*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 questions:

1. If I had four first-author abstracts accepted for presentation at a prestigious national conference (3 poster/1 podium), that were also published in an online supplement to a peer-reviewed journal (IF~5), would I cite this under "publications" or "posters/presentations"

2. Should i list each abstract/presentation as a separate activity so I could provide provide 1-2 sentences summarizing the abstract and what the presentation described or is the four citations in one slot enough?

will be applying to a lot of research heavy schools so want to portray this as accurately and favorable as possible!

Members don't see this ad.

-Grouping is fine.
-Any format for citation is fine, including abbreviated versions when you are short on space. Long author lists can be shortened by stating your place on the list, the PIs name, and et al. PMID# can substitute for much of a citation if necessary.
-Avoid mentioning Impact factor of the journal.

Other thoughts:
Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or journal deserves its own spot, if you have space. If any of those data sharings came out of the same project, they could be mentioned together in one spot tagged under the highest prestige format:

National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation.

If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

If you were not the presenter for your poster, but your name is on the author list, you can include it, but give credit to the presenter, as research is a team sport, and it's important to give credit where it is due. If you presented, it's fine to say so.

There is little value in using a Conferences Attended slot, if you have already mentioned the name of the conference in a Posters/Presentation or Publications entry.

A manuscript in preparation or submitted doesn't belong on the application, but if you feel compelled to mention it regardless, add it at the end of a research description on the affiliated project.

If you wrote the grant that got funding or navigated an IRB process, mention it.

1. For abstracts published in a national journal that were also presented at a conference, do they go under 'publications' or 'poster/presentations'?

2. Also, if I served as a manuscript reviewer for a professional peer reviewed journal (IF about 5), do I list that as its own activity and write what skills I obtained/what I gained from the process? or should I just add that I'm a manuscript reviewer in my research activity slot?

3. For posters not presented at a national conference (i.e. only presented at medical school poster day, undergraduate poster day) can I list these together under a posters/presentations tab? or just try to fit them into the research activity slot?

Thanks!

I'm sorry if this question has been asked already.

I am listing an activity on AMCAS that is mostly non-clinical, but also has a significant clinical component to it. I don't have enough space to divide the activity into two parts. I was going to list it as non-clinical but then in the description box, describe the clinical aspects and give a ballpark number of hours as to how much time I spent on clinical work. Does this seem like an acceptable approach?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies, second question.

How should we count hours for activities that encompass all aspects of our lives? For example, I have a research experience that involved conducting research abroad for a couple weeks. Do I count only the hours I spent during those weeks during research? Do I count 24 hours a day*however many days?

Thanks for any clarification

1. For abstracts published in a national journal that were also presented at a conference, do they go under 'publications' or 'poster/presentations'?
Unless it went through the full peer review process like a normal paper in the journal, I wouldn't list it like a paper in the journal. I'd list it as an abstract under posters/presentations.

2. Also, if I served as a manuscript reviewer for a professional peer reviewed journal (IF about 5), do I list that as its own activity and write what skills I obtained/what I gained from the process? or should I just add that I'm a manuscript reviewer in my research activity slot?
That sounds worth an entry to me unless you are already maxed at 15!

3. For posters not presented at a national conference (i.e. only presented at medical school poster day, undergraduate poster day) can I list these together under a posters/presentations tab? or just try to fit them into the research activity slot?
Yes you can list multiple minor presentations as a grouped entry

I am listing an activity on AMCAS that is mostly non-clinical, but also has a significant clinical component to it. I don't have enough space to divide the activity into two parts. I was going to list it as non-clinical but then in the description box, describe the clinical aspects and give a ballpark number of hours as to how much time I spent on clinical work. Does this seem like an acceptable approach?
Sounds reasonable to me

How should we count hours for activities that encompass all aspects of our lives? For example, I have a research experience that involved conducting research abroad for a couple weeks. Do I count only the hours I spent during those weeks during research? Do I count 24 hours a day*however many days?
If you were working full time on the research I'd count it as 40 hrs/week.

Currently working on entering my experiences, and I have a few questions so far:

1.) I'm in my gap years and work two jobs, on part-time and one full-time. The part-time job is supervising a house for adults with mental health disorders, and I'm not sure if I should classify it as non-clinical or clinical work experience. The setting is a literal house, the residents pay rent, live here full-time, etc. However, I did have to obtain a medication manager certification for this position and I do give them their medications. Does that make it clinical? Does it matter?

2.) I'm noticing that most of the experiences I'm choosing to highlight (ones that aren't fluff) do not include any non-clinical volunteering. I've had non-clinical volunteering experiences. Multiple smaller ones, one larger one. However, none of them are anything I really want to include; they don't feel as significant as the other things I've already chosen. I know earlier on this thread there was some talk of how some schools might look at having no non-clinical volunteering as not good. Should I include one of these experiences just to round out this section?

3.) I created one of my two majors in college. My school had a program where you could propose and defend a major and mine got approved. It was a process, which included a mandatory independent study as a senior capstone, and I tailored the major specifically to me (my identity, my interests, etc). Is this something I should/could put as an experience? I allude briefly to this (one sentence) in my personal statement, so I don't feel like I need to, as it's there in the PS and therefore I could talk more about it later on (secondaries, II) if I want to/it comes up.

4.) Will it look bad to not have a letter of rec from my most meaningful experience(s)? I think that one of my most meaningful is going to be my full-time job during my gap year. However, my direct supervisor/manager is remote (works at a site 2 hours away) and although we have a great working relationship, I don't feel she can really speak to my character/abilities adequately enough to write a strong letter, since we've had limited in-person interaction.

5.) I'm a health educator (my full-time job). It's paid work, but more specifically it's teaching (I spend the majority of my time in public middle schools). Do you think its okay to put this as teaching?

I'm sorry there's so many questions! Any feedback would be sincerely appreciated!

I just realized that all of my shadowing experience is labeled under medical/clinical volunteering as it was in conjunction with an internship or program in which I did many other things. Is this going to look strange? I'm worried that at a glance adcoms will think I have 0 shadowing. Should I break them up?

1.) I'm in my gap years and work two jobs, on part-time and one full-time. The part-time job is supervising a house for adults with mental health disorders, and I'm not sure if I should classify it as non-clinical or clinical work experience. The setting is a literal house, the residents pay rent, live here full-time, etc. However, I did have to obtain a medication manager certification for this position and I do give them their medications. Does that make it clinical? Does it matter?
I think the experience/description matters much more than the classification, but I think this could be classified as clinical.

2.) I'm noticing that most of the experiences I'm choosing to highlight (ones that aren't fluff) do not include any non-clinical volunteering. I've had non-clinical volunteering experiences. Multiple smaller ones, one larger one. However, none of them are anything I really want to include; they don't feel as significant as the other things I've already chosen. I know earlier on this thread there was some talk of how some schools might look at having no non-clinical volunteering as not good. Should I include one of these experiences just to round out this section?
To clarify, you are asking if you should use a Most Meaningful on a non-clinical? Or asking if you should include some non-clinical entries at all?

3.) I created one of my two majors in college. My school had a program where you could propose and defend a major and mine got approved. It was a process, which included a mandatory independent study as a senior capstone, and I tailored the major specifically to me (my identity, my interests, etc). Is this something I should/could put as an experience? I allude briefly to this (one sentence) in my personal statement, so I don't feel like I need to, as it's there in the PS and therefore I could talk more about it later on (secondaries, II) if I want to/it comes up.
If you have entries to spare you could put this down as an "Other" entry to describe it. The senior capstone project in particular might be worth an entry, and then you could simply mention the customized major at the start of the entry description?

4.) Will it look bad to not have a letter of rec from my most meaningful experience(s)? I think that one of my most meaningful is going to be my full-time job during my gap year. However, my direct supervisor/manager is remote (works at a site 2 hours away) and although we have a great working relationship, I don't feel she can really speak to my character/abilities adequately enough to write a strong letter, since we've had limited in-person interaction.
I do not think it matters if the letters come from Most Meaningful-related people. After all most letters are from professors and people don't enter classes as most meaningfuls! I'd just make the letter decision based on who you think will best support you.

5.) I'm a health educator (my full-time job). It's paid work, but more specifically it's teaching (I spend the majority of my time in public middle schools). Do you think its okay to put this as teaching?
I'd enter it as paid employment and simply highlight the teaching component in the description.

Reactions: 1 user
I just realized that all of my shadowing experience is labeled under medical/clinical volunteering as it was in conjunction with an internship or program in which I did many other things. Is this going to look strange? I'm worried that at a glance adcoms will think I have 0 shadowing. Should I break them up?
Yes you could create a Shadowing entry and enter all the various shadowing parts there.

Will it look weird if something I logged roughly around 1000 hours isn't considered my most meaningful experience? For context, I have a lot of research experience but I was considering listing my current full time research position (700 hrs so far) as a meaningful experience and not my undergrab lab (1000 hrs) just because I have learned a lot more.

Will it look weird if something I logged roughly around 1000 hours isn't considered my most meaningful experience? For context, I have a lot of research experience but I was considering listing my current full time research position (700 hrs so far) as a meaningful experience and not my undergrab lab (1000 hrs) just because I have learned a lot more.

I'm also applying this cycle and will be doing the same thing. I think we'll be fine.

So I know it's not bad to have less than 15 activities, but is it bad to fill all 15 spaces?

Mine are divided into:

Research
1. Research experience #1 (400 hours up to now, 1200 projected over next year)
2. Research experience #2 (700 hours)
3. Research experience #3 (420 hours)
4. Research experiences #4 - #6 (280, 180, and 240 hours)

Publications/Presentations
5. 2 publications (first-author and fourth-author, both are in peer-reviewed journals), 3 national presentations, couple regional presentations, couple presentations at school, senior thesis on research project

Shadowing
6. Shadowing (90 hours total across 5 doctors)

Clinical Volunteering
7. Volunteering at hospital (100 hours up to now, 200 projected over next year)

Non-Clinical Volunteering
8. Volunteering with inner-city high schoolers through two organizations (30 hours with one organization, 60 projected over upcoming year, 10 hours with other organization)
9. Other community volunteering - food bank (60 hours), international mission trip (50 hours), educational outreach activities with clubs not listed elsewhere on my application (100 hours)

Tutoring
10. Paid tutor through university (220 hours)

Extracurricular Activities
11. Band - several ensembles (2100 hours up to now, 40 projected over next year)

Leadership
12. Band service sorority - President for one year, other officer for one year, service co-chair for one year, member for the rest (2000 hours total, 1300 of those spent on leadership positions)
13. Professional society for major - founded chapter on our campus along with three other people, VP for the first two years the chapter was around (380 hours, 350 of those spent on leadership positions)

Awards
14. Academic and research awards

Other
15. Study Abroad over one summer

Questions:
1. Is this too many activities? Does it look like I'm padding my list?
2. I'm the most worried #8 and #9. The weakest area of my application is my volunteering, in my opinion. #8 is separated because it is things I have done over the last year since starting grad school. The stuff in #9 is all from undergrad.
3. Am I projecting too many hours? They are all things I intend to continue at the same level of commitment I have been putting into them, so I am reasonably confident I will complete the hours. I'm planning on listing the projected hours as a separate repeated entry with the start date of today and the end date being August 2018 since they all should continue until matriculation.

How should we title research experiences? Should we put the title of the project (like "Summer Intern - Project Title") or just our position in the lab?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also put future hours. Like list it as "May 2017 - May 2018, 2000 hours." That's what I did with my gap year position.

If i'm starting my gap year position in September, I can't list it on my EC's.. Should I just mention it in my personal statement?

1. Is this too many activities? Does it look like I'm padding my list?
You might consider combining the research entries that are only ~180-280 hours each, if there is a clean way to do so. However no, using all 15 slots is not going to be a problem, you have a lot of stuff.

2. I'm the most worried #8 and #9. The weakest area of my application is my volunteering, in my opinion. #8 is separated because it is things I have done over the last year since starting grad school. The stuff in #9 is all from undergrad.
You could combine 8-9 as well, actually, if you're looking for things to combo. Having ~250 hours nonclinical and 100 clinical, with some ongoing, is going to be fine imo. It's not strong but it's also not going to keep you from getting interviewed if you have appropriate stats. I only had a couple hundred hours clinical and like 50 nonclinical myself.

3. Am I projecting too many hours? They are all things I intend to continue at the same level of commitment I have been putting into them, so I am reasonably confident I will complete the hours. I'm planning on listing the projected hours as a separate repeated entry with the start date of today and the end date being August 2018 since they all should continue until matriculation.
I think this is the correct approach, as long as it is clear it's an ongoing projected activity and it's clear how much you've actually done so far, so there is no mistaking it for an attempt to pad the hours.

If i'm starting my gap year position in September, I can't list it on my EC's.. Should I just mention it in my personal statement?
Right, you can mention if you want, otherwise can send it as an update after you've worked the new job for a couple months.

You might consider combining the research entries that are only ~180-280 hours each, if there is a clean way to do so. However no, using all 15 slots is not going to be a problem, you have a lot of stuff.

I am going to combine the three that are 180, 240, and 280 into one activity, and they have enough in common that it should be easy to do. I underestimated the 700 hour one and it's actually 1000 hours (I managed to leave out an entire year when I was counting hours, oops!)

You could combine 8-9 as well, actually, if you're looking for things to combo. Having ~250 hours nonclinical and 100 clinical, with some ongoing, is going to be fine imo. It's not strong but it's also not going to keep you from getting interviewed if you have appropriate stats. I only had a couple hundred hours clinical and like 50 nonclinical myself.

That's reassuring!! All of the clinical is within the last year (I decided to apply to medical school in the fall). I'm currently a PhD student, applying for the MD/PhD program at my university, and my MCAT/GPA are strong (526/3.98).

I'm undecided on combining #8 and #9. I don't have anything else to list, so I don't necessarily need another spot (my most significant hobby is band, and that's already listed). I wasn't sure if combining them would make my volunteering look stronger or if it would look like I had a bunch of random experiences that I was trying to link (which is kind of the case). Thoughts?

I think this is the correct approach, as long as it is clear it's an ongoing projected activity and it's clear how much you've actually done so far, so there is no mistaking it for an attempt to pad the hours.

Awesome! I'll be sure to be clear that those are projected hours at my current level of commitment.

That's reassuring!! All of the clinical is within the last year (I decided to apply to medical school in the fall). I'm currently a PhD student, applying for the MD/PhD program at my university, and my MCAT/GPA are strong (526/3.98).

I'm undecided on combining #8 and #9. I don't have anything else to list, so I don't necessarily need another spot (my most significant hobby is band, and that's already listed). I wasn't sure if combining them would make my volunteering look stronger or if it would look like I had a bunch of random experiences that I was trying to link (which is kind of the case). Thoughts?
You are very similar to me then, I was a 4.0/40+ with a mostly researchy narrative and the weakest point for me was service. Rest assured it isn't going to keep you from getting attention. Are you planning to only apply to this one program at your own school, or are you applying out to many MD programs as well?

No need to combine them if you're combining the other research entries and have plenty of spaces now.

So I have an annual conference I attend, and wanted to put it as one of my activities. It is a significant experience of mine as the conference is about patient centered care and engagement, I have gotten private clinics I worked at involved with these programs, and I have also introduced my own systems using things I learned at the conferences at my work places.

Its pretty weird since "Conferences attended" is the only activity without a repeat function, funny since its one of the only times it would come in handy for me... Am I using the wrong experience type? Should I just list the latest conference and describe the rest in my activity section? By adding this, it gives a lot of context to my own work in other activities, so I want to include it some how.

If I am using the "conferences attended" type wrong, what is the actual use of it?

So I have an annual conference I attend, and wanted to put it as one of my activities. It is a significant experience of mine as the conference is about patient centered care and engagement, I have gotten private clinics I worked at involved with these programs, and I have also introduced my own systems using things I learned at the conferences at my work places.

Its pretty weird since "Conferences attended" is the only activity without a repeat function, funny since its one of the only times it would come in handy for me... Am I using the wrong experience type? Should I just list the latest conference and describe the rest in my activity section? By adding this, it gives a lot of context to my own work in other activities, so I want to include it some how.

If I am using the "conferences attended" type wrong, what is the actual use of it?
I'd put it as conferences attended, yes, and then just make it extremely clear in the first line of the description that you attended annually X number of times. It should still be easy to get it across to the reader, even without the repeat function.

Thank you! I also wanted an opinion on something else as well. So as of now I have 14 relevant experiences (I had a gap year) and wanted to include hobbies. I have 4 that are all equally significant to me, but I don't know which to include since I only have 1 space left. I feel like they all speak to who I am! I'm assuming its not worth deleting one of these other activities to include a 2nd hobby.

Woodworking (sold some art pieces, translated this into building homeless shelters as a carpenter which is one of my other activities)
Solo backpacking travel (3 mo in Europe, 1 mo in US, if I don't include this I will have like an 8 month gap with nothing going on lol)
Cooking (My actual favorite one, I cook gourmet, 1 comp where I won but nothing super significant)
Mountain sports (I spent thousands of hours mountain biking, snowboarding, fishing. I'm good, but never trained to compete)

Thank you! I also wanted an opinion on something else as well. So as of now I have 14 relevant experiences (I had a gap year) and wanted to include hobbies. I have 4 that are significant to me, but I don't know which to include since I only have 1 space left. What do you think of my activity list so far, and wanted an opinion on which hobby to include? I'm assuming its not worth deleting one of these other activities to include a 2nd hobby, unless any of them seem like fluff.

Woodworking (sold some art pieces, translated this into building homeless shelters as a carpenter which is one of my other activities)
Solo backpacking travel (3 mo in Europe, 1 mo in US, if I don't include this I will have like an 8 month gap with nothing going on lol)
Cooking (My actual favorite one, I cook gourmet, 1 comp where I won but nothing super significant)
Mountain sports (I spent thousands of hours mountain biking, snowboarding, fishing. I'm good, but never trained to compete)
Can you not list all the hobbies under a single entry? That kind of format with the subject and brief details is perfect. I'd also probably put the travelling first, since it explains what you were doing for that big gap.

Can you not list all the hobbies under a single entry? That kind of format with the subject and brief details is perfect. I'd also probably put the travelling first, since it explains what you were doing for that big gap.

Stoked on this great idea, thanks :)

I have a poster that I presented at a national conference. Do I list the poster and then also list the conference? That seems redundant. I'd think it'd be assumed that I attended the conference if I presented a poster there.
The official way to cite a poster should have the conference it was presented at (and dates) contained in it, so yeah just the one.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless it went through the full peer review process like a normal paper in the journal, I wouldn't list it like a paper in the journal. I'd list it as an abstract under posters/presentations.

That sounds worth an entry to me unless you are already maxed at 15!

Yes you can list multiple minor presentations as a grouped entry

Sounds reasonable to me

If you were working full time on the research I'd count it as 40 hrs/week.

For the manuscript reviewer entry as an activity, would I list it under "Research/Lab" or "Honors/Awards/Recognition" or "Extracurricular Activity"? And for the description would I list the journal name again, impact factor and write about the skills I obtained from the review process and how those can help me in medicine etc...

For the manuscript reviewer entry as an activity, would I list it under "Research/Lab" or "Honors/Awards/Recognition" or "Extracurricular Activity"? And for the description would I list the journal name again, impact factor and write about the skills I obtained from the review process and how those can help me in medicine etc...
Extracurricular I think.

You don't necessarily have to tie the skillset you honed into the medical/clinical side, if you are selling yourself as a future academic it is fine just to talk about how it has been valuable in improving yourself as a researcher/scientist.

You are very similar to me then, I was a 4.0/40+ with a mostly researchy narrative and the weakest point for me was service. Rest assured it isn't going to keep you from getting attention. Are you planning to only apply to this one program at your own school, or are you applying out to many MD programs as well?

No need to combine them if you're combining the other research entries and have plenty of spaces now.

Nice! Good to know that others with similar experiences to mine have found success! :)

I'm only applying to my current school for now because I love my PhD program and advisor and don't want to leave. If I'm not accepted this cycle, I'll finish my PhD and apply more broadly to MD programs afterward.

Nice! Good to know that others with similar experiences to mine have found success! :)

I'm only applying to my current school for now because I love my PhD program and advisor and don't want to leave. If I'm not accepted this cycle, I'll finish my PhD and apply more broadly to MD programs afterward.
Do they offer early decision? Sounds like you've already got everything planned out!

Do they offer early decision? Sounds like you've already got everything planned out!

They don't. :( I would apply ED if they did, but they only do the normal process.

I'm confused on what category I should list a few experiences under. I held leadership positions in all of them, but noticed that the application says not listed elsewhere for leadership. So if I listed an activity as "Vice-President of Club" or "Treasurer of Volunteering Organization", then is it redundant to list it under the category of leadership and better to list it as an extracurricular activity or nonclinical volunteering? Or is it important for med schools that look for applicants by sorting by categories?

I'm confused on what category I should list a few experiences under. I held leadership positions in all of them, but noticed that the application says not listed elsewhere for leadership. So if I listed an activity as "Vice-President of Club" or "Treasurer of Volunteering Organization", then is it redundant to list it under the category of leadership and better to list it as an extracurricular activity or nonclinical volunteering? Or is it important for med schools that look for applicants by sorting by categories?
I think you are meant to only put it under leadership if it doesn't fit under something else - so if you are involved with a volunteering organization and then eventually join the executive board as treasurer, you'd list it as a Volunteering entry and just mention/describe the leadership component in the title/description box.

Thank you to everyone who has been kindly answering questions.
If my research and associated publication are two separate entries, can I just list the same number of hours for both if almost all of the time was spent on the single publication?
e.g.
Research Activity: 300 Hrs
Publication: 300 Hrs.

Thank you to everyone who has been kindly answering questions.
If my research and associated publication are two separate entries, can I just list the same number of hours for both if almost all of the time was spent on the single publication?
e.g.
Research Activity: 300 Hrs
Publication: 300 Hrs.
I wouldn't double-list hours like that. I would put a 0 in the hours for the publication.

Hey everybody! This is my current list. I had some questions that hopefully you all can help with ;) I appreciate you!

Research
1. Basic science research (about 2 years); I presented my research in front of faculty and students at a symposium on two different occasions. Would this count as a presentation?
2. Clinical Research (600 hrs); Aside from data analysis and all that good stuff, this activity included interacting with patients, consenting them onto studies, collecting data intraoperatively, etc. Should I separate some of these hours into clinical volunteering?

Clinical Volunteering

3. Volunteer at various free heath fairs (24 hours)
  • Volunteer at pediatric clinic (30 hours); this activity included various responsibilities. I transferred paper medial charts to a new electronic medical system; helped move heavy boxes of medical supplies (I was the only male for some reason), and I held a small workshop about hand hygiene in the waiting room. Is this clinical or no? Include this with above?

Nonclinical Volunteering

4. Volunteer at a Ronald McDonald House (50 hours)
  • Assistant in elementary after school program (25 hours); I helped them after school with their homework. Should this be in teaching? Should I include this activity with the above experience?
Shadowing
5. Shadowing (~70 hr); Vascular surgery, Internal Med

Paid Employment (Non-medical)
6. Sales associate (1800 hrs ) and Front gate attendant (300 hours); Should I separate these or keep them together?

Paid Employment (Medical)
7. ER Scribe (1100 hours)

Teaching/Tutoring
8. Involved in a program that exposed high school students to surgery. I helped introduce them to various surgical skills (150 hours)

Extracurricular/Other?
9. Pre-medical summer program (200 hours)
10. Pre-medical summer program #2 (300 hours)
  • I was unsure of what category these should be placed in
Awards
11. Deans List/Presidents List; worth including?

Leadership
12.. Various officer positions
  • Social media coordinator and VP of one on-campus org (2 years)
  • Volunteer coordinator of another (1 year) ; for this one, a large number of hours went into coordinating groups to volunteer at a Ronald McDonald House and other activities I participated in. Should I separate the hours or include them in my volunteering?
13. Executive director of large pre-medical conference (1000 hours)

Hobbies
14. two different hobbies that keep me sane

Please let me know if I should change anything. Once again, thank you for the help!

1. Basic science research (about 2 years); I presented my research in front of faculty and students at a symposium on two different occasions. Would this count as a presentation?
Presenting at your school's research symposium can be listed as a poster presentation yeah. You can also just include mention in the research activity description that you presented at the symposium.

2. Clinical Research (600 hrs); Aside from data analysis and all that good stuff, this activity included interacting with patients, consenting them onto studies, collecting data intraoperatively, etc. Should I separate some of these hours into clinical volunteering?
Were you given $ or credits? If so, don't count any of it as volunteerism.

Assistant in elementary after school program (25 hours); I helped them after school with their homework. Should this be in teaching? Should I include this activity with the above experience?
I'd list as volunteering. You could def combine them since it is only 75 hours total.

Sales associate (1800 hrs ) and Front gate attendant (300 hours); Should I separate these or keep them together?
Together is fine unless you're unable to fit the full description you want to

Extracurricular/Other?
9. Pre-medical summer program (200 hours)
10. Pre-medical summer program #2 (300 hours)
  • I was unsure of what category these should be placed in
What did you do during the premed program? Shadowing? Volunteering? Research?

Awards
11. Deans List/Presidents List; worth including?
I included Deans List

Volunteer coordinator of another (1 year) ; for this one, a large number of hours went into coordinating groups to volunteer at a Ronald McDonald House and other activities I participated in. Should I separate the hours or include them in my volunteering?
To clarify, this is the same as 4 (Ronald McD Volunteering)? Is the 50 hours including coordinating time or not including that?

What did you do during the premed program? Shadowing? Volunteering? Research?
These programs consisted of multiple components (lectures, MCAT prep, etc). I have already separated the shadowing and volunteering. I'm just wondering where to put the general description of the programs. One will be a MM.

To clarify, this is the same as 4 (Ronald McD Volunteering)? Is the 50 hours including coordinating time or not including that?
Yes, the same RMH. The 50 hours is the amount of time I actually volunteered, not the time coordinating. I helped gather students for other volunteering events as well.

would being in a BS/MD program (nonbinding so we're allowed to apply out) be something to include? say, under Honors/Awards?
Ooh this is an interesting one. Did you win a scholarship to pay tuition as part of it? Or is it just the guaranteed med seat? I feel like it might not be the best thing to advertise that you are already holding an admit but I really don't know for sure on that point.

These programs consisted of multiple components (lectures, MCAT prep, etc). I have already separated the shadowing and volunteering. I'm just wondering where to put the general description of the programs. One will be a MM.
Huh...I am surprised to hear MCAT prep type program could be a MM but to answer the original question I'd say Other or EC would both be fine.

Yes, the same RMH. The 50 hours is the amount of time I actually volunteered, not the time coordinating. I helped gather students for other volunteering events as well.
I think I'd make it all under one RMH entry rather than trying to split the shifts and coordination time into two separate entries. I'd count the hours spent coordinating as service hours.

@efle that's what i was thinking. i did get a merit scholarship, which I included, but it's probably best not to state it upfront. thank you :)

@efle that's what i was thinking. i did get a merit scholarship, which I included, but it's probably best not to state it upfront. thank you :)
I think you absolutely can put the merit scholarship. Just...yeah maybe don't mention that it is BS/MD.

Huh...I am surprised to hear MCAT prep type program could be a MM but to answer the original question I'd say Other or EC would both be fine.
It was a small component. The program was designed for disadvantaged students, and the amount of time/effort the faculty invested created very memorable and motivating experiences.

I think I'd make it all under one RMH entry rather than trying to split the shifts and coordination time into two separate entries. I'd count the hours spent coordinating as service hours.
Sounds like plan!

Hi, I took three years after finishing undergrads to live and work abroad. It's been interesting picking and choosing which activities to list. Here is my tentative list in descending order of hours (in parenthesis). I put an asterisk (*) next to the two activities that I deemed most meaningful. I have a few questions:

Question 1: Is this list too long or full of fluff? I am aware that most applicants list 10 to 11 activities. If so, how can I condense it?
Question 2: Is the list well balanced? Do I have too much of one thing and not enough of another?
Question 3: How do you assign a number of hours to hobbies?
Question 4: Are any titles too cryptic?

1. *Teaching and Living Abroad in Japan (4500) - Paid Employment - Not Medical/Clinical
2. Computational Chemistry Summer Research (400) - Research/Lab
3. Polymer Chemistry Summer Research (360) - Research/Lab
4. Chemistry Stockroom Assistant (136) - Paid Employment - Not Medical/Clinical
5. Physician Observation (110) - Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
6. Health Awareness Club Officer (100) - Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
7. *Volunteering at a Pediatric Clinic (99) - Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
8. Japanese Proficiency Test Certification (50) - Honors/Awards/Recognitions
9. Laboratory Teaching Assistant (32) - Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant
10. Safety and Community-Building Vice Coordinator (25) - Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
11. Athletic, Musical, and Linguistic Interests (25) - Hobbies
12. National and Regional Poster Presentations (20) - Presentations/Posters
13. Academic Recognition and Honors (10) - Honors/Awards/Recognitions

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to fit in an Awards/Honors/Recognitions section. I have Dean's List 6x, PBK, a departmental prize, and a small grant/award for summer research, so I feel like I should include this section, but I honestly don't want to delete any of my other activities at its expense, because these are actual activities.

1. Student-Athlete (2.5 years)
2. Shadowing (all combined)
3. Summer 2014 research internship
4. Member of the first graduating class of a new College/major at my school. I had a lot of input/feedback and semi-extracurricular activities associated with it.
5. Volunteer teaching science lessons to elementary school students
6. Teaching Assistant (all combined)
7. Undergraduate Research Assistant
8. Staff Writer (school newspaper)
9. Hobbies and Activities
10. Clinical Research Coordinator (only for a couple months, but it was full time and I did a lot while I was there)
11. Clinical Research Coordinator (different from #10)
12. First Author - Research Publication [associated with my undergraduate research]
13. Volunteer with a unique program fighting homelessness
14. Patient transport and patient escort volunteer
15. Women's shelter volunteer

Thoughts?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to fit in an Awards/Honors/Recognitions section. I have Dean's List 6x, PBK, a departmental prize, and a small grant/award for summer research, so I feel like I should include this section, but I honestly don't want to delete any of my other activities at its expense, because these are actual activities.

1. Student-Athlete (2.5 years)
2. Shadowing (all combined)
3. Summer 2014 research internship
4. Member of the first graduating class of a new College/major at my school. I had a lot of input/feedback and semi-extracurricular activities associated with it.
5. Volunteer teaching science lessons to elementary school students
6. Teaching Assistant (all combined)
7. Undergraduate Research Assistant
8. Staff Writer (school newspaper)
9. Hobbies and Activities
10. Clinical Research Coordinator (only for a couple months, but it was full time and I did a lot while I was there)
11. Clinical Research Coordinator (different from #10)
12. First Author - Research Publication [associated with my undergraduate research]
13. Volunteer with a unique program fighting homelessness
14. Patient transport and patient escort volunteer
15. Women's shelter volunteer

Thoughts?

I would say you can combine the following:

Undergraduate Research Assistant+First Author - Research Publication [associated with my undergraduate research] = same place just add in the section that title of the publication and any info etc. (PI name should be same for both)

Volunteer with a unique program fighting homelessness+Women's shelter volunteer = Non-clinical volunteer (maybe combine)

Clinical Research Coordinator(different from #10) +Clinical Research Coordinator (only for a couple months, but it was full time and I did a lot while I was there) = the title is the same its just like you combining shadowing together

Don't see why this "Member of the first graduating class of a new College/major at my school. I had a lot of input/feedback and semi-extracurricular activities associated with it." is included but you probably should have space if you combine the above^^

So I recently became a chief scribe, after being a normal scribe for a month. How do I list this date wise? like I will keep this up for another year such that it will be 14 months of chief scribe by the time I matriculate, and one month of scribe.

Also I plan on putting this under leadership, would that be appropriate?

Last edited:
I did Spanish translation and scribing at a county clinic back a few years ago, and again at a free mobile clinic for the last few months.

I don't currently have an honor's and awards section, yet I already have 15 activities. So what do you guys think would look better, separating these activities since temporally they are far apart, or combine them since they are similar and add the honors section? For my honor's section though, what I have is Dean's list and graduating the honor's program, no PBK or scholarships.

Also I did paid tutoring for like 40 hours... Worth mentioning this anywhere? I feel like it is pretty menial and it doesn't fit under the headings of my other activities.

Last edited:
Hey there! Similar predicament as most others. Just want to make sure that I can maximize my space as best as possible. Here is what i have so far:

Research
1. Summer Internship (400+ hours, co-author on paper, poster, conference to present work)*
2. Capstone Project [English thesis + research] (600+ hours); entrepreneurial competition & award for research project
Publications/Presentations
3. Summer Internship conference (presented poster + powerpoint)
4. National conference (won two awards, presented research from #1)
5. Smaller conference (won one award, presented research from #1)
Shadowing
6. Shadowing (3 doctors, 50 hours)
Clinical Volunteering
7. Leadership within organization + two years volunteering (400+ hours)*
8. Clinic Volunteering (~40 hours; two times/month while working full-time)
Non-Clinical Volunteering
9. College recruiting for job (~40 hours)
10. Shelter volunteering (~30 hours)
Employment
11. Full time Job (working for 10 months, too many hours smh lol)*
Tutoring/Mentoring
12. Peer Mentor (3 years, 5 hr/week)
13. TA (3 years, 5 hr/week)
14. Part time tutor for young kids (1 year, ~100 hours)
Extracurricular Activities
15. Sports club (~60 hours)
16. National Society for Engineers organization (4 years, ~100 hours)
Leadership
17. Leadership within honors frat (~100 hours)
18. Leadership within job-related volunteer organization (~60 hours)
Awards
19. Dean's List (all semesters of college)

======
Questions:
1. Can I just combine my presentation (#3) with its associated internship (#1)
2. A lot of great outcomes have come out of my internship (paper + poster namely), but I don't think I have room to list each separately. Is it okay to have that much together within one entry? It's one of my most meaningful experiences, so I figure I have a bit more room to work with.
3. Can I combine the two conferences (#4 & #5) to be one entry since I presented the same research? And is it okay to just classify this as a presentation even though I won awards at both of them?
4. I had leadership at one of my clinical volunteering slots. One year, I was a regular volunteer and the next, I obtained leadership + still volunteered ... keep it as clinical & just mention the leadership or vice versa?
5. Since I have a laundry list of items, are there any in particular that should just be cut? Or should I eliminate things that aren't that meaningful to me?

Any other recommendations for consolidation would be great!

Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.