Scott and White, York-PA, SUNY-Syracuse, Allegheny, Ole Miss, Penn State Hershey, UPENN, Case Western/Metrohealth, LSU-NO, PITT, Buffalo, MLK, ORMC, St John, Wayne State - Sinai Grace, Grand Rapids -Spectrum, Lincoln, LIJ, North Shore U, Mayo, MSU Kalamazoo, Illinois Peoria, William Beaumont, Baystate, Henry Ford, UC-Irvine, Wayne State - Detroit Medical Center, UConn, Yale, UC-Davis, Missouri, KC - Truman, UMDNJ, UCLA Harbor, UMass, Drexel, Palmetto, SoCal, Nebraska, Louisville, UVa, Indiana

Wait List (1) - Wake Forest

Rejected (20) - Highland, Duke, New Mexico, Maine, Cincy, UCSD, Utah, NW, Oregon, Loma Linda, Hennepin, Regions, Emory, Maricopa, UNC-CH, Arizona, Stanford, Vandy, UCLA Olive View, NYU/Bellevue

Thank god this checking my email q5mins is about over. I can interview, get that over and relax the rest of the yr. :thumbup:

hmm what will i do with my time? :idea: --->EtOH?

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess I'll join the fun...

Interviews:
1) Allegheny General
2) Resurrection
3) UMDNJ
4) Newark Beth Israel
5) Eastern Va
6) Albert Einstein Beth Israel NYC
7) St. Luke's-Roosevelt
8) Georgetown

Turned down:
1) SUNY Buffalo

Wait Listed:
1) UVa
2) UPenn

Waiting to hear from:
UIC, Christiana, Orlando, USF, Christ Advocate, Northwestern, Maryland, NY Presby, Einstein PA, Drexel, Temple, TJU, UPMC, Brown, MCVa

Rejected:
Arizona, Emory, NYU

I'll still be checking my email every 5 minutes I guess :(

2nd post today.. Nothing new except a little clarity in the way my life will proceed. As such I have cancelled some of my interviews! :thumbup:
Removing Michigan and Ohio State now means I wont be at a place with some football. Sucks.. :cool: Im cool though.

1) Wash U in STL
2) UT-Houston
3) MCG
4) Resurrection - Interviewed on 11/7
5) Cook County - Interviewed on 11/16
6) Boston Medical
7) Eastern Va
8) Johns Hopkins
9) Gtown
10) BIDMC
11) Denver (scheduled)

Cancelled/Threw away $$ (48) - Einstein - Philly, Temple, LSUHC, UAB, Albany, Arkansas, ECU - Brody, Texas A&M - Scott and White, York-PA, SUNY-Syracuse, Allegheny, Ole Miss, Penn State Hershey, UPENN, Case Western/Metrohealth, LSU-NO, PITT, Buffalo, MLK, ORMC, St John, Wayne State - Sinai Grace, Grand Rapids -Spectrum, Lincoln, LIJ, North Shore U, Mayo, MSU Kalamazoo, Illinois Peoria, William Beaumont, Baystate, Henry Ford, UC-Irvine, Wayne State - Detroit Medical Center, UConn, Yale, UC-Davis, Missouri, KC - Truman, UMDNJ, UCLA Harbor, UMass, Drexel, Palmetto, SoCal, Nebraska, Louisville, UVa, Indiana, Ohio State, Wayne State, MCW, St Vincent (Toledo), Michigan.

Wait List (1) - Wake Forest

Rejected (20) - Highland, Duke, New Mexico, Maine, Cincy, UCSD, Utah, NW, Oregon, Loma Linda, Hennepin, Regions, Emory, Maricopa, UNC-CH, Arizona, Stanford, Vandy, UCLA Olive View, NYU/Bellevue, Arizona

The football thing is not overrated! I just got back from Iowa City, Iowa, home of the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. Those people worship the good Lord on Sunday, but they worship the black and yellow on M-Sat! It is a gorgeous city with lots of culture and scenery. The hospital is one of the nicest I have ever seen. There is definitely a different feel from a University campus with the hospital right next door to the football stadium. It is surprising to me that more of you midwesterners are not listing U. Iowa on your applied to or interviewing at list. It'll be in my top choices I can almost guarantee.

That said, I got rejected from Louisville today twice! It really pissed me off because the first one mentioned that I failed to meet their minimal requirements upon review of my application. I think we can all attest that the vast majority of the rejections are polite, and sometimes even too polite. They usually say that although they found the application competitive and full of excellent things, that there were simply too many people in the pool to interview them all.

I felt like calling them and asking whether it was my Mexican name, my soon to be DO initials, or my top grades and scores that failed to meet the minimum criteria. Or was it my many years working in the medical field already? Or was it that I don't own a damn horse and can't define what Trifecta is? Whatever the case, I had forgotten I even applied to that place. I was so freaking tempted to send them an email but my smarter side got the best of me. My military sniper side though was holding up a wet finger for windage!!

The football thing is def not overrated. If I end up at MCG it is about 90 mins to Athens for some good southern football which I prefer to big 11 (they cant count I think) football. Football rocks!

Got Louisville, but declined

Interviewed/will interview (12), FINAL LIST:

Christ
Cook County
University of Chicago
Northwestern
UIC
Resurrection
Grand Rapids
MSU Kalamazoo
University of Michigan
Medical College of Wisconsin
Indiana University
Washington University (St. Louis)

Cancelled/Declined (17):

Beaumont
Medical College of Georgia
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky
Mayo
Hennepin
LSU Shreveport
LSU Baton Rouge
Synergy
UNC
Case Western
Palmetto-Richland
University of Illinois at Peoria
Emory
MCV/VCU
Ohio State
Louisville

Rejected (3):

Duke
Cincinnati
Vanderbilt

On hold (1):

Wake Forest

Never heard back (2):
Carolinas
MSU Sparrow

Final List:

LSU-BR
Texas Tech
U. Iowa
UMKC
UI Peoria
Indiana U.
Duke
Maricopa
Mayo
Ohio State
U Pitt
Case Western/Metro
Christ
UTSW
MCG
Palmetto
Arkansas
Penn State
Geisinger
Scott and White, Texas A&M

Declined:
Cincinnati (I know I know!!!)
Emory (cancelled but waitlisted for a reschedule date)
Allegheny
Einstein
Maryland
Eastern Carolina
U. South Florida
Nebraska U
U Kentucky

Rejected:
U New Mexico
UCDavis
Denver
Hopkins
UIChicago
UChicago
MCW
Hennepin
Regions
Alabama U
Wake
Carolinas
UNC
Vandy
UVa

Never heard from
MCV

Here's my list...

Will/Have Interviewed:
Highland
Denver
Hennepin
Mayo
Michigan
Ohio State
Maricopa
Christ
Wash U St. Louis
Cook County
U of Chicago
New Mexico
Case Western/MetroHealth
Ford

Undecided: (any pros/cons on these programs would be appreciated!)
UCLA Harbor
Indiana
MCW

Rejected:
UCSD
Cincy
Oregon

Haven't heard from:
Utah
USC

I received the following from Carolinas today:
"We really appreciate your interest in the Emergency Medicine Residency Program at Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte, North Carolina. We continue to review application materials and will offer interview invitations as this year's space allows. We hope to have an answer for you in the near future. Be assured that your application is considered in the same way as all others, and your patience is not lost on us. We interview through January."

I'm not holding out too much hope for them, as I doubt anyone is going to cancel Carolinas at this point. I am happy with my list thus far though!

YTD:
1) DONE : UT-Houston
2) DONE : Texas Tech / El Paso
3) Dec : Texas A&M / Scott & White
4) Dec : LSU-Shreveport
5) Jan : UTSW
6) Jan : Vanderbilt
7) Jan : USF-Tampa
8) Jan : South Carolina
9) Jan : Duke
10) Jan : Wake Forest

Cancelled/Declined:
11) Louisville
12) UM-Kansas City / Truman
13) LSU / Baton Rouge
14) ECU / Greenville, NC
15) Emory
16) Arkansas
17) Charity/NO
18) MCG-Augusta
19) Kentucky-Lexington
20) UF-Jacksonville

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill

Still waiting on:
Carolinas, UF-Gainesville, Orlando

My final list....

1)Texas Tech- EP (Done)
2) UTSW (Done)
3) TX A&M Scott & White (Dec)
4) Wash U (Dec)
5) Cook County- PGY 2 pos.( Jan)
6) G-town (Jan)
7) U of Maryland ( Jan)
8) Indiana (Jan)
9) Christiana (Jan)
10) LSU- S (Jan)
11) Mississippi - PGY2 pos. (Feb)

Cancelled a few mainly due to location and hubby's job. - Vandy, GrandRapids, UT-Houston, Resurrection, St. Lukes PA,

Denied: UNM, Oregon, Denver, Arizona

Never heard from: Maricopa, George Washington, Carolinas- but I think my schedule is set now.

cancelled Harvard and Mayo today. Now some of you folks should be nice enough to cancel U of Chicago

Members don't see this ad :)
Ralph,

You would be absolutely nuts if you declined Indiana! I was there today and I am still trying to digest what I saw. I did not know there were places like this anywhere!

corpsmanUP said:
Ralph,

You would be absolutely nuts if you declined Indiana! I was there today and I am still trying to digest what I saw. I did not know there were places like this anywhere!

i heard that the each em resident is crowned king or queen for the week. JOOOOOY :love:

Have not posted in long time,
I have been traveling

Interviewed/interviewing
Case MetroHealth
Allegheny EM/IM
Brown
Boston Medical
UCONN
Yale
Maryland EM/IM
University of Chicago
UIC EM/IM
Hennepin EM/IM
University of Wisconsin
Henry Ford
Henry Ford EM/IM
University of Rochester
New Mexico
Utah
UC irvine

Declined
Mt Sinai, Beth Iseral NYC, Christiana Care EM/IM, SUNY downstate EM/IM, LIJ EM/IM,

Rejected
Arizona, Highland, Denver, UCSD, OHSU, Maine, Hennepin EM, Stanford, Beth iseral (boston), UCLA EM/IM, U PITT, DUKE, UNC,

Never heard but probably would not go
Resurrection, Christ

Final List!!!

St. Barnabas, Bronx (Osteo) (Done)
SUNY Buffalo (Done)
SUNY Upstate (Done)
Akron General (Done)
UT- Houston (Done)
Maryland EM/Peds - just for the hell of it-(Done)
Albert Einstein, Philly
Wright State
Albany Med
SUNY Downstate EM/IM
SUNY Stony Brook
University of Rochester
Christiana EM/IM

Cancel:
Morristown, NJ
LSU Charity, NO
Newark Beth Israel/Union

Rejection: Northwestern, Cook County, UMDNJ-Newark

Offered and declined the new program at the University of Florida at Gainesville today. See my post under the "New Program" thread for the letter if you want more details on this program. At this point, I will only pay more money to interview at Carolinas, if offered.

YTD:
3) DONE : Texas A&M / Scott & White
4) Dec : LSU-Shreveport

Cancelled/Declined:
11) Louisville
13) LSU / Baton Rouge
14) ECU / Greenville, NC
15) Emory
16) Arkansas
17) Charity/NO
18) MCG-Augusta
19) Kentucky-Lexington
20) UF-Jacksonville
21) UF-Gainesville

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill

Still waiting on:
Carolinas, Orlando

curlymd said:
I don't know much about their EM program, I rotated there in another specialty. But, the transportation issue is serious there. Very limited parking options, but I think they were planning a new parking lot-- don't know the current sit. No nearby T. Most people live off a busline. Otherwise, you have to take a bus to the train station, some of which are a little scary. Not a great neighborhood to walk around in. I also thought this was a major drawback, especially when you are keeping odd hours as a resident.

I'm a prelim in IM at Boston Medical Center and will be doing my EM training at BMC next year, so I'd like to quickly clear some things up. First, all HO's get subsidized parking (about 35 bucks a month). It's about 2 blocks from the hospital campus. You are correct that the T stop isn't very close...probably an 8 minute walk down Mass Ave. The neighborhood is relatively safe and I've walked home late in the evening and I've walked to work early in the morning. Haven't had any problems but being a city hospital there are occasional issues. There is also a taxi voucher program although I haven't used it.

Is it just me or does anyone else think they are just throwing the apps in the air and letting some fall in the "will interview" and others fall into the "won't interview" pile.

okay got rejected from places I expected : University of Chicago and Denver.

But also got rejected from places I was sure I would get: Henry Ford and Arkansas?!?

But also, got accepted to places I totally thought I would get rejected from : Harvard (I guess Arkansas is just a little more selective than Harvard!) and Washington U St. Louis

And I just saw a dog and cat sleeping together - is this the end of the world? :laugh:

List has been finalized, pending those I'm waiting on:

Interviewed/Will interview:
Chicago COM (osteo) IM/EM DONE
Washington U EM 12/12
LSU Baton Rouge EM 12/14
UT Houston EM 12/19
UT Southwest EM 12/20
Resurrection EM jan
Cook County EM jan
Allegheny IM/EM jan
Orlando EM feb

Canceled:
Chicago COM (osteo) EM/FM
UIC
LSU Shreveport
Christiana IM/EM
Scott + White
Harvard (just wanted to see if I could get an interview)

Rejected:
Denver
U of Chicago
Henry Ford
Arkansas?

Waiting on:
Christ (please, please, please)
Tampa
Jacksonville

Best of luck to everyone!

The Mish

Dr.MISHKA said:
But also, got accepted to places I totally thought I would get rejected from : Harvard (I guess Arkansas is just a little more selective than Harvard!) and Washington U St. Louis

And I just saw a dog and cat sleeping together - is this the end of the world? :laugh:

Both harvard & wash u are relative newcomers to the world of EM. Both are fine programs, but neither name carries the weight in EM that they do in other areas.

Cant speak on Harvard but I was at Wash U this week and I was incredibly impressed. I had written this HUGE review in the completed interview thread and then my computer crapped out. If you have any Qs PM me though. Great great place and great placement of their residents.

has anyone been to an interview @ rochester, ny? what was your take on the program?

sort_timer said:
has anyone been to an interview @ rochester, ny? what was your take on the program?

I interviewed there last year. I thought it was a top quality program with a lot of unusual perks - no ward months, trauma as an upper year with no floor coverage, an awesome looking, space-age ED. I actually went back for a 2nd look at this one. Interviewed early fall - beautiful scenery around the city, and not too drab a place. But in late January, way too much snow and cold, and it made the city just feel dirty. Decided that I could not last three winters there. But still a great program, IMO. Definately consider it.

Just FYI, Brown is opening spots for those that needed to go on waitlists etc.

Give them a holler if you are still interested in heading out there.

5 interviews down, and I have ZERO interest in adding any more to the 7 remaining!

Hello all,
I hope you're all enjoying your interviews :) We decided to cancel 2 today and go with an even dozen. The final list:

1. St. John (Detroit) - done
2. St. Vincent - done
3. Akron General - done
4. Ohio State - done
5. Wayne State/DMC - done
6. Wright State - done
7. Kalamazoo - done
8. Synergy/Saginaw - done
9. USF - done
10. Orlando - done
11. Akron SUMMA - Jan 4
12. Buffalo - Jan 5

Canceled/Declined - MCW, UK, Wm Beaumont, Henry Ford, Wayne State Sinai-Grace, Grand Rapids, Indiana (declined the wait list interview, wasn't offered the "real one" :) ), MSU Lansing

Good luck, everyone - hope to see some of you out there!

Because I have decided to do a 3 day "second look fest" at some places I really want my wife to see, I am cancelling Christ for January 6th. I'll be emailing them a message soon so Mishka...weren't you the one who wanted this one?

corpsmanUP said:
Because I have decided to do a 3 day "second look fest" at some places I really want my wife to see, I am cancelling Christ for January 6th. I'll be emailing them a message soon so Mishka...weren't you the one who wanted this one?

Christ is a phenomenal program! :thumbup:

Im 1/2 way done with the interviews and it feels SOO GOOD!

tiene dolor? said:
Christ is a phenomenal program! :thumbup:

I have absolutely no doubt that they are phenomenol, but I have decided that living in Chicago is less desirable than some of the smaller places that have incredible programs as well. I'm just doing a couple of second looks....already done one, and I feel confident that I am making a good decision.

Chicago is cold.. Great in the summer I am quite ready to go back to the warm weather! We will see where we end up.

Oh and Corpsman I know you are a family man.. and chicago is quite expensive esp if you want a house big enough for your wife and kids.

Damn! Too little too late. I just finished dancing around cursing after opening my e-mail at my brother's house (I am on the interview trail) with my morning coffee and found my rejection letter from Christ (Rejected by Christ on a Sunday how fitting :smuggrin: ) I just got a letter from Tampa that they "have my file under review." So maybe that will work out. I hope.

Here is where things stand so far
Interviews:
Chicago COM (osteo) IM/EM DONE not bad, with a chance to rotate in many of Chicago's hospitals, but base hospital is small and intern yr brutal I hear
Washington U EM DONE Very impressed, but a 4 year program
LSU Baton Rouge EM DONE - solid, but no frills - like an 85 chevy pickup (brown and tan - with a big dent in the bumper)
UT Houston EM DONE Pleasantly surprised, great program just jumped up a whole lot in my eyes
UT Southwest EM DONE - solid, great faculty. Great Research
Resurrection EM JAN
Cook County EM JAN
Allegheny IM/EM JAN
Orlando EM FEB

Canceled:
Chicago COM (osteo) EM/FM
UIC
LSU Shreveport
Christiana IM/EM
Scott + White
Harvard (just wanted to see if I could get an interview)

Rejected:
Denver
U of Chicago
Henry Ford - not due to all out loathe, but require an osteo internship before Residency
Arkansas?
Christ - My Lord hath forsaken me, I am no more!!

Waiting on:
Tampa - come on quit teazing me. let me know something. Quinn help me out here!
Jacksonville

Will someone please cancel cook county!!!???

I'm finally DONE WITH INTERVIEWS!!!! yipppeeeeee. Last week was my last one. feels so nice to be done. good luck to the rest of y'all! hang in there.

later

ok i will cancel hopkins if someone will cancel U of Chicago. Come on!! for the love of GOD!!! :)

I am just curious. I would like to know what kind of board scores, experiences, all out grandure , etc people had that got interviews at Christ, Denver, U of Chicago, or Jacksonville. Also I would like to know if any D.O.'s got interviews at these places and their relative stats. Any info would be great relief for my curiousity. Happy holidays everyone. I am stuffed and a little stuffy (AAACHOOO!) Hope everyone is holding up on the trail.

Best Wishes,

The Mish

MIshka I cant speak on the Do thing but You can look in the past and see the places that didnt offer me an interview and while some surprised me I did get interviews at Denver UCLA-Harbor and some of the other big boys. I got rejected from Christ, U of C and I havent heard from Jax yet.. Go figure.. It is almost 2006 and I dont know if they want me. Of course at this point I have no interest!

Hey,
I have been thinking about dropping some interviews.
Specifically UIC.
Does anyone have any good or bad things to say about the program?
I know this is not the forum, but if you could just message me that would be great.

thanks.
Lukin

Cancelled Palmetto and Medical College of Georgia today for anyone interested. I only have UTSW, Arkansas, Geisinger, and Scott and White left now. I think I have finalized though 3 of my top 4 now and one of these above has the potential to enter this grouping at any spot...perhaps.

Did one second look a few weeks back and have one more coming up next week.

I dropped UIC because I did a month rotating there at one of their three hospitals. I didn't really like the atmosphere, and some of the attendings were very nice, but several were very malignant (and not just the usual amount of a couple of old farts.) I also found the didactics to be weak and less emphasized compared to other Chicago and other regional programs were I rotated (okay I did encountered one program with weaker didactics in Tulsa). Hope the info helps.

Best wishes

The Mish

I cancelled Beaumont and Resurrection this week...hope it opens up a spot for someone who's interested! Hope interviews are going well for everyone.

Over the past couple of weeks I've cancelled/declined a bunch of programs as geography/spouse's job has begun to win out. I have just 1 interview left and hope someone gets my spot at:
Duke, Carolinas, Wake Forest, ECU, Jax and MCG. Offered and declined Georgetown.

:luck: MJ

Haven't posted in awhile, so I figured I'd +pad+

Most of my interviews still coming up in January, so hopefully I will see some of you guys on the trail. At this point, I can't see adding Carolinas even though Mary Jane declined them and they may offer???

YTD:
4) DONE : LSU-Shreveport

Cancelled/Declined:
11) Louisville
13) LSU / Baton Rouge
14) ECU / Greenville, NC
15) Emory
16) Arkansas
17) Charity/NO
18) MCG-Augusta
19) Kentucky-Lexington
20) UF-Jacksonville
21) UF-Gainesville

Rejected:
UNC-Chapel Hill

Still waiting on:
Carolinas, Orlando

Really I am using this to +pad+ and I havent posted on here in a while. Once match day comes and goes Ill let everyone know exactly why I applied to a ton of programs. Good news is I will only interview at 9 of them.

Done: Cook County, Resurrection, Wash U, Henry Ford, ORMC

Upcoming: Just 4 on the west coast.

I did cancel Denver 2 weeks ago so I hope a nice SDN person gets that spot if they wish. I cancelled a ton of interviews (I probably finished with 85 offers and 15 or so rejects.) I am still "waiting" on Carolinas and Wake but I will prob send them an email this week with the old thanx but no thanx. I wont be taking those interviews due to geographic constraints that are now well in place.

EctopicFetus said:
Once match day comes and goes Ill let everyone know exactly why I applied to a ton of programs.

I have to admit I'm curious about what decisions y'all have been busy making. Career? Education?

Ill leave it open saying "career"... I dont want to build the suspense too high since I think people would be disappointed to find out if they expect something real cool. It isnt that cool but I would like to keep it under wraps until s/p match!

Hey EF and anyone else, I have an interview coming up at Ford and am wondering what you thought of it. I don't know anyone from the Detroit programs or from Detroit. It would be good to get your thoughts. Thanks.

EctopicFetus said:
Really I am using this to +pad+ and I havent posted on here in a while. Once match day comes and goes Ill let everyone know exactly why I applied to a ton of programs. Good news is I will only interview at 9 of them.

Done: Cook County, Resurrection, Wash U, Henry Ford, ORMC

Upcoming: Just 4 on the west coast.

I did cancel Denver 2 weeks ago so I hope a nice SDN person gets that spot if they wish. I cancelled a ton of interviews (I probably finished with 85 offers and 15 or so rejects.) I am still "waiting" on Carolinas and Wake but I will prob send them an email this week with the old thanx but no thanx. I wont be taking those interviews due to geographic constraints that are now well in place.

Antonia.. check your inbox.. i sent you a PM...

Another shameless +pad+

Ectopic, the suspense is KILLING ME!! :laugh:
OK, maybe it's just torturing me a teeny bit...........

YTD:
4) DONE : LSU-Shreveport
5) DONE : UTSW / Dallas
6) Jan : Vanderbilt / Nashville
7) Jan : USF / Tampa

HALFWAY THERE!!