Official: Georgetown SMP Class of 07

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone know how the competitive pool works? got an email telling me that they didn't make a decision on my application, and that i was placed into the "competitive" pool that will be going second review in april. mannnnnnnnnnnn :( .

Members don't see this ad.

red dot said:
jebus,
it better be a special cookie! ready? *drum roll* i just pasted my amcas personal statement to the essay part of the application. and i sent them a copy of my whole amcas as well. the whole app took me, like, 20 minutes or so. (i had to add the like).
The "like" was a nice touch, and stuff. If I go to the SMP (and get accepted), you and bill each get a cookie. If I don't get accepted: a pox on you both! Damn your oily hides! If I go elsewhere, quiet indifference. (Sorry, but Mt. Sinai's program looks really, really cool. Really.)
Tacrum, about parking at GT: do they have moped parking spots or some reasonable facsimile? Like for a Vespa or something small like that? (You don't have to get a driver's license to get one of those in most states as long as the engine is small enough...) Is there a gym at GT for students to use? (I like to feel pretty.)
And I can sympathize with your new found love for your automobile. When I started at WUStL, they didn't let freshmen have cars. Ugh. At least DC has decent public transportation. St. Louis has a ghetto, one-track, straight subway. Oddly enough, now I hate driving. Go figure.

jebus said:
Tacrum, about parking at GT: do they have moped parking spots or some reasonable facsimile? Like for a Vespa or something small like that? (You don't have to get a driver's license to get one of those in most states as long as the engine is small enough...) Is there a gym at GT for students to use? (I like to feel pretty.)
And I can sympathize with your new found love for your automobile. When I started at WUStL, they didn't let freshmen have cars. Ugh. At least DC has decent public transportation. St. Louis has a ghetto, one-track, straight subway. Oddly enough, now I hate driving. Go figure.

I really have no idea about parking for mopeds. There is a gym here, it's pretty nice, although they do add an additional fee to your tuition each semester (I think it was like $125/semester) for it. And you can't opt out.

Members don't see this ad :)
jebus said:
The "like" was a nice touch, and stuff. If I go to the SMP (and get accepted), you and bill each get a cookie. If I don't get accepted: a pox on you both! Damn your oily hides! If I go elsewhere, quiet indifference. (Sorry, but Mt. Sinai's program looks really, really cool. Really.)

*gasp!* you have a moped?! ooooh! (watch out the girly girl in me comes out) if we both end up doing the smp together may i please please go for a ride? i've always fancied riding a cute vespa in a miniskirt! and since i'm still planning on bringing my car, i'll give you rides to the supermarket n stuff in the dead of winter!

Hi everyone,

For those of you in GT right now and are matriculating in Fall of '06, I just had a couple of questions about the courseload, funding, and stats.

What is a typical week like for you all, in terms of class time (say 8-4PM ish)? About how much time do you guys put into studying each week.

Also, are the majority of you guys getting loans or is there also a fair amount of scholarship available? I've read in a couple of places that the cost of living + tuition for the year there will be about $60K. That kind of frightens me.

Also, when do classes start for this fall? The reason I ask is because I am planning on doing a study abroad program with my Undergrad school which would delay my graduation until August 13th. Will I still be able to apply and matriculate in the fall if I do the summer program.

Finally, with a 3.52 overall, 3.42 science and 27P MCAT, do you even think I have a shot at GT.

Thank you all!

jjatx said:
Hi everyone,

For those of you in GT right now and are matriculating in Fall of '06, I just had a couple of questions about the courseload, funding, and stats.

What is a typical week like for you all, in terms of class time (say 8-4PM ish)? About how much time do you guys put into studying each week.

Also, are the majority of you guys getting loans or is there also a fair amount of scholarship available? I've read in a couple of places that the cost of living + tuition for the year there will be about $60K. That kind of frightens me.

Also, when do classes start for this fall? The reason I ask is because I am planning on doing a study abroad program with my Undergrad school which would delay my graduation until August 13th. Will I still be able to apply and matriculate in the fall if I do the summer program.

Finally, with a 3.52 overall, 3.42 science and 27P MCAT, do you even think I have a shot at GT.

Thank you all!

First of all, yes I think you have a shot, although your GPA already is pretty good. Improving your MCAT score with a $1,500 Kaplan course might be a better (and much cheaper) way to spend your time/money.

The summer program, however, would be a problem because classes start on August 8th or so. I had to send in my final transcript with my degree posted on it by June 30 or something like that.

Class time is actually not that much. Usually 3-5 hours per day, with most of it in the morning between 9 and 12. The latest we ever go is 5, but usually it's either 12 or 3. That being said, the afternoon and/or evening is study time. The amount people study varies a lot, but the average is probably between 2-5 hours per day for most people, and more before a test.

Scholarships? No, no. Prepare to be gouged. You are not teaching undergrad classes, and so you don't get a scholarship/stipend like a normal grad student might or anything like that. The SMP is a money maker for Georgetown, but you do get a lot for your money in return.

tacrum43 said:
The summer program, however, would be a problem because classes start on August 8th or so. I had to send in my final transcript with my degree posted on it by June 30 or something like that.
Actually, it turns out the program begins on the the 14th of August in 2006.
You'd miss orientation and be a pariah for the school year, but I guess you lucked out this year because they start a few days later than last year. tacrum is usually always right and I'm disappointed and surprised he's wrong now. For shame!
red dot said:
i've always fancied riding a cute vespa in a miniskirt!
Me too!
And I get to choose the music in the car or we have no deal.

jebus said:
You'd miss orientation and be a pariah for the school year, but I guess you lucked out this year because they start a few days later than last year. tacrum is usually always right and I'm disappointed and surprised he's wrong now. For shame!
Me too!

no problem, it's always been a rule amongst my friends that person in shot gun is the dj!

and yes, tacrum always seems to be correct! why is that?! haha

red dot said:
i'm effing relieved and content that i got into the program, but i also feel indescribably blah about it as well. it really kills your buzz when you're partying and people say "oh i hear you're moving! congrats you got into med school!" and then i feel compelled to go into the "no, i didn't (not yet?) and it's a special grad school program but i'm not giving up on med school and blah blah blah blah blah" speech. :barf:
don't get me wrong, i'm content. i prefer ecstatically happy and fulfilled beyond orgasm, that's all.

Word. I get pretty tired of said explanations as well. One of my friends taught me to say "I go to fake med school," which seems to suffice especially if immediately followed by "Now leave me alone and don't ask anymore questions you bastard," and a punch in the face.

If you're not comfortable with that kind of intimacy, then tell people that you're "Red-Shirting"... most people will appreciate sports analogies.

jebus said:
Me too!

Okay, so I wasn't 100% accurate. But I did have an "or so" qualifier. So, after looking it up, classes actually started on 8/15 last year. Orientation began on 8/11. I moved to DC on 8/6. My brain, the poor shriveled little thing, has been a *little* stressed lately by physiology and just didn't have the capacity for that level of detail for something that happened over 6 months ago.

Jjatx, while you wouldn't have to miss class, the degree date could be a problem. I recommend talking to the director of the SMP, Dr. Myers. He responds directly to this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/physios/

red dot said:
yes, tacrum always seems to be correct! why is that?! haha

It's because I am awesome. It's just that simple. ;)

wow, I just had a dream about my first week at GTSMP. Guess I'm just really looking forward to it. lol :sleep:

long time lurker, first time poster here. I just got in too. I did it backwards from everybody and already took my year off, so I'll be applying concurrently. I'll probably be moving there in the summer though, and I'll definitely swing by to look for places. So if anyone wants to make a pool of people looking for somewhere to live, I'm in.

Questions for SMPers: I am not going to take a car cause I reckon I'll live nearby and walk/ride my bike. How savage is a DC winter? Obviously a car is nice but how essential is it (honestly)? Hows public transport? I actually like riding subway systems. Also, I read about the implications of applying concurrently...the problem is my MCAT expires if I don't. What do you guys think about that, personally? Any good/bad storie of people who did apply concurrently? What advice do you have on what to do when one first arrives in terms of meeting faculty or good counselors? Or does orientation do a pretty good job? My undiegrad school had a terrible orientation.

I look forward to meeting everyone! If the program and DC are as great as everyone say I think it'll be a blast AND help for medschool! Sorry about all the questions, I can be a curious george.

rowdybow said:
long time lurker, first time poster here. I just got in too. I did it backwards from everybody and already took my year off, so I'll be applying concurrently. I'll probably be moving there in the summer though, and I'll definitely swing by to look for places. So if anyone wants to make a pool of people looking for somewhere to live, I'm in.

Questions for SMPers: I am not going to take a car cause I reckon I'll live nearby and walk/ride my bike. How savage is a DC winter? Obviously a car is nice but how essential is it (honestly)? Hows public transport? I actually like riding subway systems. Also, I read about the implications of applying concurrently...the problem is my MCAT expires if I don't. What do you guys think about that, personally? Any good/bad storie of people who did apply concurrently? What advice do you have on what to do when one first arrives in terms of meeting faculty or good counselors? Or does orientation do a pretty good job? My undiegrad school had a terrible orientation.

I look forward to meeting everyone! If the program and DC are as great as everyone say I think it'll be a blast AND help for medschool! Sorry about all the questions, I can be a curious george.

Wow, did I actually manage to respond before Tacrum had a chance to??? WOW!

First off, Rowdy - congrats on getting in - you're in for a hell of a year!

Second off - don't apologize for questions - all the current and former SMP's have been where you are now

How bad a DC winter is is all a matter of frame of reference. If you're like half the class and are from California, you will find them pretty cold. If you're like Touchdown (another poster here) and are from Wisconsin, you'll be wearing your swimming trunks in January. Overall, they are not too bad. We've had three days of snow with accumulation on the ground. Most days in the winter have been around 30-40 degrees for a high.

Transportation is actually pretty good around here. If you decide to live in Georgetown proper, you won't even need transportation. You can just walk to and from school. I live in Rosslyn (a part of Arlington) which is just across the river from Gtown. There is a shuttle that runs from two blocks from my house to Gtown Mon-Sat from 6 in the morning to midnight (times and frequency vary for weekends/holidays, but that is the general concept.) I didn't bring my car, but brought a bike. Arlington especially is a great area to ride from place to place, they have dozens of miles of bike trails through the city. DC is ok for bikes, although you have to watch out for random vans that will attack you out of nowhere. The Metro (subway system) is good if you are from CA (or another place that doesn't have one) terrible if you are from NY or Chicago (where they have fairly good ones, I am told.) between the Metro and the bus system, you can get pretty much anywhere you want to go in the DC area. You really don't need a car if you don't want one. The only time I can honestly say not having a car has been a problem has been shopping for food, and I've managed to work around that.

As far as applying to school during the program, it is actually encouraged. They tell us that unless there is a REALLY good reason not to, you should. In fact, over half the students in the SMP get accepted to a med school while they're in the program.

And don't worry about meeting the counselors. When you get here, you will have a two day orientation where you will meet all the major players (especially Drs. Mulroney, Myers and Sherman as well as Ms. Cabiness.) You will have a general advisor (one of the three aforementioned Drs.) as well as a specific advisor who will write a Letter Of Rec for you. You will also have several big sibs who are last year physios (maybe me :) ) who have matriculated and are now M1's. They will be able to answer any and all specific questions you have as the year progresses.

Hope this helps. Feel free to post or PM me with more questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats everyone...i got my acceptance email like 2 weeks ago. for anyone who is curious my stats are
MCAT 28O
GPA (overall) 3.4
I am doing my undergrad at UC Irvine

for all current SMPers, i have a few questions.

1) if you applied to med school while taking the program did the med schools tend to mostly look at your SMP GPA or did they look at your undergrad GPA too? right now if I take 5 classes I can raise my overall GPA to a 3.5 but I only need to take 2 classes so im kind of hesitant on taking that many extra classes. especially since this is my last year here and none of my friends are going to the east coast so id like to spend some time with them.

2) if you end up matriculating to gtown med school do you have to retake the classes you took during the SMP?

3) what types of med schools are you guys getting into?

4) what are the better areas to live in around gtown? i think im going to be in europe for most of july so i dont know if im going to have a chance to come in and find a place. i would just like to know which areas are most convenient to getting to school.

amizle said:
congrats everyone...i got my acceptance email like 2 weeks ago. for anyone who is curious my stats are
MCAT 28O
GPA (overall) 3.4
I am doing my undergrad at UC Irvine

for all current SMPers, i have a few questions.

1) if you applied to med school while taking the program did the med schools tend to mostly look at your SMP GPA or did they look at your undergrad GPA too? right now if I take 5 classes I can raise my overall GPA to a 3.5 but I only need to take 2 classes so im kind of hesitant on taking that many extra classes. especially since this is my last year here and none of my friends are going to the east coast so id like to spend some time with them.

2) if you end up matriculating to gtown med school do you have to retake the classes you took during the SMP?

3) what types of med schools are you guys getting into?

4) what are the better areas to live in around gtown? i think im going to be in europe for most of july so i dont know if im going to have a chance to come in and find a place. i would just like to know which areas are most convenient to getting to school.

Two in one day! Tacrum is getting slow on the draw - or he's studying for Physiology (which is what I should be doing.)

1 - someone may be able to answer this better than I am but I think they are considering both. Most everyone in the program is getting more interviews this year than they have in years past (I have three this year, none last) and the only dif is my SMP GPA. However, a lot of interviews have come, or are coming, after we completed our first semester and were able to send our grades out. As far as whether you should take the classes, I would say that any little bit helps - but only you can judge how much it means to you to be able to spend times with your friends.

2 - If you pass the classes you take at the SMP, I believe you don't have to retake them. I know you don't if you get an A or an A minus. However, it may be worthwhile to you to redo the classes if you weren't happy with your grade the first time around.

3 - There is a list on the SMP webpage (see my sig below) of schools that former SMP'ers have been admitted to. We're still in the process of being accepted and not everyone talks openly about being accepted. I know that people have been accepted to George Washington, NY upstate, NYU albany, Miami, several DO schools and Texas. That is hardly an exhaustive list, just the ones that I have heard of and remember offhand. You have to keep in mind that often, schools who know the SMP program wait to accept us until after we have a semester or more of grades. I would expect that within the next couple months we will have a lot more acceptances as waitlists move and our final grades come in. Finally, there will probably be about 30 students who will be accepted to Georgetown (if previous years' numbers hold.)

4 - best areas depend on priorities. Do you have lots and lots of $$$? Then you can get an apartment/townhome within a couple blocks of the school. Do you want convenience but don't have as much money - then you can get a basement apartment. (do NOT do this, however, if you do not like bugs... ask anyone about the "spider crickets") There are many of those within a few blocks of the school and they are usually relatively inexpensive. If you want a "nicer" place but don't mind a little more distance, you can live in areas like Rosslyn, or other parts of VA. As you can see in my last post, there is a regular shuttle to and from school to Rosslyn. Its not too bad. If you want to be in DC and enjoy a bit more nightlife, there are neighborhoods all around to choose from. The best thing to do is to go to the SMP program website and check out the "survival guide" that ex-SMP'ers put together a couple years back. It answers most of these questions.

>>>Just realized the link isn't in my sig: http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/physios/

go there, click on "accepted students" and then click on survival guide.

imrep1972 said:
Two in one day! Tacrum is getting slow on the draw - or he's studying for Physiology (which is what I should be doing.)

1 - someone may be able to answer this better than I am but I think they are considering both. Most everyone in the program is getting more interviews this year than they have in years past (I have three this year, none last) and the only dif is my SMP GPA. However, a lot of interviews have come, or are coming, after we completed our first semester and were able to send our grades out. As far as whether you should take the classes, I would say that any little bit helps - but only you can judge how much it means to you to be able to spend times with your friends.

2 - If you pass the classes you take at the SMP, I believe you don't have to retake them. I know you don't if you get an A or an A minus. However, it may be worthwhile to you to redo the classes if you weren't happy with your grade the first time around.

3 - There is a list on the SMP webpage (see my sig below) of schools that former SMP'ers have been admitted to. We're still in the process of being accepted and not everyone talks openly about being accepted. I know that people have been accepted to George Washington, NY upstate, NYU albany, Miami, several DO schools and Texas. That is hardly an exhaustive list, just the ones that I have heard of and remember offhand. You have to keep in mind that often, schools who know the SMP program wait to accept us until after we have a semester or more of grades. I would expect that within the next couple months we will have a lot more acceptances as waitlists move and our final grades come in. Finally, there will probably be about 30 students who will be accepted to Georgetown (if previous years' numbers hold.)

4 - best areas depend on priorities. Do you have lots and lots of $$$? Then you can get an apartment/townhome within a couple blocks of the school. Do you want convenience but don't have as much money - then you can get a basement apartment. (do NOT do this, however, if you do not like bugs... ask anyone about the "spider crickets") There are many of those within a few blocks of the school and they are usually relatively inexpensive. If you want a "nicer" place but don't mind a little more distance, you can live in areas like Rosslyn, or other parts of VA. As you can see in my last post, there is a regular shuttle to and from school to Rosslyn. Its not too bad. If you want to be in DC and enjoy a bit more nightlife, there are neighborhoods all around to choose from. The best thing to do is to go to the SMP program website and check out the "survival guide" that ex-SMP'ers put together a couple years back. It answers most of these questions.

>>>Just realized the link isn't in my sig: http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/physiology/physios/

go there, click on "accepted students" and then click on survival guide.

thanks a ton

Any of you decide on where you're living if attending gtown?

I'd like to know about accomodations as well - and what people are planning for the coming year. I think I'm gonna head out there in June or July and try and nail something down... but I really don't know where to start.

Just thought I would add my two cents to this tread, Im a current SMPer too.

When it comes to appartment shopping, get here early (May/June) because for some reason a lot of appartments dont open up until September, and your choices become limited. When you get here the best resource I had is a free appartment book the Post puts out (you can find them on any street corner) in the end though, you really have to the leg work (setting up interviews and touring) on your own, schedule a week and if you get done sooner just be a tourist the rest of the week, Washington is a great place to visit.

When it comes down to location, you really have two choices Georgetown, and any area that isnt Georgetown. If you chose the former, you dont need a car, can hang out on campus 24-7 but you start living in a bubble and you will likely be living in a basement.

I went the other route, for a few reasons, I wanted to have a car here (for grocery shopping which is a huge money saver, and I have the ability to skip town every once in a while) I wanted a single, and I wanted space. If you decide to go this route though, you have to be near a Metro stop; you do not want to drive into Georgetown every day, while there is no Metro station in Georgetown there is a free shuttle from Rosslyn (blue and orange line) and Dupont Circle (red) which runs 8-12 M-F. However, do not expect prices to get cheaper the further you go out, everything that isnt in DC but within the beltway is going to cost around the same (which is still cheaper then DC rates) so try to find something close to campus as possible (that means Virginia, Rosslyn is best, Arlington isnt bad, Fairfax and Alexandria are a little too far away.) Finally for those weekends following tests, since you are near a Metro station, you can easily go anywhere in DC (except Georgetown) and do anything. The downside to this is, that you have a commute (mine is 45 mins one way, 5 min walk, 10 min metro, 20 min bus, and 10 min waiting for a bus/train) and you cant get to campus on the weekend unless you want to walk half a mile and up a hill, so if you cant study in your room I would suggest looking at a DC appartment.

As for the weather, its pathetic we had one dusting right before Christmas and one real snowstorm a month ago; winter is over for us, the grass is turning green, its going to be in the 60s tomorrow and all signs point to the changing of the seasons. Youll be able to handle winter, dont worry about it; summer on the other hand is brutal. If you want to see pictures of winter in your new home check them out here: http://community.webshots.com/user/touchdownnd Winter Wonderland 1 was taken the night of the Christmas snow, and Wonderland 2 was taken a month ago (both times the snow lasted 2-3 days max. and I think we dipped into the 20s for 2 days)

hokiemon said:
Any of you decide on where you're living if attending gtown?
If I go to the SMP: The fruit loop (Dupont Circle). Not because I'm gay (I'm not, not that there's anything wrong with that); I just like the neighborhood. Frankly, I'd be happy anywhere near a subway stop. It would be nice if med schools would just make a decision and kill my hope and help me solidify my plans for next year.

jebus said:
It would be nice if med schools would just make a decision and kill my hope and help me solidify my plans for next year.

yeah, word. i was just thinking about how i have to figure out how the hell i'm going to reapply and not know what address to put down on the amcas, or what i would do if i already signed a one year lease contract for a dc apartment and then got in to a med school the day before it starts or how i'd move so quickly after having settled in dc for a few weeks etcetera etcetera.

River Rat said:
does anyone know how the competitive pool works? got an email telling me that they didn't make a decision on my application, and that i was placed into the "competitive" pool that will be going second review in april. mannnnnnnnnnnn :( .

i have no idea. that sucks though. i would write them a passionate letter.

red dot said:
yeah, word. i was just thinking about how i have to figure out how the hell i'm going to reapply and not know what address to put down on the amcas, or what i would do if i already signed a one year lease contract for a dc apartment and then got in to a med school the day before it starts or how i'd move so quickly after having settled in dc for a few weeks etcetera etcetera.
Oh, sh¡t, I didn't even think of that. You're clever, you are. I'm sort of at a fork in the road, I don't know if I'll apply next year regardless of which program I attend. Hmmm.... that's a contemplative, hmmm, by the way.

imrep1972 said:

I was taking a nap actually. That triple lecture this morning was killer. But while I was sleeping, the spider crickets in my basement apartment captured me and were holding me prisoner. You think I would be away from SDN for a whole 10 hours by choice? ;)

I was on a waitlist all summer too, just make sure you get your AMCAS done ASAP and sit on your secondaries until you know you have to apply next year. Also, when you do go shopping for a house remember that in order for you to take you choice off the market you have to sign the contract, which requires you to pay rent for the next twelve months, which ties you to DC. So unless your waitlisted at GU, GW, or any other school in the area it makes planning for next year difficult. I was lucky enough to find a place that let me delay the contract signing for a few weeks while I waited on Tufts, I still did have to withdraw from the waitlist in the end when I signed my contract and moved in in early Aug.

red dot said:

i believe that u can submit a 'change of address' request after you've submitted your amcas.

Touchdown said:
I was on a waitlist all summer too, just make sure you get your AMCAS done ASAP and sit on your secondaries until you know you have to apply next year. Also, when you do go shopping for a house remember that in order for you to take you choice off the market you have to sign the contract, which requires you to pay rent for the next twelve months, which ties you to DC. So unless your waitlisted at GU, GW, or any other school in the area it makes planning for next year difficult. I was lucky enough to find a place that let me delay the contract signing for a few weeks while I waited on Tufts, I still did have to withdraw from the waitlist in the end when I signed my contract and moved in in early Aug.

hey there, thanks! i can't help but admit though, i figured that was the case and i made me grumble... *sigh*

IMrep, thanks for the answers, eased my troubled mind....I'll keep checking the boards.
Amizle, I work in a lab at UCI, drop me a pm

tacrum43 said:
I was taking a nap actually. That triple lecture this morning was killer. But while I was sleeping, the spider crickets in my basement apartment captured me and were holding me prisoner. You think I would be away from SDN for a whole 10 hours by choice? ;)

Imrep and Tacrum. This is why I never see you guys; you're ALWAYS here on SDN.

calbear15 said:
Imrep and Tacrum. This is why I never see you guys; you're ALWAYS here on SDN.

Well it beats the library. I can't study in libraries. Okay...so I'm probably not studying if I'm on here typing this, but I'm just taking a break. Okay, so I take a lot of breaks. I can only learn so much about the kidney in a given day without going insane.

Your question in class today was great, btw. :)

Anyone know anything about an open house this April 7th for 2006 SMP'ers?

Tommyk7 said:
Anyone know anything about an open house this April 7th for 2006 SMP'ers?

Tommy, the open house is actually for all of Gtown's Biomed grad programs. That includes the SMP.

Here's a link with some info: http://biomedgrad.georgetown.edu/openhouseinfo.html

I would recommend you sign up ASAP. It fills up really quick (esp as the number of applicants to the SMP continues to increase.) Last year, I signed up early, but I had already been accepted to the program. Ms. Cabiness called me and actually asked me to not go so that someone else who was still considering attending the program could go to the open house.

If you decide to go, let me know. I think - from what I have heard - that I may be helping out. I'd love to meet all the SMP applicants from SDN and be able to answer questions, if I can.

Ah I see. I actually am already accepted as well, So I guess I don't need to go. Thanks!

imrep1972 said:
I think - from what I have heard - that I may be helping out. I'd love to meet all the SMP applicants from SDN and be able to answer questions, if I can.

Excuse me, but I believe that is MY job. ;)

The Open House has the potential to be a huge waste of time. I helped out last year (for my department, M&I) by going to the lunch and "mingling" with prospective students. These kids just sat there and didn't ask any of us much of anything. We tried to engage them, but there was really not a whole lot of participation on their behalf. This seemed to be the general experience for most of the departments (the luncheon was all departments combined).

If you go, make sure you have questions and are proactive about learning more from the current students there. I, personally, felt like a lot of these people were just wasting their (and my) time.

I don't mean for this post to be offensive, just informative. Congrats on Georgetown, everyone. You'll love it there.

OK, I take back everything I said. I just read that there is an optional lecture at the Open House on human Endocrinology. This means you should definitely go...I would never pass up the opportunity to see Dr. Lumpkin in action. If this doesn't make you want to go to Georgetown med, nothing will. :D

LadyWolverine said:
OK, I take back everything I said. I just read that there is an optional lecture at the Open House on human Endocrinology. This means you should definitely go...I would never pass up the opportunity to see Dr. Lumpkin in action. If this doesn't make you want to go to Georgetown med, nothing will. :D

if it's dr. lumpkin, definitely go. i agree with ladywolverine - if any one professor will make you want to be a student at georgetown next year, it's definitely him.

when i was a physio last year, i remember the open house folks sat in on one of our endocrinology lectures as well. i'm pretty sure it was with dr. danielson, though, so it was probably really boring and technical (albeit informative). oh well.

i haven't heard anything about this open house or *gasp* endocrinology lecture. did it come through snail mail? or is it because i haven't responded to their acceptance yet? i thought i had til april 15th... (i'm holding out for med school responses)

red dot said:
i haven't heard anything about this open house or *gasp* endocrinology lecture. did it come through snail mail? or is it because i haven't responded to their acceptance yet? i thought i had til april 15th... (i'm holding out for med school responses)

u can check out http://biomedgrad.georgetown.edu/openhouseinfo.html
for info on the open house and a registration form. they haven't finalized this year's schedule (at least when i called last week after registering) but you can look at the 2005 schedule - they give tours and let you sit in on actual classes - endocrinology, physiology and some others that i don't remember. its a whole day event with casual dress cuz you'll be walking around the campus during the tours.

the alchemist said:
u can check out http://biomedgrad.georgetown.edu/openhouseinfo.html
for info on the open house and a registration form. they haven't finalized this year's schedule (at least when i called last week after registering) but you can look at the 2005 schedule - they give tours and let you sit in on actual classes - endocrinology, physiology and some others that i don't remember. its a whole day event with casual dress cuz you'll be walking around the campus during the tours.

The only SMP lecture we have that day is "Heart Sounds" by Dr. Harvey.

Dunno if the M1's or the other grad programs have other classes that day.

imrep1972 said:

ahhhh...the famous dr. proctor harvey....goto that lecture...dont skip it like me, youll regret it!

imrep1972 said:

Brilliant idea that, actually looking at our schedule. :)

At the open house last year, the lecturer was actually Dr. Sherman. That was the most pot references per hour I had ever experienced from a professor, which made it quite memorable.

Just a quick warning about that schedule though, its a "working one" we were given back in January and anything can change after spring break. Just wanted to make sure all those future SMPers dont give their hopes up too early, we will know exactly whats happening that day when we come back on March 27th. ;)

when's the earliest date you can apply for the SMP?

I just got informed of my acceptance. :) That was fairly quick ~1week.

Hey neptune just wondeirng what your stats were if you dont mind.

33N MCAT 3.45 overall 3.2 Science @ an Ivy

Did you try applying to medical school?

Nope. I think this interim year will help me get into more than I may have.