Official Harvard Extension 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is another prof that teaches physics? Is Eric towne any better?

I'm assuming that Eric Towne is the summer professor, but I'm not sure. Rueckner is the only professor I know of, and teaches both semesters during the traditional academic year.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone take 3 courses/semester before? Anyone think it would be feasible working 20 hrs/week and volunteering on top of that?:boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone take 3 courses/semester before? Anyone think it would be feasible working 20 hrs/week and volunteering on top of that?:boom:

I know some cats that are doing the bio/phys/chem route--have been for the last year--and they say that there's no way they can work. Volunteering, sure...if it's limited.

You have to realize that each class takes about 5-7 hours of time JUST for class/lecture/section per week. THEN you can add in your required reading and assignments. It's rigorous. The only reason I work 40 hours/week is because I have to. And me taking two classes on top of that is a bit of a stretch.

I know some cats that are doing the bio/phys/chem route--have been for the last year--and they say that there's no way they can work. Volunteering, sure...if it's limited.

You have to realize that each class takes about 5-7 hours of time JUST for class/lecture/section per week. THEN you can add in your required reading and assignments. It's rigorous. The only reason I work 40 hours/week is because I have to. And me taking two classes on top of that is a bit of a stretch.

100% agree with BeachBlondie. I also did the 40+ hr/wk job plus two pre-req courses and it was painful. With that said, you may be able to handle three non-pre-req (upper level science) courses plus your proposed schedule. The rigour of the non-pre-reqs varies greatly depending on the subject matter and professor. Don't under estimate the pre-reqs, though. They are a lot of work and, if you try to do too much, you may end up screwing yourself. Good luck.

I'm also finishing up my first year in the Harvard Extension program taking Physics and Gen Chem, while working a 40+ hour per week full time job. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me or post here.

As BleachBlondie said, Rueckner's Physics class is tough. I found that the best way to get through it is to ALWAYS read the chapter in the textbook (several times, if you find the material difficult) before you attend the lecture for that chapter. His lectures are very heavy on demonstrations and very light on the basic math and principles behind what's happening. If you're already familiar with the basics, the lectures will then help you get a deeper understanding. I come from an engineering background so I think physics comes slightly easier to me than many, but I'm older and haven't done anything relating to physics in 10+ years and I still managed to pull off an A last semester. If you work hard, you will be well rewarded. :)

man i'm getting excited to start classes at HES. i hope i can make the cut!

i'm gonna be catching the greyhound from nyc to boston tomorrow (3am!!) to take the math placement at umass boston and to check out the area, hopefully check out some rooms too. i'm staying for a few nights then i'll bus it back to nyc.

i've never been to boston before and i'll have to figure out the public transportation system and all of that but i'm excited.

It might be a little early for fall starters but how are your plans going for people planning to start at HES/HCP in 2011?

This has been something I've been looking into for a couple years now, so I'm excited to finally get everything sorted and actually do it. I've been taking gen chem locally over the last year to prove to myself I'm not an idiot, so I'll be doing the organic/bio sequences with the veterans. I should be easy to spot though as the new guy wandering around looking lost.

For those who aren't aware of this, most (all?) of the course materials for the HES courses are available on the internet, accessible even to those without Harvard IDs.
For example:
Chem I - http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k72483&pageid=icb.page354924
Chem II - http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k78379&pageid=icb.page399455
I've been listening to the lectures, doing problems, etc. from here as a supplement and I think it's fantastic. Highly recommended. Of course, the prof could change between now and the fall and totally banjax the whole operation, but, even then, it's still probably not a bad resource for those of you looking to prep ahead of time - see what topics are covered, the level of math required, etc.

I'll roll into Boston late June/early July and may be interested in some sort of roommate situation.

Hey everyone,
I applied a week and a half ago to HCP. Still haven't gotten anything back yet.

Ivory! I am so happy that you put up that link. I've been studying chem by myself right now and this is going to be very very helpful! thank you!...

anyway i graduated with a 3.36 but still kind of worried of not getting into HCP... if i do, im planning on moving to boston probably next month. during the summer i want to take an EMT course through BU while taking Calc at Harvard... that way ill be done with training by the time classes start on September and i can start work then..

maybe during my second year im thinking about becoming an ER tech. from what i read it you need an EMT certificate first. Anyone thinking along the same lines as I am?

if yall looking for a roommate PM me.

Good job in preparing for classes with recorded lectures. I respect that. You all should Also check out MIT open courseware lectures on youtube, i believe they have pre-med science lectures and it's all free.

As for me, I don't plan to get too ahead and like nontrad suggested- i plan to come to class prepared by reading the material beforehand.

Does anyone know when the fall class schedule is going to be available?

100% agree with BeachBlondie. I also did the 40+ hr/wk job plus two pre-req courses and it was painful. With that said, you may be able to handle three non-pre-req (upper level science) courses plus your proposed schedule. The rigour of the non-pre-reqs varies greatly depending on the subject matter and professor. Don't under estimate the pre-reqs, though. They are a lot of work and, if you try to do too much, you may end up screwing yourself. Good luck.

Thanks for taking time to post Moki. I don't know how you do it--work, study, and post to this forum. I'd like to know how you end up balancing working full-time (40+) and studying at HES. Any suggestions? Also, if you are working full-time and studying, how do you make time for volunteering? Can research work be used as a substitute for volunteer work?

~cluster

I am as curious as Cluster is! I will most likely be working full-time if I attend HES. I'm not too worried as I did this through my undergrad, but the school was not anywhere near the level of HES.

That is...unless I convince myself to get loans. Sigh. Managed to get out of undergrad debt free. I guess med school on top of an extra 20k won't be so bad! :laugh:

Wheres the cheapest place to take calc in Boston ??
I'm thinking about registering at umass Boston it's like 1200

Members don't see this ad :)
i talked to peterson about taking calc at a community college. he said the credits arent transferable....

Have any of you fully completed a pre-medical course and are only going to HES to better your GPA? If so, what classes are you taking? I will be graduating this year and went the pre-health route but did poorly in my courses the first two years (3.6 university GPA (due to retakes), 3.1 AMCAS GPA). I am just trying to get an idea of what program is right for me.

Thanks

yeah i also walked away from undergad debt-free but i do plan to take out loans for my postbac. Say you take out 20-30k for your postbac and defer the repayment until you start your residency. i don't know exactly how much the payments will be so i'll throw out a random figure- that's an extra 2-3 hundred per month on top of your med school loans to pay for the postbac.

It's more worth it for me to ensure that i have enough time to study and bang out some awesome extra currics than to sweat an extra 2-3 hundred per month in loan repayment. I respect people that can lock down the FT job and do well in classes but my ugpa is so low that i NEED to make sure i put my best effort into the postbac.

I am as curious as Cluster is! I will most likely be working full-time if I attend HES. I'm not too worried as I did this through my undergrad, but the school was not anywhere near the level of HES.

That is...unless I convince myself to get loans. Sigh. Managed to get out of undergrad debt free. I guess med school on top of an extra 20k won't be so bad! :laugh:

I have a question for people that are currently in the program or those of you that have already completed the program, is it advisable to take Chemistry first as opposed to Biology in the fall? Also, I would like to know what the required textbooks are for Biology 1-E a & b, Chemistry, and Physics. Thank you.

I was wondering if anyone has some insight into how AP Calculus credit is perceived by admissions committees. I've called a bunch of med schools, talked to their advisors and have spoken with Peterson about it, and while all these conversations indicate that a 4 on the AP Calc AB exam (which I took in '04) is totally acceptable for fulfilling one semester of med schools' math requirements, I still tend to have my doubts. Does anyone know how AP credit gets calculated into AMCAS's GPA? The main reason why I'm doubtful is that other premed postbac programs will not allow you to use AP credit towards math (Columbia and several others I believe), but if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

I've called a bunch of med schools, talked to their advisors and have spoken with Peterson about it, and while all these conversations indicate that a 4 on the AP Calc AB exam (which I took in '04) is totally acceptable for fulfilling one semester of med schools' math requirements, I still tend to have my doubts.

What more do you need to hear? And from whom? If you've talked to advisers at medical schools, I'm not sure how much closer to the horse's mouth you can get.

For those who aren't aware of this, most (all?) of the course materials for the HES courses are available on the internet, accessible even to those without Harvard IDs.
For example:
Chem I - http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k72483&pageid=icb.page354924
Chem II - http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k78379&pageid=icb.page399455
I've been listening to the lectures, doing problems, etc. from here as a supplement and I think it's fantastic. Highly recommended. Of course, the prof could change between now and the fall and totally banjax the whole operation, but, even then, it's still probably not a bad resource for those of you looking to prep ahead of time - see what topics are covered, the level of math required, etc.

Ivory, this was an EXTREMELY helpful link. Thank you! I love to see the caliber of teachers within the program. I've never been in a science glass where we sat down and discussed application vs. memorization let alone the principle of building knowledge. I've begun to watch these already and take notes. Very much appreciated by the over achievers!

-Jennet

I have a question for people that are currently in the program or those of you that have already completed the program, is it advisable to take Chemistry first as opposed to Biology in the fall? Also, I would like to know what the required textbooks are for Biology 1-E a & b, Chemistry, and Physics. Thank you.

When Fixsen taught Biology, you probably want to have some Chemistry background first. That's how the program recommends it. But with the new professor, that really is not necessary. Take Bio or Chem first.

As for textbooks, I've listed them below. But realize that can change year-to-year. The physics text was new for our year. If you plan to buy the books, let me recommend buying the International Edition of the Bio/Chem/Physics off eBay or whatnot for about $60. The contents are identical to the US edition, except for the paperback cover. I used the International Edition for all 3 of these classes, which saved me a lot of money. Unfortunately, there is no International Edition of the Organic text. But do yourself a favor and buy the e-book version of the organic text. You'll never have to actually read from it. You only need it for about 6 HW problems from the first semester. If you really don't have the cash, it's on reserve at the library. You'll read extensively from Physics and Bio text, but hardly at all in either Chem courses. Each textbook is good for both semester (ie. E1a, E1b), just make sure you don't buy the half-volume versions of the textbooks (like Physics).

Also, go to Home Depot and buy a pair of goggles for $3 for Chem lab. Unless you want the fancier ones sold at the COOP. They must be full, wrap-around-eyes goggles, not glasses.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Biology text - "Biology" by Brooker, 2nd Ed.
http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Rober...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303484291&sr=1-1

Gen Chem text - "General Chemistry" by Chang, any recent edition is fine.
http://www.amazon.com/General-Chemi...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303484272&sr=1-3

Physics text - "Physics" by Giambattista
http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Alan-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303484243&sr=1-1

Organic text - "Organic Chemistry" by Jones
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0WDXDMDACQH3ZN8BF5WZ

I was wondering if anyone has some insight into how AP Calculus credit is perceived by admissions committees. I've called a bunch of med schools, talked to their advisors and have spoken with Peterson about it, and while all these conversations indicate that a 4 on the AP Calc AB exam (which I took in '04) is totally acceptable for fulfilling one semester of med schools' math requirements, I still tend to have my doubts. Does anyone know how AP credit gets calculated into AMCAS's GPA? The main reason why I'm doubtful is that other premed postbac programs will not allow you to use AP credit towards math (Columbia and several others I believe), but if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Does it appear on your undergraduate transcript? Did your undergrad accept your AP credits?

I'm utilizing my AP credits in BC calc, which my undergrad accept. It appears on my undergrad transcript as AP credits. Fixsen mentioned it should be fine.

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any replies:

1) How long was your essay?
2) I just recently had the epiphany that I would go to med school, but I have zero volunteer experience in the medical field. However, I plan on starting this weekend. Will this be an issue?
3) I'm a Banking and Finance major with 3.7 GPA. I know this program is somewhat geared toward career changers, but am I too big a stretch?

My essay was 500words. The app didn't say how much u needed to write. You will have time to do some volunteering at post bacc. Also you're not a stretch. Music students have changed their minds too. Anyway I sent my app two and a half weeks ago and i called Peterson to see if they received everything and it turned out that my transcript was missing. They found it yesterday so hopefully I'll get a response from them soon. Is anyone accepted yet??????

I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any replies:

1) How long was your essay?
2) I just recently had the epiphany that I would go to med school, but I have zero volunteer experience in the medical field. However, I plan on starting this weekend. Will this be an issue?
3) I'm a Banking and Finance major with 3.7 GPA. I know this program is somewhat geared toward career changers, but am I too big a stretch?

2) You don't need volunteer experience to take postbac classes, but you'll need it for medical school. You can get your experience within the two years at Harvard Extension. There are lots of volunteer opportunities.
3) Not a stretch at all. In fact, you'll be surprised by the diversity of backgrounds. I've met a lot of people who studied law, finance, comp sci, etc. You'll fit right in.

I applied to HCP a couple weeks ago for fall 2011. I have a 3.16 undergrad gpa with a liberal arts major at a top tier school (not ivy though). I have not taken any math or science courses what so ever. Is there any chance I'll be rejected? I've been kindof operating under the assumption that it's a sure thing and considering my gpa is pretty low maybe that's unrealistic? I don't want to be completely caught off guard if I dont get an acceptance.

thanks!

Right on. I'm planning on doing gen chem this summer, then bio/math/stats/some writing course over the spring and fall semesters, then physics in the summer.

I was thinking doing bio/physics/math or bio/physics/chem while working and volunteering would've been virtually impossible, but figured I'd some experienced opinions before changing that around.

I'm hoping have at least one less lab course will make the course load more manageable. I can't imagine Calc B being any more difficult than Calc A, nor any different from what I took years ago in undergrad. I'll just have to deal with my burning hatred for statistics.

By the way, how many hours/week do you guys volunteer? Do most/all places have a minimum requirement? If I were to volunteer once a week (say, 3 or 4 hours/day) for two or three years, would that be enough, or would I need more?

How long did you have to wait for?

It took about a month to receive a response. And, as was mentioned above, they do seem to have trouble receiving materials. In my case, though, it was my financial aid plan, which seemed to be laying around in some dark corner of the building for two weeks after it was received. It seems whoever's working the mail at 51 Brattle St. needs some help.

I'm inclined to say that you're fine, but if you're that worried, call Dr. Fixsen to discuss your concerns. He'll probably be able to tell you on the spot whether or not they'll "reject" you. I put quotes around reject because they probably won't outright reject you, but rather, recommend that you do not go down this path.

Thank you! So if they "recommend that you dont go down that path" does that mean you can't get in to the program anymore?

Hi, has anyone gone through HCP and gotten accepted to Med School? I got accepted to Mississippi College SMP and is currently applying to HCP. I'm not sure which is better for an academic enhancer with a BS in Human Biology.

Any advice?? :confused:

Same here! Tho no sponsorship unless I get a 32 on the MCAT....ouch! I didn't think my grades were THAT bad. Oh well.

That being said, I am eager to start my premed journey this Summer beginning with Gen Chem! Anyone looking for roommates?

I'm going to drive out from Cali on 6/23 so ideal move in date would be late June/early July, price range: $450 - $600/month, no cats/smoking. Open to hostelling for a few weeks while looking for a good fit.

im planning on subletting for the summer and trying to find another place for sept. i have to see where im going to end up working after my emt training!

Hey so who is starting with summer school next month?

You all will probably take chemistry in the summer right?

I'm starting off my postbac journey with pre-calc then calc 1 at umass summer school then physics and chem in the fall at HES. Only about 28 days until class starts!

Shoutout to everyone starting at HES in 2011!

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm so nervous/excited/scared about hearing from the school. If I may ask, how did everyone receive an official acceptance? Is there an interview or do they simply send an acceptance letter?

Last edited:
Accepted! :D

Jennet: I received a pretty simple acceptance letter. Comes with a letter and instructions on how to register. Not much else, just a couple sheets of paper. Took about 5-6 weeks for mine but I've heard it can take longer than that. Don't be scared!

See you all in class!

Hey y'all (yes I'm a Texan),

Congrats on the acceptances! I'm so nervous/excited/scared about hearing from the school. If I may ask, how did everyone receive an official acceptance? Is there an interview or do they simply send an acceptance letter?

I am counting chickens before they hatch! Saving money, buying cold weather clothes on sale, checking out costs of living. I know the financial aid deadline is May 1st, so hope to hear before then. Still, it makes me nervous to anticipate acceptance without having the official word.

Again, congrats everyone. I hope I can tell you my success story soon!
- Jennet

IMPORTANT!!

If you haven't heard back from HES, call and ask about the status of your application. First, it was great advice to check the process and second, the admissions person I spoke with (man?) said it was an easy find.

As some people mentioned earlier, my materials were missing. I submitted my transcripts over a month ago and my application was mailed 2 weeks ago. While they received my application, they DID NOT receive any of my transcripts (which is fishy because UPenn has theirs).

I highly suggest everyone take the initiative and call the office to see if your materials have been received! That will cut back on the wait time!

Hope to see you guys in fall. Call them now!!

-Jennet

...I know the financial aid deadline is May 1st, so hope to hear before then. Still, it makes me nervous to anticipate acceptance without having the official word...
- Jennet

June 1st, right..?