Official: Countdown until July 13th score release

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sheldor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember back in the day when I took my MCAT there was a thread like this that helped the time pass faster. We know that we are all neurotic, but sometimes sharing those neurosis can make things just a little better!

T-minus 36 days...

I took this mess today, and I really wished that when they handed me that sheet of paper after the test it had my score on it. Lucky GRE takers...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I second this. Does anybody else find that the questions come back to you at the strangest times? It seems like my top two are 1) While falling asleep, 2)While showering

Hope everyone had a good weekend, thankfully we are now at 30 days of waiting. Still sounds like a lot, blurg.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of my repro questions are coming back to me as I begin my studying for Ob/Gyn (which I am just starting right now/in the next week). Hope I got those right.

I want to do Step 2 right, you know? Step 1, I just didn't feel prepared, and I was frustrated the whole time and didn't start the summer off where I wanted to be. But I am feeling so f-ing cheap that I don't want to ALREADY buy a year's subscription to UWorld Step 2.

Ugh. :(

Honestly, I think what I want is an extra 4 months of vacation to spend as I like - be it vacationing on the beach or studying for a few hours a day. :oops:

Has anyone else started thinking about Step 2? (Yes it is painfully early to do so, but I'm not expecting miracles from what happened on Thursday and I'd rather be prepared a little at a time than kill myself over the summer again.)

i feel the same way.. i also think that m study strategy was all wrong and i just have a lot of regrets about how i studied.. i put priority on reading RR instead of finishing UWorld so i did finish RR but i did only 43% of uworld... sigh.. i dont know guys.. this is going to be a long wait. thanks for making this thread!!

i know i suck at pharm, im just no good at memorizing things, so i read each Pharm subsection in FA 3 times and the stand alone pharm section about 4-5 times.. and i still didnt remember some stuff.. :(

I thought today went well for me but I agree with this poster. I read completely through RR and I must say, it is way too low yield for this test. Time wasted. FA and UWorld are all you need imho.

I second this. Does anybody else find that the questions come back to you at the strangest times? It seems like my top two are 1) While falling asleep, 2)While showering

Hope everyone had a good weekend, thankfully we are now at 30 days of waiting. Still sounds like a lot, blurg.

HAHA yes, they do tend to pop up at the most random times. rather like an unpleasant whack-a-mole... but now enough time has passed where everything is just blending together - UW, NBME, the real test. thank god, because i was starting to get really depressed, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Gah, yeah I'm remembering more and more questions that I got wrong. Some of them were ridiculously easy ones that I over-thought and chose the wrong answer. This is going to be a long wait until that day.

It doesn't help if you have ANOTHER step 1 board exam to take after the usmle namely the comlex and you HAVE to go through first aid over again and you see stuff that you got wrong on the usmle...:(

It doesn't help if you have ANOTHER step 1 board exam to take after the usmle namely the comlex and you HAVE to go through first aid over again and you see stuff that you got wrong on the usmle...:(

Do people who take the COMLEX also have to take the USMLE? Or is the USMLE optional?

USMLE is optional. I took it because I didn't want to shut any doors when applying for residency. I have my COMLEX tomorrow I scheduled my COMLEX 2 days after my USMLE so that I could use those two days to review OMM but not forget too much of the info I studied from first aid.

You know what the hardest part is? For years you have "control" over your future career options. Your hard work roughy equates to bettering your career options down the road. Then you come to this many week time period where you study for this beast of a test so that you can get a good residency. Then, in what feels like a blink of the eye, its over. After years of working towards it you no longer have any control over it. Very weird feeling!

I realizes that we get the results 4 weeks from tomorrow. Doesn't that kind of feel like longer than when we first started waiting? haha

is there any way that score release will stick to the whole 3-4 wednesdays after test day rather than be delayed until the 13th? i'd rather be surprised by doomsday rather than know it's coming...

is there any way that score release will stick to the whole 3-4 wednesdays after test day rather than be delayed until the 13th? i'd rather be surprised by doomsday rather than know it's coming...

If this had been the case I would have gotten my score last week, so no. But here's hoping it comes maybe a week or 2 earlier...

Are they mass releasing scores on July 13th for all exams from the back log all the way to June or up to a certain wk in June? j/w!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are they mass releasing scores on July 13th for all exams from the back log all the way to June or up to a certain wk in June? j/w!!

Nobody knows other than that exams after "mid-May" are expected out on 07/13, at least afaik. So I wouldn't count on early results, as nice as that'd be.

So does anyone have any plans before going to your clerkships?

I'm taking a little vacation. But other than that, I am just going to get ready for the clerkships

I have a sneaky feeling that on my first day, the doctor in charge of me will introduce me to a patient and then tell me to find the doctor whenever I am "done."

It seems half of the "test' will be to see if I can navigate myself through the hospital infrastructure.

You know what the hardest part is? For years you have "control" over your future career options. Your hard work roughy equates to bettering your career options down the road. Then you come to this many week time period where you study for this beast of a test so that you can get a good residency. Then, in what feels like a blink of the eye, its over. After years of working towards it you no longer have any control over it. Very weird feeling!

This is so true. Resonates with me.

I was trying to decide how much money I would pay to have my score right now (if that were possible). $200? Yes. $300? Yes. At this point, I might even pay $500. Whatever, I'd eat ramen and keep the thermostat low all winter.

It's hard to get psyched for third and fourth year because I no longer am confident in what the future holds. If I choked and bombed the test (which is how I feel), then all of my carefully constructed crazy-person "long term plans" are bust.

Twenty seven days.

I was trying to decide how much money I would pay to have my score right now (if that were possible). $200? Yes. $300? Yes. At this point, I might even pay $500.

Really? Knowing it 4 weeks early is worth $500 to you? That really weird considering that having the knowledge 4 weeks early will in no way change your long term position. There is nothing that you can do in the next 4 weeks short of some kind of decision about quitting medical school to accept a now or never offer in another field that can be worth that money.

I feel like if somebody came up to me and offered to give me $500 to delay knowing my step 1 scores by 4 weeks, I would do it perpetually and just take that stream of cash even to the point of not knowing it when applying to residency.

Really? Knowing it 4 weeks early is worth $500 to you? That really weird considering that having the knowledge 4 weeks early will in no way change your long term position. There is nothing that you can do in the next 4 weeks short of some kind of decision about quitting medical school to accept a now or never offer in another field that can be worth that money.

I feel like if somebody came up to me and offered to give me $500 to delay knowing my step 1 scores by 4 weeks, I would do it perpetually and just take that stream of cash even to the point of not knowing it when applying to residency.

You're right that it doesn't really change the outcome longterm. BUT, I think it's the feeling of anxiety that they want to "pay off".

I would definitely pay an extra $100 to know whether I passed or not. It looks like I had a pretty bad guessing day according to the 50/50 questions I was able to recall. If it weren't for that (ie: I got greater than or equal to 50% of those correct) then I wouldn't care.

So yea, call me crazy, but I would also pay some extra cash to know. Not necessarily my score, but whether or not I passed, haha. It would definitely make my awesome summer vacation of a whoppin 9 days more enjoyable!

I realizes that we get the results 4 weeks from tomorrow. Doesn't that kind of feel like longer than when we first started waiting? haha

What totally trips me out is the fact that I poured my heart and soul into studying for this test for the past two months -- only to finish the sucker in one blink of an eye. I think MossPoh did a good job of describing the strangeness of it. I mean, I walked out of that testing center, pulled out of the crappy dim-lit parking lot, and drove home. There were no fireworks, no parades, nobody there to hi-five me on my way out. Just silence. Oh and to be surrounded by 'normal' people going about their normal lives all around me...now THAT was weird too. I just wanted to scream out "I JUST TOOK ONE OF THE HARDEST TESTS OF MY LIFE!!!"

Yep, it was a totally crazy feeling I tell you. When you realize it's over, you would think it would give you this really happy relieved feeling. But strangely, I'm not quite feeling that as much as I thought I would. And yes, I get the question-hauntings too. I guess I'm struggling with a slight case of post-Step I PTSD. Wait, I think I'd have to wait 30 days for a definitive diagnosis for that, right? Lol....

Last edited:
Holy crap yes - I can't fall asleep anymore w/o puzzling over a half-dozen wtf qs and wondering if I blew them or not.

I probably posted this elsewhere, but what are the correlations for % correct generally considered to be? What, for instance, does 80% correct actually come out to on the real thing? It only ends up being a 220 on some of the newer NBMEs, but lots of people also seem to feel that 80% on the real thing is a really good (i.e., 250+) performance.

This question got skipped, but it is one I am wondering too. If 80% = 250+ I would feel a lot better.

Any thoughts or wild speculations?

This question got skipped, but it is one I am wondering too. If 80% = 250+ I would feel a lot better.

Any thoughts or wild speculations?

Although there were some random wtf questions on the usmle those same kinds of questions seemed to show up with the same frequency on the nbmes. I feel like the distribution of difficulty was very similar to the nbmes.

I feel like the real curve is easier than the nbmes though because the population that takes the step 1 is a much weaker population than the one that does the nbmes for practice. Also, many people do worse on step 1 day than their practice due to stress or lack of sleep. The length of the test compared to what people have practiced also causes many people to fade in the last 3 blocks. I've talked to quite a few people who did reasonably well in qbanks but walked out of the test thinking they failed.

If I had to guess, I'd say that ~80% is more like mid to high 230s rather than 220.

What totally trips me out is the fact that I poured my heart and soul into studying for this test for the past two months -- only to finish the sucker in one blink of an eye. I think MossPoh did a good job of describing the strangeness of it. I mean, I walked out of that testing center, pulled out of the crappy dim-lit parking lot, and drove home. There were no fireworks, no parades, nobody there to hi-five me on my way out. Just silence. Oh and to be surrounded by 'normal' people going about their normal lives all around me...now THAT was weird too. I just wanted to scream out "I JUST TOOK ONE OF THE HARDEST TESTS OF MY LIFE!!!"

Yep, it was a totally crazy feeling I tell you. When you realize it's over, you would think it would give you this really happy relieved feeling. But strangely, I'm not quite feeling that as much as I thought I would. And yes, I get the question-hauntings too. I guess I'm struggling with a slight case of post-Step I PTSD. Wait, I think I'd have to wait 30 days for a definitive diagnosis for that, right? Lol....

I hadn't been able to put words to it but you did a great job! That feeling that no one around you knows what you just went through, and can't know. You tell friends, "Ya I just took Step 1." To them that means nothing. Crazy ride.

On a plus side, we now have three weeks and change, so in a short time all of this will be over and we can move on :)

What's really weird is that it wasn't the hardest test of my life. Far from it. What it was though was a very long test, that you have to beat the rest of the country on to get into competitive fields (if that's your gig). Passing the test would be really easy...

I remember leaving the test on Monday thinking... Well, that was interesting... I guess that's step 1.

Just another test.. but one that may determine what fields of medicine you can go into.

What's really weird is that it wasn't the hardest test of my life. Far from it. What it was though was a very long test, that you have to beat the rest of the country on to get into competitive fields (if that's your gig). Passing the test would be really easy...

I remember leaving the test on Monday thinking... Well, that was interesting... I guess that's step 1.

Just another test.. but one that may determine what fields of medicine you can go into.

For me it wasn't that the test was hard, it was the weeks of crazy studying and the emotional toll associated with one test that determines your ability to chose a specialty. Then when its over those emotions really have nothing to do, so its just a weird feeling.

So ya, totally agree.

So... they did release scores on Wednesday. Dude who took it on May 24th got his score back already.

Last edited:
http://www.usmle-forums.com/usmle-step-1-forum/10621-got-my-score-report-today-99-249-a.html

They did say that most scores would be on July 13th not all. In my case, I'll get it on the 13th because my 3 Wednesday's have already passed.

My biggest question is about the date. Sounds like he got his score yesterday? Don't they generally release scores on Wednesdays?

So are we assuming that if it doesn't happen on that third Wednesday, then its the 13th? Maybe they'll release them as particular questions reach a certain threshold?

Although there were some random wtf questions on the usmle those same kinds of questions seemed to show up with the same frequency on the nbmes. I feel like the distribution of difficulty was very similar to the nbmes.

I feel like the real curve is easier than the nbmes though because the population that takes the step 1 is a much weaker population than the one that does the nbmes for practice. Also, many people do worse on step 1 day than their practice due to stress or lack of sleep. The length of the test compared to what people have practiced also causes many people to fade in the last 3 blocks. I've talked to quite a few people who did reasonably well in qbanks but walked out of the test thinking they failed.

If I had to guess, I'd say that ~80% is more like mid to high 230s rather than 220.

I am wondering... does an 80% on UWorld correlate to 80% on the real thing?

I mean, yeah, there's many variables and all, but if that is the case, then I'm screwed cuz I'm stuck in the mid-high 60s. I break 70 here and there, but I also dip in the the 50s every now and then...

I've been reading threads and people seem to be hitting mid-high 70s. I can't do that.. Haven't been able to yet. Only 10 more days to go for me... boohoo.. :eek:

For me it wasn't that the test was hard, it was the weeks of crazy studying and the emotional toll associated with one test that determines your ability to chose a specialty. Then when its over those emotions really have nothing to do, so its just a weird feeling.

So ya, totally agree.

This is exactly why I'd pay $$$ to know right now. Yes, $500 seems crazy. But I feel crazy. I'm the type of person (as I am sure you all are) who always has a plan and a direction. In the past I've either been able to accurately gauge how I've done, or I've known that I could re-test if I needed to. Neither of those are true now. So I'm just in life limbo, which sucks.

On the positive side, I've been doing lots of home improvement to distract myself. We start third year next week, and then hopefully the days will fly by.

I am wondering... does an 80% on UWorld correlate to 80% on the real thing?

I mean, yeah, there's many variables and all, but if that is the case, then I'm screwed cuz I'm stuck in the mid-high 60s. I break 70 here and there, but I also dip in the the 50s every now and then...

I've been reading threads and people seem to be hitting mid-high 70s. I can't do that.. Haven't been able to yet. Only 10 more days to go for me... boohoo.. :eek:

I think 80% on uworld corresponds to something way better on the real thing - perhaps >90%. UW is simply way harder than the real exam.

I also agree with the idea that the real USMLE population tends to score weaker than those taking nbmes. Think of all the people taking the nbmes who happen to see answers to hard qs on SDN before taking the actual tests, who take them "offline" before taking them online, who answer the actual qs with with books open etc (and yes, I have heard of people doing this). Never mind the fact that people who go so far as to take the nbmes tend to be more motivated than the general population taking the usmle to begin with.

BTW, does anyone remember that "USMLE Report" that was being pimped around here a while back? A friend of mine bought a copy of that report and I took a peek at it. One of its more surprising revelations is that most people who scored 240+ on the real thing only were scoring in the 60-70% range on UW and other question banks - which implies that it's more important that you learn from the qbanks rather than just use them as an assessment tool.

Last edited:
This is exactly why I'd pay $$$ to know right now. Yes, $500 seems crazy. But I feel crazy. I'm the type of person (as I am sure you all are) who always has a plan and a direction. In the past I've either been able to accurately gauge how I've done, or I've known that I could re-test if I needed to. Neither of those are true now. So I'm just in life limbo, which sucks.

On the positive side, I've been doing lots of home improvement to distract myself. We start third year next week, and then hopefully the days will fly by.

It definitely helps. It's hard to think about score release after really long days, and M3 rocks!

my M3 orientation starts tomorrow. Then OBGYN clerkship begins on the 27th. wish i could have my score now. i don't think i can make it to the 13th without going crazy

I always figured that since the average UW % is about 56 or so, that would correspond to a 220ish?

I always figured that since the average UW % is about 56 or so, that would correspond to a 220ish?

that's how i gauged my perfomance on uworld. i'll have to see how accurate that was tho on the 13th.

I decided to call and get more info (because the announcement is so vague about the delay). They told me that some people will get results before July 13th.

I decided to call and get more info (because the announcement is so vague about the delay). They told me that some people will get results before July 13th.

GAH. I guess that is both good and bad. That means that we can't even "rest easy" until the 13th, haha

So a question then, how does the third wednesday thing work if you took your test on a Monday? Is that monday 2 days later the first Monday, or is it the monday in the following week?

oh wow.. earlier? i took it may 19.. i wonder when can i expect the score. eeek!!

GAH. I guess that is both good and bad. That means that we can't even "rest easy" until the 13th, haha

So a question then, how does the third wednesday thing work if you took your test on a Monday? Is that monday 2 days later the first Monday, or is it the monday in the following week?
Sheldor if you took your test Monday expect the results like you took it that Weds

took my exam on may 19th and still waiting....

lets all hope for the best possible outcome. anybody have any idea how this transition period might effect our scores?? I hope for the positive.

anybody have any idea how this transition period might effect our scores?? I hope for the positive.

It's an annual "transition." My guess is that they like to add a number of new questions to the bank and need enough data to standardize. In other words, the wait probably won't affect our scores. The one difference is that we may not have the two-digit score on our reports now.

It's an annual "transition." My guess is that they like to add a number of new questions to the bank and need enough data to standardize. In other words, the wait probably won't affect our scores. The one difference is that we may not have the two-digit score on our reports now.

If i remember correctly, the announcement said we will still get it on our report but they wont send it to residencies when we apply.

I'd think that's a bit generous given that some people use uworld as a practice qbank for block exams 2nd year etc (which would tend to drag the averages down somewhat). Then again, some people are always doing their uworld qs in tutor mode/with books open, so maybe that evens it out somewhat. It also seems like a fair number of people who hit at least 70% on uworld break 240, so maybe it's not unreasonable....