Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I am selling a brand new, never before used COMPLETE set of the MCAT Exam Kracker Study Books. This includes the EK Chem, Organic Chem, Biology, Physics, Verbal PLUS a free practice test and organic chemistry flash cards. I am selling this for $100 which is a little cheaper than Amazon's $109, plus you wouldn't have to pay for shipping. PM me if interested, first come first serve! Again, this is Exam Krackers most recent edition (7th) with no highlights/markings.

Members don't see this ad.

The price difference is due to the fact that the summer program is run by Harvard University, while HES during the academic year is the extension school. They are different, albeit closely related, institutions. HES was formed in 1910 to allow people in the surrounding communities without means to gain an education. The symbol of the extension school shows two bundles of wheat, the market price for which ussed to determine the tuition for that semester/year. Clearly, things have changed, but that is its history. In practice, the courses are often taught by the same professors who teach at HES and the curriculm is basically the same. The pace of the summer courses is intense. As for the adcoms, who knows. I doubt the decision to a summer class versus a year long class will have a major impact on whether you will be accepted or not.

Hope that helps.

Things haven't changed too much. I paid for this semester's work with, adjusted for inflation, 58 sheafs of wheat.

I hear the physics course in the summer is much better than the widely-panned extension school physics course. I wouldn't doubt it either.

It seems physics at HES has always been a challenge. I'm not sure if that is a reflection of the material itself or the caliber of teaching. In all fairness, science is a self taught discipline at the end of the day. Most of us are interested in a career in the medical sciences, which, in my opinion, requires the ability to teach oneself complicated material. I viewed my experience with physics at HES in these terms - as a lesson in how to stop getting angry at the teaching and the "unfairness" of it all and just buckle down and figure out how to kick the crap out of the material. I still have my moments, but the shift has helped me a great deal.

Just my perspective. . . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Moki for sharing your knowledge of HES. All these little tidbits of information are so invaluable. Thanks again.

Hi Moki,
On a slightly different note. I posted this a while back on a different thread and didn't get an response. Perhaps you might have a better idea.

This is in relation to calculating your GPA using the UCSF Excel spreadsheet. I am trying to use it to complete the GPA part of my application for the HCP at HES.

I graduated with a BS in Electrical Engineering from Michigan. I was awarded 26 transfer credits from an international institution when I enrolled at Michigan and these credits almost completely account for my Freshman year. No grade is reported next to them on my transcript other than a letter initial indicating that it is a transfer credit. As a result I finished my BS in 3 years.

1. Do I just start completing the Excel sheet from the Sophomore year onward?

2. My school used an incremental 0.5 scale where the HCP application lists a 0.3 and 0.7 increment scale. Any thoughts on how I represent my GPA in this case?

3. Does the AMCAS require any transcript from the international institution?

Thanks,
~cluster

P.S. Gko, if you have any thoughts, please chime in.

Hi, Cluster.

Your first two questions are very specific. I think your best bet would be to call Owen or Dr. Fixsen (the main HCP #) and ask them. It shouldn't take you more than a couple of minutes on the phone. I know they have dealt with the situation before - Personally, I have not and wouldn't even want to try to guess. The only thing that I can offer is to not stress too much about getting it "exactly" right. I made that mistake and wasted too much energy and time. It really is not that important for HCP. As I understand it, they are looking for a general idea. With that said, do give it some effort, though.

As for your third question, my understanding is that you must provide AMCAS with a transcript from every institution that you attended (undergrad and grad). The best piece of advice I can offer on that front is to get the transcript requests out early. It is best to have them sitting at AMCAS waiting for you to finish your app up as opposed to having everything done and then waiting for them to process your app because your transcripts aren't in. Very frustrating and foolish.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Moki. I will get in touch with Mr. Peterson. If I can pick your brain about one more thing.

How do you include a repeated course in the calculation of your GPA? Here's my situation.

In my sophomore year in college I retook the following course: MA3160 - Multivariable Calculus

I had initially taken this course in the Fall semester and then repeated the course in the Spring semester. This is how it shows up in my official transcript.

Fall
CreditHours Grade Points RepeatCode
MA3160 - Multivariable Calculus 4.00 NR 0.00 E

Spring
MA3160 - Multivariable Calculus 4.00 A 16.00 I

The RepeatCode E strands for "Repeated Course, excluded in calculation of GPA"
The RepeatCode I strands for "Repeated Course, included in calculation of GPA"
The grade NR stands for "No grade, repeated course"

In reference to the 2011 AMCAS Instructions Book about this topic:
"AMCAS counts all attempts of a repeated course, even if your school does not." (ref: pp8)

"For the initial attempt of a repeated course, or for courses removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies, the transcript grade should be the original grade earned before the course was repeated, regardless of whether or not it appears on the official transcript or GPA. Failure to enter original grade received for repeated courses can lead to missed deadlines and forfeited fees." (ref: pp 37)

How do I present my grade for this course? Do I include the original course it or exclude it? I do not know what the original grade for this course is. It has been over 10 years since I took this course. What do I do in this situation?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
cluster

Hi Gko and Moki,
What is the general order in which people take courses as part of the HCP? Does what I have below seem correct? I am ignoring summer sessions.

Fall
CHEM E-1a General Chemistry I
PHYS E-1a Principles of Physics I: Mechanics

Spring
CHEM E-1b General Chemistry II
PHYS E-1b Principles of Physics II: Electricity and Magnetism, Light, and Atomic Struct

Fall
BIOS E-1a Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
CHEM E-2a Organic Chemistry I

Spring
CHEM E-2b Organic Chemistry II
BIOS E-1b Introduction to Organismic and Evolutionary Biology

Thanks,
~cluster

Hi Gko and Moki,
What is the general order in which people take courses as part of the HCP? Does what I have below seem correct? I am ignoring summer sessions.

Fall
CHEM E-1a General Chemistry I
PHYS E-1a Principles of Physics I: Mechanics

Spring
CHEM E-1b General Chemistry II
PHYS E-1b Principles of Physics II: Electricity and Magnetism, Light, and Atomic Struct

Fall
BIOS E-1a Introduction to Molecular and Cellular Biology
CHEM E-2a Organic Chemistry I

Spring
CHEM E-2b Organic Chemistry II
BIOS E-1b Introduction to Organismic and Evolutionary Biology

Thanks,
~cluster

That order is spot on.

Thanks Moki. I will get in touch with Mr. Peterson. If I can pick your brain about one more thing.

How do you include a repeated course in the calculation of your GPA? Here's my situation.

In my sophomore year in college I retook the following course: MA3160 - Multivariable Calculus

I had initially taken this course in the Fall semester and then repeated the course in the Spring semester. This is how it shows up in my official transcript.

Fall
MA3160 - Multivariable Calculus 4.00 NR 0.00 E

Spring
MA3160 - Multivariable Calculus 4.00 A 16.00 I

The RepeatCode E strands for "Repeated Course, excluded in calculation of GPA"
The RepeatCode I strands for "Repeated Course, included in calculation of GPA"
The grade NR stands for "No grade, repeated course"

In reference to the 2011 AMCAS Instructions Book about this topic:
"AMCAS counts all attempts of a repeated course, even if your school does not." (ref: pp8)

"For the initial attempt of a repeated course, or for courses removed due to academic bankruptcy or similar institutional policies, the transcript grade should be the original grade earned before the course was repeated, regardless of whether or not it appears on the official transcript or GPA. Failure to enter original grade received for repeated courses can lead to missed deadlines and forfeited fees." (ref: pp 37)

How do I present my grade for this course? Do I include the original course it or exclude it? I do not know what the original grade for this course is. It has been over 10 years since I took this course. What do I do in this situation?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
cluster

My repeated courses all had grades, so I am of no help on this question. You should contact AMCAS directly. They have been responsive to me in the past. Now is a good time to call, since they are done with this cycle and the next hasn't started yet.

Thanks Moki. I think I got my answer. I contacted AMCAS and here's what they had to say:

"
Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

A course entry must be made for each completed attempt of a repeated course, even if the first attempt has been removed from the official transcript. Indicate "Repeat" as the Special Course Type for each attempt and be sure to include the original grade earned.

AMCAS includes all attempts of repeated courses in GPA calculations, even if they are not included in the school's GPA calculations.

Do not designate "Repeat" for courses designed to be repeated (e.g. Independent Study, Thesis, Chorus, Physical Education, etc.).

Failure to list the original grade of a repeated course may result in a returned application, forfeited fees, or missed application deadlines. If there is no other way to determine the initial grade, you will need to estimate it.
"

Thanks again.

~cluster

Besides the pre-requisite courses offered at HES, would one be able to register for Calculus I and II?

Besides the pre-requisite courses offered at HES, would one be able to register for Calculus I and II?

I'm currently attending HES, and I wanted to take Calc along with Chem and Physics this year, and it did not work out, scheduling-wise. I'll have to take the math classes during my application year, or during a summer. I'm going to take Calc I and Statistics, but I know that Calc II is also offered by the extension school.

Also, to anyone lurking and in the same position I was in last year (I was accepted and ready to go to UPenn's pre-med program but made a last minute decision to attend HES instead), HES is the real deal. I can't speak to acceptances to med school, because that's a long way off for me, but the classes I've taken so far have been legit and challenging enough (especially physics.) Chemistry is possibly the most organized and efficient class I've ever taken and it's undeniably fair. I loved Physics, but you do need to teach yourself as Moki stated before-- it's not too hard once you realize that, and I actually find it more rewarding in the end.

The classes are huge, but discussion sections are smaller, and every TF I've had so far has been very capable and helpful with everything I've asked of them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes, HES is open registration. Some courses have pre-reqs and limitations on the number of students. Otherwise, you are good to go.

I'd like to know how those who are working full-time are balancing work and taking classes at HES-HCP. I fall into (or will fall into this Fall'11) that category. Those of you who are in a similar situation, and are going through the program (or have been through the program in the past) please chime in. If you have any strategies for time management and other areas that you care to share, it would be very helpful to someone like me.

Thanks,
~cluster

Is there a section on the HES application for that asks if you have ever been put on probation/expelled/suspended in college?

I know it varies, but what is the turnaround time for those applications submitted within the last three weeks?

I'm surprised that it's taken this long to receive notification given other posts I've read regarding their turnaround.

Should I just call or send an e-mail?

I imagine it to always be good practice to follow-up within the first two weeks of sending in an application to confirm that the school/party has received your application. Once it's been confirmed to be received, any further call/email seems a little pushy.

Hi guys!

I'm looking to sublet my room in a 4 bedroom apartment (walking distance from the Harvard campus) from June to September 1, perfect for anyone wanting to take classes over the summer. The rent is $665/month and I can keep it furnished or move everything out, depending on what you want. I thought I'd reach out to fellow students before posting on Craigslist. ;)

PM me for more info! :)

Hey guys! Long time lurker first time poster. I sent in my applications today to WashU St. Louis, U Miami and the HCP at HES for their post bacc programs. I'm graduating this May from a respected state university with a degree in Nuclear Engineering. I've heard the only requirements for admission to Harvard's HCP are "a pulse, checkbook and a degree" so this got me thinking; since I technically don't have my degree yet, will that be a problem with acceptance to HES? Also, how easy it is to get volunteer/research work in the area? Lastly, is there any option for an MCAT preparation course or are students on their own for finding and signing up for one? I'm looking to start in the summer. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you!

No longer available. Good luck to all at HES next year.

Last edited:
I just applied to HES and it looks like most people start in the Fall. Is it possible to start in the Summer? I was thinking of doing Summer/Fall/Spring/Summer and then being done in just over a year. If you start in the Fall, does it normally take 2 years?

Thanks! Good luck everyone.

I just applied to HES and it looks like most people start in the Fall. Is it possible to start in the Summer? I was thinking of doing Summer/Fall/Spring/Summer and then being done in just over a year. If you start in the Fall, does it normally take 2 years?

Thanks! Good luck everyone.

It really all depends on what courses you, specifically, need, and the courseload you want. Yes, you can start in the summer, although then you'll be taking Summer School classes, which are within the Division of Continuing Education (will show on the same transcript as your other Extension School courses) but as Moki, or someone else described, are technically separate from Extension School. The big difference is the price - summer courses are WAY more expensive than regular academic year Extension courses. They're also very intensive (well not all of them, but the basic prereqs you would be taking would be - I have taken several non-science summer school courses (when I worked at Harvard and they were free) and they just met once a week.) If that works for you and you don't mind the extra cost, it could be a way to go - I guess it depends on whether you feel like you need to sort of "feel out" the subject matter rather than diving into attending one or more class every day of the week.

Also, how easy it is to get volunteer/research work in the area? Lastly, is there any option for an MCAT preparation course or are students on their own for finding and signing up for one? I'm looking to start in the summer. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you!

There a several opportunities for research work and volunteer work. Brigham and Women's Hospital has the MCEP program (google it) and I know some students work at Mass General and Mt. Auburn Hospital.

I don't know of an MCAT prep course associated directly with Harvard, but Kaplan is about a block away. They often create schedules to accommodate the Extension students who have classes at night. I heard ExamKrackers is close by as well. HEPS (Harvard Extension Pre-Health Society) occasionally auctions Kaplan courses.

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I just graduated from UCLA and I'm planning on going to Harvard Extension this fall. (filling out the application right now!) I'd love to get in touch with anyone else who is also starting this fall, so send me a message! :biglove:

Awesome thanks for your reply! Looks like I'm going to Wash U though :banana: Good luck everyone at HES!

There a several opportunities for research work and volunteer work. Brigham and Women's Hospital has the MCEP program (google it) and I know some students work at Mass General and Mt. Auburn Hospital.

I don't know of an MCAT prep course associated directly with Harvard, but Kaplan is about a block away. They often create schedules to accommodate the Extension students who have classes at night. I heard ExamKrackers is close by as well. HEPS (Harvard Extension Pre-Health Society) occasionally auctions Kaplan courses.

Hello All,

I plan to start my pre-med studies this fall. Does anyone know when I need to register by?

Thank you!

You can wait until the day before classes start to register, if you want.

Is anyone still waiting to receive their decision whether tbey got into the program? It's been almost a week since they received my application and i'm getting really eager to hear back because i have so much riding on the decision. I'm probably going to wait another week to call them to confirm that they got the app in the mail but i already know they did because i tracked it and someone signed off on it.

I'm expecting to get rejected but i'm secretly hoping for a miracle. Regardless, i still plan to move to boston to enroll in HES classes but i really want to know my status to see if i need to take out private loans or not.

Yeah i know i'm sounding really pushy but i haven't called them yet; i'm trying to be as patient as possible. But i heard that they sometimes send out decisions really quick so can you guys tell me how long you had to wait? Thanks!

I've been accepted into the HCP, and I'm trying to figure out the nicest/most cost-effective places to live that would be convenient for this program (I'm completely unfamiliar with Boston). Also, if there are any resources to find roommates in the area, that'd be awesome as well. Thanks!

- Russell

Hi everyone! :) I'm a senior at UCLA and I'm really interested in applying to the HCP for Fall 2011. I have already taken the med school prereqs, so I'm doing this mostly as an "academic enhancer." Also, I still haven't taken the MCAT, so I will be doing that this coming year as well.

I have some questions for anyone who is a part of the program. My GPA is over 3.2, so from what I gather from the Harvard website, I would need to complete 20 units to be sponsored. Would I be able to start Fall 2011 and apply to med schools June 2012? In other words, how long before I intend to apply should I be asking for sponsorship, etc.?

Thanks!!

congrats the acceptance even though you won't be attending. I think you said you're moving to nyc? I'm currently in nyc and hoping to move out to cambridge soon. How long did you have to wait to hear back? Months?

And yeah i would send them an email because you never know when circumstances might change and you decide you want to go to HES in the near or distant future making it beneficial for you let them know your situation in case of a future re-application.

Received my acceptance letter today! It's nice to have closure on that application (since I can't attend anyway). But...

"With the proviso discussed below...we are worried by your <insert crappy grade> in Biology. Because it constitutes a disadvantage, and needs to be compensated for to make your application to medical school competitive, we will also require a score of at least 30 when you take the MCAT."

REALLY??

(A bit upset about that proviso, but I truly appreciate the honest feedback that I received in this single letter of acceptance. For those who plan to enroll, it truly seems like a great program.)

That goes to show, kids, that one sh*tty grade from one pre-req during your first semester of freshman year in college will forever haunt you.

By the way, does anyone believe that it is necessary to send Dr. Fixsen a letter or e-mail if one chooses to decline admission?

Hi,

Does anyone know what the registration is like for HES classes?

I have not applied yet, but will send in my application soon. I have a nearly 4.0 GPA from undergrad (economics), and have only taken two bio courses -- years ago. I plan on applying for financial aid, and registering for general chemistry and physics I.

I know the finaid priority date, and class registration dates, but not what is meant by "limited registration." Are these courses generally filled very quickly once registration opens?

One more question... do HCP students enroll in courses for graduate credit or undergraduate credit? There is a huge cost difference, about $950 vs.~$1800.
Thanks!

One more question... do HCP students enroll in courses for graduate credit or undergraduate credit? There is a huge cost difference, about $950 vs.~$1800.
Thanks!

Undergrad, unless for some reason you need a masters.

Hi,

Does anyone know what the registration is like for HES classes?

I have not applied yet, but will send in my application soon. I have a nearly 4.0 GPA from undergrad (economics), and have only taken two bio courses -- years ago. I plan on applying for financial aid, and registering for general chemistry and physics I.

I know the finaid priority date, and class registration dates, but not what is meant by "limited registration." Are these courses generally filled very quickly once registration opens?

The time frame in which the limited registration courses fill up is all over the place. Some of the psych courses fill up rather quickly - within 3-5 days of the beginning of registration. You should be fine as long as you don't wait until the week before classes start. The system is set up so you can see how many people have registered and how many seats are left. Pretty handy.

Hi everyone! :) I'm a senior at UCLA and I'm really interested in applying to the HCP for Fall 2011. I have already taken the med school prereqs, so I'm doing this mostly as an "academic enhancer." Also, I still haven't taken the MCAT, so I will be doing that this coming year as well.

I have some questions for anyone who is a part of the program. My GPA is over 3.2, so from what I gather from the Harvard website, I would need to complete 20 units to be sponsored. Would I be able to start Fall 2011 and apply to med schools June 2012? In other words, how long before I intend to apply should I be asking for sponsorship, etc.?

Thanks!!

There is a very tight time line for requesting sponsorship that they are being tough about mostly because the number of people who want sponsorship has gone up significantly in the last few years. Definitely call HCP and find out when that date is and don't miss it. As for your timing re June 2012, keep in mind that you have to have all your letters of req to HCP in a timely fashion and most professors want to wait until the end of the semester before they'll write anything. Best to focus of getting some from the Fall.

Moki, thanks for responding and being helpful to future HES students.

I have a question regarding LORs. If a student is accepted for sponsorship and a committee letter, is the HCP letter just one letter sent to schools? Or is it one summation of the students record in addition to the individual LORs attached to it?

Also, does the student have to request individual letters and submit them to the office as the student progresses through the semesters or does the office handle everything? I'm not sure how the whole process works with the composite letter.

I should ask the office on how it works but since you and others are being so helpful i thought I'd try here first.

Thanks!

It is a composite letter - a picture of you and why HCP is supporting you. The information they use is gleened from a personal inventory (not sure what it is actually called) that you will be given in Dec or Jan (I think) and asked to submit to them and your letters of recommendation. When the committee letter is submited to AMCAS on your behalf, the letters of recommendation they used will be attached. You are responsible for requesting the letters of recommendation and for making sure that they are sent directly to HCP on that person's letterhead. I had people submit them as I went. That way I was fresh in their minds and it was one more thing I could check off.

Hope that helps.

I've been accepted into the HCP, and I'm trying to figure out the nicest/most cost-effective places to live that would be convenient for this program (I'm completely unfamiliar with Boston). Also, if there are any resources to find roommates in the area, that'd be awesome as well. Thanks!

- Russell

I recommend Inman Square - it's a good combination of price, safe area, and walking distance to the science center. Porter Square and Davis Square are also good options (short ride on the red line). If money is not an issue, then I would recommend Harvard Square.

Parking is tough, so I think it's best to be within walking distance of the Science Center or somewhere on the Red Line.

For finding roommates, try craigslist... or if you want to live with other HCP students, then post here!

Good luck in the HCP!

Thanks Moki. That answer cleared up some questions I had. Much appreciated.

Well the inevitable came in the mail and I didn't get into the HCP. It was expected but still disappointing.

But I'm still determined to succeed and reapply to the program in the future and I'm planning to move to Cambridge soon and take pre-calc and calc 1 in Harvard summer school to prep myself for fall chem and physics.

Is anyone else planning to move to the area for summer school? I'd prefer to live with other HES students than randoms on craigslist. If anyone is interested in getting a place with me or if anyone knows/has a place available In June please get in contact with me!

BUMP. This thread is getting buried from inactivity. How has everyone been doing? It might be a little early for fall starters but how are your plans going for people planning to start at HES/HCP in 2011?

I plan to move to boston from nyc next month (may) to start a summer math prep at umass boston instead of harvard ss then enroll at HES in the fall.

Are any HES students looking for a roommate? I plan to move to boston very soon and would prefer to live with other post bac students.

I already live and work near Boston, so no change for me there. But I am sending in my application Monday, after a lot of delay in writing my personal statement. But you do bring up an interesting point: what level of math preparation is expected for just the pre-reqs? I looked at the Physics I class site and read the math review .pdf, which seems to expect only HS algebra and trig. Is this sufficient for general chemistry and physics, in your experiences?

And Smiley, what type of math preparation does your UMass program entail?

I'm on the verge of completing my first year and it's been quite an experience, to say the least.

I've gone from being a San Diego native, to enduring the harsh Boston winter. I have stuck it out through the infamous Rueckner's class, learned to enjoy general chemistry, been an executive of the pre-health society, was hired for a FANTASTIC job at MGH, and have now finished mapping out how my next year and a half prior to the MCAT will play out.

The HCP is a very challenging, but rewarding program. We don't have a fancy advising center, and no one holds your hand. But, I think that doing everything under your own power and dictating your own schedule is incredibly nice.

If anyone has ANY questions, feel free to PM me. I know that I would have loved to have had a mentor going in.

Good luck to you all!!

I can't tell you based on experience what level of math is recommended for the pre-reqs as I haven't taken any of them. But after looking online it seems that college algebra and pre-calc/trig is highly recommended and even a pre-req at some schools to take physics.

This summer I plan to take pre-calc and calc 1 at umass boston, not in a formal program or anything. I haven't taken algebra 2/college algebra but I have been doing some self-study and I want to skip to pre-calc and teach myself the algebra along the way.

I believe physics at HES is algebra based so calc is not required but I've read that having some background is calculus is recommended to get a deeper understanding of the intuition. I haven't taken physics so this is just based off of what I've read but I heard that professors don't expect you to know calculus but they will show derivations in class anyway and it just seems optimal to get the deepest understanding i can and not just memorize formulas just for the exam and forget them by mcat time.

But I do plan on doing the math review that you mentioned and someone else recommended schaum's outline math review for science and technology or something like that.. if i have time before fall. i'm a very weak math student and it takes a lot of work for me to get it.

anybody want to offer their experience with regard to the math required for classes?

Last edited:
The physics class is algebra based, yes. And, if you're expecting to learn anything from that class, then you've got a lot of heartache ahead of you. Look at the rankings of the physics professor at ratemyprofessors.com. It's all totally valid. Not to scare you or anything, but his class has an ATROCIOUS attrition rate. Those of us who made it through are battered, but still around.

I can't tell you based on experience what level of math is recommended for the pre-reqs as I haven't taken any of them. But after looking online it seems that college algebra and pre-calc/trig is highly recommended and even a pre-req at some schools to take physics.

This summer I plan to take pre-calc and calc 1 at umass boston, not in a formal program or anything. I haven't taken algebra 2/college algebra but I have been doing some self-study and I want to skip to pre-calc and teach myself the algebra along the way.

I believe physics at HES is algebra based so calc is not required but I've read that having some background is calculus is recommended to get a deeper understanding of the intuition. I haven't taken physics so this is just based off of what I've read but I heard that professors don't expect you to know calculus but they will show derivations in class anyway and it just seems optimal to get the deepest understanding i can and not just memorize forumals just for the exam and forget them by mcat time.

But I do plan on doing the math review that you mentioned and someone else recommended schaum's outline math review for science and technology or something like that.. if i have time before fall. i'm a very weak math student and it takes a lot of work for me to get it.

Is another prof that teaches physics? Is Eric towne any better?