Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i interviewed mid January and still haven't heard. when i called they couldn't tell me anything more than keep waiting.

They told me at my interview that it takes between 8-10 weeks to get back to us. So i don't think you should worry. I called them several times while i was waiting and they couldn't tell me anything, just to wait for the decision in the mail. However, they told me when the committee met and stuff like that. I think they are swamped now, so give me some more time.

Hope to see you next year! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am really interested in GW Med and will be applying this summer. Did you guys all get ur apps in early? Also, do you mind telling me ur stats? Thanks.

I applied late (near deadline), interviewed late January, got a letter dated 3/15. PM me if you have more specific questions.

Good luck with your applications.

Hey, just to make sure, so far all we've had to do is sign that contract that GW sent us when we were accepted right.....no deposit or anything like that? Also had to get our Fafsa in? Is there anythign im missing....

sorry just had a intense hit of paranoia

Members don't see this ad :)
The 100$ deposit is due May 15th and another one in July i believe.

The 100$ deposit is due May 15th and another one in July i believe.

Per the Payment Checklist sent via email:

-$100 due May 15th.
-$3000 deposit due JUNE 15. (says this includes the 100 deposit, so 2900 due?)

Hope this clears up some confusion.

~minijoy

PS Good luck to everyone that's waiting for an answer!:luck:

Per the Payment Checklist sent via email:

-$100 due May 15th.
-$3000 deposit due JUNE 15. (says this includes the 100 deposit, so 2900 due?)

Hope this clears up some confusion.

~minijoy

PS Good luck to everyone that's waiting for an answer!:luck:

Yep, thats all I've gotten so far.

I guess no one else has heard anything about when Fin Aid will come out (though last year, it came out pretty late - after May 15th) or when HOVA application will be put online?

Thanks everyone, =).

What do they mean by "general housing information is now available"? Is this the same info. that's been available? If not, where is the new general housing information?

Hi everyone! I was accepted last fall and I'm so excited to meet everyone in August. As for HOVA, I just found out the applications are already up. It's unders Forms and Applications 2007-2008. Did anyone join the google group for our class yet?

Hi everyone! I was accepted last fall and I'm so excited to meet everyone in August. As for HOVA, I just found out the applications are already up. It's unders Forms and Applications 2007-2008. Did anyone join the google group for our class yet?

Really? Who told you that?

I just looked and all I see is 2007-2008 Graduate Housing License Agreement - HOVA. Nothing about applying for a spot, or maybe I'm just blind. Did the admissions office tell you that we're supposed to send in the license agreement and thats our application for a spot?

Thanks for anything you can tell me. I had emailed them and they said they would definitely give prior warning before they release the applications for spots since its first come first serve once they deal with all current students who want spots. That sucks if they released it without warning.

Really? Who told you that?

I just looked and all I see is 2007-2008 Graduate Housing License Agreement - HOVA. Nothing about applying for a spot, or maybe I'm just blind. Did the admissions office tell you that we're supposed to send in the license agreement and thats our application for a spot?

Thanks for anything you can tell me. I had emailed them and they said they would definitely give prior warning before they release the applications for spots since its first come first serve once they deal with all current students who want spots. That sucks if they released it without warning.

Oh I'm sorry. I didn't read it carefully. It's the 2007-2008 Graduate Housing License Agreement that's up, not the actual application for applying for a spot. I didn't mean to confuse you. I'm still waiting for the application for a spot. I'll keep checking and let you guys know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I'm sorry. I didn't read it carefully. It's the 2007-2008 Graduate Housing License Agreement that's up, not the actual application for applying for a spot. I didn't mean to confuse you. I'm still waiting for the application for a spot. I'll keep checking and let you guys know.

Well, in the last email they said they would be sending out an email with the date that it will be released so that everyone will know since its first come first serve.

For all those who know they will be attending GWU next year, have you taken a look at the new standard student budget for next year?

Total cost of attendance for four years is $268,1000. I don't have much money saved up since I had to pay for half of my college costs but is everyone else planning on taking about that much in loans? It sounds like GWU doesn't offer many scholarships. I'm obviously going to try to cut down some of the living expenses that they budget for but just wondering how much people expect to be in debt when they graduate? If I can get that number to under 240,000, I will be fairly happy.

For all those who know they will be attending GWU next year, have you taken a look at the new standard student budget for next year?

Total cost of attendance for four years is $268,1000. I don't have much money saved up since I had to pay for half of my college costs but is everyone else planning on taking about that much in loans? It sounds like GWU doesn't offer many scholarships. I'm obviously going to try to cut down some of the living expenses that they budget for but just wondering how much people expect to be in debt when they graduate? If I can get that number to under 240,000, I will be fairly happy.

i started by taking out the full budget in loans this year and, as i'm just about to finish, i still have a few K left over. so, i ended up not needed to use it all. i live in an overpriced foggy bottom apartment building (aka - not HOVA), went on a cruise for spring break, go out to eat once or twice a week, and go out to the bars/movies/etc once or twice a week, and it still worked out fine. so, as long as you don't live too much of a lavish lifestyle, i doubt you will have to use the max (although it's probably wise to just take out the max at first). that's my advice. best of luck.

To a current student:

Its block scheduling right? So you have a couple of classes and then a big week of exams, and then start a new couple of classes?

To a current student:

Its block scheduling right? So you have a couple of classes and then a big week of exams, and then start a new couple of classes?

that's not actually how it works for first year. first semester you take gross, microanatomy, neurobiology, and practice of medicine (which is further broken down into doctor-patient-society, pbl, and your preceptorship). for the science courses, you will have 3 exams. the exams are given in a block format, so you will have all 3 of those exams during a 5 day block. but the classes continue after the exams.

practice of medicine runs the entire first year, but you have exams at the end of each semester. grading is pretty complicated for pom - there's a subjective component (evals from your mentors & preceptors) and then objective. each semester, you do a standardized patient exams. you also have a multiple choice written exam at the end of each semester (about the learning objectives from pbl), as well as a computer-based exam (first semester doesn't actually count for the computer - it's more like a practice test).

second semester, the science courses you take are biochemistry and physiology (which both run the entire semester) and immunology (which begins after spring break). physio & biochem exams are 3X a semester, just like gross, micro, etc. immunology is different though - there are only 2 exams, and they do not fit into the block schedule like the others do. again, you also have your various pom exams (patient-based, written, computer) at the end of 2nd semester.

hope that was more helpful than confusing!

that's not actually how it works for first year. first semester you take gross, microanatomy, neurobiology, and practice of medicine (which is further broken down into doctor-patient-society, pbl, and your preceptorship). for the science courses, you will have 3 exams. the exams are given in a block format, so you will have all 3 of those exams during a 5 day block. but the classes continue after the exams.

practice of medicine runs the entire first year, but you have exams at the end of each semester. grading is pretty complicated for pom - there's a subjective component (evals from your mentors & preceptors) and then objective. each semester, you do a standardized patient exams. you also have a multiple choice written exam at the end of each semester (about the learning objectives from pbl), as well as a computer-based exam (first semester doesn't actually count for the computer - it's more like a practice test).

second semester, the science courses you take are biochemistry and physiology (which both run the entire semester) and immunology (which begins after spring break). physio & biochem exams are 3X a semester, just like gross, micro, etc. immunology is different though - there are only 2 exams, and they do not fit into the block schedule like the others do. again, you also have your various pom exams (patient-based, written, computer) at the end of 2nd semester.

hope that was more helpful than confusing!

So both years the tests are in blocks though. So you get at least a weekend where you can honestly feel like you don't need to study without feeling guilty right?

Also, how do you like the extended courses. Is it nice being similar to college with semesters instead of jumping into a full block system (not that you can completely compare since you've probably never attended a med school with the other - but how do you generally like it?)

Basically, I'm tryign to compare the schools I have to choose from and having a weekend of relaxation (to visit with LD boyfriend) is a factor in choosing schools.

And yes it was helpful - thanks!

So both years the tests are in blocks though. So you get at least a weekend where you can honestly feel like you don't need to study without feeling guilty right?

Also, how do you like the extended courses. Is it nice being similar to college with semesters instead of jumping into a full block system (not that you can completely compare since you've probably never attended a med school with the other - but how do you generally like it?)

Basically, I'm tryign to compare the schools I have to choose from and having a weekend of relaxation (to visit with LD boyfriend) is a factor in choosing schools.

And yes it was helpful - thanks!

i would guess that at most medical schools you will have a guilt-free weekend at your disposal at some point. sometimes our blocks are wed/fri/mon, so classes will have begun again before that next weekend. but, still, i don't think people do much studying then. honestly, if you stay on the ball with your studies, you should be able to take a weekend off (to visit your bf or whatever you choose) in between exams. if you're disciplined, first year really shouldn't be that brutal.

as far as 2nd year at gw, i'm kind of confused how it works with testing. it seems like their exams are more randomly scattered rather than in block format. i wish i could tell you more about how it works, but i don't really know.

let me know if you need me to clear anything else up about gw. best of luck with your decision.

Anyone have their matchlist for this year?

Horray they sent financial aid stuff.

Can anyone decipher this for me:
Second, visit the following link for the application checklist. Select ONLY the checklist option that fits the type of aid that you will apply for, either GW Institutional aid or Federal loans only and print off that form. Provide that specific information the checklist requires to our office promptly. http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/checklist_index.htm

I mean anyone who is applying for institutional aid will also be applying for federal loans - then won't I need to look at both checklists?

i'm pretty sure everyone has to apply for at least federal loans. you can choose to apply for gw loans in addition (which i believe are both aid-based and there may be a few merit-based ones available) if you'd like. in my case, it was probably pointless to apply for gw loans because my dad's salary was too high to qualify for need-based, but it's an easy application, so i think everyone should just at least try.

unless you get a full scholarship or something of that magnitude, you're going to have to take the rest of the budget out in loans. and, in that case, you'd obviously want to try and take out as much in federal aid before going to private lenders.

if you don't get any aid, and say you want to take out the entire first year budget, you'll get the maximum in federal (i think it's something like $8500 subsidized and $30,000 unsubsidized) and then you'll have to borrow the rest from a private lender (GW recommends T.H.E. which, in my experience so far, is better than CitiBank which i used in grad school).

in any case, as i've recommended a BILLION times, make an appointment to talk with someone at gw med financial aid (they exist solely for YOU) if you are confused or have any questions. i called them numerous times last year, and everytime they were completely helpful. you'll get much better advice from them than from sdn. just throwing that out there. best of luck with everything. if you get the applications in now, you'll be first in line to get your fin-aid offer from gw when it comes out (in may, i think?).

i'm pretty sure everyone has to apply for at least federal loans. you can choose to apply for gw loans (which i believe are both aid-based and there may be a few merit-based ones available) if you'd like. in my case, it was probably pointless to apply for gw loans because my dad's salary was too high to qualify for need-based, but it's an easy application, so i think everyone should just at least try.

unless you get a full scholarship or something of that magnitude, you're going to have to take the rest of the budget out in loans. and, in that case, you'd obviously want to try and take out as much in federal aid before going to private lenders.

if you don't get any aid, and say you want to take out the entire first year budget, you'll get the maximum in federal (i think it's something like $8500 subsidized and $30,000 unsubsidized) and then you'll have to borrow the rest from a private lender (GW recommends T.H.E. which, in my experience so far, is better than CitiBank which i used in grad school).

in any case, as i've recommended a BILLION times, make an appointment to talk with someone at gw med financial aid (they exist solely for YOU) if you are confused or have any questions. i called them numerous times last year, and everytime they were completely helpful. you'll get much better advice from them than from sdn. just throwing that out there. best of luck with everything. if you get the applications in now, you'll be first in line to get your fin-aid offer from gw when it comes out (in may, i think?).

Ok - I'll go ahead and do both. The email just emphasized the only so much I thought it was pretty weird they were only going to let me apply for institutional aid OR federal loans. I'll just do both.

And yeah, I'm planning to do it this weekend and mail it in Monday - I really want to know what I'm getting before I have to decide in May.

i would guess that at most medical schools you will have a guilt-free weekend at your disposal at some point. sometimes our blocks are wed/fri/mon, so classes will have begun again before that next weekend. but, still, i don't think people do much studying then. honestly, if you stay on the ball with your studies, you should be able to take a weekend off (to visit your bf or whatever you choose) in between exams. if you're disciplined, first year really shouldn't be that brutal.

as far as 2nd year at gw, i'm kind of confused how it works with testing. it seems like their exams are more randomly scattered rather than in block format. i wish i could tell you more about how it works, but i don't really know.

let me know if you need me to clear anything else up about gw. best of luck with your decision.

Second year is incredibly chaotic. If it is any indication, I had to look back at my calendar to remember how things were run.
For the first semester, we had pharm, path, psych,microbio, and practice of medicine (POM). Psych ended around Thanksgiving. With so many classes, we were having an exam almost every other week. The experience was so traumatic that I really do have a mental block and just remember trying to keep my head above the water from Sep-Dec (not exagerating). There was never a weekend that I didn't study.
Second semester is like coming out of the rapids into the slower moving water. Our exams are all a combination of path, pharm, and intro to clinical med. There is a lot of information, but it fairly well coordinated and all comes down at the same time. The entire week after an exam is relaxing. I even went camping and read a novel!
I'm pretty sure that second year is hell at most programs, but if you have any specific questions about GW, let me know.

eralza -

yo, don't make me so excited about next year! ha. good luck with the boards.

alwaysaangel - i'm pretty sure they don't actually make financial aid decisions before may 15, unfortunately. i don't think most schools actually do. so i don't know if you'll really have your aid estimate before then to make your decision. perhaps you could mention to gwumc fin aid, though, that you are really counting on this aid offer to help make your decision. maybe in that case, they could make a special exception to you. i'm not sure if that happens or not, but i guess it's worth a try.

alwaysaangel - i'm pretty sure they don't actually make financial aid decisions before may 15, unfortunately. i don't think most schools actually do. so i don't know if you'll really have your aid estimate before then to make your decision. perhaps you could mention to gwumc fin aid, though, that you are really counting on this aid offer to help make your decision. maybe in that case, they could make a special exception to you. i'm not sure if that happens or not, but i guess it's worth a try.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. In the email they said "Also note that there is NO application deadline for incoming students but you are encouraged to complete the process promptly to allow us to extend your aid offer before your decision dates." So I'm hoping if I get this all in by Monday they'll get back to me by early May.

I already spoke to Mr. Carpenter and with my numbers he said he would "venture to guess that I would get some amount of institutional aid, but he didn't know how much."

Second year is incredibly chaotic. If it is any indication, I had to look back at my calendar to remember how things were run.
For the first semester, we had pharm, path, psych,microbio, and practice of medicine (POM). Psych ended around Thanksgiving. With so many classes, we were having an exam almost every other week. The experience was so traumatic that I really do have a mental block and just remember trying to keep my head above the water from Sep-Dec (not exagerating). There was never a weekend that I didn't study.
Second semester is like coming out of the rapids into the slower moving water. Our exams are all a combination of path, pharm, and intro to clinical med. There is a lot of information, but it fairly well coordinated and all comes down at the same time. The entire week after an exam is relaxing. I even went camping and read a novel!
I'm pretty sure that second year is hell at most programs, but if you have any specific questions about GW, let me know.

Oh stop it already, it wasn't that bad. Although I think I may have blocked it out too. Or maybe I don't remember because it was benign, more or less. Med school is fun and GW is great!

My advice is don't worry about anything beyond what is in front of you now. Stress about second year exams when you get there. Now just enjoy your last moments as a "layperson" because you are in for an exciting adventure!

Hey to any current students or future students who may have called and asked (I would have called yesterday if I had seen it in time).

I was trying to pick my lender, but I prefer the terms of my own bank (B of A). And on the email it said "you are free to choose any lender you wish" so I figured it wasn't a problem.

But then I got through step 1 of the online application and suddenly it said "Click here to see our frequently used lender list. You must choose your lender from this list."

So I'm planning to call on Monday, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knows. Are we completely limited to the four lenders on that list or can we choose another lender if we want. I'm a bit confused by their opposite information.

So I was looking through this thread and last years thread, and some other threads that I thought may have a GW student describing their typical day, but I couldn't find anything.

So could some of the current students give us an idea of what you do all day? Whether you go to class? How much you study? Etc. I know they give out handouts, and notes and mp3s of lectures so I'm assuming a lot of people don't go to lecture.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Hey everyone. I'm currently trying to choose between GW and a couple other schools. For any upperclassmen reading this, how would you rate your Step 1 preparation? Does the school provide you with lists of recommended books and outlines on how to study? I've heard that many students take Kaplan, but if you don't want to do that, are there other options? Also, how long do you have to study for the boards?

Thanks!

From GW Housing website

"There is no space available in HOVA, we are not keeping a wait list"

Whoops, there goes that idea that I and many people on this board have in saving some money and applying to HOVA. I dont know how I will find a place near Foggy Bottom for $925 including utilities. Utilities has to run about $100/month and I haven't found much except for places a quick metro ride for $825.

From GW Housing website

"There is no space available in HOVA, we are not keeping a wait list"

Whoops, there goes that idea that I and many people on this board have in saving some money and applying to HOVA. I dont know how I will find a place near Foggy Bottom for $925 including utilities. Utilities has to run about $100/month and I haven't found much except for places a quick metro ride for $825.

Yeah I guess its a metro ride for me - that kind of sucks.

Just emailed them about the likelyhood that spaces may open up later in summer. Will post the response here.

Yeah I guess its a metro ride for me - that kind of sucks.

Just emailed them about the likelyhood that spaces may open up later in summer. Will post the response here.

Here is the response:

Greetings Shannon,

Thank you for contacting GW Housing Programs.

We do not anticipate any spaces becoming available in HOVA for the 2007 - 2008 year. For some starting points for off campus housing, please see http://gwired.gwu.edu/offcampus or http://gradlife.gwu.edu/OffCampusHousing/

Please feel free to contact our office with any additional questions you may have.

My original email was:

To Whom It May Concern:

I noticed today that the message on the HOVA website went from "applications for new students available shortly" to "there is no space available." I know you said you are not keeping a wait list but is there any possibility that spaces may open up through the summer or should all new graduate students start looking for alternate housing arrangements?

Thank you,

Incoming Medical Student

Man this sucks!!!!!!!!!! Back to craigslist.... :(

sorry to hear about hova, guys. honestly, though, i think you're better off. $900 is a rip-off for that place. a number of my friends who lived there this past year are really anxious to get out. it's basically a dorm. if you put some time into your search, you can definitely find a place close to campus for $1100-1200 a month. for the extra space you'd get and the kitchen you'd get in an apt or studio, i think the extra money will be very much worth it. and, if you have to live in virginia, it's really not that bad. many people in our class live there. best of luck with the search.

sorry to hear about hova, guys. honestly, though, i think you're better off. $900 is a rip-off for that place. a number of my friends who lived there this past year are really anxious to get out. it's basically a dorm. if you put some time into your search, you can definitely find a place close to campus for $1100-1200 a month.

The budget only gives 900 for housing. Going 200-300 over that is pretty significant.

I'm looking for stuff further out, I'm hoping to find something that will give me the space for a good cost, even if I have to take a 20 min metro ride everyday.

So I was looking through this thread and last years thread, and some other threads that I thought may have a GW student describing their typical day, but I couldn't find anything.

So could some of the current students give us an idea of what you do all day? Whether you go to class? How much you study? Etc. I know they give out handouts, and notes and mp3s of lectures so I'm assuming a lot of people don't go to lecture.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

no one else is biting on this one... and i'm just not in a studying mood right now, so i'll give you an overview of the day of a first year

fall semester (M/W/F):
lecture (microanatomy or neuro) from 8/8:30 till around anywhere from 11-12
lunch from 12-1
lecture from 1-2 or 1-3 (gross/embryo)
gross lab from 3-5 (usually) or 2-4 (rarely)
- after 5PM, it really depends on your habits/study needs. for me, i usually went running, had dinner, went to the library for about 2 hours, then just relaxed and watched tv after that. i usually went to bed at around 12. i think a lot of people chose to study more than 2 hours though.

fall (T/Th):
this varies a lot more for people, because everyone's POM schedules are different. here's how mine went

Tuesday:
PBL Lecture from either 8/9-10
PBL small group session: 10-12
Preceptor's Office: 1-4 (but this is only once per month)
- usually i was free for the rest of the day after 12

Thurs:
POM Interview Skills from 9-12 (this was only 5 times all semester)
Neuro Lecture/Lab from 1-2 or 1-3 (this was most weeks, but not all)
POM Physical Diagnosis (@ Hospital 6th floor) from 4:30-7:30PM (this was only 5 times all semester, and it was only different weeks than Interview Skills)
** on days when i got out early (i.e., 12 on Tues), i usually studied a bit more, maybe 3 hours

- again, these are typical days, but the schedule is not the same every week. during the weeks before exam blocks, we usually had few classes, maybe a review session or lab here and there.

Spring Semester offers a lot more free time (apparently it's supposed to be the easiest sem of med school here?)
MWF (before spring break):
Biochem from 8:30 to about 10 or 10:30
Physiology from either 1-3 or 2-4ish

T/Th (before spring break):
-more or less the same as fall semester with regards to POM, although we visit our preceptors much more frequently (9 times instead of 4)
- Biochemistry lecture on Thursdays from 1:30-3 or so

** After spring break, Immunology begins
- Immuno lectures are on Mon and Th from 1:30-3:30/4
* Physio is now only on W/F
* there is no longer biochem lecture on Thur (just MWF)

In any case, it sounds like a lot of class time, and it is. but, there is plenty of time for leisure, etc. you just have to adjust to the schedule when school first starts and after that, it's really not bad. i think in this case, it's easier done than said (if that makes any sense). anyway, i'm happy to entertain any questions about my schedule. hopefully this wasn't too confusing.

no one else is biting on this one... and i'm just not in a studying mood right now, so i'll give you an overview of the day of a first year

fall semester (M/W/F):
lecture (microanatomy or neuro) from 8/8:30 till around anywhere from 11-12
lunch from 12-1
lecture from 1-2 or 1-3 (gross/embryo)
gross lab from 3-5 (usually) or 2-4 (rarely)
- after 5PM, it really depends on your habits/study needs. for me, i usually went running, had dinner, went to the library for about 2 hours, then just relaxed and watched tv after that. i usually went to bed at around 12. i think a lot of people chose to study more than 2 hours though.

fall (T/Th):
this varies a lot more for people, because everyone's POM schedules are different. here's how mine went

Tuesday:
PBL Lecture from either 8/9-10
PBL small group session: 10-12
Preceptor's Office: 1-4 (but this is only once per month)
- usually i was free for the rest of the day after 12

Thurs:
POM Interview Skills from 9-12 (this was only 5 times all semester)
Neuro Lecture/Lab from 1-2 or 1-3 (this was most weeks, but not all)
POM Physical Diagnosis (@ Hospital 6th floor) from 4:30-7:30PM (this was only 5 times all semester, and it was only different weeks than Interview Skills)
** on days when i got out early (i.e., 12 on Tues), i usually studied a bit more, maybe 3 hours

- again, these are typical days, but the schedule is not the same every week. during the weeks before exam blocks, we usually had few classes, maybe a review session or lab here and there.

Spring Semester offers a lot more free time (apparently it's supposed to be the easiest sem of med school here?)
MWF (before spring break):
Biochem from 8:30 to about 10 or 10:30
Physiology from either 1-3 or 2-4ish

T/Th (before spring break):
-more or less the same as fall semester with regards to POM, although we visit our preceptors much more frequently (9 times instead of 4)
- Biochemistry lecture on Thursdays from 1:30-3 or so

** After spring break, Immunology begins
- Immuno lectures are on Mon and Th from 1:30-3:30/4
* Physio is now only on W/F
* there is no longer biochem lecture on Thur (just MWF)

In any case, it sounds like a lot of class time, and it is. but, there is plenty of time for leisure, etc. you just have to adjust to the schedule when school first starts and after that, it's really not bad. i think in this case, it's easier done than said (if that makes any sense). anyway, i'm happy to entertain any questions about my schedule. hopefully this wasn't too confusing.

No that was great!!! Thanks so much for doing that for us! Gives us a great idea of what to expect.

So most people go to all the MWF lectures? Or do a lot of people skip because of the note service, handouts and audio recordings of lectures (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that GW offers all three of these).

Thanks again for doing that for us!!!

No that was great!!! Thanks so much for doing that for us! Gives us a great idea of what to expect.

So most people go to all the MWF lectures? Or do a lot of people skip because of the note service, handouts and audio recordings of lectures (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that GW offers all three of these).

Thanks again for doing that for us!!!

i'd say most people go to class. there are of course people who skip all the time or a lot of the time. but, i think you're at a loss if you choose to do that. we have a student note-taking service, but i wouldn't completely trust that. it's not checked over by professors, so if the notetaker makes a mistake, it's still in the notes. obviously it's helpful if you've missed class one day, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. the audiolecture is a big help, but you don't have any of the visuals (graphs, pictures, etc) and that can be really frustrating, especially in a class like physiology which is very focused on graphs and relationships. professors give us handouts, but it really varies from person to person. some of them are fairly scant and require you to write down a lot of things that are said in class. for example, you'd really be at a loss if you skipped biochemistry - he draws out a lot of the pathways on the blackboard. i'd say for nearly all of our lecturers, if you chose to skip class, you'd miss at least a few important concepts. i mean, you could always go to the audio (but then you'd prob have to listen to the entire thing anyway - why not just go to class?) or the noteset (but there could be wrong or missing info). so, i'd recommend going to class.

Thanks for the information!!!!:thumbup: Can you tell me what percentages constitute Honors vs. Pass? I'm a little confused about that and its not explained very well on the website.:love:

Thanks for the information!!!!:thumbup: Can you tell me what percentages constitute Honors vs. Pass? I'm a little confused about that and its not explained very well on the website.:love:

no prob! well, i think grading is up to each course director, but they all end up following the same format. final average of ~90% = H (i think our gross prof ended up accepting down to 89.4%) and 70%-90% = P. below 70% is considered failing. you can also get a "conditional pass" as a final grade - this means you are required to take an oral/written exam in order to try and pass the class. if you fail that, you fail the class. different course directors place different restrictions on CP. for example, in biochemistry, if you fail either the 2nd or 3rd exam, despite your final average being in the "Pass" range, you automatically get a CP (unless of course your average is <70%, which is an F) some directors say that if you fail a certain number of exams (i.e., 3 out of the 6 gross written/practical exams), reagrdless of your final average, you automatically fail (not even a CP). so, yeah, it varies. Passing is NOT difficult. Getting an honors is. Since H/P/F is based on final grade averages, there's no limit to the # of people that can get honors. if everyone in the entire class gets >90%, they ALL get honors. this is really nice cause it cuts down on the competition big time. i think they said something like 50 people out of 180 in our class Honored gross anatomy this year. In comparison, only 17 out of 180 in our class got above 90% on our first biochemistry exam. hopefully that was helpful.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up! :love: