Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-----> i'm so RELIEVED... more relieved than being stuck in rush hour traffic over the bay bridge and having to pee so badly but the seatbelt is tight right over your bladder and then having to hold it for 20 more minutes before you can run into the house to relieve yourself!!<----

:laugh: Don't live in VA...the Memorial Bridge is pretty bad :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Memorial Bridge? To get to GU from VA the most direct way is using the Key Bridge, and the cheapest way to do this is on the free GUTS Bus from Rosslyn Metro Station. The trip isnt that bad, and the big plus is you arent driving it. A lot of SMPers live in VA, having to go over the bridge is not a big deterrent.

Touchdown said:
Memorial Bridge? To get to GU from VA the most direct way is using the Key Bridge, and the cheapest way to do this is on the free GUTS Bus from Rosslyn Metro Station. The trip isnt that bad, and the big plus is you arent driving it. A lot of SMPers live in VA, having to go over the bridge is not a big deterrent.

Yes, you are right. I am not sure what I was thinking. Thanks for the reminder of why I should never be allowed in DC. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering how many people apply to the Georgetown SMP program and how many are accepted. And I am currently applying with a 3.24 GPA and a 30 MCAT score, what do you think my chances are? (I don't want to post on the SMP message forum unless I have to) Thanks.

HouseIsMyHero, Im a current SMPer and my scores were very similar (3.2 and 32 MCAT) you are very competitive.

i received the email today - accepted to georgetown's smp program. still waiting to hear from drexel and umdnj, but this is clearly the superior program of the three.

i am also still sitting on two med school waitlists (umdnj and albany,) and though i would rather be going to medical school next year, i'm glad i have a backup plan in place. so to all of you on this thread, maybe i'll see you guys down in d.c. in a few months.

zahque said:
i received the email today - accepted to georgetown's smp program. still waiting to hear from drexel and umdnj, but this is clearly the superior program of the three.

i am also still sitting on two med school waitlists (umdnj and albany,) and though i would rather be going to medical school next year, i'm glad i have a backup plan in place. so to all of you on this thread, maybe i'll see you guys down in d.c. in a few months.

oh, and let me add a few informative things for anyone curious. i'm 24, did 5 years at penn state, took a year off to apply to med schools, and will be reapplying to schools starting this june (so, applying as i start the smp program.) i have a 3.3 gpa from penn state (including an ugly 2.9 science gpa) and a 34l mcat.

Somewhat vain and unimportant, but Im just curious: do any current SMP'ers or former know what the SMP masters is in exactly? What are we getting a masters in? Special-ness? When I received my hard-copy acceptance, it said I was accepted to the program for an M.S. Physiology and Biophysics. Is this what our degree will be in technically?

Yes, the pretty piece of paper to impress your patients with for years to come will say an MS in Physiology and Biophysics ;).

Here's a question for current SMPers.

Are there any opportunities for either clinical experience or good volunteering experience (that is to say in the medical field where I can actually participate/help)? And does Georgetown have a program or have advisers that can work with you to help search out these opportunities? I understand the commitment that SMP takes, but I also know that a strong SMP grade alone won't make me competitive at my particular state school.

HouseIsMyHero, the SMP is a huge commitment, in addition to 3-4 hrs of class a day you need an average of 5 hours of studying. You do not have anytime for some meaningful clinical experience, allthough there are one day comitments and a high school weekly tutoring volleteering options. Your best bet is to do some clincal experiences over the summer.

While we would all love to go to our state school, your likely not going to get into yours unless you were on the bubble last year or your from a state near the DC region (VA, PA, NY most prominatly) you will have much better luck getting into a private school. Personally Im from Wisconsin, got rejected post secondary at MCW and post interview at UW (same result as last year,) last year I got one interview at a private/state school that isnt mine and this year got 4 (and I still have 7 Im waiting to hear from.) I wish I could be more positive about that, but I cant sorry.

HouseIsMyHero said:

Are there any opportunities for either clinical experience or good volunteering experience (that is to say in the medical field where I can actually participate/help)? And does Georgetown have a program or have advisers that can work with you to help search out these opportunities? I understand the commitment that SMP takes, but I also know that a strong SMP grade alone won't make me competitive at my particular state school.

Well, I'm sure there are a lot of volunteer opportunities available here, but the SMP directors told us over and over again to concentrate on our coursework, and NOT to do very many outside activities.

However, the secretary of the SMP, Ms. Cabiness, does run a volunteer tutoring program for disadvantaged D.C. kids. The kids come here to Georgetown, and we tutor them once a week on Thursdays (except if there's an exam the next day).

HouseIsMyHero said:

it depends on your study habits and how you use your time, but there certainly can be plenty of time for you to volunteer and at many possible places. during our second semester, i volunteered one day a week, for four hours, at the virginia hospital center, which is right in arlington. it was a 10-15 minute drive for me, from my house in georgetown. i was lacking in clinical experience, and that helped me a lot.

and, for the person who asked about the degree, my official transcript says Master of Science: Physiology. the actually diploma doesn't list the major, it just says master of science and a bunch of other stuff, all in latin. georgetown's crazy like that. it's a gigantic diploma too, a lot bigger than my bachelors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there housing available at Georgetown?

i decided i want to add another thought here, as a former physio.

the program directors will strongly recommend things to your class - apply to med school during the physio year, don't spend your study time volunteering, study at least 5 hours a day and more on the weekends, etc. a lot of people, from what i've seen, take these pieces of advice as direct orders. this advice that they give you comes from their years of experiences and is based on how they know the typical physio students to be. however, it's general advice and not everyone HAS to follow it. if you find that you can be successful with studying only 2 hours a day, by all means, do that. if you find that you have a few hours of free time in the afternoons and want to involve yourself in something, go ahead and volunteer - DC's full of opportunities.

i'm not trying to tell you guys to rebel against the physio directors or anything. they certainly gave me a ton of valuable help and advice. just don't be afraid or hesitant to go against any of their advice if you feel it's in your best interest.

DrHuang said:
nope, gonna hafta find your own housing

Any ideas on best way to do that? Craigslist? Any of you old SMP'ers leaving an apt. that us future SMP'ers might want?

Tommyk7, none of us know if we are vacating our apartments yet (Georgetown hasnt intervied any of us, that will happen later this month) but, and I know this is not the answer you want to hear, the best way to shop for an appartment is to take a week and come down here, pick up the Apartment Showcase book (free on street corners) phone around and set up interviews. When it comes to areas theres three genereal parts you should look at: Georgetown, DC not near Georgetown, and Virginia. If you want to be close to the school, then Georgetown is what you want; allthough the cost of rent will be attrocious, and your apartment will be old, small and likely a basement and you will not be near a Metro stop. If you want to still be in the city but dont mind being further out from the campus, Dupont Circle is the place you want to be because a free shuttle to campus orgiinates at the Dupont Circle Metro, your rent will still be pretty bad but your apartment will be better and wont be a basement. If you want a car, or a bigger apartment for that matter, Virginia is where you need to be, Rosslyn is the best place since it is also an orgin point for a free shuttle to campus, but if you can find a place in Arlington county that is within walking distance to the Metro, youll be fine; the big negative here is of course the commute you will have, but I choose this option and have been happy with it (allthough my apartment was a little too nice and I had to cut other aspects of my budget to afford rent.)

The key to finding an appartment is to come early (May/June) because they fill up fast and if you try to find a place 2 weeks before you have to move in you will have a hard time finding one (trust me.) The major problem with doing this however, is that in order you take the apartment off the market you have to sign the lease that legally binds you to pay rent in DC for a year, which of course is a major problem if you are on a waitlist, my sugguestion then is early July (there will not be much movement during that month, trust me) after talking to your schools to see if you are anywhere near the top of the list.

Hmm. I see... Well, I guess that gives me an excuse to buy a ticket to D.C.! :D
If you do opt to live in the Georgetown area, is it really that hard to have a car? As long as you have a parking spot with your apt. isn't it all gravy?

Street parking in DC is a HUGE headache. Basicly, DC is financed by their traffic violations so they have made getting a street permit a hassle, in Georgetown's zone only cars with DC plates can get a permit, getting that permit and plate will take you at least 2 full days of quality time at the DMV. Then there is the fact that only DC residents can get DC plates so that you have to change your residency (which obviously is going to affect your application to your state schools, not to mention taxes and insurence which your parents wont be able to cover on their plan if you change your residency.) It is really not worth the hassle, everyone I know in the program living in Georgetown misses having a car but are able to function quite well without one.

Personally I wanted a car in order to go grocery shopping in Alexandria (cheaper then Arlington and much cheaper then DC,) go to church, and have the ablity to skip town everyonce in a while (most of the time to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, my guilty pleasure :)) but its by no means a necisisity in DC, home to this country's best public transportation system (which conviently serves DC and all its surounding areas with the exception of Georgetown.)

If you really want a car but want to be close to campus, I strongly suggest Rosslyn. Georgetown is 2 city blocks away from the river and Rosslyn is directly across the river from Georgetown, when the shuttle bus isnt running its a 30 min walk to/20 min walk back (due to a hill) from the Metro stop to the medical campus, which isnt bad at all.

Touchdown said:
Street parking in DC is a HUGE headache. Basicly, DC is financed by their traffic violations so they have made getting a street permit a hassle, in Georgetown's zone only cars with DC plates can get a permit, getting that permit and plate will take you at least 2 full days of quality time at the DMV. Then there is the fact that only DC residents can get DC plates so that you have to change your residency (which obviously is going to affect your application to your state schools, not to mention taxes and insurence which your parents wont be able to cover on their plan if you change your residency.) It is really not worth the hassle, everyone I know in the program living in Georgetown misses having a car but are able to function quite well without one.

Personally I wanted a car in order to go grocery shopping in Alexandria (cheaper then Arlington and much cheaper then DC,) go to church, and have the ablity to skip town everyonce in a while (most of the time to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, my guilty pleasure :)) but its by no means a necisisity in DC, home to this country's best public transportation system (which conviently serves DC and all its surounding areas with the exception of Georgetown.)

If you really want a car but want to be close to campus, I strongly suggest Rosslyn. Georgetown is 2 city blocks away from the river and Rosslyn is directly across the river from Georgetown, when the shuttle bus isnt running its a 30 min walk to/20 min walk back (due to a hill) from the Metro stop to the medical campus, which isnt bad at all.

let me ask a hypothetical: if money is no issue, is it possible to get a decent apartment very close to campus, and at the same time, have a parking space rented out for your car too?

The problem with Georgetown is that it is not only the high society/upper class neighborhood (think 5th Ave, Beacon Hill, etc.) of DC but also the historic district. Allmost every building (and certainly apartment) was built well before the invention of the automobile (which is why there are so many basement apartments) so you have to park on the street. You could easily find a decent apartment, its just going to be at least 5 grand a month to rent.

Touchdown said:
The problem with Georgetown is that it is not only the high society/upper class neighborhood (think 5th Ave, Beacon Hill, etc.) of DC but also the historic district. Allmost every building (and certainly apartment) was built well before the invention of the automobile (which is why there are so many basement apartments) so you have to park on the street. You could easily find a decent apartment, its just going to be at least 5 grand a month to rent.

Um, I'm not sure where you're talking about, because you can rent a whole townhouse to yourself that is less than a ten minute walk door to door for about $3,500-$4,000 per month. And these almost always come with at least one parking space in the rear. In fact, the townhouse next door to me is for rent right now and has a parking space.

As for an apartment, there are definitely a few above ground apartments that are within walking distance (like on 38th, 39th, S, R or T streets above Reservoir road). I looked at one last June that was a one bedroom for $1350/month. I think the best way to find an apartment is to come here and look in person. Walk around the streets near the school and bring your cellphone to call numbers on the "For Rent" signs.

Parking is a problem because the residents of Georgetown (only area in DC that is like this) voted and decided to make street parking permits only available to DC residents (so your car has to be registered here and you have to get a DC driver's license too). Apparently they did this so that the students wouldn't clog up the streets with their cars.

I, however, love my car and the independence that comes with it (and the ability to go to the grocery store only once a week versus like every other day if you're walking or taking the bus), so I braved the parking here. You can do what I did, which was to get a 6-month street parking permit (it's non-renewable, but any student at a university in DC can buy one, you just have to get a confirmation of enrollment from the registrar's office to take to the DMV) at the DMV for $250, and then rent a private parking space nearby after that (which typically run between $90-150/month).

tacrum43 said:
Um, I'm not sure where you're talking about, because you can rent a whole townhouse to yourself that is less than a ten minute walk door to door for about $3,500-$4,000 per month. And these almost always come with at least one parking space in the rear. In fact, the townhouse next door to me is for rent right now and has a parking space.

As for an apartment, there are definitely a few above ground apartments that are within walking distance (like on 38th, 39th, S, R or T streets above Reservoir road). I looked at one last June that was a one bedroom for $1350/month. I think the best way to find an apartment is to come here and look in person. Walk around the streets near the school and bring your cellphone to call numbers on the "For Rent" signs.

Parking is a problem because the residents of Georgetown (only area in DC that is like this) voted and decided to make street parking permits only available to DC residents (so your car has to be registered here and you have to get a DC driver's license too). Apparently they did this so that the students wouldn't clog up the streets with their cars.

I, however, love my car and the independence that comes with it (and the ability to go to the grocery store only once a week versus like every other day if you're walking or taking the bus), so I braved the parking here. You can do what I did, which was to get a 6-month street parking permit (it's non-renewable, but any student at a university in DC can buy one, you just have to get a confirmation of enrollment from the registrar's office to take to the DMV) at the DMV for $250, and then rent a private parking space nearby after that (which typically run between $90-150/month).

sorry if this is a repeat question, but where are you living right now, and how much would you recommend it?

zahque said:
sorry if this is a repeat question, but where are you living right now, and how much would you recommend it?

I live on Greenwich Parkway, which is very close to the school, and I do love being able to leave at 8:45 for a 9:00am class. However, I live in a basement apartment. It's fine for one year, but I wouldn't especially recommend it. I think a better option would be to share a townhouse (that's basically all that is around here) with a few other students.

Oh my god, I got accepted to this program... a couple of days ago. Yay me! I kick ass... It feels good to be accepted somewhere.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.
Ok, now I know you guys all say, "don't volunteer anywhere while in you're in the program," but I don't care. Saturday mornings I will be in the ER doing ER things. Pimps of DC, rest easy. When a ho kicks you in the balls on a Friday night, I will be there on Saturday morning to help you.

jebus said:
The "like" was a nice touch, and stuff. If I go to the SMP (and get accepted), you and bill each get a cookie. If I don't get accepted: a pox on you both! Damn your oily hides! If I go elsewhere, quiet indifference. (Sorry, but Mt. Sinai's program looks really, really cool. Really.)

Defintiely holding you to that, granted I get in too.... If I don't.... well then I don't care :( .... yes I do :idea:

jebus said:
Oh my god, I got accepted to this program... a couple of days ago. Yay me! I kick ass... It feels good to be accepted somewhere.
Ok, now I know you guys all say, "don't volunteer anywhere while in you're in the program," but I don't care. Saturday mornings I will be in the ER doing ER things. Pimps of DC, rest easy. When a ho kicks you in the balls on a Friday night, I will be there on Saturday morning to help you.

Congrats. :)

I remember how good it felt last year after accumulating so many rejections just to see the word "acceptance" for once coming from a school.

jebus said:

Congrats! I don't know if you had already posted this, but do you mind posting your stats?

They should have received my supplemental stuff earlier this week, but my grad application still says nothing has been received. When do you think is the earliest I can call to bug them? I e-mailed Cabiness and she said 4 weeks, but I can't wait that long! Not after as many rejection letters I have received (we won't name numbers).

HouseIsMyHero said:
Congrats! I don't know if you had already posted this, but do you mind posting your stats?

They should have received my supplemental stuff earlier this week, but my grad application still says nothing has been received. When do you think is the earliest I can call to bug them? I e-mailed Cabiness and she said 4 weeks, but I can't wait that long! Not after as many rejection letters I have received (we won't name numbers).

i was wondering the same thing but received my acceptance less than a week after my application was complete, so you might not have to wait that long.

oh, and to read your mind and answer your question, 3.3 (2.9 science) and 34.

hizzouseismyhizzle,
I got my acceptance the day before my application was complete (according to their website). It took like 3 weeks to be complete - I've taken classes at 3 schools so they had to process 3 different official transcripts from schools who all used different identification numbers. I've apologized (silently) a couple of times and that seems to have worked.
~3.3 BCPM from top tier schools (both with the names "university" & "washington" in opposite permutations, so sez USNews, and one summer class at my state school) and a 36.

jebus said:
hizzouseismyhizzle,
I got my acceptance the day before my application was complete (according to their website). It took like 3 weeks to be complete - I've taken classes at 3 schools so they had to process 3 different official transcripts from schools who all used different identification numbers. I've apologized (silently) a couple of times and that seems to have worked.
~3.3 BCPM from top tier schools (both with the names "university" & "washington" in opposite permutations, so sez USNews, and one summer class at my state school) and a 36.

BUMP

Has anybody gotten in recently?

So you went to WashU and UW? I'm at UW now, I don't want to leave the West Coast but since UW doesn't have an SMP I have to apply to East Coast schools.

awesome. holy crap has it already been a year? wait...i got in in june...

get ready to study more than uve ever studied before. i hope to be a big sib to some of you in the fall.

let me in gu, i luuuuv u!

rock on smp 06!!! whoot whoot

- ed

Congratulations to everyone who have been accepted to GU SMP.

Like Ed, I am currently in SMP and can't believe it has already been over seven months since the program began.

I wish everyone good luck and "hopefully" I will see everyone in the Fall.

James

back on the subject of housing, anyone found anything yet, or even started looking?

Anyone applied to the GEMS program at Georgetown?

Elister said:
Anyone applied to the GEMS program at Georgetown?

GEMS isn't really a postbacc/MS program...its a decelerated MD program...i think youd find more info in the pre-allo forum.

Tommyk7 said:
back on the subject of housing, anyone found anything yet, or even started looking?

Seems way too early to worry about housing, though I understand the eagerness. I browsed through DC's Craigslist housing section just for the heck of it. Can't help it, getting very antsy at my current job ever since the acceptance email. There is a urge in me to somehow leap-frog these intervening months to land directly on August 10th. I just want to get on with my future.

Also, a question for current or ex SMP students: I gleaned from this site that we should expect to study about ~5 hours out of class every day, but usually how many hours do you spent in class daily? Is it mostly mornings or afternoons, or a mix? I guess I am trying to get a picture of the daily life of a SMP student.

Thanks

It depends on what time of the year it is, but regardless you will allways have morning classes (9 mostly, 10 if you are lucky.) Afternoon classes will be more intermitent (and more often in the fall) and may include labs or tutoring. A vast majority of the time though you are done before noon. So basicly you have classes in the morning and you either study in the afternoon and have free time in the evening or visa versa.

silkworm said:
Seems way too early to worry about housing, though I understand the eagerness. I browsed through DC's Craigslist housing section just for the heck of it. Can't help it, getting very antsy at my current job ever since the acceptance email. There is a urge in me to somehow leap-frog these intervening months to land directly on August 10th. I just want to get on with my future.

Also, a question for current or ex SMP students: I gleaned from this site that we should expect to study about ~5 hours out of class every day, but usually how many hours do you spent in class daily? Is it mostly mornings or afternoons, or a mix? I guess I am trying to get a picture of the daily life of a SMP student.

Thanks

I think you might find this link useful for housing

http://och.georgetown.edu/

James

Are you guys all for sure going to accept, or is there another program you're deciding between? Congrats to all!

well i'm pretty much decided on GT... had an option at the BU MAMS, but figured GT is a shorter route to the same goal.

Tommyk7 said:
well i'm pretty much decided on GT... had an option at the BU MAMS, but figured GT is a shorter route to the same goal.

heya tommy, i think they r the same - can be 1 or 2 years depending on what u decide. as i said b4, my friend finished BU MAMS in one year and wrote the library thesis which i know was no real big deal. he did a MPH the year after while applying to med schools and is now at at DO school (b/c he wants to be a DO)

I got accepted to the SMP program last month (booyah!), but I just came upon these forums. I figured I would post to introduce myself. After looking at all the previous posts I got a lot of questions answered, so thanks to all the current Physios for their help. I'm sure I'll come up with some other ones though.

The one things I'm worried about is housing, but I figure I still have some time to work that out. I just know I will be worrying about it until I confirm something. I plan on heading out there to check some places out in a couple months, and to me it seems like getting a townhouse with some other students would be a great idea. I know I work a lot better when I have other people to study with, and the desciptions of bugs in the basement apartments makes me cringe.

PeeJay said:
I got accepted to the SMP program last month (booyah!), but I just came upon these forums. I figured I would post to introduce myself. After looking at all the previous posts I got a lot of questions answered, so thanks to all the current Physios for their help. I'm sure I'll come up with some other ones though.

The one things I'm worried about is housing, but I figure I still have some time to work that out. I just know I will be worrying about it until I confirm something. I plan on heading out there to check some places out in a couple months, and to me it seems like getting a townhouse with some other students would be a great idea. I know I work a lot better when I have other people to study with, and the desciptions of bugs in the basement apartments makes me cringe.

-

PeeJay said:

I hate bugs!!! :(

Just got my e-mail acceptance today, it does indeed feel good to see "congratulations" and "accepted" as opposed to "regret" and "unable to offer a position".

:thumbup:

the alchemist said:
heya tommy, i think they r the same - can be 1 or 2 years depending on what u decide. as i said b4, my friend finished BU MAMS in one year and wrote the library thesis which i know was no real big deal. he did a MPH the year after while applying to med schools and is now at at DO school (b/c he wants to be a DO)

Ah thanks! How are things going for ya alchemist?

Tommyk7 said:
Ah thanks! How are things going for ya alchemist?

ok, but still waiting to hear from drexel IMS and GU SMP. going to their open house next week and staying with a current SMPer. still waiting to hear post-interview from a couple of MD/DO interviews so not in anywhere for sure yet. how about u? seems you're leaning toward GU even though you seem to like boston.