Official George Washington University Class of 2011 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed and called them before leaving the country for over a month and when i returned i found an email saying that i need to send in my license agreement by April 24th if i want a room in HOVA. When i first contacted them there was nothing on the web saying that there are no available rooms in HOVA.

Sorry i can't help more. Hope it will work out.

Yeah, I originally contacted them in January to see when the applications would come up, they told me they would let everyone know before it did.

I checked the website daily and it jumped from "Applications for new students will be available soon" to "there are no spaces available in HOVA." I then contacted them in early April to see about additional space and was told there would be none and I should look at off-campus housing.

I'm pretty annoyed that I was lied to, since HOVA is really the only cheap living available in Foggy Bottom.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty annoyed that I was lied to, since HOVA is really the only cheap living available in Foggy Bottom.

I don't know if you were necessarily lied to, because there is no reason for them to treat us differently, so maybe you could call them and ask if there are spaces still available and what happened exactly, why some people got it and others didn't. Sorry it happened this way.

Hi everyone,

Congrats on starting at GW in the fall. I am finishing up my second year, and am looking for a male roommate to share a 1 bedroom apartment in Foggy Bottom, in a building called the Claridge House, two blocks from school (25th and K street). My apartment has been recently renovated and has a new kitchen and bathroom. Its also fully furnished. My current roommate is moving out soon and his room will be available in June. I can send pics if anyone is interested. Rent is $850/mo, and includes all utilities, except cable and internet. Let me know at [email protected] if you are interested and we can talk more about it.

Amar

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. Congrats on all who are going to GW in the fall! I'm coming for a transfer interview at the end of May (for admission into the 3rd year.) I was just wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on the interview process? I'm coming from England, so I don't really know what to expect! Also, if any current students see this and know anyone who has experienced this, and has any hints, that would be great! Thanks! It might ease my nerves! :confused:

Hey Julie,

I have an interview for 3rd year transfer at the end of May, so I guess we're in the same boat. I don't know much about the process, other than that it's a good sign that we got a interview. Last year they didn't have any open positions so no one got accepted. Because they are interviewing the two of us, maybe it's safe to assume that they intend to take new transfer students. I wonder how many spaces they have and how many other they are interviewing. Good luck with your interview in a couple weeks! If you have any questions about DC, feel free to email me at [email protected] (I live here already so I'm pretty familiar with the area).

Beth

Thanks Beth!! Good luck to you and I hope it goes well! :luck:

Beth where are you transferring from?

I'm hoping to transfer from Jefferson Medical College in Philly. My husband and I moved to DC in September for his new job, and I've been a frequent Amtrak traveler ever since. Obviously, the commuting won't work out next year during clerkships. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for GW. I could finally feel settled in DC, and at a great school too!

Beth

Hey all,
Anyone receive housing assignments yet?:)

I got my estimated offer but not the official one yet. They said something this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

I am a current first year med student at GW in search of a roommate. I currently live in a 2 story, 2 bedroom, 1 bath townhouse in Alexandria, about a 5-10 minute walk to the Braddock Road metro station (which is on the Blue line). The travel time from my front porch to Ross Hall for me is about 30 minutes (which was too long for my current roommate, thus the reason I'm currently searching).

The rent is $750 a month, and utilities usually run about $150 a month on top of that. It's in a great section of town, parking is super cheap. Same price as Hova, but you'll get a whole lot more!

I have a full listing on craigslist: http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/roo/329635329.html

Send me a PM or contact me through craigslist if you might be interested!

Thanks everyone, and good luck with everything! Enjoy your summer while it lasts.

---

Hey everyone~

Just got the acceptance call this morning and I'm overly excited!!! But, I just need some information from anyone who would help. I'm pretty desperate because I'm on a huge time constraint. I'm holding a spot at another school and tomorrow is the deadline to pick 1 school. However, I have no idea what's going on with financial aid at GW. I am all set at my other school.

GW- based aid, to my understanding is scholarships and "in-house" loans right? So, how do we apply for subsidized and unsubsidized loans that total about ~$38,0000??? Do the applications go through GW? I know everyone is probably waiting for their financial aid package right now, so any help on clarification would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance:)

Hey everyone~

Just got the acceptance call this morning and I'm overly excited!!! But, I just need some information from anyone who would help. I'm pretty desperate because I'm on a huge time constraint. I'm holding a spot at another school and tomorrow is the deadline to pick 1 school. However, I have no idea what's going on with financial aid at GW. I am all set at my other school.

GW- based aid, to my understanding is scholarships and "in-house" loans right? So, how do we apply for subsidized and unsubsidized loans that total about ~$38,0000??? Do the applications go through GW? I know everyone is probably waiting for their financial aid package right now, so any help on clarification would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance:)

If money is a huge factor call the financial aid office and ask to speak to the director - he can help you. He was great to me.

Basically you apply through GW - send them these forms they ask for:

Dear Incoming GW Medical Students,

We are now ready to start the 2007/2008 financial aid process effective Thursday, April 5, 2007. Please read this email carefully and follow the steps carefully and the process will flow smoothly for you. Also note that there is NO application deadline for incoming students but you are encouraged to complete the process promptly to allow us to extend your aid offer before your decision dates.

First, complete your FAFSA application (if you have not yet done so).

Second, visit the following link for the application checklist. Select ONLY the checklist option that fits the type of aid that you will apply for, either GW Institutional aid or Federal loans only and print off that form. Provide that specific information the checklist requires to our office promptly. http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/checklist_index.htm

Third, visit our website to view the 2007/2008 financial aid budgets to assist you in determining the amount of aid that you may need.

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/budget.htm

Fourth, visit the On-line Application (see link below) and use your ssn and date of birth as your id and password. [The application available for use beginning April 5th. If you have difficulties in entering the application please contact me.] At the end of the application there is a link to the Electronic GW Supplemental Application that you will also need to complete.
http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/application.html

Fifth, complete the Electronic GW Supplemental Application available at the end of the On-line Application. You will need to create a NEW id and password to enter this application.

Sixth, review the attached letter about selecting a lender for the coming year. Also, view the link below to visit our frequently used lender chart that details program highlights and terms (You are free to use any lender you wish.)

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/frame/premier_compare.html

Finally, follow any further instructions that we provide.

Thanks and welcome to the 2007/2008 academic year!

Chuck Carpenter
Med Financial Aid

And submit all the forms to the office. (FAFSA, 2 online applications and submit your and your parents 1040s, W-2s etc)

They take it all and offer you a financial aid package. They told me that whatever GW based aid you get its ON AVERAGE 70% scholarships and 30% institutional based loans, the rest is 8500 sub staffords, 30,000 unsub staffords and whatever is left in Grad Plus loans.

Good luck.

Hey everyone~

I agree with alwaysaangel...Call the financial assistance office and let them walk you through it step by step. You will be able to get the money you need, and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

I was just as worried about money last year as you are now, but I can assure you that now that I look back on it, there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

Thank you both!!!

Welcome to those coming off of the waitlist - and congrats!

Has anyone heard anything about orientation/start of classes? The last I heard was that orientation started on the 22nd of August, but was just wondering if anyone had gotten some more specific information.

I've signed up, paid the deposit, and turned down the other options. I'll be seeing you all in Foggy Bottom in August!

Good Deal!!!! I have also committed to GW. So I'll be there in the fall as well!!!!!!! :love:

classes definitely start on Monday, Aug 27. So, if it's like last year, then orientation will start the previous Wednesday, which is Aug 22. Orientation will be tiring, but a lot of fun. We're trying to plan a real good one for you guys. Enjoy your summers.

Welcome to those coming off of the waitlist - and congrats!

Has anyone heard anything about orientation/start of classes? The last I heard was that orientation started on the 22nd of August, but was just wondering if anyone had gotten some more specific information.

Congrats everyone on here!

I interviewed late october and got waitlisted and have been eagerly awaiting that magical phone call ever since! Really hoping to hear something this week or next as people turn down GW due to the May 15th deadline. If I get that call, I'm committed.

For those that got in off of the waitlist, did it mostly happen post-May 15th? And if so, how long afterwards?

Thanks and congrats again everyone!

Can any of the current GW students here tell us whether we have access to a gym/fitness center type thing on campus?

Thanks

When is everyone making the big move to DC? I'm searching all kinds of internet engines and sites for apartments...I can't believe how expensive it is to live here! Oh well. It's worth it!

Hey All,
Does GW has a Big Sibling program?
:love:

Yes, we do get access to the Gym and Yes GW does have a Big Sib program. Also Yes IT IS WORTH IT!!!

Anyone got their housing assignment? In case you didn't, check your gwu email.....I'm in 813 - any of you my neighbors? :)

So wait, have most people already received their GWU email?

Aside from the financial aid and paying the first deposit, I have neither sent nor received anything from them.

Hey Andreea,
I'm 417 in HOVA. So you have the penthouse suite??!!!? Nice!!!! :)

Always- We had to get GW email early because GW housing wouldn't release our room assignments to our personal email.

:love:

For those of you receiving financial aid...
When did you receive your overage checks?:love:

For those of you receiving financial aid...
When did you receive your overage checks?:love:

are you talking about the auto-refund? if you are going to be getting an auto-refund from the difference between your loans and the tuition, you won't get that until the first week of classes in late august. i'm not sure if that's what you're talking about, though.

Thanks Medstylee!!! That's exactly what I was referring to. :)

Thanks Medstylee!!! That's exactly what I was referring to. :)

isn't that a bummer!? how the hell are we supposed to pay for august rent if we don't have our money yet?

i think you asked about big sibs too, phd, right? you guys definitely get a big sib - we just had a meeting for it the other day. most people who choose to be big sibs are very helpful. the one i had this year was great - he gave me a bunch of old exams and a few textbooks. hope you guys are enjoying your summers. see you in august. i'm off to my LAST final (thank god).

I'm glad that the Big Sib program is really good!! :)

For those who aren't living in HOVA...have you found any apts yet? Everything on craigslist starts on July 1st and I really can't justify wasting a month's rent when I'm not even going to be in the apartment! I'm crossing my fingers that apartments close to school will still be available for an Aug 1st move-in date:)

yeah, you'll have to wait until july or maybe late june to find many places advertised with aug 1 leases. but, at that time, there will be plenty. i guess that's just the way it works in dc - apartments go very quickly, so owners don't have to advertise their rentals very far in advance.

For those who aren't living in HOVA...have you found any apts yet? Everything on craigslist starts on July 1st and I really can't justify wasting a month's rent when I'm not even going to be in the apartment! I'm crossing my fingers that apartments close to school will still be available for an Aug 1st move-in date:)

Hey guys, i have not applied for financial aid during undergrad, so i don't even know how to properly read the financial aid award (the estimate) that was sent to me. Could you please help me out? Does the GWU-aid mean like loan or grant? Thanks so much. I really wish i knew more about this. :)
~Andreea

Hey guys, i have not applied for financial aid during undergrad, so i don't even know how to properly read the financial aid award (the estimate) that was sent to me. Could you please help me out? Does the GWU-aid mean like loan or grant? Thanks so much. I really wish i knew more about this. :)
~Andreea

Look at the bottom of the award - it says that generally 70% of GWU aid is grants and 30% is institutional based loans.

Which lender did people pick for their Master Promiss Note? Just to clarify, if I only want stafford loan and dont plan on taking out private loans this year, I still need to fill this out and pick a lender?

Thats what the fin office told me but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.

Which lender did people pick for their Master Promiss Note? Just to clarify, if I only want stafford loan and dont plan on taking out private loans this year, I still need to fill this out and pick a lender?

Thats what the fin office told me but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.
Yeah Stafford loans are backed by the government but still come from a lender. I picked B of A. Not one of the recommended lenders but the bonuses worked best for me.

Yeah Stafford loans are backed by the government but still come from a lender. I picked B of A. Not one of the recommended lenders but the bonuses worked best for me.

Isn't the rate for stafford loans fixed at 6.8% so where does it matter whom you pick? Or are you taking about the other bonuses that come with each lender? The rates listed on the compare document that the fin aid office provides is only for private loans but the other bonuses are still valid if you take a stafford loan with each of those companies, right?

Or am I way off?

Thanks.

Isn't the rate for stafford loans fixed at 6.8% so where does it matter whom you pick? Or are you taking about the other bonuses that come with each lender? The rates listed on the compare document that the fin aid office provides is only for private loans but the other bonuses are still valid if you take a stafford loan with each of those companies, right?

Or am I way off?

Thanks.

Yeah its fixed, I'm talking about the bonuses. And I honestly don't remember what the list they gave us looked like. I did this months ago. Most companies have bonuses for both private and stafford loans, but no they're not always the same. Are you sure there isn't a list comparing the Stafford part of the loans too?

Did anyone receive their official award letter from the financial aid office? I only received an estimate from Mr. Carpenter and on the letter it says I will receive an official award a week later but it has been 2 weeks and I have not received anything. Thanks.

Did anyone receive their official award letter from the financial aid office? I only received an estimate from Mr. Carpenter and on the letter it says I will receive an official award a week later but it has been 2 weeks and I have not received anything. Thanks.

I got my estimate on 4/30 and was told actual offers should be out in a week. And I still haven't gotten anything.

Any current students want to give us MS0s an idea of what "supplies" we'll need for first year?

I have a birthday coming up and figured I could knock out a few things with that - since I don't really need anything else.

So what books and supplies would you say are a necessity or they're gonna make us buy first year anyway? Stethoscope? Neurohammer? USMLE first aid?

Hey,
Good questions Always! :)