Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You have to mail your application.

I also noticed that discrepancy about the transcripts. I had mine mailed directly to HES. You can call the number that's listed on the application and get clarification. They are very helpful.

Where can I apply online? Or, do I have to apply through mailing the application?

Also, do I mail my transcripts along with my application, or have my school send it directly? The application: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/forms/ext_hcp.pdf says I can enclose it, but the website: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/programs/hcp/admission/ says it has to be sent directly from my previous school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just called, and was told over the phone that I have been accepted. See you all in the fall!

I'm likely taking Gen Chem and Physics.

I've been looking through some powerpoint slides of chem and physics that are up on the HES website and I found some the midterm and final scores pretty low. I see that the median grade of the physics final was around 77... I was wondering if any of you who are currently in the program can give any tips on studying and finishing with an A. I really can't afford getting a B in any of the classes! Also, someone posted this up 2005, so if anyone wants to... please add this!

http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?t=178921&page=2

Harvard Extension School is a terrific terrific program and will prepare you very well to take the MCAT. I finished last May and have now completed my application cycle with results that I am ecstatic about. Other folks in my class, like TwiceTenTurns, have equally thrilling results.

However, it's very challenging. My undergraduate institution refers seniors to me who are entering this program after graduation and I give them all the same advice. In the hopes that you will benefit from this advice, I'm listing my recommendations here below:

Before each semester starts, read the first two chapters of each class's book. This will prevent you from falling behind as the semester progresses and increase your confidance level as you sit in lecture. Also do the problems
for those chapters that have answers in the back of the book (often the odd problems). It should go without saying that you should keep up with reading the book as the semester progresses.

If you are weak in math, I strongly recommend that you take a math refresher before beginning this program. There is a LOT of math in physics and chemistry, but it's all algebra and trig. don't let this prevent you from learning chem and physics.

Physics:
Wolfgang Rueckner teaches this class. The key to success here is to do your homework as soon as it's assigned (generally a week ahead of time). Find out when he's holding office hours or running the homework review and attend that. When I took it, he held the first homework review of the week so you had to be on the ball to get his help. However, he is an absolute genious at explaining things one on one. If you attend his review session having tried your best at the homework, he'll help you finish it and you'll walk out of that review totally understanding what's going on. In addition to doing all the homework problems, I did all the odd problems in the book chapters we covered. This guarenteed that I didn't gloss over some fine detail of mechanics or electromagnetism. Every time I got a problem wrong, whether for homework or the extra problems, I put a star next to it. Then, when it was time to study for the test, I simply redid all the starred problems until I could do them correctly. That was it. Dr. Rueckner was happy to go over the book problems with me when I didn't understand them also. Additionally it was easy to make office appointments to ask him questions. One thing you should know about Dr. Rueckner though is that he's a stickler for the rules. Things are due when they're due and that's it. The Extension School doesn't allow him any wiggle room with that stuff and he just sticks to it. So be on the ball.

General Chemistry:
This course is run like a well-oiled machine. You absolutely must go to lecture. The lecture notes are well organized. Succeeding in this class is totally straightforward. Read the book. Go to class. Do Logan Notes. Then do homework. Go to tutorial section. Repeat. When it comes time for the exam, repeat all the Logan Notes and redo all the homework. That's it.

Organic Chemistry:
I took this during the year. I hear summer orgo is killer. Totaly capable and hardworking students withdrew from the summer program. I don't know what it takes to succeed there. Orgo during the year was taught by two people who have since found jobs elsewhere but I believe they trained the new professor this year. Maybe someone else can comment on this? Assuming they kept the same format, it's run very much like General Chemistry--well organized slides. No homework to turn in. Quizes at the start of every class. To suceed in orgo I first read the book. Then I went to lecture where I took clear notes on the slides they handed out for class. After class I made flashcards from the lecture slides. I studied those flashcards for the quiz before the following class. I did all the required and the recommended problems in the book and that they handed out and I made sure I understood them. I starred all the problems I got wrong on the first try. When test time came around, I redid all the starred problems and memorized all my flashcards.

Biology:
In order to succeed in this class you absolutely must attend lecture. The book is helpful, but not that helpful and I actually stopped reading it midway through the second semester. This is a class where you are going to have to work together with other classmates. Make flashcards from the lecture notes and quiz each other. Fixsen LOVES multiple choice questions so make multiple choice questions for your flashcards. Before each midterm, Fixsen hands out a multi-page problem set that you don't have to turn in. It will have definitions on it. Do not sit around writing flashcards defining those terms. Just be sure that in your head you have a rough idea of what each term means. Do all the old exam questions that are on that handout and be sure you know them cold. He reuses them. Do all the additional practice problems that are related to genetics. Fixsen is a geneticist by training and will test you backwards and forwards on that material. He also does a brilliant job of teaching it and answering questions about it. Just be on the ball. Don't waste your time doing problems in the book or the workbook that comes with the book. It won't help. You have to learn his lecture material inside out. Good luck with that. My final recommendation for this class is to befriend people who've just finished his class and ask them how they succeeded. Fixsen doesn't keep a tutor list so all you've got is your classmates and those who've gone before you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who's done with exams? I did A&P II last night and I am done! Summertime, and the livin' is easy....

Because I need to let my job know about scheduling for next semester, I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what chem and physics schedules typically look like. The website says physics: every Tuesday, and general chemistry: every Thursday. But they both say discussions and labs will be arranged. Are these often arranged on days other than Tuesday and Thursday, meaning I would have to be on campus several days per week?

I work three 11a-11p shifts per week, so hopefully I can fit everything in on my days off.

I've been keeping up with this thread and am getting nervous as I applied to Harvard's Health Sciences program (a while back/month ago) and called back this morning to confirm that they received my application...

After a little bit of searching, the man on the phone confirmed they had gotten my application and had sent the decision letter YESTERDAY so I will probably get it tomorrow. But, he told me he wasn't allowed to notify me whether I was accepted or not on the phone. BUT, it seems like others on this thread were able to hear their decision (of admission) over the phone.
:(
So now, I'm guessing he didn't want to deliver the bad news and I'll be getting a sad, little letter in the mail tomorrow.

Any ideas?:confused:

Hmm... maybe it depends on who answers the phone... some may feel they are at liberty to tell you over the phone, some might not.

You do realize that most people are accepted, right? It's completely non-competitive admissions. They apparently will reject people when there's evidence that the program won't help (you've already taken lots of prereqs and gotten horrible grades, etc.) Otherwise you shouldn't stress over admissions.

Can one still be accepted to the HCP if one has already taken any one of the courses required to get a Diploma in Premedical Studies at another university?

I took university physics 10 years ago during my freshman year of undergrad. Does this rule me out for the Diploma?
OR
Does this rule me out to be a part of the HCP?

How strict is HES about this requirement of not taking any one of the diploma courses previously at another institution?

~cluster

Can one still be accepted to the HCP if one has already taken any one of the courses required to get a Diploma in Premedical Studies at another university?

I took university physics 10 years ago during my freshman year of undergrad. Does this rule me out for the Diploma?
OR
Does this rule me out to be a part of the HCP?

How strict is HES about this requirement of not taking any one of the diploma courses previously at another institution?

~cluster

HCP and the diploma are two separate things, although some people do both. But no, having earlier taken one of the diploma courses elsewhere does not make you ineligible for HCP. It would, however, make you ineligible for the diploma. The value of the diploma is not really all that clear. It's not necessary for med school and probably wouldn't even give you any kind of a leg up, although if I were to do ALL of those basic pre-med courses at Harvard, I suppose I'd want some sort of formal diploma acknowledging that I'd completed them. Most people (that I've talked to, anyway) in HCP are not completing that full list of diploma courses, anyway... they're picking up whatever prereqs they didn't get in college, and some are doing upper-level electives. I'm in the same boat... took a bio and a chem class in college.

From what I understand, you might be rejected from HCP if your undergrad GPA is so atrocious that there's no way you can bring your GPA up to a respectable level, or you've already taken lots of prereqs multiple times and never been able to get a decent grade. Then they'd really just be taking your money with no benefit to you.

That said, you can do all of your necessary courses without being part of HCP at all, although you won't get sponsorship.

HCP and the diploma are two separate things, although some people do both. But no, having earlier taken one of the diploma courses elsewhere does not make you ineligible for HCP. It would, however, make you ineligible for the diploma. The value of the diploma is not really all that clear. It's not necessary for med school and probably wouldn't even give you any kind of a leg up, although if I were to do ALL of those basic pre-med courses at Harvard, I suppose I'd want some sort of formal diploma acknowledging that I'd completed them. Most people (that I've talked to, anyway) in HCP are not completing that full list of diploma courses, anyway... they're picking up whatever prereqs they didn't get in college, and some are doing upper-level electives. I'm in the same boat... took a bio and a chem class in college.

From what I understand, you might be rejected from HCP if your undergrad GPA is so atrocious that there's no way you can bring your GPA up to a respectable level, or you've already taken lots of prereqs multiple times and never been able to get a decent grade. Then they'd really just be taking your money with no benefit to you.

That said, you can do all of your necessary courses without being part of HCP at all, although you won't get sponsorship.

Thanks lizzio76 for your response.

Aside from the core courses that are listed as required for the Diploma (and incidentally happen to be useful while preparing for the MCAT), are there any other courses that you think are useful to take in order to prepare for the MCAT? You mentioned that some people are doing upper-level electives. Do these help with MCAT?

I would definitely suggest Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II for MCAT prep. I know other people are taking upper-level electives but I don't know if it's for MCAT prep. You can do course searches in the various sciences on the Extension School site to see what's offered.

Hey Pose,

Quick question. For the application process, do they want you to take the 3 pre-admission courses and count that in as your application GPA when you actually apply? Thanks, any information in appreciated.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand your question. Which three pre-admission courses are you speaking of? When you apply to the post-bacc, the application asks you to calculate your GPA and science GPA for all courses you have taken at all schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely suggest Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II for MCAT prep. I know other people are taking upper-level electives but I don't know if it's for MCAT prep. You can do course searches in the various sciences on the Extension School site to see what's offered.

Thanks lizzo76.

The three "pre-admission" courses you speak of, I think, are the proseminar and two other relevant courses which are required to be completed, with a B or better, for HES degree programs. These are not required for admission to HCP.

Is anyone a part of or can comment on either the B&W MCEP or the volunteer program at mass general? The B&W website is extremely informative and quite impressive but i can't say the same about the mass general volunteer website. Something like this certainly has an influence on my decision. Can anyone here help us future HESers out with regard to volunteering? I believe these are the two big-name hospitals in the area, right? Is it right to say that having experience at a big-name hospital is looked upon favorably by adcoms and do these hospitals have good programs? I liked the idea of being able to rotate through different departments at B&W.

I'm just looking for any kind of feedback on the volunteerism in boston.

Beachblondie, if you read this- i emailed that address you gave me but didn't get a response. Thanks anyway i appreciate it :)

Hi all,

I have a question about the health insurance requirement. I just found out that MA requires all of its residents to carry health insurance - unfortunately, the premiums are amongst the highest in the nation at $250 per month for a high deductible plan. Anyone else dealing with the same issues?

I currently have health insurance thru my employer in Cali but I plan on quitting my job to go to school full time. Health insurance would be nice, but $250/month is pretty expensive...any suggestions?

Volunteer experience, especially clinical experience, is always good. Whether it's at a big hospital like BWH and MGH or a smaller hospital or doctor's office probably doesn't have too much weight. It depends more on your experience there.

I went through BWH's MCEP program. It's a nice, structured program, but they limit the number of hours you can volunteer (I believe it's 3hrs/week, but I could be mistaken). It took me an hour to get to BWH, so the 2 hour round trip was a bit of a hassle when I could only volunteer for 3 hours. Also, this makes it difficult to build up the necessary hours to move onto the rotation. The second rotation placement took several months for me. Since I was only in Boston for 2 years, it meant that I could not finish the MCEP program.

In hindsight, I probably would have chosen a different route. The structure is nice, but also limiting.

Is anyone a part of or can comment on either the B&W MCEP or the volunteer program at mass general? The B&W website is extremely informative and quite impressive but i can't say the same about the mass general volunteer website. Something like this certainly has an influence on my decision. Can anyone here help us future HESers out with regard to volunteering? I believe these are the two big-name hospitals in the area, right? Is it right to say that having experience at a big-name hospital is looked upon favorably by adcoms and do these hospitals have good programs? I liked the idea of being able to rotate through different departments at B&W.

Beachblondie, if you read this- i emailed that address you gave me but didn't get a response. Thanks anyway i appreciate it :)

thanks for the response ghostman!!

According to their website the whole program consists of a total of 140 hours divided into phases. Phase one is the patient ambassador experience which is pretty straightforward on their website. Phase two is departmental placement. Is this the phase that you weren't able to complete?

140 hours divided by 3 hrs is about 47 weeks total to complete the program. Can you please expand on why you weren't able to complete the program?

Also, did you get to shadow a physician and get a LOR which they state is part of the program?

Volunteer experience, especially clinical experience, is always good. Whether it's at a big hospital like BWH and MGH or a smaller hospital or doctor's office probably doesn't have too much weight. It depends more on your experience there.

I went through BWH's MCEP program. It's a nice, structured program, but they limit the number of hours you can volunteer (I believe it's 3hrs/week, but I could be mistaken). It took me an hour to get to BWH, so the 2 hour round trip was a bit of a hassle when I could only volunteer for 3 hours. Also, this makes it difficult to build up the necessary hours to move onto the rotation. The second rotation placement took several months for me. Since I was only in Boston for 2 years, it meant that I could not finish the MCEP program.

In hindsight, I probably would have chosen a different route. The structure is nice, but also limiting.

Hi all,

I have a question about the health insurance requirement. I just found out that MA requires all of its residents to carry health insurance - unfortunately, the premiums are amongst the highest in the nation at $250 per month for a high deductible plan. Anyone else dealing with the same issues?

I currently have health insurance thru my employer in Cali but I plan on quitting my job to go to school full time. Health insurance would be nice, but $250/month is pretty expensive...any suggestions?

So normally students can elect to pay for a campus health insurance plan ($1,000-2,000 anually). This is only the case if you take 12 or more credits. Is this an option for you?

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/register/financial/insurance.jsp

Edit: this may only be valid if you're a diploma student. Otherwise, I would considering seeking employment (20+ hrs/wk positions are benefited at most hospitals).

I'm a volunteer at MGH - been there for about 3 1/2 years in various capacities. Before I decided on MGH, I stressed out a lot about the "right" place or placement. Ultimately, jumping in is the most important thing - as well as finding something that is convenient, so it will not become a chore just getting there. It has been a wonderful experience for me. In my opinion, volunteering is all about what you make of it. Some people go just for the hours and then complain about the burden of having to volunteer and how useless it is. . . . Personally, I love it. From this perspective looking back, I never could have imagined what I would learn about myself, people, and the hospital environment.

The intake at MGH takes a little time. You have to sign up for an orientation meeting, then a one on one interview for placement, get your immunization records, and have two TB tests (MGH pays for it). After that, you need a shadow shift or two or even three depending on the placement. Once that is done, you are free to go. They tend to leave you alone, while having an open door/email policy for any concerns or issues. They treat the volunteers well - free parking and a meal ticket. If one placement doesn't work, they will help put you somewhere else. The general shift length is 3 hours a week. The overall atmosphere is one of respect and service. I know that sounds a little corny, but it is strangely true. Granted, you will always come across challenging personalities, but I see that as part of the learning experience.

I highly recommend MGH.

Thanks Pose, I will be in the diploma program. I looked up the campus insurance it's $1,477 every 6 months, which is still pretty pricey. Part time job is probably not an option as I'm going to attempt the one year track. I might try to apply for commonwealth care or just get a catastrophe insurance out here in Cali and fly back as needed.

So normally students can elect to pay for a campus health insurance plan ($1,000-2,000 anually). This is only the case if you take 12 or more credits. Is this an option for you?

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/register/financial/insurance.jsp

Edit: this may only be valid if you're a diploma student. Otherwise, I would considering seeking employment (20+ hrs/wk positions are benefited at most hospitals).

THANKS!

This is exactly the kind of feedback I've been looking for. I'm looking forward to the experience and I won't be there to rack up the hours and to check the clinical experience part off my checklist. I'm really looking forward to the opportunity and I hope to gain some valuable experience to talk about in my future hopeful interviews.

Moki, why have you been a volunteer for more than three years? That's a while longer than a lot of people require for a postbac. I'm assuming a lot of things here. Just curious.

I'm a volunteer at MGH - been there for about 3 1/2 years in various capacities. Before I decided on MGH, I stressed out a lot about the "right" place or placement. Ultimately, jumping in is the most important thing - as well as finding something that is convenient, so it will not become a chore just getting there. It has been a wonderful experience for me. In my opinion, volunteering is all about what you make of it. Some people go just for the hours and then complain about the burden of having to volunteer and how useless it is. . . . Personally, I love it. From this perspective looking back, I never could have imagined what I would learn about myself, people, and the hospital environment.

The intake at MGH takes a little time. You have to sign up for an orientation meeting, then a one on one interview for placement, get your immunization records, and have two TB tests (MGH pays for it). After that, you need a shadow shift or two or even three depending on the placement. Once that is done, you are free to go. They tend to leave you alone, while having an open door/email policy for any concerns or issues. They treat the volunteers well - free parking and a meal ticket. If one placement doesn't work, they will help put you somewhere else. The general shift length is 3 hours a week. The overall atmosphere is one of respect and service. I know that sounds a little corny, but it is strangely true. Granted, you will always come across challenging personalities, but I see that as part of the learning experience.

I highly recommend MGH.

Hello all,
I just finished the Post bac program and I'm close to moving out soon. I have a 1 bdrm (in a 2 bdroom) that I'm looking to rent out by JULY 1ST. Great housemate--a nutritionist who's neat, tidy and accommodating.

Great location, 8 min walk to Porter Sq, off Mass Ave and Cambrdige/Somverville St. About 5 min train ride to Harvard Sq. ~20 min walk to Harvard Yard

-Heat and Hot water available
-Utilities around range from around $50 (summer) -$150 (winter)
-Hardwood floors
-Close to Red line ( Porter Squares)
-Cloeby Shaws, at least two gyms (planet fitness included), local shops and ma and pop stores
-New stove
-Separate storage room for apt in basement
-Close by washer and dryer (coin-op)
-Furnished living room
-spacious living room and kitchen
-plenty of natural light
-Great-sized kitchen w/ kitchenware
-Good natural sunlight in vacant bedroom
-Decent sized room w/ closet (can fit queen bed, desk, 2 small night stands and bureau)
-Attentive landlord and maintenance
-Parking space avail for a small fee or Cambridge resident street parking
-very friendly neighbors and community
-No fee

Send email with questions and a brief description of who you are and your interest. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi all,

You could call and see if you qualify for Commonwealth Care. If take at least 12 credits, though, you must enroll in Harvard's health insurance program, which is $1477 for six months.
http://www.massresources.org/pages.cfm?Subpages=yes&contentID=81&pageID=13

I got in. WHO WOULD'VE THOUGHT! Got a little bit of flack about science grades and need a 32 on my MCAT. I can do it though!!! Dr. Fixsen really helped me out. Time to apply for financial aid! Never thought a country girl like me could do this. Am. So. Excited. Can. Not. Breathe.

SEE YOU GUYS IN THE FALL!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Hey All-

My current roommates are leaving town in the fall, so I'll be looking for two more to fill an apartment in Somerville on the Cambridge/Somerville line. It's right next to Inman Square, and is within walking distance to the Science center (10-15 minute walk) and is also on two bus lines that go right to Harvard. There are two rooms available starting in September, both sub 500 dollars a month (one slightly smaller room at 430 and one large room with a study attached at 470) and a shared kitchen and bathroom.

With such a great price and location, you might be asking: what are the downsides? Well, it's a pretty old apartment and isn't in the best shape. It's perfectly safe and we keep it clean, but the building has seen better days. It has new windows, though, and retains heat really well, which is nice in the winters. There's also limited parking in a parking lot next to the building.

We have a new fridge and a new stove/oven, and the bedrooms are all pretty spacious and nice. It also doesn't really have a common area (although there is an unused bedroom that I've been trying to turn into one), and the bathroom could really use some new fixtures. (Great water pressure, though!)

Drop me a PM if you're interested-- as I said, the room opens up in September, but I'm sure we can figure out something if you want to show up a few days before the semester starts. At this price and location, we always have tons of responses on craigslist, but I wanted to make sure I could help out some fellow HCP people if possible.

Hi all,

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a non-issue, at least as Mass. goes (as far as their general requirement for all residents goes.) Well, I don't know how old you are, but generally if you're a student, you're not really a resident of Mass. if you choose to keep, say, your parents' address as your official address. That said, most schools, and all in Mass. require you to show evidence of health insurance, or else pay for their plan, but only if you're actually enrolled in a degree program or taking courses as a full-time student, not enrolled in two continuing education courses. (Actually double-checked and mass.gov says if you are full-time or part-time, with part-time defined as 75% of a full-time curriculum.) Most HCP people I have known have been half-time, and therefore this would not be a requirement for them. Also, supposedly the annual deductible of a plan which meets this requirement can be no higher than $250.

Could you do COBRA when you leave your job? That would cover you for 18 months, though it's usually very expensive.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

This is a question for anyone who has undergrad student loans that are being deferred while you're a student at HES. I'm in the Health Careers program full-time and will be done in the spring of 2012. I was just told that I have to apply for an in-school deferment each semester after the add/drop period has passed. The thing is, because my loans went out of deferment this May (when the spring semester ended), they are now due June 7th, and I can't even apply for a summer deferment until mid-July (I'm taking summer chem), so I'm going to have to pay hundreds of dollars in student loan payments, and accrue interest, in June and then again in July. Other times that I've been enrolled full-time in a program (undergrad, for example, or a PhD program that I was in for a year and a half), I was granted a deferment that covered a full year - why is the HCP different? If you're enrolled in a masters/PhD at Harvard, are you also only granted deferments by semester? And why do you have to wait until after the add/drop? I'm just wondering how everyone else deals with this and making sure that I was given the correct information.

Thanks for the advice.

Have you contacted your lender? After I graduated I consolidated my undergrad loans through Nelnet and set up monthly automatic payments. While I was taking a few classes at a local community college they contacted me and told me that a deferrment was in place. As soon as I stopped taking classes the automatic payments resumed again. I'm assuming that different companies have different policies regarding deferment, but i don't see why you can't defer your undergrad loans while you're in your postbac year.

Hi everyone,

This is a question for anyone who has undergrad student loans that are being deferred while you're a student at HES. I'm in the Health Careers program full-time and will be done in the spring of 2012. I was just told that I have to apply for an in-school deferment each semester after the add/drop period has passed. The thing is, because my loans went out of deferment this May (when the spring semester ended), they are now due June 7th, and I can't even apply for a summer deferment until mid-July (I'm taking summer chem), so I'm going to have to pay hundreds of dollars in student loan payments, and accrue interest, in June and then again in July. Other times that I've been enrolled full-time in a program (undergrad, for example, or a PhD program that I was in for a year and a half), I was granted a deferment that covered a full year - why is the HCP different? If you're enrolled in a masters/PhD at Harvard, are you also only granted deferments by semester? And why do you have to wait until after the add/drop? I'm just wondering how everyone else deals with this and making sure that I was given the correct information.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Lizzo and Medwonk, I called commonwealth care yesterday and they said I wouldn't qualify if the school offers a plan. But i read in the brochure that it has to be a subsidized plan with a 20% or greater discount. So I'm going to call Student Financial Services and find out if the HES insurance plan is considered a subsidized plan.

I'll be 30 when I start the program so can't really piggyback on parents' insurance. I am thinking of taking out a catastrophe plan out here in Cali and hopefully satisfy the insurance requirement. Cobra might be another way to go as it will be comparable to MA insurance rates.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is a non-issue, at least as Mass. goes (as far as their general requirement for all residents goes.) Well, I don't know how old you are, but generally if you're a student, you're not really a resident of Mass. if you choose to keep, say, your parents' address as your official address. That said, most schools, and all in Mass. require you to show evidence of health insurance, or else pay for their plan, but only if you're actually enrolled in a degree program or taking courses as a full-time student, not enrolled in two continuing education courses. (Actually double-checked and mass.gov says if you are full-time or part-time, with part-time defined as 75% of a full-time curriculum.) Most HCP people I have known have been half-time, and therefore this would not be a requirement for them. Also, supposedly the annual deductible of a plan which meets this requirement can be no higher than $250.

Could you do COBRA when you leave your job? That would cover you for 18 months, though it's usually very expensive.

Hi Newbie909,

My loans are Stafford and Perkins, so pretty typical. The deferment has never been automatic - I've always had to fill out an in-school deferment request, get it approved by whatever school I'm at, and send it in. I did this with Harvard back in April, filling in "May of 2012" as my end-date for this program, but Harvard changed the form after I had already signed it (without notifying me) and sent it to the loan offices. I called to check and make sure the paperwork went through, and I was told that my loans were in repayment because Harvard changed the end date to May of 2011. When I called Harvard, they said that I have to reapply for loan deferment every semester after the add/drop period. I'm assuming other people must be in a similar situation, so I was hoping that someone might have advice for what to do about this. I could probably get a forbearance for the summer, but that would mean the loans would start accruing interest again and I'm worried it will hurt my credit. Ahhh debt!

Have you contacted your lender? After I graduated I consolidated my undergrad loans through Nelnet and set up monthly automatic payments. While I was taking a few classes at a local community college they contacted me and told me that a deferrment was in place. As soon as I stopped taking classes the automatic payments resumed again. I'm assuming that different companies have different policies regarding deferment, but i don't see why you can't defer your undergrad loans while you're in your postbac year.

The in-school deferment IS automatic if you are attending an institution which participates in the National Student Clearinghouse (as Harvard Extension does.) Whether it's automatic comes down to the educational institution, not the lender/loan servicer. No, Harvard doesn't require its regular degree students to get a new deferment every semester, because they're enrolled in programs with specific requirements and specific anticipated graduation dates. You can claim that your anticipated end date is "May 2012" but there's nothing to back that up. You're not in a program which requires X credit hours which will take X number of years at full-time enrollment, or anything like that. You may be planning to keep taking courses at Harvard through May 2012, but there's no official enrollment which proves that... you're not matriculated into a program with defined requirements, as I said. And, the add/drop requirement also makes sense - otherwise, you could just register for a course to try to take advantage of an in-school deferment, and then drop. Harvard needs to send "final enrollment" information, NOT preliminary information.

Yes, this is all a big pain. Like I said, at HES, you do NOT have to have them fill out the deferment form. It really is all automatic. The problem is that it can take a long time so it doesn't seem like it's ever going to happen. If you were in a 4-year degree program, a couple months or so to get it in place wouldn't really matter much because once it's in place it's in place until your expected graduation date (or beyond, depending on whether there's a grace period.) But when you're just registering semester by semester in a program with no specific duration (which is the case with HES even if you're in HCP), 2-3 months can be your entire "in-school" time, since your expected end date is just the end of that current semester. Case in point - my classes started January 24 this term. It was my first term when I was half-time, and therefore eligible for an in-school deferment. (I have another masters degree, from a foreign university and am therefore familiar with the deferment, in general, but that school did not participate in the Clearinghouse, so I had to fill out a form.) I contacted my two loan servicers, and they assured me that they would automatically receive my enrollment information, but each said it can take something like 60 days for the deferment to be put in place, AFTER they get the enrollment information. So, they offered to set up forebearances for me until that time.

Well, I kept checking my loan status and noticed that in March, one set of loans (through Nelnet) was in deferment, rather than the original forebearance. I contacted my other servicer (ACS) to find out why that loan wasn't deferred, and they said that yes, they'd received the information, but it will take up to 60 days for that to be "processed." (Why isn't it immediate since it's done automatically without the borrower's request?) In any case, I started school January 24 and it took THREE MONTHS for my loans to be deferred. I never had to fill out a form and it was all done based on the National Student Clearinghouse information, BUT it took forever. By that point, I had less than a month of school left, anyway, and my loan payments were to resume on the first due date after this semester ended. So, the deferment didn't really help much.

I think the proper thing for me would have been to just trust that while it would take a while, the deferment WOULD happen automatically, and just not pay my loans in the interim. When I was in my other masters program, I thought that my loans would automatically be deferred. After a few months of non-payment I realized they wouldn't be and I filled out the form and submitted it, they retroactively removed any delinquent statuses. I'm not sure what happened to any interest that had accrued, though. I hope it was retroactively removed. But I know for sure that if I use a forebearance to fill in the gap, interest DOES accrue... which is why I think that one loan servicer, in particular, just sat on the enrollment information. It makes them money.

I don't know if filling out the form is really any faster or not. Maybe, but they still have to wait until after the "final enrollment" information is available to verify your enrollment. So either way, the in-school deferment for a program such as the non-degree HES programs isn't all that helpful. Every term, you're only going to get a short window of deferred payments (maybe as few as ONE month.)

But old crumb - Just to add... the forebearance shouldn't hurt your credit. I've had several forebearances now, and my credit is fine. The only way it can possibly hurt your credit is that the interest accrues and is added to the principal, therefore increasing your debt. But even with a high student loan debt, the amount any accrued interest will increase the principal is quite small when you're talking about, say, a three-month forebearance. (And BTW, interest will also accrue during an in-school deferment on the non-subsidized portion of a Stafford loan.) I might worry in general about increasing my debt, but not because it will affect my credit rating. And student loan debt (at least from goverment loans) is one of the "better" forms of debt. Revolving consumer debt, like credit cards, is the worst. Revolving debt is what plays into the "debt to credit ratio" which has such an impact on your credit score.

Last edited:
Thanks Lizzo and Medwonk, I called commonwealth care yesterday and they said I wouldn't qualify if the school offers a plan. But i read in the brochure that it has to be a subsidized plan with a 20% or greater discount. So I'm going to call Student Financial Services and find out if the HES insurance plan is considered a subsidized plan.

I'll be 30 when I start the program so can't really piggyback on parents' insurance. I am thinking of taking out a catastrophe plan out here in Cali and hopefully satisfy the insurance requirement. Cobra might be another way to go as it will be comparable to MA insurance rates.

What exactly do they mean by subsidized? Like other plans companies offer to employees, the plans Harvard offers to its employees (of which I used to be one) are all heavily subsidized. That means we pay a nominal fee (mine was about $50/month) and they pick up the rest of the tab. The plans are also already "discounted" since they get a group rate. Usually if, say, you're married, you, the employee, get the subsidized rate, and your spouse, if they choose to be on your plan, does not get a subsidized rate, but they still get the group rate which is way less than an individual rate.

I suspect the student insurance is also subsidized, meaning what they charge students is somewhat less than they pay, but maybe not. In any case, it's definitely a group rate, which would definitely be discounted by more than 20% when compared to an individual rate (what you would pay to go out and get an equivalent plan yourself.)

Hi
I have a couple of questions. I just got accepted to the HES program. I have no idea what the next steps are. When do I register for classes? Do I need to do anything else?

Also, I applied for loans through FAFSA, but how much do you usually receive? I will need it for tuition and living expenses. Do they give you enough?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Hey everyone,

Super excited about this fall. There is much to be done! I wanted to remind everyone that the priority financial aid deadline is June 1. There are 2 great advisers on hand who can answer any of your questions. I am making a separate post to answer the most recent question.

Anyone taking out private student loans? I'm researching them and have no idea WTH I am doing.

Also, as cluster mentioned, the Fall Chemistry syllabus is not accessible online. I printed off this document about a month ago so if anyone would like me to email them a PDF copy (as I am doing for cluster), private message me. Just remember to help with studying around finals time! :D

-Jennet loves you

Hi
I have a couple of questions. I just got accepted to the HES program. I have no idea what the next steps are. When do I register for classes? Do I need to do anything else?

Also, I applied for loans through FAFSA, but how much do you usually receive? I will need it for tuition and living expenses. Do they give you enough?

Any help would be really appreciated!

1. Registration begins Monday August 1st.
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/news/newcalendar.jsp

2. The HES financial aid department will be contacting you about filing your enrollment plan. After you sign the enrollment plan, they will create an aid package and send you notification.

3. I've never been to HES, so I am unaware of the amount of aid created. I've heard that you may need private loans on top of federal aid. That being said, several members including Beach Blondie have held down full-time positions while attending HES, so it is possible to steer clear of exorbitant amounts of debt.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
MsMD00 - go to the HES website and click on the link for registration. It will tell you when registration for fall classes will be open. You will be registering for your classes online, and paying at the time of registration, with a credit card. (Alternatively you can mail a paper form with a check.) Usually, financial aid is not offered to HES students, since most students are not enrolled in any kind of formal program, and I didn't receive financial aid for my HES classes, so I'm not sure how financial aid works there. When I've been in formal programs, I've registered and later received a tuition bill, which showed at least a tentative credit for expected loan funds. Having gone through the registration process at HES, I really have no idea how, if at all, expected loan funds play into payment... there doesn't seem like there is any way around paying up front, either with your own funds or with loan funds you've already received. But, I know some people on here have gotten financial aid, and they can have more detailed information for you.

They can also let you know how much money you can expect to be able to borrow. Government loans are capped at certain amounts - the Department of Education website should let you know how much you can borrow. To be honest, I'm surprised you didn't look at that before applying to HES and making sure the loans would cover everything you need. It all depends your student status and your course load. If you're considered an independent undergraduate student, the max you can borrow is $12,500 per year. If you are considered dependent, the max you can borrow $7,500 per year. These are amounts for undergrad, "third year and beyond" which is what you technically are in a post-bacc.

Last edited:
1. Registration begins Monday August 8th.
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/news/newcalendar.jsp

2. The HES financial aid department will be contacting you about filing your enrollment plan. After you sign the enrollment plan, they will create an aid package and send you notification.

3. I've never been to HES, so I am unaware of the amount of aid created. I've heard that you may need private loans on top of federal aid. That being said, several members including Beach Blondie have held down full-time positions while attending HES, so it is possible to steer clear of exorbitant amounts of debt.

Hope that helps!

Jennet, I think you meant August 1, 2011 is when Registration begins.

Jennet, I think you meant August 1, 2011 is when Registration begins.

Details, details...

Yes it begins August 1 and early registration is July 28. Whoops! Good thing I linked the website. I changed it but left these comments so you don't seem silly ;)

thanks for the response ghostman!!

According to their website the whole program consists of a total of 140 hours divided into phases. Phase one is the patient ambassador experience which is pretty straightforward on their website. Phase two is departmental placement. Is this the phase that you weren't able to complete?

140 hours divided by 3 hrs is about 47 weeks total to complete the program. Can you please expand on why you weren't able to complete the program?

Also, did you get to shadow a physician and get a LOR which they state is part of the program?

When I started MCEP, the hours requirements were different. It's longer for new volunteers than it was for me. Part of the limitation was the 1 shift per week maximum. Each shift in rotation 1 is only 3 hours long. It took me 1 hour just to get there, so it was annoying that I could not volunteer for a longer period of time. After rotation 1, it took two months for me to get placed in rotation 2. I continued volunteering in that time doing rotation 1 stuff, but it doesn't count toward the rotation 2 required hours. I was interested in 2 potential 2nd rotation placements, but both of them were delayed. One ultimately did not materialize while the other STILL hasn't started its orientation (after about 6 months). After 2 months, I told them to just give me anything they have so I can start immediately. They did, and I ultimately started my rotation 2. There were no hour limitations here, but my rotation just didn't have that much work to be done. I am short several hours, so I don't plan on getting a LOR.

I already have volunteer hospital experience though, so it's not horrible that I don't have an LOR from it. Plus, I can still indicate my experience on the AMCAS application. In the end, it was partially due to chance that I didn't get placed. My friend who started at the same time I did completed the program.

Having said that, I still think BWH's volunteer folks are very good people who try to help as much as possible. I'm pretty friendly with some of them. But some things are just out of their control as well. If I were to do it again, I would probably contact doctors/clinics/etc. directly and try to get volunteer experience that way rather than go through MCEP.

heading to boston tmrw to start calc! if anyone is doing the same PM me!

SHIP (student health insurance) is subsidized by whatever university you attend. Each university provides its own health plan. You must take it over Commonwealth Care (sucks, I know. Happened to me when I registered for 12 credits). Coverage with student health insurance is OK, not great. You could get better coverage with a regular insurance plan through the MA Health Connector, but it is more expensive.
More info on SHIP: http://www.massresources.org/pages.cfm?contentID=51&pageID=13&subpages=yes&dynamicID=864

Unfortunately, I know nothing about COBRA, so here's a link
http://cobrahealthinsurance.com/Resource/Massachusetts_Cobra_Health_Insurance.html

Link to MA Health Connector: https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector/
The enrollment period for insurance through the Health Connector is from June 1st to August 15th.

Last edited:
grades have been up since yesterday for those of you that haven't heard!

How many classes do students usually take their first semester?