***Official August 2005 MCAT Scores Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gujuDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not making a fake announcement. But as per the AAMC login: The message now says the MCAT SCORES WILL BE LOADED TONIGHT. They reupdated it again.

So that being said.......this will be the thread to post your scores as it comes out.......

Here are the things I want you to fill out:

1. Your Form (If you remember):

2. Your Practice Score Range:

3. What you used to Study

4. How do you feel right now????? Ecstatic, Neutral, Disappointed, etc.

Any other comments you'd like to make.

Members don't see this ad.

QofQuimica said:
I think I have a reasonable explanation beyond wanting to brag and make myself feel good at others' expense concerning why my first SDN post was to tell my MCAT score. Maybe it will help some of you understand things from a new perspective.

Those of you who are college students might gripe and complain about how annoying other pre-meds are, but at least you have other pre-meds who are going through the process with you, and who understand what and how you feel as you all suffer through it together. This experience is very different for those of us who are non-trads; we tend to be relatively isolated. In my case, I'm 30 and a grad student. I don't have any pre-med advisor to even give me BAD advice ( :smuggrin: ), and my friends are all thinking about post docs and their kids, not about taking the MCAT and filling out medical school applications. I do know several college students who are applying from my university, but they are my students, which makes discussing my apps with them somewhat awkward and even inappropriate. After all, it is part of my job to mentor *them.* My parents are supportive, but again, they are not fellow comrades-at-arms. I think we can all agree that people who have never attempted the MCAT can't ever really understand what it's like the way that those of us who have gone through it do. I've actually had some co-workers ask why I couldn't get a perfect 45 like those whiz kids who ace the SAT. :rolleyes:

When I checked my score that night, it shocked and amazed me. I did want to talk about it, and I wanted to talk about it with someone who would understand what it meant, and who had gone through the same summer of hell studying for it that I had gone through. One of my students had told me about SDN a few months earlier, but I hadn't ever bothered logging on here before. That night was the first time that I felt that now *I* needed someone whom *I* could talk to for once. I come on here, and I see dozens of other people posting scores and talking about their experiences, too, and for the first time, I was part of the pre-med group.

I am happy to do what I can to help others on SDN because of how much so many of you on SDN have done to help me. SDN certainly has its faults and blemishes, but I keep coming back here because SDN reminds me that no matter how hard things get, I'm not in this alone. There are literally thousands of people nation-wide who are going through this process, including hundreds of other non-trads. I've even met several friends through SDN. Some are just pen-pals, and I've personally met others and become friends with them outside of SDN as well.

I hope that you will all be willing to cut one another some slack, both here on SDN and in real life as well. We are going to be future colleagues some day, so we might as well begin being collegial right now. :love: to you all.

-Q

Well Q, for what it's worth, you're quite an inspiring person to me and I think you're a wonderful mentor to those of us just getting ready to go through the process. I would KILL for your score, but you obviously deserved it. I dunno who said you were bragging but...screw 'em! most of us want to keep you around :p

QofQuimica said:
I've even met several friends through SDN. Some are just pen-pals, and I've personally met others and become friends with them outside of SDN as well.
-Q

Hmmmph. "Just" pen pals? What kind of distinction is that to make amongst friends? :mad:

:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
ImmunoNut said:
Well Q, for what it's worth, you're quite an inspiring person to me and I think you're a wonderful mentor to those of us just getting ready to go through the process. I would KILL for your score, but you obviously deserved it. I dunno who said you were bragging but...screw 'em! most of us want to keep you around :p

I was just using q as an example, in general, not saying anyone was accusing her specifically of bragging. It was just a name brought up to make a general point, and show that NOT ALL people with 35+ MCAT scores are braggers.

Sorry to cause sooooooooooo much confusion for those who joined in the middle of the conversation without reading the rest of my posts.

Let's just drop this conversation now.

Immuno,

i'll find that link where there were people who improved from a 29 if you really want to see it. I think it was a thread by: COFFEECAT. But I'll do a search for it and linki it in the thread you started.

MoosePilot said:
Hmmmph. "Just" pen pals? What kind of distinction is that to make amongst friends? :mad:

:smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh:

How come you and Q don't join us in the Random thread by A-man??????? We need variation in posters!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

My new name for Banana is Ms. Chiquita. I command you to call her such. :p :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and Moose, congrats on the acceptance. I know its been a long road for you, since you've applied a few times already and taken the MCAT what like 3 times. :D

gujuDoc said:
:laugh: :laugh:

How come you and Q don't join us in the Random thread by A-man??????? We need variation in posters!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

My new name for Banana is Ms. Chiquita. I command you to call her such. :p :laugh: :laugh:

Oh and Moose, congrats on the acceptance. I know its been a long road for you, since you've applied a few times already and taken the MCAT what like 3 times. :D

Well, that thread is a little random even for me.

I'm always looking for new things to call Banana, so sure ;)

Thanks! It has been a long road. I originally applied for 1996 matriculation. I originally took the MCAT in 1994. Everything worked on a 10 year cycle for me. :laugh:

PS: 8
VR: 9
BS: 10

Total: 27N

This is my first time taking it and I'm actually quite happy with my scores. I'm not elated, but I konw I did my best. So yeah, I'm a junior now anyway, so I'll have to wait, but I'm going to keep these scores and apply with them next year. I hope this post is an encouragement to others that a below a 30 score is not the end of the world. You may not get into Yale with that score, but you will get in.

Hola de España. Checking in from an internet cafe over here in Granada. I got a 37! 13/11/Q/13. I´m really really really really happy since I´ve been so nervous these last months waiting over here. Peace out guys and good luck with applications if you´re applying this year. All i need to do is get a Spanish girlfriend and I´m set for this school year :cool:

edit: form CK, took it at the jc in mission viejo, ca, i forgot it´s name.

dsh said:
Hola de España. Checking in from an internet cafe over here in Granada. I got a 37! 13/11/Q/13. I´m really really really really happy since I´ve been so nervous these last months waiting over here. Peace out guys and good luck with applications if you´re applying this year. All i need to do is get a Spanish girlfriend and I´m set for this school year :cool:

edit: form CK, took it at the jc in mission viejo, ca, i forgot it´s name.

Awesome!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!! So you are applying to american schools right????????/ Just curious cuz you said you are on the same island where SGU is located. :laugh: :laugh:

MoosePilot said:
Hmmmph. "Just" pen pals? What kind of distinction is that to make amongst friends?

Tee hee, now don't you go off getting all indignant, Moosie. You're my best pen-pal friend. :laugh: (I just hope the others don't see me saying this! :scared: If any of you do, I didn't really mean it!!! :smuggrin: ) Ok, for the record, I have not yet met Moose in real life, but he is more than "just a pen-pal." Ok? :laugh: (Sheesh. :rolleyes: ) Moose, I still have heard nothing....things are not looking too good for you. :eek:

ImmunoNut said:

Thanks. :oops: Actually, I believe that people said I was a troll, not that I was bragging. :smuggrin: At any rate, I don't recommend killing for my score....a murder conviction would *definitely* keep you out of medical school. ;) And 29 is a solid score; you're right at the national average for matriculated medical students. Are you applying this year or next? Best of luck to you either way. :)

QofQuimica said:
Tee hee, now don't you go off getting all indignant, Moosie. You're my best pen-pal friend. :laugh: (I just hope the others don't see me saying this! :scared: If any of you do, I didn't really mean it!!! :smuggrin: ) Ok, for the record, I have not yet met Moose in real life, but he is more than "just a pen-pal." Ok? :laugh: (Sheesh. :rolleyes: ) Moose, I still have heard nothing....things are not looking too good for you. :eek:

Thanks. :oops: Actually, I believe that people said I was a troll, not that I was bragging. :smuggrin: At any rate, I don't recommend killing for my score....a murder conviction would *definitely* keep you out of medical school. ;) And 29 is a solid score; you're right at the national average for matriculated medical students. Are you applying this year or next? Best of luck to you either way. :)

Now Moose and Q,

I repeat, you must join A-man, bananaface, and I in the RANDOM thread. We need variation.

QofQuimica said:
Those of you who are college students might gripe and complain about how annoying other pre-meds are, but at least you have other pre-meds who are going through the process with you, and who understand what and how you feel as you all suffer through it together. This experience is very different for those of us who are non-trads; we tend to be relatively isolated. In my case, I'm 30 and a grad student. I don't have any pre-med advisor to even give me BAD advice ( :smuggrin: ), and my friends are all thinking about post docs and their kids, not about taking the MCAT and filling out medical school applications. I do know several college students who are applying from my university, but they are my students, which makes discussing my apps with them somewhat awkward and even inappropriate. After all, it is part of my job to mentor *them.* My parents are supportive, but again, they are not fellow comrades-at-arms. I think we can all agree that people who have never attempted the MCAT can't ever really understand what it's like the way that those of us who have gone through it do. I've actually had some co-workers ask why I couldn't get a perfect 45 like those whiz kids who ace the SAT. :rolleyes:

When I checked my score that night, it shocked and amazed me. I did want to talk about it, and I wanted to talk about it with someone who would understand what it meant, and who had gone through the same summer of hell studying for it that I had gone through. One of my students had told me about SDN a few months earlier, but I hadn't ever bothered logging on here before. That night was the first time that I felt that now *I* needed someone whom *I* could talk to for once. I come on here, and I see dozens of other people posting scores and talking about their experiences, too, and for the first time, I was part of the pre-med group.
-Q

From one non-trad to another, I think you expressed quite eloquently how difficult it is to feel like you're in this by yourself. I'm 27 and would love to know more people in my post-bac classes, but I don't feel like I have much in common with undergrads. They're usually talking about the party they went to last night, while I'm wondering when I'm going to find time to study when I have so much going on at work. My friends don't really understand what it's like; in fact, they stopped calling me this summer because all I could talk about was the MCAT. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.

When I stumbled onto SDN, it was like reading every pre-med concern and worry and thought I had over the past few years...and it was such a relief to know I wasn't in it alone.

I think you have every right to be proud of your score. I see people with better scores than mine, and I see people who scored lower. The best I can do ist to be happy for the people who did better, encouraging to the people who did worse, and use the score I got to the best of my ability.

Sorry for the long post. I'm pretty new here, but I really enjoy reading SDN and thought I'd add my two cents.

Members don't see this ad :)
QofQuimica said:

Awwww... wait a second! :mad:

:laugh:

You haven't heard anything more? Over the weekend? Oh my goodness!! :smuggrin:

You'll hear. I have confidence in my prognostication! :luck:

QofQuimica said:
I think I have a reasonable explanation beyond wanting to brag and make myself feel good at others' expense concerning why my first SDN post was to tell my MCAT score. Maybe it will help some of you understand things from a new perspective.

I am happy to do what I can to help others on SDN because of how much so many of you on SDN have done to help me. SDN certainly has its faults and blemishes, but I keep coming back here because SDN reminds me that no matter how hard things get, I'm not in this alone. There are literally thousands of people nation-wide who are going through this process, including hundreds of other non-trads. I've even met several friends through SDN. Some are just pen-pals, and I've personally met others and become friends with them outside of SDN as well.

I hope that you will all be willing to cut one another some slack, both here on SDN and in real life as well. We are going to be future colleagues some day, so we might as well begin being collegial right now. :love: to you all.

-Q

Not to beat a dead horse (though I am), (and I am not in quite as extreme a situation as Q here), applying to med school is a VERY recent decision on my part (May 2005), and I really have NO idea what to expect. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your advice. Thanks to all for being truthful and realistic, I know that's what I need to hear. I'm kind of learning as I go. I figure I'll just apply, work my butt off in grad work and volunteering, work, etc..., and pray.

Thanks, also, to unfrozencaveman.
In the words of the almighty Will Ferrell:
"That's why I come up here. NATURE! Goullet."

I guess I'm a little late to this thread, but I'll post my August 2005 MCAT score anyways:

PS: 14
VR: 9
WS: Q
BS: 11

I was disappointed about VR and BS b/c the two scores I got were the lowest of the respective ranges (9-11 & 11-14) I had been getting on my practice tests. I was mad about the BS coming out b/c I only had 1 organic passage and that's my strongest subject. There was also no physiology and I think the BS section focused more on microbiology, population biology, and genetics. I definitely think that taking a course in the former two would've better prepared me. I was pleasantly surprised about PS b/c it was higher than any of my highest practice tests (range of 11-13).

Overall, I am quite happy with my 34Q, but just a little worried about admission comittees looking at my scores unfavorably b/c they appear lopsided and b/c of my <10 in VR. Hopefully, it won't matter too much.

I did so badly on my MCAT. I only got 20 overall and I don’t want to talk about it more except for the fact that I would just go ahead and start studying for the April MCAT. In my opinion only, I think this thread needs to be sticky by now. Lots of people are talking and bragging about their MCAT scores, and what they plan to study for the future MCAT or what not. It is so hard to find this thread when it gets burried under the other thread like a coin in a dirt.
I hope everyone who is re-taking have good luck on studying. I will see the re-takers around.

JustR said:
I did so badly on my MCAT. I only got 20 overall and I don’t want to talk about it more except for the fact that I would just go ahead and start studying for the April MCAT. In my opinion only, I think this thread needs to be sticky by now. Lots of people are talking and bragging about their MCAT scores, and what they plan to study for the future MCAT or what not. It is so hard to find this thread when it gets burried under the other thread like a coin in a dirt.
I hope everyone who is re-taking have good luck on studying. I will see the re-takers around.
Just a word of advice from a fellow retaker (April and August). Study in a completely different fashion than you did for the first test. Choose different study materials, set up a different way to organize your study topics, take you practice exams in a new location. There is a high probability of getting the same score you did the first time if you don't change the way you study. Best of luck, I am sure you will do great! :thumbup:

I am SO HAPPY!
I suppose the third time is the charm:
PS 10
VR 12
BS 11
Writing Q
This past summer of taking Kaplan and studying my ass off finally paid off (thankGod).
And for those who are curious, gujuDoc is right, and my practice scores (AAMC) were about 1 to 2 points from this score. Now onto the apps for June!

morganlefay said:
I am SO HAPPY!
I suppose the third time is the charm:
PS 10
VR 12
BS 11
Writing Q
This past summer of taking Kaplan and studying my ass off finally paid off (thankGod).
And for those who are curious, gujuDoc is right, and my practice scores (AAMC) were about 1 to 2 points from this score. Now onto the apps for June!

Morganlefay,

Just wanted to say Woooooooo hoooooooo. Your old score was in the mid 20's right??? Like 25 or 26????? So that's a real nice improvement. I had a friend who improved by the same amount of points as you did. She was soooooooooo excited, as so would I be. :D :D :D :D

Congratulations.

gujuDoc said:
Morganlefay,

Just wanted to say Woooooooo hoooooooo. Your old score was in the mid 20's right??? Like 25 or 26????? So that's a real nice improvement. I had a friend who improved by the same amount of points as you did. She was soooooooooo excited, as so would I be. :D :D :D :D

Congratulations.

THANKS! I really appreciate all your advice/practice tests from this summer :)
YAY! Yea, my old score was 26. I am beyyyyyond excited :)
Thx again! I'll def. be on here from time to time, and then in earnest when I apply in June.

morganlefay said:
THANKS! I really appreciate all your advice/practice tests from this summer :)
YAY! Yea, my old score was 26. I am beyyyyyond excited :)
Thx again! I'll def. be on here from time to time, and then in earnest when I apply in June.

How come you are not applying this year??? Are you waiting so you can do some extra curriculars and have some time off, and apply early??? Or is there some other reason?? Just curious.

BTW Morganlefay,

I never realized you were sooooo young. Again, I wish you :luck: :luck: when you apply next year.

I think for the state schools, you'll have no problem getting in. The only thing I would like to advise is that you do some more clinical work, cuz it seems that there wasn't a whole lot of that in your profile from last year.

But for the best possible advice as to what you should do in this next year, I'd make an appointment to talk to or call up the various Florida schools and see what advice they give you. Mr. Larkin (aka REL on SDN) is always willing to answer questions for anyone about both USF med school and medical school apps in general. I think you'll be fine come June 2006. :D

Pretty late to this thread, maybe because Im disappointed, but Im over it. I will be taking the MCAT again for the fourth and final time. If no improvement Ill be studyin on the beach at SGU:)

9P
5V
M
11B

DrPersistent said:
Pretty late to this thread, maybe because Im disappointed, but Im over it. I will be taking the MCAT again for the fourth and final time. If no improvement Ill be studyin on the beach at SGU:)

9P
5V
M
11B

What state do you live in????

Keep your head up. Here's a story that will cheer you up........

A good friend of mine took the MCAT 3 times.

The first time, after his sophomore year (August MCAT)......
He got the same breakdown as you. Don't know his writing score but his numerical was same as yours.

The next time he took it, he felt he did soooo bad that he voided the test.

Then he took it again and still got the same breakdown but a 6 in verbal and the BS and PS subscore were switched.

He ended up applying 25 schools thinking his only choice would be Ross since he didn't want to do DO route.

Anyhow, out of those 25 schools he got interviewed at two schools (state school and a HBC----he's Indian like moi).

Out of those two schools, he was waitlisted at first but put high enough on the waitlist where he was still bound to get an acceptance. he ended up with an acceptance letter.

BTW, the school at which he got an acceptance interviewed him on the very last possible day of interview season.

So remember the process is arbitrary. I say work hard and take the test again. But remember that the test is only one aspect of the application and if English is your second language, like it was my friend's second language, then at least they'll take that into account.

But not all hope is lost.

I guess I will post my score even though I'm disappointed about it.

V: 7
P: 8
B: 10
W: Q

I was scoring in the low 30s on practice exams, but I blew it on the actual exam 25Q. I suppose I have next to no chance of matriculation this year.

I went to a Top 10 University. GPA ~ 3.6

I think I'm a few weeks late, but I guess I'll play too:

P:13 V:11 W:O B:13 = 37O

1. Your Form (If you remember): CM? I might have made this up, but I think it's right.

2. Your Practice Score Range: 33-40 (Kaplan) 39 (the one AAMC one i took)

3. What you used to Study: Kaplan course materials and my own textbooks

I feel neutral. 37 is the exact average of my 5 Kaplan practice exams, so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, but I was hoping to do better. More than that, I'm shocked at my really low writing score. I'm worried about my chances at top 10-20 schools now, especially after bombing the writing. What do you guys think?? Anyway, I'm glad it's all over and done with. Congrats to everyone on here -- almost everyone seems to have done quite well!

1. Your Form (If you remember):FK

2. Your Practice Score Range:30-35

3. What you used to Study-Kaplan course, AudioOsmosis, old textbooks

Any other comments you'd like to make -
real score
11BS
10VR
8PS
R

well, i got in! so, sure, i would :love: to be able to say "I GOT A 35 ON THE MCAT" but when you are in med school what does it matter? i set my sights on at least double digits (even 10s would have been fine) in each section, so that 8 really stung! but, hey, i did MY PERSONAL BEST that day, and that is all that matters to me!

Anastasis said:
:love: Flattery will get you everywhere! :love:

Edit: What part of Indy are you from? My cousin used to teach in Carmel and my dad's family lives in Broadripple.
:)
Right now I live in Fishers and study in Indy.
Broad Ripple is a great place to live at!

EddieIndy said:
:)
Right now I live in Fishers and study in Indy.
Broad Ripple is a great place to live at!

I know! I really want to get into IU but I know the odds are against me. I assume you're applying to IU - what campus do you want for the first 2 yrs?

Anastasis said:
I know! I really want to get into IU but I know the odds are against me. I assume you're applying to IU - what campus do you want for the first 2 yrs?
Well, you have some family ties there, so I wouldn't give up so soon :)
Being a patriotic Hoosier ( :D ), IU will be the only school I'm applying to. My preferable campus will be the Indy one (It's the main one and has all the hospitals nearby), a distant second will be Bloomington.