Official: Countdown until July 13th score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when I took my MCAT there was a thread like this that helped the time pass faster. We know that we are all neurotic, but sometimes sharing those neurosis can make things just a little better!

T-minus 36 days...

I took this mess today, and I really wished that when they handed me that sheet of paper after the test it had my score on it. Lucky GRE takers...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you normally have to wait about 3-4 weeks anyway?

Damnit Spock, you and your logic...always trying to make sense out of things. Just go with it.

Haha, exactly, there was no particular logic involved. I just want my score now. :D

I remember the deeply satisfying feeling I had as I walked out of the GRE where I had my score INSTANTLY. *sigh* never again, I suppose.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's really weird is that it wasn't the hardest test of my life. Far from it. What it was though was a very long test, that you have to beat the rest of the country on to get into competitive fields (if that's your gig). Passing the test would be really easy...

I remember leaving the test on Monday thinking... Well, that was interesting... I guess that's step 1.

Just another test.. but one that may determine what fields of medicine you can go into.

Yeah, I had this feeling too...it was like David showing up to fight Goliath only to find out Goliath was a midget. I'm not saying it was a breeze or anything, but given the hype I'd been expecting something much more fearsome. In fact, when the first block seemed easy I actually had this "underwhelmed" sort of feeling at the first break - "is this really it"?

Yeah, I had this feeling too...it was like David showing up to fight Goliath only to find out Goliath was a midget. I'm not saying it was a breeze or anything, but given the hype I'd been expecting something much more fearsome. In fact, when the first block seemed easy I actually had this "underwhelmed" sort of feeling at the first break - "is this really it"?

Anyone else feel that the test was worthy of Goliath? As more and more time passes, I keep thinking to myself "wow, that was actually a pretty difficult exam." I came out feeling that maybe I did okay. Then after a week or so, all these questions started coming back to me that I'm pretty sure I missed.

For all those out there who believe they only missed 25-30 questions, and for those who felt taking the test was like fighting a midget, I envy you. I envy your capacity to absorb concepts, memorize factoids, and apply them in a way which makes one of the hardest exams seem like cake to you. I for one felt the exam was very challenging (equivalent to UW).

-Filla

Anyone else feel that the test was worthy of Goliath? As more and more time passes, I keep thinking to myself "wow, that was actually a pretty difficult exam." I came out feeling that maybe I did okay. Then after a week or so, all these questions started coming back to me that I'm pretty sure I missed.

For all those out there who believe they only missed 25-30 questions, and for those who felt taking the test was like fighting a midget, I envy you. I envy your capacity to absorb concepts, memorize factoids, and apply them in a way which makes one of the hardest exams seem like cake to you. I for one felt the exam was very challenging (equivalent to UW).

-Filla

Some people had a significantly harder version. People who were barely passing NBMEs have thought the test was a breeze. People scoring 250+ felt like they failed and were guessing throughout the test.

I decided to call and get more info (because the announcement is so vague about the delay). They told me that some people will get results before July 13th.

Thanks for posting that. Did they suggest just how many people are part of that?

I took my test after the first Wednesday of the month, so if not for the reporting delay, I think that would mean that I should get scores either this Wednesday or next Wednesday. Not sure which.

Some people had a significantly harder version. People who were barely passing NBMEs have thought the test was a breeze. People scoring 250+ felt like they failed and were guessing throughout the test.

I'm hoping NBME curves people against those with the same or almost the same test form. Otherwise, it would just be unfair...

-Filla

Well, hold on now.

- Believe me - some of the later blocks got substantially harder.

- I don't think it was cake overall....but as I said, it also wasn't as rough as I'd been expecting either.

- Maybe I got an exceptionally easy test (which, as we all know, is actually a net negative once the curve gets worked out).

- Maybe I happened to get lucky and got one that was well-matched to my strengths. (There were a few core FA areas I felt less knowledgeable in, and if I'd gotten a test that emphasized these areas I certainly could've been in for a much rougher time.)

- Maybe I was overconfident and blew it - in which case I'm just talking out of my ass, right? After all, my scores aren't back yet.

Well, hold on now.

- Believe me - some of the later blocks got substantially harder.

- I don't think it was cake overall....but as I said, it also wasn't as rough as I'd been expecting either.

- Maybe I got an exceptionally easy test (which, as we all know, is actually a net negative once the curve gets worked out).

- Maybe I happened to get lucky and got one that was well-matched to my strengths. (There were a few core FA areas I felt less knowledgeable in, and if I'd gotten a test that emphasized these areas I certainly could've been in for a much rougher time.)

- Maybe I was overconfident and blew it - in which case I'm just talking out of my ass, right? After all, my scores aren't back yet.

All good points. I've talked to several people, and many of them felt it was easy and did very well! I'm talking 245+. A lot of them thought it was hard and scored 220-230. So I feel that its possible to have a good feel of how you performed. I felt I got absolutely rocked by the exam. But you're right...you just never know until you see that score report.

sorry if this is addressed elsewhere, but we'll know our score is released because we get an email from USMLE saying the report is ready, right?

That is the most frustrating part. The exam is really a crap shoot as to the type of questions you get. If you get a test suited to your strengths, even if you were scoring low on practice exams, you can rock it. It becomes annoying that this test can determine so much about your future medical aspirations and be so random in terms of question distribution amongst the individuals you will be competing with for a spot. Although, I don't know what else could be done as each person has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Members don't see this ad :)

There are a lot of drama queens on sdn.

Almost another month to go... seriously? And as busy as I am/have been, I still find time to worry. Ugh.

I think it's worse this week because working nights is sooooo quiet. Even when we have active delivering patients, it's just a quieter demeanor overall at night. Less attendings/staff, etc. Peaceful. But quiet. Time to think and worry.

On a :laugh::eek: note, i'm on gynonc next week - which is notorious for 16-20 hour days. Doubt there'll be much thinking about step results going on over there....

On a :laugh::eek: note, i'm on gynonc next week - which is notorious for 16-20 hour days. Doubt there'll be much thinking about step results going on over there....

Gynonc at our institution is also ridiculous like that. I wonder if this is similar everywhere and why that is so.

Nada for me either. Does anyone feel like this wait is getting worse as more Wednesdays pass by ?

so i took it on friday and it was fine, but I keep having nightmares about immunology... I feel like I am going to go crazy between now and the 13th...

Would have gotten my score today:(. Then again it's kinda nice living in ignorance...once we get those scores back it's final!!:scared:

How'd your bathroom situation work out for you? :laugh:

Dude, you won't believe it. Did not have to go. I was shocked. I am just floored. I had even tried to take Milk of Magnesia, Psyllium Fiber, Prunes, etc the month before to change my schedule but nothing was working. It was at 9 shrap. Now I am a changed man after this.

I keep having random question flashbacks about the ones I marked. It gives me a minor anxiety attack until I go look up the answer. Luckily most of them I guessed right on..but still. I feel like I have acute stress disorder from this thing! At least its over :)

On a separate note -- what dates does the July 13th release cover? Would my June 20th date be included?

I keep having random question flashbacks about the ones I marked. It gives me a minor anxiety attack until I go look up the answer. Luckily most of them I guessed right on..but still. I feel like I have acute stress disorder from this thing! At least its over :)

On a separate note -- what dates does the July 13th release cover? Would my June 20th date be included?

By my calculations your date should be included. Luckily you wont' be waiting any longer than usual due to the delay! Still, welcome to the club!

By my calculations your date should be included. Luckily you wont' be waiting any longer than usual due to the delay! Still, welcome to the club!

Yea, that is about the normal wait for my date. Nice. I probably won't check it on that day though because I will be on vacation.....no sense in potentially ruining my trip. That's gonna take a lot of self control tho, lol.

Wow, this is a big chunk of test takers all finding out on the same day! What in the world have you guys been doing to make this wait bearable??

Yea, that is about the normal wait for my date. Nice. I probably won't check it on that day though because I will be on vacation.....no sense in potentially ruining my trip. That's gonna take a lot of self control tho, lol.

Wow, this is a big chunk of test takers all finding out on the same day! What in the world have you guys been doing to make this wait bearable??

I'll be getting abused in the hospital soon so that'll be something. :thumbup:

I'll be getting abused in the hospital soon so that'll be something. :thumbup:

lol. yup that's my "plan" too. we finished M3 orientation today, have a 3 day weekend and then monday i'll diving (definitely the wrong word choice) into OBGYN, so that should take my mind off of waiting

lol. yup that's my "plan" too. we finished M3 orientation today, have a 3 day weekend and then monday i'll diving (definitely the wrong word choice) into OBGYN, so that should take my mind off of waiting

That is a definite perk of starting soon but I will be too afraid to click my score until a day off.

Hey, does someone know if scores from June 23 and 24 are supposed to come out July 13?

I was wondering the same thing - I think I read a post from last year that the June 23rd test takers had their scores released on July 14th with everyone else, so hopefully that extra day this year won't mess it up.

not that i'm actually expecting this to happen, but if any of us are some of the "lucky" few to have our scores released early, is there a general time of day that USMLE sends the emails out saying scores have been released? Or in a different way, at what time of day on a given wednesday will we know our scores are not ready? sorry if that sounds really convoluted

not that i'm actually expecting this to happen, but if any of us are some of the "lucky" few to have our scores released early, is there a general time of day that USMLE sends the emails out saying scores have been released? Or in a different way, at what time of day on a given wednesday will we know our scores are not ready? sorry if that sounds really convoluted

not convoluted at all. I know exactly what you are asking bc i myself have asked these questions :).

The following is what I've heard. If your scores are going to be released on a particular wednesday, then at 12:00am on that wednesday your contact info will be shown when you click on 'request documents' after logging in the following website https://apps.nbme.org/ciw2/prod/jsp/login.jsp . if they will not be released on that wednesday then it will say "based on our recrods, we are unable to provide you...etc. You will receive an email at 10-1030 am saying that your scores will be released around 11am. This is only what i've heard, so please don't take it as the final word.

hope my answer isn't to convoluted...

-filla

So ... this sucks. haha.

Anyway, I had a positive dream involving get a good score on this thing a few nights ago. I hope it's some sort of premonition because I would be thrilled with my "dream" score. :xf:

In other news, my fiance has informed me that I always think I did much worse on exams than I actually did. I had never really thought about it and at first I thought he was just trying to make me stop fretting about this thing. But he provided recent evidence of how I said I didn't study correctly for my Path miniboard and Clinical skills miniboard and how I didn't do as well as I had hoped. And how when I got my scores back I had actually done rather well. Hmmm ... I guess I am a bit of a "drama queen" I had never really thought of myself that way.:laugh:

Well, hopefully this pattern continues with step 1. Regardless I'm trying to stay positive and have been reading ... novels! How absurd! Not reading endless notes or texts for an exam is kinda weird. lol

Does anybody else have the problem where you'll be doing something totally random and then all of a sudden have a flashback to a test question from the step 1??? It's driving me insane! It's almost like some kind of low-level PTSD flashback... :confused:

Does anybody else have the problem where you'll be doing something totally random and then all of a sudden have a flashback to a test question from the step 1??? It's driving me insane! It's almost like some kind of low-level PTSD flashback... :confused:

Yes, especially watching TV with all those drug and class action lawsuit commercials.