Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I understand.... I think HOVA is only for graduate students (law, med, and other grad) and upperclassmen in undergrad though. We'll see... at this point everything is an option for me. :)

Congratulations on all of your acceptances. I'm a first year at GW and I actually live in HOVA and I'm really enjoying. At first I thought the kitchen situation would be a problem, but truthfully I don't have time to make elaborate meals so it suits me fine. As for the atmosphere to my knowledge it's all grad students and everyone pretty much keeps to themselves (I too was concerned that it would be a college atmosphere and it's far from that). Convenience, great price, and a private bathroom, I personally think it's a steal. If I were you guys I would try to sign up as it becomes available.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions about HOVA. Is there a long waiting list for it? Also, how is parking around the HOVA? If you have any other info please let me know.:)

Happy New Year Future Classmates!!!!!:love:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

Everyone should join this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GWU2011

I just added a table for people to post info about themselves so people can start looking for potential roommates. Could be a good resource if we all use it.

Hey guys, welcome to the new year!!!!!! On the yahoo group for our incoming class there is a roommates table posted with few questions to see how well people match and i thought you might wanna check it out.

~Andreea

Question to GW students living in HOVA now:

Are they really strict on guest requirements etc? I am really interested in applying, but I have a bf who will visit me once every other month or so for the weekend (2 nights). If I had my own single is anyone gonna care that my bf stays the night once in a blue moon?

They are not strict on the guest policy, I have friends visit all the time and stay over and I have never had a problem.

I have a few questions about HOVA. Is there a long waiting list for it? Also, how is parking around the HOVA? If you have any other info please let me know.:)

Happy New Year
Sorry to respond so late. As far as parking we have a parking lot on the lower levels of the building. I leave my car at home because I think it's expensive, but if you bring your car it's probably your best alternative. As for the waiting list I'm unsure of the length, but you can definetly call gw housing to find out.

Hi friends!

I'm also an MSI living in HOVA. I agree with everything that has been said by the other HOVA kids on this thread. If you can get along without a kitchen, it's an EXCELLENT deal. You won't find anything else in Foggy Bottom for that price, so if you're looking to save some cash, I would suggest it.

Also, I have my car here, and I forget what it works out to be per month... something like 180? I don't know. It's $750 a semester. Honestly, it's expensive, but I save a lot of money buying groceries in Virginia, etc., so I think it's worth it. ;)

Congrats on getting in, guys! You'll love it.

For those living in HOVA now. Do you know if its going to be available for grad students next year? I read of the website FAQ that it might not be, but I'm hoping they are just old answers.

So have they told you guys if they are available for 2007-2008 yet?

Also, are there any current GWU students who live off-campus and take the metro in? How do you like it? Are there ever major delays or closed for bad whether? Do you think its worth saving the money on housing to live far away?

Does any of you have an idea when the financial aid ordeal starts? Thanks!

No I'll probably call the office this week though. Any idea what we are susposed to be receiving?????

Members don't see this ad :)
How much aid goes GWU usually provide? Esp interested in hearing from those GWu students who are already enrolled, do they give out alot of need-based? How much? Also, how much is your cost to attend this year or the avg cost to attend in your opinion (housing, tuition, etc).

THANKS

Wow this fell to the second page!!

Anyway, to whoever asked about when you can apply to HOVA they said they're working out the pricing details now and should release applications online later this month.

Don't you need a GWU ID to apply for housing through the online system? Does anyone have an idea on when we might be receiving those? I'm so paranoid about this HOVA housing. I really want to live there. Everywhere else is just SO expensive.

Yeah HOVA is the best option for me too. I called and one of the housing reps said it will probably be March before we hear anything.

I called financial aid this morning. The rep said we probably will not receive any info until next month.

Does anyone know when we will get immunization forms to fill out? My medical insurance through work may end in April so I want to get it done soon.

Also what is required? Do you just have a doctor sign off that you've had them (shown through titers or records of shots?) or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks in advance to any current students who take the time to answer.

Has anyone heard details about fin aid from current students? Or would any current students mind sharing what they know?

I know they said the average scholarship is like 15k. But I got the impression that that was only out of students who receive scholarships, and I don't remember if they told us how many people do.

So does anyone have any ideas on about where GW puts their income limit for scholarships? I know most schools put it at the 200% poverty line, but I'm hoping that a school with a 60k/year budget puts it a bit higher? So anyone have just a general idea of the maximum where they'll stop considering you? 30k? 40k? 50k? 70k?

hey, you should def call up mr. carpenter, the dean of fin aid. i'm sure he'd be happy to answer all of your questions, especially since you're an accepted student. honestly, i can't answer many questions about aid - i didn't receive any assistance, but i knew that that was going to happen based on my dad's income.

about all the immunization forms, fin aid, etc, that prob won't come until march or so. that's pretty normal for most schools.

Has anyone heard details about fin aid from current students? Or would any current students mind sharing what they know?

I know they said the average scholarship is like 15k. But I got the impression that that was only out of students who receive scholarships, and I don't remember if they told us how many people do.

So does anyone have any ideas on about where GW puts their income limit for scholarships? I know most schools put it at the 200% poverty line, but I'm hoping that a school with a 60k/year budget puts it a bit higher? So anyone have just a general idea of the maximum where they'll stop considering you? 30k? 40k? 50k? 70k?

Bump... gotta stay on page 1 :D

Hey everyone! Congrats to everybody who's been accepted! So I'm still waiting to hear back from GW (it's one of my top 2 choices, so if I get in, there's a good chance I'll go)... but I just wanted to chime in about the living situation in DC.

I live here, and you can definately find good accomodations for less than what you've heard so far. If you try to use Rent.com or something, you won't find anything for less than 1200. But I live in Dupont Circle, a 20 minute walk from campus (and a really nice, safe, fun area with tons of restaurants/bars/shops), and I pay 1000 for a br in a 2 br condo. Craigslist is a really good option, as in the summer tons of people are moving in/out and you can find really good places to live. This summer, I found a grad student who needed a roommate for his 2 br apartment in Dupont Circle, at 21st and New Hampshire (not even a 10 minute walk to the school) for 725 a month. This place had a swimming pool, gym, and drycleaner in the building. If you really want to get dirty and search, you can find places for less than you'd think (for DC, where I'd say 1200 is about average, per person). Studios in places like Flats at Dupont or 2400 M St (really nice apartments) will cost you upwards of 1600, so stay away from those unless you're donald trump. But I found rooms in the 700's in Ballston (Arlington, VA) and Courthouse (Arlington). I just decided on my room in Dupont Circle because the neighborhood is really cool and it's pretty central in DC, so you can get anywhere you want to go pretty quickly.

You can find affordable (relative) housing in DC. PM me if you want more help!

I was wondering if people knew the relevent dates for the start of school in the fall? I'm trying to plan my summer and am trying to figure out when I need to find a place to live by.

Hope you all are well!

Prices for 2007 HOVA are up. $900 a month :(

It sounded so great at $700 for a single. $900 sounds a lot less great.

And there won't be doubles anymore. Guess its back to searching craigslist - $900 is a bit steep for my tastes.

Yeah, $700 for HOVA is pretty good. I expected some increase (maybe $50-75 over last year) but certaintly not $200/month. That doesn't include parking which I think, is around $180/month.

I think I can find a better deal in arlington no problem. They have decent apartments for $700/month.

I have a couple of questions for current students living in HOVA.

What do you do for food? Are you part of the GW Dining program? Is it worth it or is it better to just buy your own food with cash?

Do any of you have a car up there and park it at HOVA? What do you do on breaks and summer? Can you leave it or do you have to take it home (quite a trip for me as I live on the west coast)?

I have a couple of questions for current students living in HOVA.

What do you do for food? Are you part of the GW Dining program? Is it worth it or is it better to just buy your own food with cash?

Do any of you have a car up there and park it at HOVA? What do you do on breaks and summer? Can you leave it or do you have to take it home (quite a trip for me as I live on the west coast)?

I had my car at first and I got slammed with so many parking tickets that it was not feasible to keep it here. I drove it back home. If you want to pay $750 a semester for parking, there is parking available at HOVA. I personally don't find a need for a car living in foggy bottom. I'm sure that will change in my 3rd and 4th year when I'm doing rotations in DC, Maryland and Virginia. By then I plan on moving off campus to somewhere that does offer parking for free (some places in Virginia).

As far as food, I did not bother with the meal plan because there is no particular deal you get (that I'm aware of) for being on the plan. At certain dining locations on campus you can use your card to get food tax free, but I just add money to my card as "debit points" and still get those benefits. Overall I just go to the Safeway across the street from HOVA and do my food shopping there, sometimes there are sales and I save some money.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck.

I had my car at first and I got slammed with so many parking tickets that it was not feasible to keep it here. I drove it back home. If you want to pay $750 a semester for parking, there is parking available at HOVA. I personally don't find a need for a car living in foggy bottom. I'm sure that will change in my 3rd and 4th year when I'm doing rotations in DC, Maryland and Virginia. By then I plan on moving off campus to somewhere that does offer parking for free (some places in Virginia).

As far as food, I did not bother with the meal plan because there is no particular deal you get (that I'm aware of) for being on the plan. At certain dining locations on campus you can use your card to get food tax free, but I just add money to my card as "debit points" and still get those benefits. Overall I just go to the Safeway across the street from HOVA and do my food shopping there, sometimes there are sales and I save some money.

Hope this helps.
Good Luck.

Awesome! Thanks so much!

I wish I could join you all in the accepted plannings. It really seems like good fun. I just got my waitlist letter today from GW. I was disappointed b.c GW is in my top 2 schools (and would def. be top 1 if it were not for the tuition). I will certainly write the adcom a letter of update/interest in the near future and hopefully check back with you friendly folks later. Congratulations to you all!!:D

Anyone know when we will hear anything about fin. aid from GWU? Also, what can we expect? Alot of loans or is GWU pretty generous with grants/scholarships considering its high cost?

Anyone know when we will hear anything about fin. aid from GWU? Also, what can we expect? Alot of loans or is GWU pretty generous with grants/scholarships considering its high cost?

They said on interview day that the average need-based scholarship is 15k. But I think thats out of the people that receive any aid at all.

But they made it sound like they really do try to give out a lot of money. But its all need-based so you and your parents can't be doing really well or you'll end up with nothing.

I wonder what the cut off figure (both student and parents) is for receiving need-based aid.

Question for anyone that currently goes to GWU:

What percentage of your classmates live outside the Foggy Bottom-Arlington-Rosslyn - Dupont Circle area (basically 10-15 minutes metro ride). My student interviewer lived in Vienna and commutes in everyday and I met someone else from GWU who lived in Rockville and did it all 4 years. Are there a handful or is it more like 15-20% of the students who do this?

Thanks.

I wonder what the cut off figure (both student and parents) is for receiving need-based aid.

Me too. Its almost March though - guess we'll all know soon enough.

Question for anyone that currently goes to GWU:

What percentage of your classmates live outside the Foggy Bottom-Arlington-Rosslyn - Dupont Circle area (basically 10-15 minutes metro ride). My student interviewer lived in Vienna and commutes in everyday and I met someone else from GWU who lived in Rockville and did it all 4 years. Are there a handful or is it more like 15-20% of the students who do this?

Thanks.

i'd say 15% or so would be accurate (when you're talking further out - past arlington). when you talk about arlington, students don't just live in rosslyn - they also live in ballston, clarendon, courthouse, etc. they're all relatively close via the metro. students who live in virginia also live in pentagon city and crystal city which are quick metro trips as well. i'd say relatively fewer people live out past arlington - maybe some in falls church, even less all the way out in vienna, fairfax, etc (that's pretty far!). people who live far out in virginia are usually the ones who are married or older or who might have kids, etc. i don't know many people living in maryland. i think it might be more expensive to live in maryland as opposed to virginia because the towns that are closest are pretty ritzy - bethesda, chevy chase, etc. just my guess though. a number of students live in other parts of dc too - georgetown, dupont, adams morgan, capitol hill, etc. a few also live out in NE and SE - it's cheaper but further away, and those areas are usually less safe than ones in NW. if i had to guess, i'd say at least 40-50% of the students in our class live in foggy bottom. prob the next largest percentage in rosslyn/courthouse/clarendon region. hopefully that was helpful.

Medstylee, your response was definitely a big help. Thanks for all your help and information you have provided to me and everyone on this thread.

Medstylee, your response was definitely a big help. Thanks for all your help and information you have provided to me and everyone on this thread.

hey no prob, glad to help. we had a meeting about orientation for you guys the other day. and there will be a committee that will try and organize some sort of housing list for you guys, mostly consisting of postings by other med students who will be moving out of their apartments and stuff like that. obviously, i wouldnt rely completely on that, but it will be an extra resource aside from craigslist, etc. for you guys planning to attend, youve got a lot to look forward to - orientation is great (as is school, of course!).

hey no prob, glad to help. we had a meeting about orientation for you guys the other day. and there will be a committee that will try and organize some sort of housing list for you guys, mostly consisting of postings by other med students who will be moving out of their apartments and stuff like that. obviously, i wouldnt rely completely on that, but it will be an extra resource aside from craigslist, etc. for you guys planning to attend, youve got a lot to look forward to - orientation is great (as is school, of course!).

Any mention of exactly when orientation will be? They don't have it listed on the website yet, and I'm trying to plan my summer.

Any mention of exactly when orientation will be? They don't have it listed on the website yet, and I'm trying to plan my summer.

i believe dean goldberg said that orientation would begin on august 22 and classes will begin on august 27. i'm guessing that white coat will be saturday, aug 25. that's how it worked for us (white coat the sat before classes began).

Just got the financial aid info over email. There is a part of the email that says:

Now is the time to begin the application process for financial aid, if you have not already started. You should complete your FAFSA/renewal application immediately. Our institutional FAFSA and college code numbers respectively are E00197 and 5280

Whats the college code number? When I submitted my FAFSA I sent it to the E00197 number. Do I need to resubmit with this college code number???

Also!!!

The office will send estimated awards for GW-based aid beginning in May, and award notification will be sent in June!

WTF?!?! I thought all schools sent out their financial aid stuff by like March so that we could make up our minds!

Anyone who is currently a student at GW know if this is an accurate estimate of the time line?! Waiting til' May seems like its pushing it!