*** Official CCOM Class of 2011 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think this year our orientation will be 1 school week ---5 days---from 30 July to 3 August --But we are still to recieve the orientation packet. It is supposed to come in May so sometime soon I suppose! Anyone have any updates on this?

Members don't see this ad.

are there free drinks at orientation?! ;)

anyone with off-campus living arrangement updates?

are there free drinks at orientation?! ;)

anyone with off-campus living arrangement updates?

I'm living at Clover Creek in Lombard. I was in Chicago to pick up my grandma for my graduation and took a visit to see how long it would be to drive. It's about 10 mins from campus and in a pretty quiest residential area.... tennis courts, outdoor pool/jacuzzi, in-unit washer/dryer :) Anyone else living here?

Members don't see this ad :)
so my roommate and i have reserved an apartment at the bristol club, sight unseen...has anyone seen those apartments, or have an opinion about them? we're planning a trip out in june to look at them, but i was wondering if anyone had any info now.

I'm living at Clover Creek in Lombard. I was in Chicago to pick up my grandma for my graduation and took a visit to see how long it would be to drive. It's about 10 mins from campus and in a pretty quiest residential area.... tennis courts, outdoor pool/jacuzzi, in-unit washer/dryer :) Anyone else living here?

so my roommate and i have reserved an apartment at the bristol club, sight unseen...has anyone seen those apartments, or have an opinion about them? we're planning a trip out in june to look at them, but i was wondering if anyone had any info now.

We looked at Bristol Club! it was one of our three top choices. Everything we saw was very nice and clean. It is pretty much like the brochure pics. The only bad part was that some of the buildings faced the interstate and that could get a little loud. The office has free cookies and coffee and tea every morning! I think its a good choice.

We looked at Bristol Club! it was one of our three top choices. Everything we saw was very nice and clean. It is pretty much like the brochure pics. The only bad part was that some of the buildings faced the interstate and that could get a little loud. The office has free cookies and coffee and tea every morning! I think its a good choice.

thanks berrygirl! i appreciate it! we're pretty pleased with them so far, but mainly just excited to have a place for sure to move into. where did you end up deciding to live?

Hello, anyone looking for a female roommate? Email me if you're interested and want to ask questions: [email protected]

thanks berrygirl! i appreciate it! we're pretty pleased with them so far, but mainly just excited to have a place for sure to move into. where did you end up deciding to live?

We ended up going with Brook Hill Apts in Westmont. We went to Chicago for one weekend in April and in one day looked at, I think, 9 places. By the end of the day we didnt want to look at another place again!

Leased a one bedroom at Natural Falls in Woodridge over the phone. Anyone will be living there? It is a fairly large community. Would be nice to have fellow students as neighbors.:thumbup:

does anyone know if we can bring in our own furniture into the dorms? (i'm living in redwood 1). i vaguely remember on our interview day the tour guides said we can remove some of the dorm furniture and put it in a storage closet and bring in our own..but i just wanted to verify it =)

is anyone going to be living at Versailles on the Lake? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is still looking for housing pm me. I'm a second year living with 2 other MS2s (all male). We had a last minute change in with our housing so have an extra spot. We got a house in downerns grove, cheap rent.

later

When is everyone planning on moving to DG?

Hey guys, just wanted to say hello... :)

I was wondering what is the ballpark range for apartments you guys have been finding? 1 or 2 bd rooms.

Thanks again

i'll be there the weekend b4 orientation ( i think that's when we can move into the dorms) :) can't wait!

Yeah, we can't move into the dorms until July 28th, so that's when I'll be moving to DG as well.

On a totally separate note... has anyone bought a stethoscope yet? Does anyone know if there is a certain kind that most Midwestern students use? What's the best place to buy one?

Yeah, we can't move into the dorms until July 28th, so that's when I'll be moving to DG as well.

On a totally separate note... has anyone bought a stethoscope yet? Does anyone know if there is a certain kind that most Midwestern students use? What's the best place to buy one?

word on the street is that the Cardio Littmann III is the one to get ;)

Go expensive...you don't want a cheap steth...especially when you're listening for heart murmurs. I bought one for 125$...best investment I've made.

Which one did you buy?

Yep I got the Cardio Littman III. It is personalized and everything..it was a grad gift.
Also, has anyone gotten the email saying we are starting classes early next year as well as this year?

Welcome to the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University! We are very happy with your decision to attend CCOM and look forward to seeing you at orientation in late July.

At their last meeting, the CCOM Curriculum Committee approved a recommended change in the MS II schedule which will go into effect for the Class of 2011. In order to further decompress the curriculum, the MS II year will start in early August 2008 instead of after Labor Day, spreading the curriculum over an additional 4 weeks. Because some of you may be planning weddings, or extended summer trips, we wanted to alert you at the earliest opportunity. If such a schedule change causes you undue hardship, please contact the Office of Admissions immediately. Have a great summer!

yup got that e-mail as well..sucks! :p the extra 4 weeks would have been nice...oh well..it probably will be better to have the course load decompressed

Yep I got the Cardio Littman III. It is personalized and everything..it was a grad gift.
Also, has anyone gotten the email saying we are starting classes early next year as well as this year?

Welcome to the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University! We are very happy with your decision to attend CCOM and look forward to seeing you at orientation in late July.

At their last meeting, the CCOM Curriculum Committee approved a recommended change in the MS II schedule which will go into effect for the Class of 2011. In order to further decompress the curriculum, the MS II year will start in early August 2008 instead of after Labor Day, spreading the curriculum over an additional 4 weeks. Because some of you may be planning weddings, or extended summer trips, we wanted to alert you at the earliest opportunity. If such a schedule change causes you undue hardship, please contact the Office of Admissions immediately. Have a great summer!

Ok, so I have posted in a million places, but my roommate and I are desperate for commute info.

Hi, I will be an MS-1 starting this summer and recently have begun apartment hunting with my roommate. We are hoping to get information from upperclassmen about some of the places we liked. We like Clover Creek and Courts of the Falling Waters the best, and we are also interested in Westmore and Surrey Place. We are particularly looking for information on the commute from these locations to campus, so if any of you live in one of these places could you please post information? We would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

Ok, so I have posted in a million places, but my roommate and I are desperate for commute info.

Hi, I will be an MS-1 starting this summer and recently have begun apartment hunting with my roommate. We are hoping to get information from upperclassmen about some of the places we liked. We like Clover Creek and Courts of the Falling Waters the best, and we are also interested in Westmore and Surrey Place. We are particularly looking for information on the commute from these locations to campus, so if any of you live in one of these places could you please post information? We would greatly appreciate it, thanks!

You should PM Buckeye or Vox, they seem to be around more than others. Also, they both seem to know a lot about these types of things.

Marcia

I was wondering if we were ever sent a list of things to buy. Since some of you have already bought stethoscopes, are there other things we need to buy as well? Thanks!

I was wondering if we were ever sent a list of things to buy. Since some of you have already bought stethoscopes, are there other things we need to buy as well? Thanks!

I haven't seen any such list. Except the the stethoscope that my boss is buying for me, I am trying to hold off on buying books and equipment until I get to school.
I am looking forward to starting, and I am hoping that they sent us the orientation info sometime soon.

My name is Jeremy Jacobs, I am the Vice President of the new MSII's at CCOM. In response to what to buy, don't buy anything yet. There is a day where everything is presented to you and you can buy everything that you need, including: stethoscope, medicine bag, reflex hammer and everything. Do the same with books, don't worry about it until school starts. You guys need to enjoy your summer because things get busy here. Do not pre-study, just get ready to work hard. We are excited to have you here and be proud that you are attending CCOM. It is a great program with an incredible history. Feel free to contact me about any questions that you have about anything. I will be in Chicago this summer teaching anatomy, so I am available.

-Jeremy Jacobs MSI
[email protected]

The drive to clover creek from campus is exactly 10 mins on a sunday afternoon with little traffic (i did it myself). Hope you decide to live there!

So to all the peeps who already got housing and everything; is it just too late for me? I was accepted a while back, but was out of the country for the past month and didn't do anything mwu related. I still have to get all my immuniztions and everything.
Off campus housing for me...? :(

hey everyone,

i just talked to the dean's office and i found out our orientation packets will be mailed out by the middle of june. she also said with the more decompressed curriculum, our daily schedules should lighten up and we will be getting out of class earlier and may even have some days with no class. i guess we'll see if that is true! :)

hey everyone,

i just talked to the dean's office and i found out our orientation packets will be mailed out by the middle of june. she also said with the more decompressed curriculum, our daily schedules should lighten up and we will be getting out of class earlier and may even have some days with no class. i guess we'll see if that is true! :)

That would be awesome!! :thumbup:

hey everyone,

That makes me excited! Now I just need to adopt better time management skills so I don't screw around during the free time.

hey everyone,

:thumbup:

hey everyone,

COOL ! :thumbup:

hahaha, i'm liking all the :thumbup: 's ;) yeah i really hope that we dont have classes til 4 or 5 everyday. on another note, i can't wait to go school supply shopping and stock up on colored pens and highlighters :)

word on the street is that the Cardio Littmann III is the one to get ;)

Buy the cheapest equipment possible. When the Welsch-Allen reps come into to talk to you they will make it sound like it is absolutely essential to buy the most expensive equipment they have to offer. In reality, you hardly use any of your equipment the 1st 2 years and when you start rotations all of the clinics/hospitals have equipment there. I wish I'd have put the $500 extra I spent towards a money palm pilot and Nintendo Wii - instead I have a $300 ophthalmoscope that I used ~5 times.

Buy the cheapest equipment possible. When the Welsch-Allen reps come into to talk to you they will make it sound like it is absolutely essential to buy the most expensive equipment they have to offer. In reality, you hardly use any of your equipment the 1st 2 years and when you start rotations all of the clinics/hospitals have equipment there. I wish I'd have put the $500 extra I spent towards a money palm pilot and Nintendo Wii - instead I have a $300 ophthalmoscope that I used ~5 times.

thanks for that piece of advise. That will surely save me some money.

My boyfriend and I just signed a lease at Bristol Club. We got a unit that isn't facing the interstate, so that is beneficial. Be sure to let them know that you will be attending Midwestern because then your security deposit is waived and you get something like $200 off your first months rent. Helps to get rid of some of that upfront cost. :)

Anyone else thinking Bristol Club? It would be nice to know some neighbors.

My boyfriend and I just signed a lease at Bristol Club. We got a unit that isn't facing the interstate, so that is beneficial. Be sure to let them know that you will be attending Midwestern because then your security deposit is waived and you get something like $200 off your first months rent. Helps to get rid of some of that upfront cost. :)

Anyone else thinking Bristol Club? It would be nice to know some neighbors.

hooray sjp! see you in july

hey guys, i'm leaving for italy and greece with my old college roomie in a few days ...so keep this thread updated for me :) hope you all are having a fabulous summer :)

For anyone who is more familiar with DG- is it doable to be there without a car? I'd be living in the dorms anyway, but I'm just wondering if there are grocery stores/pharmacies/restaurants, etc close by.

Hey everyone whats up? Are you guys going with the health insurance plan through the school or has anyone found a less expensive plan? In the financial aid budget, the health insurance fee is $3229 for the year. That seems a little high, so I was just wondering what most people were thinking as far as finding a different health plan or not.

For anyone who is more familiar with DG- is it doable to be there without a car? I'd be living in the dorms anyway, but I'm just wondering if there are grocery stores/pharmacies/restaurants, etc close by.

It's hard to get around without a car. The only alternative is calling cabs, but they could get pricely. stores are close by, but not really walking distance. There are people who do it though. If you have everything you need in the dorm and don't need to get off campus much you'll be fine. I would probably go insane though.

Hey everyone whats up? Are you guys going with the health insurance plan through the school or has anyone found a less expensive plan? In the financial aid budget, the health insurance fee is $3229 for the year. That seems a little high, so I was just wondering what most people were thinking as far as finding a different health plan or not.

I've heard their school's insurance is good, but it is very expsensive. I didn't use it last year. You could easily find health insurance that is decent for around 100-150 a month. Their's comes out to about 260/month

Hey guys

so have you all got your fin aid done? i just got my 'award' letter today. I'm really not getting awarded anything. $8K in unsub and $32K in sub... or the other way around i forget. Whichever is 'better' is the lesser amount.
But do they have scholarships at all or anything beneficial like that? just curious.

Hey everyone, I’ve probably met some of you on facebook, but I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in person in July. I think we all are pretty excited to begin. Anyway, I’m moving from North Carolina and I'm still looking for a roommate/apartment, although I'm sort of sold on the Covington Apartments because of proximity to campus and amenities. If anyone is still looking for a potential roommate or knows someone who is, in any of the MWU programs, please send me an email or give the person my contact info, [email protected]. I won’t be able to get up to Chicago/DG until around July 9th, so if anyone has any helpful info, please send it my way.

Hey guys, I am very excited to meet you all...

Does anyone know when we get more info about the books we will need and such, mainly so I can start calling freinds and family and try to get some cheap books from them :)

Thanks for all your support