Official: Harvard 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone here finishing up there pre-req's on there own (non-HCP) AND/OR taking some additional classes to gain knowledge as well as help their GPA, such as neurobiology, comparative anatomy, the like...?

Members don't see this ad.

I second NJD's question from above. Is it possible to just take certain basic pre-reqs, while taking a few more advanced coursework (ie-neurobio)? Would this still classify me as a post-bacc. student? And would the upper level coursework weigh into my undergrad GPA as well?

Thanks!

Hi Kate,

Since no one else picked up on this -- note that Harvard is pretty unusual in the lack of access to student privileges you will have as a "non-certificate" student. You will be able to get into some of the libraries but not all (Widener is one of the exclusions) and you will not have borrowing privileges. However, if you're taking multiple science courses at HES you won't have that much time for outside reading anyhow . . .

The lack of athletic privileges might be more of an issue so you'd want to budget for that if need be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Kate,

Since no one else picked up on this -- note that Harvard is pretty unusual in the lack of access to student privileges you will have as a "non-certificate" student. You will be able to get into some of the libraries but not all (Widener is one of the exclusions) and you will not have borrowing privileges. However, if you're taking multiple science courses at HES you won't have that much time for outside reading anyhow . . .

The lack of athletic privileges might be more of an issue so you'd want to budget for that if need be.

#1 I've been in Widener many times over the past 2 years (it's more quiet than the science center library around exam time), all you need to show is your registration for the semester if you are non certif (as I was).

#2 You will never be required to take a book out of the library for any of your classes, so unless you have plenty of other time on your hands and really like to read this is a non-issue. Copies of all textbooks are made available for you to use in the library if you should find yourself waiting for your textbook after the semester starts.

#3 You won't have time to use the facilities anyway :)

Good luck

I got C's in physics and g chem so I want to retake them, at least it won't be the first time I see the material. Would this be considered a heavy schedule??

If you're retaking the classes, you essentially need to make sure you get an A in both. Having such a heavy schedule will not help toward that goal.

I'll be taking organic chem at the summer school starting Monday...

Anybody else on the forum going to be taking it then too?
(I know of 1 other person right now)...

I'll be taking organic chem at the summer school starting Monday...

Anybody else on the forum going to be taking it then too?
(I know of 1 other person right now)...
A bunch of us are - I'll be there, bright & early. If I'm awake enough to dress properly, I'll don my Texas hat. :)

(Hook 'Em!)

Re: Athletic privileges.

Although Hemenway is nice, it's going to be wicked overcrowded during the year since they closed the other gym for undergrads, and the hours can be less than favorable. My solution for next year will be joining Gold's in Somerville. It's clean, nice (has a separate women's gym if you need that), and will be open 24 hours. Only thing is you need a car :oops:

But yeah, you won't have time to exercise. But scurrying between your house and the library and back should be a good 2 miles per day :laugh:

What do people think of orgo thus far?

I think that lectures are pretty worthless - there is a 1:1 ratio of Alice in Wonderland slides to chemistry slides. I have a good TF and he teaches us a TON during section. I could be in too much a grade-whoring mindset to appreciate lectures, it's just that in section our TF will give us good & fast rules to follow in order to do problems - which is really what matters at the end of the day.

Just wanted to add another note about working out/etc. If you can fit it into your schedule, you'll feel better, be healthier, and all that good jazz. In reality, pretty much everyone I know kicks their workout to the curb once things start getting really busy. It's one more thing to make your schedule more stressful and one more thing to feel bad about skipping (along with sleep, socializing, etc. :) ). People saying that you won't have time to work out a bunch aren't being sarcastic. Many, including myself, take the mindset that is just one more hour a day that you can spend getting ready for the MCAT/studying for class/volunteering/researching/etc. In summer classes, it's much more possible since you have a steady schedule. But just get less toned & a little more fat for a year - everyone else is so you're not losing out in the dating game.

I have the year one books if anyone wants them - email me [email protected]

they will probably be thrown out by the end of the week. You have to come and pick them up though!

What do people think of orgo thus far?

I think that lectures are pretty worthless - there is a 1:1 ratio of Alice in Wonderland slides to chemistry slides.

Of course that's not true. I find lectures to be quite useful to understanding the basics.

#1 I've been in Widener many times over the past 2 years (it's more quiet than the science center library around exam time), all you need to show is your registration for the semester if you are non certif (as I was).

#2 You will never be required to take a book out of the library for any of your classes, so unless you have plenty of other time on your hands and really like to read this is a non-issue. Copies of all textbooks are made available for you to use in the library if you should find yourself waiting for your textbook after the semester starts.

#3 You won't have time to use the facilities anyway :)

Good luck
It sounds like everyone's here in Cambridge by now and has figured out the Harvard scene by . . . but just for the sake of archive accuracy . . . Sundarban is talking about access to the Widener reading room. I thought when Kate was asking about library access, that would normally include stack access and borrowing privileges.

Sundarban, if you have figured out how to get the rest of these Widener privileges as a non-certificate student, please let the rest of us know how!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is from the website re: reading privileges:

Widener Library Reading Room: Students who are not degree, certificate, or diploma candidates may request an access card for the Widener Library Reading Room by presenting their registration confirmations and photo IDs at the privileges desk. This card allows unlimited use of the reading room for one semester. Students do not have access to the stacks, but they can request that materials be paged to a desk in the reading room. Photocopying may be done with the permission of the staff.

I think you'd have to call other libraries directly for similar reading privileges. Not sure about getting books out, though...

This is from the website re: reading privileges:

Widener Library Reading Room: Students who are not degree, certificate, or diploma candidates may request an access card for the Widener Library Reading Room by presenting their registration confirmations and photo IDs at the privileges desk. This card allows unlimited use of the reading room for one semester. Students do not have access to the stacks, but they can request that materials be paged to a desk in the reading room. Photocopying may be done with the permission of the staff.

I think you'd have to call other libraries directly for similar reading privileges. Not sure about getting books out, though...

Access to other libraries w/out an ID card is spotty.

A BIG NOTE - probably been said before, but I'll throw it out there again. If you have a friend w/ an ID, they can check you into any library as a guest. Just make sure you make it to Lamont before 10:45p, as they stop admitting guests after that. Make friends w/ ID's ASAP. :)

Enjoy the day off

Wow, I'm surprised they don't at least offer full library privileges to those who take classes at their school. I can understand the gym, but the library? That's kind of cruel, actually! Does this Widener Library Reading Room get crowded and if so, are there other study spaces available for extension school students? As a BU alum I have access to their library, , and there's always the BPL, so maybe I'll spend time there studying. Or make friends with IDs, as you all have suggested.

What about computer labs/printing? I'm mainly concerned about printing, as I've been living off university/library printers since I was a freshman in college. I was reading on the HES website about the computer labs for the extension school but wasn't clear about whether or not printing is available.

Thanks to everyone for answering questions.

To comment on a few posts...

I find the orgo lectures reasonably helpful. I actually haven't found myself opening the text book or study guide since I got here (I'm sure I'll have to at some point).

The test seemed more than fair... I think its huge that we know what the format of the questions are going to be, and I wouldn't say the test was harder than purple book questions... (definitely not harder than the test review)

As far as library talk... I like the Widener reading room (its where I spend most of my study time now) But I guess I should explore other libraries while I still have ID privileges!

and Kate6058... as far as I can tell printing costs 10 cents a page =

The amount of libraries is really a non-issue. You can get a card to access Widener, which is huge and quiet. I like it. You can probably do the same for a lot of the other smaller libraries -- I'm pretty sure you can at the law school too.

Most of the people in the program, however, are in Cabot, which certainly has space enough. So, when in Rome...

First test was very fair - TF's said that scores are normally that high on it.

For printing, there's the distance education printing lab on Church St. that has free printing (score!).

Hi everyone, I just joined this site and have spent the last few hours looking for information about the Health Careers Program at Harvard and was hoping you could help me with a few questions.

First of all, I am told that I only need 20 credits to recieve sponsorship. I plan on trying to complete the Diploma in Premedical Studies, therefore taking all 32 credits required to do so. My question is, are most people taking other electives also? my original plan was to take the 8 required courses for the Diploma in 2 years (hopefully working a part time job and volunteering as well) and then to apply to Med school...is that just me being naive?

My udergraduate is not in Premed and I have basically no science backgroud, so this whole process is more than overwhelming to me. I have been struggeling to find any advising about the details of this program (what classes to take when, what books to get, how to prep for classes, who to contact for advice, etc).

I'm sorry to take up so much space, but any suggestions would be great.

Thanks so much!

Hey Iknow,

The courseload is basically however you feel you can handle. Most people who start their sciences here just do the basic pre-req's and volunteer, and then take Biochem during their glide year. That is, Chem and Physics during year 1, and Bio and Orgo during year 2. If you're inclined, there are lots of interesting upper division science courses -- eg Intro Neurobio or Intro to Epidemiology, both taught by profs from Harvard Med.

Though if you've never taken sciences before, two hard sciences / semester might be plenty. An elective in English / writing (which med schools like to see) might be nice if you haven't done that yet. Have you consulted with Owen Peterson yet? He advises alot of the students.

My advice, though, would be not to work if you don't have to. It puts you at a disadvantage in terms of energy levels, etc. Unless your job is really flexible or you think you're learning a lot bc it is a research experience. Otherwise I'd just volunteer and/or shadow a few hours a week.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

LinveinC,

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all that as I'm sure you are busy enough with your own workload! you have some great advice though, thank you!

for those who are taking two sciences/volunteering/not working... or anyone else for that matter... are there any students taking out loans to complete this program?

elephant,

Harvard's program is unique in that they only charge 8 to 9 hundred dollars per course, so I know a bunch that get support from their parents for cost of living in Boston. I worked the first year or two and paid my way through the program, but now I think I should have taken out loans and just focused on the courses -- the grades are too important, and the cost of this program is literally a drop in the bucket. (Sorry to sound like a broken record.) I met a few taking out loans, but overall I feel like the program is inexpensive enough to use whatever saved up funds you might have. But if you need to take them out, it would probably be for no more than 3,500 to 4,000 per year for tuition (if you're just doing two lab courses per semester).

Here is a link to info on financial aid, subdivided into sites for admitted and non-admitted students: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2007-08/register/financial/finaid/

I would also join Harvard University Employee's Credit Union once you get your student ID (if you are in the diploma program). I'm not sure if you can get an account with just a registration form for your courses, if no ID. It's a nice thing to have, and you get an account for yourself and any family members for life.

I'm actually working and taking out a loan. I don't have much savings and won't be able to get the support from my parents, so I'm getting federal aid. To avoid taking out too much in loans, I will continue to work a few shifts a week at my part-time job to make my rent money (and keep my health insurance!). I'm not willing to work more than the 20 hours I'm going to put in because, obviously, these courses are my #1 priority. So in the end, my loan will pay for courses, books, T pass, food, utilities, and misc. living expenses.... and since the tuition is low and I only need 1 year in the program, I won't go into much debt.

It's great if you can get help from your parents, but one of the greatest things about this program is its affordability. If you do need loans, you won't be $40k in the hole at the end of it like you might be after a different program.

Speaking of financial aid... has anyone who's applied received their aid package yet? I'm still waiting, and even though they told me it can take up until the last minute, it's making me nervous.

For health insurance -- if you work at Harvard part time (17.5 hours or more) they will give it to you, and also pay for your program and any other courses. If you're under 23 you might be able to stay under your parents umbrella. If you're a MA resident -- one of the new plans might apply.

Diploma students can purchase Harvard Pilgrim, I believe.

When do we find out how to register for classes? For anyone who has been through the program before... do they send you any paperwork or info besides the initial acceptance letter which tells you when registration is? I was looking around on the website and I guess you can't create an account until closer to mid-August? Cutting it close makes me nervous! Especially since I'm out of the area right now, I want to get things in order.

I emailed the financial aid office yesterday and called the main office for the program a few days ago to ask about registering and I haven't received a reply from either of them.

BOLD - Is there a significant difference in taking "do-it-yourself" classes at HES rather than being in a traditional program. Note that I am only missing 3 of my pre-req's and I'm not looking for sponsorship. - End Bold

Thanks I love you....:love: haha

NJD,

Plenty of people do his if tthey plan on getting sponsorship from their undergrad school, and do just fine. In this case you don't need to apply for the courses, you just register for them when the time comes. Check for the schedule to see what dates you're available to do so at http://extension.harvard.edu.

Hi all,

I apologize for probably posting in a wrong thread, but I guess that HES students are more likely reading this thread than any other thread.

I will start taking a DL course from HES this fall, hoping to be able to transfer to the ALB program at HES. I am almost done with the med. prerequisites at Mission College here in California, so I think I can do the ALB by DL with two summers, or maybe a year in Boston. I was planning to transfer, and getting the undergrad. degree from San Jose State, but HES DL would offer me a chance to keep both working and studying toward my goal.

It would be much easier if I move to Boston, but with a family, I like to defer the move to the year that I will quit working altogether, and start applying to med school. (I already reduced to working part-time now to study for the premed since last year.)

I would like to know if anyone here is doing the DL courses, or better yet is planning to getting the ALB from HES by DL, in-class, or a hybrid of both.

Thanks
NM

Hi all,

I apologize for probably posting in a wrong thread, but I guess that HES students are more likely reading this thread than any other thread.

I will start taking a DL course from HES this fall, hoping to be able to transfer to the ALB program at HES. I am almost done with the med. prerequisites at Mission College here in California, so I think I can do the ALB by DL with two summers, or maybe a year in Boston. I was planning to transfer, and getting the undergrad. degree from San Jose State, but HES DL would offer me a chance to keep both working and studying toward my goal.

It would be much easier if I move to Boston, but with a family, I like to defer the move to the year that I will quit working altogether, and start applying to med school. (I already reduced to working part-time now to study for the premed since last year.)

I would like to know if anyone here is doing the DL courses, or better yet is planning to getting the ALB from HES by DL, in-class, or a hybrid of both.

Thanks
NM

I've been thinking about it. I am moving to Boston to take 3 classes to complete a degree at another institution but was thinking of staying on and working towards an ALB as I put the last touches on my application. I might sign up for a DL course just to make my commutes easier--the neurobiology course specifically.

Nothing helpful from me I'm afraid except that I concur with your positive assessment of the program's strength and flexibility. Good luck.

Thanks Nasrudin,

If you don't mind, could you please share your experience moving to Boston, which area, and living expenses comparing to where you moved from.

I also like to signup for that neurobiology course too (there are only 3 biology-related courses available through DL,) but not this coming Fall, so please post your comment when you take it.

Do you know of any online forum/groups for HES DL students?

NM

Question(s)! Pick and choose! (or you can answer all :D)

1) When can I start to apply to the fall 2008 Health Careers Program? (basically when is the *earliest I can apply -- can I do so even before I obtain my Bachelors degree in May of 2008?)

2) The second main requirement for HES addmisions is to be in "good financial standing with the "Division of Continuing Education" " However, I went to the website and it directed me right back to the HCP website. Im worried about this because Im essentially a porper, undergrad student, with $1000s in debt with loans, and I stem from a single parent home. Anyway, can anyone direct me to the financial requirements?

3) Why do they ask for SAT scores...does it play a part in the admissions decision? My verbal score was only 440, if I can recall- would this hinder me? (and I am an English native) My math score was significantly higher.

4) Do you know anyone who was denied from HES or the HCP program? for what reason? I'm still weary about my application stats with my low gpa (~2.7 cumulat) Which brings me to ask...

5) Is there a way I can calculate my overall, science, and non-science GPA without going through the entire AMCAS application process? I would just like to see where I stand now.

6) Do you drive or take public transit to night classes- do you ever feel unsafe? is it pretty desolate at night? What does the general population of Harvard students do (including the "traditional" Harvard University students) Im basically debating on whether or not to bring my '95 car with me from NC)

7) What is the approx. average age of the students enrolled in HCP?

8) Why is the drop out rate so high!? I read somewhere that 1000s enroll in the program but only a few 100s graduate. Why is this so? Can it be that challenging? Are these "drop-outs" mostly those who never had taken science courses before entering the program? Will I be at an advantage given that Im a biology major, and I have already taken the basic premed pre-req courses? What makes the courses so difficult?

9) How much free time do you (honestly) have with a regular class schedule (8 hrs/semester) - do you have time for relaxing or is it extremely stressful?

10) How about volunteering in the medical hospital or doing research? Has anyone had experience with that? How was it? Were you then pressed for time?

11) Can you send me pictures of Harvard, the Extension School, and/or the halls where classes are taken? (I'm perhaps a bit over-demanding at this point? but I'd like to see what my surroundings would look like - yea, I'm a bit over excited)

11) Thank you so much in advance! :biglove:

cont...

12) What is the commencement like? Is it part of the entire Harvard commencement or is it separate? Does it involve wearing cap and gown?

13) What does the certificate look like? the transcript? Also, how do you write it on your resume?

:thumbup:

So I called the HCP and got some of my questions answered ( but I still left some open for you all to answer!)

1) You can apply right after you graduate and recieve your Bachelor's degree.

2) Although the Extension school is open-enrollment, there is a 2.7 cumulative GPA cut-off for the HCP (no science GPA cut though) (Is this something new?)

So, if you have a sub 2.7 cumulative gpa, you can always just register to take courses at the Extension School but you wont be apart of the HCP

3) Also, SAT scores dont really factor into HCP admissions decisions.

Question(s)! Pick and choose! (or you can answer all :D)

I can help with some of these:

5) Is there a way I can calculate my overall, science, and non-science GPA without going through the entire AMCAS application process? I would just like to see where I stand now.

You can get a rough estimate of your AMCAS GPAs by just adding your grades and dividing by the number of classes. Science grades are anything from a math, bio, phys, chem, etc. department - note that Computer Science and Engineering DON'T count as science here. Non-science is all the other classes. This is the method HCP uses, I believe. [If you want to get really fancy and figure out the AMCAS GPAs, you need to do the same thing but also adjust for credit hours: a 4-hour course gets more weight than a 3-hour course. The easiest way to figure this out is multiply each grade by the course's credit hours, add everything up, and divide by total number of hours. For what you're asking, I wouldn't worry about this.]

6) Do you drive or take public transit to night classes- do you ever feel unsafe? is it pretty desolate at night? What does the general population of Harvard students do (including the "traditional" Harvard University students) Im basically debating on whether or not to bring my '95 car with me from NC)
I usually took the subway (called the "T" in Boston and Cambridge), and occasionally drove. The subway always felt very safe - the station is right outside of the campus gates, on a well-lit busy street. Plus there are usually plenty of students around when classes get out. Depending on where you're commuting to, the other station may or may not feel as safe. When I drove, I parked on another street, also well-lit but somewhat less busy. I never felt unsafe walking to my car alone, but your comfort level may vary. I don't have any experience with the bus system, but the stop is right next to the T station and I don't think you'd need to worry.

Harvard does send out email announcements to its students reporting safety/security issues, and things do happen - it seems like most semesters had one or two reports of someone being attacked or robbed in the area, usually on back streets that you shouldn't need to travel if you plan right.

[When you consider my opinions, note that I'm an average-sized healthy adult male. Not particularly intimidating, but not inviting as an "easy target" either. A woman might see the overall safety situation differently.]

7) What is the approx. average age of the students enrolled in HCP?
I don't know what the average age is for HCP. From looking around at my classmates in lecture halls (the entire HES population, not just HCP), there tend to be a handful of undergrads, a large number of recent grads, a decent number of somewhat older students, and a handful of significantly older students. I'd guess the average is somewhere in the mid- to upper-mid 20s, but there really is a wide range. [I'm in my early 30s. I think more people were younger than me than older, but I didn't feel at all out of place.]

8) Why is the drop out rate so high!? I read somewhere that 1000s enroll in the program but only a few 100s graduate. Why is this so? Can it be that challenging? Are these "drop-outs" mostly those who never had taken science courses before entering the program? Will I be at an advantage given that Im a biology major, and I have already taken the basic premed pre-req courses? What makes the courses so difficult?
You pointed out a big reason for the drop-out rate yourself - the HES is open-enrollment. That means anyone can walk in off the street and sign up for a class, and lots of people find the work harder than they anticipated. Sure, the classes are hard, but not more than any other college-level science class. As a bio major, you've probably got an accurate idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

Thanks Nasrudin,

If you don't mind, could you please share your experience moving to Boston, which area, and living expenses comparing to where you moved from.

I also like to signup for that neurobiology course too (there are only 3 biology-related courses available through DL,) but not this coming Fall, so please post your comment when you take it.

Do you know of any online forum/groups for HES DL students?

NM

Sure I'll let you know. I've been on the left coast for 10 years and have only been to Boston once. I really am in the dark as you are. I've been thinking about targeting JP, when i get on the ground there. It seems like the kind of neighborhood i live in now. i like economic and cultural diversity of working families without the party scene or the ghetto type attractions.

Thanks so much HanginInThere! So I suppose I probably would want my car in Cambridge. Sometimes I get lazy, and prefer driving to walking. Can we park in a campus lot? Did you park on the streets because you did not have a parking permit?

Lots more questions to answer folks! Keep 'em coming! Thanks! :thumbup:

Lots more questions to answer folks! Keep 'em coming! Thanks! :thumbup:

The only reason I've yet to comment is that every question is answered in either this thread or last year's thread. I'm not trying to be rude but your questions are very simple to look up on the web or by searching the older harvard threads.

Sundarban,

I know you're not trying to be rude but I actually developed these questions upon reading hours and hours of current and past year HES threads. The more I read, the more questions I culimnated. The only question that I suppose has had some popular discussions about was my question no. 8., and I suppose I already new somewhat about question no. 3. I think it's completely necessary to keep these message boards continuously running and updated, and I dont think there should be any objection to doing so. Perhaps you have been lurking on this particular thread too long :p ...these questions may seem real "simple" to you, but again, I havent found any (or many) specific info regarding them. Since I still had questions left unanswered, I felt inclined to call the HCP program, and found that there is actually a 2.7 GPA cut-off! I dont believe that was ever mentioned in these threads. However, with all of my questions, I dont want to persistently call the HCP staff. Get my drift? Help a semi-newbie out! ...And Im still curious about my questions 9, 10, 12, and 13. ;)

Sorry that I had to rant!

Sundarban,

I know you're not trying to be rude but I actually developed these questions upon reading hours and hours of current and past year HES threads. The more I read, the more questions I culimnated. The only question that I suppose has had some popular discussions about was my question no. 8., and I suppose I already new somewhat about question no. 3. I think it's completely necessary to keep these message boards continuously running and updated, and I dont think there should be any objection to doing so. Perhaps you have been lurking on this particular thread too long :p ...these questions may seem real "simple" to you, but again, I havent found any (or many) specific info regarding them. Since I still had questions left unanswered, I felt inclined to call the HCP program, and found that there is actually a 2.7 GPA cut-off! I dont believe that was ever mentioned in these threads. However, with all of my questions, I dont want to persistently call the HCP staff. Get my drift? Help a semi-newbie out! ...And Im still curious about my questions 9, 10, 12, and 13. ;)

Sorry that I had to rant!

I know that you are excited about starting a new chapter of your life, but you need to realize that some of your questions are "jumping the gun" a bit and will seem pretty irrelevant once you start classes. As Sundarban mentioned, there is also great power in the "search" function, both here on this forum and also on the Extension home page. For instance, this (http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2007-08/commencement/) should answer question #12. And as far as what the transcript looks like, even though I was never an HES student, I can render an educated guess that it will be an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper that lists your name, ID number, the course numbers, course titles, credit hours, and your grades in those courses, just like any other transcript from any other U.S. university. And even though it is Haaavard, I don't believe that it is covered in gold leaf. Yes, it is early, and I am feeling quite sarcastic this morning, but you need to have your focus on doing well in your classes. Everything else will fall into place once you get to Cambridge. :luck:

9) How much free time do you (honestly) have with a regular class schedule (8 hrs/semester) - do you have time for relaxing or is it extremely stressful?

This depends on how well you handle your time. It varies with every student.

10) How about volunteering in the medical hospital or doing research? Has anyone had experience with that? How was it? Were you then pressed for time?

HEPPS has a lot of information on volunteering. They will even put you in contact with people who've volunteered and are willing to answer your questions. http://people.dce.harvard.edu/~hepps/

Stepping back from physics, chemistry, and volunteer positions for a moment...
What do you guys do for fun? I recall seeing a couple posts awhile back saying that HCP folks hang out some, organize study groups, grab beers together occasionally...true? I'm relocating to Cambridge, and I have a small group of friends here - but I want to make sure I'm not in any danger of turning into a Science Nerd.

Any suggestions on fun stuff going on in Boston and how to find out about it? Gallery openings, readings, book clubs, running clubs, rowing on the charles, wine tastings.... whatever.

Thanks!

Tons of stuff goes on in Boston. Check out the Weekly Dig and the Phoenix, the city's two weekly newspapers, for info on happenings in the arts and politics. I don't know about Cambridge, but in Brookline there's a great independent bookstore called Brookline Booksmith that has a lot of readings. You could probably find out about book clubs there (and you can find all these listings in the Phoenix for sure). In downtown Boston is the theater district if you enjoy live shows; also check out Boston Center for the Arts in the South End. If you're a film fan, you'll love that Boston has great independent theaters, festivals, and showings - Coolidge Corner, the Brattle, Harvard Film Archive, Museum of Fine Arts. I don't know much about rowing, but you'll be around for the Head of the Charles, which is a major rowing race that takes place I think at the beginning of October, and you can just stand around along the river or on a bridge and watch. The huge farmer's market at Haymarket (downtown, Orange and Green lines) is open on Fridays and Saturdays. Of course, right near Haymarket is the North End, where you should spend a lot of time eating great Italian food! And okay, I'm starting to ramble. If you want to talk more about Boston, please PM me. One more thing... I don't know about wine tastings, but I can direct you to great beer bars.

And now I have a HES-relevant question for anyone who can answer: trying to estimate my costs for the semester leads me to wonder... how much are books? I don't know if they'll have changed or not, but can someone give me an idea of titles/prices for Biology and Physics? Thanks.

Mae, there's also an abundance of ballroom (as in standard, latin, smooth, and rhythm) dance clubs and teams in/around the Boston/Cambridge area (funny I would recommend such a thing, huh?). However, I dont think us HES students can have access to the Harvard gym...I believe that's been discussed somewhere in this thread. On the other hand, if you can't get into the gym, there are always independently owned ballroom studios where you can take classes and what not. Im sure there are also social dance events going on. http://www.harvardballroom.org/ http://scripts.mit.edu/~mitbdt/

Thanks so much HanginInThere! So I suppose I probably would want my car in Cambridge. Sometimes I get lazy, and prefer driving to walking. Can we park in a campus lot? Did you park on the streets because you did not have a parking permit?

Yeah, I parked on the streets because I didn't have a parking permit. And I didn't have a permit becuase I have a T pass and usually didn't drive in. I never bothered looking into on-campus parking, so I don't know whether there's a lot available to HES students.

(I just did a quick check on the HES website. Look here http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2007-08/resources/transport.jsp and here http://www.uos.harvard.edu/transportation/par.shtml.)

...However, I dont think us HES students can have access to the Harvard gym...I believe that's been discussed somewhere in this thread.

You definitely don't get access to the gym just by taking HES classes. But if you do the HCP Diploma program (http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2007-08/programs/hcp/diploma/), you get some extra perks. I don't know if they include gym access.

Before anyone asks the color of the chairs in lecture hall C are red and the first one is usually a left handed desk.