Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minijoy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guess I'll start it, I'm 99% sure I'll be here next year. Anyone else?

:luck: :love:
--minijoy

Members don't see this ad.

So I am waiting to hear back after interviewing there about a month ago. And I was just wondering if you called or if you got an email that suggested you were a sure thing... I guess I'm just anxious to know if they'll give you any hints about where you stand. Thanks.

Hi impatient,

Sorry about the vagueness of my start to the thread. I interviewed on 9/19 and was accepted on 10/16 with a phone call from the dean. I got the contract and letter on 10/18. I'm pretty sure I'll be there next year but something freak could happen (why the 99%) because my husband has a good job and I'm settled at GW (doing a master's program). I am very excited about GW's MD program!

(I'm sure I can answer many questions about the program for anyone interested).

LatinoMasFino got in yesterday via snailmail without phonecall. So, there's precedent for that too.

I wish you lots of :luck: :luck: :luck: and hoping that you'll be a classmate next August.

Keep your chin up,

--minijoy

Members don't see this ad :)
Here! (probably)

Minijoy,
If you don't mind too much, I was wondering what master's program you were in. I am dong my MPH at GW and am in my first year here, I applied to GW last year and was waitlisted. I really want to go here, and was wondering if you thought being here already in a masters program helped your chances?
Thanks.

Hi! I am 98% sure I will be at GW in the fall. I went to grad school there and loved it. I have gotten into a couple of schools but GW is at the top of the list and it would be great to be back in DC. I am already so distracted by the fact that I am going to med school next year. At work I spend way too much time looking for apartments around Foggy Bottom even though it is a little too early for that. Bring on the late nights of studying in Ross Hall. Cannot wait to meet you all in the fall. PS I made us a Facebook group.

http://bates.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213490740

Minijoy,
If you don't mind too much, I was wondering what master's program you were in. I am dong my MPH at GW and am in my first year here, I applied to GW last year and was waitlisted. I really want to go here, and was wondering if you thought being here already in a masters program helped your chances?
Thanks.

Hi impatient,

I'm in the MS public health microbiology program and I really think has helped me gain acceptance to the MD program. I've made a lot of connections and worked with several MD/PhDs toward my thesis. I've worked hard, and it has paid off. You should try to talk to someone in admissions, and send a update letter with new grades, research, etc. A letter of intent reiterating your interest in GW and explaining what you've done to improve your application since you were waitlisted can help if you don't get a straight acceptance. PM me if you need anything else (I'd like to meet you if I haven't already :) ). We might have shared a class without even knowing it. :luck: :luck: :luck: I hope you get in!!!

--minijoy

Hi! I am 98% sure I will be at GW in the fall. I went to grad school there and loved it. I have gotten into a couple of schools but GW is at the top of the list and it would be great to be back in DC. I am already so distracted by the fact that I am going to med school next year. At work I spend way too much time looking for apartments around Foggy Bottom even though it is a little too early for that. Bring on the late nights of studying in Ross Hall. Cannot wait to meet you all in the fall. PS I made us a Facebook group.

http://bates.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2213490740

Woot! Hope to see you next year Katie! Which schools are you also considering?

--minijoy :D

I got in too! After my interview, I felt kinda questionable about the school though even though it was my first choice prior to the interview. I mean, it costs so much, which is okay if its Hopkins/ Harvard, but I can't help but wonder why GWU attracts such a large applicant pool. I really loved the Track program, the classroom, the simulated surgical suite, the hospital (best looking hospital I've been in since I worked at Duke). And most of all I love the fact that it's in DC (which is my 2nd home). Can any of you guys maybe elaborate on your GWU decision? I am trying to figure out all that GWU has to offer. Do they have a second look weekend? I am so excited to be accepted to such a sought after school. I never thought in a million years I would have such a decision to make.

I got in too! After my interview, I felt kinda questionable about the school though even though it was my first choice prior to the interview. I mean, it costs so much, which is okay if its Hopkins/ Harvard, but I can't help but wonder why GWU attracts such a large applicant pool. I really loved the Track program, the classroom, the simulated surgical suite, the hospital (best looking hospital I've been in since I worked at Duke). And most of all I love the fact that it's in DC (which is my 2nd home). Can any of you guys maybe elaborate on your GWU decision? I am trying to figure out all that GWU has to offer. Do they have a second look weekend? I am so excited to be accepted to such a sought after school. I never thought in a million years I would have such a decision to make.

Congrats on the acceptance, Brownskinladae! GW is an extremely selective school, and you know that DC has a ton to offer. You stated some of the school's strengths. I'm not sure if GW offers a formal second look weekend but I know that you are welcome to attend classes or visit at any time. I know that I may have to choose between GW and Loyola, but my reasons include my husband's job near DC and great connections I've made here. Everyone at GW is incredibly supportive and I've taken a med school class with the second years--it's so non-competetive and it's true that people email their study guides to help prepare for exams. I seem to remember seeing that you've been accepted to many excellent schools lately. You will have a tough time choosing which school to attend. Rest assured, GW may not be ranked (not that rankings mean all that much...) but the school produces great docs, matches them into great residency programs, and it is a fantastic place to live (though expensive as you know). When it's all said and done, I don't think you can make a bad choice--just explore your options and choose the school that's right for you. If you want to go into research, however, GW may not be the right school for you. If you want to do primary care or even specialize, GW is a great choice!

I can elaborate more if you want later...or you can always PM me.
:love: :luck:

~minijoy

PS YAY so excited someone posted on this thread:D

I got into GW!!!!! I received the letter today!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

So glad you've joined us! Getting into GWU is a huge accomplishment. When did you interview? Maybe we were at the same one.:)

I interviewed on Oct 24th. Were you in my interview group?
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Brownskinladae,
PM me or hit me up on AOL IM Prettykey00. :love:

I got into GW!!!!! I received the letter today!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Congrats PHD_2007!!! So happy for you. Is GW your top choice?

~minijoy

Minijoy,
Yes, GW is my top choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

I have saved Prettykey00 as a buddy. I'll IM you later. I'm notjustanysistah by the way.

Minijoy,
Yes, GW is my top choice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

That's awesome. I LOVE hearing that! I know how excited I was when I found out that I was accepted. It's just starting to sink in!

Yes!:D

I totally missed this thread and started a new one - my bad!

I loved GW, their emphasis on international medicine has definitely made it my #1 school. I have to choose between Loyola and GW as well, but i think i'll make DC my second home.

One of us started a group on facebook "GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences Class of 2011" - it would be nice if more people joined.

Does anyone have any thoughts on housing options? When i interviewed back in September they told us that finding affordable apartments might be an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts on housing options? When i interviewed back in September they told us that finding affordable apartments might be an issue.

:laugh: um, yeah housing in DC is ridiculous. I wouldn't even look in Foggy Bottom for an apartment unless you know people that could give you a fair break. My husband and I live in Arlington right now, and you get more for your money (but don't get me wrong, a 1 bedroom in Arlington is usually more than 1300 a month.) Many people at GW find a roommate and split the cost of a large 2 bedroom (so that would be better at about 1000 or a bit less per month) for a nice place. The metro system is great, so you can get even cheaper rent if you go out further on the orange line in N. Va (I recommend Arlington and Falls Church). If we stay here we will move further out toward Vienna to get a bigger apartment for less $. There are also metro stops in Maryland (but it may not be as convenient since you may have to make more transfers). It is worth it to pay a little more to be near a metro stop. You won't NEED a car until 3rd year from what I understand.

I will PM you soon--gotta chat about Loyola vs GW, want to hear your opinions :)

Congrats on your acceptance!

~minijoy

Housing is expensive!! What about studio apartments?:love:

Housing is expensive!! What about studio apartments?:love:

Studios (efficiencies) run upwards of $2000 in Foggy Bottom but I've seen some cheap ones if you know people ($8-900/month) but I guarantee you it won't be very nice.:rolleyes:

Again, I think Northern Virginia is your best bet for housing. You can get a studio for about a thousand a month or even less (for a really nice place). You can search "rent.com" or other listings. There is a ton of turnover during the summer--you shouldn't have a problem finding a place.

:D :D :D
~minijoy

hey guys - i'm a first year at gw, so hopefully i can be of some help. as for housing, yeah, it is real expensive. i live in foggy bottom and i visited a lot of places while doing my apt. search. you shouldn't have a problem finding a studio for $1100-1300 in foggy bottom. arlington is probably a bit cheaper, but i know a lot of people who opted for nicer places there, only to make up the rent difference with the amount they shell out for the metro each month. i love living really close to campus, purely for the convenience. i definitely think the $100 or so extra i pay each month in rent is worth it.

i visit this site pretty infrequently, but let me know if you have any more questions and hopefully i can help. best of luck on your decisions.

Thanks medstylee for your input! Good to have differing opinions. It's nice seeing some students helping out on the pre-allo class threads! so, I think if you are single or proximity to school is most important to you it might be nice to live in DC but it was better for my husband to drive to work going out toward Manassas if we lived in N. Va. Cost is $1.35 per way on the metro (2 stops to GW/10 min away/walk to metro) from Arlington--great neighborhood and very convenient. Agreed that you can break even cost wise if you choose a nice apt. outside of DC. Just choose what's important for you, what will make you the most comfortable and help you be the most productive student.

:D

~minijoy

Thanks everyone for your input on housing! I am truly concerned about that and finding a roommate. I've had the worst experience with a roommate freshman year of college, so I am truly freaked out.

Oh one more thing, do you guys know when orientation would start? I'll be in Africa for the summer and I can't figure out when i would need to return.

Thanks! ~Andreea

Hey Andrea,

I need a roommate too! Have you heard about their on-campus housing? You should check out the website. I think it's only like 400/mo. That's super cheap! Well, let me know if you decide you're going to get a roommate. I am in desperate need of one also because that's basically a requirement in DC. We should IM each other. I'm notjustanysistah on AIM. Let me know and congrats!

-Jolie

Jolie,
I thought on-campus housing was extremely limited and if i remember well med students don't get priority, i think i'll just try to look for something else in the surrounding area, but i'd definitely prefer to share an apartament rather than have a studio.

I don't have AIM, just yahoo and MSN messenger, so let me know if you have either one o those. on yahoo: andreeah49006 on msn: balanandreea

Thanks, and yeah congrats to you too!!!!

~Andreea

Put me on the roommate list too!!!!!! :)

I'm so happy people are interested in rooming together!

Does anyone know if GW offers a come-back day, for accepted students to re-visit the school before they make their final decision to matriculate or not?

Also, any of you know where GW is ranked among other clinical schools? I've seen it ranked #11 on their website at some point, but i can't seem to find that again.

Thanks everyone!!!!

~Andreea

I'm excited about GW!!! I don't know if they have second look weekend. :love:

I called Admissions Office at GW today and they don't have a formal second look weekend, but they welcome questions and informal visits, we can even attend some classes and spend the night in the dorms - that sounds cool if there some of us have to choose between GW and other schools.

You guys have a great winter break, i just started mine and there is no snow in MI yet to ski:(

~Andreea

HI Everyone,

Love all the talk about housing. I am too excited and spend way too much time looking at apartments. After living in DC for two years I might be able to provide a little help. Housing is very expensive, as we all know. I think I've just come to terms that the debt when we are done with this will be measured in the hundreds of thousands. My boss told me to just think of it as a number with a lot of zeros. Aiming for around 1300 would be a reasonable option. You could do less if you are willing to really hunt, live in a house etc. I actually had some luck looking for places in Georgetown and Glover Park. There is a bus from Georgetown to Foggy Bottom that is really simple to use. Apartments are much less in Georgetown or Glover Park. Group houses are another option. Virginia is less expensive than Foggy Bottom but is still really expensive. The Metro closes kind of early at night so if you are a late night study person it might not be the best option for you. The Himmelfarb library (the med library) closes at midnight if I recall correctly but Gelman (the undergrad library) is open 24 hours.

I don't think many med students live in GW housing. In fact it is a new option. I used to give tours for the Grad school office and because of neighbor relations in foggy bottom undergrads have first priority for housing. I wouldn't bet on GW housing being cheap most undergrads I knew paid around $800 or more a month for GW housing. I would be interested to learn about this $400 option someone mentioned. Is there a link? Another good option if you don't mind taking a bus or if you have a car is the palisades - a quiet neighborhood by Fox Hall Rd and the Georgetown med campus. I lived there in 2005 in a house with four of my friends and we each paid about $800 a month. Craigslist can be a good option and in my experience the group places are much less expensive. Could be fun to get a med school group to look for a house. Good Luck everyone! See you in August.

I think school starts around the second week in August. I think someone had asked that too.

Katie

a number of students in my class were able to get grad housing. i believe a single room was around $700 or so. the $400 option you are hearing about is for people who agree to have a roommate... in the same bedroom, undergrad dorm-style. also, the apts in hall on virginia avenue (grad housing) do NOT have kitchens in them. there is just a communal kitchen in the basement. they are, supposedly, using another facility for grad housing next year, so things could be different (prices, kitchens, etc). just an fyi, though.

katie actually brings up a good point, mentioning pallisades as a place to live. i'd also check out foxhall village, which is right next to the pallisades. i say this because gw actually has a separate campus called "mount vernon campus" and it's in foxhall village. they have shuttles that run over to the main campus (stopping right next to the med school) on the order of minutes. they also have a really nice, quiet library there which will be open to you, as a gw student. the one drawback to the whole pallisades/foxhall/glover park areas is that there is NO metro access. there is a nice little section of foxhall village right next to georgetown med (ironically), where you might be able to find a 1-bedroom for $1000 or so. actually, a large percentage of georgetown med students live in there. so, if you weren't opposed to the idea, you could share a town-house there with gtown students. i think this would actually work better than virginia because you could avoid the ordeal of missing public transportation (city buses, in this case) back home by just going to study at the mount vernon library rather than risking staying at the main campus too late.

as for getting roommates together for housing, you could do what our class did - we started a google group (similar to a yahoo group but easier to use). we also have an official gwmed2010 listserve, but that is accessed by professors, etc. so, when advertise parties or bar nights, etc, it's usually posted on the google group. it turned out to be a really great tool. we had e-mailed it to dean mcquail and she actually went ahead and e-mailed our entire class with the link, so everyone eventually knew about it.

alright, enough typing, my wrist is killing me (a lot of sawing in gross lab yesterday... yikes!).

keep up the gwmed enthusiasm!

edit: oh yeah, and just to let you know, our orientation this year began on august 16, and classes began the following week. orientation is a lot of fun and the white coat ceremony was very nicely done! there is a great community service day during orientation, and i think it lets you start to realize right away how gw is different than a lot of other schools out there.

as for getting roommates together for housing, you could do what our class did - we started a google group (similar to a yahoo group but easier to use). we also have an official gwmed2010 listserve, but that is accessed by professors, etc. so, when advertise parties or bar nights, etc, it's usually posted on the google group. it turned out to be a really great tool. we had e-mailed it to dean mcquail and she actually went ahead and e-mailed our entire class with the link, so everyone eventually knew about it.

Here guys - made one. Lets try it out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GWU2011

i just got my acceptance to GW yesterday! i loved the school, but i'm still trying to decide between GW and Wake. i would ask for advice on making the decision, but i'm pretty sure the opinion here would be pretty biased. at any rate, congrats to everyone accepted, maybe i'll see you next year!

i just got my acceptance to GW yesterday! i loved the school, but i'm still trying to decide between GW and Wake. i would ask for advice on making the decision, but i'm pretty sure the opinion here would be pretty biased. at any rate, congrats to everyone accepted, maybe i'll see you next year!
When did you interview?

Hey Andrea,
Did you talk to someone in housing about the possibility of touring the HOVA? Thanks. :)

Hi all! I just found out i was accepted yesterday (i interview on 11/2)! I got the nicest e-mail from my interviewer who said she heard the good news from the dean. Then later when I got home there was the official letter in the mail!!

I'm so excited I cannot contain myself!
:) :) :)

Congrats on GW!!!! Hopefully we all will be classmates!!!:)

Hey everyone, I applied early decision and found out I got in mid September, but I only just now found this forum as I didnt realize I was allowed to go into the allopathic forum now :laugh: good times ahead, I joined the facebook group and im getting around to joining the yahoo group. Hope to see everyone next year!! congrats to everyone.

Anyone know when they send out Financial Aid applications to be filled out? Or do we specifically have to request them?

I think they are going to send the financial aid info to us in a few months.

Welcome to the family!! GW is a wonderful place to be. :love:

Don't live in HOVA, get a real place. :smuggrin:
Try craigslist, it worked for me, and try VA, it's cheaper.

What's wrong with staying in HOVA? Is it really bad?

What's wrong with staying in HOVA? Is it really bad?

Honestly I don't know - I came to GW as a person who had been earning a pay check and living as a regular person paying bills - HOVA sounds like a dorm and I felt like I was over that liestyle, and surely at 30 years old, I couldn't imagine not having a "home" and sharing a kitchen with a hundred other teenagers....but that's just me!

I understand.... I think HOVA is only for graduate students (law, med, and other grad) and upperclassmen in undergrad though. We'll see... at this point everything is an option for me. :)

Hey guys! I just found out today that I'm in! SO excited :)

Just saying hi I guess!

Hello DrMichelle!!! Congrats!!! Welcome to the thread! :)