{Official} August 16th Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkryptonight

dental schooler.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

anxiously awaiting 8 o'clock thursday morning. think i'll go see the Simpson's movie on wednesday.

i know what you mean, though, i figured nobody was taking it the 16th. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you from Canada or something..? I heard U.S peepz only get the Aug 20th date.

August 16th here as well. Now we all need to get off this forum and get back to studying! ps--simpsons movie is good I LMAO

Hey, I'm writing on the 16th as well. To AXP, I'm pretty sure this test date is open in U.S. - I'm writing in New York after all, haha.

I can definitely vouch for that

Ive been staying home and putting off the other things i have to do so i can study, but i feel like ive come to the point where i just cant study anymore

im just taking pratice sections and whole tests to prep myself for the potential "oh **** this is a crazy passage" moment.

How've you all been doing lately on the aamcs?

i took 7 9 and 10 and got 35, 36, 36 respectively.
just took aamc 8 and got a 37. I doubt these scores are any representation of how ill do on test day tho...it seems like scores tend to deviate by a wide margin.

I'm taking it then too. Man I wish I could sit and look at these books more, I haven't really been able to at all this entire week.

hows everyones nerves holding up?

personally i havent been able to focus for more than 10 minutes in the last few days...figured id finally do a little essay prep

are all of you guys gonna try to come in with some memorized examples? or are some of you gonna just go for it (i heard as long as u fulfill the prompt and dont write too poorly, you'll do great)

good studying

i am writing it on the 16th as well, hoping for a miracle to break the 30.... sad

hopfully the PS and BS are not too hard... and verbal can be more interesting like the EK 101

Members don't see this ad :)
the latter lol. Generally thinking up some examples works just fine for me. Yesterday was the very last day I planned to study, so I went over all the problem areas I had (today is just a test/review answers).

Hey guys,
First off good luck to everyone. Kick ass and take names this coming Thursday. Just wondering, do any of you know what time we're actually going to be starting the test. I know it says 8am and that's the time everyone will be getting there but what time will the actual test begin? 830?

Thanks and good luck!

planning on getting there an hour-ish early. Houston traffic can get really annoying, so doesn't hurt to be prepared.

Also a question. A friend of mine who signed up for the june 15th one went in that day, and they had her down for the wrong time. She had to delay a month because of it. Anyone had any experience with stuff like that?

Frustratdpremed: My nerves are jumping all over the place!

What are you guys doing during the final few days? Here's what I'm doing:

Today: PR Test #8 (VR only), AAMC #5 (VR only), review VR solutions, study BS and PS notes, watch Big Brother 8
Tomorrow am (15th): AAMC #7 (VR only), review VR solutions, study BS and PS notes.
Tomorrow pm: lift weights 30 min, catch up on ESPN, Zzzzz by 9:00pm
Thursday am (16th): test at 8:00am in LA
Thursday pm: anything related to vodka...starting at 1 in the afternoon!!!

I seriously hope that the real test isnt anywhere near as difficult as the TPR ones...theres a huge difference between those and the AAMCs

Oddly enough, im more worried about freaking out on the writing now, seeing as i barely prepared for that (and that you cant really prepare for it much period)

Pretty much ever example i think of has to do with either WWII or the Internet

Is anyone trying to study up until the day of?
Ive just been kinda skimming the book for constants and formulas...otherwise no real work...

What's up my people!! I'm taking the Friday Aug. 16 mcat as well. :sleep: I'm studying right now kinda. I can't wait till this stupid test is over with...

Hey guys,
First off good luck to everyone. Kick ass and take names this coming Thursday. Just wondering, do any of you know what time we're actually going to be starting the test. I know it says 8am and that's the time everyone will be getting there but what time will the actual test begin? 830?

Thanks and good luck!

My test time today was scheduled for 12:00 pm, but I got there at about 11:10 am. I checked in and was ready to go by 11:15 am. At 11:30 am the check-in lady came out and called us back 'if we were ready.' So I think they'll let you start a half hour early if you want.

My test time today was scheduled for 12:00 pm, but I got there at about 11:10 am. I checked in and was ready to go by 11:15 am. At 11:30 am the check-in lady came out and called us back 'if we were ready.' So I think they'll let you start a half hour early if you want.

Good to know! I was going to show up at 8:30.

Hey guys,
So are any of you as jittery as me? I have not been able to sit down quietly since yesterday. Last night, I even dreamed of my program Dean and I having a talk on the MCAT, omg.

So any plans for today guys? I think I'm gonna go to visit the test center and then maybe review my Physics and Bio. I'll try to set an arbitrary deadline of 7 pm to stop studying and just watch TV for the rest of the night... is this good? lol

I don't know about you, but I'm not doing ANYTHING MCAT-related today (well, besides posting on this damn board. . . damn). I don't think my nerves will be settled by trying to cram even MORE info into my brain. I think I first read about the whole "day off before the test" thing in my Kaplan book and then heard about it from testers, and I've since taken it to heart. Thus, I'll be going for a long hike to really work my body out, get a massage (my fiance is a MT. . . eat yer heart out!), watch a movie and get a good night's sleep!

What's up my people!! I'm taking the Friday Aug. 16 mcat as well. :sleep: I'm studying right now kinda. I can't wait till this stupid test is over with...

You should probably consider taking the Thursday Aug. 16th MCAT:D

Anyone else have a gut feeling our's won't be so bad, at least PS/BS wise considering Tues. the 14th's version was probably the worst one yet administered. Looking at the trends (not sure how much truth there is to this) it seems that after the 3 notorious test dates, they were immediately followed by relatively fair ones...my buddy took the one right after the ridiculous one in early July and he got said it was straightforward, w/ 2-3 hard ones and just like the AAMC (he ended up getting a 33)

Good Luck ALL!!!:luck::luck:

Ive really given up on predicting difficulty

everyones got a different idea of a good score...guys with an average practice of 40 are gonna say something different than those who are having difficulty breaking 30 consistently

its all relative i guess

My gut feeling..the real test has to be fairly similar to later aamcs...and evne if it isnt, the curve will adjust it to be close....i know lots of SDN people say the real test is harder than the aamc, but people i actually know (from real life lol) say teh two were comparable. Think about it....the aamc is just retired questions old mcats.

I don't know about you, but I'm not doing ANYTHING MCAT-related today (well, besides posting on this damn board. . . damn). I don't think my nerves will be settled by trying to cram even MORE info into my brain. I think I first read about the whole "day off before the test" thing in my Kaplan book and then heard about it from testers, and I've since taken it to heart. Thus, I'll be going for a long hike to really work my body out, get a massage (my fiance is a MT. . . eat yer heart out!), watch a movie and get a good night's sleep!

Oh Man, I told myself that I won't be studying that much... yet I'm still pouring over my bio notes and I probably will want to look at verbal tonight after dinner... gah =/

My brain hurts too much right now to even reflect! I have such a massive headache. I almost ran out of time on the verbal. I was pressed down to the last 30 sec. On the BS I didn't realize there was another section at the end of it with random questions so I barely got those finished. Basically I think I didn't do so well!

I don't think I did that well either... verbal was same as usual I guess, the writing sample prompts were pretty easy, but both the science sections were HARD!
The BS section was more like verbal with tons of orgo thrown in, and the PS was just weird. The passage with the charged spheres I totally guessed on. I honestly think I got an 8 on PS. For the rest of the test I was just thinking about how I'm gonna have to write it again next year :(

Congrats to everyone who finished today! Take some deep breaths, get your relaxation on!

As a (pre-emptive) reminder, please do not post any specific questions or answers/answer choices from your test, as the material is copyrighted. Doing so will result in a one-week post-hold. General topics of the passages is OK. See this link for more details...

Happy discussion!

(ps, to keep the forum less cluttered, all 8/16 threads will be merged into this one)

PS - Hard. That damn dropper passage threw me off. Also, a lot more calculations then I am used to.

VR- I guess normal but anxiety gets the best of you.

BS- Started off ok then got hard with the antibody passage. I NEVER thought we would have to know structures of the different sugars.

Overall it sucked.

PS - Hard. That damn dropper passage threw me off. Also, a lot more calculations then I am used to.

BS- Started off ok then got hard with the antibody passage. I NEVER thought we would have to know structures of the different sugars.

Overall it sucked.

whoa! sugar structure? like the ring glucose? or just the bonds between monosaccharides?

Not to mention the passage that talked about (and I think this is legit to talk about) making things disappear!?!?!? That made my score disappear.

Overall:
PS: I was averaging 12s on this section... be very lucky to get a 10... probably 8 or 9.
VR: Not too bad. Seemed to be same difficulty as AAMC
BS: Hard. Much harder than AAMC. I was averaging 12s on this... maybe the 10 as well.

All-in-all... demoralizing.

PS - Hard, and REALLY annoying, really hoping for a good curve on this one
VR - a little harder than the cbts.
BS - alright, save for a few. Orgo had a huge range. One of the passages near the end you didn't even have to read to answer the questions, but of course there were some really esoteric questions too.

WTF!

All I can say is that this exam gets worse with every test date.
I retook it after three months of study, and had I studied a year more, I don't think I would have done any better. I feel that the exam just wants you to synthesize content so much. They no longer ask straightforward questions.

PS--As expected, Difficult but do-able, Same topics as always
VB--Not bad,same topic ranges, psych, history, lit
WS--The second one was so dry, I zoned out for 20 mins, couldn't come up with concrete examples.
BS--Just that,BS. :bullcrap:I pray for a good curve on my part. This section was totally unpredictable. And I'm a bio whiz.

Overall the test was difficult, but my experience with Thompson Prometic takes the cake in being BAD.

The proctors were really strict and mean. You can't take your sweater off in the middle of the test, YOUR CAN'T TAKE MORE THAN 10 MIN BREAKS, these proctors stalked the kids. You can't eat anywhere on the floor. It was just really ridiculous. And they didn't let you look at any notes before or during the exam.

I took this at 675 3rd Ave, Manhattan, NY.

:beat:

Just do this guys: :banana:

Don't worry too much, this was just my test experience, I'm sure yours can only be better.

hey guys, congrats on finishing the MCAT! I'm echoing the same feelings, crazy PS section and ok Verbal and Bios/Chem. So know we play the waiting game! Any guesses on when the scores come in?

Yea you have to know specifically what they look like. Strictly memory based.

Overall it sucked.

Wow we had dropped on August 6th exam. Bouyancy god dam it

yea that damn butterfly question was not in the passage and nowhere in the mcat topics list does it say to know that!!

PS - Started off hard then got easy. I did like 1 calculation.
VR - Easier then online practice tests
BS - Lots of genetics, like every passage (and like ******ed genetics w/ wild types, incomplete dominance, ect). Felt more like a verbal section again.

I felt the questions were always asked in a really complicated way. Took me usually like 1 min to decipher what they were asking for. I'd say it's nothing like the written test I took a year ago and not even similar to the online practice tests.

Oh man, what a day it was...

Sciences... all I can say is :wow:

PS - I felt that this was MUCH harder than AAMC. I remember I was shaking as I went through the first few passages. At one point, I even thought melting releases heat... oh god. That just goes to show how bad it was. I'm really hoping for a generous curve here.

VR - I don't know.. I actually finished waay early, which was weird. Now I'm more worried that I skipped a passage than anything because my mouse was acting up during the test. Oh god, I really hope this didn't happen. Otherwise, I'm hoping VR was okay.

WS - was ok. Pretty generic prompts I think, but I did have some time shortage and tried to cram all I can in the last 5 minutes, lol.

BS - oh my god, ridiculous genetics +pissed+. Of all things that could be asked, I get so many genetic questions. Gah, I hate genetics! I echo the comment above regarding caterpillar development, what the heck? Also, the made up renal genetic disease threw me off and I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what the problem was. I still don't know if I reasoned it out right.. on the whole, I thought this was pretty hard.

So overall, in terms of difficulty, I thought it was PS > BS > VR (yes... and VR is my worst section too... I think that says something)

Oh boyy... I'm just kind of nervous on the whole and I'm just crossing my fingers that it turned out all right. 1 month to go, I suppose...

:luck: everyone!

PS: beginning was good. 1st passage: 4 questions on critical reading pretty much. 2nd passage okay. 3nd confused the heck out of me. 4th was that damn droplet thing. then i think i lost confidence for the rest of the test. More calcuations than I expected. Not impossible overall, but just freaking strange.

Verbal: I think i was still in shock from PS. There was one hard passage in the middle but I don't remember what about.

Bio: better than PS. Still some weird questions that don't really test anything that's worth testing (in my opinion).

Overall, I thought the real thing was far from the aamc's. Just be ready to expect something completely weird.