Official: Harvard 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as Biology goes, I find it to be a very challenging yet immensely interesting course. Dr. Fixsen definitely has his own style, but I would hazard a guess that the format and style of his course more closely approximate what one can expect to find in medical school, than do some of the other teaching styles found here.

Funny, that's exactly what I was thinking at last night's lecture.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably answered in some long lost forum, but does HES have any linkage programs like Bryn Mawr, etc?

Also, if you feel like you are getting lost in a class at HES, is there enough support to guide you through? Im not looking for someone to hold my hand, but some sort of support is nice, especially in such an intensive program.

Hi - I was recently accepted into HES and I was curious about which professors that teach the required pre-medical courses have been the best. I'll start this summer 07', and I don't know if I should start with Dixsen - Biology, or Chem or Physics? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi - I was recently accepted into HES and I was curious about which professors that teach the required pre-medical courses have been the best. I'll start this summer 07', and I don't know if I should start with Dixsen - Biology, or Chem or Physics? Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help. :)

That's Dr. *F*ixsen (the Bio lecturer and head of the Health Careers Program).

I would advise you to do summer Chemistry. Greg Tucci is a great lecturer, there is a huge amount of tutorial time to really get you up to speed, and you really should do Chem first as the other lectures have dependencies on that material. You can't do Organic before General Chem, and Biology needs a good, active understanding of the chemistry. I've known people to do Chem + Bio at the same time... It's really rough and they miss out on a lot of the finer understanding which is important in doing well in the Bio course and doing well on the MCAT. Physics has a less significant dependency on General Chem, so if you don't do the summer, but want to do two classes in your first year, do Chem + Phys.

Summer Chem, because it takes so much time, shouldn't be done with a full-time job - it takes up most of your daytime hours. That said, the time together really gives you a chance to get to know your fellow students, which is a really good opportunity. Greg makes an effort to combine all post-bacc students into one or two tutorial groups, so the people that you get to know during the summer will be the ones that you go through the other courses with, throughout the year. You have ready-made support and study groups for every subsequent course, thanks to the summer course. It's genuinely helpful. :)

Probably answered in some long lost forum, but does HES have any linkage programs like Bryn Mawr, etc?

No direct linkage. However, there are certain programs who look favorably upon the graduates from HES. I know UVM, UNECOM, Drexel are a few.

Also, if you feel like you are getting lost in a class at HES, is there enough support to guide you through? Im not looking for someone to hold my hand, but some sort of support is nice, especially in such an intensive program.

Your support system will be the friends you make in the program. If you're a personable person, it's relatively easy to make new friends, join study groups, etc. The TF's, instructors, etc. are all accessable as well, however your classmates will be your main support in terms of getting through the classes with minimal stress. The courses are compoundedly (did I just make up a word?) harder if you do not make friends.

Although many want to do an Sn2 to his name and replace the Florine with Deuterium by the end of the year.

Surely you realize that fluorine is a bad leaving group and deuterium is a bad nucleophile -- no SN2 for you!

The courses are compoundedly (did I just make up a word?) harder if you do not make friends.

Compoundedly?

My ears are bleeding.....!

I know that a piece of writing sometimes benefits from the addition of an amusing synonym, but that was just not called for. :D

$quote =~ s/compoundedly ([\w\s]*\?)/significantly/;

Since i have already taken some of the pre-med recqs, i was told that i cant partake in the Diploma for Pre-Med program.

What are you guys doing (program, plan of action) who are in the same boat as me?

The diploma program doesn't really matter; it's just a loophole to allow HCP students to get a Harvard ID and be legally considered a full-time student in a diploma program. You should still be able to get into the Health Careers Program, which is what you need for sponsorship.

Does anyone have any insight into how long the application review period is from the time they receive it, to the time you receive an answer? Thanks!:D

Does anyone have any insight into how long the application review period is from the time they receive it, to the time you receive an answer? Thanks!:D

If you don't hear back in 2 weeks call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, I'll be an HCP newbie in the fall of '07, doing the 20 credit requirement, hopefully applying to schools in the spring of 2008. Couldn't help but notice that there are a few new applicants poking around the thread. Is this a good or appropriate place to look for roommates? If not, I'll just start that thread myself.
Also, could anyone throw out some insight as to good placement for renting? I have found some places along the southern reaches of the green line (misson hill, etc). The transit website lists the trip from that part of the city to school as .5 hours one way, but is that really the case when switching to red halfway? That part of town does seem pretty close to a bunch of hospitals, though (I'm thinking volunteering and general employment). As with most, a good mix of distance and price is highly desirable. Help!

Hello all, I'll be an HCP newbie in the fall of '07, doing the 20 credit requirement, hopefully applying to schools in the spring of 2008. Couldn't help but notice that there are a few new applicants poking around the thread. Is this a good or appropriate place to look for roommates? If not, I'll just start that thread myself.
Also, could anyone throw out some insight as to good placement for renting? I have found some places along the southern reaches of the green line (misson hill, etc). The transit website lists the trip from that part of the city to school as .5 hours one way, but is that really the case when switching to red halfway? That part of town does seem pretty close to a bunch of hospitals, though (I'm thinking volunteering and general employment). As with most, a good mix of distance and price is highly desirable. Help!
Green line is awful - definitely worth finding a place on the red line. The hospitals are very segmented, pretty much longwood vs. MGH. I'd worry about getting to school over anywhere else.

Hi all,

I've noticed a lot of people mentioning courses they're taking other than the core BCP (such as genetics, immuno, etc.). I haven't had a single college-level science course, and I'll be coming in with a high ugrad GPA, so just the basics should be enough of a credit load to get me to the level necessary for sponsorship. Do most people in the program take 1+ extra/upper-div courses? Will it "look bad" to the committee/med schools if I don't go beyond the bare-bones prereqs? Will I even be able to get sponsorship if I don't? (It's not that I lack interest in non-core courses...but I do lack money and time, and, if I do need more credits, would probably rather take Spanish if that's an option.)

I realize, of course, that doing well in whatever I take is THE most important thing...

Also, I posted another thread in the postbacc forum about calc and sponsorship if any of you want to check it out and give me some advice...

:)

definitely look at renting in allston as well. it's on the green line (B line) and 66 bus line which goes straight into harvard square. i live there now and i'm in the middle of both school and the medical area for my internship (longwood) by taking the bus. it's an easy commute and doesn't take long at all.

definitely look at renting in allston as well. it's on the green line (B line) and 66 bus line which goes straight into harvard square. i live there now and i'm in the middle of both school and the medical area for my internship (longwood) by taking the bus. it's an easy commute and doesn't take long at all.

Hey thanks, guys. This relocation is going to be a bear, for sure. Anyone found substantive clinical work (paid) in the city? That'll be the next piece, I suppose.

:idea:

If you plan ahead, you'll definitely have a much better selection of places. I know of a few people (including myself) who pay between $450-550 in good locations. You generally get what you pay for (my place is $450 & a 5 min. walk to campus, but is tiny & old), but there are definitely deals to be had early in the process. I just met someone who lives w/ 3 friends in a 2 floor house that's about 2 miles from campus for $500 apiece. It's a really nice house - I'd say less than 10 years old and pretty big. Shop around and DEFINITELY try to find roommates. There are a ton of grad students looking to fill rooms, as long as you find some that you won't kill or sleep with - you're all set. If you're doing everything right (classes, volunteering/working, etc.) you won't be home too terribly much. :)

I would advise you to do summer Chemistry. Greg Tucci is a great lecturer, there is a huge amount of tutorial time to really get you up to speed...That said, the time together really gives you a chance to get to know your fellow students, which is a really good opportunity. Greg makes an effort to combine all post-bacc students into one or two tutorial groups, so the people that you get to know during the summer will be the ones that you go through the other courses with, throughout the year. You have ready-made support and study groups for every subsequent course, thanks to the summer course. It's genuinely helpful. :)

I am debating whether to do chemistry at Harvard or Cornell this summer. Cornell's course is excellent, under 10 students take it, but it's $7000 (though my cost of living would be next to nothing so the price differential isn't that great). It would be nice to get to know people before starting fall HES courses plus great things have been said about Tucci on this thread. Could someone tell me how many students take Harvard's summer gen chem and how difficult and competitive it is? Thanks!

The orgo kids have an exam tomorrow night - so if there are any summer gen chem folks they may take a while to respond.

I'll chime in that I've had tucci this year for gen chem and he's a very good prof. The summer classes are relatively competitive - you have a mix of Harvard undergrads, extension students, and high school students. The pace is very fast, but the depth of material is (IMO) the same as the normal year. Their exams are very similar to what we see during the year. If I had to venture a guess, I'd put summer gen chem @ ~250 students.

Basic rule in Tucci's class is that, aside from the final, his exams are VERY fair. I know lots of people that averaged in the high 90's and multiple people who got a 100 on one of the 3 exams. The finals are notorious for being difficult, so build up all the points you can leading into it.

Hey thanks, guys. This relocation is going to be a bear, for sure. Anyone found substantive clinical work (paid) in the city? That'll be the next piece, I suppose.

:idea:

Depends a lot on experience. I know people w/ very good clinical jobs - but they generally have either good experience or relevant degrees. I wouldn't bank on it otherwise. It took me months of sending out countless copies of my CV to find a research position - and I only got it b/c I have a math degree and they needed a mathematician in the study. If you're in my boat, just leverage (I know, corporate word - I hate it too) whatever skills you have as getting a foot in the door.

The sucky part is that there are a ton of recent Harvard/BU/BC/Tufts biology undergrads that need lab work at the RA level before going to grad school. They are most often MUCH more useful & much better candidates than us non-trads.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd put summer gen chem @ ~250 students.

Actually, this summer was about 90 students... 1/3 high school students, 1/3 Harvard undergrad, 1/3 extension.

The course is not directly competitive... There is no curve for results; if you study and cover the material, you will be able to get a good percentage on each exam, and a good final grade.

Wow - only 90? Thanks for the reply - is orgo the same size?

Thanks for the responses about summer gen chem.

I heard a rumor through a friend who has friends in the HES classes that HES physics is a real bear. Physics is definitely the most intimidating science course for me. Anyone care to share their opinion?

Thanks for the responses about summer gen chem.

I heard a rumor through a friend who has friends in the HES classes that HES physics is a real bear. Physics is definitely the most intimidating science course for me. Anyone care to share their opinion?

Thats true this year because the regular professor is on sabbatical. Take Physics next year when he's back, not over the summer.

I am visiting Boston this weekend through Monday. Are there any classes/recitations either over the weekend or Monday that I could possibly sit in on?

Hi. I'm sorry if this is already in this thread, but I didn't see it, so thought I would ask you guys... Do you reccommend any review or prep (on your own) before beginning the HES classes? I will most likely start with Gen Chem this summer. Thanks so much!

I know this has probably been written about somewhere, but I want to get an updated opinion:

I am doing HES starting in Fall 2007, but this summer, I will be taking Gen Chem 1&2 in NYC. I want to do the intensive program at HES to get it over with. So my plan is to do:

Summer- Chem 1,2 in NYC
Fall- Orgo 1,2 intensive and Bio 1,2 intensive
Spring- Physics 1,2 intensive, MCAT class
April MCAT
Submit Apps in June

Is this even possible? I know people who say they have done it, but I just want to make sure. I will most def not be working at the same time, in order to do schoolwork full-time. Also, does anyone know how early decision to med school works and if I could do that and matriculate in Fall 2008 rather than waiting the lag year?

I know this has probably been written about somewhere, but I want to get an updated opinion:

I am doing HES starting in Fall 2007, but this summer, I will be taking Gen Chem 1&2 in NYC. I want to do the intensive program at HES to get it over with. So my plan is to do:

Summer- Chem 1,2 in NYC
April MCAT
Submit Apps in June

Is this even possible? I know people who say they have done it, but I just want to make sure. I will most def not be working at the same time, in order to do schoolwork full-time. Also, does anyone know how early decision to med school works and if I could do that and matriculate in Fall 2008 rather than waiting the lag year?

A few comments....

1) It seems that you are suggesting that you want to take both semesters of orgo and both semesters of bio in the fall semester. At HES and most other schools, the first semester of a course is only taught in the fall, and the second semester of the course is taught only in the spring. There may be exceptions to this rule, but HES is not one of them. So, that part of your plan is shot. You could, I suppose, take the first semester of orgo, bio, and physics all in the fall, and then the second semesters of each all in the spring to keep with your timeline, but you should realize that even without working, this will be a demanding schedule with labs, discussion sections, etc for all three classes.

2) Your priority should be "doing well in your classes" not "getting it over with". Your grades in your pre-reqs will be one of the major factors that adcoms will use to separate the wheat from the chaff. So rushing through these classes at the expense of your grades will not be worth the time saved in the long run.

3) As someone who has applied early decision to a medical school, I would highly advise you against doing so. It doesn't eliminate the lag year. I think you might actually be thinking about post-bac programs that have a linkage to a med school which allow you to matriculate into that fall's class after completing your post-bac courses and taking the MCAT, thus skipping the lag year. HES does not have those linkages. Early decision is when you apply in June to a single medical school. You usually interview in early fall, and receive word of your status by Oct 1st. The "word" that you receive is either 1) you've been accepted, in which case you are contractually bound to attend that school; 2) you're deferred to the regular applicant pool (they will look at your app again after they've looked at the regular applicants); or 3) you're rejected. In the cases of 2 & 3, you can only apply to other schools after the Oct 1st notification, making your application to those other schools considerably late in the application cycle (a disadvantage if your stats aren't spectacular).

My advice - take your time with the prereqs, make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew with classes, get good grades, and apply broadly via regular admission.

I am visiting Boston this weekend through Monday. Are there any classes/recitations either over the weekend or Monday that I could possibly sit in on?

No we're on spring break this week.

Hi. I'm sorry if this is already in this thread, but I didn't see it, so thought I would ask you guys... Do you reccommend any review or prep (on your own) before beginning the HES classes? I will most likely start with Gen Chem this summer. Thanks so much!

Yes, review your math, specifically trig, algebra, etc. if you're going to be taking Gchem or Physics.

It's not exactly about HES, but I think it's related enough. This summer, my schedule (and other rea$ons) will not allow me to take classes at Harvard Summer School. So I was trying to decide where else could I take some helpful classes, such as physiology or genetics . So far the most appropriate (in terms of schedule and costs) seems to be Northeastern. Has anybody in here taken a class there, or somewhere else in this area? Any suggestion/feedback?

Thanks

My advice - take your time with the prereqs, make sure you're not biting off more than you can chew with classes, get good grades, and apply broadly via regular admission.

She's good. Listen.

It's not exactly about HES, but I think it's related enough. This summer, my schedule (and other rea$ons) will not allow me to take classes at Harvard Summer School. So I was trying to decide where else could I take some helpful classes, such as physiology or genetics . So far the most appropriate (in terms of schedule and costs) seems to be Northeastern. Has anybody in here taken a class there, or somewhere else in this area? Any suggestion/feedback?

Thanks

I was advised to not take classes there, because they are a joke. However, if you're just taking genetics, etc. (non-required courses) why not get the easy A. Just don't take pre-reqs there, I've heard you really do not learn much from people who have then classes there.

Hi,
I took physics, orgo, and neurobiology and earned a B, B-, and B, respectively. This semester I'm taking physics II, orgo II, and human physiology II. I've pretty much cemented myself into a B for orgo II, but there's hope for As in the other two courses. I'm planning to spend the entire summer preparing for the MCAT, take some electives next fall, and apply very early next year for '09 enrollment. Do I still have a chance of getting into medical school?

Thanks

Is there any disadvantage of taking Gen Chem at Columbia and then finishing all my premeds at HES in terms of the way med schools evaluate?

And thanks for all of your other advice. I didn't mean to seem like I want to rush haphazardly though the program. I am just interested in delving into this full-time, getting the grades, and successfully completing all my pre-reqs. All of you seem to have wonderful advice, and I appreciate it a lot!

Is there any disadvantage of taking Gen Chem at Columbia and then finishing all my premeds at HES in terms of the way med schools evaluate?

I'm not sure I can comment on how medical schools will preceive your taking classes at different institutions, however if you do well there should be no red flags in doing so. Both programs are reputable, so unless you were taking them at a community college I don't see why you should worry.

So my plan is to do:

Summer- Chem 1,2 in NYC
April MCAT
Submit Apps in June

It's possible, it just really, really sucks. I wish I had taken gen chem last summer - def. the way to go. I am doing gen chem/physics/bio together then orgo this summer - June MCAT. My experiences have taught me:

1) It sucks. Bio is an ASSLOAD of work if you have never had bio before. It's a very difficult class and it's tough to get an A. That being said, if you get an A, it will make the bio on the MCAT seem incredibly easy. From everyone I've spoken with, including Harvard undergrads and current med students, I have seen no evidence that any bio class prepares you for the MCAT like Dr. Fixsen's.

2) You have to sometimes make really bad choices. I'm not talking about, "Should I go out and be fun or study?" It's more like, "Should I skimp on my chem problem set so I can actually read before bio lecture?"

3) Highly consider the other things you'll be doing. If you want to take an MCAT class, I can tell you right now the only one that'll fit your schedule - Sat/Sun 10am-5pm, every week from March 3rd to June 15th. While on the topic, take the June exam - you get scores in July and you get a full month off after classes (& before summer classes) to study. You'll also probably have to either work PT or volunteer - there's that whole "having a life" thing some people try.

Don't do early decision - it's different than undergrad ED. It's for more qualified applicants who just want to get it over with early and know what school they want to go to.

Dr. Fixsen told me something that really rang true for me. This is a long, LONG process. Don't make yourself suffer just to save time - these are some of the best years of your life. Do it the way you want to do it and have fun - you will end up a much better candidate. I crammed it into a year because I enjoy things being a little hectic all the time.

The saving a year thing is tough - trust me. I just got into graduate school for my glide year and very well may be "saving a year". It requires a ton of work and, without question, a decent amount of luck. If I could choose to start over, I'd do everything the same way. I know 3 other people on the same tract (I know there are more out there) - it depends on a lot of factors. I have a bad undergrad GPA and no previous healthcare experience - so I couldn't afford B's and had to spend time sending out CV's to every lab in the state of Mass. My biggest advice is two things: think long and hard about your work load outside of classes and take advantage of the support structure your fellow classmates will provide. When you get the flu and can't put a sentence together, they're the ones that are going to save your physics grade by explaining electromagnetics to you.

If you decide to do it, best of luck and I hope you do well.

While I have the chance to keep avoiding the MCAT books next to me, to all the future HES people: Take advantage of the opportunities this program gives you - you will get out of it what you put in. Today I struck up a conversation in line waiting for coffee with someone who ended up being a professor @ Harvard Medical and is now letting me shadow him (and a LOR hehe). There are more research labs here than there are buildings to house them - and they all need someone to make copies and fix their coffee. :) Classes are cheap and taught by some fantastic faculty (except for physics, which is only cheap). Degree candidates get all the benefits of being a Harvard undergrad - except we get free printing and they don't. Take advantage and enjoy - this is a very special place.

I'm not sure I can comment on how medical schools will preceive your taking classes at different institutions, however if you do well there should be no red flags in doing so. Both programs are reputable, so unless you were taking them at a community college I don't see why you should worry.

General rule is it only is an issue if it looks suspicious. Obviously the next question is "what the hell is suspicious about changing schools?" Try to avoid bouncing around multiple schools - don't do poorly in a semester & just transfer. I don't see any reason to worry - I just wouldn't split my pre-reqs across more than 2 schools.

This is coming from a guy that's going to be sending 4 or 5 transcripts from different places to the AAMC - hence the reason I've asked about this.

Hey Maxprime,

Congratulation on your acceptance. BTW, which grad program of where did you get into?

MS in Neuroscience (Neuropharm concentration) @ my state medical school - it's their version of the SMP. I'm going from Bio e1b this semester to Neuroanatomy this fall - yikes! I may take the full 2 years of the program - got into a fantastic lab doing research in a neuro field very close to my heart. It's more of a traditional master's that's made to feed their med school - hopefully it will make me hate reaserach so I can get away from the crazy idea of staying there for my MD/PhD. :)

I applied to all the regular SMP's, but have had a nightmare w/ letters of rec like you wouldn't believe - plus I have not MCAT (only GRE) so this was the perfect option for me. I already told them I'll see them in fall. The only problem? Last day of summer classes here is August 17th, I'm supposed to report to my lab on the 16th - come on early orgo final! :)

Has any of you taken it with Alain Viel during Summer?
If yes, how hard/good/useful is the class?

Thanks

I am going to take the advice of people on this discussion board and split the courses over two years instead of rushing the process and suffering. I will take gen chem this summer and then bio and orgo over the first fall and spring (physics, upper-level bio the second year). Should I take a 3rd class along with bio and orgo this fall? Even if I'm volunteering, doesn't it look bad not to have a full course load? I was thinking about the global health issues class.

Any advice?

Where do most HES folks get together for study groups, etc since the access to libraries is limited? Is it worth paying the extra $ for the diploma program to have access to more facilities?

I'm considering coming to HES, and if I do, I'll have completed Gen Chem before arriving, leaving Physics, O-Chem, and Bio. Assuming an equivalent aptitude for each of these and assuming a maximum course load of two classes at a time, is any one of the following combinations preferable to the others: Physics/O-Chem; Bio/O-Chem; or Physics/Bio.

Where do most HES folks get together for study groups, etc since the access to libraries is limited? Is it worth paying the extra $ for the diploma program to have access to more facilities?

You access to libraries is not limited, at least not in the libraries on the science center campus. All you need if you don't have an ID is your registration. That being said, most people use the Cabot science center library or the Widener library as they are both close to the science center.

I’m considering coming to HES, and if I do, I’ll have completed Gen Chem before arriving, leaving Physics, O-Chem, and Bio. Assuming an equivalent aptitude for each of these and assuming a maximum course load of two classes at a time, is any one of the following combinations preferable to the others: Physics/O-Chem; Bio/O-Chem; or Physics/Bio.

Traditionally students have taken Physics and Chemistry, Bio and Ochem in that order. I believe the program is set up so that none of the class times conflict for any of those combinations. I would prefer bio and Ochem in the same semester just because that is the way the information is presented on the MCAT and the way the classes are taught here, both are interelated.