Official DMU Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- Great Disc Golf - many courses ( http://www.dsmdiscgolf.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=mainpage )
- I am more into Mt Bike (& there are trails), but a lot of people road bike...if you are really in to road bike check this out....( http://www.ragbrai.org/ )

The disk golf in DSM looks awesome, anyone else a fellow disk golfer? Also is anyone into rifles and shotguns? Since you guys where talking abput tennis courts, I know there is one by my house in a park , but its on the east side.

Members don't see this ad.

The disk golf in DSM looks awesome, anyone else a fellow disk golfer? Also is anyone into rifles and shotguns? Since you guys where talking abput tennis courts, I know there is one by my house in a park , but its on the east side.

I played occasionally in college. It's a nice way to spend a Saturday morning, especially if the course is nice and scenic.

My roommate (a DO '10) and I are also thinking about looking for a third roommate. We've found some great houses with 3 bedrooms, but there's no way we can afford them with just the two of us. We are both female, 24, non-smokers, extremely light drinkers (seriously, the last alcoholic beverage I had was almost 3-4 months ago - doesn't mean I don't drink, just not very often), clean, quiet (except for the occasional donkey konga, mario kart, or karaoke revolution party to relieve stress), and fun-loving. Also, my roommate has a cat named Lucky who will be living with us.

If you are interested in joining us in a housing search, please PM me!
too bad i'm afraid of cats...something about their reflective eyes and sharp claws!

i can't believe you have mario kart and donkey konga. can i come play at your house? i even have my own set of bongos! HAHAHAHHA

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is the most appropriate forum for posting this, but if I am wrong, please let me know.

A couple days ago, I was accepted to DMU off their alternate list. My initial reaction was that of ecstasy, since it was my first acceptance and it came so late in the game, not to mention that DMU was also my first choice, having fallen in love with the school when I visited in January for the interview.

However, I am unsure about the whole medicine thing right now. I applied to about 10 schools (all D.O.) and had a few interviews but ended up with only one waitlist to show for. After my last rejection, I was so sure that I wouldn't get in anywhere. I talked to some students at DMU and they were like, "Don't give up hope but be prepared to reapply for the next year." They were being nice about it, but I could tell my chances of getting in this year were very slim. So I started planning for next year, certainly not expecting DMU to take me.

As I was applying for jobs and renewing my apartment lease and getting ready to apply to medical schools yet again, someone asked me, "Why are you trying so hard to be a doctor?" Then I realized that I didn't know why. It sounds really bad saying it, but I never truly knew why I wanted to be a doctor. All along, I just went it with it, thinking "Eh, I'll figure it out when I am in med school." Now that I have given it some serious thought, I don't think that's such a good idea.

Does anyone know the deferment policy for DMU? I am hesitant to ask directly b/c I am afraid they will rescind my acceptance offer. I do not mind losing the $1000 deposit. (Sure, it's a lot of money but what is $1000 in the grand scheme of things?) Just to make it clear, I have ZERO intention of going anywhere else. If they won't let me defer, then I will definitely go to DMU this year. I don't want to re-apply b/c DMU is definitely the place I'd go if I were to go to medical school at all. I just prefer to have more time to think about and make sure medicine is what I want to do. I don't want to start medical school only to realize that medicine is not for me.

Thank you for reading this long post. Any inputs would be appreciated.

too bad i'm afraid of cats...something about their reflective eyes and sharp claws!

i can't believe you have mario kart and donkey konga. can i come play at your house? i even have my own set of bongos! HAHAHAHHA

That's great! I only have three sets... we'll need a fourth! Here's to study breaks :banana:

Now if only I had the Wii... no!... must resist... need... to buy... augh! ;)

Does anyone know the deferment policy for DMU? I am hesitant to ask directly b/c I am afraid they will rescind my acceptance offer. I do not mind losing the $1000 deposit. (Sure, it's a lot of money but what is $1000 in the grand scheme of things?) Just to make it clear, I have ZERO intention of going anywhere else. If they won't let me defer, then I will definitely go to DMU this year. I don't want to re-apply b/c DMU is definitely the place I'd go if I were to go to medical school at all. I just prefer to have more time to think about and make sure medicine is what I want to do. I don't want to start medical school only to realize that medicine is not for me.

Wow... I don't envy you one bit. That's exactly the reason I took two years off before applying to med school. I wanted to be absolutely sure I was making the right decision about my career before I got accepted somewhere.

The only suggestion I have is to contact the Enrollment Management Office and see if they can put you in contact with any current students. That way you don't have to ask an admissions person directly if you don't want to. (albeit I would just suck it up and do so, as they are obviously the most knowledgable about these kinds of things)

(By the way, I don't think they will take back their offer if you just ask.)

Good luck!:oops:

That's great! I only have three sets... we'll need a fourth! Here's to study breaks :banana:

Now if only I had the Wii... no!... must resist... need... to buy... augh! ;)

Problem solved - I have a Wii.

Anyone else get their free t-shirt from admissions today?

After talking to my gf i've decided to attend DMU this coming fall. I am so excited about attending this great school. After getting waitlisted in Oct I all but lost hope in attending DMU. But luckily for me, they reconsidered my application and I will be joining you guys this fall. I look forward to meeting all of you. Thanks to everyone in the beginning when I first got waitlisted with all their support. Man i'm stoked again about DMU and you guys will see me more often now on the DMU class of 2011 thread.

PS
I forgot who plays Halo but get ready for it Sept 25. Yay!!!!!!!!

I think this is the most appropriate forum for posting this, but if I am wrong, please let me know.

A couple days ago, I was accepted to DMU off their alternate list. My initial reaction was that of ecstasy, since it was my first acceptance and it came so late in the game, not to mention that DMU was also my first choice, having fallen in love with the school when I visited in January for the interview.

However, I am unsure about the whole medicine thing right now. I applied to about 10 schools (all D.O.) and had a few interviews but ended up with only one waitlist to show for. After my last rejection, I was so sure that I wouldn't get in anywhere. I talked to some students at DMU and they were like, "Don't give up hope but be prepared to reapply for the next year." They were being nice about it, but I could tell my chances of getting in this year were very slim. So I started planning for next year, certainly not expecting DMU to take me.

As I was applying for jobs and renewing my apartment lease and getting ready to apply to medical schools yet again, someone asked me, "Why are you trying so hard to be a doctor?" Then I realized that I didn't know why. It sounds really bad saying it, but I never truly knew why I wanted to be a doctor. All along, I just went it with it, thinking "Eh, I'll figure it out when I am in med school." Now that I have given it some serious thought, I don't think that's such a good idea.

Wow, that's tough. Where are the 2010'ers on this topic? Jbone knows all and is always eager to help out, I'd suggest maybe pm'ing him to see if he has heard of similar cases or wait for him or another 2010'er to see this post.

Problem solved - I have a Wii.

Anyone else get their free t-shirt from admissions today?

Haha that's great, I should've guessed you to be one to own a Wii.

I have one too! What games do you play most? I'm about 90% through TP and still love golf, bowling, and esp. tennis on Wii Sports. Can't wait for Smash Bros. Brawl and online play.

Btw....any mario kart tourneys for me to win ? heehee:cool:

sorry for three posts in a row but I talked to Financial aid the other day and they told me that we should be getting our award notifications sometime around the 2nd to 3rd week in June

Haha that's great, I should've guessed you to be one to own a Wii.

I have one too! What games do you play most? I'm about 90% through TP and still love golf, bowling, and esp. tennis on Wii Sports. Can't wait for Smash Bros. Brawl and online play.

TP is awesome! You'll love the ending. I got the Wii and TP on release night and played TP for about 6 hours a day the first week I had it. Right now I'm on level 5 of Super Paper Mario, which I highly recommend. It's the prefect throwback to oldschool Mario side-scrollers. Wario Smooth Moves is really a blast with a large group of people. Trauma Center is really fun too, especially if you just want to play a game for 15 mins and feel like you've made progress.
I'm defintely stoked about SSB, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Corruption, Guitar Hero 3, etc... My wife is really excited about Wii Boogie and the new Dance Dance Revolution. I'm really excited about the online game play that's coming. I hope Metroid utilizes it.

See? Now this is why I want to buy a Wii. My friend brought a Wii over for a weekend and I totally got hooked on TP and Tennis (obviously). I have Trauma Center for the DS and you're right. It is a great game to play for about 15 minutes or so. If the DS game is fun, it must be even more so on the Wii!

(OK guys, this is REALLY not good! I'm trying to tell myself NOT to buy one, not find more reasons to hunt one down! ;) )

We'll see about that. I have a N64 & Gamecube, with both versions of Mario Kart. I guess we'll have another set of events to plan when we get to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
See? Now this is why I want to buy a Wii. My friend brought a Wii over for a weekend and I totally got hooked on TP and Tennis (obviously). I have Trauma Center for the DS and you're right. It is a great game to play for about 15 minutes or so. If the DS game is fun, it must be even more so on the Wii!

(OK guys, this is REALLY not good! I'm trying to tell myself NOT to buy one, not find more reasons to hunt one down! ;) )

We'll see about that. I have a N64 & Gamecube, with both versions of Mario Kart. I guess we'll have another set of events to plan when we get to school.

Even more of a reason to buy a Wii - you can play all Gamecube games on the Wii.

Let me know if you get one and we can play Wii tennis. I have a wicked backhand
(this is the TRUE solution to finding that indoor tennis court)

Hi NE,

I'm in the DO-09 class but maybe I can help out. First, no one can tell you what you should do, but let me tell you that med school is so time/life consuming that you need to be "in it" 100%. This doesn't mean that you need to be 100% sure what specialty you want to go into, but you do need to know that you want to be a physician. If you need a reminder, go shadow someone in your area (that always worked for me).

About deferment...I interviewed students for admissions during my first two years here, but I never was asked this question. I do, however have a suggestion; ask your question anonymously. When you call, ask for Jamie Rehmann or someone else in admissions & just ask your question. I don't think there is any reason you should have to name yourself.

Good luck making your decision,
~Kritter

Hi NE,

I'm in the DO-09 class but maybe I can help out. First, no one can tell you what you should do, but let me tell you that med school is so time/life consuming that you need to be "in it" 100%. This doesn't mean that you need to be 100% sure what specialty you want to go into, but you do need to know that you want to be a physician. If you need a reminder, go shadow someone in your area (that always worked for me).

About deferment...I interviewed students for admissions during my first two years here, but I never was asked this question. I do, however have a suggestion; ask your question anonymously. When you call, ask for Jamie Rehmann or someone else in admissions & just ask your question. I don't think there is any reason you should have to name yourself.

Good luck making your decision,
~Kritter

I think even you say who you are, they still can not take your acceptance away. You just want to know what options you may have to make an important decision in life. Only if you're on the waitlist, then that's a whole different story. Good luck with your decision NE!:luck:

The most direct person to talk to would be Dr. Hills, although I'm not sure if she would be the first person that you should talk to. Motivation is a LARGE part of your success here at DMU, you could be the smartest person in class, but without motivation, you might not even pass your first exam. When it comes down to it, it's a lot of hard work...and a lot of times, the only thing you have to fall back upon is your strong will to get through this.

If you have had any patient experience, I don't think you should wait any longer on your acceptance. Now, its just a matter of being honest to yourself, and that does not mean you should take a year off. Have some confidence in yourself and the choices you've made, you've come a long way....& finally...congrats on your acceptance!! :thumbup:

Hello everyone! I was just accepted to DMU off the alternate list. Just put down the 1k deposit, so I guess now I am officially a member of the great DMU class of 2011. Yay! :)

I still haven't received anything in the mail (only the e-mail saying that I got in). I know that I have to go through a background check, but what else do I have to worry about?

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hello everyone! I was just accepted to DMU off the alternate list. Just put down the 1k deposit, so I guess now I am officially a member of the great DMU class of 2011. Yay! :)

I still haven't received anything in the mail (only the e-mail saying that I got in). I know that I have to go through a background check, but what else do I have to worry about?

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Hey Figaro doesn't it feel great to be pulled off the waitlist. Were you planning on attending another school before getting the good news? I was planning on going to AZCOM before this past week. Now i'm set for DMU. Besides the depost and background, you have to submit any transcripts by some date I can't remember. Plus you have to finish your undergrad degree prior to the start of school. In addition, you have to get an updated list of your immunizations. I think we'll get all this info when our letter arrives in the mail. Great to hear the good news and i'll see you at DMU in August.

Hey Figaro doesn't it feel great to be pulled off the waitlist. Were you planning on attending another school before getting the good news? I was planning on going to AZCOM before this past week. Now i'm set for DMU. Besides the depost and background, you have to submit any transcripts by some date I can't remember. Plus you have to finish your undergrad degree prior to the start of school. In addition, you have to get an updated list of your immunizations. I think we'll get all this info when our letter arrives in the mail. Great to hear the good news and i'll see you at DMU in August.

Hey whatdapho, yeah I can't describe this awesome feeling. I was also accepted at KCOM and KCUMB, but DMU was def. the place I wanted to go. Thanks for the information. Also, do you know what our housing options are? Ideally, I'd like to live w/in walking distance to the campus.

I called about this. Basically you write a letter to the dean explaining why you're requesting deferment, and they will respond with an 'okay' or 'not okay'. They were nice about it on the phone. They asked who it was, I told them it didn't matter because I wasn't asking for deferment I just wanted to know the policy. They were fine with that.

My mother passed away this week, after 5 1/2 weeks of hell in the ICU, following an allergic reaction to contrast dye for a CT scan and subsequent shock, and then multi-organ failure. Not only is the idea of going to school, and moving away from home out of my scope right now, but my confidence in medicine has been entirely shaken.

I'm so sorry, Orthodoc. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

I don't mean to poke fun at anyone, but I just came across a post on the pre-allo board that I thought was hilarious. This post, to me, exemplifies the "I know science but nothing else" types that I try to not associate with pre-allos (but can't help doing! hehehehe)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=405936

I'm so sorry, Orthodoc. I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you. This is harder than I ever imagined. All of you that are lucky enough to still have your mom (and/or dad) around, make sure they know you love & value them, often. You'll miss having the chance one day, and there's a chance it will happen before you think it will. Trust me on that.

I don't mean to poke fun at anyone, but I just came across a post on the pre-allo board that I thought was hilarious. This post, to me, exemplifies the "I know science but nothing else" types that I try to not associate with pre-allos (but can't help doing! hehehehe)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=405936

:lol: So true!

My mother passed away this week, after 5 1/2 weeks of hell in the ICU, following an allergic reaction to contrast dye for a CT scan and subsequent shock, and then multi-organ failure. Not only is the idea of going to school, and moving away from home out of my scope right now, but my confidence in medicine has been entirely shaken.

Thank you. This is harder than I ever imagined. All of you that are lucky enough to still have your mom (and/or dad) around, make sure they know you love & value them, often. You'll miss having the chance one day, and there's a chance it will happen before you think it will. Trust me on that.

That type of news is enough to shake even the most stalwart physician.

Definitely take this time and spend it with your family and friends. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers, OrthoDoc, and I'm sure the rest of our future classmates feel the same way. We will help support you in anyway we can.

I agree with what you said about those of us who are lucky enough to still have one/both of our parents. My father is slowly entering renal failure (he has an autoimmune kidney disease) and I am always afraid of receiving that phone call. Every time I call or see him I make sure to say how much I love him. I am so close to my dad and don't want to think about the day when he is no longer here, even though I know it will one day happen.

Welcome to the class whatdapho and Figaro! :D

Orthodoc, my prayers are with you and your family. This is one of the toughest times in our life to lose the one we dearly love. I don't know how I would handle that when it's my parents' turn. Reading your post made me so worry about my mom's upcoming surgery to remove her tumor. :(

Thank you for letting us, your future classmates, to share this loss with you. It is so true that we DMU-ians are a great big family.

Ortho, sorry to hear about your mom.

In other bad news, my place of employment burned to the ground over the weekend. I get to finish my last month of work salvaging what I can of my in-laws' business. Kind of like Office Space, only we have no idea why the place burned.

Question for you guys: On the home page of our portal, can anyone access the dress standards? I click where it says "Click here to view DMU's policy on dress standards", and -- the page won't come up. If it's not just me, could any 2010ers give us an idea of DMU's policy?

Question for you guys: On the home page of our portal, can anyone access the dress standards? I click where it says "Click here to view DMU's policy on dress standards", and -- the page won't come up. If it's not just me, could any 2010ers give us an idea of DMU's policy?

I could access it before I think.Let me try it again and I'll email it to you if I can.

Orthodoc40, sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully you can still make it out to DMU because you seem like a great person and it would be a loss to our class to not have a person like you.

On other pressing notes, have you guys found a place to live?? I'm strongly considering Olde English Village which isn't too far from campus. It's hard to look for apts when you're 1800 miles away in CA and don't have the money to fly out and see apts.
I'm getting excited about the upcoming school year. I can't wait to make the 1800 mi road trip. We're making 4 stops in 3 states. It's going to be fun. Anyone else making such a long road trip from CA. Ok i'm just getting exciting about going to medical school, despite how it's going to kick my arse. See you guys in July/Aug. Maybe we can all meet up for some grub before orientation. I read La Pizza House has the best sausage pizza and onion rings in Iowa.:)

sign me up for the pizza and onion rings! i'll be there *grins*

I have an old friend who lives at the Old English Village. I've been there once, and it's nice and seems like a good place.

I only have a 250 mile drive and I won't be stopping at all on the way! :D

Btw, I'm in for pizza, as long as I can make it "Pizza, onion rings, & Beer"

Orthodoc40, sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully you can still make it out to DMU because you seem like a great person and it would be a loss to our class to not have a person like you.

On other pressing notes, have you guys found a place to live?? I'm strongly considering Olde English Village which isn't too far from campus. It's hard to look for apts when you're 1800 miles away in CA and don't have the money to fly out and see apts.
I'm getting excited about the upcoming school year. I can't wait to make the 1800 mi road trip. We're making 4 stops in 3 states. It's going to be fun. Anyone else making such a long road trip from CA. Ok i'm just getting exciting about going to medical school, despite how it's going to kick my arse. See you guys in July/Aug. Maybe we can all meet up for some grub before orientation. I read La Pizza House has the best sausage pizza and onion rings in Iowa.:)

I've "Pizza, onion rings, & Beer"

That's all you have to say. I'm assuming all of us will be of drinking age. I know I will...I think it's better to say Pizza, onion rings, and pitchers of Beer. Of course we have to drink responsibly, we are going to be doctors;)

I will drive from California to Des Moines in July and that will be the farthest :thumbup: luckily, we will make it like a roadtrip to visit some national parks.

anyone know if the military will move for HPSP recipient?

Hey lovable, where in CA are you from. My gf and I are also making a roadtrip out of our drive to des moines. We're heading to SLC, Denver, and St Louis before heading to des moines. R u renting a truck?? Just curious on how you are packing up and moving to des moines. man i'm going to miss CA weather.:(

Hey lovable, where in CA are you from. My gf and I are also making a roadtrip out of our drive to des moines. We're heading to SLC, Denver, and St Louis before heading to des moines. R u renting a truck?? Just curious on how you are packing up and moving to des moines. man i'm going to miss CA weather.:(

If any of you rent a truck, go with penske. when I moved my family out from AZ, it was 1/3 of the cost of what u-haul was going to give me. Compare and save yourself some $.

I'm about to embark on my 1000mi road trip from TX on Mon. Today's the last day of work for me!! Lazy days ahead...can't wait! :D

Pizza + Beer = :love:

I'll be leaving southern CA near the end of July. I'm not quite sure how we would go but preferably we will stop by Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, and few other national parks to visit. We're planning to spend one full week for the trip. I will use my car and carry as little as I could ( warm clothes are all i need :D). I'm going to miss CA weather even more than you since i'm from the south, the best weather ever with many beautiful beaches :(

I'm going to miss CA weather even more than you since i'm from the south, the best weather ever with many beautiful beaches :(

I lived in San Diego for 3 years during UG so I KNOWWWWWWW how great CA weather and beaches can be. I"m actually heading to SD during the 4th of July to hang out and visit all my favorite restaurants/hole in the wall joints.:)

safe travels, lifesaver! let us know what you think of des moines.

i'm kinda jealous of you californians BECAUSE you'll be missing the gorgeous weather. i've never seen much of the country besides the midwest -- so look where i'm going to med school... i'll make it out to the west coast sometime. "visiting med school friends" could be a great excuse. *grins*

Thanks for the supportive, kind words everyone. You will make great classmates & great physicians, I know!

Sadly enough, I have just given up my seat at DMU. You know it has been a TOUGH decision between UMDNJ and DMU for me. DMU is my favorite, but UMDNJ just makes more sense. It is closer to home and it costs a lot less. Plus, during my mom's time in the ICU, they have been extremely supportive of me & my family. That extra care finally tipped the scales for me.

Now I just have to get myself together enough to even start school this summer. Somehow... I wish you all the best - it would have been so much FUN being classmates (not to mention harrassing all the people in the C/O 2010)!!! But hopefully we will meet as colleagues in the near future. Good luck everyone!!! :luck:

Thanks for the supportive, kind words everyone. You will make great classmates & great physicians, I know!

Sadly enough, I have just given up my seat at DMU. You know it has been a TOUGH decision between UMDNJ and DMU for me. DMU is my favorite, but UMDNJ just makes more sense. It is closer to home and it costs a lot less. Plus, during my mom's time in the ICU, they have been extremely supportive of me & my family. That extra care finally tipped the scales for me.

Now I just have to get myself together enough to even start school this summer. Somehow... I wish you all the best - it would have been so much FUN being classmates (not to mention harrassing all the people in the C/O 2010)!!! But hopefully we will meet as colleagues in the near future. Good luck everyone!!! :luck:

Best of Luck Ortho! Hope things are on the up and up.

Good luck to you too Orthodoc. Best of wishes to you and your family and rock on at UMDNJ. Eat a cheesesteak for me ok (since my friend ate the 10 he brought back to CA to share with me).

I'll keep track of everyone - you guys have been waaay more fun than the "other" thread (no offense to them, but, well....;)). :D

good luck Orthodoc at the "other" school :D Just remember no matter how difficult this path could be, your mom would be the one that always wants you to do the best and become a great, compassionate doctor.

i'm kinda jealous of you californians BECAUSE you'll be missing the gorgeous weather. i've never seen much of the country besides the midwest -- so look where i'm going to med school... i'll make it out to the west coast sometime. "visiting med school friends" could be a great excuse. *grins*

sure sure sure...anytime Kenosha...California always welcomes you :)

I lived in San Diego for 3 years during UG so I KNOWWWWWWW how great CA weather and beaches can be. I"m actually heading to SD during the 4th of July to hang out and visit all my favorite restaurants/hole in the wall joints.:)

i'll be up in SJ that week :D

anyway, have fun in SD and enjoy some Pho and other vietnamese food ....we will miss it dearly. (luckily, i heard there are couple of Pho places in Des moines)

enjoy some Pho and other vietnamese food ....we will miss it dearly. (luckily, i heard there are couple of Pho places in Des moines)

Man I need to get off SDN and get a life...but anyhoo

R u vietnamese lovable or just a patron of vietnamese food. Yeah i'm glad they have a Pho place but I doubt it will compare to what they have here in CA. They also have some thai and chinese places. What i'm actually looking forward to is any bbq place. Anyone who knows of a place in DSM ...cough it up please!!!!!!

It's sad to hear that you aren't going to DMU, but it's good to hear that you are sticking with the medschool thing. I think DMU is better (*cough cough-no bias here-*cough cough*) but UNDJDN is a great school too! I'm sure you'll be happy there near family. Good luck!~

I'll keep track of everyone - you guys have been waaay more fun than the "other" thread (no offense to them, but, well....;)). :D

Status
Not open for further replies.