Official: Countdown until July 13th score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when I took my MCAT there was a thread like this that helped the time pass faster. We know that we are all neurotic, but sometimes sharing those neurosis can make things just a little better!

T-minus 36 days...

I took this mess today, and I really wished that when they handed me that sheet of paper after the test it had my score on it. Lucky GRE takers...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I remember back in the day when I took my MCAT there was a thread like this that helped the time pass faster. We know that we are all neurotic, but sometimes sharing those neurosis can make things just a little better!

T-minus 36 days...

I took this mess today, and I really wished that when they handed me that sheet of paper after the test it had my score on it. Lucky GRE takers...

Congrats on being done! How'd it go? Crazy immuno or anatomy?

Congrats on being done! How'd it go? Crazy immuno or anatomy?

I just posted a kind of "general" impressions post in the 2011 experiences thread, but didn't really touch on this. No real crazy anatomy. Some I didn't know, but it was just stuff that you learned but then forgot because it was minor in the grand scheme. No real crazy Immuno either. In fact, none really stood out to me as all that immuno-y at all. Weird huh?

I just posted a kind of "general" impressions post in the 2011 experiences thread, but didn't really touch on this. No real crazy anatomy. Some I didn't know, but it was just stuff that you learned but then forgot because it was minor in the grand scheme. No real crazy Immuno either. In fact, none really stood out to me as all that immuno-y at all. Weird huh?

At this point, I have no expectations going in. Everyone has posted relatively different experiences. I think its probably beneficial to have a clear, open, confident mind going in - that way when a "weird" question set pops up I don't freak out.

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point, I have no expectations going in. Everyone has posted relatively different experiences. I think its probably beneficial to have a clear, open, confident mind going in - that way when a "weird" question set pops up I don't freak out.

I think I did really bad guys. The wait is killing me. With each day that goes by I keep remembering more and more questions that I missed! Of the ones I can remember, I guessed right on approximately 30% of them. Impending doom!

Here waiting as well. Sheldor, I guess you had a different test after all, mine was full of immuno. Or let's just say much more than I'm used to from Uworld and CBSSAs.

Yeah July is a long way off.

I think I did really bad guys. The wait is killing me. With each day that goes by I keep remembering more and more questions that I missed! Of the ones I can remember, I guessed right on approximately 30% of them. Impending doom!

Same here. The only thing that scares me is that there are a few I thought were right, but can't be sure what they were asking, or if I remembered the question correctly. A lot of the questions were running together as I thought back. I've been obsessing as I look through first aid, mixing the wrong stems, with the wrong lab values and answer choices in my head. I just have no clue how it went.

Just took the exam today :) I'd have to say that mine wasn't all that immuno heavy either. I was afraid that pharm was going to kill me, so I studied the crap out of it. It ended up being way easier than I anticipated. I'd say that page 244 and 245 of FA 2011 are pretty high yield (but keep in mind everyone's test is different). Be sure to practice writing all the formulas down everyday (FA 2011 pg 533 + Prevalence + incidence + pulmonary vasc resistance + alveolar gas equation + Confidence interval + Odds ratio + second messenger systems + enzyme kinetics graph on page 232). When I got sat down, I wrote down all the formulas off the top of my head on the laminated sheet they gave me and it was a HUGE life/time saver. Note that you can do this before you start any portion of your exam, including the tutorial, so it doesn't actually cut into your break time. They give you two laminated sheets (8.5 x 11 in) with dry erase markers. I used one sheet (front and back) for the formulas/second messengers and the other one for actually writing things out during the exam. At the end of each block, I'd erase it so I'd have room for the next block. As far as difficulty goes, I'd say it ended up being about the same as Uworld...some where ridiculously easy and some were "WTF?". Overall, I feel pretty good, but I guess I'll find out for sure next month. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. Good luck!

Keep heart! My wife reminded me last night when I was experiencing a similar experience that I felt very similar after the MCAT. Apparently I am practicing some repression because I don't really remember the month after I took the MCAT, HA! So ya, I felt really bad about that and it turned out okay, so maybe this will for us too?

Same here. The only thing that scares me is that there are a few I thought were right, but can't be sure what they were asking, or if I remembered the question correctly. A lot of the questions were running together as I thought back. I've been obsessing as I look through first aid, mixing the wrong stems, with the wrong lab values and answer choices in my head. I just have no clue how it went.

I think that is the best summary there is. I go back and forth from thinking I did well and thinking I will be practicing family medicine in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle...

Just took the exam today :) I'd have to say that mine wasn't all that immuno heavy either. I was afraid that pharm was going to kill me, so I studied the crap out of it. It ended up being way easier than I anticipated. I'd say that page 244 and 245 of FA 2011 are pretty high yield (but keep in mind everyone's test is different). Be sure to practice writing all the formulas down everyday (FA 2011 pg 533 + Prevalence + incidence + pulmonary vasc resistance + alveolar gas equation + Confidence interval + Odds ratio + second messenger systems + enzyme kinetics graph on page 232). When I got sat down, I wrote down all the formulas off the top of my head on the laminated sheet they gave me and it was a HUGE life/time saver. Note that you can do this before you start any portion of your exam, including the tutorial, so it doesn't actually cut into your break time. They give you two laminated sheets (8.5 x 11 in) with dry erase markers. I used one sheet (front and back) for the formulas/second messengers and the other one for actually writing things out during the exam. At the end of each block, I'd erase it so I'd have room for the next block. As far as difficulty goes, I'd say it ended up being about the same as Uworld...some where ridiculously easy and some were "WTF?". Overall, I feel pretty good, but I guess I'll find out for sure next month. If you have any questions, feel free to PM. Good luck!

I totally second the Pharm statement. I specifically reviewed that a couple days before and then the questions felt like something I could have answered had I not done a single ounce of Pharm at all. What is that!? Good job getting through it! One of my WTF questions is truly one I will remember for the rest of my career. The more I thought about it the more crazy it was. Turns out I guessed correctly, but apparently I actually laugh out loud when I think about it because it was so politically incorrect. Crazy test writers...

i feel the same way.. i also think that m study strategy was all wrong and i just have a lot of regrets about how i studied.. i put priority on reading RR instead of finishing UWorld so i did finish RR but i did only 43% of uworld... sigh.. i dont know guys.. this is going to be a long wait. thanks for making this thread!!

i know i suck at pharm, im just no good at memorizing things, so i read each Pharm subsection in FA 3 times and the stand alone pharm section about 4-5 times.. and i still didnt remember some stuff.. :(

T-minus 36 days...

How I wish that was true too, getting our score right there and then would've been nice. This wait is so long and counting the number of gimme questions I've missed because I over thought or changed my answer from right to wrong (hopefully it was just 3 =( ) is making this very difficult. Actually thought that it went fairly ok until I left the exam and started thinking of some questions I was 50/50 and missed most of those... this wait is torturous.

I keep trying to figure out what % one needs to get right to secure a 240, my practice scores were around 250-260 and sometimes I feel like I will get close and at times I feel like I probably fell short bc of those dumb mistakes I made on easy questions. Thanks for making this thread Sheldor!

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep trying to figure out what % one needs to get right to secure a 240, my practice scores were around 250-260 and sometimes I feel like I will get close and at times I feel like I probably fell short bc of those dumb mistakes I made on easy questions. Thanks for making this thread Sheldor!

Wow, I seriously could have written this myself. Scary! I was scoring in the same range on practice tests and feel the EXACT same way. I missed at least a few gimmes, and guessed wrong on some of the hard ones. Depending on which question I remembered most recently I feel like I did terrible, or I'll feel like I did great! I missed one in particular that was EASY. Gah.

Funny story. I remember on the MCAT I chose a wrong answer in the physical science section. I knew it right after the section ended too. It was a simple stoichiometry question and I literally just miscounted. The screen went gray telling me the section had ended and through the gray I saw I had marked the wrong answer. Talk about a blow to the self confidence. Anyway, all that to say physical sciences turned out to be my highest score. So, maybe there's room for stupid mistakes on Step 1 too?

How I wish that was true too, getting our score right there and then would've been nice. This wait is so long and counting the number of gimme questions I've missed because I over thought or changed my answer from right to wrong (hopefully it was just 3 =( ) is making this very difficult. Actually thought that it went fairly ok until I left the exam and started thinking of some questions I was 50/50 and missed most of those... this wait is torturous.

They have to set the scale for a lot of these new test items, this is why we have to wait till May. I think they need to wait for more people to take them to set the bar, deciding what questions were good, bad, kindergarten and Mensa level.

I'm just praying that the questions I missed turn out to be like those ridiculously hard Uworld questions, with only 13% answering correctly.

Oh yeah, and I missed some easy ones too not paying attention. For example, I think I missed a sickle cell one by overthinking it. I just new they were trying to trick me somewhere. Guess I was wrong and that's not the only one. I would share more but I'm not hurting myself by helping drive up the curve on a rough question. All of a sudden people see what I put on here and now another 40% of test takers go look it up prior to test, get it correct, and I end up with a big fat fail. :laugh: Just kidding....no but seriously:smuggrin:

They have to set the scale for a lot of these new test items, this is why we have to wait till May. I think they need to wait for more people to take them to set the bar, deciding what questions were good, bad, kindergarten and Mensa level.

I'm just praying that the questions I missed turn out to be like those ridiculously hard Uworld questions, with only 13% answering correctly.

Oh yeah, and I missed some easy ones too not paying attention. For example, I think I missed a sickle cell one by overthinking it. I just new they were trying to trick me somewhere. Guess I was wrong and that's not the only one. I would share more but I'm not hurting myself by helping drive up the curve on a rough question. All of a sudden people see what I put on here and now another 40% of test takers go look it up prior to test, get it correct, and I end up with a big fat fail. :laugh: Just kidding....no but seriously:smuggrin:

Dude speaking of this, don't you think in some way UWorld causes us to have this problem? I know even on NBMEs I think they are trying to trick me like UWorld does. It's a great question bank but always thinking someone is trying to trick you can bite us in the butt.

Dude speaking of this, don't you think in some way UWorld causes us to have this problem? I know even on NBMEs I think they are trying to trick me like UWorld does. It's a great question bank but always thinking someone is trying to trick you can bite us in the butt.

Yesirr! Uworld lost me some easy points on past NBMEs because of this very reason. I got trained to always look for some trick. Kaplan does it even more nowadays, I heard it used to be too easy, but they just got a bit out of control trying to keep up with uworld et al.

I got to the point on uworld where I was obsessively checking previous questions, just to make sure I didn't read into it wrong. If my pace was good it worked, unfortunately the real thing had me down to 1-1.5 seconds per question by the time I got halfway through a block, no time.

Guys. I'm 3 days out but I'm burning out bad. I'm going over the little details but I'm feeling like the basic big picture details are leaking out. Anybody else feel like this? Did it all come back to you in the real deal?

Guys. I'm 3 days out but I'm burning out bad. I'm going over the little details but I'm feeling like the basic big picture details are leaking out. Anybody else feel like this? Did it all come back to you in the real deal?

I second what xlr8 said. If you look at any of my posts from the few days before I took it they all sounded just like yours! I literally felt like there were a bunch of holes in my head leaking information and all I was doing those last few days was trying to plug as many of them as I could.

On my real deal I'd say there was only 1 or 2 questions where I "couldn't remember" the information. (There were a lot I didn't know) I just mean that if you learned it, don't worry it will come back to you on test day when you have multiple choice!

In terms of the countdown, today went by sort of fast, so hey, one more day down!

yes, i was really concerned about this too. don't worry, a lot of it is in your long term memory. you cant recall it as quickly, but it's there. just relax and try to keep confident.

I second what xlr8 said. If you look at any of my posts from the few days before I took it they all sounded just like yours! I literally felt like there were a bunch of holes in my head leaking information and all I was doing those last few days was trying to plug as many of them as I could.

On my real deal I'd say there was only 1 or 2 questions where I "couldn't remember" the information. (There were a lot I didn't know) I just mean that if you learned it, don't worry it will come back to you on test day when you have multiple choice!

In terms of the countdown, today went by sort of fast, so hey, one more day down!

Guys thank you so much. I REALLY needed to hear that. It's nice to have this community to fall back on when times get tough. It's all about having confidence when walking into the belly of the beast. Just got my swagger back. :D

Is anyone going crazy thinking about questions they had and looking them up to find out that they were wrong?

lol yeah, the questions i had to guess on come back to me in sudden flashbacks (PTSD? haha)

hahahaha, I took the test yesterday (June 7th), and last night I actually had a dream in which I remembered a couple tough questions about the exam - and in the dream, I REMEMBERED what the correct answer was. There was some neurotic professor shouting at me why I was so stupid for choosing those answers. Pretty funny dream - too bad my brain couldn't have done that a day ago!!

My exam was like Step 3 for Ob/Gyn from hell. I had a bajillion stupid anatomy & pathology questions, reproductive and gynecology. And randomly - 3 yoga questions?!? Those better be experimental!!

I felt like the test overall was easier than UWorld, but harder than NBME or UWorld self-assessments. I think I got between 70-80% of my questions correct on the real-deal. In my mind, that puts me anywhere between a 230 and a 260.
Now to "Suppress" the hell out of thinking about Step1 for a month!!

Last edited:
Christ I read this thread and I feel like I'm getting palpitations with this countdown. I wish they'd just release the damn results

Just wanted to confirm with all of you. I've been following the results thread for the last few months and it seems like the general consensus that a lot of people that end up doing well feel kind of bad about their tests and remember a a lot of questions they got wrong right? You guys seen that too?

I am definitely enjoying my time off except for this nagging little voice in the back of my head who keeps reminding me of questions from the test.

from the beginning i refused to look up any answers to questions i remembered.. i thnk its helped me bc i dont really remember any questions anymore... and they have stopped popping into my head :)

Alright guys, I'll officially be part of this thread in a little over 24 hrs. Taking the beast tomorrow! Any last bits of advice/ tips from you veterans? :D

THIS WAIT IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
okay not quite...but It is starting to get very annoying, there's still a over a month left.

That feels better!

from the beginning i refused to look up any answers to questions i remembered.. i thnk its helped me bc i dont really remember any questions anymore... and they have stopped popping into my head :)

Wish I could do that. Question are popping up in my sleep, some I am sure weren't even on my test. I wake up all depressed and s&$%^$:mad:

I think my incorrect count is up to 630...oh wait?

Alright guys, I'll officially be part of this thread in a little over 24 hrs. Taking the beast tomorrow! Any last bits of advice/ tips from you veterans? :D

Try to relax tonight!! I took out a few pages from FA that I thought I, "really hard to go through one last time." Turned out to be a waste. What you know, you know and I am sure you will do great!!

THIS WAIT IS KILLING ME!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
okay not quite...but It is starting to get very annoying, there's still a over a month left.

That feels better!

The wait is ridiculous, its only been a few days for me and I'm going nuts!

Good luck! It's not that bad! I am now joining this thread! Wheee! :D

Welcome to this side of things!

Wish I could do that. Question are popping up in my sleep, some I am sure weren't even on my test. I wake up all depressed and s&$%^$:mad:

I think my incorrect count is up to 630...oh wait?

Its funny that you say this because this has happened to me too! Now all of the questions are starting to blur together. Dream questions, Step 1 questions, Uworld, NBME, GAH! Even tonight while I was brushing my teeth a question from my step randomly came to mind.

Alright everyone, way to make it through another day. 33 days to go!

Hi everyone! I guess I have officially joined the waiters. July 13th can't come soon enough! I wish it could be like some tests and at least tell you if you passed or failed in the printout.

wait what??

Delay in USMLE Step 1 Score Reporting

Most score reporting of Step 1 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in reporting for some examinees testing beginning in mid-May 2011. The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing from May 17 through late June will be Wednesday, July 13, 2011. Posted March 29, 2011

Anyone else start thinking about how if not for the delay they would have gotten scores already?

Of course they had to pull this during a high volume period where many people would be taking the damn exam.

Anyone else start thinking about how if not for the delay they would have gotten scores already?

Of course they had to pull this during a high volume period where many people would be taking the damn exam.

Yeah I should have theoretically had my score 2 days ago. Hence my general irritation and frustration at the NBME for making us wait so long.

Just wait til the 13th when their servers will inevitably crash. I can just imagine myself hitting refresh for like 3 hrs waiting for it to load.

Just wait til the 13th when their servers will inevitably crash. I can just imagine myself hitting refresh for like 3 hrs waiting for it to load.

Haha, I'm thinking (hoping) ob/gyn will be a sufficient distraction for me to not do that neurotically. And by distraction, I mean...yeah, I probably won't have time to check my scores, I bet.

OH my GOSH I thought I would never remember questions from that awful ordeal and now I woke up this morning thinking about a stupid neuro question I had yesterday. GAH.

I feel like my brain is an incompetent LES and the test questions are the food I'm digesting. So this morning is bad case of (mental) heartburn. :laugh:

wow maybe I'm slow but they apparently did this last year too and maybe do it every year

"Please note that:

Scores on new and old forms will be comparable; the decrease in the number of items per form will be accounted for in scoring the examination results.
The length of the examination day will remain unchanged.
Most score reporting of Step 1 results occurs within four weeks of testing. However, because of the change in timing described above, as well as routine modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in score reporting for most Step 1 examinations administered in late May and June. The target date for reporting Step 1 scores for most examinees testing from May 15 through late June will be Wednesday, July 14, 2010."

Yes they did this last year too, though I think they actually made real changes to the format of the exam at the time (went from 48 to 46 questions/block)

Yes they did this last year too, though I think they actually made real changes to the format of the exam at the time (went from 48 to 46 questions/block)

Yeah... I remember people talking about having to wait an extra week or two based on the number of questions per block they had.

Anyone else feel like they completely forgot most of the questions on the exam already? Mine was only a week ago.

Yeah... I remember people talking about having to wait an extra week or two based on the number of questions per block they had.

Anyone else feel like they completely forgot most of the questions on the exam already? Mine was only a week ago.

mercifully, i'm starting to forget some questions, but i still remember more than i'd like to.

mercifully, i'm starting to forget some questions, but i still remember more than i'd like to.

I second this. Does anybody else find that the questions come back to you at the strangest times? It seems like my top two are 1) While falling asleep, 2)While showering

Hope everyone had a good weekend, thankfully we are now at 30 days of waiting. Still sounds like a lot, blurg.

I second this. Does anybody else find that the questions come back to you at the strangest times? It seems like my top two are 1) While falling asleep, 2)While showering

Hope everyone had a good weekend, thankfully we are now at 30 days of waiting. Still sounds like a lot, blurg.

Holy crap yes - I can't fall asleep anymore w/o puzzling over a half-dozen wtf qs and wondering if I blew them or not.

I probably posted this elsewhere, but what are the correlations for % correct generally considered to be? What, for instance, does 80% correct actually come out to on the real thing? It only ends up being a 220 on some of the newer NBMEs, but lots of people also seem to feel that 80% on the real thing is a really good (i.e., 250+) performance.