***Official Integrated Vascular Surgery Match 2012-2013***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vsurge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I figured it's time to start the VS interview thread. So far, I've only heard from one program in regards to an interview.

South Carolina
MUSC (9/21) - 11/30-12/1, 12/7-12/8, 1/4-1/5

Members don't see this ad.

Ive only heard from MUSC as well. :oops: okay phew. Starting to freak out. I got an email from UAB saying that they will review apps and invite in first week of DECEMBER (!!!). Arghhh why so late. I'm hoping Monday when Dean's letters go out that there will be more invites :(. :smuggrin:

Illinois
SIU (10/2) - 11/20, 11/26, 12/6, 12/12, 12/14

Michigan
U Michigan

Ohio
Case Western (10/3) - 11/7, 12/7

South Carolina

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I'll add to the list:

-Case Western
-Univ of Michigan

Also, has anyone created a google document of those that are traveling for these interviews? It might be nice to share on traveling costs if possible.

Hey guys! yay! yup heard from case and southern illinois as well :). U of michigan? :oops: What date are they giving out? I haven't heard from them yet but would very much like to :eek:

Yeah, same boat :/
Do you mind posting the dates hodgepodge?

add allegheny gen hosp, dec 8, jan 5,12

Illinois

Michigan
U Michigan

Ohio

Pennsylvania
Allegheny (10/4) - 12/8, 1/5, 1/12

South Carolina

DC
Georgetown - 11/29, 1/3, 1/17

Illinois

Michigan
U Michigan - Dec 5, 11, Jan 9

Missouri
Washington University - Nov 10, Jan 5

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Last edited:
If last year's dates are any guide, here are a summary of last year (source):

School, Date interviews were first offered

September
Rochester (9/27)
SUNY Stony Brook (9/29)
U of Michigan (9/30)

October

Southern Illinois University (10/4)
Grand Rapids (10/4)
Georgetown (10/5)
Indiana State University (10/6)
Medical University of SC (10/6)
TriHealth (Good Samaritan Hospital) Program (10/7)
Mayo Clinic (10/7)
UPMC (10/10)
Penn State Hershey (10/12)
Cleveland Clinic (10/13)
Stanford University (10/13)
Yale (10/17)
Dartmouth (10/17)
University of Buffalo (10/17)
University of Wisconsin (10/20)
University of South Florida (10/25)
U of Cincinnati (10/27)
Mt. Sinai (10/28)
University of Massachusetts (10/31)

November
University of Arkansas (11/2)
University of Washington (11/4)
Methodist (11/8)
Allegheny General Hospital (11/9)
Lenox Hill (11/21)
Wash U (11/21) (program opened mid-season)

December
Northwestern (12/12)

Obviously not all the programs are here, but invites started going out no later than those dates last year.

This is awesome, thanks mimelim.

Trihealth (Good Samaritan Hospital) sent out invites via snailmail a couple days ago, so make sure to check your mailboxes. I will update the dates when I get home.

Yup, I got TriHealth/Good Samaritan in the mail. (yay)! And heard from University of Cincinnati today. Also UPMC in Pitt. :love:

UC DAvis send out today, dates dec 6, jan 17

Members don't see this ad :)
ctjm05, did davis send out dates or dates & invites?

davis send out dates and invites, also mayo clinic send out invites today: Dic 4, jan 8.

ugh. didn't get those. would have liked mayo but oh well, will wait for others which have been on my radar.....

Looks like vascular invites are a fairly late game, huh? only ~9/40 programs have given invites out

Sorry guys, I've been MIA the past few days. I have tried to update this list to the best of my abilities.

California
UC Davis (10/15) - 12/6, 1/17

DC
Georgetown - 11/29, 1/3, 1/17

Illinois

Indiana
IU

Massachusetts
UMass (10/19) - 12/1, 12/14

Michigan
U Michigan - Dec 5, 11, Jan 9
MSU Grand Rapids (10/8) - 11/8, 12/13, 1/10

Missouri
Washington University - Nov 10, Jan 5

New York
Albert Einstein (10/16) - 11/5, 12/3, 1/7

Ohio

UCincinnati (10/12) - 11/21, 12/12, 1/9
Trihealth - 11/7, 11/21, 12/12, 1/9

Pennsylvania
UPitt -

South Carolina

Wisconsin
UW (10/19) - 11/27, 12/3, 12/11

Thanks for the list! That all seemed pretty accurate (well...I can only vouch for the schools I have heard from of course!) Here is what I have to add:

UPMC is offering interviews on 12/5 and 1/9. I heard from them on 10/11.
SUNY Stony Brook is offering interviews on 11/28 and 1/9. I heard from them on 10/12.

Last edited:
I'll add Wisconsin and Arkansas (from Friday) later tonight when I find the dates.

Buffalo (10/23) - December 6, 2012; Thursday, January 3, 2013; and Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has heard from Wash U, Michigan, Northwestern or Dartmouth yet (have they sent out invites yet)? I'll agree with the list provided, and add the following (got invites for these):
UPMC (pitt): December 5, January 9
Indiana U: November 10, Dec 1, Dec 8
:thumbup:

I've heard from WashU and Dartmouth. I think some have heard from UMichigan. I haven't seen anything from Northwestern yet.

I heard for Wash U, not northwestern or dartmouth.

Northwestern has always been only 1 interview date, always the 3rd Saturday in January. They are also usually very late in terms of invites. Things may change as the field gets bigger, but that is what it has been in the past.

Thanks VSurge & cjtm05 :thumbup: good to know. I haven't heard from any so likely wont be invited to Wash U or Mayo at this point, Dartmouth, Northwestern n Michigan I can still wait for :xf::smuggrin:

Mayo sent out some more invites today
12/4, 1/8

awesome, i can hope for longer now! lol

cleveland clinic also send invites for jan 11, today

second Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Yale! Woot woot!

Were you guys offered both 12/14 and 1/11 in the same email?

no, i just had only one of the dates, uclamimg

Got 1 from CCF. So far got MUSC, Mayo, and CCF.

Im thinking i may have been rejected from yale, since I got an interview for their GS program but havent heard anything for VS. I havent heard anything from upmc. My dad did his residency there (but not in VS), so I was thinking I may get slight consideration, but still no word from pitt

Just cross mount sinai hospital in nyc off your list. Their programs are the pits.

Last edited:
Got a nice rejection email from Penn State. Interviews should be/already have been sent out. Will post dates for you guys when I find them.

Got a nice rejection email from Penn State. Interviews should be/already have been sent out. Will post dates for you guys when I find them.

interesting. I have not got an email yet from Penn State. Looks like I will have to call tommorow

Well then you're still in the running :) I think they require a step2 score from what I understood from the website.

just cross mount sinai hospital in nyc off your list for vascular and other surgery residency options. their programs are the pits. pm if you must know.

If you would like an opinion from someone in the integrated vascular residency at Mount Sinai (who loves it by the way) instead of from what appears to be a embittered former MSSM pathology resident, pm me!

please don't be misled by the occasional troll you encounter on this forum. There are a lot of great programs out there, and there is a shocking amount of variation between them. Go out and figure out what will work best for you. Best of luck to everyone on the trail, I think your going to have a great time.

couple questions -

better to go on an extra interview and miss the pre-interview dinner at place #2?
I feel that this is such an intimate process that going to the pre-interview dinner may make a big difference

and since there is no nmrp "charting the match" for vascular - how many consecutive ranks do you think you'd need before, say, a 80% match rate? for US seniors.

couple questions -

better to go on an extra interview and miss the pre-interview dinner at place #2?
I feel that this is such an intimate process that going to the pre-interview dinner may make a big difference

and since there is no nmrp "charting the match" for vascular - how many consecutive ranks do you think you'd need before, say, a 80% match rate? for US seniors.

Question #1 - I missed 2 dinners to make it to extra interviews. I think it is worth it to go to the dinners that you can, but for your sake. It is more for you to get to know the program. The pre-interview dinner won't change whether you match there or not. PM me the programs that you will miss dinners for and I can tell you about the format of the dinner (I went on 15 vascular interviews last year, so I will hopefully know about it. I can also text my co-intern and a couple people I met on the trail to find out about the dinners.

There are some that are just at a bar and won't make any bit of difference to miss. Others are a formal sit down with faculty which might be a little worse to miss.

Question #2 - Very difficult to guess. I'm told the number of applicants has gone up significantly this year, and I dont' know if that will change things. Last year, I know of 3 people that applied VS without GS backup. All of them interviewed and ranked 15+ programs and all matched. The rest of us (~20 others that I got to know pretty well) interviewed at GS and VS. I don't know of anyone who went on less than 15 interviews that matched. That a) doesn't mean that someone matched with less and b) doesn't mean that they wouldn't have matched if they went to less. But most of us were in the 18-22 range for total GS/VS. The high was 35+....

I called PSU, and was informed that my application is still in consideration for an interview by a secretary it seemed like. Then was transferred to someone else, who suggested that a interview invite/rejection would be decided by mid next week for some candidates.

It seemed like the moment I introduced myself and said I am a final year US citizen student at University of Manchester, he without even looking up my application, knew everything about my application. I was a little surprised is an understatement

The dates I got from Penn State were 12/12 and 1/15. I also got an e-mail making sure that I would have my Step 2 done before Februrary. I guess they require it to rank you, but not for an interview.

Anyone out there have any insight on what kinds of questions we should be prepared to answer other than the standard "what are your strengths/weaknesses?", "why do you want to do vascular?" etc??

Questions I got last year (that I can remember):

Why integrated over traditional pathway?
If I called Dr. XYZ at your institution, what would they tell me about you?
If you could have a super power what would it be?
How would you measure the mass of your head?

And then a lot of personalized questions, primarily about things that I did in medical school. Got some questions about research, suture workshop, rock climbing, model rocketry etc. I was definitely much more personalize than my GS interviews.

I'm not sure if I'm interviewing for us or not. Even if I do, my vote will count for nothing. But I'll try to think of something fun...