Official: Harvard 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn't know you were alive, let alone still in the program!

:D

Hahaha..I know. Even more proof of my non-existent social life. So how have you been stranger?! We need to have a little get together one of these days/evenings...It's been forever!

Members don't see this ad.

Question... when did people forget to use cell phones? technology people!

Question... when did people forget to use cell phones? technology people!

I was going to answer, but I see your screen name already took the words right out of my mouth.

Good luck on finals!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember if anyone answered it but the yo-yo comes towards the direction of the force. I can't remember if that is right or left. for Phys, obviously. I think it is BS that Newburgh can change the grading scale for the year he is teaching the class. I don't know what kind of SNAFU occurred in which he was actually allowed to teach the class.

I am almost positive that it was "towards the right" (in the dir. of the force). I really wish we didn't have Ron - he'll be gone after this year anyways.

We did have pretty much the same exams though. I stopped going to lecture, so it was like I took the class from Ruckener (sp?). I think I'll suffer through lecture in Spring only because I'm betting the material becomes less intuitive.

For the record, I don't believe he changed the grading scale - same as it was last year. This year the students have a heightened sense of entitlement for some reason - could be the unseasonably warm weather (until yesterday, minus 6? COME ON).

I might be wrong about the grading scale. I am just going off of information from several classmates who took the class last year. I am unfortunately going to be done next year... just like ronny boy. I do agree that a lot of students feel entitled, but I did very well in the class and judging from statistics (exam scores, HW, labs of all of the students), I think I would have an A- with the current scheme but I definitely think I deserve an A! haha. I never skipped a lecture and I almost kind of regret that I didn't!!! most of them were pathetic!

I don't know anything about a curve and I don't want to get hopes up, but I think the class is at least 50/50 for an across-the-board bump of a few points (max 5 IMO). The average on final was something like 69 - would like to see what the distribution was like. I know people that were doing very well in the class and bombed the final and people doing very well in the class that did very well on the final - so who knows.

I did talk to someone who claimed to have Ron in high school as a professor and said that he does not curve (or didn't then) - so I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't curve.

How about bio!? Ouch. I thought I was extremely prepared - knocked down a 191 on the 2005 final about 2 hours before tipoff and left the exam feeling like I got kicked directly in the balls. I don't know if we can talk about individual questions yet - but wow.

I don't know if we can talk about individual questions yet - but wow.

The reason I made the comment earlier about not making this a "physics" or "bio" discussion thread is just for that reason. We really should not be discussing exam questions here period. The purpose of these threads, as they have been in the past, are to give insight into the program for future applicants, not to vent on any perticular class, exam, instructor, etc. Owen Peterson has been known to frequent our threads (simply search older HES threads to see his comments to past students) so please be careful regarding what you say about certain classes, professors, classmates, etc.

Good luck everyone.

Bio was pretty rough! I only got one wrong on the lab practical though, so hopefully that will boost my grade?

I think it is doing prospective students a great service by discussing our current and past classes on this thread! Where else would they get the real inside scoop on the HES program? Of course I probably should stop bashing Newburgh, obviously a brilliant guy and seems nice enough but my learning style seems to clash with his teaching style.

I'm pretty sure HES has a policy that no one can take finals late - no worries.

We're meeting up @ John Harvard's as people finish chem finals tonight - errryone's invited. We'll probably leave around 9:30ish to someplace less crowded. You'll notice a big group of drunken dorks yelling at someone to stop discussing the exam.

I'm pretty sure HES has a policy that no one can take finals late - no worries.

Actually last year we waited 4-5 weeks to get the answers to the final exam in physics because someone had an excused absence approved by HES to take the final several weeks later. Thats why they say not to discuss. Nonetheless, have fun tonight, I'm packing for the Caribbean baby!

Gotcha - no specific questions then. Packing for an MD program or a vacation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck everyone on their grades and finals for this semester! Will you guys be around next semester? If so, good luck!

Here until the bitter end (end of summer). For most classes, I would try emailing my TF/prof as they seem to be willing to give out unofficial grades so we don't have to wait so long.

We get to dissect a calf heart in bio this semester! :)

Yeah I emailed them but there seemed to be some discrepancies? (sp). Bio will definitely be a bit more interesting this semester! Are you taking O-Chem in the summer?

Yeah - I think doing phsyio (bio II) is going to be awesome. Going in, I never thought I'd enjoy the molecular level and ended up liking it. So I think I'm really going to enjoy the second semester.

Yup - o-chem in the summer - should be quite fun. Everyone I talk to always says how easy orgo really is and that gen chem was so much worse - it really makes me want to take biochem over the summer w/ orgo but they have an 8 hour limit for summer sessions - sucks big time.

I have the GRE @ noon today (eek!) - has anyone been to the prometric testing center in Boston yet? Is the best way to get there walking from South Station?

Yup - o-chem in the summer - should be quite fun. Everyone I talk to always says how easy orgo really is and that gen chem was so much worse - it really makes me want to take biochem over the summer w/ orgo but they have an 8 hour limit for summer sessions - sucks big time.
Station?

I've been told that summer organic is harder than summer general chemistry by quite a bit... People found it a bit rough this summer. You really, really don't want to take it with anything else at all. A lot of people were asking after the first exam, what they could do to improve their performance, most often they needed to make a choice between working and giving the course and doing the course exclusively. If you work hard, you will get rewarded, but it really will consume all of your time...

No question - can't imagine working & doing summer orgo. I get different opinions from different folks as to the actual workload - I guess we'll see. I can't take anything else so it's not much of a concern. Most people warn me that my life will only be school, but I'm already down to that so I don't see the problem.

Isn't it a year's worth of class in 8 or 9 weeks?

How could you possibly work and succeed in a class like that? If you can, than you are a better man than I.

Last time it was seven weeks, not counting finals. If high school kids can do it, why can't you?

Because highschool kids don't work 40 hours/week. Don't get me wrong, I could do it working full time, I just wouldn't do as well as I would like gradewise.

I took Orgo at Harvard this past summer. The weekly schedule is:

-5 2 hour lectures
-1 1 hour exam
-4 1.5 hour problem sessions
-2 5 hour labs
-1 2 hour review session
------
29 hours / week in class. The rest of the week is spent reviewing notes to prepare for the daily quiz and doing purple book problems. I didn't do well in the beginning of the course, but ended up doing pretty well in the class because I started working harder. By week 4, I was doing Orgo from 8:30 AM to midnight Monday thru Thursday and 8:30 - 4 PM on Friday. I took Friday nights off, but studied all day Saturday and Sunday for the Monday exam. Other peoples' experiences were very similar to mine. Its really not possible to work 40 hours a week.

Because highschool kids don't work 40 hours/week. Don't get me wrong, I could do it working full time, I just wouldn't do as well as I would like gradewise.

ncb is correct, it would be downright impossible to work 40hr/week and do summer orgo. It meets during the morning-afternoon and unless your working night shifts, you still won't have any time to study.

Oops, misread the question. Yep, summer orgo by itself would be manageable, but that plus a full-time job would just be crazy. Well, maybe if you found a cushy night job guarding an entrance or something that let you sit and do homework 35 hrs/week.

How hard is it to be accepted into the extension program? I just sent an application in and there werent any criteris, per say, on the application page.
I have a 3.0 GPA and will graduate in a couple of months with a B.S. in Chemical Eng btw (from UCLA)

we seriously need an FAQ regarding HES.

Why don't you stop trying to bite off more than you can chew; obviously you don't have free time since you don't like to return PM's, voicemails or emails..:smuggrin:

Would I need to repeat any Med school reqs that I made a C in? If so, would it be okay to take 2 pre-reqs and two medical sciences classes?

Would I need to repeat any Med school reqs that I made a C in?

Yes, the current rule of thumb is to re-take any pre-req in which you earn a grade lower than a B.

If so, would it be okay to take 2 pre-reqs and two medical sciences classes?

Not sure what you mean by "medical sciences classes," however taking 4 classes at once, depending on your situation, may be tough especially if you are trying to make up for sub-par grades in other classes.

I'd suggest simply re-taking the classes you got the C's in and then concentrate on raising your GPA with other classes if necessary.

Sorry, I was talking about advances science classes. Would it be okay to take two pre-req with two of the advance science classes?

Sorry, I was talking about advances science classes. Would it be okay to take two pre-req with two of the advance science classes?

I would not, you would be lucky to find 4 science classes that do not conflict in schedule. Even if you did somehow work it out, the two science pre-req classes would be more than enough work. Four classes is just not possible.

Even if you did somehow work it out, the two science pre-req classes would be more than enough work. Four classes is just not possible.

Heh. It is possible to deal with four classes, but if you're trying to make up a C in a past course, don't do it. Spend the extra time and concentrate on the courses that you need to sort out. It will help your conceptual understanding a great deal and ensure a good grade, which you need. Do your two courses.

If you want to do two other courses, consider the Harvard Summer School. People regularly take Biochem and Genetics during the summer (I think the timetable works out); other courses are also available. The tuition fees are substantially more, but worth it.

Remember: It's better to have a lighter course load and get an A than a heavier one and get B's or C's and have to retake. You waste money, lose a semester (and potentially a year, if it bumps you out of the application cycle) and you might give the impression to admissions officers that your eventual good grade was a fluke rather than skill, and that you have a hard time learning. Don't risk it! :)

Heh. It is possible to deal with four classes, but if you're trying to make up a C in a past course, don't do it. Spend the extra time and concentrate on the courses that you need to sort out. It will help your conceptual understanding a great deal and ensure a good grade, which you need. Do your two courses.

If you want to do two other courses, consider the Harvard Summer School. People regularly take Biochem and Genetics during the summer (I think the timetable works out); other courses are also available. The tuition fees are substantially more, but worth it.

Remember: It's better to have a lighter course load and get an A than a heavier one and get B's or C's and have to retake. You waste money, lose a semester (and potentially a year, if it bumps you out of the application cycle) and you might give the impression to admissions officers that your eventual good grade was a fluke rather than skill, and that you have a hard time learning. Don't risk it! :)

Thanks for the echo.

I would not, you would be lucky to find 4 science classes that do not conflict in schedule. Even if you did somehow work it out, the two science pre-req classes would be more than enough work. Four classes is just not possible.

FYI, for any people that want to ruin any chance of a social life this semester - a few people are taking this schedule:
Bio M 5:30-7:30
Physics T 6-9
Bio W 5:30-7:30
Chem Th 6-9
Microbio F 5-7

I just got done w/ my first semester and I echo everyone else's thoughts to take it easy. You don't know how hard the classes are going to be and you can't afford bad grades. A decent number of people drop out of these classes - they're no joke.

I kind of want a social life - by that I mean time on Fridays to study for the MCAT. But, has anyone taken Micro and have anything to say about its difficulty?

How could you possibly take all those classes and still have time to schedule sections/labs? I have Bio/Chem/Phys, and let me tell you that is enough for me.
Anyone who says ah these are just pre-med classes, no problem... Is in for a bit of a surprise

Why repeat the pre-reqs? Doesn't med school like us to take upper level science classes and show we can handle that instead of repeating something we already took? If you had a C and then retook and got a B it would not really help things that much. Maybe I am waaayyyy off base but it is weird to have to retake something when medical school is wanting us to do well in harder science classes.

People debate on retaking courses, but the advisors normally say what was stated here before. I think it's also a worry that you actually need to know the material. If you bombed Physics, you're probably not going to nail that section of the MCAT. Obviously, if you're sitting pretty with a 40 on the MCAT, don't waste your time taking intro classes.

As for the 4 classes? I don't know - I know the lectures map out okay and that Micro doesn't have a lab - so it's schedule-wise the same as 3 classes aside from the lecture. As for workload, I honestly don't know if it's possible. I'm curious to see how they do. I am dropping by the lecture to see if the class seems interesting, but doubt I'll end up taking it.

Why repeat the pre-reqs? Doesn't med school like us to take upper level science classes and show we can handle that instead of repeating something we already took? If you had a C and then retook and got a B it would not really help things that much. Maybe I am waaayyyy off base but it is weird to have to retake something when medical school is wanting us to do well in harder science classes.

1. Upper level sciences are not required, the 4 pre-reqs are. It is more important to do well in those courses than upper level courses. You are right, you are not aiming for B's if you are retaking a course, you are aiming for an A! However, if you already have a B in a course, most advisors will tell you that you should not re-take such a class. Again, this is not only my own opinion, but also the opinion of the medical school admissions committee members that visited the school last year.

2. Its a bit ambitious to think that if you did not do well in say in general biology or chemistry, that you would suddenly do well in any upper level science courses, which are essentially whole courses that delve into more complex aspect of basic biology and chemistry (immunology, physiology, genetics, molecular cell biology, micro, etc.)

I took all of my master's degree credits in upper level biology courses and if I had not been sucessful in undergraduate level courses I don't think I would have done as well. That's just my $.03 but I think its worth it.

For all those at HES, did most of you apply to several post-baccs and then choose HES? I sent out 7-8 apps a couple days ago and was wondering how competitive HES is since there isnt a FAQ on their webpage, they just say that they recquire a degree (I will have a BS in CHem eng by summer).

Thanks!

For all those at HES, did most of you apply to several post-baccs and then choose HES? I sent out 7-8 apps a couple days ago and was wondering how competitive HES is since there isnt a FAQ on their webpage, they just say that they recquire a degree (I will have a BS in CHem eng by summer).

Thanks!

I only applied to a few, since I didn't want to re-take the GRE. How competative is to subjective a question. The real answer lies in your GPA.

I just got accepted to HES. I was wondering:

1) What's the best way to split up classes? I need to take all 4 (bio, chem, orgo, & physics) and will start Sept. 2007.

2) Are the labs a separate time slot and do they cost extra or does the $850 cover the whole semester?

Thanks!

Thanks!

I have to admit, I applied to three others and kept Harvard as my "safety school". Since I wasn't super-early applying and there was a huge glut of post-baccs starting this year, that's where I ended up. On days like today (brrr! :scared:) you can see why I wasn't keen on staying in Boston. But I'm totally glad I did!

By competitive, do you mean, how hard is getting into HES, or how good are your chances applying from HES into med school? Remember, the HES basic pre-med classes are (at least for now) open enrollment, with no one even checking your prerequisites, so that's as non-competitive as you can get. You can also apply to their Health Careers Program, to get official sponsorship and letters of recommendation, but from what I hear they take pretty much anyone with a good academic record, and some conditionally with not-so-great records.

1) What's the best way to split up classes? I need to take all 4 (bio, chem, orgo, & physics) and will start Sept. 2007.

2) Are the labs a separate time slot and do they cost extra or does the $850 cover the whole semester?

Thanks!

1) You will need chem to fully prepare for bio & orgo, so, assuming you're doing two years, do chem & physics the first year and then bio & orgo the second year.

2) Labs are included in the course. Except for bio, they are a different time from the lecture, as are the discussion sections and reviews. You get to pick which lab slot you want during the first few weeks of class.

Hmm....

I have to admit, I applied to three others and kept Harvard as my "safety school". Since I wasn't super-early applying and there was a huge glut of post-baccs starting this year, that's where I ended up. On days like today (brrr! :scared:) you can see why I wasn't keen on staying in Boston. But I'm totally glad I did!

By competitive, do you mean, how hard is getting into HES, or how good are your chances applying from HES into med school? Remember, the HES basic pre-med classes are (at least for now) open enrollment, with no one even checking your prerequisites, so that's as non-competitive as you can get. You can also apply to their Health Careers Program, to get official sponsorship and letters of recommendation, but from what I hear they take pretty much anyone with a good academic record, and some conditionally with not-so-great records.

This is what I meant

I wil graduate from UCLA with a 3.0 w/ a BS in engineering (senior year GPA is a 3.4 as of now). Is that good enough to be considered for sponsership?

Yes - check the website for specifics on how many hours you need & MCAT score to match your GPA for sponsorship.

Thanks!

Another alternative to the schedules that people have posted here so far, is what I and a number of others have done this year:

Harvard Summer School:
General Chemistry I & II

Harvard Extension Autumn:
Physics I
Organic Chemistry I
Biology I

Harvard Extension Spring:
Physics II
Organic Chemistry II
Biology II

If you don't feel like you should be able to ace it, you probably shouldn't do it, but it can cut down your post-bacc career to one year, instead of two. The Summer School does cost lots of money, though... $4500. The lecturer is the same as the Extension School evening classes, and he's great... It's a really good course.

By the way, are you actually from the UK?

I'm not sure how crazy the workload is at HES but is it possible to take 3 classes a semester: physics, g-chem, and 1 upper div. bio class along with job/research part time (15-20 hours). I got C's in physics and g chem so I want to retake them, at least it won't be the first time I see the material. Would this be considered a heavy schedule??

Also, is there any bio classes anyone would suggest to a newbie at HES?

Thanks guys!!