*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound a bit ridiculous... Should you put the number of citations of your paper in the activity for that publication, if it is much different than the average in that journal?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When you have multiple research publications/conference presentations, did you include them in a single entry, or separate entries?

Especially for the research publications, did you simply put the doi and your authorship positions, or is it better to elaborate a bit? Maybe to talk about the journal being one of the most impacted journal in the field?

Would like to see how to efficiently present my research work in AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently underwent a major surgery with several hospitalizations due to post-surgery complications. As a student/patient, I first-hand experienced/learned different procedures (PICC line, NG tube, numerous CT, guided ultrasound for IV, to name a few) performed on me and had lots of patient/doctor interactions. Can I mention this experience in my application? Thank you for your responses.

When you have multiple research publications/conference presentations, did you include them in a single entry, or separate entries?

Especially for the research publications, did you simply put the doi and your authorship positions, or is it better to elaborate a bit? Maybe to talk about the journal being one of the most impacted journal in the field?

Would like to see how to efficiently present my research work in AMCAS.
-Grouping is fine.
-Any format for citation is fine, including abbreviated versions when you are short on space. Long author lists can be shortened by stating your place on the list, the PIs name, and et al. PMID# can substitute for much of a citation if necessary.
-Avoid mentioning Impact factor of the journal.

Other thoughts:
Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or journal deserves its own spot, if you have space. If any of those data sharings came out of the same project, they could be mentioned together in one spot tagged under the highest prestige format:

National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation.

If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

If you were not the presenter for your poster, but your name is on the author list, you can include it, but give credit to the presenter, as research is a team sport, and it's important to give credit where it is due. If you presented, it's fine to say so.

There is little value in using a Conferences Attended slot, if you have already mentioned the name of the conference in a Posters/Presentation or Publications entry.

A manuscript in preparation or submitted doesn't belong on the application, but if you feel compelled to mention it regardless, add it at the end of a research description on the affiliated project.

If you wrote the grant that got funding or navigated an IRB process, mention it.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently underwent a major surgery with several hospitalizations due to post-surgery complications. As a student/patient, I first-hand experienced/learned different procedures (PICC line, NG tube, numerous CT, guided ultrasound for IV, to name a few) performed on me and had lots of patient/doctor interactions. Can I mention this experience in my application? Thank you for your responses.
You might bring it up in a Secondary, or briefly in the PS without much detail as part of the process of deciding on medicine, but in general, it's felt that personal medical experiences shouldn't be listed in the Activities section.

You might bring it up in a Secondary, or briefly in the PS without much detail as part of the process of deciding on medicine, but in general, it's felt that personal medical experiences shouldn't be listed in the Activities section.

I did exactly as you suggested in my PS. Thank you.

I'm a co-founder and secretary of my school's first engineering club. (I'm not an engineer at all, just have a passion for tech!) The main purpose was the standard club activities, building things etc, but we would go and teach kids how to build some cool things (probably around 50 hours with the kids over 2.5 years). Can I try to market this as non-clinical volunteering? I'm super worried that I don't have explicit non-clinical volunteering.

In addition, our club was denied establishment after a year review period (they said it would be expensive and unnecessary), but we went through the process again and got it approved (finally!).

Do you recommend putting this as a MM experience?

I'm a co-founder and secretary of my school's first engineering club. (I'm not an engineer at all, just have a passion for tech!) The main purpose was the standard club activities, building things etc, but we would go and teach kids how to build some cool things (probably around 50 hours with the kids over 2.5 years).

1) Can I try to market this as non-clinical volunteering? I'm super worried that I don't have explicit non-clinical volunteering.

2) In addition, our club was denied establishment after a year review period (they said it would be expensive and unnecessary), but we went through the process again and got it approved (finally!).

3) Do you recommend putting this as a MM experience?
1) If you were to list it as a Community Service - Not Medical/Clinical, you'd want to just list the 50 hours that you spent with the kids plus whatever prep time, organizational meetings towards this end, etc might have been involved. If you list it as Leadership, you could add in the time you spent getting the club up and running as a co-founder and as Secretary, along with those expanded dates. If you list it as Extracurricular, you could include the hours at general meetings plus all the above.

You'd also have the option of splitting it into two spaces/two designations and dividing out the hours (if they are sufficiently substantial for each component) so they aren't double counted.

2) I see no reason to mention this.

3) That's for you to decide, based on its meaning to you and how much space to need to express all your thoughts.

Question about an aspect of clinical volunteering. I volunteered for 3 semesters (not summers so not exactly 1.5 years) and only have about 100hrs. The volunteer coordinator asked me to train some new volunteers (When I started someone who volunteered for over a year trained me). The question is I'm putting the volunteering under "clinical volunteering" obviously but do I include this training part? I'm not sure if that counts as "teaching" or "leadership" or something else, mainly because I only trained like 3 people.

The actual volunteering I did involved calling nurses to ask what patients to visit, and when I found out who you would go in their room and tell them the nurse would like them to go for a walk to exercise etc. Then you would help dress them, get catheters/IV poles, get them a walker etc. (they were mainly transplant patients) and make sure they didn't fall while you walked with them around the hallways. I had to train the new people how to do this and how to properly interact with the patients etc., just not sure if that would count as its own category since I didnt train like 10+ people

Thanks

Question about an aspect of clinical volunteering. I volunteered for 3 semesters (not summers so not exactly 1.5 years) and only have about 100hrs. The volunteer coordinator asked me to train some new volunteers (When I started someone who volunteered for over a year trained me).

1) The question is I'm putting the volunteering under "clinical volunteering" obviously but do I include this training part? I'm not sure if that counts as "teaching" or "leadership" or something else, mainly because I only trained like 3 people.

The actual volunteering I did involved calling nurses to ask what patients to visit, and when I found out who you would go in their room and tell them the nurse would like them to go for a walk to exercise etc. Then you would help dress them, get catheters/IV poles, get them a walker etc. (they were mainly transplant patients) and make sure they didn't fall while you walked with them around the hallways. I had to train the new people how to do this and how to properly interact with the patients etc., just not sure if that would count as its own category since I didnt train like 10+ people
1) The entire activity you describe, both the personal clinical interaction and the training of others to do the same job, could be included in the same entry under Volunteer - Clinical/Medical. While you might separate out the training component and list it under either Teaching or Leadership, the activity will look more substantial if you don't split up the ~100 hours. If you keep them together, you'd want the title of the space to reflect both roles.

Reactions: 1 users
For awards, like distinction, how much should we elaborate on the award or the title sufficient in most cases? I assume that awards like Organic Chemistry award are self-explanatory, but what about awards like Bio Research and Academic achievement award, and Phi Beta Kappa?

For awards, like distinction, how much should we elaborate on the award or the title sufficient in most cases? I assume that awards like Organic Chemistry award are self-explanatory, but what about awards like Bio Research and Academic achievement award, and Phi Beta Kappa?
If it isn't common or self-explanatory, you should include the criteria for the recognition, as space allows. Even for Phi Beta Kappa, they are different from campus to campus.

I assume you will group all of them, in which case the best date to use is the last date you got one of the awards. For a Contact, you might use the College Registrar or equivalent, as they would have the needed records to back you up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical vs. Non-Clinical volunteer question

I spent a few years volunteering as a digital health coach that delivered lifestyle medicine programs focused on diabetes prevention. All of my contact with patients was through FaceTime/Skype etc. Technically, we were face-to-face, but this doesn't quite meet the "close enough to smell patients" criteria that we all use.

That said, would anyone argue that this is clinical volunteering?

Thanks!

Clinical vs. Non-Clinical volunteer question

I spent a few years volunteering as a digital health coach that delivered lifestyle medicine programs focused on diabetes prevention. All of my contact with patients was through FaceTime/Skype etc. Technically, we were face-to-face, but this doesn't quite meet the "close enough to smell patients" criteria that we all use.

That said, would anyone argue that this is clinical volunteering?

Thanks!
are they clients or patients?

Could you say more about how you are defining those categories?
someone posted something a little similar about diabetes education in this thread a few posts ago. are they in a hospital or clinic when you facetime with them? were they referred to you by a doctor or some type of healthcare staff/program? if so I might be able to see it as clinical as they are patients.
or are they at their houses and saw an ad for your program online and you set up a face time? if so, it might be better to list this as non-clinical as they are not patients, and are clients. or "teaching" might be an even better fit.

someone posted something a little similar about diabetes education in this thread a few posts ago. are they in a hospital or clinic when you facetime with them? were they referred to you by a doctor or some type of healthcare staff/program? if so I might be able to see it as clinical as they are patients.
or are they at their houses and saw an ad for your program online and you set up a face time? if so, it might be better to list this as non-clinical as they are not patients, and are clients. or "teaching" might be an even better fit.
Perfect answer. Super helpful. Thank you!

Maybe off topic but anyone else getting the error of "(Providing an email address or a phone for your contact is required)" despite both those fields being filled out? It makes it so I can't save anything. Very strange!

Maybe off topic but anyone else getting the error of "(Providing an email address or a phone for your contact is required)." despite both those fields being filled out? It makes it so I can't save anything. Very strange!

It is not an error message. That is a reminder. You can still finish the activity and it will be saved. Just move on to your next activities.

If I studied abroad for a semester, should I use the "repeated" designation for the activities that I did over 4 years in college? This would be for almost all of my activities. Obviously I couldn't continue them when abroad (junior spring semester) but resumed them when I came back.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I studied abroad for a semester, should I use the "repeated" designation for the activities that I did over 4 years in college? This would be for almost all of my activities. Obviously I couldn't continue them when abroad (junior spring semester) but resumed them when I came back.
This would be a good use of the "Repeated" feature.

Would you all consider "Introduction to Archaeology" to be under the "Behavioral/Social Sciences"? I'm tempted to include it within the sGPA (so "Natural/Physical Sciences") because the emphasis was heavily on techniques used in the fields, which at the very least included knowledge and application of science concepts in chemistry, biochemistry, and biology.

I know that the consensus would probably be "social science," but could I make the case for natural/physical science instead?

Would you all consider "Introduction to Archaeology" to be under the "Behavioral/Social Sciences"? I'm tempted to include it within the sGPA (so "Natural/Physical Sciences") because the emphasis was heavily on techniques used in the fields, which at the very least included knowledge and application of science concepts in chemistry, biochemistry, and biology.

I know that the consensus would probably be "social science," but could I make the case for natural/physical science instead?
You have posted your question in the wrong thread (this one being for questions about the Activities section), but my opinion is that recharacterizing Into to Archeology in such a way won't fly. It's unlikely you can prove that the hard science content exceeded 50% of the course content.

Additional similar questions belong here: *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

You have posted your question in the wrong thread (this one being for questions about the Activities section), but my opinion is that recharacterizing Into to Archeology in such a way won't fly. It's unlikely you can prove that the hard science content exceeded 50% of the course content.

Additional similar questions belong here: *~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*
Oops, my bad!

Yeah I figured and agree. I just listed it as behavior/social science.

So when I'm putting in shadowing hours, do I only put one of the physician's number/email in the main sections, then add the others in the describe activity section? And for start dates, do I only put one, or how should I format that?

edit: also, for the "total hours," do we include the total for only the one listed, or all additional ones we have in the description as well?

Last edited:
Hey so I was in a conference that took place at my undergraduate institute, however, would it be regional conference, since members of other colleges also participated in that conference? Like there were other students from other nearby states, but my college description only says "Sterling Reid Undergraduate conference," so I am wondering if this would be considered a regional conference.

I'm currently studying abroad and would like to mention this experience somewhere on my application. The classes will be listed as "in progress" on the transcript, but the study abroad experience is so much more than classes, and I'm thinking about including this in the activities section as "other." Is this commonly done?

1) So when I'm putting in shadowing hours, do I only put one of the physician's number/email in the main sections, then add the others in the describe activity section?
2) And for start dates, do I only put one, or how should I format that?

3) also, for the "total hours," do we include the total for only the one listed, or all additional ones we have in the description as well?
1) Yes.

2) The dates should encompass all the shadowing included in the space. Specific dates for each doc should be in the narrative.

3) Insert the total of all shadowing hours added together. Subtotals of hours should be in the narrative.

Example:
One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-5/2015: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556

** Spring 2014: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey so I was in a conference that took place at my undergraduate institute, however, would it be regional conference, since members of other colleges also participated in that conference? Like there were other students from other nearby states, but my college description only says "Sterling Reid Undergraduate conference," so I am wondering if this would be considered a regional conference.
As the name of the conference implies that it was local, you'd have to describe that it was not.

Why do you want to list it? Did you present a poster? Did you act as an organizer or administrative staff? You have to decide if it was worth listing. If you presented a poster and it was not a selective process (aka, you were required to participate), add it to the Research description and don't mention it elsewhere. If it was selective, include that fact in your description. If you were a conference organizer, list it, but describe your role carefully.

I'm currently studying abroad and would like to mention this experience somewhere on my application. The classes will be listed as "in progress" on the transcript, but the study abroad experience is so much more than classes, and I'm thinking about including this in the activities section as "other." Is this commonly done?
Describing a Study Abroad experience that made a big impact is often done. "Other" would be the most appropriate designation for such a listing.

As the name of the conference implies that it was local, you'd have to describe that it was not.

Why do you want to list it? Did you present a poster? Did you act as an organizer or administrative staff? You have to decide if it was worth listing. If you presented a poster and it was not a selective process (aka, you were required to participate), add it to the Research description and don't mention it elsewhere. If it was selective, include that fact in your description. If you were a conference organizer, list it, but describe your role carefully.
I presented the poster (I was 1st author), and I don't believe it was required for me to present. So my concern is that I already have 3 other posters (none of which I presented) under one poster section, so would it be foolish to add this to conference or just create a new poster section or add it to the already existing poster section?

I presented the poster (I was 1st author), and I don't believe it was required for me to present. So my concern is that I already have 3 other posters (none of which I presented) under one poster section, so would it be foolish to add this to conference or just create a new poster section or add it to the already existing poster section?
If your first-authored poster endured a selective review process, it might deserve its own space (suitably named First-Authored Poster on XXXX, perhaps). You might seek out the information about criteria for inclusion, including what % of submitted abstracts were accepted for presentation, and then include that in your description. If it was a selective process, and you decide it's "Own-Space Worthy," then you'd have plenty of room to describe how it qualifies as a regional conference in a second Posters/Presentations space (not a Conferences Attended space).

If, OTOH, you discover that everyone who applied was accepted to present their poster, you might just add it to the existing Posters/Presentations space currently dedicated to co-authored, not personally-presented posters. [BTW, be sure to give credit to whomever did do the presenting.]

I worked in the same job in High school and 1 year in college. Should i put the start date at the beginning of college or whenever I started in HS?

What if you are second author on abstracts accepted and presented at national conferences? I have first author peer reviewed pub that I am putting in its own category, but what do I do with this abstract? By the time I apply this same abstract will have been accepted to 2 national conferences, and will be a manuscript-just probably not accepted yet by the time I apply unfortunately. Does this go in a separate section? This has been what I've been working on in my job the past year

I was thinking putting this in its own slot- the abstract title etc. with authors, where it was accepted to- and possibly where the manuscript was submitted if it wasn't accepted by the time I apply.

Last edited:
What if you are second author on abstracts accepted and presented at national conferences? I have first author peer reviewed pub that I am putting in its own category, but what do I do with this abstract? By the time I apply this same abstract will have been accepted to 2 national conferences, and will be a manuscript-just probably not accepted yet by the time I apply unfortunately. Does this go in a separate section? This has been what I've been working on in my job the past year

I was thinking putting this in its own slot- the abstract title etc. with authors, where it was accepted to- and possibly where the manuscript was submitted if it wasn't accepted by the time I apply.
Put the accepted abstract with others already presented at conferences. If you feel compelled to mention a submitted manuscript, add it to your related Research description. Personally, I'd be in favor of not mentioning it and saving it for an update letter later in the cycle.

I have question. So I worked in one psych lab in 1st year, another lab the next 3 years, and in my 4th year I also did independent research in another lab (while still working in the lab joined in 2nd year). In the independent research, I ran participants and trained and managed RAs for my project. Would it be naive to put this under leadership, as this is the closest I have for leadership. And should I group the other two labs in one research experience or separate? Or group all three under one research?

I worked in one psych lab in 1st year, another lab the next 3 years, and in my 4th year I also did independent research in another lab (while still working in the lab joined in 2nd year).
1) In the independent research, I ran participants and trained and managed RAs for my project. Would it be naive to put this under leadership, as this is the closest I have for leadership.
2) And should I group the other two labs in one research experience or separate? Or group all three under one research?
1) It's appropriate to list this as Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere, so long as the dates include only the time where you were managing others and not the time you spent setting up the project before they came on board.

2) How you decide to group them might depend on a) how much space you have remaining to spread out your activities,, b) how much space you need for description (including whether a research activity will be designated as Most Meaningful), and c) whether you feel you are a candidate for elite, research-oriented schools and wish to highlight your time in a lab, or would prefer to de-emphasize the research so as to better appeal to primary-care oriented schools.

I've done an internship for a couple summers and am not sure if I should classify this as research or paid employment (clinical). The job entails explaining informed consents to study patients, asking them some questions for the study, and answering any questions they have regarding the study. Additionally, I gather data from their chart and dissect tissue samples from the patients. Any input on what this should be categorized as would be appreciated.

I've done an internship for a couple summers and am not sure if I should classify this as research or paid employment (clinical). The job entails explaining informed consents to study patients, asking them some questions for the study, and answering any questions they have regarding the study. Additionally, I gather data from their chart and dissect tissue samples from the patients. Any input on what this should be categorized as would be appreciated.
I'd designate it as Research, and name it so the clinical aspect is clear in the title you use. You might include "paid internship" somewhere in the narrative.

If I put my research experience as a most meaningful, is it expected I have something like a publication? My smaller school had limited resources, but I completed a basic senior thesis (which was closer to a lit. review than original data) and feel I learned a lot about the process. My alternatives are a long-term tutoring job and after-school tutoring I recently started. I could talk about all 3 equally but I don't have research already in my PS.

1) It's appropriate to list this as Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere, so long as the dates include only the time where you were managing others and not the time you spent setting up the project before they came on board.

2) How you decide to group them might depend on a) how much space you have remaining to spread out your activities,, b) how much space you need for description (including whether a research activity will be designated as Most Meaningful), and c) whether you feel you are a candidate for elite, research-oriented schools and wish to highlight your time in a lab, or would prefer to de-emphasize the research so as to better appeal to primary-care oriented schools.
So would the total hours also be indicative of only the time I spent leading? Also is running participant considered leadership (where I told the participants what to do, from the start to end?

1) If I put my research experience as a most meaningful, is it expected I have something like a publication?
2) My smaller school had limited resources, but I completed a basic senior thesis (which was closer to a lit. review than original data) and feel I learned a lot about the process.
3) My alternatives are a long-term tutoring job and after-school tutoring I recently started. I could talk about all 3 equally but I don't have research already in my PS.
1) No, whether it would be original, hypothesis-based research (for which the "Research" tag is intended) or a project requiring a literature review (for which the tag "Other" is usually used).

2) Completing a senior thesis, if you regard it as meaningful and want space to discuss it further, could be listed under the "Other" designation, as mentioned above.

3) An activity can be meaningful without having had anything to do with the process of your exploration of medicine as a career. Not all MMs need to be mentioned in the PS.

1) So would the total hours also be indicative of only the time I spent leading?
2) Also is running participant considered leadership (where I told the participants what to do, from the start to end?
1) Correct, though you could mention additional hours on the project in the narrative stating they are not included in the Total Hours listed.

2) The question as phrased isn't clear, but Leadership entails training, delegating, ongoing monitoring, then taking responsibility for overall results. If you did a lot of constant micromanagement, don't emphasize that.

This is my current list, does this seem ok? I have some under the same category (in bold) but the numbers correspond to the 15 slots to fill
My nonclinical volunteering is on the lower end- both don't have more than 50 hours- should I make them one entry combined? Also, I am going to be able to start as a special olympics assistant coach- if this works out do I put that with the other special olympics activities (all one day volunteering) or does it get its own column? I appreciate the help I know this is long

Research
  1. Summer research 2014 at one med school 250hrs
  2. Summer research 2015 at another med school-lead to pub 250hrs
  3. Current lab manager/tech position for past year 2500hrs
Clinical Volunteering
4. Hospital volunteering- 1.5 years, 100hrs only, trained new volunteers
5. Hospice volunteer **starting this month so won't have many hours when I apply)

Non-clinical Volunteering
6. Food Bank
7. Special Olympics

Publications
8. First author paper
9. Do accepted abstracts go under this heading??

Awards
10. List deans list etc. best paper award at summer program

Shadowing
11. List all doctors shadowed

Non-medical employment
12. 4 different jobs- put under one entry

Hobbies

13. Just list them

ECs
14. Does intramural etc go here? I did 3 sports/ 4 years so its a lot, just don't know where it would go since I consider it significant

Other
15. Certifications I have? It's only one, but maybe I could list it under something else?

This is my current list, does this seem ok? I have some under the same category (in bold) but the numbers correspond to the 15 slots to fill
A) My nonclinical volunteering is on the lower end- both don't have more than 50 hours- should I make them one entry combined?
B) Also, I am going to be able to start as a special olympics assistant coach- if this works out do I put that with the other special olympics activities (all one day volunteering) or does it get its own column?

Research
  1. Summer research 2014 at one med school 250hrs
  2. Summer research 2015 at another med school-lead to pub 250hrs
  3. Current lab manager/tech position for past year 2500hrs
Clinical Volunteering
4. Hospital volunteering- 1.5 years, 100hrs only, trained new volunteers
5. Hospice volunteer **starting this month so won't have many hours when I apply)

Non-clinical Volunteering
6. Food Bank
7. Special Olympics

Publications
8. First author paper
9. Do accepted abstracts go under this heading??

Awards
10. List deans list etc. best paper award at summer program

Shadowing
11. List all doctors shadowed

Non-medical employment
12. 4 different jobs- put under one entry

Hobbies

13. Just list them

ECs
14. Does intramural etc go here? I did 3 sports/ 4 years so its a lot, just don't know where it would go since I consider it significant

Other
15. Certifications I have? It's only one, but maybe I could list it under something else?
Comments are made on items in red:

A. No.

B. Leave the pending coach position with the rest of the activity to keep it in context.

3. Could alternatively use Leadership for this entry.

6&7. If you have at least 50 hours each, it's fine to keep them separate.

9. Not unless they will appear in a print, widely distributed journal (not just a brochure meant only for conference attendees). Presentations/Posters is more commonly a better designation, if that's how the abstract's data will be made known.

14. Yes.

15. It is better mentioned along with whatever position you use it for. If you don't use it, don't mention it.

Hey guys, couple of questions:
  1. I had a board position for a sports club; should I categorize this as "Intercollegiate Athletics" or "Leadership"? I have a couple other activities that I may categorize as Leadership.
  2. I presented my humanities paper at a couple undergraduate conferences. Should this be categorized as "Conferences Attended" or "Presentations/Posters"? I'm not sure what the difference is.

1) I had a board position for a sports club; should I categorize this as "Intercollegiate Athletics" or "Leadership"? I have a couple other activities that I may categorize as Leadership.

2) I presented my humanities paper at a couple undergraduate conferences. Should this be categorized as "Conferences Attended" or "Presentations/Posters"? I'm not sure what the difference is.
1) I'd suggest using either "Extracurricular" with the title naming your leadership position, or "Leadership."

2) Use "Presentations/Posters" (or "Other" if you want to distinguish these presentations from those that were based on hypothesis-based research). Make the humanities aspect clear in the title you give the activity space. If the process of being chosen to present was selective or off campus, make that point in your description, as otherwise it will be assumed that you were required to present as part of a course. "Conferences Attended" implies a more passive role.

Status
Not open for further replies.