*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Work/Activities Tips Thread 2017-2018*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Post was found in a bottle washed up on the mod team's private island.

The AMCAS Application will be opening soon, and with it comes a ton of questions. The "Work and Activities" Section is probably the most talked about section. For reference, here are three older threads that contain lots of valuable information about this section:

Great tips for entering your "Work/Activities" for AMCAS (2005-2010 thread)
*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~* (2011-2012 thread)
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*
*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

(Even though these threads are all quite long, you can still search those threads to find useful answers to your question)

All new threads dealing with this topic in Pre-Allo will be merged into this thread.

In the first few posts, the Moderation staff will be compiling a FAQ. Any suggestions for the FAQ are appreciated.

REMINDER: Each thread has a search function. Please use it.

This thread is brought to you by the Pre-Allopathic Volunteer Staff. Ask away, and good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Please Note: This is a particularly difficult section of the application. On almost every point there are differing opinions, and ultimately you need to create the work and activities section that is best for you, but being consistent is important. Take all advice offered here as a piece of the solution, but often not the ultimate word on the subject.

This FAQ is a work in progress and has been built by many contributors over many years. Any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated, especially when editing is needed to reflect changes in the AMCAS application form.

Work and Activities FAQ

1. What is the Work/Activities Section all about?
This is where you get to talk about your extracurricular activities, or "ECs" as they are referred to around SDN. This includes things like research experience, tutoring, academic awards, volunteer experience, clinical experience, etc. Everything that you ever wanted an admissions committee member (AdCom) to know about you to show that you are in fact a good candidate for medical school.

2. What kinds of categories can I put things in?
Artistic Endeavors
Community Service/Volunteer - Medical/Clinical
Community Service/Volunteer - Non Medical/Clinical
Conferences Attended
Extracurricular Activities
Hobbies
Honors/Award/Recognition
Intercollegiate Athletics
Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
Military Service
Other
Paid Employment - Medical/Clinical
Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical
Physician Shadowing/Clinical Observation
Presentations/Posters
Publications
Research/Lab
Teaching/Tutoring/Teaching Assistant

3. What kinds of things should I put in each category?
Part of this will be a judgement call. Adcoms are aware that things may fall into more than one category. For instance, if you are a Lead TA, you may want to separate it into two entries, one for Leadership and the other for Teaching/Tutoring. If you feel like you are more deficient in one category than another, then you may want to list it in the category where you are lacking something to balance out your application.

Some examples of things to list in each category:

Leadership - Not Listed Elsewhere
-Club officer
-Student activism/government/Greek activities
-Starting a non-profit/student organization/business

Honors/Awards/Recognitions
-Academic awards such as honor societies, dean's list, etc.
-Interesting certifications or recognitions you have such as a black belt in a martial art, placing in a competition, certified as pilot, etc.
-Received competitive research position or project funding for which you applied.
-Phi Beta Kappa

Community Service - Medical/Clinical
-As LizzyM likes to put this one, if you are close enough to SMELL patients, it is clinical. This is pretty much the prevailing wisdom on SDN.

Community Service - Non Medical/Clinical
-If it doesn't fall into the above, you didn't get paid for it, and it isn't a leadership or teaching opportunity, it probably falls here
-Include things like volunteering for non-profits and charitable organizations, volunteer work you have done at your school, etc.

Teaching/Tutoring/TA
-Includes not just TA or tutor, but also mentoring and coaching.

Most of the other categories should be pretty self-explanatory.

4. They are giving me a lot of space to describe each activity....how the heck should I enter them in? Is less more? Should I use up all available space?
Unfortunately...you will never get a clear cut answer to this one. But we can give you some possible techniques and advice

A - One school of thought is that this is not the time to pontificate. Describe the activity if it needs describing (if you think it is something an AdCom member will not know about) and otherwise, be pithy with your description. Many think that talking about what you learned from the activity is not appropriate in this section, and is better saved as material for secondary applications.

B - Another school of thought is that this is exactly the place to address why you got involved and/or what you learned from an activity because you may not get another chance in a secondary application. Those from California especially feel this pressure since most of the secondaries at California Med Schools are screened (you do not automatically get a secondary; they review your primary application first and decide if you are worthy). Because of this it is tempting to spew as much as possible here.

C - Approach C is a combination of the two approaches. Spew when necessary (an unusual activity that may need a little bit more explanation to understand its depth, and you learned a lot from but you are NOT addressing in your PS) and limited description of commonplace application items (ER scribe, general hospital volunteer, MCAT teacher/tutor).

You can really go down two general paths when it comes to entering the activities in: paragraph form or bullet points. Go with what comes most naturally to you, and don't force yourself to conform to a style that you think is inappropriate for the information you are trying to convey and your writing style.

Another trick for entering your activities is to use a catchall description that allows you to enter several different activities under one heading so that you are not wasting multiple spots. For example:
Activity: "Undergraduate Work Experience". Category: Paid Employment - Non Medical/Clinical.
Input the other header information (time span, total hours, contact, etc) for the first activity listed. Similar info for the additional experiences would be put in the narrative space.
Starbucks Barista
-Responsible for training new employees, customer service, and product ordering.
-Worked while attending school full time

Also:
Paid Intern - June 2016 - August 2016
-Worked at the Mayor's Office for the City of Memphis.
-Responsible for...
-Worked 40 hours per week while taking 1 summer class. Total Hours 400

Summer Grocery Store Worker - May 2015 - August 2015
-Worked as a cashier for a major grocery store chain
-Worked 30 hours per week while attending school. Total Hours 600
-Responsible for....

5. Is work experience really that important for me to list? Who is going to care if I worked at a grocery store for 2 years, 20 hours a week, while in college? The Work/Activities section is there for you to show off all of your skills. Holding down a job while continuing to be a learner (student) is a huge skill that not every medical student can bring to the table. It also shows commitment and an ability to tolerate some suckage, something that every job has, no matter how much you may love it on some days.

6. Should I really list that I was on the dean's list/in an honor society?
Again....two schools of thought here. One is that many applicants have these things, so why list them, when your GPA speaks for itself. The other is that they won't know unless you tell them.

Again, a good trick for entering activities is to have a catch-all category like "Academic Recognition" where you then list the X number of awards/recognition that you have received. That way you are not taking up multiple spaces for things you don't want to emphasize.

7. Do AdCom members really contact people in the "Contact Information" field of this section? What should I do if I don't have a good contact for an activity?
In the past, AdCom members rarely contacted these people. However, the application changed a few years ago to require either a phone number or email address for a contact for most activities listed. Especially if an LOR about the activity was not submitted, be sure your contact is up-to-date and even forewarned, particularly if the activity was substantial and adds great appeal to your candidacy. Some schools check these in detail (often after accepting you) and others not so much, but you won’t know which is which.

There are certainly some activities that are difficult to list a contact, like an activity long ago. Here are a few hints: It is best to include the most impartial person possible (so list your mom as your absolute last resort) but you might find the need to list your roommate or your friend as a contact. Remember, if the contact is called or emailed, he or she only needs to provide reassurance to the adcomm that you described the activity and timeframe faithfully. These are contacts, not references, so the person who responds does not need to answer questions about your performance or abilities to succeed in medical school.

8. Most Meaningful Activities
8a. Is there any benefit to marking three activities as "Most Meaningful" vs. just one?

Again, there are several schools of thought on this issue:
i. You are only obliged to list one activity as "Most Meaningful." If you can express yourself in the first 700 characters, adding 1325 characters about two other activities might bore admissions committee members.
ii. Admissions committees will pay special attention to the activities marked as "Most Meaningful" so mark three activities that are the strongest part of your application. Be sure not to add fluff in the extra space, perhaps including a concise story to help illustrate the "transformative nature of the experience."

8b. What happens if I wrote about my most meaningful activities in my personal statement?
It is best not to repeat information on your application. There are two options:
1. Pick different activities as your "Most Meaningful".
2. Rework your personal statement. For example, you could use your Personal Statement to address a specific story, patient, or moment, then use the "Most Meaningful" box to provide a more general, big picture message from the activity.

8c. Can I use the "Most Meaningful" box to continue the description of my activity? For example, can I use it to list the citations for all my posters and presentations?
Yes, but it is best to use the box as AMCAS suggests on the application, also. Some creativity will be tolerated. Don't feel obliged to fill the entire space.

9. If I talk about something in my personal statement, should I still mention it in my Work/Activities Section?
Yes, definitely. Don't assume that the same reader will have access to your entire application. Be sure to review Depakote's Personal Statement Guide/Tips since it is a bad idea to have your PS simply serve as a regurgitation of your Extracurricular activities.

10. How should I list Physician Shadowing?
Some recommendations when listing physician shadowing: Group all of your shadowing together, giving a total hours for all included physicians. Additional relevant information such as specific dates, subtotaled hours, title ("MD" or "DO"), level of training if not an attending (resident, fellow, etc.), or other notes about the shadowing (i.e. shadowed only during office hours for a surgeon, only during image reading for a radiologist, etc.) can be included. There's no need to describe what shadowing is.

Here's an example of how shadowing can be listed:
Experience Type: Physician Shadowing
Title: Physician Observation
Total Hours: Total hours shadowed for all docs included in the space.
Contact info, organization name, and dates: Use the info for the first physician you want to list.
Description:

John Patel, D.O., Family Medicine resident
13 hours in May 2017

Also:
Jill Rosenbloom, M.D., Pediatrician
New York Pediatrics
800-000-0000
20 hours in June 2016

Jane Santos, M.D., General Surgeon
New York Surgical Associates
800-000-0000
13 hours in January and February 2016, during general and bariatric office hours

James Ruzic, M.D., Radiologist
New York Radiology Associates
[email protected]
7 hours in May 2015, during image reading

11. How many spaces are there for activities? How many of them should I use? Should I be trying to fill them all?
You have 15 spaces to list your activities. However, most applicants DO NOT use all of them, in fact, 9-10 are the average used. You should not try to "spread out" your activities for the sake of filling more slots. Be sure that every activity is worthy of being included and that they all improve the admission committee's understanding of you as the applicant.

12. Should I really be talking about my hobbies or artistic endeavors?
If you have some, then list them, especially those that are unusual! Adcomm members like to know what you do to relieve stress and unwind. Group them all together. In a sea of look-alike activities, hobbies may be what helps make you memorable: "That dumpling-maker applicant" or "The fly fisherman."

Some are confused between listing an activity as a hobby or an artistic endeavor. The prevailing SDN opinion about artistic endeavors is that they involve reaching a wider audience (ie publishing or performing instead of just writing and practicing). A hobby is more personal with a limited audience.

13. Should I list something that I plan for the future but haven't started yet? Can end dates be projected into the future?
The AMCAS application will not accept future months for your start date. If an activity is ongoing, the end date can be no later than the intended start of medical school (eg, August at the end of the current cycle). Note that some categories only require one date, like Awards, Presentations/Posters, and Publications.

14. How should I list publications? What if I have "submitted manuscripts," not actually accepted yet?
Publications are worthy of their own slot, even if you already have a "Research" slot. For a contact, use the PI that you worked with. For organization, you can use the name of the organization that publishes the journal. For date, use the publication date, or if accepted for publication but not yet published, use the acceptance date. In the description, it is a good idea to include enough of a citation for an adcomm member to find the paper if he/she is curious enough to look it up. Include enough of the author's list so that your place in the authorship can be determined, or state that you are the third author.

Do not consider an poster or presentation abstract published in a Conference Proceedings Booklet to be a "Publication" for AMCAS purposes. If the abstract were to appear in a paper journal (or a supplement to one) and be PubMed searchable, then you can call it a Publication for AMCAS purposes (and you'd include the word "[Abstract]" in the citation).

If a publication is only submitted or needs major revisions, then it is still a future activity which you cannot include. If it is published, accepted for publication, or accepted pending minor revisions then you can include it.

15. How far back should I go listing activities?
Any activity you engaged in after High School graduation may be considered potentially relevant. Strictly speaking, there is no rule that you can't include a High School-only activity, but if you do so, it should add substantially to your application, so you aren't wasting space for something that adcomms are unlikely to regard. This would include Experiences that began during HS (or even before) and either continued into the college years or resumed sometime later. Examples of life-long activities that might help your application would be music or dance involvement.

If you are a nontraditional applicant, then your more recent accomplishments are the most important to highlight. In that case, consider grouping your most important college-aged activities together under the "Other" designation.

16. What order should I input my activities in?
It doesn't matter! The AMCAS application automatically organizes the activities in a chronological order. Adcomms can reorder the activities by any parameter they choose.

17. What if the "Total Hours" for one of my activities is more than 999 hours?
The maximum that can now be entered are 99999 Total Hours.

18. How should I go about naming an activity?
-If your position comes with a title, you can use that if it reflects what you do adequately, eg, Vice President of a Student Rockclimbing Association (especially if the name of the organization is Hawkeye Mountain Goats, which doesn't tell us enough). Or, Research Affiliate, vs Research Associate, vs Research Tech, vs Researcher on Infant Cognition Project.

-If you are a general member of an organization and will hold a higher office in the future, since it can't be listed under Leadership on its own before you start the position, you can sneak it into the application with the title you pick, eg: General Member and President-Elect of Campus Recycling Initiative.

-If the activity covers two categories, since you can only designate one, in some instances you might choose a name that conveys the other designation. For example, Research/Lab can be paid, volunteer, or via class credit. Unless you are washing glassware, you might decide to select Research/Lab so it won't be overlooked, but could title the activity Animal Handler for Smith Lab through Work/Study Program. Exception: If your research activity earns class credit, the transcript will speak to this so it isn't necessary to repeat the information.

-If you are grouping multiple similar activities together to save space, be sure the title you pick encompases all of them, eg, Summer Camp Volunteerism, or College Seasonal Employment, or E-Publications of Graphic Novels, or Searchable Published Abstracts, or Leisuretime Activities, or Undergraduate Recognitions, or Fraternity Involvement.

-Try not to repeat the same organization name in the title you give the activity. Example:
For an experience titled: President of Pre-Medical Society, avoid using Organization: Pre-Med Society. Instead, consider an alternative for the organization name: perhaps incorporating AED spelled out, or Office of Collegiate Affairs (or whatever dept oversees all student organizations), or your school's name.

19. What would I use the "Repeated" button for?
Say you volunteered at the same hospital for three summers in a row. All the header information is the same for each summer experience but your participation wasn't continuous. So you can fill in a separate date range for each of the three summers and enter a different Total Hours. The same might apply to sport team involvement, thespian commitments, marathons run, seasonal job with the same company, etc. Note: The program will give you an error message if you don't enter them in chronological order. And it won't save the information you enter until the problem is corrected.

Another potential use would be to differentiate completed hours vs future projected hours for an activity in which you are already engaged, by using the current month as the End Date for the first date span and then again as the Start Date for the future hours.

20. How do I describe my Research-related activities?
Some Research description guidelines (YMMV):

Each project can start with a one-sentence nontechnical description that a lay person can understand. After that feel free to use jargon, if you have space for more discussion. Insert techniques you used. Don't feel compelled to add them all if there are 10.

Feel free to sort them into more than one space if you have multiple experiences. If grouping them, sort by timeframe, project type or discipline, importance, by class credit/volunteer vs employment.

You will have to decide how to present these experiences to best represent you. Perhaps projects from long ago need less emphasis. Those most recent will likely serve you better if more detail is given.

Any poster, pub, or presentation that took place at a campus venue should be mentioned with the affiliated Research entry. Any that occurred at a regional/national location or journal deserves its own spot, if you have space. If any of those data sharings came out of the same project, they could be mentioned together in one spot tagged under the highest prestige format: National Pub > Regional Pub > Abstract in a national journal > National Poster/Presentation > Regional Poster/Presentation > abstract in a conference brochure > campus pub > campus poster/presentation.

Any format for citation is fine, including abbreviated versions when you are short on space. Long author lists can be shortened by stating your place on the list, the PIs name, and et al., titles can be shortened to general topic, PMID# can substitute for much of a citation if necessary. If the paper is accepted but not yet published, add [in press] in place of unknown information.

If the data set from the campus presentation was later presented in poster format at a regional conference and then finally published in a national journal, you would cite is under Publication and then mention after the citation in the same space, "Data also presented orally at DDDD College Research Symposium x/x/xx, and again as a poster that won second place at the YYY Conference in Tucson z/zz/zz date."

If you were not the presenter for your poster, but your name is on the author list, you can include it, but give credit to the presenter, as research is a team sport, and it's important to give credit where it is due. If you presented, it's fine to say so.

There is little value in using a Conferences Attended slot, if you have already mentioned the name of the conference in a Posters/Presentation or Publications entry.

A manuscript in preparation or submitted doesn't belong on the application, but if you feel compelled to mention it regardless, add it at the end of a research description on the affiliated project. An exception might be if your productivity is proven, in which case a submitted manuscript can be added to the same space, if room is available, and if your PI will include mention of it in their letter for verification.

If you wrote the grant that got funding or navigated an IRB process, mention it.

Use the MM space for impact, insights, how you were inspired, future directions. If some of the research description spills over into this space, you won't be the only one who's used it that way. Just be sure that at the 700 character mark you end a paragraph so it will flow smoothly into the MM space (which is distinguished by a blank line, like a paragraph break).

Succinctness is always good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
FAQ (continued). This is a work in progress.

21. A) Does anyone have any recommendations on how to list a fraternity experience? I listed it as just a one year thing (president year) even though I was in it for four years. I held other positions throughout the four years that I could include.
If you want to list it as Leadership, you could include all the years where you held office (using the Repeated feature if this was just for the academic year and not year-round) and call it maybe, Leadership Roles with XXX Fraternity, giving just the dates of leadership in the header and those dedicated hours. You could refer to the membership in the narrative, if you like, but would not add those hours.

If you want to speak more widely about general frat membership and include leadership among those comments, you'd instead use the tag Extracurricular, or Other (and could include community service if that was a part of the experience, or alternatively, split it out with its own hours into a Community Service-tagged space).

B) I have the same question for sorority experience! I was a member for 3.5 years and our philanthropy was very important to me (a local women's shelter) so I would like to be able to list this as a volunteer experience.
If you want to list it as Community Service, you could include all the years where you gave time to your cause (using the Repeated feature if this was just for the academic year and not year-round) and call it maybe, Philanthropic Involvement with XXX Sorority, giving just the dates of volunteerism in the header and those dedicated hours. You could refer to the membership in the narrative, if you like, but would not add those hours.

If you want to speak more widely about general sorority membership and include philanthropy among those comments, you'd instead use the tag Extracurricular, or Other (and could include leadership roles with that, or alternatively, split them out with their own hours into a Leadership-tagged space).

22) Can I assume that adcomms will see my application as I see it in PDF (accessed through the Main Menu>Print Application>PDF view)?
The good news is yes. The application is transmitted in plain text and rendered in PDF by each school's specific application system. Why it is done this was partially simplicity of program used by the initial AMCAS system and partly for baseline security. You can't implant malicious code in plain text, so only the text of your application is transmitted, gets repopulated at each school's AMCAS-compliant system, and recreates the application. Who knew that nearly 20 years later, that simple text system is still the hardest to break into.

Proceed to questions and responses below.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am having some trouble classifying my activities for maximum benefit... Basically, I have some unique experiences that fit into multiple categories. In particular, I have the following issues.
-------
1. a) Lack of "non-clinical volunteering" hours, but plenty of service as part of clubs. What I mean is this.
I was philanthropy chair of my pre-med frat. While I was there, I held many many fundraisers for a local street clinic, and a food bank. In total, we provided a good amount of money to the clinic, and a ton (literally?) of food to the food bank. However, as far as I am aware, this is more "leadership" than "volunteering".

b) I also helped out plenty at random events, and those that I helped organize. 15 hours serving food at a homeless shelter, 10 hours with a local charity, 10 hours at a science day with the local elementary school.... You get the gist. Total 100 hours probably, but no particular events/organizations we aided consistently, besides our fundraisers.

c) I am also a member of another service club, where it is a similar thing (random events to help the community/fundraise/charities), and I also help organize there too.

My question is this - how do I put this in the activities section? Does "non-clinical volunteering" have to be with a specific org? How do I factor in service clubs, especially since not every hour with these clubs was spent volunteering?

N.B. I also have ~100 hours with a particular charity, so its not like I have nothing for this category...​
-------
2. I had a unique experience that was a combination clinical and research opportunity. Essentially, I helped manage an optometry clinic (great experience so I hope ADCOMS don't look down on optometry). However, we also had several doctors that work for a large company that produces medical devices, so we would aid them in clinical trials. I got to be a part of that, and also was brought on to help in a clinical research study using said devices. The research is being presented at a national conference, with me as an author. Recently, the company asked me to do research with them full time.

I don't know how to parse out all of this for the sake of AMCAS, not to mention the whole experience I want to write as "most meaningful". Here is what I can think of as possibilities to separate...
  • a) 3 activities - "Paid Clinical" with clinic, "Presentations/Posters" with work done with doctor, "Research" with new job at company
  • b) 2 activities - "Paid Clinical" with clinic, "Research" with dates encompassing the work done with the poster and the new company, listing them as the "employer". There will be overlap.
  • c) 2 activities - "Paid Clinical" with clinic and write the research in the description, "Research" with start date as date of the new job.
-------
3. I've attended a conference for the last 4 years focused on improving healthcare systems. I have implemented these values at my own work places with success, including new systems I designed. For the "Conferences Attended", do I include only hours spent actually attending the conference, or also those worked at my own clinics specifically introducing these values and systems? If only the hours spent at the conference, do I put the description of what I did under the conference activity or the work activity?

Thanks, that was long so I appreciate any guidance you may be able to give.
1) a. Leave it as Leadership.
b. Consider a Community Service entry named Short-Term Community Service and group them together. If you did this through the frat, use that for the Contact. In the narrative mention as many of the organizations and individual dates/hours as possible, and summarizing the rest.
c. Ditto, but add the club name to the title somehow. If some of it was organizational/leadership, you can include that fact in the title you give the activity. Be sure to distinguish hands-on service with a percent or subtotal of the hours you list.

2) I suggest using b) plus a third space for Presentations/Posters if it was an off-campus activity.

3) I suggest including only the hours you sat at the conference sessions. Use the space to discuss what you implemented at work after learning abnout it, as you can probably use the extra characters available.

Last edited:
I suspect you might have posted this before Lucca was ready for this thread to go live, so I hope you might be open to having the original post deleted if needbe, since the post content and response will still be visible here

Yea I found this thread through one of the larger stickies. No worries, you can delete the post!

Thanks for the great advice, with the "Short-Term Community Service" section I can just list all the random activities I've done with both clubs, and still keep the individual activity sections as leadership. The issue now is remembering dates and hours for every activity!

Just to clarify on the 2nd point. List the clinical experience overlapping with the research experience (start date as date starting on poster), then have a 3rd section as the actual date of the poster presentation? It is a private venture, so not associated with any campus.

Squeezing everything into just 15 slots is a task in itself lol.

1) with the "Short-Term Community Service" section I can just list all the random activities I've done with both clubs, and still keep the individual activity sections as leadership. The issue now is remembering dates and hours for every activity!

2) Just to clarify on the 2nd point. List the clinical experience overlapping with the research experience (start date as date starting on poster),
3) then have a 3rd section as the actual date of the poster presentation? It is a private venture, so not associated with any campus.
1) Other than the date span in the header, which should encompass all the activities, the dates in the narrative can be vaguer, like "Fall 2015" or 10/14. You might start practicing how you'll fit all those activities into 700-odd characters.

2) I'm suggesting that the non-research clinical work should be separated from all the research, each with their own (overlapping) dates and separate hours (albeit, estimated according to the best of your recall). In the narrative of the Research entry, explain about the employment transition, which reflects well on you. You are allowed to list future hours, but I suggest separating that out somehow, like by using the Repeated feature.

3) The poster entry generally includes only the hours you stood by the poster presenting it and the date of presentation, not the time you worked on it. It would give you more space to discuss the research if you need it, but also could contain only the title and other authors (aka, a full citation) with the note that you presented it rather than one of them.

Hello, non-traditional applicant here, (violinist). I've tried to condense my 9 year career to the following activities:
1. Private Lesson Instructor (private lessons)
2. Orchestral Performer (lots of orchestras)
3. Entrepreneurial (formed a group of musicians for hire etc, learned about business)
4. Classroom Teaching (taught as a middle school teacher in an inner city district)
5. Artistic Director (ran a program with a board etc.)
Is this enough condensing? I'm concerned my app will read too much violin, not enough medicine. I'd love some feedback. Thanks!

Hello, non-traditional applicant here, (violinist). I've tried to condense my 9 year career to the following activities:
1. Private Lesson Instructor (private lessons)
2. Orchestral Performer (lots of orchestras)
3. Entrepreneurial (formed a group of musicians for hire etc, learned about business)
4. Classroom Teaching (taught as a middle school teacher in an inner city district)
5. Artistic Director (ran a program with a board etc.)
Is this enough condensing? I'm concerned my app will read too much violin, not enough medicine. I'd love some feedback. Thanks!
How many other activities will you list, what categories do they fall under, and hours for each?

Are the bulk of musical activities in the earliest five years (of the 9)?

How many other activities will you list, what categories do they fall under, and hours for each?

Are the bulk of musical activities in the earliest five years (of the 9)?

Private Lessons ongoing from 2009-now~ 3000+hrs ~ Do I need to quantify in hrs?
Orchestra Musician ongoing from 2007-now ~ 3000+ hrs ~ ?
Classroom teaching 2014-2016 ~ 800+ hrs
Entrepreneurial 2011-2014 ~ 700 hrs
Artistic Director 2010-2011 ~ 1200 hrs
... other activities are:
Primary Care Scribe 2016-now ~ 300 hrs
Shadowing 2017 ~ 20 hrs
contributed to report submitted to health department 2016 ~30 hrs
ESL Volunteer 2016-now~ 50 hrs
Lifetime Sport (hobby) ~ (in high school I placed nationally and now I coach) Should I count as volunteering? or hobby? How do I count hours?
Humane Society Volunteer 2011 ~ 100 hrs

Should I include undergraduate/graduate school job working in student services? I ran a cultural event at one of the schools I'm applying to...Should I include a general "undergraduate experiences" entry and "graduate experiences" entry?

Private Lessons ongoing from 2009-now~ 3000+hrs ~ Do I need to quantify in hrs?
Orchestra Musician ongoing from 2007-now ~ 3000+ hrs ~ ?
Classroom teaching 2014-2016 ~ 800+ hrs
Entrepreneurial 2011-2014 ~ 700 hrs
Artistic Director 2010-2011 ~ 1200 hrs
... other activities are:
Primary Care Scribe 2016-now ~ 300 hrs
Shadowing 2017 ~ 20 hrs
contributed to report submitted to health department 2016 ~30 hrs
ESL Volunteer 2016-now~ 50 hrs
Lifetime Sport (hobby) ~ (in high school I placed nationally and now I coach) Should I count as volunteering? or hobby? How do I count hours?
Humane Society Volunteer 2011 ~ 100 hrs

Should I include undergraduate/graduate school job working in student services? I ran a cultural event at one of the schools I'm applying to...Should I include a general "undergraduate experiences" entry and "graduate experiences" entry?
Nontrads are often faced with the difficult challenge of editing their activities to fit into 15 spaces. It's a choice to pare off some years of involvement and include only the most recent years, with possibly a summary of extra years of involvement mentioned in the narrative without necessarily including those hours too.

Your HS sport is not worth mentioning IMO unless the activity continued into college and recent years. If you choose to include it, consider Extracurricular as the category.

I'd be in favor of one space summarizing all undergrad involvements that you feel worth mentioning due to their adding to your appeal. Ditto for grad school if it was 3+ years ago.

For your musical endeavors, you have the choice of 1) listing them as above, 2) Condensing the two teaching activities into one space and the two leadership activities together, or 3) having one Musical Involvement space that you designate Most Meaningful to get 1325 extra characters into which you'd pack most of the musically-related items. I'm not advocating for any particular approach, I'm just mentioning options.

Will your medically relevant entries have more hours than you've listed here, or are these your projections as of June 1?

Your questions and hourly totals give me an excuse to repost some relevant comments by another adcomm @Med Ed:

In reviewing an AMCAS application I actually spend the most time on the experiences (employment/activities) section. My rationale is that your metrics are easy to interpret and your butler may have written your personal statement, but the experiences you list shows me two important things: (1) what you have chosen to do with your available time, and (2) what you consider worth sharing.

Here's a little exercise. Lay out your proposed experience list in order of descending hours, the look at the list and try to see what it says about you. For example, if your list looks something like this (which is only a slight exaggeration):

1. Hobbies - Skiing/snowboarding, 9000 hours
2. Hobbies - Windsurfing, 7000 hours
3. Hobbies - Cycling (road and mountain), 5000 hours
4. Hobbies - Rock climbing, 2000 hours
5. Research, 100 hours
6. Shadowing, 20 hours
7. Habitat for Humanity, 8 hours

...it tells me that you are a very active, outdoorsy kind of person. Great. Good for you. It also tells me that you are more concerned with enjoying yourself than getting into medical school. Not so great. Bad for you.

A couple more easy rules to follow:

(1) If you have five or fewer entries don't apply. If you have 12 or more check for excessive filler.

(2) Don't list anything from high school or earlier. I don't care if you played for the state championship football team. I don't care if you had great accomplishments as a boy scout. I don't care if you were valedictorian of your high school. Pretend your life started on the first day of college.

(3) Don't include anything that is considered a normal part of existence for decent human beings. I have seen people list the deaths of relatives/friends in this section. If that event impacted your journey to medicine do yourself a favor and put it in the personal statement. I have seen people list being a husband/wife/father/mother/sister/brother/son/daughter/best friend in their experiences section. I can feel the earnestness oozing through the computer screen when I read these, but it doesn't make you look appealing. At best, it makes you look like a newborn fawn that just hobbled into traffic.

(4) In writing the entries I know there is an endless debate over being explanatory versus being brief, so you need to walk the line and be concise. That means you explain wherever necessary, and don't explain where it is unnecessary. Use enough words to get the point across and then stop. Tell what you learned only if you have something worthwhile to tell.

A good example is a poster presentation. Most everyone in medicine is familiar with posters. We know the drill. It is perfectly fine to simply list that you presented Poster X at Conference Y on date Z. You don't need to wax poetic about how crafting this poster taught you the value of teamwork and the true meaning of Christmas.

Now, if you have done something that is likely unfamiliar to the audience, like worked as a counselor at a camp that serves a specialized population, that deserves some verbiage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Nontrads are often faced with the difficult challenge of editing their activities to fit into 15 spaces. It's a choice to pare off some years of involvement and include only the most recent years, with possibly a summary of extra years of involvement mentioned in the narrative without necessarily including those hours too.

Your HS sport is not worth mentioning IMO unless the activity continued into college and recent years. If you choose to include it, consider Extracurricular as the category.

I'd be in favor of one space summarizing all undergrad involvements that you feel worth mentioning due to their adding to your appeal. Ditto for grad school if it was 3+ years ago.

For your musical endeavors, you have the choice of 1) listing them as above, 2) Condensing the two teaching activities into one space and the two leadership activities together, or 3) having one Musical Involvement space that you designate Most Meaningful to get 1325 extra characters into which you'd pack most of the musically-related items. I'm not advocating for any particular approach, I'm just mentioning options.

Will your medically relevant entries have more hours than you've listed here, or are these your projections as of June 1?

Your questions and hourly totals give me an excuse to repost some relevant comments by another adcomm @Med Ed:

In reviewing an AMCAS application I actually spend the most time on the experiences (employment/activities) section. My rationale is that your metrics are easy to interpret and your butler may have written your personal statement, but the experiences you list shows me two important things: (1) what you have chosen to do with your available time, and (2) what you consider worth sharing.

Here's a little exercise. Lay out your proposed experience list in order of descending hours, the look at the list and try to see what it says about you. For example, if your list looks something like this (which is only a slight exaggeration):

1. Hobbies - Skiing/snowboarding, 9000 hours
2. Hobbies - Windsurfing, 7000 hours
3. Hobbies - Cycling (road and mountain), 5000 hours
4. Hobbies - Rock climbing, 2000 hours
5. Research, 100 hours
6. Shadowing, 20 hours
7. Habitat for Humanity, 8 hours

...it tells me that you are a very active, outdoorsy kind of person. Great. Good for you. It also tells me that you are more concerned with enjoying yourself than getting into medical school. Not so great. Bad for you.

A couple more easy rules to follow:

(1) If you have five or fewer entries don't apply. If you have 12 or more check for excessive filler.

(2) Don't list anything from high school or earlier. I don't care if you played for the state championship football team. I don't care if you had great accomplishments as a boy scout. I don't care if you were valedictorian of your high school. Pretend your life started on the first day of college.

(3) Don't include anything that is considered a normal part of existence for decent human beings. I have seen people list the deaths of relatives/friends in this section. If that event impacted your journey to medicine do yourself a favor and put it in the personal statement. I have seen people list being a husband/wife/father/mother/sister/brother/son/daughter/best friend in their experiences section. I can feel the earnestness oozing through the computer screen when I read these, but it doesn't make you look appealing. At best, it makes you look like a newborn fawn that just hobbled into traffic.

(4) In writing the entries I know there is an endless debate over being explanatory versus being brief, so you need to walk the line and be concise. That means you explain wherever necessary, and don't explain where it is unnecessary. Use enough words to get the point across and then stop. Tell what you learned only if you have something worthwhile to tell.

A good example is a poster presentation. Most everyone in medicine is familiar with posters. We know the drill. It is perfectly fine to simply list that you presented Poster X at Conference Y on date Z. You don't need to wax poetic about how crafting this poster taught you the value of teamwork and the true meaning of Christmas.

Now, if you have done something that is likely unfamiliar to the audience, like worked as a counselor at a camp that serves a specialized population, that deserves some verbiage.
Thanks for the feedback! I agree, the hours are lopsided and unfortunately, no I do not anticipate a change. My music hours represent full time work. My hobbies are currently biochemistry and physics. Additional free time is spent scribing and volunteering. I'd delay another year, but I'm pushing for this cycle to avoid yet another year heading in two different directions. I appreciate this perspective and will try to focus on other application elements being strong. I hope other non-traditional students find this feedback helpful.:)

Question!

I have several Teaching/Tutoring/Assistant Experiences, and several lab ones as well. Would it count as 1 of the 15 if I had 5 experiences listed under this? I also have 6 research experiences, would it count underneath "Research" as just 1? Are these "sub-experiences" each able to have the 700 character allocation?

Another thing: If I applied and won some internal funding from my school for some projects, should I mention that? Even if they're pitiful...$500 to $1k... (I go to a relatively small school)

If I want to list research as one of my most significant experiences, would I list research, generally, or a specific lab/project?

Last edited:
I did chemistry research in the same lab over a couple summers and then my senior year, and after graduation, continued to analyze data, make a poster, and write up our findings for publication. If I am still writing the paper, should I put the end date as "now", or as my date of graduation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
1) I have several Teaching/Tutoring/Assistant Experiences, and several lab ones as well. Would it count as 1 of the 15 if I had 5 experiences listed under this?

2) I also have 6 research experiences, would it count underneath "Research" as just 1?
3) Are these "sub-experiences" each able to have the 700 character allocation?

4) If I applied and won some internal funding from my school for some projects, should I mention that? Even if they're pitiful...$500 to $1k... (I go to a relatively small school)

5) If I want to list research as one of my most significant experiences, would I list research, generally, or a specific lab/project?
1) I you list multiple similar experiences in one space, it counts as one of the 15 slots available.

2) Yes, if you squeeze them all into one slot, but it is hard to imagine you could do justice to five research experiences in one space.
3) No, you'd just get 700 characters, unless you designate it as Most Meaningful, in which case you get 1325 more characters.

4) Yes. You can mention them under Honors/Awards.

5) You could pick one research experience mentioned on its own in a space as MM, or include all five and make it more general in terms of discussing insights and impact.

I did chemistry research in the same lab over a couple summers and then my senior year, and after graduation, continued to analyze data, make a poster, and write up our findings for publication. If I am still writing the paper, should I put the end date as "now", or as my date of graduation?
Your situation is perfect for using the Repeated tab. For the final entry (you get up to four repetitions), you can extend the End Date into the future, but no later than Aug 2018.

1) I you list multiple similar experiences in one space, it counts as one of the 15 slots available.

2) Yes, if you squeeze them all into one slot, but it is hard to imagine you could do justice to five research experiences in one space.
3) No, you'd just get 700 characters, unless you designate it as Most Meaningful, in which case you get 1325 more characters.

4) Yes. You can mention them under Honors/Awards.

5) You could pick one research experience mentioned on its own in a space as MM, or include all five and make it more general in terms of discussing insights and impact.

Thank you, Catalystik. What do you suggest doing for my tutoring/TA and research/lab experiences? I would like to put a "general" research section for one of my most meaningful activities. To give some detail into each lab, would you suggest that for 6 lab gigs, I would use perhaps 3 experience slots, containing the descriptions of 2 research experiences each, or something like that?

If I start filling out the AMCAS app right now, including ECs and listing LOR writers, does all of the info I put get erased and reset in May, when the application actually opens?

If I start filling out the AMCAS app right now, including ECs and listing LOR writers, does all of the info I put get erased and reset in May, when the application actually opens?
Unfortunately, it won't appear in the 2018 application if you did not submit in 2017.

Last edited:
Thank you, Catalystik. What do you suggest doing for my tutoring/TA and research/lab experiences? I would like to put a "general" research section for one of my most meaningful activities. To give some detail into each lab, would you suggest that for 6 lab gigs, I would use perhaps 3 experience slots, containing the descriptions of 2 research experiences each, or something like that?
Are any of the research or teaching gigs long enough ago or insignificant enough to omit? Can you group them into more spaces by some commonality, like undergrad vs grad vs workplace, or by topic, etc? Are you a candidate for highly-selective, research-strong med schools, in which case probably all the research should be touched on to show continuity? Or are you more likely to get into a school that emphasizes primary care, in which case it might be strategic to consider de-emphasizing the research involvement.

I'm not asking you to answer these questions, but rather to consider what you want your application to say about your focus.

Also, keep in mind that you're supposed to be picking the most important 15 activities that support your candidacy. Packing multiple activities into too many of the spots will be frowned on by some adcomms, so be judicious about your choices.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to respond to questions like these!

Is there a minimum number of hours that people usually think makes an activity "worth it" to put down?

I went on a service trip and learned TONS about problems of homelessness/cycle of poverty, which led me to reach out to a local homeless shelter and continue working with that population. It wouldve probably been more helpful for me to just donate the money I spent on the plane ticket, but I wouldn't have had that learning experience. Wondering if these kinds of short term trips are worth a slot, even though I'd say it was only ~40 hrs of "volunteering" in a week.

Is there a minimum number of hours that people usually think makes an activity "worth it" to put down?

I went on a service trip and learned TONS about problems of homelessness/cycle of poverty, which led me to reach out to a local homeless shelter and continue working with that population. It wouldve probably been more helpful for me to just donate the money I spent on the plane ticket, but I wouldn't have had that learning experience. Wondering if these kinds of short term trips are worth a slot, even though I'd say it was only ~40 hrs of "volunteering" in a week.
A short-term experience with a significant impact can be "space-worthy.". It isn't uncommon to see activities from an Alternative Spring Break similar to what you describe for about 40 hours.

I'm glad you didn't ask if you could include hours from the trip spent on sleep and socializing, the answer for which, of course, is no.

Are any of the research or teaching gigs long enough ago or insignificant enough to omit? Can you group them into more spaces by some commonality, like undergrad vs grad vs workplace, or by topic, etc? Are you a candidate for highly-selective, research-strong med schools, in which case probably all the research should be touched on to show continuity? Or are you more likely to get into a school that emphasizes primary care, in which case it might be strategic to consider de-emphasizing the research involvement.

I'm not asking you to answer these questions, but rather to consider what you want your application to say about your focus.

Also, keep in mind that you're supposed to be picking the most important 15 activities that support your candidacy. Packing multiple activities into too many of the spots will be frowned on by some adcomms, so be judicious about your choices.

Hi Catalystik,

I'm currently a senior in undergrad – and all of my research experiences have been during the past few years (1 summer gig though). I do believe I am a candidate for research heavy schools – I have a good GPA and MCAT. Unfortunately, I don't have a publication from any of my undergrad research, except for one summer where I interned at an Ivy lab (co-author pending revisions).

For Tutoring/Teaching Assistant Jobs, do you think its necessary to go into heavy detail? I feel these are quite self-explanatory, and can probably fit in 2-3 per experience.

Thank you.

I'm running out of characters in the Presentations/Posters category. I've looked through old threads, and the advice seems to be to truncate the author list, by naming your place in the line up.

So I have some posters that have my PI first, then a long list of students afterwards. Say there are 6 students total...how would I format that?

PI name, et al., My name (4th author), et al., Title of Poster, Conference, etc

Or "My name" (4th author) and "PI" et al., Title of Poster, Conference, etc

The first option seems to give more info, but looks a little weird to me.

Alternatively, I could keep my first author posters but omit ones where my name is further down the line up, but the posters are all for different projects.

Unfortunately, it won't appear in the 2018 application if you did not submit in 2017.

Just to expand on this as applications for both the current AMCAS cycle and the next AMCAS cycle will be active at the same time.

The current cycle and application is the "2017 AMCAS."
The new application cycle is the "2018 AMCAS" and is opening on May 2nd

Applicants need to make sure that they log into the correct application.
Every year there will be applicant that fill out the wrong application including the tedious transcript/coursework only to find out they must redo it entirely.

What is the best way to order the activities? Should I order it in decreasing time commitment or should I group similar activities next to each other?

Will it look weird to have a research for credit course or two on my transcript but not list them in my experiences? They were so long ago (10 years), and I didn't really do anything significant. My recent research experiences are much more interesting and significant. I was planning on listing only those.

1) I'm currently a senior in undergrad – and all of my research experiences have been during the past few years (1 summer gig though). I do believe I am a candidate for research heavy schools – I have a good GPA and MCAT. Unfortunately, I don't have a publication from any of my undergrad research, except for one summer where I interned at an Ivy lab (co-author pending revisions).

2) For Tutoring/Teaching Assistant Jobs, do you think its necessary to go into heavy detail? I feel these are quite self-explanatory, and can probably fit in 2-3 per experience.
1) Lack of a publication to list will not reflect negatively. Most don't have one. The "2-3 research experiences per space," one being MM, is probably the best way for you to go. Another potential grouping criteria might be if some were brief, like just one term or so.

2) No, lots of detail isn't necessary when an activity is pretty much universally understood by the audience.

I'm running out of characters in the Presentations/Posters category. I've looked through old threads, and the advice seems to be to truncate the author list, by naming your place in the line up.

So I have some posters that have my PI first, then a long list of students afterwards. Say there are 6 students total...how would I format that?

PI name, et al., My name (4th author), et al., Title of Poster, Conference, etc

Or "My name" (4th author) and "PI" et al., Title of Poster, Conference, etc

The first option seems to give more info, but looks a little weird to me.

Alternatively, I could keep my first author posters but omit ones where my name is further down the line up, but the posters are all for different projects.
With a poster citation, you can be as brief as "Fourth author of poster on Bioluminescence of Goldfish, presented by the PI (plus or minus her name as space permits) at XXX Conference 5/15," truncating both the author list and the title.

For posters where your name was further down on the list or subject was less important, you can summarize like, "Additional co-authored posters, as 5th, 7th, and 15th author also presented at national or regional conferences." Read post #2, item 20 above, if you missed it for other potential solutions.

Will it look weird to have a research for credit course or two on my transcript but not list them in my experiences? They were so long ago (10 years), and I didn't really do anything significant. My recent research experiences are much more interesting and significant. I was planning on listing only those.
No.

1) Lack of a publication to list will not reflect negatively. Most don't have one. The "2-3 research experiences per space," one being MM, is probably the best way for you to go. Another potential grouping criteria might be if some were brief, like just one term or so.

2) No, lots of detail isn't necessary when an activity is pretty much universally understood by the audience.

Thanks, Catalystik. Would you recommend me talking about all of my responsibilities in the lab – for example (1) talking about the purpose of the project, (2) talk about the assays that I did, what I designed and (3) that i taught underclassmen? I'm not sure if I have to go about talking about how the research improved my critical thinking, scientific interrogation, etc., considering I work in multiple labs?

I've read online that for even the non-MM activities, I should try to tie them back into how it inspired me to become a doctor, what I learned etc.. For TAing/Tutoring do I need to talk about how it inspired me to teach, etc., something like that? Or should I just list what I had done (for non-MM)?

Last edited:
1) Would you recommend me talking about all of my responsibilities in the lab – for example (1) talking about the purpose of the project, (2) talk about the assays that I did, what I designed and (3) that i taught underclassmen?
2) I'm not sure if I have to go about talking about how the research improved my critical thinking, scientific interrogation, etc., considering I work in multiple labs?

3) I've read online that for even the non-MM activities, I should try to tie them back into how it inspired me to become a doctor, what I learned etc.. For TAing/Tutoring do I need to talk about how it inspired me to teach, etc., something like that? Or should I just list what I had done (for non-MM)?
1) As space permits, any of the topics you mention are fair game. You'll have to make a draft and see what fits into the character restrictions.

2) I agree.

3) I disagree that everything needs to tie back to medicine. How tedious might that be to plow through? If you have extra space, you can consider going into impact, inspiration for future endeavors, etc, but most go into those areas only for MM entries due to space restrictions. Also, if you've said what needs to be said, don't feel compelled to fill all the remaining space. Succinctness is appreciated. Fluff is not.

What is the best way to order the activities? Should I order it in decreasing time commitment or should I group similar activities next to each other?
Don't worry about ordering them, as they will be reassorted by various criteria as each school chooses.

I believe that the AMCAS primary orders them via start date when entering. You have no choice in the matter. As the 'Cat said, schools will slice and dice them as they see fit.

1) As space permits, any of the topics you mention are fair game. You'll have to make a draft and see what fits into the character restrictions.

2) I agree.

3) I disagree that everything needs to tie back to medicine. How tedious might that be to plow through? If you have extra space, you can consider going into impact, inspiration for future endeavors, etc, but most go into those areas only for MM entries due to space restrictions. Also, if you've said what needs to be said, don't feel compelled to fill all the remaining space. Succinctness is appreciated. Fluff is not.

Thank you for all of your help! I really do appreciate it.

Hi everyone,

I have 3 tutoring positions for my application. Obviously, I'm trying to make the positions sound as active as possible, and give a bit of detail as to what I've done. I'm going to group the three under one experience, but I won't have space to talk about what I learned, how that contributed to my life goals, etc.

Any suggestions? Will I be marked down for not talking about how these things have affected me?

I have 3 tutoring positions for my application. Obviously, I'm trying to make the positions sound as active as possible, and give a bit of detail as to what I've done. I'm going to group the three under one experience, but I won't have space to talk about what I learned, how that contributed to my life goals, etc.

Any suggestions? Will I be marked down for not talking about how these things have affected me?
If these activities had sufficient impact/inspiration attached to them, you have the opportunity to make Teaching a Most Meaningful entry so you'll have the extra 1325 characters to play with. But if other activities take precedence in your mind, then not to worry. You won't be "marked down" for the lack of sharing these insights. All activities don't lend themselves to such ponderings, anyway.

Another venue for sharing those thoughts might be Secondary applications that have appropriate essay prompts.

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but is it a HIPAA violation to mention hospice patients' first names and some bit of their background in my personal statement?

I wasn't sure where to ask this, but is it a HIPAA violation to mention hospice patients' first names and some bit of their background in my personal statement?

When referring to specific patient interactions I had in my personal statement/secondaries, I used a title and first initial like "Mr. B." or "Mrs. A." I would advise you to do the same for the sake of the patient's anonymity (and having their name doesn't add anything to your story). As for describing their background with redacted names, I think that's okay.

When referring to specific patient interactions I had in my personal statement/secondaries, I used a title and first initial like "Mr. B." or "Mrs. A." I would advise you to do the same for the sake of the patient's anonymity (and having their name doesn't add anything to your story). As for describing their background with redacted names, I think that's okay.
Or you can change the name to a pseudonym.

Is listing hobbies really important? I play soccer and food blog in my free time. I filled all 15 spots, would it be worth it to remove something and add hobbies instead?

Is listing hobbies really important? I play soccer and food blog in my free time. I filled all 15 spots, would it be worth it to remove something and add hobbies instead?
Do you have another activity that shows you have a way to de-stress? Do any of them make you stand out in some way and seem more memorable? Food blogging is less common and a good candidate if you don't. And soccer can be mentioned in the same space.

Can someone look over my tentative activities list real quick? I have no idea how these should look or how things should be grouped. Some details obscured/ rearranged for anonymity. Research is not included here correct? Bolded entries I was most concerned about.

1. Good longer-term clinical volunteering experience
2. Long-term tutoring job
3. Scribing- full time--- Just started this job but I assume I will continue and it's great so far. Is it ok to leave as one of my three most meaningful assuming I don't get fired? I didn't talk about it in my PS. I'll have around 250-300 hours by June.
-------------
4. Good nonclinical experience I enjoy, only 20hrs so far
5. Other longer-term hospital volunteering
6. Other tutoring job (walk-in, 250 hrs?), --- same employer as #2 but different responsibilities. Worth it to have separate entry or just combine it with #2?
7. Awards/scholarships
8. Shadowing- Just a few shifts with a couple specialists
9. Nonclinical volunteering- leadership position- 30hrs
10. Nonclinical volunteering- assorted community service-25hrs total. ---Combine it with #9?
11. Campus leadership position
12. Clubs- a variety of either religious or pre-med/volunteering clubs. Probably 4-5 clubs total here and there, but they fell into those two categories so can I just say two clubs? Should I do one entry for religious clubs and one for pre-med/volunteering or combine into one entry? No leadership positions or anything.
13. Hobby

Thanks!

Can someone look over my tentative activities list real quick? I have no idea how these should look or how things should be grouped. Some details obscured/ rearranged for anonymity. Bolded entries I was most concerned about.

0. Research is not included here correct?
1. Good longer-term clinical volunteering experience
2. Long-term tutoring job
3. Scribing- full time--- Just started this job but I assume I will continue and it's great so far. Is it ok to leave as one of my three most meaningful assuming I don't get fired? I didn't talk about it in my PS. I'll have around 250-300 hours by June.
-------------
4. Good nonclinical experience I enjoy, only 20hrs so far
5. Other longer-term hospital volunteering
6. Other tutoring job (walk-in, 250 hrs?), --- same employer as #2 but different responsibilities. Worth it to have separate entry or just combine it with #2?
7. Awards/scholarships
8. Shadowing- Just a few shifts with a couple specialists
9. Nonclinical volunteering- leadership position- 30hrs
10. Nonclinical volunteering- assorted community service-25hrs total. ---Combine it with #9?
11. Campus leadership position
12. Clubs- a variety of either religious or pre-med/volunteering clubs. Probably 4-5 clubs total here and there, but they fell into those two categories so can I just say two clubs? Should I do one entry for religious clubs and one for pre-med/volunteering or combine into one entry? No leadership positions or anything.
13. Hobby
0. Yes, research is included here.

1. It's Employment - Medical/Clinical. Yes, it can be MM. Many will look on it as Shadowing also if you point that out.

6. Combine it with #2, as the Contact is presumably the same, unless you have so much to say about it that you need the extra space.. The differences can be mentioned in the narrative.

9. Maybe put #9 (with mention of the leadership role), #10, and possibly #4 together to make it more substantive.

12. Clubs without leadership or volunteer opportunities don't help you much. You might prune some of them and group the others by volunteerism type, or somesuch. You will want to give separate dates, hours, club name, and Contacts in the narrative for those that aren't in the header info.

14. Research

15. Maybe poster/presentation or publication, if done.

Hey everyone,

I was in a club in college where we educated students about chronic diseases, prevention, and even went out into the community to give talks/presentations and table. Just to confirm: this would fall under the category of community Service/Volunteer – non medical/clinical right?

I was in a club in college where we educated students about chronic diseases, prevention, and even went out into the community to give talks/presentations and table. Just to confirm: this would fall under the category of community Service/Volunteer – non medical/clinical right?
Yes, but you could just as well call it Teaching, if you have plenty of community service already.

Status
Not open for further replies.